PDA

View Full Version : Where do I buy a Delorean?

loyalty4life
06-03-2019, 01:25 AM
Hello,

As you may notice, I am very new to the Delorean community. I have a large interest in doing research and buying one. I have no idea where to look. Major car websites and apps don't have Deloreans listed, neither does craigslist. Where does one look? Is this the best place ultimately? Where do you look? I noticed DMC's website has used cars for sale on semi-rare occasion.

Any helpful ideas would be very appreciated! Thanks so much.

BladeBronson
06-03-2019, 01:56 AM
There are 10 on eBay now. There are often some on Craigslist and cars posted here by members of the community. Try to find a local club. They’ll help you.

loyalty4life
06-03-2019, 01:57 AM
Thank you for the feedback so far. Where would I find a local club in the Pacific Northwest? Oregon/Washington?

DMC-81
06-03-2019, 02:28 AM
Thank you for the feedback so far. Where would I find a local club in the Pacific Northwest? Oregon/Washington?

Hi Justin, and welcome.

DMC has franchise locations around the country, including California. You could give them a call. Great cars sell within hours of availability as there are people just like you that are already actively searching.

You may want to check out Toby's DeLorean Parts Northwest shop:
http://delorean-parts.com/
(I believe they have a new website/location.)

Getting James Espy's buying guide is always a good idea:
http://store.delorean.com/p-10550-the-illustrated-buyers-guide-to-delorean-automobiles.aspx

Also, you can check out the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club thread to connect with local owners:
http://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php?47-The-Pacific-Northwest-DeLorean-Club-(PNDC)

Good luck!

DMC-81
06-03-2019, 08:02 AM
Hi Justin, and welcome.

DMC has franchise locations around the country, including California. You could give them a call. Great cars sell within hours of availability as there are people just like you that are already actively searching.

You may want to check out Toby's DeLorean Parts Northwest shop:
http://delorean-parts.com/
(I believe they have a new website/location.)

Getting James Espy's buying guide is always a good idea:
http://store.delorean.com/p-10550-the-illustrated-buyers-guide-to-delorean-automobiles.aspx

Also, you can check out the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club thread to connect with local owners:
http://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php?47-The-Pacific-Northwest-DeLorean-Club-(PNDC)

Good luck!

EDIT: If you want to spend the $50-$60k converting the car to a time machine, you may not want to spend $35-50k for a pristine car and hack it up, or maybe you would.

Rich
06-03-2019, 04:23 PM
Happy hunting for your dream DeLorean.

Before mentioning a correction to your post I'll say craigslist isn't the first tool I'd use in a collector car search - just the same it could lead to something for you.

Correction: DeLoreans are listed on craigslist. Pick an area and type in "DeLorean" under Cars & Trucks to see what comes up. One is currently listed on CL in the SF Bay Area and another shows up in the Los Angeles area. At various times I've seen as many as 3 of them up on the Bay Area board. I didn't search any wider than those areas.

One reason not to search for a D or other collector cars on craigslist is that it's hard (impossible?) search for a one beyond a given metro area in one go. While shopping only for a nearby car makes it easier to inspect one and saves money on shipping it seriously reduces your choices.

Finding a local club is mentioned. Between that and perhaps looking at anything listed locally on craigslist you can start to get a feel for what's out there. James Espey's buyer guidebook is also mentioned. It's very, very useful to new buyers as well as to new owners.

Hello,

As you may notice, I am very new to the Delorean community. I have a large interest in doing research and buying one. I have no idea where to look. Major car websites and apps don't have Deloreans listed, neither does craigslist. Where does one look? Is this the best place ultimately? Where do you look? I noticed DMC's website has used cars for sale on semi-rare occasion.

Any helpful ideas would be very appreciated! Thanks so much.

loyalty4life
06-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Happy hunting for your dream DeLorean.

Before mentioning a correction to your post I'll say craigslist isn't the first tool I'd use in a collector car search - just the same it could lead to something for you.

Correction: DeLoreans are listed on craigslist. Pick an area and type in "DeLorean" under Cars & Trucks to see what comes up. One is currently listed on CL in the SF Bay Area and another shows up in the Los Angeles area. At various times I've seen as many as 3 of them up on the Bay Area board. I didn't search any wider than those areas.

One reason not to search for a D or other collector cars on craigslist is that it's hard (impossible?) search for a one beyond a given metro area in one go. While shopping only for a nearby car makes it easier to inspect one and saves money on shipping it seriously reduces your choices.

Finding a local club is mentioned. Between that and perhaps looking at anything listed locally on craigslist you can start to get a feel for what's out there. James Espey's buyer guidebook is also mentioned. It's very, very useful to new buyers as well as to new owners.

These are very good reminders. I do appreciate that.

eight8toy
06-03-2019, 08:14 PM

You can use a search engine for craigslist that searches all areas across the country. Autotempest comes to mind for that. It's sort of a pain but will easily do the massive search for a Delorean

Timeless
06-03-2019, 08:36 PM
You can use a search engine for craigslist that searches all areas across the country. Autotempest comes to mind for that. It's sort of a pain but will easily do the massive search for a Delorean
x2/ Autotempest is good.

