PDA

View Full Version : Tesla cybertruck

mr_maxime
11-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Has anyone else seen the new Tesla cyber truck design? There's something to familiar to it

Delorean02378
11-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Has anyone else seen the new Tesla cyber truck design? There's something to familiar to it

Yes, I watched the launch of the vehicle this morning. I heard coworkers mention it looks similar to a Delorean. Let's hope the vehicle performs better than the shatterproof windows :-)

Rich
11-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Thanks for posting the topic. By asking about the design do we consider the use of a stainless steel body?

Their door-bashing demo results are different from what one would get with same sledgehammer test on a DeLorean. Elon claims some kind of extra-hard alloy is the key. No comment so far about whether they would paint such a thing.

As for the styling there will be mountains of posts on Tesla forums about its styling and size. I see more of a resemblance to a Stealth bomber than to a DeLorean aside from the stainless and the big, flat windshield.

Jason
11-22-2019, 11:21 AM
My 7 year old daughter happened to walk by while I was reading a new story about the truck, saw the picture on my computer screen and said "Hey, it's a DeLorean truck.".

JBaker4981
11-22-2019, 12:36 PM
It's more of a concept than anything but I do not seeing any vehicle that looks that ridiculous to be produced. The Pontiac Aztec looks better than that IMO

mr_maxime
11-22-2019, 01:22 PM
I didn't watch the demos. I saw the pictures with the shattered glass though. From what I read the stainless panels are 3mm thick and cold rolled. Don't know any other details. Also read that they won't paint it, but will offer vinyl wraps instead.

I wish the roof was flat instead of a peak but otherwise I like it. I can see how others wouldn't do. It looks straight out of an 80s scifi movie and I completely approve.

Chris4099
11-22-2019, 05:27 PM
During the launch, it flashed in the background real quick of the inspirations of the design. One of them was the James Bond Lotus. So between that and the stainless panels, I can see why it would be compared to the DeLorean. I just think it's pretty cool that we'll soon have another production vehicle that uses unpainted SS for the majority of the body panels.

If you can get past the looks, the specs are very impressive. Will be interesting to see what the final production version looks like as well.

Bitsyncmaster
11-22-2019, 06:27 PM
I see more of a resemblance to a Stealth bomber than to a DeLorean aside from the stainless and the big, flat windshield.

I wonder if radar will not work on this truck. That goes for cops checking speed and the new cars automatic braking.

Rich
11-22-2019, 06:49 PM
It's more of a concept than anything but I do not seeing any vehicle that looks that ridiculous to be produced. The Pontiac Aztec looks better than that IMO

+1

Michael
11-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Giamanut
11-22-2019, 11:19 PM

That right there is funny on soooo many levels!

Riley88
11-22-2019, 11:39 PM
I wonder if radar will not work on this truck. That goes for cops checking speed and the new cars automatic braking. Radar will definitely work on this truck. Unless you cover it in radar absorbing material which is very heavy and im not sure the civilian market has it.

DMC-81
11-23-2019, 10:12 AM
Like it or hate it, after the reveal, both Tesla and DeLorean are trending. Kudos to Musk for actually producing a sci fi concept. Although he dissed DeLorean in an interview a few years ago, he was clearly inspired by them, with his use of the falcon wing doors on the Model X and the angular design and use of Stainless Steel on the Cybertruck.

I bet that it will appeal to a similar demographic to the DeLorean, an individualist, and one that is ok with the attention that this thing will bring.

It would make an awesome tow vehicle for a trailer queen DeLorean. All you would need is a Stainless Steel trailer.

Hmmm....

WHO1DMC
11-23-2019, 10:31 AM
The fox news network was commenting on the unveiling blunder then someone said it resembles the Delorean. So this is definitely putting our cars in the spotlight again! Gotta love it!

Dave B.

mr_maxime
11-23-2019, 10:52 AM
I bet that it will appeal to a similar demographic to the DeLorean, an individualist, and one that is ok with the attention that this thing will bring.
trailer.

Exactly, why make a truck that looks exactly like every other truck already being built?

David T
11-23-2019, 04:01 PM
There have been more than a few comments about how it looks kind of like a Delorean on many media outlets. At least from the older commentators. IMHO it has lines from the F-117 stealth fighter.

Michael
11-23-2019, 05:37 PM
There have been more than a few comments about how it looks kind of like a Delorean on many media outlets. At least from the older commentators. IMHO it has lines from the F-117 stealth fighter.

The F-117 was what the DeLorean was fantasizing about when it was getting it from the Aztek.

Hill Valley PD
11-23-2019, 07:20 PM

The Cyber truck makes an Aztec look appealing. Once of the ugliest vehicle designs in recent memory.

DMC-81
11-23-2019, 08:39 PM
The Cyber truck makes an Aztec look appealing. Once of the ugliest vehicle designs in recent memory.

Lol. Apparently 146,000 people disagree as they already have that many pre-orders: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/23/cars/cybertruck-tesla-preorders/index.html

That's over 15 times the total production of our cars, in only 2 days. Just..wow.

Michael
11-23-2019, 10:50 PM
Lol. Apparently 146,000 people disagree as they already have that many pre-orders: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/23/cars/cybertruck-tesla-preorders/index.html

That's over 15 times the total production of our cars, in only 2 days. Just..wow.

All joking aside, I personally think it is pretty damn sweet. I just can't resist a good zinger but damn, I would rock that any day on looks alone not to mention I admire the hell out of bold outside the box car designs. A truck SHOULD look utilitarian, with function over form, and that my friends is a truck!!

Interior needs a little refinement but if it makes it to production, I'm sure it will be on point.

Jonathan
11-24-2019, 07:41 AM
During the launch, it flashed in the background real quick of the inspirations of the design. One of them was the James Bond Lotus. So between that and the stainless panels, I can see why it would be compared to the DeLorean. I just think it's pretty cool that we'll soon have another production vehicle that uses unpainted SS for the majority of the body panels.

If you can get past the looks, the specs are very impressive. Will be interesting to see what the final production version looks like as well.

He definitely liked that James Bond Lotus: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/18/tesla-elon-musk-james-bond-lotus-submarine-car

Hill Valley PD
11-24-2019, 08:40 AM
Even with the Cyber Truck's dent-resistant stainless steel skin... "You can't polish a turd."

Ron
11-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Radar will definitely work on this truck. Unless you cover it in radar absorbing material which is very heavy and im not sure the civilian market has it.Looks like some of the front panels are at the worst possible angle for that anyway...

Michael
11-24-2019, 12:56 PM
Looks like some of the front panels are at the worst possible angle for that anyway...

Yup, definitely not radar stealth material so no 4,000' altitude night raids over Iraq for that bad boy.

FAIL!

