PDA

View Full Version : Engine Starter/flywheel question

DMC3165
11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Recently I installed a new starter. I decided to go with the eagle premier starter because it was cheaper and easier to get. But I may have an issue with it.

I'm sure most of you have heard that annoying flywheel grind that a starter makes when it catches a bad tooth. Well mine seems to be doing that in reverse.

In other words i'll turn the key and the starter engages normally. But sometimes when the engine fires it makes that grind sound. This obviously has something to do with the starter because this never happened with my old Paris-rhone unit.

Suggestions?

LEVY
11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
First, make sure your bolts are tight, then make sure your wires are not touching each other.

Recently I installed a new starter. I decided to go with the eagle premier starter because it was cheaper and easier to get. But I may have an issue with it.

I'm sure most of you have heard that annoying flywheel grind that a starter makes when it catches a bad tooth. Well mine seems to be doing that in reverse.

In other words i'll turn the key and the starter engages normally. But sometimes when the engine fires it makes that grind sound. This obviously has something to do with the starter because this never happened with my old Paris-rhone unit.

Suggestions?

Delorean Industries
11-28-2011, 06:02 PM
This is typical of an engagement issue. I would think that this would be related to not letting off the key quick enough when the engine engages or the rebuild is sticking. Thanks to the bell housing design you really do not need to worry about shimming the unit. It only installs one way. Does this happen every time you start the car or just periodically?

I have not seen an issue with this before except for one time where a rebuild was sticking and staying engaged on the ring gear once the engine fired.

DMC3165
11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
This is typical of an engagement issue. I would think that this would be related to not letting off the key quick enough when the engine engages or the rebuild is sticking. Thanks to the bell housing design you really do not need to worry about shimming the unit. It only installs one way. Does this happen every time you start the car or just periodically?

I have not seen an issue with this before except for one time where a rebuild was sticking and staying engaged on the ring gear once the engine fired.

Only does it occasionally. In ten starts its only happened twice. The first time I thought it was a fluke the second makes me think somethings up.

DMCNY
11-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Do you have the centering ring and protecting plate installed?

http://store.delorean.com/p-6825-centering-ring.aspx

http://store.delorean.com/p-8458-protecting-plate.aspx

When I first bought my car it had the original Paris Rhone starter in it, but these two parts were missing. It made that terrible grinding noise everytime I started it.

I bought the Eagle starter and installed it without knowing those two parts were missing and it made the same grinding noise.

Dave Swingle mentioned this on the old forum and he was right!

I bought those two parts and installed them and it has been quiet as can be.

DMC3165
11-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Both the shield and the centering ring was there. But I'm not sure if there was three of those rings or just one. There was definitely one on the side mounting bolt. But that's all I remember seeing.

David T
11-28-2011, 10:51 PM
A little bit of lubrication on the bendix can't hurt either. If it is dry it won't move freely. It is also possible the ring gear on the flywheel is messed up. Pull the starter and inspect it.
David Teitelbaum

1batt4u
11-29-2011, 11:49 AM
What exactly is the centering ring?? When I just removed the original starter, just the plate was there. Didn't see any centering ring. Where exactly does that go?

Ron
11-29-2011, 11:58 AM
What exactly is the centering ring?? When I just removed the original starter, just the plate was there. Didn't see any centering ring. Where exactly does that go?
#10-> http://store.delorean.com/c-278-3-3-0-startersolenoid.aspx

DMC3165
11-29-2011, 12:40 PM

The centering ring acts like a dowel pin to align the starter when your putting it in.

shortcircuit971
11-29-2011, 01:25 PM
My starter motor (original from 81) used to do the same thing. I took it apart and cleaned it and re-greased it and it worked fine for about 4 months until it started to do it again. At that point I cleaned it again and filled it to the brim with white lithium grease all around the bendix. Almost two years later and it has been perfectly quiet and starts the car quickly. It seems like the bendix wasn't kicking back after the engine started. Check that the splines on the starter shaft are clean and straight with no nicks and maybe apply a little grease to it. This shouldn't have to be done on a new starter of course, but that's what I think is causing the noise. Hope that helps.

DMC3165
11-29-2011, 05:46 PM
I went over everything today without pulling the starter. I was a little pressed for time so this was all I could do. I made sure nothing was loose and no wires are touching. Everything looked ok.One thing i forgot to mention earlier is the 2 times i heard the grinding noise i had my foot on the clutch when starting it. This is something i normally do as a routine practice. But since this happened i have been starting it without pushing in the clutch and it's been ok. I can't see why this would make a difference but maybe someone here might know.