PDA

View Full Version : What fuel pump?

dmc4087
05-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Hi all

For others with the carb conversion, just wondering what fuel pump you used?

It would be nice to have a direct replacement for the high pressure pump but I cant seem to find anything with the same diameter. I am thinking of using an external pump, with the in-tank pump left in place - I am hoping the new pump could draw through the old pump?

Thanks

OverlandMan
05-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Hi all

For others with the carb conversion, just wondering what fuel pump you used?

It would be nice to have a direct replacement for the high pressure pump but I cant seem to find anything with the same diameter. I am thinking of using an external pump, with the in-tank pump left in place - I am hoping the new pump could draw through the old pump?

Thanks

I use a mechanical fuel pump mounted to the block on the passenger side. I use the old K-JET return line as my low-pressure inlet and then push the fuel over to a small filter mounted to the carb bowl.

I have heard about others running electric pumps with different variations of success or failure.

I don't have the make/model info of my pump off-hand. I seem to recall they're a bit difficult to track down.

dmc4087
05-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Hmm might be able to get one. My only concern with a mechanical pump was the need to crank and crank from first start. Perhaps that isn't the case?

Did you leave the k-jet pump in place with the mechanical pump just drawing fuel through it?

Ron
05-07-2019, 05:38 PM
We did a combination of the above:
Sock type strainer/filter in the tank >> original return line >> electric pump ( Summit Racing, requires no regulator) >>> carb (has own final filter).

dmc4087
05-08-2019, 08:41 AM
We did a combination of the above:
Sock type strainer/filter in the tank >> original return line >> electric pump ( Summit Racing, requires no regulator) >>> carb (has own final filter).

Sounds good - electric low pressure pump on the way.

Farrar
05-08-2019, 06:59 PM
I'm using a mechanical pump only. Draws fuel through a pickup filter in the tank & the old K-Jet return line. Only time I need extended cranking is when the bowl is empty.

Search eBay for a pump from an Alpine A310 or some other PRV V6 car from before fuel injection days. Should run you between $60 and $80 brand new. If needed, swap out the barbs for other connections. Enjoy!

Farrar
05-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Oh, and when you mount your mechanical fuel pump, use studs instead of bolts. When the time comes to replace the pump, removal/replacement will be a snap.

dmc4087
05-09-2019, 02:49 PM
I'm using a mechanical pump only. Draws fuel through a pickup filter in the tank & the old K-Jet return line. Only time I need extended cranking is when the bowl is empty.

Search eBay for a pump from an Alpine A310 or some other PRV V6 car from before fuel injection days. Should run you between $60 and $80 brand new. If needed, swap out the barbs for other connections. Enjoy!

I didn't even consider ebay! Found a few new ones on there, thanks!