PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Quarantine project Stereo upgrade, and parcel shelf 6x9s.

L3V3L1
05-25-2020, 11:05 AM
I upgraded the radio to a new Retrosound, I think/hope, they have solved some of the old reliability issues. The install was pretty straight forward, besides some time spent trimming the included faceplate to work with the original Craig faceplate. I also built a rear shelf for some Sony 6x9s with dyed carpet to match the interior. My side panels were too brittle to remove the original blown out speakers without destroying the vinyl.

MrChocky
05-25-2020, 11:26 AM
I upgraded the radio to a new Retrosound, I think/hope, they have solved some of the old reliability issues. The install was pretty straight forward, besides some time spent trimming the included faceplate to work with the original Craig faceplate. I also built a rear shelf for some Sony 6x9s with dyed carpet to match the interior. My side panels were too brittle to remove the original blown out speakers without destroying the vinyl.

Nice. I get my car next weekend, and this is likely to be the first project. I'm pretty sure the rear speakers are blown out, and this might be the radio look I'm after. I'm not after anything fancy for the speakers, but I imagine it's worth doing front as well. Which model of radio did you choose?

L3V3L1
05-25-2020, 11:47 AM
Nice. I get my car next weekend, and this is likely to be the first project. I'm pretty sure the rear speakers are blown out, and this might be the radio look I'm after. I'm not after anything fancy for the speakers, but I imagine it's worth doing front as well. Which model of radio did you choose?
The stereo is the Retrosound "Delorean Hermosa"
AM/FM Bluetooth, 2 aux inputs, USB input, and it has the line out rca jacks, if you ever want to add an amp. A great tip when installing the front speakers is to use standoffs. I screwed 3 together screwed them in and then removed 2 of them. I didn't even need to go under the dash. I just did it by feel.

Jonathan
05-25-2020, 01:37 PM

What condition is your car in? Just thinking of things that would take first place in priority over the stereo project...

David T
05-25-2020, 02:25 PM
You must use stand-offs (spacers) if the tweeter cones project above the frame. Or find speakers that don't project. Easy enough to do the front speakers once you remove the seats. Four nuts each, easy and quick. The rear speakers are another story. The plastic IS very brittle. A heat gun and a putty knife and a LOT of patience. While you are at it you should rewire the speakers too. Get rid of that common return and up the wire size. The original speaker cones have turned to dust by now and must be replaced. Nice clean installation of the radio.

MrChocky
05-25-2020, 03:23 PM
What condition is your car in? Just thinking of things that would take first place in priority over the stereo project...Pretty fantastic. Perhaps in time that will not prove to be 100% true as I become familiar with it. Doesn't matter, gotta start somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jonathan
05-25-2020, 04:31 PM
Pretty fantastic. Perhaps in time that will not prove to be 100% true as I become familiar with it. Doesn't matter, gotta start somewhere.

Right on. Good to hear. I was hoping you weren't going to say mediocre, but that you were doing the stereo first anyway. No one wants a bitchin' stereo in an unreliable car, lol. Better to have a car that starts every time, but no tunes. :)

MrChocky
05-25-2020, 06:43 PM
Right on. Good to hear. I was hoping you weren't going to say mediocre, but that you were doing the stereo first anyway. No one wants a bitchin' stereo in an unreliable car, lol. Better to have a car that starts every time, but no tunes. :)You gotta get your priorities! Maybe bitchin' tunes are important [emoji41]

One car I looked at had no shelf, it was just all speakers. Even though mechanically the car was great, cosmetically it needed some help and the car felt too "done". This car is nearly immaculate and I'm hoping it'll go for a fair while before the surprises start.

Victor
05-25-2020, 07:28 PM
You must use stand-offs (spacers) if the tweeter cones project above the frame. Or find speakers that don't project. Easy enough to do the front speakers once you remove the seats. Four nuts each, easy and quick. The rear speakers are another story. The plastic IS very brittle. A heat gun and a putty knife and a LOT of patience. While you are at it you should rewire the speakers too. Get rid of that common return and up the wire size. The original speaker cones have turned to dust by now and must be replaced. Nice clean installation of the radio.

Very nice project, congratulations! I wonder if the int. rear side panel will have replacement done in fibreglass ? The later style with integrated armrests are better but still very brittle indeed.
Thank you for suggesting to replace the wire gauge also.

L3V3L1
05-25-2020, 10:44 PM
Very nice project, congratulations! I wonder if the int. rear side panel will have replacement done in fibreglass ? The later style with integrated armrests are better but still very brittle indeed.
Thank you for suggesting to replace the wire gauge also.
Thanks. I have seen the side panels recovered in vinyl, I don't know if replacement panels will ever be made available.

mr_maxime
05-25-2020, 10:47 PM
I like that new parcel shelf idea.

I don't mind fixing the audio before other problems. Sometimes its just way easier to do for a quality of life improvement.

Quinn
05-25-2020, 11:26 PM
It looks great, but makes me wonder how you remove the parcel shelf, to access the fuses/relays?

L3V3L1
05-26-2020, 05:32 AM
It looks great, but makes me wonder how you remove the parcel shelf, to access the fuses/relays?
You can just pull it out, disconnect one plug and it's back to stock.