PDA

View Full Version : Draining coolant from Engine - plug stuck

Citizen
04-11-2019, 05:29 PM
I have a coolant line to replace near the radiator, and I need to also replace my water pump. So I went out to first drain the block. I started to remove the drain plug on the passenger side, but it's stuck. I applied a good/fair amount of force, but the plug is definitely stuck. Before I go and apply real force (like using a cheater or something), is there something else I should do? I don't want to rip out the side of the block using too much force. Should I use some sort of penetrating oil first? If so, how does the oil get deep into the threads of the plug? And, do you have any recommendations for brand/type of oil?

Thanks,
Thomas

AugustneverEnds
04-11-2019, 06:21 PM
I'd would spray a penetrant and let it sit overnight. PB Blaster is available just about anywhere, I personally have had luck with Loctite Freeze and Release. Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil is supposed to be the blue chip stuff but I haven't given it a try.

If chemical warfare fails you will probably end up putting a breaker bar on it and relying on brute force.

David T
04-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Leave the plug alone. Disconnect one of the hoses going to the long pipes underneath.

AugustneverEnds
04-12-2019, 01:51 PM
On second thought, I agree with David T. If the plug doesn't come out easily there is a high probability forcing the plug out will damage the threads and then your problems only get worse. Just drain from the hoses as much as you can and flush it to get the remainder from the block.

mr_maxime
04-12-2019, 04:42 PM
You don't need to drain the block to change the water pump. Drain the big pipes at the middle of the car. Then you can use a shop vac to get the small amount in the pipes in the VOD.

Josh
04-12-2019, 05:55 PM
Leave it in.

The only time I fully drain an engine block of coolant is when it is upside down on an engine stand. Even then the plugs can stay in.

If you were to drain the engine block it would be more difficult to bleed the system after as well. It is already difficult enough.