PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plate Options

Notifier
10-04-2011, 07:31 PM
I need to install a front license plate on my DeLorean - state requirement. From what I can figure I have at least three options and just wondering, from experience, which one actually works "best".

Option 1 - Original factory "T" bracket (which I have)

Option 2 - The DMCH Improved Stainless Steel bracket

Option 3 - The Special T Auto Stainless Steel bracket

Option 4 - ????

I was going to just install the original factory T bracket but to me seems a little flimsy. Plus I would like to have the back of the plate supported to avoid bending or curling. Thoughts?

sdg3205
10-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I need to install a front license plate on my DeLorean - state requirement. From what I can figure I have at least three options and just wondering, from experience, which one actually works "best".

Option 1 - Original factory "T" bracket (which I have)

Option 2 - The DMCH Improved Stainless Steel bracket

Option 3 - The Special T Auto Stainless Steel bracket

Option 4 - ????

I was going to just install the original factory T bracket but to me seems a little flimsy. Plus I would like to have the back of the plate supported to avoid bending or curling. Thoughts?

Option 5 - avoid the front plate.

After 8 months I still have yet to have any trouble though I'm required to have it.

OR

drag it on the ground and say it keeps falling off.

DMCMW Dave
10-04-2011, 08:06 PM
The original bracket is fine if you already have holes in the fascia. If you don't it's really a shame to start now.

The aftermarket SS brackets are the same design (no holes, they use the screen bolts) but you'll find that the DMCH version is much heavier stainless sheet and holds the plate more steady, which tends to avoid scratching the fascia.

Overall it depends on your state, some (like mine) tend to look the other way on exotic cars as long as you don't park in Chicago, others (like CA/OH) tend to act like you are a runaway ax-murderer without a front plate.

Delorean Industries
10-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Delorean Performance Industries also offers a version available here in our online store under the original stainless section.

https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/originalstainless/license-plate-bracket-stainless-steel.html

Currently $44.95 and the most rigid on the market.

And yes running in Ohio without a front plate does give you axe murderer status. It is the number one probable cause reason for law enforcement to pull you over here.

Notifier
10-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Option 5 - avoid the front plate.

I did think about that option... I border two states that don't require front plates (DE & PA) and it's not uncommon to see a vehicle without a front plate around here. But then again, I'm not driving a non-descript Toyota Camry either, my DeLorean will get noticed! Plus I do have like 5 cops that live in my neighborhood and although I don't think they will cause trouble, they would notice I wasn't running a front plate. I was actually thinking of not putting one on and just having it in the car and if I did get stopped I would just say "Yea I know, I had to order a custom bracket for it and it hasn't come in yet" and hope I would just get a warning.

Actually I was wondering if anyone had a picture of any of the stainless aftermarket brackets installed?

Notifier
10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Delorean Performance Industries also offers a version available here in our online store under the original stainless section.

Thanks Josh, I'll add it to my list!

Mark D
10-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Front license plates are the devil. I refuse to put one on the D no matter what. I've been driving without one for 3 years with no problem in WI.

I don't have one on my 87 IROC either. About 7 years ago my dad was driving it and got pulled over because a cop tried to laser him to get a speed reading and had nothing to reflect the beam off of. He got a fix-it ticket so I put a front plate on and had it inspected, and afterward took it right back off. No problems since, and there was no fine for the fix it ticket.

mluder
10-05-2011, 12:20 PM
I probably shouldn't point this out, but not only have I driven for 6 months without a front plate, I've also been driving around on Hawaii plates - I don't live in Hawaii but the car used to. Granted the plates haven't expired. I just haven't registerd it yet because it wan't pass emissions.

I even drove for two days with a prop "OUTATIME" plate after a car show.

I have heard from a few sources that police typically let exotics slide but I wouldn't hang my legal defense on it.

Once I get registered, I plan on carrying the plate in the car and if I get stopped and warned, tell the officer that I have ordered a bracket and will fix it as soon as possible.

