PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to help them or slap them? Or both?

Spittybug
06-18-2019, 10:14 AM
I just recently put my car up for sale. I've got it listed in a few places and am getting the usual "what's the lowest you'll take for it" and "does it come with the flux capacitor" stupidity......Every now and then I get a sincere inquiry.

Yesterday I got an interested party that messaged me. He was asking questions about a $40K car versus a $25K fixer upper he had his eye on.... so I offered to educate him on the phone.

My first clue should have been when he typed, "yeah, hold on, let me get out of bed" at 1 in the afternoon......after a 10 minute oration about how he's wanted one of these forever and has sacrificed so much and it was 'time', I find out he's 21, no job, 2 kids, girlfriend is the only income and he's still paying off his Corolla. No problem though, he'll get a loan. Has owned 21 cars he says. Such a good mechanic that Firestone offered him a job on the spot when he took his car there for an alignment... this drivel continued for 20 minutes....... I felt like I was talking to Jeff Spicoli meets Bart Simpson meets Forrest Gump.

:mallet:

I wouldn't sell my car to this guy if he showed up with $40,000 cash in hand. I want it to survive another 40 years. Pride in my work, pride in the car JZD produced.
He lives in Austin, TX. Go figure. I'm betting it was mommy's basement too.
While I was polite and even helped to educate him on what to look for when shopping for a Delorean, I couldn't resist being a responsible adult and father and advised him to NOT borrow money for a Delorean that he has no apparent chance of maintaining! Grow the hell up buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I fear for my old age if THIS is the generation that we are leaving the planet to............

Oi Vay.

Timeless
06-18-2019, 02:29 PM
This new generation is beyond scary and I feel sorry for what is to come after my lifetime. :8ball:
That guy deserves the SLAP big time. The right person will come forward that will give it the respect and admiration. I wish that was me currently.....

Dangermouse
06-18-2019, 03:23 PM
You should recommend that he starts a gofundme page..................................

lazabby
06-18-2019, 04:41 PM
You should recommend that he starts a gofundme page..................................

:hysterical:

mr_maxime
06-18-2019, 07:54 PM
Get out of here with "this generation" garbage. Just cause there's some idiots here and there doesnt mean we all are.

Spittybug
06-18-2019, 08:20 PM
Get out of here with "this generation" garbage. Just cause there's some idiots here and there doesnt mean we all are.

Fair enough. I believe I have raised my kids to be exceptions as well. It's a percentage thing though isn't it? I don't find it too hard of a stretch to say that our educational system has failed and our at-large parenting has failed so that we have a higher percentage than ever of dipshits out there.

There are, thankfully, exceptions to every trend. Hopefully they will join the ranks that will need to corral these dipshits.

opethmike
06-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Get out of here with this "get off my lawn" garbage, Owen. Where are you getting these statistics about parenting? You're smarter and better than this. Sounds like you're experiencing a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Spittybug
06-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Get out of here with this "get off my lawn" garbage, Owen. Where are you getting these statistics about parenting? You're smarter and better than this. Sounds like you're experiencing a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You lost me..... are you putting full faith in today's kids?
Does this mean you no longer want a hug?
I'm so confused :umm:

opethmike
06-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Holy crap, where did I say or imply that I am "putting full faith into today's kids?" Nowhere. You read into it what you wanted to read into it. Further proof of your self-fulfilling prophecy. You also didn't answer any of the questions I asked you.

And no, I don't want to hug someone that thinks the way you seem to right now.

Spittybug
06-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Holy crap, where did I say or imply that I am "putting full faith into today's kids?" Nowhere. You read into it what you wanted to read into it. Further proof of your self-fulfilling prophecy. You also didn't answer any of the questions I asked you.

And no, I don't want to hug someone that thinks the way you seem to right now.

Whoa big fella! What questions did you ask? Where I'm getting statistics on the opinion of parenting??????? Observation?

I'm truly disappointed in the folks out there that want someone else to provide for them. To pay for this for them. To forgive the debt or the choices they made. To 'redo' things they don't like. I may be funneling that disappointment onto a single generation when it more properly should be allocated to a larger group of individuals, but it is my observation that unless there is "an app for that", much of this generation can't do it, whatever "it" is. I blame the parents and the educational system. Or should I blame the 'victim'? The individual in question in this thread is not at all dissimilar to many that we've been exposed to on TV, in our neighborhoods, in the news, maybe even in one's own family? It is NOT healthy.

The intent here is not to enter into politics or ideology. I'm sorry my 'thoughts' bother you.

Ron
06-18-2019, 09:43 PM
Proverbial straw in 3, 2,...

SamHill
06-19-2019, 07:15 AM
Well! That's the last time I call you about being interested in your car! And FYI I do not live in my mother's basement full time maaaaaan

Michael
06-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Millennials should not own a DeLorean. Millennials have allergies to things like gluten, soy and and capitalism. The materials used to create a DeLorean could be deadly to people born after 1990. They need to drive cars like the Prius, leaf, and Chevy Volt and leave the men's cars alone.

Most DeLoreans are stick shifts...Millenials can't drive stick shifts

Mark D
06-19-2019, 01:02 PM
Yeah I used to rip on millennials all the time too, until I figured out that I am one.

Born between 1981 and 1996 apparently.

