PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Hood and Engine lights flacky

Bitsyncmaster
11-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Just opened my hood and now that LED light was very dim. The door lights and dome lights are working full brightness. Then I opened the engine compartment and that made the hood light go full bright. Must be a bad connection but what connection is common to those two lights on opposite ends of the car? Yet the common purple wire is also common to the door and dome lights.:(

Farrar
11-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Just a warning: I noticed flaky courtesy lights on my car just before the entire circuit went dead. So if you are going to drive your car at night, have a flashlight handy so you can see when you open your doors.

Good luck!

Farrar

jfirios
11-21-2011, 10:04 PM
yes the hot is the solid purple and the purple with the stripe is the neg. I just re did all the lighting in my trunk as well. Though before the white switch the neg is black and the hot is the solid purple. They changed the color of the ground going from the switch to the light.

Bitsyncmaster
11-22-2011, 04:39 AM
My problem is going to be hard to find since it's not showing up anymore (yet). If I had a harness wire list it would be a simple matter to find the junction that is common to both the hood and engine lights. I know it's not shorting to ground on the purple wire since the dome and door lights always work. Besides, I run a 3 amp fuse on that circuit. So it has to be a bad connection on that purple wire. I would not think the ground could be a common problem on both those lights.

DeloreanJoshQ
12-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Yesterday I took my Delorean for its winter monthly ride and noticed neither my underhood light or my engine bay light work now. Everything else works fine.
They worked fine all summer.
Where do I start looking?

DMCMW Dave
12-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Yesterday I took my Delorean for its winter monthly ride and noticed neither my underhood light or my engine bay light work now. Everything else works fine.
They worked fine all summer.
Where do I start looking?

Clean the electrical contacts on the bulbs and/or replace the switches. Or get a good flashlight, it's probably more useful especially in the engine bay.

Bitsyncmaster
12-09-2011, 06:00 AM
I have not seen the problem again. But it would be nice to know what is the common connection that makes both the hood and engine light go bad when the rest of the lights work good.

Farrar
12-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Try disconnecting and reconnecting your bulkhead connectors. Somewhere in there is a wire for your engine compartment light. I dunno, maybe worth a shot... :shrug:

Farrar

DMCMW Dave
12-09-2011, 10:38 AM
I have not seen the problem again. But it would be nice to know what is the common connection that makes both the hood and engine light go bad when the rest of the lights work good.

Gremlins. The only thing common to the hood and engine light is the fuse, and that's common with the interior lights as well.

Bitsyncmaster
12-25-2011, 03:17 PM
I think I fixed my problem. It seems when I went to all LEDs on the dome lights, I needed to put one of those load resistors (49.9 Kohm) on one of my dome lights. It may only be with my constant current LEDs that need this but if you find you could not shut off the parade mode by closing the doors, use one resistor.