Nate88
11-25-2019, 10:13 AM
Interesting little article on Autoblog comparing the stainless panels of the new Cybertruck to the DeLorean and potential issues.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/22/tesla-cybertruck-stainless-steel-body/

mr_maxime
11-25-2019, 12:39 PM
Interesting little article on Autoblog comparing the stainless panels of the new Cybertruck to the DeLorean and potential issues.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/22/tesla-cybertruck-stainless-steel-body/

Whole lot of hypotheticals in that article that really just point out problems with the Delorean's stainless panels and misleading info about stainless being heavier

AugustneverEnds
11-25-2019, 12:48 PM
Whole lot of hypotheticals in that article that really just point out problems with the Delorean's stainless panels and misleading info about stainless being heavier

It's like a trick SAT question, 'What has the greater mass, 55lbs of mild steel or 55lbs of stainless steel?'

Bitsyncmaster
11-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
specific weight metal and alloy
metal or alloy weight (kg/dm3)
stainless steel 7.48 - 8
rolled steel 7.85

So stainless could be lighter than steel.

ssdelorean
11-26-2019, 01:20 PM
"You can't polish a turd."

Mythbusters did! :)

carbob81
11-26-2019, 10:01 PM
At least the DMC has some curves to it and the Lotus also as one of my long loved autos.
It will appeal to some just as full size Hummers do or did.
I think it design mistake that will go down in history of not using cross spectrum customer feedback groups.
I also it will sell a lot at first due to being a radical departure from the norm.
My wife would not like this truck and she gets a vote. She does like a bad ass Jeep even though she never goes off road and she does like the DMC but this just has no style.
It looks like a tank and will appeal to those who want to drive a tank.

As far as stealth radar speed detection cars those with fiberglass bodies sort or ruled this for a long time and gave you a lot more time/distance but now most enforcement officers do not use radar.
Yes, it is still used in small towns with smaller budgets. A corvette is as close to invisible as you can get in this world and the older ones where better.
Radar sees metal, in a vette the radiator, roof supports front plate and headlamps.
Lidar sees all.

A big part of stealth design is the front and this thing is going to come back very strong. Your DMC probably has a good 300 feet on it our more.
In that space you have to change speed fast enough that the radar unit thinks your car is a bird and will not lock. This very old trick does not work with newer one shot targeted units.

IMO sales will be crazy fast at first by those who want, followed by a big drop.
You live in this market by 10 years of sales and loyal customers, not the first 6-12 months.
Bob
(I'm sure others will disagree and I really do welcome such views as it expands my thinking)

CFI
11-27-2019, 07:44 AM
As far as stealth radar speed detection cars those with fiberglass bodies sort or ruled this for a long time and gave you a lot more time/distance but now most enforcement officers do not use radar.
Yes, it is still used in small towns with smaller budgets. A corvette is as close to invisible as you can get in this world and the older ones where better.
Radar sees metal, in a vette the radiator, roof supports front plate and headlamps.
Lidar sees all.

RADAR does not “see” metal. Many materials will reflect RADAR. If a fiberglass body car was not detected until it was close by it has more to do with the size and shape of the car than what material it is made of.

Michael
11-27-2019, 12:01 PM
Well I loved it so much I pre ordered one of the 2wd versions. I will most likely sell my DeLorean when the time comes because I don't have the garage space for both. It's going to be 2 years before it's ready and that translates to 2.5 years at least. I just paid off my home so as of last week I am 100% debt free. A lot can happen in 2 years so maybe I will not be on board by then but as of now at least I want the option.

DrJeff
11-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Well I loved it so much I pre ordered one of the 2wd versions. I will most likely sell my DeLorean when the time comes because I don't have the garage space for both. It's going to be 2 years before it's ready and that translates to 2.5 years at least. I just paid off my home so as of last week I am 100% debt free. A lot can happen in 2 years so maybe I will not be on board by then but as of now at least I want the option.

I also placed a pre-order for a 4WD version :) It'll make a fun complement to the TesLorean.

Michael
11-27-2019, 01:46 PM
I also placed a pre-order for a 4WD version :) It'll make a fun complement to the TesLorean.

I have been batting around the 4wd version but as I read the site, it's about 3 years away vs. 2 years for the 2wd. I may be changing my order but we will see how things pan out with them. The tri motor is not going to happen for me unless I get some windfall in the next 24 months. I just paid this morning so I have a lengthy contract to read tonight.

Citizen
11-28-2019, 12:21 PM
I fall on the side of liking the new Tesla Cyber truck. Same thing that attracted me to the DeLorean attracts me to the new truck. In about a year or two, I will be in the market for a new truck. But sorry, I just can't commit to electric (and probably won't until inevitably forced to by the government), because they just don't deliver the convenience, power, economy and endurance of an internal combustion engine.

Shame, because I would consider this new cyber truck as my truck solution if it had an IC engine.

Michael
11-28-2019, 03:24 PM
I fall on the side of liking the new Tesla Cyber truck. Same thing that attracted me to the DeLorean attracts me to the new truck. In about a year or two, I will be in the market for a new truck. But sorry, I just can't commit to electric (and probably won't until inevitably forced to by the government), because they just don't deliver the convenience, power, economy and endurance of an internal combustion engine.

Shame, because I would consider this new cyber truck as my truck solution if it had an IC engine.

The only weakness I see at this time in the electric car is range. It ticks ALL the boxes you outlined, especially power. I guess if I were into long range driving, I would not gravitate towards electric power but even that hurdle is shrinking by the month as technology improves. The version I ended up pre ordering (basically getting in line for) is the AWD mid range. 300 miles on a charge, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and the linear torque only an electric motor provides would pretty much out perform even the Raptor. In over 10 years of ownership, I can count on one hand how many 300+ mile days I have had in the DeLorean so the "limited" range is not that important to me and with the ever growing number of supercharger stations, even that is becoming a non issue.

I really wish I had pre ordered much sooner because even though I know many will just decide against buying in a few years, I know there are at least 200k people in front of me. Even with a drop out rate of 50 or even 70%, I don't see my turn coming in 2 years. I give myself about a 70% chance of pulling the trigger when my reservation number comes and I am basing that on timeframe alone, not getting cold feet. If it's going to be 2 or 3 years before I am behind the wheel, I just don't know how much the tech will have changed by then and 2+ years is a long way off to be buying based on today's tech. On the other hand, I am also one of those guys who often follows his gut. This is the FIRST vehicle since laying eyes on the DeLorean that really speaks to me and I want to be a part of it.

mr_maxime
11-28-2019, 08:49 PM
Range is really the only potential downside.

Coworker told me about a company using a fleet of teslas that went over 500k miles easy. Maintenance is way easier and I personally find that and charging at home to be way more convenient than having to stop at a gas station. I get it if you're constantly driving near the range limit or beyond it though.

