PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Starter

DMC3165
11-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Hi all,

I need a starter. Mine is on its last leg. I'd be willing to do a straight up sale but I have a few items to trade if anyone's interested. I have a used 140 amp alternator and an original unused luggage rack. Also have a five speed shifter ball and an original AC Delco 15# radiator cap. Everything is used but in good condition except the luggage rack.

stevedmc
11-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi all,

I need a starter. Mine is on its last leg. I'd be willing to do a straight up sale but I have a few items to trade if anyone's interested. I have a used 140 amp alternator and an original unused luggage rack. Also have a five speed shifter ball and an original AC Delco 15# radiator cap. Everything is used but in good condition except the luggage rack.

If you don't mind cross referencing you can go down to Autozone and pickup a 91 Eagle Premier starter for $99 plus core. Pay the core and keep your old starter. There is at least one vendor that will buy it from you for core + a few dollars extra.

DMC3165
11-25-2011, 11:04 AM
If you don't mind cross referencing you can go down to Autozone and pickup a 91 Eagle Premier starter for $99 plus core. Pay the core and keep your old starter. There is at least one vendor that will buy it from you for core + a few dollars extra.

I've heard about this. Do you have to modify any of the wiring (or anything else) to make this work?

stevedmc
11-25-2011, 04:58 PM
It is a bolt on replacement with no modification to the starter. I believe our stock starters have an "extra connection" that goes to K-Jet and the Eagle starter does not. When I installed my Eagle starter I installed it and left the extra wire disconnected. I never had a problem with the starter in that configuration.

Perhaps someone else can chime in and say what that extra wire is for. I believe it gives current to the CSV but I'm not 100% sure. Regardless, there are several people running K-Jet with the Eagle starter and have been doing so just fine.

Bitsyncmaster
11-25-2011, 06:28 PM
You just need to splice that extra wire onto the red/white wire on the small terminal on the starter. That wire runs the resistor bypass when starting the car.

DMC3165
11-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to head over to autozone and give this a try tomorrow.

DMC3165
11-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Just wanted to follow up on this. Apparently its almost as difficult to find a starter for a 91 eagle premier as it is a DeLorean. But after a few hours on the phone I was able to locate one about 30 miles away and the best part is it was $83. When I picked it up I noticed it did have small stud and tab on the solenoid so no splicing was needed. I picked it up and put it in and it works great. Even has the nice high torque sound. A huge improvement over my 30 year old OEM unit. So if anyone's looking for a stock starter in rebuildable condition, mine's available.

stevedmc
11-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Thats a really good price. Where did you get it and most importantly, does it have a lifetime warranty?

DMC3165
11-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Thats a really good price. Where did you get it and most importantly, does it have a lifetime warranty?

The name of the place is called Square Speed auto parts (516) 796 5100 in East Meadow NY. I did have to pay a $25 core charge but I'm not complaining.

It does have a warranty but I think it's a 12 month? Not really sure.

Bitsyncmaster
11-27-2011, 03:49 AM
So your starter solenoid had two small terminals?

DCUK Martin
11-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Just an FYI - new starters are still available from Renault. Probably around $250 by the time they're shipped to the US though. I fit the later shorter unit that is more powerful and spins faster. It was fitted to almost all PRV Renaults for over a decade. it has two spade terminals so you have to re crimp the two control wires.

DMC3165
11-27-2011, 09:54 AM
So your starter solenoid had two small terminals?

Yes. One was a flat tab "push on" type connector that had a white wire with a blue stripe ( I think) going to it. The other was a small post type that had the white wire with the red stripe. My OEM starter had these two connections right next to each other but not making direct contact with each other on the outside of the solenoid. On the new unit they are in the exact same positions but they do make a direct connection on the outside.

Problem?

Bitsyncmaster
11-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Yes. One was a flat tab "push on" type connector that had a white wire with a blue stripe ( I think) going to it. The other was a small post type that had the white wire with the red stripe. My OEM starter had these two connections right next to each other but not making direct contact with each other on the outside of the solenoid. On the new unit they are in the exact same positions but they do make a direct connection on the outside.

Problem?

No problem. Just wondering what type of starter you got since mine only had the one small ring type terminal.

By the way a simple test if your resistor bypass is working is to pull the white wire off the resistor. Then try to start the car. It should start but shortly after releasing the key your engine will stop.

thegreatscott
06-16-2012, 01:58 AM
do you still need a starter (http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Starter) mate?i know some cheap store i can give you good suggestions about it if you are still interested just pm me.