PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Fuel pump identification?

Spittybug
11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
After reading a lot about people having trouble with fuel pumps, I decided to go check on mine. This is what I found. Can anyone readily identify it based on the red hoses and the wiring on top? I checked the voltage at the terminals and it was just a hair under 12V, so I cleaned them up and put them back on. I pulled the sender out and it is the original style. I'm not having any problem with it so I cleaned the plug contacts and put him back. I didn't bother pulling the pump out since I'm not having any difficulty with it whatsoever and I didn't want to create extra work for no reason. The worst part of this task was the three rivnuts that were spinning in their holes. I pressed them out and replaced them with epoxied-in plastic dry wall anchors. 10 new stainless screws to secure the panel (after scraping off all of the gratuitously applied black RTV silicone) and put the panel back on.

I also removed the screen below the windshield, took a scotchbrite to the fiberglass surface and cleaned it nicely. I cleaned and then painted (black instead of the white plastic) the air intake hole on the passenger side of center and replaced the screws and rubber spacers with stainless screws and nylon spacers. Clean. The windshield wiper arms were removed, the hardware cleaned up and more RTV removed before being reassembled.

I appreciate the fact that the fiberglass holes or joints in these cars leak, but it looks like in too many cases RTV was liberally applied EVERYWHERE, whether or not the joint/hole ever saw water or whether there were any other seals in place. The car looks much neater without globs of that stuff.

sean
11-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Looks like a later style of Bosch with a set of HP fuel lines. I know Grady sold/sells them but not sure who else did/does.

DMCMW Dave
11-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Those are the high pressure hoses sold by Grady over the past 10-15 years at least. Probably a replacement Bosch pump as well. Looks nice and clean.

I'd be careful with those hoses, they are fine high pressure hoses, but we've seen a few starting to suffer from age (as anything will!). They are a press-fit on the barbs (no clamps) and with age can start leaking if you try to put much force on them.

I would, in any case, take the effort to loosen the large clamp and lift up the whole assembly just to take a look at the rubber boot with a flashlight. You won't need to take anything apart but you really need to look at the inside of the tank. Ignorance is not bliss.

After reading a lot about people having trouble with fuel pumps, I decided to go check on mine. This is what I found. Can anyone readily identify it based on the red hoses and the wiring on top? I checked the voltage at the terminals and it was just a hair under 12V, so I cleaned them up and put them back on. I pulled the sender out and it is the original style. I'm not having any problem with it so I cleaned the plug contacts and put him back. I didn't bother pulling the pump out since I'm not having any difficulty with it whatsoever and I didn't want to create extra work for no reason. .

David T
11-09-2011, 10:01 PM
If you do decide to pull the fuel pump for a peek make a mark so you can index the fuel pump back to the same spot. If you do not and twist it you could wind up kinking the pick-up hose. I do also strongly recommend looking inside. All fuel system problems begin in the fuel tank. If you see blobs of water floating around on the bottom or dirt or sludge the tank should be drained and cleaned. Best to remove the pump when the fuel tank is low on fuel. Replace any damaged or deteriorated parts but from the looks of things you should be in good shape (except maybe for some dirt).
David Teitelbaum

Spittybug
11-09-2011, 10:47 PM
When I pulled the sender out, I did peek in. It looked pretty clean, just some minor debris on the bottom; nothing too bad in my mind.