PDA

View Full Version : Inline fuse added, about to blow

er1c
08-28-2023, 12:35 PM
Hi All,

Just had a routine check of the fuse box and I have always had a brown wire from the loop passing through an inline fuse which has been added.

https://i.imgur.com/iBEqpW3.png

Any ideas what this is ? I assume its one of the main positive feeds, I thought this may be to replace the top center fuse which has burnt out in the main fuse board and I believe happened on all of them.

Long and short this is a yellow fuse. But it had melted in place and yet survived. The connector 2-3 inches up from the fuse had also gone brown and started to burn.

I am guessing this is perhaps to the starter ? Should it be a yellow rated fuse ?

It felt warm after a couple of cranks.

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Bitsyncmaster
08-28-2023, 12:47 PM
It probably is the is the #7 fuse that powers the fuel pump, WUR heater and FV through the RPM relay. If you had a clamp on current meter it would be easy to check which one of those may be drawing to much power. #7 fuse should be a 20 amp (yellow fuse).

er1c
08-28-2023, 01:12 PM
It probably is the is the #7 fuse that powers the fuel pump, WUR heater and FV through the RPM relay. If you had a clamp on current meter it would be easy to check which one of those may be drawing to much power. #7 fuse should be a 20 amp (yellow fuse).

Super ta Dave font of knowledge as always

AugustneverEnds
08-28-2023, 03:08 PM
From what I can see in the pic you posted there is not a fuse in #7 which, like Dave, I think your inline fuse is for #7 which is known to get hot enough over time to melt the fuse box. The inline fuse is your previous owner's way of avoiding that from happening.

I see the fuse box cover in the upper right side of your picture. Do you cover the fuse box with it? You may want to consider leaving it off, it probably just traps the heat and contributes to the fuse box melting. (https://store.delorean.com/110520-fuse-box-cover.html)