PDA

View Full Version : General What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Michael
04-21-2014, 03:40 PM
With the show season here and like must I like to show the D with the doors open. And we all know how people just jump in. I made this cross beam out of 3/4" pvc pipe primed it gray and cut it to about 40". To affix it I just place one side over a door pin and slightly bow it a bit and slip over the other door pin.

Now that's a nice solution! PVC pipe...why didn't I think of that?

For me, my car is in the shop getting a valve adjustment and the AC compressor replaced (slipping clutch). I happened by the dealership today to knock out a few cars I left behind and the tech left early for a doctors appointment which worked out perfectly for me. He had the valve covers off just begging to be re finished and that's exactly what I did. I had to snap a few pics of the beautifully clean valve train too!

Bitsyncmaster
04-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Put one of the new LCAs on the car today. Not finished bolting it all up yet, what a workout. Finally had to use some wire ties to help hold the LCA and spring up while I pushed the bushing mounting onto the frame. Lots of four letter words were flying. Had to compress the spring as much as I could. I think I will modify my spring compressor to mount onto the shock bolt holes. The bottom of the LCA is tapered so the compressor wants to slide down the LCA.

jwrayth
04-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Not today, but over the weekend I had a chance to get the DeLorean out for a good couple of drives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_fpBif1OJc

...though that came off the back of needing a new battery, fitting a new drivers side door lock and removing more left-over wiring from the previous owner.

DavidProehl
04-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Not today, but over the weekend I had a chance to get the DeLorean out for a good couple of drives!

...though that came off the back of needing a new battery, fitting a new drivers side door lock and removing more left-over wiring from the previous owner.

Thanks for posting! Great video! Always fun to see these cars out being enjoyed. Looks like you had a great day for driving.

jawn101
04-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Couple things:

Post #2 in this thread shows the two I've been using: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5351-Blending-pads-good-place-to-order-10-of-them&highlight=blending+pads

I'm a new owner, so I followed the advice of the experienced guys. :thumbup2:

Scotch Brite *GREY* - grit # is 7446

With the show season here and like must I like to show the D with the doors open. And we all know how people just jump in. I made this cross beam out of 3/4" pvc pipe primed it gray and cut it to about 40". To affix it I just place one side over a door pin and slightly bow it a bit and slip over the other door pin.

David P (below) came up with the nicest solution to this I've seen yet. I like mine because it allows the tube to collapse down into half the length, great for storage - but a HUGE PITA to set up. David's is simple and elegant and while a little more annoying to store, is WAY easier to use and better looking when installed. If we ask him nice I bet he'll share a picture.

They sure are! I haven't tested my fix yet to determine if I'm 100% dry, but it has to have helped.

Awesome! :)

As for myself, yesterday I was stopped by the driver of a brand-new (still had temporary tags) Lamborghini Aventador while I was out getting lunch. He just wanted to shake hands and take a pic of my car. I should have done the same....

DavidProehl
04-22-2014, 07:46 PM
David P (below) came up with the nicest solution to this I've seen yet. I like mine because it allows the tube to collapse down into half the length, great for storage - but a HUGE PITA to set up. David's is simple and elegant and while a little more annoying to store, is WAY easier to use and better looking when installed. If we ask him nice I bet he'll share a picture.

As for myself, yesterday I was stopped by the driver of a brand-new (still had temporary tags) Lamborghini Aventador while I was out getting lunch. He just wanted to shake hands and take a pic of my car. I should have done the same....

Just to be clear - I didn't invent this technique, I've seen others do it and copied :)

What I did is very similar, perhaps identical, to what Skip did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LByEwp8p5Rk

Also, very cool story about the Lambo owner. I've been given thumbs up from them, but never stopped!

skipwater
04-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Just to be clear - I didn't invent this technique, I've seen others do it and copied :)

What I did is very similar, perhaps identical, to what Skip did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LByEwp8p5Rk

Also, very cool story about the Lambo owner. I've been given thumbs up from them, but never stopped!

That is nice I like the key notch so you do not need to bow the pipe:thumbup2:

SS Spoiler
04-22-2014, 10:13 PM
David, L did the same thing with some chrome pipe I found at AX MAN in the twin cities.

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT

DavidProehl
04-22-2014, 10:34 PM
David, L did the same thing with some chrome pipe I found at AX MAN in the twin cities.

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT

Excellent! That would be even better. Harder to cut the notch in, but would look a lot nicer. I spray painted the PVC and am hoping it doesn't crack or scratch too badly. I was recently thinking about that tech day where you helped me with my distributor cap. Hope MT is treating you well.

NightFlyer
04-22-2014, 10:54 PM
I made this so that I could pressure bleed the brakes and clutch on my car :smile:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26718&d=1398221649

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26719&d=1398221674

Mark D
04-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Nice! I made one of those too when I did my brakes last year. Much cheaper to build one yourself than to buy one of the premade pressure bleeders online. Plus it's fun to build stuff :cool1:

And it makes bleeding brakes super easy. I did it by myself in about an hour.

NightFlyer
04-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Nice! I made one of those too when I did my brakes last year. Much cheaper to build one yourself than to buy one of the premade pressure bleeders online. Plus it's fun to build stuff :cool1:

And it makes bleeding brakes super easy. I did it by myself in about an hour.

Thanks!

I love building stuff too :thumbup:

The toughest part was figuring out what cap to get for the clutch reservoir.

I already used it for the brakes, and it worked beautifully. Not sure if I want to mess with the clutch at all until after DCS - I'm still running Dunmurry hydraulic fluid in the clutch, and I'm afraid that if I flush it and replace with new, I'll end up with a leaky master and slave, and I just don't have the time to deal with that plus everything else that I want to get done on the car before DCS. The clutch currently works great, except when it gets hot out (requiring a double pump to avoid grinding) - I still have the nylon line and it swells when hot.

Besides, Dunmurry fluid and nylon line = more concours points :biggrin:

SS Spoiler
04-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Made one also, I found a vitamin bottle cap fit the master cylinder.

Tillsy
04-22-2014, 11:53 PM
I'm still running Dunmurry hydraulic fluid in the clutch

WOW!!! You need to put one of these stickers on it ;)

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26720&d=1398224978

NightFlyer
04-23-2014, 12:59 AM
WOW!!! You need to put one of these stickers on it ;)

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26720&d=1398224978

Hell yeah! :headbang:

NightFlyer
04-23-2014, 01:02 AM
Made one also, I found a vitamin bottle cap fit the master cylinder.

That's sweet - never even occurred to me to try a vitamin bottle cap.

As far as an automotive cross-reference is concerned, the clutch reservoir cap is from an air-cooled VW brake master cylinder - 27mm.

DMC81
04-23-2014, 03:50 PM
I removed the passenger side seat today to get ready to install the new fuse box that's on order but I have a non related question on the seat. What are some of the options to deal with all the rust and bad seat adjustment bars?

jawn101
04-24-2014, 12:01 AM
I removed the passenger side seat today to get ready to install the new fuse box that's on order but I have a non related question on the seat. What are some of the options to deal with all the rust and bad seat adjustment bars?

