PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Door striker pin adjustment needed

Stainless
11-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I've been the owner of 02087 since March of this year. I purchased it online, based entirely on the photos provided. I couldn't be happier about the purchase and the quality of the car's condition. There are, however, a few things about it that I am looking to fix while it is hibernating for the winter.

The first thing is the alignment of the passenger door. It's like it closes too far. It is sunken in further than the front fender and rear quarter panel. Here are some pics of what I'm referring to:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/jlattin21/DSCN0316.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/jlattin21/DSCN0315.jpg

The pictures don't really do it justice. The passenger door also closes with a lot of clunking, while the driver's side door closes smoothly. It's definitely not aligned as well as it should be.

I can get the door to align with the other panels much better if I don't push it shut all the way, which leads me to believe that the striker pins just need to be adjusted. I have read threads on how to align the door, and many have mentioned that you can adjust the striker pins, but I have no idea how this is to be accomplished. I understand that this may require a bit of trial and error too.

Just looking at the striker pin, it doesn't appear that it can be moved. I don't want to remove the striker pin grommet (part #110728) until I know what to expect. So, will I need to replace the striker pin grommet with a new one, and how do I adjust the striker pins? I appreciate your help.

DMCMW Dave
11-12-2011, 07:19 PM
You peel the grommet off and glue it back on. Or throw it away.

Once off you'll see a hex at the base of the striker pin. Loosen the pin and it will be able to be moved in all directions. If you take it out the nut will stay in place inside.

Stainless
11-12-2011, 07:49 PM
That sounds simple enough. I noticed that the striker pin on the rear of the door, nearest to the rear quarter panel, is developing a small flat spot on the tip where it's obviously catching on the door. Can you move the striker pin in and out, meaning so that the striker pin is longer or shorter, or can you only move it up/down/left/right?

DMCMW Dave
11-12-2011, 08:06 PM
That sounds simple enough. I noticed that the striker pin on the rear of the door, nearest to the rear quarter panel, is developing a small flat spot on the tip where it's obviously catching on the door. Can you move the striker pin in and out, meaning so that the striker pin is longer or shorter, or can you only move it up/down/left/right?

You can make it shorter by removing washers or using thinner ones, but sometimes that causes issues with the pin staying in place over time.

David T
11-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Before attempting to adjust the striker pins, (anchor pins) you should replace the door seals. All too often the pins are adjusted because the doors rattle because the inner door seals are dead. You adjust the length by adding or removing washers. The end of the pin should not touch the door and the head should not hit anything, only the shank under the head should get captured by the latch. If you feel the door bumping forward or rearward and you see scratches on the door guides the pins are hitting where they shouldn't. Adjusting the pins is a trial-and-error process. The doors open and close in an arc. Remove one pin and try adjusting one till you get it good and then try doing the other. If you have to you can also grind a little off the top of the head.
David Teitelbaum

FABombjoy
11-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I didn't see this mentioned but it's important to note - adjust the striker pins so that the door closes correctly, regardless of the body panel alignment. Then, once the doors open/close smoothly, peel the outer door seals back, loosen the fender/quarter panel screws, and align the body panels to the doors. If you try to fix the panel alignment by adjusting the striker pins you'll end up driving yourself mad.

DMCMW Dave
11-13-2011, 05:34 PM
..... If you try to fix the panel alignment by adjusting the striker pins you'll end up driving yourself mad.

And have leaky rattly doors.

Stainless
11-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I had a chance to attempt the door striker pin adjustment this past weekend. I have it adjusted so it doesn't close quite as rough. It's still not perfect by any means, but good enough for me to live with. It doesn't line up perfectly with the front or rear quarter panels, but better than it did. Maybe someday I'll be in a situation that will allow me to have an expert align the door, but due to my location and the distance to any pros, I'll have to live with the minor improvement.

Here's a pic to show the door alignment compared to the rear quarter panel now:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/jlattin21/DSCN0333.jpg

painterdave72
11-22-2011, 02:21 PM
loosen the screws under the weatherstripping on the quarter panel.. u are supposed to line up the quarter and fender to the door.. that should help yours out quite a bit!

outatym2001
12-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Door Striker Pin Alignment
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?322-Door-Striker-Pin-Alignment

AdmiralSenn
12-03-2011, 09:45 PM
loosen the screws under the weatherstripping on the quarter panel.. u are supposed to line up the quarter and fender to the door.. that should help yours out quite a bit!

This right here. Just be careful with the weatherstripping or be prepared to replace it.

I just reattached my quarter panels today and was able to line them up nicely. There's more play on the quarter panels than people realize.