PDA

View Full Version : General Awesome DeLorean for sale!!! Quick somebody bid on it!!!

Nicholas R
09-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Hell of a find! A few minor fixes and this thing could be worth some money! Dont miss out!

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/19112711/COPART_1981_DELOREAN_DELOREAN_NONREPAIRABLE_TITLE_ AMARILLO_TX/

dvonk
09-24-2011, 08:56 PM
ugh. :dead: i actually wince every time (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?974-VIN-unknown-Frame-10197-crashed-Delorean-photos-dismantling-for-parts&p=10436&viewfull=1#post10436) i see that poor DeLorean... but when i read the color is "burn," i cant help but laugh. :facepalm:

for posterity, the crispy-toasted DeLorean is VIN 7134.

stevedmc
09-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't know if I should cry or laugh.

sean
09-24-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't know if I should cry or laugh.

Yes.

It is a shame that crispy critter has to keep popping up.

DMCMW Dave
09-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Aw man, that'll buff right out.

coreydmc
09-24-2011, 09:59 PM
maybe Ed from Delorean One was in it when it burned.

tyb323
09-24-2011, 11:54 PM
maybe Ed from Delorean One was in it when it burned.

Not very polite...

SIMid
09-25-2011, 02:59 AM
Theres nothing left of her!! :(

Lenny
09-25-2011, 08:39 AM
I have to tow my D to DMCF in Boca Raton becuase it has a strong gas odor. I called my wife over to show her the photo and tell her "That's why I'm towing instead of driving.

She looked at it and said "The good news is your car just got a little more valuable because there is 1 less Delorean in the world"

Dracula
09-25-2011, 11:17 AM
There's the first solid candidate for DMCH's new underbodies.

Masaes727
09-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Could that VIN be turned into a new build?

sean
09-25-2011, 11:44 AM

I'd imagine since it is carrying a "non repairable" title I'd think they would not want anything to do with it.

timothymoore
09-25-2011, 12:03 PM
ugh. :dead: i actually wince every time (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?974-VIN-unknown-Frame-10197-crashed-Delorean-photos-dismantling-for-parts&p=10436&viewfull=1#post10436) i see that poor DeLorean... but when i read the color is "burn," i cant help but laugh. :facepalm:

for posterity, the crispy-toasted DeLorean is VIN 7134.

i wonder how much it would cost DMCH to restore that bad boy

nullset
09-25-2011, 02:39 PM
I found my lemons Delorean!

Seriously though, I wonder if at least the engine is servicable.

--buddy

DMC3165
09-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Not for anything, but why even sell something like this? I can't see how any of this could be useful except for a rediculous lawn ornament.

nullset
09-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Not for anything, but why even sell something like this? I can't see how any of this could be useful except for a rediculous lawn ornament.

It's probably an insurance company trying to get a little money out of it after paying a claim.

It'll probably end up going into a scrap heap.

--buddy

sean
09-25-2011, 02:54 PM
It'll probably end up going into a scrap heap.

--buddy

looking through all the pics, all I see is scrap.

TTait
09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
There might be a usable muffler in there somewhere... Oil pan?

Masaes727
09-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Water pump pulley looked ok. In Texas and Florida it is easier to "wash" a title. That would make it a rebuild candidate.

protodelorean
09-25-2011, 10:07 PM

Maybe...if they build their new underbodies! :)

kajcienski
09-25-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm with Dave S - That should buff right out. Besides, I think I see a left front fender in there. Must be worth at least 4k starting at that ;) Hehe...

Canon20DFan
09-26-2011, 12:04 PM
<placing bid on car>
<using Buy Now feature>
<arranging shipping>

protodelorean
09-26-2011, 12:32 PM
<placing bid on car>
<using Buy Now feature>
<arranging shipping>

If it fits, it ships!
http://www.metermail.com/images/Uploads/Image/PM_ALL_Boxes.jpg

DMC3165
09-26-2011, 12:48 PM
<placing bid on car>
<using Buy Now feature>
<arranging shipping>

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to do with it once you get it?

Dracula
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to do with it once you get it?

I'm sure he was joking. There's not enough left to justify shipping it.

DMC3165
09-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm sure he was joking. There's not enough left to justify shipping it.