Not a lot you can do other than disassemble it (but I'd be very cautious, I've heard warnings that it can be difficult to get the tracks back together), blast or scrub the rust down and paint it. Remove the carpets and shampoo them.

DMC81
04-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Not a lot you can do other than disassemble it (but I'd be very cautious, I've heard warnings that it can be difficult to get the tracks back together), blast or scrub the rust down and paint it. Remove the carpets and shampoo them.

Thanks for the info Jon , I was thinking the tracks were no longer available but they are and at a good price. It looks like the bars will need to be fabricated and I'll be set. Has any one made new & improved seat bars to get some ideas? Thanks

jawn101
04-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info Jon , I was thinking the tracks were no longer available but they are and at a good price. It looks like the bars will need to be fabricated and I'll be set. Has any one made new & improved seat bars to get some ideas? Thanks

We have been told before (I think by Dave at DMCMW) that fabricating those bars is much easier said than done. I think the last time this came up he just advised cleaning and painting. Maybe even powder coat, that's what I would do personally.

Jonathan
04-24-2014, 10:05 AM
On those slide release bars, sanding them down and repainting them is a viable option. Like Jon said, be careful removing them as I don't know how frail yours are with the rust on them. If you get new rails and put your reconditioned slide release bars in them, it might work out just fine for you.

I managed to secure a set from a parts car early on when I just got my car. My car didn't come with any believe it or not and with the driver's seat being about 2-3 clicks more forward than I needed it, you can imagine what was going through my mind as I thought I might have just bought a car I don't fit in. Luckily it was just the bars missing and probably just weren't reinstalled after the seats were out getting redone.

I cleaned up a used pair, repainted and have been fine since.

DrJeff
04-24-2014, 10:11 AM
I had the seats out and did a "while you're in there" project on both seat's mechanisms. The rust was patchy, but they cleaned up nicely and took the paint (Rust conversion primer and the semi-gloss black Rustoleum). On re-assembly I also reapplied some grease to the sliding mechanism in a few limited spots.

DMC81
04-24-2014, 10:49 AM
On those slide release bars, sanding them down and repainting them is a viable option. Like Jon said, be careful removing them as I don't know how frail yours are with the rust on them. If you get new rails and put your reconditioned slide release bars in them, it might work out just fine for you.

I managed to secure a set from a parts car early on when I just got my car. My car didn't come with any believe it or not and with the driver's seat being about 2-3 clicks more forward than I needed it, you can imagine what was going through my mind as I thought I might have just bought a car I don't fit in. Luckily it was just the bars missing and probably just weren't reinstalled after the seats were out getting redone.

I cleaned up a used pair, repainted and have been fine since.

My bars are toast so I'll keep an eye open for a better set and maybe do some thinking on making something new that is a little heavier material. It looks like you did a good job on getting your cleaned up, they look great! :thumbup2:

DMC81
04-24-2014, 10:52 AM
I had the seats out and did a "while you're in there" project on both seat's mechanisms. The rust was patchy, but they cleaned up nicely and took the paint (Rust conversion primer and the semi-gloss black Rustoleum). On re-assembly I also reapplied some grease to the sliding mechanism in a few limited spots.

I was thinking of doing the same but my slides are pitted pretty bad so I think I'll just order a new set here soon, glad yours cleaned up good for you tho.:thumbup2:

rdarlington
04-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Got really angry that my replacement AC idler bearing is squeaking again after replacing it with one of Hervey's "long lasting" blue seal bearings. Not even 6 months old and less than 1000 miles on it.

Installed the SS letters on the rear bumper. Looking sweet.

Trying to figure out what's wrong with my right angle drive. Can't get it out with the new spring set from 3 weeks ago. Bought a new cable from DMCH and thought it would be a simple swap, but no, it's longer than the original so I had to swap the hose, too. It doesn't seem to want to seat in the RA drive. I'm thinking part of my original cable broke off in there, or that side of the car wasn't put back together correctly (I was working on the passenger side the night we did the springs).

Sigh.

-Bob

Delorean Industries
04-24-2014, 10:29 PM
remove the tie rod end and over extend the front inwards. This will angle for extra clearance. Nothing wrong with your spring install. If there was you would know very quickly.

rdarlington
04-24-2014, 10:32 PM
remove the tie rod end and over extend the front inwards. This will angle for extra clearance. Nothing wrong with your spring install. If there was you would know very quickly.

Thanks Josh. I'll give it a shot. I'm about to go change the brake pads tonight or tomorrow so I'll have the wheel off and can give it a proper look over.

Any hints on tightening that RA drive nut? The brake line to the caliper is extremely close, so much so that my wrench really can't around the nut.

Delorean Industries
04-24-2014, 10:35 PM
I think nothing of it while doing it due to repetition and air tools so I always zip off the two 19mm caliper bolts for the clearance. You really want that nut tight. Always due a quick hub check to make sure it is not loose (up and down motion checking the bearing not side to side like a tie rod)

rdarlington
04-24-2014, 10:39 PM
I think nothing of it while doing it due to repetition and air tools so I always zip off the two 19mm caliper bolts for the clearance. You really want that nut tight. Always due a quick hub check to make sure it is not loose (up and down motion checking the bearing not side to side like a tie rod)

Maybe I'll wait till tomorrow. Duh, if I'm going to change the pads, I'll have the calipers off. I'm tired. Tired in a shop with power tools is dangerous. Need sleep.

Thanks again.

-Bob

Delorean Industries
04-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Make sure to torque the caliper bolts per spec when assembling. Never trust impacts. :)

rdarlington
04-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Tightened that right angle drive nut after figuring out what went wrong. When we did the springs 3 weeks ago, the wheels went back on the wrong sides, and the plastic plate that spins the cable stayed with the wheel. Problem fixed.

Torqued the caliper bolts down as well.

-Bob

NightFlyer
04-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Installed new tie-rod end boots to replace the remains (not much) of the stock/OEM boots, flushed the old brake fluid from the system replaced with new Valvoline DOT 3 and 4 and bled the brakes, oiled the oem angle drive with Lucas 80W90 gear oil, and greased the ball joints.

Up next is to drain the transaxle, replace a leaky lip seal, and refill.

rdarlington
04-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Up next is to drain the transaxle, replace a leaky lip seal, and refill.

I probably don't need to say it, but make sure you can take out the fill plug before removing the drain plug, otherwise you gotta flip your car upside down to fill er back up ;-)

-Bob

Mike F
04-25-2014, 11:59 PM
Mounted a new set of Cooper CS4 tires. Loving them so far! :)

djdogbone
04-26-2014, 06:25 PM
My father in law & I tore into the valley of death today to chase a coolant leak. Turns out the previous owner's mechanic didn't tighten one of the hose clamps in the valley of Death when he installed the new water pump. It was the fat hose on the y-pipe. I'm ordering the sealing kits and some new bolts.

