PDA

View Full Version : Engine Leak at Otterstat

lazabby
11-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Ok, last year when it got cold my car started leaking at the otterstat. Thinking that perhaps the rubber was getting old (the otterstat being 5 years old) I bought a new one, place a sealant around it put it back in the hole. I have both the clip and a zip tie to hold it in place. A few days ago whe nA cold front came through (cold by Texas standards) the thing is leaking again. What gives? I never had an issue until last year.

David T
11-05-2011, 11:00 PM
You do not put ANYTHING on the rubber seal for the otterstadt switch. If you have to you can lubricate it with some coolant to install it. I can't explain why but ANY sealer will cause the rubber seal to leak. Also before installing make sure there is no burr or scratch that can damage the rubber seal. The clip and/or strap tie is only to prevent the switch from popping out, it does nothing to seal the system.
David Teitelbaum

Bitsyncmaster
11-06-2011, 05:24 AM
I used a sealer when I replaced the seal about 5 years ago and has been leak free since.

David T
11-06-2011, 12:15 PM
When I first got my car I did the whole cooling system. I used a smear of silicone sealer on the otterstadt seal. In less than a week it split wide open. It was the orange rubbery silicone type materiel. It did not like the silicone sealer AT ALL!
David Teitelbaum

Bitsyncmaster
11-06-2011, 01:44 PM
When I first got my car I did the whole cooling system. I used a smear of silicone sealer on the otterstadt seal. In less than a week it split wide open. It was the orange rubbery silicone type materiel. It did not like the silicone sealer AT ALL!
David Teitelbaum

It's the silicone sealer that's the problem. I tried that on the heater hose and it would not seal. I use permatex #2 most always when I need any sealer. Coolant hoses I don't use anything and just use the best hose clamps I can get.

David T
11-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Well, after destroying the seal I tried it "dry" and have not had any problems since and I have done several that way. I used to use Permatex on the hoses but once you use it you can't remove the hose unless you cut it off so now I use a little anti-freeze to lubricate it so I can slip the hose on easier. Make sure the end you are putting the hose on is clean and use a good hose clamp and you don't have leaks that you need to use Permatex (or silicone sealer).
David Teitelbaum

lazabby
11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
We're suppose to get another cold front come through later this week (probably drop the temps down to the 50's). Anyway I'll see if it starts leaking again.

The verdict so far in this debate is: put sealant on - don't put sealant on. Any other opinions?

What I can't quite figure out is why, after two otterstats, it's still leaking when it gets cold. I haven't looked at it closely yet this time around. I think I better make sure it's not coming from the hose connection nearby and dripping off the otterstat.

Spittybug
11-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I think I better make sure it's not coming from the hose connection nearby and dripping off the otterstat.

That's my bet. If you want, we can put it up on the lift and take a look......

lazabby
11-07-2011, 10:51 AM
That's my bet. If you want, we can put it up on the lift and take a look......

And convert the engine to EFI at the same time? Kill two birds with one stone!

Spittybug
11-07-2011, 07:16 PM
And convert the engine to EFI at the same time? Kill two birds with one stone!

Sure! Come on over to the "dark side" and EFI it. Start your own thread in our EFI projects area. Adam and Mike have broken through and are well on their way. First step is to buy the MS unit and build it (or buy one pre built). Then fuel rails, hose, LC1 wide band O2, 6 injectors and a couple of automotive relays. It's just money $$.

lazabby
11-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Sure! Come on over to the "dark side" and EFI it. Start your own thread in our EFI projects area. Adam and Mike have broken through and are well on their way. First step is to buy the MS unit and build it (or buy one pre built). Then fuel rails, hose, LC1 wide band O2, 6 injectors and a couple of automotive relays. It's just money $$.

I'm doing a lot of thinking about it. $$ is the issue at the moment. I need to get past the Christmas season first.