There have been only 4 instances in my life where I've driven over 300 miles in a single trip so range in a Tesla never seemed like an issue to me. Even then a Tesla supercharging station takes about 30 mins, definitely longer than filling up, but I wouldnt mind that break after driving for 300 miles (or 80% of that).

I plan on using nissan leaf batteries in my delorean conversion, which will give me roughly 100 miles. Driving to work is 35 miles. At 70 miles a day minimum, I'll be pushing the limit since I'm limited to trickle charging at home ~5 miles of range/hr). It wont be my primary car, but there is a charger at work and a public charging station about 1 mile down the road at the grocery store. Once I get 240V at home, then it'll easily become practical for everyday use.

Basically at 300 miles, it really just means road trips take a bit more planning, but otherwise fine for 99% of my personal needs.

DrJeff
11-29-2019, 12:45 PM
...But sorry, I just can't commit to electric (and probably won't until inevitably forced to by the government), because they just don't deliver the convenience, power, economy and endurance of an internal combustion engine. …

I think you win on convenience but only partially - I'm my electric I never have to visit a gas station or for that matter ever really think about charge level. I plug it in when I get home and unplug it when I go to work. For how I uses it convenience is awesome, but YMMV. As regards power, the electric is a total blast to drive... immediate power even at 50-70mph. After driving electric, ICE cars feel like driving a sponge. I find that when driving in weave traffic I feel the need to manage the ICE cars power so that I can get into spots. When driving electric I never have to think about power, it is point and go. Electrics still have a premium price which balances out if not loses the economy benefits of electric cost vs gas, however the long-term maintenance is practically zero. After 50,000 miles on my electric it still has the original pads and they look new - the car doesn't actually use the brakes until the speed is under 9mph (it uses regeneration otherwise to slow down). On endurance I think electric wins. An electric drive train is almost entirely solid state electronics and it cycles through a much lower temperature range. The engine has fewer total parts, fewer moving parts, and significantly less 'management' systems. One of the learnings from the last 10+ years of electric cars is that the batteries and motors 'endure' longer than ICE systems.

eight8toy
11-29-2019, 08:29 PM
I put my deposit down days ago for the 500 mile range version

valdez
12-05-2019, 03:30 PM

Ugly as s#!t.

Michael
12-05-2019, 06:55 PM
Ugly as s#!t.

One of the many reasons I am drawn to it. I love designs that take the road less traveled to stay true to the vision rather than try to appease the masses. This truck wasn't designed for the guy who wants to impress. In fact the reason it looks like it does is the stainless panels are cold rolled 30x making them extremely dense and tough, damn near dent proof. There isn't a die out there that is tough enough to stamp steel that hard in mass quantities so it must be folded like paper.

DMCVegas
12-05-2019, 08:30 PM

Petroleum fuels aren't going anywhere any time soon. Particularly as far as the government is concerned. ICE vehicles contribute far too much in fuel taxes to be outlawed anytime soon. Let alone the industries surrounding petroleum.

Range isn't really a concern, although that depends upon where you live. Houston is an ideal city for EVs. Everywhere up and down I-10 and the other roads have charging stations. Along with lots of employers who offer parking spots with 110V outlets for EV charging. My guess is that due to regulatory costs, let alone fuel price dictation by the petroleum companies along with competition between convenience stores, we'll probably see a significant sea change in the future of gas stations that start ripping out pumps & tanks to convert to EV recharging stations. So that'll offset things even more.

But given that apartment complexes don't offer onsite EV charging for each resident's assigned parking spot, gasoline & diesel aren't going away anytime soon.

Even then, my biggest concern isn't even range anxiety. It's the fact that we don't have a massive aftermarket support network for repairing EVs. Toyota sold ungodly amounts of Priuses (or whatever the Plural of Prius is), so there's a massive support network there of aftermarket battery parts suppliers. Which is precisely what we need, but we don't have that with EVs. Every 3-4 years car makers are killing off existing EVs and migrating electric options to completely new platforms. Which kills the parts supply. Once they overcome that and make EVs super cheap to repair, that's when we'll see more widespread adoption.

Michael
12-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Personally I see how quickly technology doubles and price is reduced. In the 1800's it took 100 years to double our collective technological prowess. These days it's every 6 months(probably less). I see how far the electric car has come in the past decade and with the range increasing, charge times and cost decreasing, and infrastructure growing, I have no doubt in my mind the next 10 years will see the EV be the mainstay of everyday travel.

I however am not one of those people that would buy a EV and then stick my tongue out at the gas crowd. I know there would not be a county let alone an EV if it were not for the gas engine and let's be honest, there isn't a battery in existence that will get a 747 off the ground or a cargo ship across the Atlantic. The EV as a viable mode of transportation is right around the corner but gas ain't going anywhere for some time.

valdez
12-06-2019, 01:31 PM
One of the many reasons I am drawn to it. I love designs that take the road less traveled to stay true to the vision rather than try to appease the masses. This truck wasn't designed for the guy who wants to impress. In fact the reason it looks like it does is the stainless panels are cold rolled 30x making them extremely dense and tough, damn near dent proof. There isn't a die out there that is tough enough to stamp steel that hard in mass quantities so it must be folded like paper.

I'm drawn to different looking things as well, but not ugly. I would never buy a big ticket item that I had to "get used" to looking at.
Ugly?: check. I now have enough info on whether or not I will consider this vehicle. It flies and floats too you say - lost me at first impression.

To each their own, but this turd will need a lot of polishing.

DMCVegas
12-06-2019, 09:01 PM
The EV as a viable mode of transportation is right around the corner but gas ain't going anywhere for some time.

Agreed. It'll definitely grow from commuting to certain levels of interstate travel, but there are somethings that EVs just can't do. I can't wait for the first story of a Tesla truck that dies out on a remote mountain trail because the battery is run down. A full ICE engine, or even a hybrid can easily and quickly be refueled, and that fuel is lightweight to carry back. But batteries? You're gonna need to either tow the thing out, or bring a generator and a whole bunch of gasoline to run it so you can recharge the batteries.

Michael
12-06-2019, 09:25 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2019/12/06/tesla-cybertruck-production-timeline-update-orders/amp/

Looks like the cheapskates were screwed over. The 2WD was widely thought to be the first trucks available but poor pre order numbers changed the timetable. I changed my order to the AWD a day or so after I reserved a 2WD version. 10k more for 20% more range and almost twice the acceleration not to mention the benefits of AWD.