I may also do the cap and rotor.26806

MML
04-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Interesting day today. Went to a car show in a stately home called The Argory in Northern Ireland, was approached by a couple of people, one turned out to be a test car driver from back in the day. The other was an accountant called Gerry Gollogly, he was with JZD when he was arrested. Knew all the main people - John Z, Nick Sutton, Mike Loasby, etc. Couldn't believe it when I heard it. I wish I had recorded the conversation!

Dangermouse
04-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Was he one of the 50000 mile car guys or a factory employee

MML
04-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Was he one of the 50000 mile car guys or a factory employee

I took it he was one of the 50k guys. He mentioned Alain Prost doing some of the driving, (as in the F1 driver), have you ever heard that before or did I mishear him?

MML
04-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Oh Dermot one for the records, I stopped by SJ Davison Motors in Dungannon, they have a D with 400 miles on the clock. The main man wasn't there, and unfortunately neither was the car, but I did get the VIN, it's 10952. The fella I spoke to showed me some photos, the car looks mint. Apparently it came from the Netherlands?

D Knight
04-26-2014, 08:30 PM
I've fabbed a seat bar. Wasn't too bad really. At least that was when Lowes had the right diameter tubing. Now it's a little harder to find. I made a wooden jig to bend the tube then cut to length. Put the ends in a vice to flatten them and notched them for the return spring. That was 4 years ago and it still works fine. I should have made a couple extra sets before I tossed the jig.

Today I installed a new rf wheel bearing. A lot easier than I thought! Wish my Blazer was that easy.

-D Knight-

Dangermouse
04-26-2014, 08:40 PM
I took it he was one of the 50k guys. He mentioned Alain Prost doing some of the driving, (as in the F1 driver), have you ever heard that before or did I mishear him?

Never heard that one before.

However a quick google shows that

1977-1979 he raced Formula 3 with Renault
1980 raced F1 with MCLaren and Ulster driver John Watson
1981-83 F1 with Renault again.

So there are certainly plenty of tenuous links

Did the Renault engine contract come with Prost as a test driver. Seems more likely if the guy you met was a factory test driver.

On the other hand perhaps Watson had a link to the Autoclub that did the 50k and got him over that way?

Good conspiracy theories anyway. I must look into that a but more.

Dangermouse
04-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Oh Dermot one for the records, I stopped by SJ Davison Motors in Dungannon, they have a D with 400 miles on the clock. The main man wasn't there, and unfortunately neither was the car, but I did get the VIN, it's 10952. The fella I spoke to showed me some photos, the car looks mint. Apparently it came from the Netherlands?

Thanks

DMC81
04-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Started installing the new fuse box today but ran out of light, my back feels like it was folded in half...lol On a good note im 2/3 of the way done, pick it up tomorrow.2680726808

Silverbullet
04-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Started installing the new fuse box today but ran out of light, my back feels like it was folded in half...lol On a good note im 2/3 of the way done, pick it up tomorrow.2680726808

I FEEL you... a lot of us have been there... You will love it when it is DONE... lol... Relax, take Aleve... tomorrow you will feel better..

Craig

DMC81
04-26-2014, 10:18 PM
I FEEL you... a lot of us have been there... You will love it when it is DONE... lol... Relax, take Aleve... tomorrow you will feel better..

Craig

Thanks buddy, it's not as bad of a job as I thought, just so very time consuming..lol

jackb
04-27-2014, 03:36 AM
I installed the delorean.eu LCA brackets, and replaced all the lugnuts with solid ones from Costco (part# 113124, only $.62 each)

Tillsy
04-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Been a few months since my baby has been out and about due lots of odds and ends - accumulator, last few fuel line, last few coolant line, etc upgrades.

Spent the past week cleaning her up immaculately ready for a car show today.

Was running late (as always when you have kids), jumped in, and went to head off.... CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Was coming from the starter motor and was loud as hell. Tried repeatedly, same thing.

So I tried the conventional wisdom around here and pounded it with a hammer. It grabbed this time, except... half turned the motor and the whole car died... oh shit, flat battery! Damnit - my battery isn't in the best of health, but so long as I drive her at least once a month she's okay. But after a few months of merely starting for various tests I should have known she'd be dead.

Now, I've never had a dead battery in an urgent situation before... never. Always been in a position where I can just slap myself and put it on charge. So I don't have any jumper leads, and was late so didn't have 12 hours to charge...

Grabbed my charger and tried jumping it up to start directly off that... not smart but I was desperate. Better, but not enough juice... SHIT!

So I desperately grabbed every roll of electrical wire I had until I found some 20AMP household electrical wire... not ideal, but for the very short period of jumping the car hopefully sufficient to carry enough current. Cut a long length, stripped the ends, and twisted it straight between the jump points of my daily driver and the DeLorean. Started up the daily driver, and then turned the key on the DeLorean.

Thank heavens she started, at which point I tore off to the car show and stayed in one gear too low the whole way to rev the alternator. Had plenty of charge for the trip home, and yes I finally bought some jumper leads whilst I was out!

So the original chronic loud clicking or clacking of the starter that stopped when I pounded it - is she on the way out or was it just the incredibly flat battery?

Michael
04-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Been a few months since my baby has been out and about due lots of odds and ends - accumulator, last few fuel line, last few coolant line, etc upgrades.

Spent the past week cleaning her up immaculately ready for a car show today.

Was running late (as always when you have kids), jumped in, and went to head off.... CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Was coming from the starter motor and was loud as hell. Tried repeatedly, same thing.

So I tried the conventional wisdom around here and pounded it with a hammer. It grabbed this time, except... half turned the motor and the whole car died... oh shit, flat battery! Damnit - my battery isn't in the best of health, but so long as I drive her at least once a month she's okay. But after a few months of merely starting for various tests I should have known she'd be dead.

Now, I've never had a dead battery in an urgent situation before... never. Always been in a position where I can just slap myself and put it on charge. So I don't have any jumper leads, and was late so didn't have 12 hours to charge...

Grabbed my charger and tried jumping it up to start directly off that... not smart but I was desperate. Better, but not enough juice... SHIT!

So I desperately grabbed every roll of electrical wire I had until I found some 20AMP household electrical wire... not ideal, but for the very short period of jumping the car hopefully sufficient to carry enough current. Cut a long length, stripped the ends, and twisted it straight between the jump points of my daily driver and the DeLorean. Started up the daily driver, and then turned the key on the DeLorean.

Thank heavens she started, at which point I tore off to the car show and stayed in one gear too low the whole way to rev the alternator. Had plenty of charge for the trip home, and yes I finally bought some jumper leads whilst I was out!

So the original chronic loud clicking or clacking of the starter that stopped when I pounded it - is she on the way out or was it just the incredibly flat battery?
Running a battery flat is never good for it. Some people keep trickle chargers or smart chargers on their car. If you have an Optima battery that may not be a good idea. I'm not a believer in trickle chargers unless they can read each cell individually.