So the 21 year old douchey guy that OP was talking about isn't even a millennial, he's generation Z or whatever. The youngest milennials are now 23 and the oldest are 38.

Michael
06-19-2019, 01:12 PM
When I got my DeLorean I sold my Z. The guy who bought it send his girlfriend so he could stay home and I am not lying...they lived in their father's basement. They brought tax refund cash and it was a trouble free sale. Millennials may be douches but their money (in the short time it's in their keep), is as green as everyone else's.

This post was made on a gluten free computer.

Timeless
06-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Millennials have allergies to things like gluten, soy and and capitalism.
:deedledee::sissy::elmo2::rofl:

mluder
06-19-2019, 05:07 PM
When I got my DeLorean I sold my Z. The guy who bought it send his girlfriend so he could stay home and I am not lying...they lived in their father's basement. They brought tax refund cash and it was a trouble free sale. Millennials may be douches but their money (in the short time it's in their keep), is as green as everyone else's.

This post was made on a gluten free computer.

When I was in college (about 15 years ago) I worked at Best Buy. I can't tell you home many 40/50 somethings came in with their tax refund or settlement check to buy a big screen TV... Point is, stupid knows no age restrictions...

Cheers
Steve

mr_maxime
06-19-2019, 07:20 PM
I mean we can sling mud all day, but I dont remember millenials buying houses they couldnt afford leading to the 2007 financial collapse.

Michael
06-19-2019, 07:31 PM
I mean we can sling mud all day, but I dont remember millenials buying houses they couldnt afford leading to the 2007 financial collapse.

Stupid Gen X'rs

I bought my home in 2004 on a 30yr fixed. I paid extra every month. This October, I will be 100% debt free.

mr_maxime
06-19-2019, 07:38 PM
Stupid Gen X'rs

I bought my home in 2004 on a 30yr fixed. I paid extra every month. This October, I will be 100% debt free.

Why not do a 15 year fixed at that point?

Michael
06-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Why not do a 15 year fixed at that point?

Because at the time I was just starting my business. Even though we put 20% down I was not sure about making a 1300.00 a month payment if the biz went south. I could however swing 750 a month no matter if I failed or not. I could still go to sleep at night knowing I could make the mortgage. Thankfully my business thrived, I bought a DeLorean after all.

In other words a peaceful night's sleep over the last 15 years is worth a few grand in extra interest. Unlike most of America, I live within my means and my ducks are all in a nice row.

jackb
06-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Millennials should not own a DeLorean. Millennials have allergies to things like gluten, soy and and capitalism. The materials used to create a DeLorean could be deadly to people born after 1990. They need to drive cars like the Prius, leaf, and Chevy Volt and leave the men's cars alone.

Most DeLoreans are stick shifts...Millenials can't drive stick shifts

Like Mark D said, your’e thinking of Gen Z.
I’ve owned my Delorean for a hair under 10 years, I own a two houses, have a wife and two kids, and I’m eligible to retire from my career in the AF.
I’m also a millennial.

Too often the term millenial is used lazily in place of the word young adults, or the appropriate generation.
I don’t call my grandmother a boomer, or my Dad a Gen X-er.

DMC-81
06-21-2019, 09:11 PM
Like Mark D said, your’e thinking of Gen Z.
I’ve owned my Delorean for a hair under 10 years, I own a two houses, have a wife and two kids, and I’m eligible to retire from my career in the AF.
I’m also a millennial.

Too often the term millenial is used lazily in place of the word young adults, or the appropriate generation.
I don’t call my grandmother a boomer, or my Dad a Gen X-er.

Yeah, I think it happens every time the younger generation reaches adulthood. I'm a Gen-X'er. Does anyone remember that we were called the "Slacker" generation. As a bonafide go-getter, I was insulted. As this video suggests, it was probably due in part to a lot of my cohorts entering the workforce during the early 90's recession. Great timing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYaqh--Uhx0

Perhaps Principal Strickland coined the phrase to describe our generation.

mr_maxime
06-22-2019, 09:11 AM
One of my favorites is "millenials are killing (X) " when 99% of the time it should be "(X) struggling as it fails to adapt to shifting market trends". Or there's always the "millenials don't have (x basic skill)" but previous generations killed that off in favor of standardized testing.

Also participation trophies were never for the kids, its always been for the parents who couldn't cope with having mediocre kids.

Citizen
06-22-2019, 09:57 AM
[snip]

"Participation trophies were never for the kids, its always been for the parents who couldn't cope with having mediocre kids."

I'd like to quote that (with full credit, of course), do I have your permission?
: )

Michael
06-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Also participation trophies were never for the kids, its always been for the parents who couldn't cope with having mediocre kids.

:rofl:

mr_maxime
06-22-2019, 02:54 PM
I'd like to quote that (with full credit, of course), do I have your permission?
: )

Go ahead. It's not really completely original lol. Other people have echoed the same sentiment. Can't remember, but I think Bill Burr said something similar.

Ryan King
06-23-2019, 08:30 PM

Here Here!

I am 28, going on 29. Born in 1990. I worked hard, saving money, hopefully buying a house and can maintain my DeLorean just fine. You have to work hard to make it. Things aren't just handed to you. So we aren't ALL that way. But you just happened to get a real special one on the phone.