PDA

View Full Version : General 3d PRINT TO FABRICATION: Modular Cupholder/ Swiss Army Center Console Design

megamanex
06-27-2019, 12:15 AM
Hey all. Started sketching my idea for a 3d Printed modular cup holder / second glovebox / phone storage / whatever you want console insert that would use the same fitment screws as the original and snap into place moving at an upwards slope to become flush with the rear deck by the netting. These renders aren't quite to scale so pardon the roughness. I'll be 3d scanning the interior of the car and getting a bit more accurate results in coming weeks when I've the time and will start work on adjusting scale and design before I start test prints on the form3. I'll also be creating a pattern to replicate the vinyl and embed it into the 3d print for an alternate option where you wouldn't have to vinyl wrap the 3d print. The general conceit is to have a snap in and out modular system to be able to put whatever design you'd like into the space and allow it to be customized to whatever the user wanted or needed. You could also just use the open shelf area for a deeper storage space and forego the inserts entirely. I'll get my tolerances to about a half a millimeter once I've the proper dimensions scanned and fitted.

megamanex
06-27-2019, 03:27 PM
Updated and corrected the design a little more.

Maritime-elf
06-27-2019, 04:13 PM
WOW, Great Idea!!!!!!!

megamanex
06-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Updated with dimensions based on 3d scan of the interior.

I'll be fine tuning as I go but getting closer!

gongloo
06-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Might pair well with the phone dock, specifically sized for iPhone X, I made to replace the ash tray I never used. Very rough prototype, but I've been running it for a year and kind-of love the finish, so I never got around to printing it in higher resolution/quality, or otherwise post-processing.

jamesrguk
07-03-2019, 07:21 AM
Might pair well with the phone dock, specifically sized for iPhone X, I made to replace the ash tray I never used. Very rough prototype, but I've been running it for a year and kind-of love the finish, so I never got around to printing it in higher resolution/quality, or otherwise post-processing.

Good effort, I CAD/3D print quite a few parts for my car, that looks like a very elegant solution.

J