Two things to do.
1, charge your battery correctly then take it to a parts store and have it load tested, replacing if necessary.

2, get yourself a jump box and keep it handy. I have 2, a small one I keep in whatever car I'm driving and a large one I keep in the garage. It has AC plugs, USB plugs, 12v plugs, and a compressor and light. Nice to have if the power goes out.
Whenever we set off on a trip there are a few things I keep in the trunk of our Volvo, tool kit, roadside kit, worklights, and that battery pack. It's good peace of mind.

Dangermouse
04-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Your symptoms are classic for a flat battery, not a starter problem. As Michael suggests, charge it and get it load tested. It may be toast.

I would also check that you don't have some sort of drain on your car that is running the battery down, depending on how long a freshly charged battery lasts when the car is parked.

Tillsy
04-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Running a battery flat is never good for it.

Absolutely - but it's not that I run it flat, it's just the battery is pretty stuffed. Basically it only holds enough juice for a few starts - if I drive her it's never a problem, but if I don't use her for a few months or recently I've been starting her to test various upgrades but not actually drive her, then she quickly dies. In such case I just give her a charge, but I completely forgot that she would likely be dead in the lead-up to today.

trickle chargers unless they can read each cell individually.
Yeah I've got some funky one that goes through about 11 different stages of testing and charging and can determine the condition of the cells - helps it a bit but the battery is still pretty knackered. It's got me by a couple years now, but to be honest I reckon prior to my importing her someone either over charged it, let it sit flat for a long time, or charged it with a regular non-AGM charger... the way the battery acts, and reports during the test cycles, feels it was one or all of those scenarios.

Should replace it but keep putting it off as I know its behaviour so (except for today) can allow for it.

get yourself a jump box and keep it handy. I have 2, a small one I keep in whatever car I'm driving and a large one I keep in the garage. It has AC plugs, USB plugs, 12v plugs, and a compressor and light. Nice to have if the power goes out.
I've often thought about getting one of those as it'd be handy for both power outages and camping as well as car emergencies... hmmmmmmmmmm....

Tillsy
04-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Your symptoms are classic for a flat battery, not a starter problem.

So you reckon the massive CLICK or CLACK the starter was making, really loud and really fast, was the battery and just coincidence that it grabbed and tried turning the motor when I whacked it one?

I do know the battery is stuffed, but if I've not driven her in a month it just causes her to struggle to turn the motor over... today was the first time it did that massive click/clack sound until I pounded it one.

Dangermouse
04-27-2014, 08:52 AM
The click clack was the solenoid energizing/de-energizing which is all the power the battery was capable if providing. Your thumping of the starter just gave it a little boost. Your starter may not be great but a fresh battery cures a lot of ills.

Tillsy
04-27-2014, 09:02 AM
The click clack was the solenoid energizing/de-energizing which is all the power the battery was capable if providing. Your thumping of the starter just gave it a little boost. Your starter may not be great but a fresh battery cures a lot of ills.

Darn, was hoping this would be justification to upgrade the starter to one of those awesome sounding ones ;)

Alrighty looks like I need to stop putting off the battery and just replace it...

Michael
04-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Darn, was hoping this would be justification to upgrade the starter to one of those awesome sounding ones

Alrighty looks like I need to stop putting off the battery and just replace it...

I got one of those starters even though I didn't need it. She does sound pretty cool cranking. Amost a shame it only takes a few spins to start.

and yeah, if it's not holding a charge any longer than that either you have a power draw or a shot battery..or both.

Soundkillr
04-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Darn, was hoping this would be justification to upgrade the starter to one of those awesome sounding ones ;)

Lol, I'm working on a customers car with damage to the stainless panels right now. He has one of these starters, and I thought the same thing. It does sound really cool! The thought crossed my mind for a second or two to replace mine. But alas, if it ain't broke....

Dangermouse
04-27-2014, 09:59 AM

Sorry, perhaps you misread my previous post. Yes, your current starter is only good as a boat anchor and should be replaced at once. And you need a new battery. better? :)

Andrew
04-27-2014, 12:22 PM
This week I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel hose from the filter to the fuel distributor with a new SS braided line. I also fixed a bracket on the binnacle and did some exhaust manifold work. I'll share the details on the exhaust manifold fix after I put some more mileage on; however, until then I don't want to jinx it.

Andrew

Mechanical testing miles driven in 2014: Aprox 230...trouble free thus far.

Bitsyncmaster
04-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Machined a modification for my internal spring compressor. I made a block cut from 1.75 " bar stock that bolts into the shock mount holes on the LCA. This block provides the seat for the long threaded rod that compresses the spring.

SS Spoiler
04-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Finished brake job and seat covers so we went on a long road test run. Noted blue smoke for first five miles, and erratic idle, hunting.
Did a compression test, these are the numbers......35, 75, 130,140, 130, and 120. That explains my bad blow by issues. Sounds like an overhaul
in the future. Still coming to Ohio probably on a trailer! Question...is it bad to drive with low compression? What can happen? Ideas?

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT

MML
04-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Did the Renault engine contract come with Prost as a test driver. Seems more likely if the guy you met was a factory test driver.

I was thinking along those lines too. Wish I had pulled him up on it.

Oh yes. Was in South Donegal today at another show. I parked in a picnic area in the middle of Barnesmore Gap for a bite to eat on the way home. Some hikers were walking along and came over to see the car. One of them says to me, "Do you know Neal Barclay? He's a mate of mine."

Small world eh??

DMCMW Dave
04-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Finished brake job and seat covers so we went on a long road test run. Noted blue smoke for first five miles, and erratic idle, hunting.
Did a compression test, these are the numbers......35, 75, 130,140, 130, and 120. That explains my bad blow by issues. Sounds like an overhaul
in the future. Still coming to Ohio probably on a trailer! Question...is it bad to drive with low compression? What can happen? Ideas?

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT

Do a leakdown test to figure out if it's bad valves or broken pistons. Although the blow-by problem probably gives you the answer. I presume you're seeing oil on the "clean" side of the air filter and in the intake (air flap)?

Oil will get dirty in a hurry. You'll foul the O2 sensor and plugs, but compared to the real problem neither is a big deal.

Disconnect the hose that runs from the oil filler cap to the air box and route it under the car (longer hose), this will keep you from dumping oil back into the intake and plugging the air filter. With the engine running you'll probably see a lot of smoke from that hose.

Jonathan
04-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Went for a 100+ km drive this afternoon and the car drove like a champ. No issues and it was one of the more fun drives I have had in recent memory. That says as much about the car finally being in good shape as it does about the driver. Giddyup. :)

SS Spoiler
04-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Dave, already put a by-pass hose off the oil fill tube. Is it possible extra gas could get by the rings and sit on the oil in the pan until it explodes?
Had that happen on a 58 Ford. Yeah I had to change oil soaked air filter. Put a crate motor from Don Steger at 79,000 miles. Car now has 153,000
on it. Plan to go for forged pistons, new cylinders. Will a single turbo break ring lands? or rings? [compression was 175psi when oil was squirted in plug hole].............bummer

Rich_NYS
04-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Flushed my cooling system ala Nightflyer Josh and replaced 5 of the coolant pipe coupler hoses.

