PDA

View Full Version : Chassis 3D model in PDF

Rhye
12-09-2020, 08:20 AM
I decided to share my 3D model of the chassis exported to 3D PDF - thought that somebody may find it useful. Based on countless sessions of manual measurements of a real thing, but I don't guarantee it's 100% accurate (some areas are not fully verified yet, especially the front end). Some day I'm going to make a reproduction for myself based on this, so I'd appreciate pointing out any design errors.

Mark D
12-09-2020, 10:56 AM
I downloaded the PDF but it's coming up blank. Not sure if that's an issue on my end or with the file itself. Do you have it saved in any other format like STP or IGS?

I know how much time and effort goes into measuring and modeling, so thanks for sharing your work so freely with the community.

orangecrrrush
12-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Same... it comes up blank

Rhye
12-09-2020, 01:23 PM
Same... it comes up blank

You may have to click the blank page to display the model. Works with Acrobat Reader X and XI (just checked) - not sure about other versions.

Jason
12-09-2020, 01:42 PM
I downloaded the PDF but it's coming up blank. Not sure if that's an issue on my end or with the file itself. Do you have it saved in any other format like STP or IGS?

I know how much time and effort goes into measuring and modeling, so thanks for sharing your work so freely with the community.

I second this. If you would be willing to share a version in step or iges or some other editable solid model format it would be greatly appreciated.

Timeless
12-09-2020, 01:47 PM
You may have to click the blank page to display the model. Works with Acrobat Reader X and XI (just checked) - not sure about other versions.
That worked for me.

Ashyukun
12-09-2020, 02:03 PM
I decided to share my 3D model of the chassis exported to 3D PDF - thought that somebody may find it useful. Based on countless sessions of manual measurements of a real thing, but I don't guarantee it's 100% accurate (some areas are not fully verified yet, especially the front end). Some day I'm going to make a reproduction for myself based on this, so I'd appreciate pointing out any design errors.

This is awesome! It's exactly what I was looking for- I can only imagine how much time it took to make this. It did take throwing fit over to my work computer that has a full version of Adobe to be able to view it though- any chance of getting a step file export of it that can be pulled into actual CAD programs to interrogate? It will be a little while (like, months at best) but once I have the body pulled from mine to do all the rust repair I'll do checks on my frame as well to add to the pool of measurements if it would help.

Rhye
12-09-2020, 02:31 PM
any chance of getting a step file export of it that can be pulled into actual CAD programs to interrogate?

I know there are probably many people who would want a fully editable assembly, but I don't yet feel ready to just give it away. ;) On the other hand, I don't think I'd ever turn it into any business (too many other activities), so I'll think about it...

There's a quite nice measurement feature in AReader XI so you can check all the dimensions you want. But as I said, my model may not be 100% correct.

Ashyukun
12-09-2020, 03:35 PM
I know there are probably many people who would want a fully editable assembly, but I don't yet feel ready to just give it away. ;) On the other hand, I don't think I'd ever turn it into any business (too many other activities), so I'll think about it...

There's a quite nice measurement feature in AReader XI so you can check all the dimensions you want. But as I said, my model may not be 100% correct.

OK, XI is a lot better, and I can actually use it on my Mac to boot (though going from Catia's navigation to XI's is a bit of a disconnect, but that happens between Catia & Patran as well...). The more I look at the model the more impressed I am- being able to hide the different panels is something I didn't expect Adobe to be able to do.

Mark D
12-09-2020, 03:48 PM
That worked for me.

I was able to get it working also. Just had to adjust some security settings to allow 3D viewing and then I could click to open the file.

Really impressive modeling work.

Mark D
12-09-2020, 04:07 PM
OK, XI is a lot better, and I can actually use it on my Mac to boot (though going from Catia's navigation to XI's is a bit of a disconnect, but that happens between Catia & Patran as well...). The more I look at the model the more impressed I am- being able to hide the different panels is something I didn't expect Adobe to be able to do.

I'm running Catia V5 R21 so it's cool to see someone else using Catia. The mouse navigation is unique and definitely takes some getting used to. If you've got a three button CAD mouse it's great.

I've modeled the front and rear hubs/bearings/studs and brakes rotors for another project I was working on. Nothing really complicated but I'd share the files if anyone wants them. No brake calipers or suspension components unfortunately.