The alternative in my state is the "classic car" plates though those limit you to driving only for trips to events, etc.

robvanderveer
10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
I know somebody who designed a folding mechanism to hide the front plate from inside of the car. I've got a video of it somewhere but i don't have his permission to post it (him numberplate is clearly readable).

tyb323
10-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I have a prop outatime plate on the front of my car. I live in MD (college), car is registered in Virginia. Haven't had my front plate in MD for the past 4 years, never had any trouble

Dracula
10-06-2011, 01:27 AM
I just recently removed my front plate on the premise that nobody seems to care around here and, with my Cadillac down for a few days to have some well-deserved updates, I decided that I didn't like the look of the DMCH bracketed plate on the front. I'll keep you posted, but I expect no problems.

On an interesting note, I keep a novelty Illinois plate on the front of my Dodge; "BDR 529" and it expired in 1980. Nobody's ever questioned that or even said anything about it and I've only been pulled over once with the car; for possible suspicion of drunk driving due to original, worn steering components.

Notifier
10-06-2011, 04:36 AM
I just recently removed my front plate... I decided that I didn't like the look of the DMCH bracketed plate on the front.

Do you happen to have a picture of the front of your car with the bracket installed? Really curious how that looks.

Dracula
10-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Do you happen to have a picture of the front of your car with the bracket installed? Really curious how that looks.

Notifier
10-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks Chad! Doesn't look too bad, sticks out a little but I think I can live with that.

thirdmanj
10-06-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm in VA, and I'm in the same boat. I've been pulled over twice for not having a front plate. Once in my own fuckin' driveway. I usually give them a sob story about how rare it is, and "my bumper isn't designed for it" "the bumper is expensive piece" "I can't just drill holes in it" that kinda thing. I keep the license plate in my trunk, with registration so I can produce it. I have yet to meet the ass hole cop or trooper to give be a ticket for it considering that its a DeLorean and rare. Most of the time they just want to see the car. I remain courteous and don't get an attitude though, because they're just doing their job and I respect that. I find that they won't pull one over either because 1) they don't see it. 2) they don't care. 3.) it's too inconvenient. On the other hand I keep an eye out for them when they're talking to each other in a parking lot (bored) and if I'm turning at an intersection and they are waiting at a stoplight or in a good position to nab me. If it's too hard to get to me, they just won't do it.

+ it ruins the front aesthetic of the car!! I refuse also. I've made up my mind to go to court over it in the event I ever do get a ticket.

DMCMW Dave
10-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Here's a close-up. No holes involved, looks like the stock position.

The bottom isn't really white, in this photo the protective plastic had not been removed.

thirdmanj
10-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Here's a close-up. No holes involved, looks like the stock position.

The bottom isn't really white, in this photo the protective plastic had not been removed.

Yeah I know... But I still think it's lame.

The "drill holes" and "expensive bumper" bumper bit is for the cops benefit.

Nicholas R
10-10-2011, 04:27 PM
My bumper never had holes drilled. In Ohio we're supposed to have a front license plate. I keep the front license plate in the car in case I get pulled over. If I actually get a ticket for it I may re-think this, but so far every police officer I've met has been to dazzled by the car to care.

Darth
10-25-2011, 12:17 AM
I just got the stupid stainless steel bracket, because the Washington State Patrol are just looking for reasons to pull people over, no matter how insignificant (or manufactured).

thirdmanj
10-25-2011, 09:03 AM
...thats it.

Dracula
10-25-2011, 09:07 AM
I got a speeding ticket the other day; 126 in a 65 zone... and the State Patrol officer saw fit to lecture me on the fact that my car didn't have a front plate. I replied that there was no way that I would be drilling holes in my car to mount the plate and that, due to the grandfather clause, I wasn't modifying a classic collector car by drilling or altering the car to mount a front license plate when one wasn't standard equipment.

Darth
10-25-2011, 10:09 PM
...thats it.

Tell us how you really feel.

