PDA

View Full Version : Identification Wiring locations please

er1c
07-23-2023, 11:40 AM
Hi,

Putting her back together and a few oddities if folk can comment on 1, 2,3, 4, it would be a great help. My original before pictures are blurry on these ones, I need to use MACRO mode a lot more.

1. These 3 connectors (all the same)

I originally paired the two on the left but the blue/black one I cant find a home for ?

2. These 2 connectors are by the AC Compressor ? any ideas ?

3. This old favourite by the W pipe on the right side just above the throttle linkage. I recognise it and have paired a black pair of terminals (on one side) Am I missing a wire.

4. Ballast resistor, should the lower left connector on the bulkhead be empty ?

Thanks in advance all.

AugustneverEnds
07-23-2023, 01:46 PM
It helps to know if your car is an automatic or manual, there are slight differences between the two.

The wires in the first pic are left unconnected, that terminal is for connecting a lead for testing.

The second pair look like the wires for the otterstat (the sensor that should be facing down in the coolant pipe on the left hand side). If your cooling fans are not switching on that is why.

The third connector is for full throttle kickdown, when the accelerator is fully depressed the throttle spool pushes a flap to push a button telling the car to fully enrich the fuel mixture and shift the transmission down a gear. If that connector is left disconnected it really doesn't affect normal driving. I'm guessing your car is an automatic.

Rich
07-23-2023, 02:02 PM
Photo 2
Agreeing with Nick. Otterstat. And there is no polarity concern. One connector to each spade on the O'stat.

Photo 4
Yes, no wire goes to the lower left ballast pack spade.

er1c
07-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Thanks chaps,

Apologies.

Manual..

er1c
07-24-2023, 12:57 AM
It helps to know if your car is an automatic or manual, there are slight differences between the two.

The wires in the first pic are left unconnected, that terminal is for connecting a lead for testing.

The second pair look like the wires for the otterstat (the sensor that should be facing down in the coolant pipe on the left hand side). If your cooling fans are not switching on that is why.

The third connector is for full throttle kickdown, when the accelerator is fully depressed the throttle spool pushes a flap to push a button telling the car to fully enrich the fuel mixture and shift the transmission down a gear. If that connector is left disconnected it really doesn't affect normal driving. I'm guessing your car is an automatic.

Thanks so much, When you say the wires in the first pic... There is a green/yellow and black/red connector and to the right a black/blue connector..... Are you saying all 3 should be left ? I assumed at least 2 of them would pair...

Ron
07-24-2023, 09:02 AM
There is a green/yellow and black/red connector and to the right a black/blue connector..... Are you saying all 3 should be left ? I assumed at least 2 of them would pair...

The Black wire and Red wire go to a 1uF capacitor (for noise suppression).

For the rest, look closely to see if there is a stripe on the wires.
(To avoid confusion- By convention, a black wire with a red stripe would be listed as "black/red" or "B/R" or "BR".)

er1c
07-24-2023, 09:09 AM
The Black wire and Red wire go to a 1uF capacitor (for noise suppression).

For the rest, look closely to see if there is a stripe on the wires.
(To avoid confusion- By convention, a black wire with a red stripe would be listed as "black/red" or "B/R" or "BR".)

These are the 3... where it the connector for that capacitor ? I thought the pair on the left highlighted were connected together before.

Ron
07-24-2023, 11:22 AM

These are the 3... where it the connector for that capacitor ? I thought the pair on the left highlighted were connected together before.
No stripes??
If you plugged the pair on the left together, which wires go to which?
I can't tell much from the pic and don't want to tell you wrong....

er1c
07-24-2023, 12:46 PM
The connector is the same on both of these. Best seen in the first pic.

The first is Black and Red.

The second is light green/white and maybe Teal and brown, pic not great but if you follow the wire down its a fair bit clearer.

Ron
07-24-2023, 05:34 PM

The second is light green/white and maybe Teal and brown, pic not great but if you follow the wire down its a fair bit clearer.

A lot of cars don't have the capacitor...

In the 2nd pic, I'm guessing GN a (Green/Brown stripe) wire and a LGW (Light Green/White stripe) wire for the reverse light switch:

er1c
07-25-2023, 04:00 AM
A lot of cars don't have the capacitor...

In the 2nd pic, I'm guessing GN a (Green/Brown stripe) wire and a LGW (Light Green/White stripe) wire for the reverse light switch:

Star, thanks Ron, I am totally forgetting about the rear Fascia electrics, I have the rear fascia board off at the moment.

er1c
08-26-2023, 01:43 AM

Just to finish this thread off.

#1 The blue and black pair of wires (with single black) actually pair with the red and black connector in the first pic which threw me totally. The green pair connector actually does have a mate, which had slipped onto the top of the engine so once pulled up that was fine.

#2 Was indeed the Otterstat.

#3 On a manual the white connectors pair with the other left empty.

#4 Ballast connector bottom left is blank as was specified.