It would be cool to build a full rolling chassis in 3D. I'm sure it's been done a few times already considering the stainless frames and custom suspension parts that are available. I've seen a few other screen grabs from engine swaps and it looks like there have been a few people who've done the rear engine cradle and the fiberglass pontoon. If I were ever to attempt an engine swap that is probably where I'd start.

Josh
12-10-2020, 02:17 AM
Wow, this is a very nice model.
I have made one myself but it looks like a children's drawing compared to this.

You must have many many hours of work into this.

Ashyukun
12-10-2020, 10:27 AM
I'm running Catia V5 R21 so it's cool to see someone else using Catia. The mouse navigation is unique and definitely takes some getting used to. If you've got a three button CAD mouse it's great.

I've modeled the front and rear hubs/bearings/studs and brakes rotors for another project I was working on. Nothing really complicated but I'd share the files if anyone wants them. No brake calipers or suspension components unfortunately.

It would be cool to build a full rolling chassis in 3D. I'm sure it's been done a few times already considering the stainless frames and custom suspension parts that are available. I've seen a few other screen grabs from engine swaps and it looks like there have been a few people who've done the rear engine cradle and the fiberglass pontoon. If I were ever to attempt an engine swap that is probably where I'd start.

My work uses V5 R26 for modeling- I'm an analyst so I don't do nearly as much with it as our designers do (I can't draw stuff up in it from scratch worth half a cent) but am very good at manipulating and interrogating models since I need to get dimensions, section cuts, etc. for analysis reports. I've just got a standard 3-button mouse but it works well enough. One of the older engineers I work with has never bothered learning the mouse (or keyboard) shortcuts so has to click to change between pan/zoom/rotate- unsurprisingly he's always more than happy when I will take over graphics generation for reports we work on.

I'm going to be stripping my car down to very close to the bare frame if not beyond (epoxy too) due to some bad rust issues on the front end which are likely going to require rebuilding the frame partially- and since I'm going to have it down so far anyway, am planning on doing an engine swap as well- so I'll likely be playing with the frame in the front and the back (especially since DMC is showing the front frame extensions as out of stock, which are a part I would definitely need). If I get really nuts? Looking at the frame with the eye of a stress analyst there looks to be a modest bit of inefficiency in it, at least from a modern standpoint- so redesigning and building an updated, more weight-efficient frame would be an interesting challenge.

mr_maxime
12-10-2020, 07:39 PM
I reread our company manual and asked for more clarification, but it looks like i might be able to start sharing scans/models i make using company assets. I got my frame stripped down and a 3d scanner. If you send me the .stp Ill be able to compare the scan vs your model.

ive models for the grille and washer bottle. ive got scans of the Lca and engine cover but no model yet.

Rhye
12-11-2020, 06:47 AM
If you send me the .stp Ill be able to compare the scan vs your model.

I think it would be more practical if you send me a points cloud so I could make corrections to my parametric model relatively quickly - we'd have a 100% valid 3D chassis then.

Sulley
11-12-2022, 11:24 AM
Comes up blank when I open it.

pk2678
11-13-2022, 01:47 AM
When Adobe Reader asks you, if you trust the document, then confirm that you trust the document.
Then click on the blank page to enable the 3D-content.

To always enable 3D-content activate Edit -> Preferences -> Multimedia & 3D -> Enable playing of Multimedia and 3D content

Sulley
11-13-2022, 05:43 PM
I don't get that message. Adobe opens the file and it is a blank document.

Ron
11-13-2022, 07:27 PM
When Adobe Reader asks you, if you trust the document, then confirm that you trust the document.
Then click on the blank page to enable the 3D-content.

To always enable 3D-content activate Edit -> Preferences -> Multimedia & 3D -> Enable playing of Multimedia and 3D contentSame for Acrobat X pro.

pk2678
11-14-2022, 01:57 AM
Here is the description from Adobe, how to open 3D-PDF:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/enable-3d-content-pdf.html

And here is a video (no sound. Watch the comments in the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7VBUYwJn8

Sulley
11-14-2022, 08:58 AM
I'm a mac user maybe that is the reason it won't open. Maybe I need a different adobe reader. I don't have any issue with any pdf's so not sure the difference with this file. Thanks anyway.

Alexander
07-22-2023, 06:29 AM
this is great work! I am in the process of converting my Delorean to Electric, and having the chassis in CAD-3D would be an enormous help in test fitting the various electric motor and battery options. I could read the 3D PDF file in Acrobat reader, but I would need to have it in a CAD format. Anyone knows how to convert it back?
Thanks
Alexander