PDA

View Full Version : Curious about future of DMCTalk.org

Redsquall
05-21-2019, 10:29 PM
Hi,
Are their plans to upgrade the forums version, use HTTPS or other things like that?
Is there an extension or update for vB that makes the search work better?
Thanks

BladeBronson
05-22-2019, 02:18 PM
The best search IMO is Google, especially since the vBulletin search excludes 3 letter words. You can search Google for things like "VOD site:dmctalk.org".

Mark D
05-22-2019, 03:13 PM
Hopefully the odd looking DeLorean banner at the top will also get some much needed attention...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=60174&d=1558552414

FABombjoy
05-22-2019, 03:36 PM
Could also use an update the ancient server versions of gd or imagemagick that can't handle EXIF data and totally ruins PNG files

Timeless
05-22-2019, 05:20 PM
Banner car is not bad but certainly would look cool with a real car embedded. (grooved no flap please :thumbup:)

Josh
05-23-2019, 01:27 PM
Could also use an update the ancient server versions of gd or imagemagick that can't handle EXIF data and totally ruins PNG files

me attaching images to posts:

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/59/59bc08ab29666df4a4692a9789afbcb712c6425ea1e8cdcfe7 1e1fd8e8f90e30.jpg

opethmike
05-23-2019, 05:05 PM
When the hell is Ron finally going to give me a damned hug?????

Michael
05-23-2019, 09:36 PM
The future od DMCtalk is so bright, it's gotta wear readers

Ron
05-23-2019, 09:36 PM
Google Advanced Search DMCTalk.org (https://www.google.com/advanced_search?as_sitesearch=dmctalk.org)

What problems are there with .png files other than with orientation?

When the hell is Ron finally going to give me a damned hug?????How easily you forget... (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14051-3-0L-engine-swap&p=240166&viewfull=1#post240166)

FABombjoy
05-23-2019, 09:55 PM
What problems are there with .png files other than with orientation?
They are size reduced to the point of becoming illegible.

Or people post images and the orientation is wrong. The standard response is to make fun of their device rather than fix a software problem.

Other free opinions :)
-Image galleries should be navigable by left / right arrow, or have navigation elements independent of the image size so you aren't playing whack-a-mole with the "prev / next" buttons while browsing a gallery

-Site design should be responsive

-Using Google to search the site can be more frustrating than the site search. Google links bring you in to the /archive/* tree which doesn't display images. If it's a thread with 100+ posts and you want to view images, there isn't a direct link to posts in the standard view. That means you have to click on the full version and guess the approximate page number, then start looking around to find the post.

-The domain has an SSL cert but vBulletin / Apache aren't set up to use it properly which essentially renders it useless.

Yes, I am volunteering to help fix these problems.

Josh
05-24-2019, 02:39 AM

Or people post images and the orientation is wrong. The standard response is to make fun of their device rather than fix a software problem.

-Image galleries should be navigable by left / right arrow, or have navigation elements independent of the image size so you aren't playing whack-a-mole with the "prev / next" buttons while browsing a gallery

-Using Google to search the site can be more frustrating than the site search. Google links bring you in to the /archive/* tree which doesn't display images. If it's a thread with 100+ posts and you want to view images, there isn't a direct link to posts in the standard view. That means you have to click on the full version and guess the approximate page number, then start looking around to find the post.

-The domain has an SSL cert but vBulletin / Apache aren't set up to use it properly which essentially renders it useless.

Luke 4 admin.

Ron
05-24-2019, 06:04 AM

THANKS for the input!

Most of those can be resolved by sizing and orienting the file before uploading.
Why the BS:
All EXIF data is stripped, even on images that are not resized. EXIF data is not secure and can be used to compromise a web server.
Because there is no control over what is in the EXIF data. Every camera and graphics application does it own thing with this data. Users can include Javascript in these fields and exploit your site because some browsers (cough cough, IE and Edge) will execute it. Worse on an improperly configured server, you can include PHP in the EXIF data and have it processed by the server. Since we have no control over the server and have a duty to make the software as secure as possible, we remove the EXIF data.
Resized images are always stored as JPEG image....
If you're willing to store full size images (up to 4608 X 4608 and not have them resized by vBulletin then the EXIF data would most likely be retained. You would have to adjust the sizes under Attachment -> Attachment Storage Type. Both dimensions and file size have to be adjusted. If any of the three (height, width, size) go over the maximum specified, then the image will be resized, converted to a JPEG and have its EXIF stripped.
FWIW:
I could see the latter on a photography forum...

I don't remember people making fun of another's device. (The "standard" ??)

LOL- I hate the "prev / next" buttons moving when pic sizes are mismatched too, but you don't have to be quick on the draw as with whack-a-moles...

IIRC, this happened during the last move and was slated to be fixed. I'll see what's up...

Shoot Tamir a PM...

FABombjoy
05-24-2019, 09:55 AM
THANKS for the input!
Like everyone on the internet I'm just full of opinions. But I'm glad someone is interested ;)

Why the BS:
That would apply to the published image. I agree that EXIF should be stripped from the final image to remove potential security issues, location data, etc. BUT stripping EXIF is the final step before publishing.