Hill Valley PD
12-06-2019, 09:38 PM
So you will have your truck in about 4-5 years :)

Michael
12-06-2019, 09:54 PM
So you will have your truck in about 4-5 years :)

From what the article said, actual ordering will begin in 2021 and production follows shortly after. I'm not far up on the list but I also know that when everyone gets that email contract wanting more than a Benjaminn, 75% will back out, probably more. I figure I will be around spring 2022 at the earliest, fall 2022 at the latest. (If I can bare to let go of my DeLorean by then).

mr_maxime
12-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Agreed. It'll definitely grow from commuting to certain levels of interstate travel, but there are somethings that EVs just can't do. I can't wait for the first story of a Tesla truck that dies out on a remote mountain trail because the battery is run down. A full ICE engine, or even a hybrid can easily and quickly be refueled, and that fuel is lightweight to carry back. But batteries? You're gonna need to either tow the thing out, or bring a generator and a whole bunch of gasoline to run it so you can recharge the batteries.

Its possible but that's really user error. When you consider how much less likely it is to have a mechanical failure, I'd say it really shouldn't be a concern. Imagine doing that with an Ice truck and the fuel pump or clutch dies, you'd likely need a tow, but the ev doesn't have those parts to break down.

I have a coworker who drives a leaf, the only breakdown he had was the original 12v battery dying around 5 years into ownership.

I think a big problem with Evs currently is everyone making their own battery and in different form factors. If they started standardizing and using a common supplier it might make adoption easier, especially if they make them swappable like a forklift battery pack. Even using 18650 cells like Tesla does but a different packaging would speed up overall adoption and hopefully lower overall costs. 18650 are also used in laptops and can be used in a home battery backup storage, so there is an incentive to mass produce a standard form outside of evs

FABombjoy
12-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Tesla truck that dies out on a remote mountain trail because the battery is run down.
"Whoops, I went done ran outta battery!" is a scenario that you'd have to insist on putting yourself in.

But for your mountain scenario, just point your truck back down the trail and regenerative brake back down to ground level.

Michael
12-07-2019, 12:03 PM
The first time I looked at a Chiappa Rhino I thought it was ugly because I was looking at it as a revolver. Then I looked again, judged it by it's merits and long story short, I am on my 4th one now. Best revolver I have ever shot. The moral of the story is as long as you cling onto convention, you will never see the future through your eyes and condemn yourself to be a passenger in your own life.

What does this have to do with a EV? I don't know but the Europeans hate it.

mr_maxime
12-07-2019, 12:03 PM
"Whoops, I went done ran outta battery!" is a scenario that you'd have to insist on putting yourself in.

But for your mountain scenario, just point your truck back down the trail and regenerative brake back down to ground level.

https://youtu.be/BSWR-0GkNCk

gluaisrothaii
12-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Since 2013 we have about 113,000 miles in electric.

2013 Tesla S85- 45,000 miles (sold to upgrade to performance dual motor)
2015 Tesla P85D- 65,000 miles (still have this one)
2019 Fiat 500e- 3000 miles (just leased for shorter city commute)

Have hit Santa Barbara, LA, Tahoe numerous times, Santa Rosa, etc, etc. Never a concern with range given the Supercharger network. Tahoe is especially fun- no loss of power with increased altitude makes the drive up 50/80 a joy; plus watching the range increase on the downslope drive.

I might have a different mindset than others with respect to fuel management, being a pilot. It's something that's always top of mind. But for most folks EV management is easy to get used to. The one annoying thing about driving the DeLorean is having to gas it up. With the electrics, I plug in when I get to work. Takes 30 seconds. Gassing up is messy, smelly and takes far too long with the CA fuel nozzles. I can pump 30 gallons of 100LL per side into the plane faster than I can get 15 of 91 out of the local gas pump.

Blue skies,
Ken

Chris4099
12-07-2019, 12:35 PM
I can't wait for the first story of a Tesla truck that dies out on a remote mountain trail because the battery is run down.

About 4 or 5 years ago, Tesla updated the GPS system to make sure that never happens unless you are an idiot. Basically if you start driving away from any known charging locations, it will popup an alert on the screen warning you that you are about drive out of range of charging (unless your navigation destination is a charging location). I had this happen to me when I was driving in Montana to my brother in-law's place. Because I had never charged there before, the car started warning me about 70 miles into a 150 mile stretch. Fortunately I was able to ignore it since I was planning on just plugging into a 120v outlet at his place. My next trip there, the warning never appeared since it knew about that charging location from the past trip. Of course it probably won't handle off road driving right now, but there's no reason they can't update it once the truck is released.

Over the last 6 years, my wife and I have driven over 130k EV miles. Never once have we run out of charge. If you are unsure if you will make it, just put the destination into the GPS and it will calculate the power required (factoring elevation changes and temperature). Unlike a gas car, you'll know if you can make it without a refuel before even leaving! If not, just plan for a charge somewhere and no worries about running out. Of course this only really applies for road trips. Daily driving it's even more of a no big deal. Just spend 5 seconds unplugging when you leave and 5 seconds plugging back in when you return. You'll have a "full tank" every day.

DMCVegas
12-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Its possible but that's really user error. When you consider how much less likely it is to have a mechanical failure, I'd say it really shouldn't be a concern. Imagine doing that with an Ice truck and the fuel pump or clutch dies, you'd likely need a tow, but the ev doesn't have those parts to break down.

I have a coworker who drives a leaf, the only breakdown he had was the original 12v battery dying around 5 years into ownership.

I think a big problem with Evs currently is everyone making their own battery and in different form factors. If they started standardizing and using a common supplier it might make adoption easier, especially if they make them swappable like a forklift battery pack. Even using 18650 cells like Tesla does but a different packaging would speed up overall adoption and hopefully lower overall costs. 18650 are also used in laptops and can be used in a home battery backup storage, so there is an incentive to mass produce a standard form outside of evs

The problem isn't that manufacturers haven't coordinated together on a single system, it's that they can't commit to their own platforms. Toyota did a great job with the Prius where they first mass-produced the vehicle, and then as they expanded upon it with different body styles, they stuck with the platforms for multiple models and different sub-configurations under the Toyota New Global Architecture program. Now you've got multiple cars that either use the same batteries, or at least minimal variations. It helps with both reducing initial manufacturing costs, but also with aftermarket support. Look at Ford & GM. They make EVs, and then less than 4-5 years later dump them and all support for them.

The only 2 companies that have come close to Toyota have been Tesla and Nissan with the Leaf. Tesla's stuff is just too damn expensive still, and so they're still not yet open to aftermarket support due to the shallow pockets of the common folk. The Nissan Leaf though is sabotaged straight from the factory. Nissan got cheap and never installed a proper cooling system for their batteries. So while everyone else has EVs that can hit 80%+ battery capacity in 20 or so minutes with Level 3 charging, the Leaf was incurring long-term battery damage, and would eventually refuse to take a charge unless the batteries cooled off. Did Nissan install a proper cooling system in the second gen to avoid this? Nope. They just made the cars charge more slowly, more than doubling time to 40-45 minutes for a fast charge.

As for mechanical breakdowns, a truck has more vulnerabilities than a car, but I'll touch upon that in another post.

