PDA

View Full Version : 1264 goes EFI

D001264
11-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Long time Delorean owner but new to the group. WOW great to see all the work that has been done with EFI and MS, time to make the jump and end the K-jet mystery.

I showed up just in time to to give a new home to Powerline84’s setup. Looks like he did a great job selecting components and setting up his system and has been fantastic to work with during the transaction!

OK, I’m off to the bench to sort through the components and harness, wish me luck.

Thanks again to those that have paved the path for EFI conversions!

PS - Looking forward to the Ecoboost swap updates.

Josh
11-03-2020, 03:22 PM
Sounds like the kit is in the right hands. Jimmy seemed very happy to have set you up with it.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

D001264
11-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Thanks Josh, that makes two of us that are pleased with where the EFI setup ended up!

I have been following your work with LS Swaps, very cool and next level. Not sure I am up to that kind of project just yet, but very informative to follow.

DavidProehl
11-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Congrats on starting your conversion! I see you are in Prior Lake, if you aren't already, be sure to join the MN DMC Facebook group to get updates on what MN owners are doing and when they are getting together!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeloreansOfMinnesotaClub

D001264
11-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Thanks David!

Nick was also kind enough to point to some of the local clubs. Looking forward to meeting other owners.

D001264
11-03-2020, 08:44 PM

75 degree afternoon in MN today. Quick flight to enjoy it, then back to cleaning up the VOD tomorrow.

powerline84
11-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Yes I think my parts went to the right guy! I think you will be very happy with it. Ill be here plus Plenty of other willing helpers on here as well! Everytime a kjet system gets taken off a cloud opens up in the sky and a ray of sunshine shines through lol.

D001264
11-04-2020, 05:38 PM
Cleaned up the Valley of Death and treated with Ardrox AV8.

powerline84
11-04-2020, 10:21 PM
Aviation meets Delorean lol

D001264
11-06-2020, 10:18 PM
Spent the afternoon replacing coolant, heater hoses and heater control valve. Valley of death all cleaned up and going together.
Installed fuel rails and injectors, I really like the fuel rails setup.

Removed tons of K-jet wiring, not going to miss that harness.

Delorean Industries
11-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Install driver side rail, intake manifold loose, passenger side rail, injector harness/orientate injectors, torque manifold, tighten rail securing brackets and lock nuts. Manifold will not fit on last.

FABombjoy
11-07-2020, 01:15 PM
If you're open to whittling: Grinding the edges of the manifold a bit by the intake ports allows you to Tetris the manifold into position with the rails secured. Clean down the O-ring witness marks on the intake and make a fresh set of marks so you don't grind too much.

The distributor cap is usually a major hang-up point and this capless setup should require a little less clearancing.

If you take the time to do it right, you can join the carb guys during a hearty laugh session about ease of valley access compared to K-jetters.

powerline84
11-07-2020, 06:11 PM
Yeah I messaged him offline. He's got it. Doing well

powerline84
11-07-2020, 06:12 PM
I never bothered to clearance the intake. That's a good tech tip. Because of the danner sensor cables clearance on the distributor is still tight .

D001264
11-07-2020, 06:16 PM
Just a quick word to say thanks to all those that are happy to share their knowledge, I really appreciate it!

I wonder in Jimmy already did some whittling on the manifold, I gave it a try with the rails on and it dropped right in. I’m sure having a chunk of the distributer missing is also helpful. Speaking of the distributor, if my engine is at TDC, where do I line up the 36-1 wheel?
From what I am reading looks like it should be 90 degrees engine rotation prior to the missing tooth. Since this is cam driven, need to cut that in half so 45 degrees. Thinking 4.5 teeth. But open to what others have done.

Off topic, picked up a 91 EP 3.0 today, some one on this forum inferred everyone should have one. So trying to fit in, i rescued one that has been waiting 13 years to live the dream of living in a Delorean instead of an EP.

2 hour drive and a couple of hours to disassemble.