What seems broken is the pre-processing of images using EXIF orientation data. When vBulletin processes an uploaded something ignores or discards the orientation data, which would correct an upside-down image or a left/right rotated image during reprocessing. I've not worked directly with vBulletin, but I've set up phpBB, Mediawiki, and lots of other web software that work with images, and most of the time they farm those tasks out to either gd or imagemagick. I suspect that either these are out of date or vBulletin is set up to be too aggressive about stripping EXIF data early in the chain.

That same processor seems to regard PNG files as something needing to be converted to jpg and size reduced. Trying to post data log screenshots in the EFI section, for example, is pointless since they become too small to be useful. Generally speaking a screenshot PNG will be both smaller than a jpeg and much sharper. The software should keep PNG as-is unless it exceeds some a size threshold.

Most of those can be resolved by sizing and orienting the file before uploading.
This falls under the purview of "humans performing tasks on behalf of computers" and in my department I consider this a cardinal sin, to be eradicated at all costs :D

I don't remember people making fun of another's device. (The "standard" ??)
Maybe not making fun :D But a lot of cursing out iPhones for being the problem when it's actually out of date forum software

LOL- I hate the [/FONT][/COLOR]"prev / next" buttons moving when pic sizes are mismatched too, but you don't have to be quick on the draw as with whack-a-moles...
Haha, but I'm a spaz and world champion mouse clicker. Actually dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome I grew accustomed to keyboard shortcuts. Post-op most of the nerve issues are gone but I still love to push keyboard buttons.

Shoot Tamir a PM...
He's probably a little distracted these days LOL

Ron
05-24-2019, 01:47 PM
That would apply to the published image. I agree that EXIF should be stripped from the final image to remove potential security issues, location data, etc. BUT stripping EXIF is the final step before publishing
I suspect that either these are out of date or vBulletin is set up to be too aggressive about stripping EXIF data early in the chain.It's stripped "immediately upon download".

That same processor seems to regard PNG files as something needing to be converted to jpg and size reduced. Trying to post data log screenshots in the EFI section, for example, is pointless since they become too small to be useful. Generally speaking a screenshot PNG will be both smaller than a jpeg and much sharper. The software should keep PNG as-is unless it exceeds some a size threshold.iirc, ALL pics are converted to JPG.

This falls under the purview of "humans performing tasks on behalf of computers" and in my department I consider this a cardinal sin, to be eradicated at all costs :D
+
Maybe not making fun :D But a lot of cursing out iPhones for being the problem when it's actually out of date forum software
But, but...but the POS iPhones put the data there, creating tasks for others to contend with.
...Apple has never worried much about compatibility, backwards or otherwise.

I don't remember anyone "cursing out" another's device either. :deviltail:

FABombjoy
05-24-2019, 02:06 PM
But, but...but the POS iPhones put the data there, creating tasks for others to contend with.
...Apple has never worried much about compatibility, backwards or otherwise.

I don't remember anyone "cursing out" another's device either. :deviltail:
Other than you, two sentences previously :D

It's not really an Apple thing as EXIF is a standard. It's the ancient software here that doesn't understand the orientation metadata or prematurely obliterates it. I've pretty much switched to imgur which gets it right without the hassle and has an easy to use drag & drop upload interface.

Much nicer than "manage attachments" -> "add files" -> browse -> find one single file -> click upload -> click + -> find the next file -> click "insert inline" or maybe just "done". This is humans performing repetitive tasks - getting away from this is why we keep building more computers :D

Ron
05-24-2019, 04:04 PM
Other than you, two sentences previously :D
:deviltail:

It's not really an Apple thing as EXIF is a standard. It's the ancient software here that doesn't understand the orientation metadata or prematurely obliterates it. I've pretty much switched to imgur which gets it right without the hassle and has an easy to use drag & drop upload interface.vBulletin says they "have the problem slated to be fixed, but it is not high on the list." There were similar complaints on Twitter, eBay, etc. when I looked at it back when. (Note, I'm not the vB guy here...) A new standard/software that allows users to insert Javascript capable of exploiting a site sounds like a good idea gone wrong to me (ntm PHP/server). EXIF is obviously here to stay for a while, so I guess it boils down to vB's future (If patients wear out, I like WordPress, but not going to go there ;-)

Much nicer than "manage attachments" -> "add files" -> browse -> find one single file -> click upload -> click + -> find the next file -> click "insert inline" or maybe just "done".
This is humans performing repetitive tasks - getting away from this is why we keep building more computers :D
Agreed. But there are dangers involved (Watch Idiocracy (http://Idiocracy) ;-).

Options:
Click: "Insert Image" icon -> From Computer -> File(s) -> Upload

OR

... -> From URL-> Enter URL

81dmc
05-31-2019, 04:32 PM
Hopefully the odd looking DeLorean banner at the top will also get some much needed attention...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=60174&d=1558552414

Solution:
https://i.imgur.com/34bJ7B7.jpg

;)

Ron
06-01-2019, 12:26 AM
:biggrin:

Mark D
06-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Solution:
https://i.imgur.com/34bJ7B7.jpg

;)