DMCVegas
12-08-2019, 11:42 AM

I can't argue with the fact that people would be responsible for putting themselves into these scenarios. But that doesn't mean that they still won't happen.

Most mountain trails are not straight up and down. Lots of times when you're trail riding, the trails go both up and down as they go through passes. Even if you were going straight down, regenerative braking alone isn't going to recharge the battery pack to get you out of there. Assuming that the vehicle would even move under it's own power at that point, as it'll most likely shut down completely as a safety precaution. Can't push start it like a manual transmission.

Which brings me to....

About 4 or 5 years ago, Tesla updated the GPS system to make sure that never happens unless you are an idiot. Basically if you start driving away from any known charging locations, it will popup an alert on the screen warning you that you are about drive out of range of charging (unless your navigation destination is a charging location). I had this happen to me when I was driving in Montana...

Yeah, I'ma go ahead and stop you right there. Because I don't think that you're quite on the same page as me.

Anytime you try and further idiotproof something to solve a problem, you'll just wind up creating a better idiot. Warnings are not going to help. And even then, the problem isn't range anxiety here that I'm talking about.

You see, a car isn't a truck. Despite what you see in the suburbs, trucks have a completely different purpose, and elsewhere people actually use them for those purposes. People run out of fuel all the time. Be it hurricanes, or out on trails. Most times we don't hear about these situations because someone just brings some fuel to the stranded vehicles and the problem is solved. Although every few years we do end up hearing about some moron who gets stranded out in Death Valley and dies of exposure... Anyway, you're not gonna be able to just drag a battery pack out there to a remote location to swap out and get the vehicle going again. You're gonna either need to tow the thing out (which is expensive), or bring a portable generator and run it for a few hours to recharge the battery. Which completely defeats the point of owning an EV.

Range calculations are not going to be the same at all. 500 miles on a charge with a 14,000 lbs. towing capacity? Yeah, but not at the same time, obviously. But even then with those calculations, that's on flat, smooth roads. Going offroad you're going to have significantly more power consumption as you travel. You'll have everything from silt to mud. All of which causes problems with grip. Be it too little causing inefficiencies, or too much requiring more torque to overcome. In both cases the range of any vehicle is greatly reduced as power consumption is increased. So what's next? Bring along a 4KW generator with 5 gallons of fuel and spend 4-5 hours charging? Drag 1,200 lbs.s of auxillary battery packs with you, killing your range even more? Or do you option for an off-road recovery? A tow that may cost you hundreds of dollars due to the remote location because you ran out of power.

The point here is that even ICE engines run out of fuel. For all of the advantages of EVs, the major disadvantage now isn't the range, it's the ability to refuel quickly and efficiency in remote places, away from a distribution network. Particularly once we're now leaving the safety of basic commuter cars and we get into purpose-built equipment. Gasoline & Diesel may cost more, but you are paying for a convenience you may not have realized until you're in one of these situations.

FABombjoy
12-08-2019, 01:54 PM
I don't see how its worth the time to concern yourself about scenarios that have not occurred. The thing isn't even built yet already people are out there screwin' around in the mountains. "Hey, quit screwin' around out there, you come back down the mountain, yer gonna getcherself in trouble!"

We bought a Bolt EV a few months ago and it brings out a weird side in some people. Some kind of political beliefs blended with whattaboutism blended with either ignorance or a lack of understanding. The humble little Bolt is a great car even on longer trips and our ICE cars feel like Stanley Steamers now.

Michael
12-08-2019, 02:18 PM
I don't see how its worth the time to concern yourself about scenarios that have not occurred. The thing isn't even built yet already people are out there screwin' around in the mountains. "Hey, quit screwin' around out there, you come back down the mountain, yer gonna getcherself in trouble!"

We need red flag laws for EV's

mr_maxime
12-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Look at Ford & GM. They make EVs, and then less than 4-5 years later dump them and all support for them.

Ford, GM and Chrysler dump support for anything that isn't a truck or muscle car so that's not really a fair point. Seriously, I think Ford's overall sales decreased for anything that wasn't a truck in 2019.

The only 2 companies that have come close to Toyota have been Tesla and Nissan with the Leaf. Tesla's stuff is just too damn expensive still, and so they're still not yet open to aftermarket support due to the shallow pockets of the common folk. The Nissan Leaf though is sabotaged straight from the factory. Nissan got cheap and never installed a proper cooling system for their batteries. So while everyone else has EVs that can hit 80%+ battery capacity in 20 or so minutes with Level 3 charging, the Leaf was incurring long-term battery damage, and would eventually refuse to take a charge unless the batteries cooled off. Did Nissan install a proper cooling system in the second gen to avoid this? Nope. They just made the cars charge more slowly, more than doubling time to 40-45 minutes for a fast charge.

I'm not going to argue that Leaf batteries are inferior to Tesla, but they are definitely not sabotaged. They're just the cheaper option. A salvage leaf battery pack runs $3k-3.5k vs a tesla pack for $8k-12k. This really boils down to what you can afford and not really a problem with EVs in general.

mr_maxime
12-08-2019, 07:05 PM
I can't argue with the fact that people would be responsible for putting themselves into these scenarios. But that doesn't mean that they still won't happen.

Most mountain trails are not straight up and down. Lots of times when you're trail riding, the trails go both up and down as they go through passes. Even if you were going straight down, regenerative braking alone isn't going to recharge the battery pack to get you out of there. Assuming that the vehicle would even move under it's own power at that point, as it'll most likely shut down completely as a safety precaution. Can't push start it like a manual transmission.

Like FABombjoy said, this is concerning yourself with hypothetical scenarios. You could just have easily have a gas-powered car run out of gas next to a wall outlet.

DMCVegas
12-09-2019, 06:14 AM
Ford, GM and Chrysler dump support for anything that isn't a truck or muscle car so that's not really a fair point. Seriously, I think Ford's overall sales decreased for anything that wasn't a truck in 2019.

I disagree on that. It's a completely fair point given Toyota's approach. Toyota has integrated EV drivetrains into multiple platforms. Those platforms are in turn modular with various configurations which gets multiple vehicles which share parts onto the road. Then those vehicles can also go through badge engineering as Lexus starts releasing them under their own brand. That's important because large volume sales help to also create spare parts supplies, as well as spur investment from the aftermarket community. Ford & GM (note I didn't mention Chrysler) keep on killing this kind of support phenomenon by continuously abandoning platforms and constantly starting over. The Focus EV, Spark, & Ampera-e might as well now be sent to the same scrap pile as Fiskar. We got very lucky thanks to JZD's greed that created this massive cache of parts that keep our cars on the road, and I think we tend to take that for granted that other marques, even modern ones like these EVs don't share in our luxury.

