PDA

View Full Version : Antique or normal plates

Mike Z
07-13-2022, 12:25 AM
Can any fellow VA owners let me know what they recommend, antique or normal plates?

Just curious which you feel is better.

mhanch
07-13-2022, 10:40 AM
At least for Washington State "Collector Vehicle" plates means we don't pay yearly tabs - but are supposed to limit miles (not an issue for me).

We also have the Option for a true "Vintage Plate", which means you find a period-correct old license plate and you can register and use that plate as your "Collector Vehicle" plate. that's much cooler and what i did. I even found a Vintage collectors plate (with 80's Billy Crystal reference) and 1988 tabs. it's awesome.

MrChocky
07-13-2022, 11:19 AM
In PA if you have a classic or antique plate, then you are limited to 4 or 5 letter/number combination. I didn't want to do that. Fortunately, although all cars
here I think need yearly inspection, I'm still emissions exempt and no front plate required.

Riley88
07-13-2022, 11:41 AM
Holy hell a new D owner in Virginia Beach? dude we gotto meet pm me. Also antique is the way to go! That i know of theres me and 2 other owners here. We do lunches, although one sold his car but has another in the works.

Helirich
07-13-2022, 01:34 PM
In Florida, it’s slightly less expensive. But I think it really comes down to if you like the plate. I have the antique plate that is all purple. I’m not really happy with it. I think the next time it comes up, I will go with the palm trees and sunshine.

CFI
07-13-2022, 04:08 PM
Can any fellow VA owners let me know what they recommend, antique or normal plates?

Just curious which you feel is better.

Hello fellow VB owner! I’ve done it both ways:

Regular plates will require yearly State inspections for safety related items. The car is treated as a “normal” car. I chose this route for my daily driver DeLorean.

Antique plates will not require any State inspections, but you must self-certify that the car is kept in legal compliance with applicable laws for vehicle safety. There are also limits on how often and how far you can drive a car with antique plates. Details are on the DMV website. I chose this route for my seldom- driven Lotus.

Mike Z
07-13-2022, 06:59 PM
Hello fellow VB owner! I’ve done it both ways:

Regular plates will require yearly State inspections for safety related items. The car is treated as a “normal” car. I chose this route for my daily driver DeLorean.

Antique plates will not require any State inspections, but you must self-certify that the car is kept in legal compliance with applicable laws for vehicle safety. There are also limits on how often and how far you can drive a car with antique plates. Details are on the DMV website. I chose this route for my seldom- driven Lotus.

Do you have to pay the personal property tax on your DeLorean?

And hello! I've been wanting to get one realistically since 2010 so it's been a long wait but I'm pumped. It's at DMC Florida getting any kinks out.

CFI
07-14-2022, 08:02 PM
Do you have to pay the personal property tax on your DeLorean?

And hello! I've been wanting to get one realistically since 2010 so it's been a long wait but I'm pumped. It's at DMC Florida getting any kinks out.

I’m pretty sure I pay property taxes on all of my cars, but I don’t remember off the top of my head. I travel a lot so my wife usually makes sure the bills get paid. I don’t think the DMV places a high value on the DeLorean anyway.

Riley88
07-15-2022, 12:43 AM
Cars registered as antiques in VA do NOT pay personal property tax. If they do end up sending you a personal property tax bill call them. This has been a law since 2006

CFI
07-15-2022, 10:33 PM
Cars registered as antiques in VA do NOT pay personal property tax. If they do end up sending you a personal property tax bill call them. This has been a law since 2006

Thanks. I couldn’t remember if I had to pay for my Lotus or not.

Riley88
07-17-2022, 08:48 PM
Thanks. I couldn’t remember if I had to pay for my Lotus or not.

If the vehicle is classified as an antique or vintage and has permanent license plates issued as specified in Virginia State Code Section 46.2-730, then the vehicle is not subject to taxation. IE personal property tax. If you get a bill, I did at one point. I just called the city city, they said oh thats a mistake and fixed it.