PDA

View Full Version : General Seat mounting washers

Bitsyncmaster
10-03-2011, 06:55 PM
It looks like you need the washers inside on the four mounting studs to keep the rails from flexing due to the carpet under the rails. Here is a little trick I used to keep those washers on. Just put a small O-ring over the stud after you put the washers on. Holds the washers while you try to find the holes.

I was thinking also to maybe shorten those studs just a little so you don't need to remove the seat belt to get the seat installed. It just interferes a little bit so a 1/4 or 1/2 inch would do it. What do you think?

jackb
10-03-2011, 07:57 PM
That's a good idea with the o-ring. A small rubber band like the kind on kids braces, or a regular one twisted around a few times could do the same job too, or a piece of tape. I put two washers between the seat rails and the carpet on each stud with nothing though and it didn't take more than a minute or two.

I removed the seat belt bolts to put the seats in/out. It takes two seconds and I avoid the risk of cutting it too short or ruining the threads, anything like that.

DMCMW Dave
10-03-2011, 11:28 PM
It looks like you need the washers inside on the four mounting studs to keep the rails from flexing due to the carpet under the rails. Here is a little trick I used to keep those washers on. Just put a small O-ring over the stud after you put the washers on. Holds the washers while you try to find the holes.

I was thinking also to maybe shorten those studs just a little so you don't need to remove the seat belt to get the seat installed. It just interferes a little bit so a 1/4 or 1/2 inch would do it. What do you think?

You really need the washers to keep the seat tracks from tearing up the carpet.

I get seats in and out all the time without taking out the seat belt. I think the trick is run the seat all the way forward on the track before you lift it out.

I glue the washers in place with 3M weatherstrip adhesive, mostly because it's handy.

Bitsyncmaster
10-04-2011, 05:03 AM
You really need the washers to keep the seat tracks from tearing up the carpet.

I get seats in and out all the time without taking out the seat belt. I think the trick is run the seat all the way forward on the track before you lift it out.

I glue the washers in place with 3M weatherstrip adhesive, mostly because it's handy.

Now why didn't I think of moving the seat forward:hmm:

The bottom rail does not slide, so I guessed it must flex without the washers and make the seat hard to move.

bunni
10-04-2011, 02:23 PM
My PO (or his PO I'm fairly certain) had the washers gone on both sides, so the carpets were pretty torn up. But I do enjoy the fact that the seats are an inch or so lower than they should be. What would you recommend for a minimum height to lift the seats up to prevent the carpets from getting torn?

-Kris

DMCMW Dave
10-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Two standard flat 5/16 fender washers. There is no way your seat is and inch or two low, maybe 1/8" to 3/16" at the most. The carpet is still there too.

bunni
10-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Dave, with a nylock nut on, the bolts stick out a good 3/4"-1" underneath the body of my car. So far down in fact that they were low enough to catch on something and get bent by the PO, had to replace them. In the past I've read other people who used around 6 washers IIRC (of course I can't find the original article I was looking at anymore). I also assume the seats were meant to be high enough that the bolts on the bottom were no more than 1/8" below the nut to keep them pretty stable. Thats the logic that I pulled my numbers from. Thanks for the tip though!

-Kris

DMCMW Dave
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Factory was one thick washer on each. And they normally stick out quite a bit past the nylock.