Worked on my louvre repair; a round of sanding and another coat of polyester resin.

Applied some Fluid Film to the steel fuel filter line & fitting, as well as a few other random steel fittings "under there."

Used Gunk to begin degreasing the layers of gunk off the transfer case.

ifelder
04-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Met the transport driver and took delivery of 4307.

Drove it straight to work. 5PM could not come sooner.

eagle-co94
04-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Met the transport driver and took delivery of 4307.

Drove it straight to work. 5PM could not come sooner.

What, no pics?!

ifelder
04-28-2014, 03:37 PM
What, no pics?!

Here's right before she was loaded on the transport. Grey, 5 spd, Oct 81.

Has a bit of an idle hunt that I'm going to try and sort out tonight. Try and find a vacuum leak, check the dwell, then the idle motor.

robscott
04-29-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm doing a body off restoration, and its just hit the turning point of putting it back together :D yey Vin 6507 :D

Silverbullet
04-29-2014, 06:26 PM

Here's right before she was loaded on the transport. Grey, 5 spd, Oct 81.

Has a bit of an idle hunt that I'm going to try and sort out tonight. Try and find a vacuum leak, check the dwell, then the idle motor.

How come the door lights are off?

ifelder
04-29-2014, 10:26 PM
How come the door lights are off?

I pulled the courtesy light fuse.
Was concerned that the driver wouldn't close the door all the way and it'd arrive with a dead battery.

Last night I installed Tomcio's LED kit and the DMOCO shift gate & brushed knob.

sdg3205
04-30-2014, 02:20 AM
Day 2 changing the weather stripping at the seam between the door and t-panel. I had no idea it was going to be such a pain in the butt. Then I remembered - of course it is.

I had to take out the t-panel to get more clearance from the torsion bar. Also had to loosen the hinges because they pinned the stripping between them and the stainless. There was so much weather stripping goop from dunmurry. I cut away some major blobs.

Drilled out the old rivets, used a dremel to get the remnants out of the way.

A truly terrible job. Goin on day 3.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/uvy7ebaq.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/4adudahy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/gesy7eze.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/enuhy2az.jpg

pezzonovante88
04-30-2014, 09:43 AM
I pulled the courtesy light fuse.
Was concerned that the driver wouldn't close the door all the way and it'd arrive with a dead battery.

Last night I installed Tomcio's LED kit and the DMOCO shift gate & brushed knob.

I love the look of the shift gate, but is the shift lever supposed to be neutral between the 1-2 and 3-4 slots rather than centered between 3-4?

ifelder
04-30-2014, 09:54 AM
I love the look of the shift gate, but is the shift lever supposed to be neutral between the 1-2 and 3-4 slots rather than centered between 3-4?
Probably...
I had read enough horror stories of the shift gate not lining up and having to adjust the shift linkage control rod. I'm just happy I can get into all the gears without any adjustment.
There is a bit of rubbing, and i'm there's a bit of a trick to get it into reverse. But all the other drive gears are pretty easy to switch between while driving.

Bitsyncmaster
04-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Pulled the drivers side LCA out today. It was bent up pretty bad. Somebody hit something hard.

vps3922
04-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Day 2 changing the weather stripping at the seam between the door and t-panel. I had no idea it was going to be such a pain in the butt. Then I remembered - of course it is.

I had to take out the t-panel to get more clearance from the torsion bar. Also had to loosen the hinges because they pinned the stripping between them and the stainless. There was so much weather stripping goop from dunmurry. I cut away some major blobs.

I knew I know this garage and 3-seater sofa. You did this pain in the backside job? Good for you! I might have to do it one day as well according to Toby, so now I know where to go to get help. :wrenchin:

vps3922
04-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Pulled the drivers side LCA out today. It was bent up pretty bad. Somebody hit something hard.

I have the same bent seams. Toby (DMC NW) told me about it. These bents happen when a towing car is not using the towing mounts but just hooks into the LCAs. :mad2:
He recommended to straighten them with vice grips and then treat the rust as he has seen some Deloreans come into the garage with cracks starting right there. I will have to do this soon to my LCAs.

Bitsyncmaster
05-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Took the D out today for a road test after installing new LCAs. The steering wheel does not vibrate anymore. So I guess something was bad on the old LCA's, ball joints or bushings.

Now I need to take it to get new tires.

Jonathan
05-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Took the D out today for a road test after installing new LCAs. The steering wheel does not vibrate anymore. So I guess something was bad on the old LCA's, ball joints or bushings.

Now I need to take it to get new tires.

Hey Dave,

You probably mentioned this in another thread, but what LCAs did you go with as replacements? (I'll read the thread on it if you point me in the right direction).

Your comment about the steering wheel not vibrating caught my attention in addition to mentioning the ones you took out were bent in a way that says someone hit something with them. I get a bit of a vibration at speeds over 100 km/hr and I don't think it is a loose steering wheel column or bad bushing on the column. It's not outrageous, but one of my LCAs looks like it got whacked at some point enough to take it out of it's intended shape to some degree.

Bitsyncmaster
05-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Hey Dave,

You probably mentioned this in another thread, but what LCAs did you go with as replacements? (I'll read the thread on it if you point me in the right direction).

Your comment about the steering wheel not vibrating caught my attention in addition to mentioning the ones you took out were bent in a way that says someone hit something with them. I get a bit of a vibration at speeds over 100 km/hr and I don't think it is a loose steering wheel column or bad bushing on the column. It's not outrageous, but one of my LCAs looks like it got whacked at some point enough to take it out of it's intended shape to some degree.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2408-Ball-Joint-Discussion-Revisited&p=141017&highlight=bushings#post141017

I went with the Perce stainless LCAs which are no longer available. They were the ones making the SS frame also. New ball joints, EU lower, NOS upper. Poly bushings EU.

MML
05-03-2014, 03:04 PM

Dave, I'm going to have to do this shortly. Any chance you could tell me what size rivets you're using?
Also any good advice for the job itself? :smile:

MML
05-03-2014, 03:12 PM
So here's what happened today... Free Comic Book day at my local store.

http://i.imgur.com/N7e9B1v.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/okK1hhD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AWAIvec.jpg

mburshtain
05-03-2014, 04:27 PM
I cleaned the car and replaced the gear shift boot.
Bought it from Redline Accessories for $46.05

--Maor
VIN 15190, Danville, CA

Domi
05-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Looking good!

pezzonovante88
05-03-2014, 04:52 PM
I cleaned the car and replaced the gear shift boot.
Bought it from Redline Accessories for $46.05

--Maor
VIN 15190, Danville, CA

Looks like a nice one.