Groupe PSA already had plans for inroads back into the North American market with Peugeot & Citroën, and that just got a whole lot easier with the FCA merger. My money is on Chrysler being the dark hose that will match Toyota and help dominate the EV market. They've already got the sales in Europe and can just expand existing production instead of having to waste R&D money on continually investing in reinventing a new EV.

I'm not going to argue that Leaf batteries are inferior to Tesla, but they are definitely not sabotaged. They're just the cheaper option. A salvage leaf battery pack runs $3k-3.5k vs a tesla pack for $8k-12k. This really boils down to what you can afford and not really a problem with EVs in general.

The Leaf batteries aren't the problem. It's the cooling systems it seems that Nissan cheaped out on. Previously Nissan issued warnings that regular Fast Charging the Leaf would decimate battery capacitance by 10%. Now the revised plan to avoid this has magically become extending fast charging times to 45 minutes versus Ford's 30 and Tesla's 20. Because the latter have decent cooling systems integrated into their battery arrays to prevent excessive heat damage.

Like FABombjoy said, this is concerning yourself with hypothetical scenarios. You could just have easily have a gas-powered car run out of gas next to a wall outlet.

I can carry a can of gasoline as far as I need to refuel a vehicle. I cannot, however, drag an extension cord and do the same.

I know that EVs are a sore political point with many people. They're one of the few things out there that are dumped on and despised by people on both sides of the political spectrum. People on one side hate that wealthy people are forced to pay for government-funded incentives, and on the opposite side you have people who decry those same rebates claiming that they only benefit the wealthy. Go figure.

Now I like EVs. I believe that they're the future, and are viable replacements for the vast majority of vehicles on the road today. There are shortcomings to be sure, though I've no doubt that they'll be sorted out in the future with technology & infrastructure. Hell, before there were gas stations we had to purchase fuel from pharmacies and general stores that carried it, so we'll overcome this too. But as much as I like them, I do have to recognize that there are just some things that EVs cannot do. And pointing that out really seems to make supporters very uncomfortable.

mr_maxime
12-09-2019, 08:57 AM
But as much as I like them, I do have to recognize that there are just some things that EVs cannot do. And pointing that out really seems to make supporters very uncomfortable.

You're pointing out things that EVs cannot do that don't matter for the majority of owners or car usage. Yes, in some scenarios Evs could be more impractical, but those are so out of the norm for daily usage to not really take into consideration for mass market adoption of Evs. I mean you're pointing out death Valley, what percentage of drivers actually go there on a daily basis?

Michael
12-09-2019, 09:24 AM
I agree that electric cars still have their disadvantages, everyone understands this very obvious fact Robert. I think what we are excited about is just how fast this alternative form of transportation is expanding. 20 years ago EV technology was barely a blip on the radar. How much has gas engine technology changed in the past 20 years compared to electric? I pose barely none at all. Everything and I do mean everything you have mentioned as a weak spot for electric technology is getting better by the month! Do you know why? Because the technology is constantly getting better and doing it quicker than ever before. I touched on this on an earlier post as how we are growing everything about our everyday way of life faster.....exponentially faster. The first iPhone smartphone is what 11 or 12 years old? If the the iPhone were a teen it wouldn't even have a learner's permit now and just look how much has changed in that very short time.

I see charging stations becoming more and more popular. I see capacity and range doing nothing but getting better and charge times taking no longer than a gas stop (right now we are at the 20 min mark at a supercharger). In the near future I see battery packs getting smaller, lighter, and standardized in a way that you pull into a station, swap a battery pack out much like you would a propane tank at Walmart.

To be honest the ONLY thing that I hesitate about when considering an electric car is this; if I buy one now, will it be obsolete in a year? Will the EV platform be so much better in 12 months that I would have wish I had waited a little longer? It's coming and it's going to happen in the blink of an eye.

SamHill
12-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Lots of adoption here in DC. Perfect for the kind of stop and go stuff we do. I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

DMCVegas
12-13-2019, 06:58 AM
I see charging stations becoming more and more popular. I see capacity and range doing nothing but getting better and charge times taking no longer than a gas stop (right now we are at the 20 min mark at a supercharger). In the near future I see battery packs getting smaller, lighter, and standardized in a way that you pull into a station, swap a battery pack out much like you would a propane tank at Walmart.

Unless it's a purpose-built service vehicle, swappable battery packs will most likely never happen. EVs are designed to either have the batteries buried as deep as possible for cargo capacity, or have them intergrated into "skateboard" platforms. Then there's the concern about physical damage from mishandling to the Li-Ion backs causing thermal events, or even just the scratching of the customer's vehicle during the deinstallation/installation process. Not to mention the logistics of charging arrays and safe storage of the cells.

To be honest the ONLY thing that I hesitate about when considering an electric car is this; if I buy one now, will it be obsolete in a year? Will the EV platform be so much better in 12 months that I would have wish I had waited a little longer? It's coming and it's going to happen in the blink of an eye.

That's a valid point. Particularly with the disposable attitudes of Silicon Valley culture as they've been brought in to co-develop EVs. IMO the solution will ultimately be the aftermarket who creates the standards, and Detroit will be forced to follow suit. For years all you could buy were carburetors for classic cars. But then as more younger people got involved in the hobby, the push for EFI solutions became more and more pressing. Thus Mega Squirt was born. A whole DIY market with support took hold. A few years later as EFI becomes more and more desirable, now suddenly Edlebrock & Holley start offering EFI kits for people.

So it will go with EVs. Before you know it, we'll have an aftermarket solution to gut out OEM batteries, motors, & controllers for not just older vehicles, but newer ones to retrofit more reliable and powerful systems to upgrade new cars the way we used to with our radios.

Michael
12-13-2019, 09:37 AM
Unless it's a purpose-built service vehicle, swappable battery packs will most likely never happen. EVs are designed to either have the batteries buried as deep as possible for cargo capacity, or have them intergrated into "skateboard" platforms. Then there's the concern about physical damage from mishandling to the Li-Ion backs causing thermal events, or even just the scratching of the customer's vehicle during the deinstallation/installation process. Not to mention the logistics of charging arrays and safe storage of the cells.

Just because you can't forsee it doesn't mean it won't or can't happen. 30 years ago who would have dreamed we could buy an actual laser that a common person could own? Now we buy them at the dollar store to play with our cat.

DMCVegas
12-14-2019, 07:36 AM
Just because you can't forsee it doesn't mean it won't or can't happen. 30 years ago who would have dreamed we could buy an actual laser that a common person could own? Now we buy them at the dollar store to play with our cat.

It's not a lack of vision, bur rather a question of practicality. Could you develop such a system for swapping batteries? Certainly. Would it be viable however? Probably not. There are just too many logistical problems that you have to deal with first to make such a system work.