DeloreanJoshQ
10-27-2011, 12:53 PM
I am wondering if these will fit the front of our cars...

http://www.jegs.com/p/Altec-Products-Inc/Altec-Product-Show-N-Go-License-Plate-Transports/1338358/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/0/042/042-400u.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/0/042/042-sng2.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/0/042/042-sng3.jpg

DMCMW Dave
10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
I am wondering if these will fit the front of our cars...

Might take some doing as the bottom of the spoiler is not flat like the car shown. You'd have to add some brackets and spacers. If you mount it above the grille (like OEM) you'll have to drill other holes in the fascia, and it's not particularly well-braced there either. Can you "borrow" one from work to try it out?

Dracula
10-27-2011, 09:36 PM
I've devised a better use for my other plate that won't be posted publicly; needless to say, I think it better serves my intent.

ssdelorean
10-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Like Nick, I use to just keep my front plate in the car as a just in case. I got stopped a few times for having a heavy right foot and only once asked about not having a front plate. He was nice about it and only put me in the system as a warning and said if I get stopped again for not having one they would issue me the $117 fine. Here in Ohio there are only two rules for front plate. 1. It has to be visible from the front of the car and 2. affixed so that it does not flap in the wind. So legally you can just put it on your dash and all is well. I did that for a bit but personally thought it was dumb. So I cut and wedged it under the rock screen and attached two small bars (old erector set pieces) from the bottom of the plate to the bottom of the stock air dam. I tell people it actually increases HP by scooping up the air into the radiator and help speed cooling :-)

http://ohiodeloreans.com/images/gallery_images_dt/DMCdt_AirForce1_1600.jpg

DeloreanJoshQ
11-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Might take some doing as the bottom of the spoiler is not flat like the car shown. You'd have to add some brackets and spacers. If you mount it above the grille (like OEM) you'll have to drill other holes in the fascia, and it's not particularly well-braced there either. Can you "borrow" one from work to try it out?

Dave,

I just test-fit one out front during lunch. the bracket sticks out too far...it wouldn't look good in my opinion, plus you would have to put holes under the bumper section....
worth a try anyway...

Delorean Industries
11-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I find it funny that everyone has vanity plates and no one wants to display the other one on the front of the car.

Regardless I"m throwing our front stainless brackets on sale for the next week.

$29.95 regularly 44.95
https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/license-plate-bracket-stainless-steel.html

delornut
11-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Like Nick, I use to just keep my front plate in the car as a just in case. I got stopped a few times for having a heavy right foot and only once asked about not having a front plate. He was nice about it and only put me in the system as a warning and said if I get stopped again for not having one they would issue me the $117 fine. Here in Ohio there are only two rules for front plate. 1. It has to be visible from the front of the car and 2. affixed so that it does not flap in the wind. So legally you can just put it on your dash and all is well. I did that for a bit but personally thought it was dumb. So I cut and wedged it under the rock screen and attached two small bars (old erector set pieces) from the bottom of the plate to the bottom of the stock air dam. I tell people it actually increases HP by scooping up the air into the radiator and help speed cooling :-)

http://ohiodeloreans.com/images/gallery_images_dt/DMCdt_AirForce1_1600.jpg

Minnesota is know ( at least localy ) as the state where everything is against the law. One exception is cars with collector or classic plates don't need a front plate. In fact if you can find a plate for the year of manufactuer for your car you can have it registered for your car. On the other side of the coin, I had my Crossfire parked in downtown Minneapolis on a Sunday morning. The street signs said meters not inforced on Sundays. When I returned to the car I had a ticket for $130 because I had a plastic cover on the front plate and the rear bracket covered part of the annual tabs at the bottom of the plate. City and state deficits have fallen on the backs of meter maids and the highway patrol and I'd guess that's true in every state so be careful.