Delorean02378
05-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Drove them.

gamerguy51
05-04-2014, 01:58 AM
Attempted to put in rear speaker but got stuck because of the dang fir tree near the top of the panel. Any suggestions? Also found weatherstrip for the doors from an old Chrysler minivan at the pick n pull. 2 bucks!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

gamerguy51
05-04-2014, 02:00 AM
Doesn't the old frame still need to be in good shape?

DashEight
05-04-2014, 03:25 AM
I am in the middle of refurbishing my front suspension. I have it completely disassembled to install new ball joints, wheel bearings, struts, springs, etc. My control arms were in good shape and I thought I'd just clean them off , wire wheel the rust spots, paint and reinstall. I soaked them overnight in a 5 gallon bucket of water with some of that "Purple Power" cleaner. The next day they were clean but the cleaner made the factory paint brittle and it flaked off in places. So I spent today glass blasting them. I figured I'd at least be able to inspect them for any damage. I'm not using the Purple cleaner on any more parts. They will get primed and painted.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/AE86Silver/DMC12/20140502_185641_zps0f64cb3b.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/AE86Silver/media/DMC12/20140502_185641_zps0f64cb3b.jpg.html)
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/AE86Silver/DMC12/20140503_162342_zps10ceb0a7.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/AE86Silver/media/DMC12/20140503_162342_zps10ceb0a7.jpg.html)
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/AE86Silver/DMC12/20140503_195114_zps1eb54a12.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/AE86Silver/media/DMC12/20140503_195114_zps1eb54a12.jpg.html)

MTDMC
05-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Replaced battery with optima red top.

SS Spoiler
05-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Spent several days in shop making 10 clear plastic covers for the wiring harness in the upper corner of the engine bay.
Someone on the DMC.com days suggested that all the pretty colored harness plugs were too nice to hide behind a black cover.
I thought that was a good idea so I made a prototype years ago, and got good comments. I'll have 10 available at DCS Ohio
for fifty bucks each. [ Whoever posted the original idea gets one for fifty percent off]
Also making some trunk props for a positive hold open stop, no more trunk lid slamming on windy days. Five bucks each,
black of bright orange.
Sorry, still don't have ability to post pictures, just look for the car with the stainless steel spoiler and goofy ground "defects".

[ Mods, if this is the wrong site to post stuff for sale feel free to move to the proper spot]

DavidProehl
05-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Installed Hervey's battery ground cables per the instructions here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?159-SpecialTAuto-New-Battery-Ground-Cables). I'm planning to install an amp eventually and wanted to make sure I have a solid ground first. Even though my OEM ground cable was in perfect condition, with this new cable the dash voltmeter now reads about 1 volt higher at idle. Not bad!

Mark D
05-04-2014, 10:35 PM
I washed, waxed, and detailed the other 4 cars that I own and my mother in law's jeep (for mothers day) but the DeLorean only got a quick wipe down with a california duster.

krustydmc
05-04-2014, 11:19 PM
i lowered my car ( DMCMW kit ) , changed bushing and front brakes..and replaced fuel line

vps3922
05-05-2014, 11:59 AM
i lowered my car ( DMCMW kit ) , changed bushing and front brakes..and replaced fuel line

Sweet! I hope to get this done within the next few weeks at DMC NW.

sdg3205
05-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Sweet! I hope to get this done within the next few weeks at DMC NW.

Do you have a date to go down, Volker? If I'm not working I'd be happy to help you out.

vps3922
05-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Do you have a date to go down, Volker? If I'm not working I'd be happy to help you out.

No, none yet. :bawling:
I am waiting patiently.

Domi
05-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Eibach springs?

Rich_NYS
05-05-2014, 09:15 PM
-Removed the binnacle & gauge cluster to check/replace battery light bulb.

-Replaced the driver's side tailight.

-Dis-assembled the steering column, preparing to replace the bushing tomorrow.

krustydmc
05-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Eibach springs?

yes !

Rich
05-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Eibach springs?

Since we now see that those were indeed DMCMW Eibachs you may be interested in knowing that the Eibach front-rear spring setuplooks like this in side view before and after:

27012 27013

In this case the new (non-Eibach) rear shocks have adjustable spring perches with that adjustment set so as to create same ride height of frame crossmember front-rear.

ALEXAKOS
05-06-2014, 02:47 AM
Since we now see that those were indeed DMCMW Eibachs you may be interested in knowing that the Eibach front-rear spring setuplooks like this in side view before and after:
27012 27013

Wow! Look at how much the Eibachs helped the trees get more levees.:shocked:

Domi
05-06-2014, 02:45 PM
The look of the car is much better when it is lowered.
I did cut my spring many years ago, but I bought a set of Eibach spring from DMCH and Spax shock from the UK.
Just need to find some free time to install them :biggrin:

vps3922
05-06-2014, 04:59 PM

27012 27013

In this case the new (non-Eibach) rear shocks have adjustable spring perches with that adjustment set so as to create same ride height of frame crossmember front-rear.

Wow, even the rear came down a bit. I like it and am looking forward to mine. :wiggle:

Rich_NYS
05-06-2014, 09:48 PM
-Replaced the steering column bushing.

-Diagnosed a charging issue....(thanks for the help Dave and Dave.)

gamerguy51
05-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Recovered headliner and noticed on the front piece I only have screws where the rear bracket is supposed to be. So only one bracket holds up the main headliner. Is this normal?

Rich
05-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Recovered headliner and noticed on the front piece I only have screws where the rear bracket is supposed to be. So only one bracket holds up the main headliner. Is this normal?

http://store.delorean.com/c-397-8-7-4-headlinerssunvisorsroof-trim.aspx

Yes.

Rich
05-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Wow, even the rear came down a bit. I like it and am looking forward to mine. :wiggle:

The rear ride height will be adjustable over a wide range if you update the rear shocks to units with adjustable/threaded support. Rear ride height is not solely due to the choice of rear springs. I don't know how the rear height works out with Eibachs around Girling OE's so don't count on that photo for predicting it.

jawn101
05-11-2014, 01:56 AM
This was actually on Friday, but still. Went out for a drive through the country roads behind my house - and I mean proper country. Farmland and twisties through the English Hills.

Ran across this sign, randomly staked into the ground at a street sign. No context and no idea why. Unfortunately there was no shoulder there and no safe way to get a photo with the car and the sign both.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27096&d=1399787790

vwdmc16
05-11-2014, 02:53 AM
Pretty random.

Spend a good 3 hrs of intimate windshield time with my car tonight, Sadly not by driving. About two weeks back I had some 70% (nearly clear) UV and IR shielding Ceramic window tint installed on my windshield, Tint always takes about four or five days to fully dry and let the bubbles go away. Well two weeks later the film was not clearing up, I think there was dust trapped under the film So It had to come off. Removing the film wasnt hard but then I had to use soapy water and a bunch of razor blades and scrape off all the remaining glue, What a chore. That was an hour and a half, Next I cleaned it again and went over both sides with a Glass Clay Bar, then clean again and finally a full wax up. At least I didnt pay to have it installed...