Firstly you'd have to design an entire platform that is shared among multiple manufacturers to accept swappable battery packs.
Then you've got to figure out a way to swap out a battery pack that weighs over 1,000 lbs. and gets the vehicle roadworthy in less than 20-40 minutes (you're running against level 3 charging times).
Now you've got to consider start-up costs for such a station. How much land would you need for service bays and battery storage. Then you need fire safety systems for that many batteries in place. Then finally with an optimistic wholesale cost of $8K per battery unit, you need the capital for inventory.
Finally, you've got to calculate a price point for this service, and it must be competitive against a level 3 charging station. Or more specifically, is the cost difference between such a service and fast charging actually worth the 20% charging difference?

This is even before we consider the customer service issues with the batteries. Say someone buys a brand new EV, and drives it for a year or so. They're used to the range of the vehicle. Then one day they go on a trip, and use this service to swap out packs on a trip. Now the new battery has several hundred more cycles on it, and has a diminished capacity resulting in a lower range for the vehicle. Which is totally natural, but now you've got to explain that to the customer who sees that you've "ruined" their brand-new car. Let alone the other customer that brought in that worn battery pack, and now just swapped it out for a brand-new one without paying for it.

Swapping batteries would only work for a private fleet, such as taxi cabs to get the units back into service ASAP. With OTR freight transportation, it would be much easier to operate that Pony Express style: Driver comes into depot, drops trailer while entire EV tractors get swapped out with a fully charged vehicle. Granted that kills independent contractors, but it works.

I know that EVs are politically polarizing, and bring out emotions with people. But this isn't one of those cases here with me. I'm not against EVs, nor am I against your ideas simply because I can't foresee such a system. What I am saying is that from a business standpoint there are many questions here which much be asked, and demand answers before proceeding. Now if you, or someone else can figure out the answers to these questions about viability, which is not the same as possibility, then you can make the world a better place and your wallet a whole lot fatter. Which benefits us all.

Michael
12-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Everything you said was based on what I referenced was "near future". Near future is not next month. Your scenarios are based on what we know today, not what we will learn, and not 10 or 20 years from now.

I'm going to save this thread and come back here in 2030 and say I told you so.

mr_maxime
12-14-2019, 09:06 AM
I'm sure no one in the 80s thought smartphones would have been viable and had numerous logistical problems at the time.

Just look at computers, we went from floppies to 1tb micro SD cards

MrChocky
12-14-2019, 10:47 AM
I'm sure no one in the 80s thought smartphones would have been viable and had numerous logistical problems at the time.

Just look at computers, we went from floppies to 1tb micro SD cards

That's more true than you know. The miniaturization that's gone into cell phone developed has had numerous side benefits, including today's cube
sats, and all the small computers in modern cars and now billions of IoT devices.

*But* battery technology has not had the same geometric improvements like Moore's law and the like. Improvements in capacity
have been small and linear (remember that there were electric cars 100 years ago). A lot of the advancement has in fact come
from power efficiency due to smaller size of devices.

Michael
12-14-2019, 11:27 PM
I'll be honest. The Cybertruck is cool as a Blade Runner spinner but it will have to meet some goals before I am a serious player. First, I can't figure out if it has carpet or one of those rubber mat lined floors. If I am going to shell out 50k for a truck, it better have carpet. Second, I would want to have SOMETHING in front of my wheel. I don't want a Model 3 layout and I don't want to have to look at the center console to find out my speed. I would like some basic info on the instrument panel location, I would even settle for a HUD. Third, the while exoskeleton (aka unibody) needs to be addressed. If someone runs into my quarter, how will that be fixed? With the D, individual panels are replaceable but the quarter, fenders, and roof are all one piece and the metal is so tough it's unworkable. How does one repair a panel that is unworkable and unpaintable without disassembly of the entire vehicle and replacing the core structure? A few other odds and ends like the tires, they don't look cheap, they look like they are custom made and they don't look like they would last long driving on pavement.

I am sure these questions will be answered in the next year or so.

SamHill
12-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Some recent Tesla criticism

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/Ludicrous-The-Unvarnished-Story-of-Tesla-Motors

DMC-81
01-09-2020, 07:19 PM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62285&d=1578614966

Bwhahahaha!!!

After giving myself time to do some deliberation, I ordered my dual motor AWD version today. Can't wait....

mluder
01-14-2020, 07:39 PM
Just to echo what many have said:
- I like odd cars (obviously)
- It's connection to the DeLorean can't be denied
- I too put $100 down on the 4wd version.
It's completely refundable so when it ACTUALLY hits the market in about 3 years I'll buy, get a refund, or sell my place in line.

Cheers!
Steven

DMC-81
02-06-2020, 12:41 PM
A BTTF scene remake using Cybertruck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUBEXK0_R2Q

I figured it was only a matter of time. :wink:

I liked the plate: LOL GAS :hihi2:

Timeless
02-06-2020, 03:11 PM
Second, I would want to have SOMETHING in front of my wheel. I don't want a Model 3 layout and I don't want to have to look at the center console to find out my speed. I would like some basic info on the instrument panel location, I would even settle for a HUD.
I own a 2020 Model 3 and I love the layout. Minimal, but everything needed. The speed in the upper left is not as hard to see as people think. This car (and Teslas) has spoiled me for every other vehicle out there with an "old" internal combustion engine... (DMC-12 exluded :thumbup2:) It's the future and it's glorious.

DMC-81
02-08-2020, 05:17 PM
I had another person render the Cybertruck with this more street oriented wheel and tire package. Since my truck will spend most of the time on the road, I would prefer a wheel package similar to this. What do you think?

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62630&d=1581199669

Michael
02-08-2020, 10:58 PM
I had another person render the Cybertruck with this more street oriented wheel and tire package. Since my truck will spend most of the time on the road, I would prefer a wheel package similar to this. What do you think?

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62630&d=1581199669

I have seen many renderings/photoshop adjustments that make the truck look much better than the prototype. Wheels and tires on the prototype are pretty ugly. I like the subtle positive offset a lot of renderings like yours show. I also think the fender trim is bland. Some more extreme bodywork really sets the design off especially if it comes somewhat flush with the aforementioned offset. I think we are all getting ahead of ourselves though.

The truck is almost 2 years away which in Tesla talk is probably closer to 3. Wheel/tire design may be integral to the function of the vehicle and cannot be changed, or maybe it will affect warranty or performance such as range.

I am pretty much forgetting about the truck lest I become prematurely excited like the tools waiting 8 years for the new DeLorean.

DMC-81
02-09-2020, 07:08 PM
I have seen many renderings/photoshop adjustments that make the truck look much better than the prototype. Wheels and tires on the prototype are pretty ugly. I like the subtle positive offset a lot of renderings like yours show. I also think the fender trim is bland. Some more extreme bodywork really sets the design off especially if it comes somewhat flush with the aforementioned offset. I think we are all getting ahead of ourselves though.

