PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed Manual transmission end cap seal

dmcman73
04-18-2021, 06:43 AM
Hi All,

I just finished refurbishing the end cap on my manual transmission, I had to replace the rubber bellows on the shift mechanism as it rotted away. I have a new paper gasket for it and I am ready to install it back on the car. Should I pre-treat the paper gasket with a sealer or just put it on and torque it down and it should be good to go?

painterdave72
04-18-2021, 07:53 AM
I did mine a few years ago and put a little sealent on it cause i figure its usually needed with a paper gasket..

dmcman73
04-18-2021, 11:42 AM
I did mine a few years ago and put a little sealent on it cause i figure its usually needed with a paper gasket..

I usually use Tack gasket on all cut gaskets, I just wasn't sure if there was a "don't use anything but the paper gasket" scenario on the Transmission.

Bitsyncmaster
04-18-2021, 01:59 PM
I usually use Tack gasket on all cut gaskets, I just wasn't sure if there was a "don't use anything but the paper gasket" scenario on the Transmission.

The paper gaskets require perfect mating surfaces. If it's not a critical dimension, I cut thicker gaskets. For the W pipe I did that and used a sealer on one side but left the other side dry so the pipe can be removed.

Delorean Industries
04-18-2021, 07:33 PM
Hylomar on both sides of the gasket.

dmcman73
04-18-2021, 08:25 PM
Hylomar on both sides of the gasket.

I think I used that on it 12 years ago, there was some remnants of some blue thin sealant on the old paper gasket which I believe was the Hylomar sealant.

Thanks for the reminder!!! :)