Those little freakles all over the glass

jawn101
05-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Aw man, that sucks. Did the tint at least help with the heat?

vwdmc16
05-11-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure, the week that I had it and drove it, was a pretty cool week and I put up my awesome sunshade in the window, so it didn't feel noticeable.

sdg3205
05-11-2014, 09:57 PM
We had a local tech day. 3 cars; our biggest Vancouver turnout ever.

Repaired headliners
Front alignment
Installed keyless entry
Investigated oil leaks
Trim adjustments
Light replacements
1 hour drive

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/12/6apaga5a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/12/pezynevu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/12/qa9u9e9u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/12/2ybareze.jpg

Rich_NYS
05-11-2014, 10:21 PM
-Replaced driver's side transaxle output shaft lip-seal....thanks for the help everybody! (Josh, John, Dave, Ron, David....etc) That was a pretty nasty day: broke a pin punch off inside the drive pin. All's well now.

-Completed the repair on my sunshade louvre:

27125 27126 27127

vps3922
05-11-2014, 10:47 PM
We had a local tech day. 3 cars; our biggest Vancouver turnout ever.

Repaired headliners
Front alignment
Installed keyless entry
Investigated oil leaks
Trim adjustments
Light replacements
1 hour drive

Has been an awesome day. Just adding some more to the list:
- installed stainless steal front license plate holder and license plate
- installed provisional screws to hold rear lenses in until I can work on a solution with Toby from DMC NW
- did lock and latch procedure on passenger side (locking me in only once - thank you Dave for saving me and getting the door open again)
- tested cheap indicator LEDs from china and found out that they are not bright enough and crap (will need SuperBright LEDs)
- reseated upper door trim on driver's side to free fan opening from a lock

And the drive has been fun! Thanks for organizing this! :thumbup:

NightFlyer
05-11-2014, 11:01 PM
-Completed the repair on my sunshade louvre

That louvre looks like NOS - nice job :thumbup:

jawn101
05-11-2014, 11:13 PM
-Replaced driver's side transaxle output shaft lip-seal....thanks for the help everybody! (Josh, John, Dave, Ron, David....etc) That was a pretty nasty day: broke a pin punch off inside the drive pin. All's well now.

-Completed the repair on my sunshade louvre:

27125 27126 27127

Wow. That's a great repair. I wish I could do that, there's a crack in mine that I'd love to handle. Nice job!

And congrats on the lip seal job. Hope it holds up for many years!

Farrar
05-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Put the catpipes & muffler back on. Replaced original fasteners with stainless steel, hoping to make future removal easier.

PB Co
05-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Brought home 4245. Found the rubber gas pedal cover under the passenger floormat and put it back on.

vps3922
05-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Had a really great day in Bellvueu,, WA at DMC NW with Toby and John yesterday.

A beautiful hot and sunny day. I also saw John complete the work on my fellow PNDC colleague's car ("OUTATME", Oregon), which just got a new radiator and a Stage II and it sounds amazing!

He then put 3922 onto the lift and performed superfast magic and finished:
1. install DMC performance suspension kit
2. replace Automatic Transmission Governor with new digital one (really needed!!!!)
3. replace upper pipe between transmission and heat exchanger
4. re-seat coolant lines to properly sit and not stick out of the underbody
5. got my lens mounting fixed with new treads

We then sent it off to alignment. Huge job and bog bill but totally worth it. :thumbup:

Had a nice drive home in sunshine and baking heat....I need to get the AC reconditioned!!! :wrenchin:

NightFlyer
05-15-2014, 04:47 PM
I disassembled the locking gas cap, lubed it up with some graphite, put it back together, and I now have a perfectly functioning lockable gas cap. Also disassembled the lighted door key, re-bent the metal springs inside, tested the stock/OEM battery which still tests at 1.32V DC after 33 years (spec is 1.35 volts on the rm625n battery), and reassembled with the stock/OEM battery. It now functions perfectly (before it was just intermittent). Damn the government for banning mercury batteries...

Does anyone happen to know what the number is of the light bulb used in the stock/OEM door key and perhaps where I can order a backup/spare?

vps3922
05-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Had a really great day in Bellvueu,, WA at DMC NW with Toby and John yesterday.

Man, did I fatfinger that. It is of course Bellevue, WA! :offtopic:

vps3922
05-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Washed my car yesterday in preparation for the car show "The Greatest Show on British Wheels" on Saturday in the Vancouver Van Dusen Park.

Must have gotten water into an area that is not supposed to get wet and the car would not prime anymore to build up fuel pressure. :what_the: It cranked but never started. :what_the:

My friend Dave (sdg3205) gave the tip that solved the problem :bigclap: and I should have known from the start: check the fuse box.

Fuse #7 looked pretty toasted and the socket slightly melted. Replaced it with another 20 AMP fuse and the car primed and started right up. :yesss:

Hope that letting it sit and dry over night removed the last water from areas of concern. Will check the grounds soon.

jawn101
05-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Washed my car yesterday in preparation for the car show "The Greatest Show on British Wheels" on Saturday in the Vancouver Van Dusen Park.

Must have gotten water into an area that is not supposed to get wet and the car would not prime anymore to build up fuel pressure. :what_the: It cranked but never started. :what_the:

My friend Dave (sdg3205) gave the tip that solved the problem :bigclap: and I should have known from the start: check the fuse box.

Fuse #7 looked pretty toasted and the socket slightly melted. Replaced it with another 20 AMP fuse and the car primed and started right up. :yesss:

Hope that letting it sit and dry over night removed the last water from areas of concern. Will check the grounds soon.

There shouldn't be any area that can't get wet during a normal car wash. Obviously if you spray pressurized water into your coil or plug wells you will have problems, but a car wash should not have been able to cause your #7 to melt like that. There's more going on there...

Enjoy the show! Brit shows are fun. We have one up here on Sunday as well.

vps3922
05-16-2014, 11:53 AM
There shouldn't be any area that can't get wet during a normal car wash. Obviously if you spray pressurized water into your coil or plug wells you will have problems, but a car wash should not have been able to cause your #7 to melt like that. There's more going on there...

Enjoy the show! Brit shows are fun. We have one up here on Sunday as well.

There was no pressure washing going on. I had some water going over the contacts on the rear wall of the car and maybe a bit leaking into the connection box in the upper right corner of the engine bay, where all the connections route into the car through the firewall. #7 was usually fine and I never had starting issues. I therefore blame the washing. I will have to have a look onto the circuit plan for the starter and see where my weak points could be. I tried to start the car several times and that might have caused the melting. I was cranking like a champ and even trying the good old BTTF trick to pedal the gas (which I probably should not do) but did not get to hit the steering wheel with my forehead (which, now that I think of it, should not have activated the horn in the movie).

I will have to give the car another buff up tonight and clean the interior a bit. I will check the circuit and #7 again and start 3922 up again to see if ti works now.

Thanks for the remark!

vps3922
05-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Further prep for the British Car Show in Van Dusen tomorrow.