You never know. Maybe he's some new wave sculptor that will use it as his next piece. I can't see it being useful for much else. Maybe a 2500 pound paperweight.

sean
09-26-2011, 01:01 PM
You never know. Maybe he's some new wave sculptor that will use it as his next piece....

This could be! We had a SEDOC member's wife who I would send my used DMC parts (door struts, relays and such) and she would make "art" out of them. She was pretty good too but I never got any of it.

Dracula
09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
I suppose it may have SOME artistic value. After all, the intake manifold makes a great support for my new glass coffee table and I use a gas flap hood as a wall hanging.

robvanderveer
09-26-2011, 01:52 PM
In a morbid kind of way, it'll ship perfectly in a medium urn. That is, if you want to keep your D on a mantlepiece.

Jeff K
09-26-2011, 02:11 PM
One crappier then when I bought Stinky the D-lo!

Mike C.
09-26-2011, 02:31 PM
If it fits, it ships!
http://www.metermail.com/images/Uploads/Image/PM_ALL_Boxes.jpg

I lol'd

DMC3165
09-27-2011, 07:45 AM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, does anyone think the torsion bars are good? It could be worth it just to pick it for that. Outside of that I think it very unlikely to find anything useful.

Maybe the frame could be salvaged if its not warped?

LEVY
09-27-2011, 07:48 AM
After that heat, I don't think so!

But you never know!

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, does anyone think the torsion bars are good? It could be worth it just to pick it for that. Outside of that I think it very unlikely to find anything useful.

LEVY
09-30-2011, 09:49 AM
OK,

To all those who posted on this thread:

I ended up buying this "vehicle" just for the muffler. I own some land in Amarillo and this "magnificent" vehicle is already there.

Equipment needed to load this "vehicle" on my trailer:

Fork Lift
Shovel
Broom

So far, the muffler is in very good condition, the oil pan is good, the engine seems to be ok, unless water ruined it inside.

I have a Volvo engine and now with this oil pan it will be converted to a Delorean engine.

In response to DMC3165, the torsion bars still hold pressure but due to the overheating, I doubt those are still goog enough to be used on a regular basis.

Engine block and transmission case seems OK but need to check the inside.

Will check torsion bars to see if they could be used at least for show, don't know how easy (or hard) to be install/uninstall for show.

I believe I got my $90.00 USD worth of parts (muffler & oil pan)
Brake discs seems very good but don't know if they could be used safely.
Frame seems to be straight but I doubt it could be reused.

Levy

DMC3165
09-30-2011, 10:37 AM
When you decide to gut this thing, let me know if you find a five speed trans under there that hasn't melted into a puddle of aluminum. Or had the bottom torn off from being dragged around. Might be interested in it if you want to sell it.

LEVY
09-30-2011, 11:00 AM
I will,

So far, it looks good outside. I have an auto, so no need for manual.

Levy

When you decide to gut this thing, let me know if you find a five speed trans under there that hasn't melted into a puddle of aluminum. Or had the bottom torn off from being dragged around. Might be interested in it if you want to sell it.

dvonk
09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
im genuinely interested in how the usable parts look, some before/after pics might be pretty impressive! :wink:

Dangermouse
09-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for saving this awesome car. :headbang:

Are either of the VIN plates still there - pics please

LEVY
09-30-2011, 11:40 AM
I have not seen this "awesome " car myself, I send someone to inspect it before the sale, then he went to pick it up and took it to my place.

He inspected the car and told me this:

The engine itself looks good, but one of the valve covers is slightly melted.
Brake discs looks like they were replaced right before the incident.
Transmission looks good but wee still need to take it out and clean it to check for exterior damage.
Torsion bars still hold pressure.
Muffler looks solid. :smile:
I doubt we would find any vin numbers
Pink Texas Title as non-repairable
Flux Capacitor burned beyond repair, please don't ask.
Frame looks good, no rust. (don't count on it).
I forgot to ask about uphlolstery.

Levy

Dangermouse
09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
"upholstery - lol

I would look in the pile of stuff you used the broom for :) for any vin plates

A frame number should still be there and would be useful for Shannon.