D001264
11-07-2020, 06:29 PM
So lost a part of my last post when site logs me off. Any suggestions for keeping a session alive longer, using an IPad?

D001264
11-07-2020, 06:36 PM
So a couple of hours to disassemble. Block, pistons, liners and heads all look great. Camshafts are toast.

Want to rebuild this and be ready for a visit from the block rot fairy... Any suggestions on where to purchase rebuild parts, and any suggestions on what others have done to prepare it for the Delorean life.

Also funny thing, all the exhaust gaskets where installed backwards blocking about 1/3 of the exhaust port. Must have been a bit of a slug at higher rpms.

powerline84
11-07-2020, 07:29 PM

"Please excuse the crudity of this model as I didn't have time to build it to scale or paint it" -Doc Brown

D001264
11-19-2020, 04:46 PM
Repeat after me:
It’s going to be OK.
It’s going to be OK.
It’s going to be OK.

D001264
11-22-2020, 05:37 PM
Sharing a quick update.
Dist and coils mounted
Fuel injectors, rails, fuel lines, and regulator installed
Manifold installed and throttle cable relocated
Bulkhead connector installed
Mega squirt wiring complete with relay panel

Starting to feel like i have passed the 50% mark.

powerline84
11-22-2020, 05:46 PM
Looking good !

ZLoftsgard
11-22-2020, 09:25 PM
Looking like a long journey but will sure pay off when complete!

DavidProehl
11-22-2020, 10:57 PM
You've made some impressive progress! Great job cleaning things up! What a big project, but it seems to be coming along very nicely. Looks like you are well on your way to having your wiring properly organized as well!

D001264
11-27-2020, 08:27 PM
Spent a couple of hours working on the EFI install today.
Continued endless wiring cleanup. Installed battery and fired up Tuner Studio, now able to run F.P. with the computer. Drained fuel tank, replaced fuel filter and finished all fuel lines and leak checked. Nice to have the fuel delivery and return completed.

Used Tuner Studio to test each coil and connect spark plug wires, nice hot spark at 0 RPM😃. Also tested each injector, all six can be pulsed individually. Next step, base timing, unfortunately my Amazon order for a timing light has been delayed.

Maybe it will fire up this week, or at least I will know what to troubleshoot next.

powerline84
11-27-2020, 10:13 PM
The ability to fire individual injectors , coils , test fuel pressure..turn the entire fuel system off with click of a button. All those little tricks is what makes efi so awesome.

D001264
12-13-2020, 08:14 PM
Been working through some issues with the optical pickup for the Megasquirt Tach in Signal, I found that the Banner optical module will not operate below 10 volts. The electrical bus was dropping down to 9.6 volts when cranking, this would shutdown the optical sensor.

So new battery and extended battery posts that allow for a terminal mounted direct from battery to EFI relay and I have about 11 volts when cranking. Still have some cleanup but it starts easily now and idles fantastic.

Thanks again to Jimmy for his help when I had questions!

Now to set up the time machine and leave 2020 for ever....65164

powerline84
12-13-2020, 08:29 PM
Great news ! Another EFI Delorean!

Josh
12-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Been working through some issues with the optical pickup for the Megasquirt Tach in Signal, I found that the Banner optical module will not operate below 10 volts. The electrical bus was dropping down to 9.6 volts when cranking, this would shutdown the optical sensor.

So new battery and extended battery posts that allow for a terminal mounted direct from battery to EFI relay and I have about 11 volts when cranking. Still have some cleanup but it starts easily now and idles fantastic.

Thanks again to Jimmy for his help when I had questions!

Now to set up the time machine and leave 2020 for ever....65164

You make it sound easy, but this kind of stuff is very hard to diagnose. Great work. Nice to see Jimmy's setup live on in very capable hands.

D001264
12-18-2020, 03:10 PM
Yes Josh,

Good times tracking this down with the Delorean's decrepit wiring harness, but heh good reason to pick up a USB Oscilloscope. Made tracking the voltage losses through the harness a little less painful during the cranking events.

Next up I plan on tackling the relay panel with something a little more modern and less corroded. The adventure continuous...

