PDA

View Full Version : General Local Newspaper Front Page Story on Deloreans

Lenny
09-28-2011, 05:46 PM
I've been working in the Boston area for the last couple of weeks. Today one of my students brought in a copy of his local paper "The Daily News" Newburyport, MA. On the front page is a color photo of two local mechanics and two deloreans. The article talks about how they are "certified" Delorean Mechanics.

According to the article one of the cars is one of 3 "Original" Twin Turbos produced.

Are these anyone on the forum's? I have a copy of the paper and will be glad to send it to you.

http://newburyportnews.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/showlink.aspx?bookmarkid=LMJ5VFS4ZAK&preview=article&linkid=905cae8b-e602-4cb2-95ad-55798edcee1e&pdaffid=/BoG/ucJBpVC/5QWJ49AUw%3d%3d

Chris Burns
09-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Awesome find Lenny!:popcorn:

sean
09-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Very cool Lenny! Thanks for the share.

Delorean02378
09-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Nice find. Strange we're not familiar with this place. I purchased 15500 in Hadley, MA and all work done on the car was done at PJ Grady's. The previous owner never mentioned this place.

I use to work all over CT and went through MA on the way to Portland, ME at least once month but never heard a word about it.

This part of the article is very interesting because Ford doesn't use the 4.6L V8 engine anymore, it's now the 5.0L in the F150 and Mustang.

"According to published specs, the new DeLorean will sport a Ford V8, 4.6-liter engine that produces 400 horsepower. It will be capable of a maximum speed of 187 miles per hour, going from 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds. Not bad for a 30-year-old has-been."

Kirk

jmettee
09-28-2011, 09:42 PM
:thumbdown: The author of that article should have spend a bit more time researching. There are quite a few errors & the spelling, punctuation, & even capitalization errors are horrible.

Never heard of Merry Motors, are they really a certified DMC garage? We've all heard of Grady, who knows all about DMCs, but is not certified by DMC as an authorized service center of theirs.

Oh, and that zinger about using Ford V-8's in the "new" model is GREAT! I assume this "new" model is some warped information from the Pontiac Solstice concept from about 2 years ago?

Dracula
09-29-2011, 12:54 AM
We've all heard of Grady, who knows all about DMCs, but is not certified by DMC as an authorized service center of theirs.

If memory serves, wasn't Grady certified by the real DMC when they sold and serviced cars in 1981? To me, that trumps being certified by DMCH. For all we know, to give the article the benefit of the doubt, they could've been a factory-authorized service center back in 1981.

tjd
09-29-2011, 08:00 AM
If memory serves, wasn't Grady certified by the real DMC when they sold and serviced cars in 1981? To me, that trumps being certified by DMCH. For all we know, to give the article the benefit of the doubt, they could've been a factory-authorized service center back in 1981.

PJ Grady was DMC Dealer #32108, so they have/had factory certified techs from the real DMC not the faux DMC in Texas which in reality is a rebranded DeLorean One.

Michael
09-29-2011, 08:09 AM
156-horsepower engine and were capable of a maximum reported speed of 110 miles per hour

:rolleyes1:

Dangermouse
09-29-2011, 08:35 AM
"The cars, which had a fairly spartan interior"

I had a 1981 Renault, so I know what a real spartan interior was !!!!

thirdmanj
09-29-2011, 08:59 AM
... My ass, DeLoreans were fuckin loaded by early 80s standards.

*Power windows-STD
*Power Locks w/central locking system-STD (ok, I admit its unreliable and sucks)
*Leather Seats-STD
*A/C- STD
* AM/FM Radio cassette player- STD
* fully adjustable steering wheel-STD
* 4 wheel disc brakes- STD

For an early 80s car to boast those as standard features, thats pretty good, and most certainly not Spartan for 1981

Farrar
09-29-2011, 09:30 AM

Agreed. I once saw the interior of a Lotus from the same era and noticed a lot of similarities. Contemporary reviewers of the DMC-12 said the interior was luxury with a touch of sport. For 1981, it was damn nice.

Farrar

Dracula
09-29-2011, 09:32 AM

*Power windows-STD
*Power Locks w/central locking system-STD (ok, I admit its unreliable and sucks)
*Leather Seats-STD
*A/C- STD
* AM/FM Radio cassette player- STD
* fully adjustable steering wheel-STD
* 4 wheel disc brakes- STD

For an early 80s car to boast those as standard features, thats pretty good, and most certainly not Spartan for 1981

Well said. I had a Cadillac that was less optioned than the DeLorean. They're fairly plush by today's standards if compared to a Kia, Ford Focus, or Saturn in base trim.

opethmike
09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Well said. I had a Cadillac that was less optioned than the DeLorean. They're fairly plush by today's standards if compared to a Kia, Ford Focus, or Saturn in base trim.

Its funny that you say that because the first few years I had my DeLorean, my daily driver was a 1999 Saturn SL1. (Still have it, but it is winter only now.)

My Saturn has manual locks, manual windows, cloth seats, and at the time had a radio with no tape deck. So I used to joke with people that my thirty year old car was years ahead of my daily driver in terms of luxury.

David T
09-29-2011, 10:02 AM
I do not know of any agency or authority that "certifies" Delorean mechanics, at least not since DMC ceased to exist. They *could* be ASE certified and work on Deloreans but that's not what the article said. There were many points in the article that were either outright wrong or just inaccurate. Any independent shop can claim they are a "Delorean" shop and the "good working relationship" with DMCH can mean they pay their bills on time. When you know the facts you can get very disillusioned with news organizations and the way they check their facts and pass off their news as fact. It would not have taken very much effort to have gotten it right if they wanted to even try. Someone famous once said "I don't care what they say about me just as long as they spell my name right"! That person understood what happens at news outlets. The one thing that jumped out was the turbo car. Probably an Island car but who knows? Island Turbo moved up to New England (Eleanor) so it is most likely and Island turbo kit. Maybe a local club can do an event up that way and include the shop and learn more about it?
David Teitelbaum

Lenny
09-29-2011, 09:55 PM
I wonder if anyone on the forum owns one of those cars?

nick@nite
10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Wow, news spreads quickly. The Delorean they are talking about in that article is actually mine. :headbang:

It has the Island Twin Turbo. I am trying to find as much info on that system as I can, I found the manual for the island twin turbo on this site.

The newspaper definitely screwed up a few things, the girl doing the story was all excited. It's definitely not 1 of 3, I believe they think it's the legend twin turbo.

Do any of you have some pointers since I am fairly new to this?

Dangermouse
10-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Perhaps start a new thread with a few photos of your car and have "Island Twin Turbo" in the title and you will get a bunch of answers to your questions. You are sort of buried at the end of this thread :)

dvonk
10-04-2011, 12:16 AM
The Delorean they are talking about in that article is actually mine.

welcome to the forum! :wave:

glad you can help fill us in on the correct details that were lacking in the article.