LEVY
09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Label on the frame:

Frame number: 007261

Levy

"upholstery - lol

I would look in the pile of stuff you used the broom for :) for any vin plates

A frame number should still be there and would be useful for Shannon.

LEVY
09-30-2011, 01:28 PM
im genuinely interested in how the usable parts look, some before/after pics might be pretty impressive! :wink:

"Before" picture bellow! :hihi2:

Dangermouse
09-30-2011, 08:26 PM
:sad30:

Before what, though ?

DMCH James
10-01-2011, 09:06 AM
This car belonged to a younger DeLorean owner - he and his mom came to many DeLorean events together with the car over the years. After he graduated from college, he moved back east and left the car in his mom's garage until he got settled. He suffered a tragic accident and drowned before he could retrieve the car. Grief-stricken, his mom held on to the car after his passing, and last year the Amarillo wildfires destroyed her home, and the last link she had to her son.

http://amarillo.com/stories/030410/obi_obit3.shtml

James

LEVY
10-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Now I feel sad!

I had feelings that this car was destroyed by Amarillo's wildfires but never would imagine such a tragedy!

Hope his parents are doing fine.

This car belonged to a younger DeLorean owner - he and his mom came to many DeLorean events together with the car over the years. After he graduated from college, he moved back east and left the car in his mom's garage until he got settled. He suffered a tragic accident and drowned before he could retrieve the car. Grief-stricken, his mom held on to the car after his passing, and last year the Amarillo wildfires destroyed her home, and the last link she had to her son.

http://amarillo.com/stories/030410/obi_obit3.shtml

James

Ryan King
10-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow...thats heavy.

Jonathan
06-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Now I feel sad!

I had feelings that this car was destroyed by Amarillo's wildfires but never would imagine such a tragedy!

Hope his parents are doing fine.

I don't think I saw this thread when it was first written, but saw the link to it today.

Assuming it wasn't a gesture that would reopen old wounds, Levy, I wonder if there is some of the car left that you could melt down and make into something to give to the parents as a keepsake in memory of their son? Perhaps some of the stainless could be used to make a set of rings for the parents or a bracelet or pendant? I know similar things have been done with wedding rings from grandparents where part of it is made into the younger person's ring. Perhaps if they can't have the car anymore because of the wildfires, they could have something else? Depending on who you might know that can work with such things, maybe a stainless steel picture frame could be made? Just some ideas...

Ron
06-21-2013, 03:39 PM
$.02
I dunno?? It's been ~3 years...

Jonathan
06-21-2013, 03:47 PM
$.02
I dunno?? It's been ~3 years...

Yea, agreed. I wouldn't want to reopen any old wounds either. Might have been a nice gesture if someone would have thought of it at the time. Not my call though, so it is what it is.

DashEight
06-21-2013, 07:24 PM
So that begs the question in my mind:

What would you hope your loved ones would do with your car when you "move on"?

ccurzio
06-21-2013, 07:40 PM
So that begs the question in my mind:

What would you hope your loved ones would do with your car when you "move on"?

No it doesn't. It "raises" the question. ;)

That said, I would want the car to be kept in the family.

Iznodmad
06-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Veering OT, but when I am dead and gone I have left instructions that each son of mine (I have 2) may inherit one car each. That is if they have the interest to keep the DeLoreans. Who knows, bc they are only ages 3 and 5. If not, I hope my wife will seek the help of others in the community to get fair market value for the cars, parts, memorabilia, etc.

DashEight
06-21-2013, 09:33 PM
No it doesn't. It "raises" the question. ;)

That said, I would want the car to be kept in the family.

Yeah, I thought about the family thing... I think I need to communicate that keeping or selling my cars are equal options in that event. If they want to keep one or all doesn't matter to me, so long as it is their choice.

Michael
06-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Using Spittybug's Lifebridge card, I left instructions for my wife for all of my valuables and "collectables". The DeLorean is to be sent to DMCMW for consignment sale.

I also used the card to catergorize everything with pictures(like my guns and watches) and assigned very conservative dollar estimates denoting bottom dollar for each item should she want to sell them. This way nobody will come along and steal anything for .10 cents on the dollar. With the 3 mil. she won in the lotto she can take the money from the DeLorean sale and "blow it all on hats".