D001264
12-18-2020, 03:21 PM
When I tackle the relay deck, giving some consideration to controlling the cooling fans from the Megasquirt ECU. This would make it pretty simple to stage the turn on, as an example turn 1 fan on at 190 degrees and the second fan at 200 degrees. Both fans on with the AC active. Guessing someone else on this forum has been down this road, open for any thoughts.

Josh
12-18-2020, 04:00 PM
When I tackle the relay deck, giving some consideration to controlling the cooling fans from the Megasquirt ECU. This would make it pretty simple to stage the turn on, as an example turn 1 fan on at 190 degrees and the second fan at 200 degrees. Both fans on with the AC active. Guessing someone else on this forum has been down this road, open for any thoughts.

I have done this with a few MS installs, and all of my LS installs. Works great. Just switch the low side of the cooling fan relay via one of the outputs on the MS. Assign a programmable output with a hysteresis of 10deg so it does not flutter the relay. I also like to give a condition of RPM so the fans do not turn on when the engine is off.
I found some outputs on the MS claim they support high or low switching but can be problematic when using high. So imo it is best practice to implement low (ground) switching for all of the MS outputs.

Also, in reply to your comment about cleaning up the fuse/relay compartment this is what I did. I have about twice the fuses and relays as stock but in the same space and much neater. It was not an easy or inexpensive project though. It uses the Littlefuse POWR BLOK system. https://www.littelfuse.com/industries/commercial-vehicle/dc-power-distribution-modules/powr-blok-modular-power-distribution.aspx

https://i.imgur.com/fRa2lg0l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9NCO5tfl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/psLOy6sl.jpg

Bitsyncmaster
12-18-2020, 05:10 PM
It's always better to switch the ground side using a transistor or MOSFET. You only need to drive the base or gate with 1 volt above ground on a transistor or 5 volts above ground on an MOSFET. When driving the high side you need those values above the car voltage. My relays have a 24 volt supply for driving my MOSFETs. The hot start and idle ECU don't need that supply because they drive the ground side.

D001264
12-18-2020, 07:02 PM
Josh- Wow that looks great, it's a bummer for all of us that you did not work at DMC... We would all have much better cars!

Dave - As always I appreciate your thoughts and the items you have designed to keep us on the road. I just need to kick up my electronic engineering a few steps to follow along. I will say the lack of knowledge is not all my fault, my electronic training was provided by the U.S. Army, it did come with a couple of pairs of boots and free daily workouts :hmm:

Been playing with Tuner Studio, amazing how nice the engine idles at 850 RPM with timing set at 4 degrees BTDC. Pretty cool the things you can do with the timing map that are just impossible with a mechanical advance.

FABombjoy
12-18-2020, 09:08 PM
Been playing with Tuner Studio, amazing how nice the engine idles at 850 RPM with timing set at 4 degrees BTDC. Pretty cool the things you can do with the timing map that are just impossible with a mechanical advance.
4deg sounds really late. I'd expect that it would be lumpy - does the timing light agree w/ the software?

I only ask because I found a much more stable idle at 19deg timing. MAP dropped a few kPa compared with 13. Stock cams.

D001264
12-18-2020, 09:48 PM
4deg sounds really late. I'd expect that it would be lumpy - does the timing light agree w/ the software?

I only ask because I found a much more stable idle at 19deg timing. MAP dropped a few kPa compared with 13. Stock cams.

I was pulling about 31 KPa with stock cams and just playing with the timing. The tune I started with had about 18 degrees at idle, but I found that the smoothness continued to improve down to 4 degrees. The nice thing with electronic control is that I can bring the timing back instantaneously when I come off of idle. The 850 rpm was with the fans running and timing verified with timing light.

Still much to learn, but enjoying the journey.

powerline84
12-18-2020, 10:37 PM
Yeah I was running 18 or 19 and it was super smooth with my cams. Kinda like luke

powerline84
06-11-2021, 11:01 AM
Any updates? How's this project coming