JAZ_DMC
06-04-2019, 11:12 AM
The classifieds on Hemmings (hemmings.com) is a good resource.

tommyrich
06-04-2019, 12:21 PM
The For Sale section of DMCTALK has some for sale (including one of mine) :wave2:

Chris 16409
06-04-2019, 06:59 PM
If you're in the Washington Oregon area the Pacific Northwest DeLorean club is one of the most active clubs on the west coats. You will want to check them out. Also contact Toby Peterson and DeLorean Service Northwest (www.delorean-service.com).

Hill Valley PD
06-05-2019, 09:07 AM
If you're in the Washington Oregon area the Pacific Northwest DeLorean club is one of the most active clubs on the west coats. You will want to check them out. Also contact Toby Peterson and DeLorean Service Northwest (www.delorean-service.com).

What others have said. I am in the Midwest and contacted Mike at DMC Midwest about cars. I ended up buying one through him. Bear in mind, some of the cars available are not always listed on DMC's website all the time. If you decide to go through DMC or in your case Toby (used to be DMC Northwest), you are better off just calling to see what they have or might be getting. Also, I would do as much research as possible to see what type of car you want driver or show car, early vs late car etc. Go to one of the affiliates if you can and look at different cars closely to evaluate condition. Though the overall car did not change much, small details did throughout production like interior colors (black, grey, or two tone), hood styles (gas flap, grooved, or flat), wheel styles (dark grey or light grey), radio antenna placement (windshield integrated or front passenger fender or power hidden in vent in rear driver quarter) pull strap location (removable at handle or integrated into door panel), side bolster design (separate or stronger one piece design) ETC. Get the DeLorean Buyers Guide as it is a wonderful resource and will help you with the above. Figure out what you want, go looking, and ask for help from the members here or one of the aforementioned affiliates. I came up with a list of parameters and gave it to Mike at MW, and he happened to have the exact car I was looking for at the time NOT yet listed online. Good Luck! The hunt is half the fun!

mluder
06-05-2019, 08:10 PM

Hi...
Where in the PNW are you located?
I'm in Portland and a member of the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club.
There are lots of members in the Seattle area and a few of us down here.

Be happy to help if you have any questions.

Cheers
Steve

Michael
06-05-2019, 09:44 PM
All you have to do is wave 30k in the air and say "I got cash for a DeLorean" and owners that are selling will come and bow to your every desire.

Spittybug
06-05-2019, 09:51 PM
Your hugging privilege is hereby revoked.

All you have to do is wave 30k in the air and say "I got cash for a DeLorean" and owners that are selling will come and bow to your every desire.

Ron
06-06-2019, 01:13 AM
Your hugging privilege is hereby revoked.Wrong Mike.

mluder
06-06-2019, 06:05 PM

No, no, no, no...

You find someone who has one and then walk up to them in a grocery store parking lot or car show and offer to buy the car. When they decline your generous offer of $6,000 get angry and/or offended and say, "What?!?! It's a 30 year old car! How much then?' When they respond, "It's not for sale," get smug and say, "Everything is for sale." If they continue to be stubborn scoff at them and say, "Meh... never mind, I'll just buy one of the new ones their building in Houston... They'll be way better anyway."

Cheers
Steve

loyalty4life
06-07-2019, 01:47 PM

That’s great information. Thank you!

loyalty4life
06-07-2019, 01:48 PM
What others have said. I am in the Midwest and contacted Mike at DMC Midwest about cars. I ended up buying one through him. Bear in mind, some of the cars available are not always listed on DMC's website all the time. If you decide to go through DMC or in your case Toby (used to be DMC Northwest), you are better off just calling to see what they have or might be getting. Also, I would do as much research as possible to see what type of car you want driver or show car, early vs late car etc. Go to one of the affiliates if you can and look at different cars closely to evaluate condition. Though the overall car did not change much, small details did throughout production like interior colors (black, grey, or two tone), hood styles (gas flap, grooved, or flat), wheel styles (dark grey or light grey), radio antenna placement (windshield integrated or front passenger fender or power hidden in vent in rear driver quarter) pull strap location (removable at handle or integrated into door panel), side bolster design (separate or stronger one piece design) ETC. Get the DeLorean Buyers Guide as it is a wonderful resource and will help you with the above. Figure out what you want, go looking, and ask for help from the members here or one of the aforementioned affiliates. I came up with a list of parameters and gave it to Mike at MW, and he happened to have the exact car I was looking for at the time NOT yet listed online. Good Luck! The hunt is half the fun!

Thank you so much. I did end up buying the buyers guide. Looking forward to reading that thoroughly.

loyalty4life
06-07-2019, 01:49 PM
Hi...
Where in the PNW are you located?
I'm in Portland and a member of the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club.
There are lots of members in the Seattle area and a few of us down here.

Be happy to help if you have any questions.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve. I sent you a private message. Thank you! :-)