Bruce Benson

thegreatscott
06-16-2012, 01:52 AM
do you want some license plate bracket (http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/License_Plate_Bracket) i know some that are cheap, i can give you good suggestion just pm me.

thirdmanj
07-15-2012, 09:22 PM
So if happened. On my way to a car show (for a CHKD charity I might add) I was pulled over by Hirohito and his pal Adolf of the VA State Troopers. For..... *ding ding ding ding* you guessed it! NO FRONT PLATE! Tried to explain but, but it was no joy on all scenarios for these pricks. Got myself a ticket for 30 bucks, but the bitch of it is the court fees are 66 bucks, and it doesn't matter if you prepay or go to court, you still have to pay the fees. Bummer... Oh well. Whatcha gonna do?

So I've decided I'm gonna go to court and hope for a reasonable judge, but just incase that doesn't work, I'm planning on installing a hybrid of both the "hide-a-plate" and the SS bracket from DPI that requires no drilling. I'll be buggerd if I'm gonna drill into that fucking fascia. No way man. Hopefully my idea will pan out. I'll post pics when I'm done!

Mark D
07-16-2012, 12:06 AM
I've been pulled over before for no front plate. Just pay the fee and go on with your life. If it's the law in your state to have one then no judge is going to give you a pass simply because it's a cool old car.

I still don't have a plate on my car either. F that noise. I'll pay a 50 bucks here and there if I have to if it means not having an ugly plate on the front of my car.

If they make you show proof that you've installed one there are brackets available that mount to the lower fascia/rock screen supports. You can just take it right back off though afterwards.

nkemp
08-16-2013, 10:07 PM
I know it has been a while for this thread ...

Checkout the retractable license plate on the Tesla (plus it is available for other cars as well). It retracts/deploys the plate like a car dvd player retracts and deploys the larger screen. "But officer, I do have a front plate!"

Tastefully installing it on the D is another matter.

SS Spoiler
08-16-2013, 10:52 PM
My plan is to mount the license plate on a pivot below the bumper so it swivels horizontally not blocking airflow to the radiator. At speed wind will push it flat and by the time you get pulled over it will innocently swing down and the cop will say "huh I thought you didn't have a front plate, have a nice day"

Paul Cerny #2691

MikeWard
08-17-2013, 12:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4MUjSlbYY

Utah DeLorean
08-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Front license plates are the devil. I refuse to put one on the D no matter what. I've been driving without one for 3 years with no problem in WI.

I don't have one on my 87 IROC either. About 7 years ago my dad was driving it and got pulled over because a cop tried to laser him to get a speed reading and had nothing to reflect the beam off of. He got a fix-it ticket so I put a front plate on and had it inspected, and afterward took it right back off. No problems since, and there was no fine for the fix it ticket.

I don't think that my car has ever had the front plate on it... I can say that in the 10+ years that I have had mine I haven't had a front plate on it.
If I was to get a fix it ticket this is probably what I would do. Put on the plate for 30 min and take it back off when I get home.

Some cars look okay with the plant up in front, but the DeLorean and other cars like it just was not designed to have the plate out front like that!

Starglider
08-17-2013, 06:54 PM
I've gone with the retractable plate option, but I'm going to try and mount it in the radiator inlet to come up above the front bumper (via a slot added to the rock screen). I'd be concerned about ground clearance, rock damage and dirt jamming it up if it was mounted under the front splitter.

beernpizzalover
08-17-2013, 07:14 PM
I just got the stupid stainless steel bracket, because the Washington State Patrol are just looking for reasons to pull people over, no matter how insignificant (or manufactured).

You got that right!

dmruschell
11-26-2013, 12:42 AM
I installed the DPI bracket out our two DeLoreans. They leave a space between the bumper and the plate so that the plate never scratches the fascia. A friend of mine with another bracket (Grady's I think) wasn't so fortunate. His plate is pressed right up against the fascia and has worn down the paint. Now, he can't remove his plate without exposing a poor liking fascia.

Long story short, JmDPI 's bracket is batting 2 for 2 so far for me.

Mark413
08-30-2018, 07:21 PM
The Special T Auto Stainless Steel bracket, is it the same exact one that delorean company sells? Does anyone have a pic of special T’s license plate holder