PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Preventative Maintenance

JRNY13
08-08-2021, 01:10 PM
Hello all, I've owned my D for 8 years. I've never replaced my fuel filter, fuel accumulator or fuel pump. The car runs perfectly. My mechanic recommend replacing all 3 next spring. Do you consider this good advice?

82DMC12
08-08-2021, 01:12 PM
Do you do any of your own work? How do you know everything in the fuel pump area/tank is in good shape? How old is it? What about the pickup tube? Ethanol is eating this stuff up.

Accumulator no reason to replace unless you have hot start problems. But the flex lines should be replaced if original 40 years old.

For that matter, all the flexible fuel lines, 13 of them, should be replaced asap of they are original. Change the fuel filter when you change the lines.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

JRNY13
08-08-2021, 01:29 PM
I do not do my own work; all I know is that the parts in question are 8+ years old.

David T
08-08-2021, 01:38 PM
Even though those parts have been in the car for a long time, if you don't have much mileage on them I say they can probably go to 10 years. As far as P/M, check the date codes on the tires. If over 7 years old they should be replaced. Replace the battery after 5 and the wiper blades. Brake and clutch fluid every other year, coolant tested annually and replaced every 5. Change the oil and filter every other year. A tune-up every 10. Grease and lubricate every year. Remember the angle drive is part of that lubrication. Inspect the undercarriage every year including bushings, TAB's, C/V boots, dust seals, rack boots, leaks, fluid levels, rust, etc. Fix things when they break or stop working. Keep the car clean and use it at least once-in-a-while.

MrChocky
08-09-2021, 08:58 AM
Even though those parts have been in the car for a long time, if you don't have much mileage on them I say they can probably go to 10 years. As far as P/M, check the date codes on the tires. If over 7 years old they should be replaced. Replace the battery after 5 and the wiper blades. Brake and clutch fluid every other year, coolant tested annually and replaced every 5. Change the oil and filter every other year. A tune-up every 10. Grease and lubricate every year. Remember the angle drive is part of that lubrication. Inspect the undercarriage every year including bushings, TAB's, C/V boots, dust seals, rack boots, leaks, fluid levels, rust, etc. Fix things when they break or stop working. Keep the car clean and use it at least once-in-a-while.

Congratulations on your lecture which didn't answer a single thing the OP asked.

Hello all, I've owned my D for 8 years. I've never replaced my fuel filter, fuel accumulator or fuel pump. The car runs perfectly. My mechanic recommend replacing all 3 next spring. Do you consider this good advice?

Your mechanic sounds like he's giving generic advice, which might be accurate for daily driven cars but might not be as relevant here. Let me see what I can do there.

For the fuel pump, if it's continuing to operate, there's no rush to replace it. *but* it's worth pulling out once in a while to check the rubber boot is in order, and there's no accumulated scum, etc. Certainly you want to replace its 2 original fuel lines, which are now
40 years ago.

As for the accumulator, as mentioned above, but again the 2 lines here may be original.

General advice on fuel filter is every 2 years, which is probably fair. You can probably easily do this yourself.

David T
08-09-2021, 11:53 AM
Reread my post, the very first sentence. It directly answers the OP's question. I went on and told the OP what he should be replacing. Doesn't matter if he does it himself or has someone do it, those items should be done. If you belong to a local Delorean club, some do Tech inspections for members.

MrChocky
08-09-2021, 11:57 AM
Reread my post, the very first sentence. It directly answers the OP's question. I went on and told the OP what he should be replacing. Doesn't matter if he does it himself or has someone do it, those items should be done. If you belong to a local Delorean club, some do Tech inspections for members.

David, are you replying to me? I can't tell, since you rarely bother to quote

What you experts continue to forget is that noobs (and there's very few here) need very explicit and exacting advice. Certainly my reply wasn't that, but your was a far way from that; just a broad statement about what to do. As a recent and former noob myself, and now trying to give advice to a number of noobs, I can confidently say that vague and sweeping statements induce anxiety only.

JRNY13
08-09-2021, 01:46 PM
I appreciate all the advice given regarding all the parts of the car mentioned in this thread.

82DMC12
08-09-2021, 01:50 PM
I appreciate all the advice given regarding all the parts of the car mentioned in this thread.I said there are 13 fuel lines and that's correct between the fuel filter and the hard return line, but there are actually a total of 17 lines including the two at the fuel pump and the two at the accumulator. All should be changed if original even if showing no symptoms.

Then there's also the pickup tube in the fuel tank....

MrChocky
08-11-2021, 09:06 AM
I said there are 13 fuel lines and that's correct between the fuel filter and the hard return line, but there are actually a total of 17 lines including the two at the fuel pump and the two at the accumulator. All should be changed if original even if showing no symptoms.

Then there's also the pickup tube in the fuel tank....

Indeed! This was a source of confusion for me for a long time. Actually, I count 21 if you want to include the hard lines too (22 with the pickup). Here they are:

102318 Injector Line #1
102323 Injector Line #2
102327 Injector Line #3
102331 Injector Line #4
102335 Injector Line #5
102339 Injector Line #6
102348 Control Pressure Line
102357 Primary Pressure Line
102370 Cold Start Injector Line
102400 Longer Frequency Valve Line
102395 Shorter Frequency Valve Line
102365 Supply Line
102359 Return Line
106979 Fuel pump feed/return/accumulator (x3)
106997 Accumulator
106983 Fuel feed front
106998 Fuel return front
106989 Fuel feed rear
106995 Fuel return rear
106287 Fuel pickup

The 4 hard lines don't normally have to be replaced. I don't know when you'd replace the pickup, perhaps if you replace the pump.

Ron
08-11-2021, 09:52 AM
I don't know when you'd replace the pickup, perhaps if you replace the pump.
FWIW, I've seen and heard about a lot of them getting soft and mushy. A pain to get off your hands. ...I guess it depends on whether they've seen a lot of ethanol or not...and/or how long they may have sat soaking.

MrChocky
08-11-2021, 10:02 AM
FWIW, I've seen and heard about a lot of them getting soft and mushy. A pain to get off your hands. ...I guess it depends on whether they've seen a lot of ethanol or not...and/or how long they may have sat soaking.

Right. I pulled out the what I think is the original fuel pump, boot, pickup earlier in the year when I replaced the 2 pump lines. Everything was crusty, and I cleaned it off, but everything seems in order. But the boot is worth examining once in a while,
as is the fit with the sender - I have a new gasket for that, but have yet to fit.

On the project car, the PO fitted a new combined pump and sender. *but* hooked up the new lines (and a valve) directly to the old and failing pump lines. I did buy the 2 lines from DGo, but I think I can simply hook up one of the new fuel pump
lines to the ram's horn and remove the old line. I will probably have to use one new line (or at least cut it down) to retain the valve inline.