PDA

View Full Version : Electrical DDLCU install

orbitron3000
10-19-2011, 02:00 PM
I recently received the digital door lock control unit from DMCH and finally am getting around to installing it. However, there are two wires that I don't know what they go to. An orange and yellow wire are present where on the old module only the harness and red power wires are present. I assume they have something to do with the module being digital but with no included install instructions I'm wary of installing it.

What do these wires go to?

Ryan

Chris 16409
10-19-2011, 02:59 PM
I believe those wires can be hooked up to a keyless entry module. Instead of having to tap into the main harness, you can hook up the remote lock/unlock to the extra wires provided. They should even have blade terminals for an even easier installation. However, I don't know which of the two wires sends the lock/unlock signal.

WelmoedJ
10-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Perhaps it's rather bold to say this, however, I feel this is the correct way:

You mentioned not having received details about those wires in the installation instructions.
Obviously other buyers will not have gotten those either and may or may not have asked.
Asking this question here may therefore only lead to assumptions.

The right info can be obtained from your vendor, so ask him.
Along the way you then can ask to update his instructions for new buyers.

orbitron3000
10-19-2011, 03:31 PM
@Chris: thanks I'll give it a shot.

@WelmoedJ: I looked around to see if anyone else had this question, and couldn't find it. It was reasonable for me to assume that in my case the vendor simply forgot to package the instructions as I have received instructions on other parts from them in the past. Therefore, I felt that the folks here would know because it's highly likely that others have bought this part in the past.

Ryan

DMC5180
10-19-2011, 03:40 PM
I'd Like to know the answer to those wires also (which is which?) I currently have a 10 year old LockZilla W/remote system. I want to remove the LZ DLM and install the Solid State DMCH unit but keep the Zilla Remote for now. The Zilla Remote connected to 4 or 5 of the wires in the 9-pin DLM connector on the Back side of the LZ DLM connector.

I'm just guessing at the wires for the Zilla remote are configured something like this.
1) 12V
2) GRD
3) Lock
4) Unlock
5) ??? if it has 5th wire I have not looked at it lately to verify.

DMCMW Dave
10-19-2011, 03:43 PM
However, I don't know which of the two wires sends the lock/unlock signal.

Yelow is "unlock", orange is "lock".

WelmoedJ
10-19-2011, 04:23 PM
@WelmoedJ: I looked around to see if anyone else had this question, and couldn't find it. It was reasonable for me to assume that in my case the vendor simply forgot to package the instructions as I have received instructions on other parts from them in the past. Therefore, I felt that the folks here would know because it's highly likely that others have bought this part in the past.

Ryan

You've got a point here.
They may have forgotten to supply the instructions.
However it also may be that they assume you know what to do.

IMO a vendor should always ensure that devices that are a bit more complicated (to install) have a solid instruction, even though it may be clear how connections are made.
That way they can avoid errors while progressing with an installation.
Expecially when electronic devices are the matter, an instruction should begin with "disconnect the battery before proceeding...."

TTait
10-20-2011, 12:50 AM
I think Toby put that unit together? If so its documented 8 ways to sunday... I'd call and ask just to be sure...

About two months ago I had my center console all apart and noticed that the orange wire from my stereo was not tied in. Everybody knows the orange wire hooks up to the headlight switch to dim the display at night, its a standard thing if the stereo uses the universal wiring colors, which this unit did. Mostly.

My dear friends in China must have decided that they could use a XXX324B connector they already had, but since that particular unit did not support dimming, they would repurpose the orange wire to be a power output for the parking radar.

So now a stinky paperweight that used to be a single din DVD/CD/AM/FM/TV/Bluetooth/usb/SD/GPS stereo that didn't block the center vents...

Always double check, always ask. Don't assume - it makes an ass out of U, like me!

orbitron3000
10-20-2011, 03:14 AM
If Toby did then it'll be documented in the WingALoft system that I purchased at the same time. One of the pre-req's was to have a working locking system, which my car didn't have before I fixed that little problem. Now my car has dimming lights, and central locking :D

it's quite exciting to see the car's features restored to their original functionality.

WelmoedJ
10-20-2011, 04:25 AM
So now a stinky paperweight that used to be a single din DVD/CD/AM/FM/TV/Bluetooth/usb/SD/GPS stereo that didn't block the center vents...

Sorry to read your radio has decided to give in due to bad documentation.
No friends around that can check if repair is possible?
Could be just a little thing like a capacitor or resistor blown (hopefully not an entire circuit).

TTait
10-20-2011, 10:25 AM
OT

It wasn't documentation, it was being too lazy to make sure before I hooked it up.

I did have a friend open the case and take a look - he said it reminded him of Fukushima.