The truck is almost 2 years away which in Tesla talk is probably closer to 3. Wheel/tire design may be integral to the function of the vehicle and cannot be changed, or maybe it will affect warranty or performance such as range.

I am pretty much forgetting about the truck lest I become prematurely excited like the tools waiting 8 years for the new DeLorean.

Yeah, the tire package on the prototype looked like something out of RoboCop. I read that in a podcast Elon Musk said his " “inspiration board” for the pickup included the movies ‘Blade Runner,’ ‘Mad Max,’ ‘Back to the Future,’ ‘Aliens’ – that’s why it looks like that.”

....I knew there was a DeLorean connection.

I know it's arrival is quite some time away, but, to me it's fun to experiment with things like this while we are waiting. It was 4 years before the Gen 5 Camaro went from concept to showroom (2006 - 2010). I was equally excited and remember waiting patiently for that one as well. After the financial calamity and GM's bankruptcy, I lost hope for a while.

Today I went to a Cars and Coffee and two Tesla owners were talking about the CT. One of them had a silver Model X and ordered a CT. The other one brought his Ferrari. :hihi: They both were very complimentary of the DeLorean. So we got talking and eventually decided to do a photo op for the crowd:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62652&d=1581285794

I guess "Birds of a feather flock together ". :)

It was a fun morning.

Timeless
02-10-2020, 08:11 AM
Nice! Where was the C&C? There was a huge Tesla meet Saturday in Miami - I couldn't make it though.

DMC-81
02-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Nice! Where was the C&C? There was a huge Tesla meet Saturday in Miami - I couldn't make it though.

Thanks. It was in Orlando, (Winter Park specifically).

MML
02-17-2020, 07:26 PM
https://i.imgur.com/zgKhcFq.jpg

JETS 81 DMC
02-19-2020, 12:52 PM
https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/motoring-news/tesla-cars-tricked-into-speeding-by-electrical-tape-on-a-sign/news-story/574ecfa424b4b945dcec3de63601b5f9

Chris4099
02-19-2020, 03:45 PM
To clarify what this was about, they did this on an AP1 equipped Tesla. AP1 was only used from about 2014 thru 2016 on the Model S/X. All cars since then (including the hundreds of thousands of Model 3s currently on the road) use AP2.x or AP3. The newer systems don't read speed signs and instead uses Google map data to determine the speed limit of the road it's on. Also not mentioned is this is with TACC or AP, both of which will not go faster then the car in front of it. So if you are in traffic, the car won't suddenly accelerate and crash into the car in front, it will simply keep pace with it as before. Being a Level 2 system, the driver is expected to maintain awareness of the car and surroundings, so if there was no traffic, they could easily shut the system off (it doesn't do any hard acceleration, so the driver would have plenty of time to notice something was wrong).

JETS 81 DMC
02-19-2020, 08:52 PM
To clarify what this was about, they did this on an AP1 equipped Tesla. AP1 was only used from about 2014 thru 2016 on the Model S/X. All cars since then (including the hundreds of thousands of Model 3s currently on the road) use AP2.x or AP3. The newer systems don't read speed signs and instead uses Google map data to determine the speed limit of the road it's on. Also not mentioned is this is with TACC or AP, both of which will not go faster then the car in front of it. So if you are in traffic, the car won't suddenly accelerate and crash into the car in front, it will simply keep pace with it as before. Being a Level 2 system, the driver is expected to maintain awareness of the car and surroundings, so if there was no traffic, they could easily shut the system off (it doesn't do any hard acceleration, so the driver would have plenty of time to notice something was wrong).

Thanks for that info.
Interesting the news article is dated today 2/19/2020.

Chris4099
02-20-2020, 09:43 AM
Tesla's AP1 system uses a MobileEye system. The same system other car makers have used in probably millions of other cars. It's just that Tesla makes for a more flashy video and it actually leverages that speed info for the TACC. Most other cars simply used the speed sign info to display the speed limit on the dash and that's all. Because it's a MobileEye system, it would actually require MobileEye to fix their recognition software, not Tesla. However, I suppose Tesla could add some programming on their system to not trust a reported speed that's 50MPH over what Google Maps says it should be.

I'm sure as self driving cars become more common, people will try to mess with them. They key thing to remember, a lot of these tricks will impact human drivers as well. I'm sure there are a lot of people that think it's perfectly OK to drive up to 85MPH in the city if the sign says so. :) While a self driving car should be better then a human, the bar is pretty low out there!

Timeless
02-21-2020, 02:07 PM
Tesla has seized using MobileEye with recent production vehicles.

WHO1DMC
08-19-2023, 11:37 PM
This popped up on Instagram

Dave B.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230820/0581ae286450facdec556c715283adc0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

JBaker4981
08-22-2023, 09:52 AM
This popped up on Instagram

Dave B.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230820/0581ae286450facdec556c715283adc0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Be careful with what you see on the internet. I have no idea if that is real or fake but my initial thought is that 3 of those bastards on the top of a car carrier would make that significantly top heavy and I cannot fathom that they'd load them like that (especially with no weight on the bottom)

I mean... a Cyber Truck is probably going to weigh what, 4 tons?

AugustneverEnds
08-22-2023, 12:58 PM
Be careful with what you see on the internet. I have no idea if that is real or fake but my initial thought is that 3 of those bastards on the top of a car carrier would make that significantly top heavy and I cannot fathom that they'd load them like that (especially with no weight on the bottom)

I mean... a Cyber Truck is probably going to weigh what, 4 tons?

You're right, the picture could be a fake or it's a real picture of fake trucks, bodies with no motors, battery packs, etc... Not at all like Tesla to engage in publicity stunts :rolleyes:

DMC-81
08-22-2023, 07:03 PM
It was a real photo. Actually there were a total of 9 Cybertrucks on 3 car carriers that were transported from the new factory in Austin TX, to the Tesla factory in Fremont CA. At least one of them was crash tested
These are RC models (Release Candidate).

Here they were before being loaded:

Here they are upon arrival in CA:

JBaker4981
08-24-2023, 04:11 PM
Here they are upon arrival in CA:

This is a great picture of those carriers - those dont look super high up as they did at first glance but man, those things are MASSIVE.

Look at the size of the CT compared to the Ford Fiesta/Fusion/POS on the left side of the photo! Got Dayum!

FABombjoy
08-24-2023, 07:44 PM
Look at the size of the CT compared to the Ford Fiesta/Fusion/POS on the left side of the photo! Got Dayum!
That's a Model Y, a bit bigger than a Fiesta/Fusion. The CT actually slightly smaller than an F150.

Helirich
08-25-2023, 12:41 PM
Is the skin stainless?

Timeless
08-25-2023, 01:31 PM
Is the skin stainless?
Skin? I assume you mean the body panels - yes they are. Here's a photo of the main body casting.