- installed missing rear lens screws (John from DMC NW fitter lock nuts to the drilled out holes and two did not hold very well, so he glued them in and asked me to let it dry. Well, it did not hold very well after a day and broke again. It does now thanks to superglue (quick fix)) :wiggle:
- installed license plate holder brackets from Arizona DMC Club (bottom screw was seized and I could only get the complete screw and thread set out. Had a superb screw that just fit in)
- installed matching four screws to hold the license plate holder bracket in place on the rear fascia
- installed new door struts with the help of my beloved wife :worship:
- trued to install new inner door seal but this friction' thing did not want to stay in place. My good friend Dave told me that I need a rubber mallet, which I do not have. installed old seal again and moved broken part from upper windshield corner to footwell area, resulting in a big, bad gap in the seal :mad2:
- installed new windshield wiper on passenger side and fitted windshield washer nozzle (hope it sprays onto the windshield and not the surrounding people anymore)
- installed two missing screws holding the dear drivers side front fender in place and attached ground cable from hood
- buffed up all black areas with Mother's Back to Black and all SS with stainless steel cleaner (not sure if I did a great job as I had to do it in the garage)

Tried another startup of the car and it primed and fired up right away after the disaster from yesterday. Will monitor.

I hope the weather holds up and that it will not rain on the show tomorrow. I am excited, my first car show as a Delorean owner! I have Dave (sdg3205) and Dan on my side to fend the BTTF, manufacturing nonsense and dope comments off.:photon_cannon:

gamerguy51
05-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Got a cargo net off ebay that is a tad small but fits. Made well, and cheap. Also have rust on the lip where the clutch line runs and can't figure out how to get to it short of dropping the frame. It's the only rust I can spot on the whole car. Garage kept for 26 years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181385420885?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

DMCMW Dave
05-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Also have rust on the lip where the clutch line runs and can't figure out how to get to it short of dropping the frame. It's the only rust I can spot on the whole car. Garage kept for 26 years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181385420885?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Take out all those bolts and take the panel off. It's that easy. The tank will not fall out.

MTDMC
05-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Oil changed.

gamerguy51
05-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Take out all those bolts and take the panel off. It's that easy. The tank will not fall out.
I'm not worried too much about the bottom of the pan, it' s the lip above it. My epoxy has bubbled up and is rusting on the lip...but the metal is solid. Figured I just spray it with acrylic black rust stuff until I can get to it.

Rich
05-17-2014, 01:12 PM
.....Also have rust on the lip where the clutch line runs and can't figure out how to get to it short of dropping the frame. It's the only rust I can spot on the whole car.

Looks like somebody let some clutch or brake fluid get away from them when servicing the car in the past. This is typical of that.

When you get around to the permanent repair take a good look inside/behind/above this area.

Tillsy
05-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Looks like somebody let some clutch or brake fluid get away from them when servicing the car in the past. This is typical of that.

When you get around to the permanent repair take a good look inside/behind/above this area.

I agree, I reckon you'll be removing the tank and doing some repair in there...

jawn101
05-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Washed and detailed it, inside and out to prepare for the British car show in Dixon tomorrow. Looks like a million bucks! Also made up a sweet car show display with some photos and my documents from the DeLorean Museum. Gonna be fun :)

Jonathan
05-17-2014, 09:39 PM
- Installed my head lamp finishers (were missing).
- Put on the University decal I picked up when I stopped by campus a month or two ago.

GS450-Junkie
05-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Nothing. But I did read every post in this thread from #1 to the very end. I have never read a post in this thread and always felt "not part of the group." I was tired of seeing this thread jump to the top of the list every day and not being a part of it. Only took me 4 hours to completely read it..... Damn, should have spent that time working on the car. :biggrin:

Farrar
05-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Tried to start it.

Ended up putting the battery on the trickle-charger overnight. Even disconnected, I think the battery lost too much charge during months of not being used.

Gonna try again today...

Rich_NYS
05-18-2014, 02:04 PM
I replaced my fuse box, followed jawn101's how-to (thanks Jon.) It wasn't too bad, a lot of my connections were in pretty good shape. The white stuff seen on the old block appears to be something that was sprayed-on for protection; dielectric grease spray, maybe?

I ran the car for a bit after replacing and nothing blew up or caught fire, so that's encouraging. I'll continue to check for hot fuses after a test drive later.

One more thing checked off the list, yo!

27253 27254

D Knight
05-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Adjusted my valves. Runs WAY quieter now.

-D Knight-

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 04:17 PM
I replaced my fuse box, followed jawn101's how-to (thanks Jon.) It wasn't too bad, a lot of my connections were in pretty good shape. The white stuff seen on the old block appears to be something that was sprayed-on for protection; dielectric grease spray, maybe?

I ran the car for a bit after replacing and nothing blew up or caught fire, so that's encouraging. I'll continue to check for hot fuses after a test drive later.

One more thing checked off the list, yo!

27253 27254

Nice work, but you're going over budget with all this nickel / dime stuff. :read:

My motto - if it ain't broke, don't fix it :biggrin:

Rich_NYS
05-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Nice work, but you're going over budget with all this nickel / dime stuff. :read:

My motto - if it ain't broke, don't fix it :biggrin:

You got that right, lol!

But....the fusebox was "on the list" so it was one of the first things I ordered. :thumbup:

Running total is approx. 2.5K-2.6K, ~300-600 was unexpected/unplanned for (so far...haha!)

NightFlyer
05-18-2014, 05:53 PM
You got that right, lol!

But....the fusebox was "on the list" so it was one of the first things I ordered. :thumbup:

Running total is approx. 2.5K-2.6K, ~300-600 was unexpected/unplanned for (so far...haha!)

That's not too bad then :cool1:

Farrar
05-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Tried to start the engine again.

Andrew
05-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Replaced the front brake hoses due to a 100% clogged left front hose. Greased the upper and lower ball joints while I had the wheels off. Test drove to verify successful repair.

I also repaired / reinforced the sunshade louver.

Tillsy
05-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Tried to start the engine again.

What happened this time? :(

I miss reading your old thread :(

vwdmc16
05-19-2014, 12:55 AM
Plumbed in a auto bleed system to see if that will give my car more time before I have to do head gaskets. Also installed a bunch more Nylon weave sheath on some more of the rubber hoses to make the engine bay look better, This stuff is so superior to that crap split loom covering.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/vwdmc16/DMC2/20140518_151637_zpsccb1e6a1.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/vwdmc16/DMC2/20140518_151646_zpsffd8a2ae.jpg

Jonathan
05-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Plumbed in a auto bleed system to see if that will give my car more time before I have to do head gaskets.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/vwdmc16/DMC2/20140518_151637_zpsccb1e6a1.jpg

Just curious, is the sheathed hose in your photo still the overflow hose? And the auto bleeder hose you added the one underneath it (and not sheathed)? I don't see where they are ultimately routed to.

Kenny_Z
05-19-2014, 02:07 PM
I paid her off. I took the last 8 cents to the bank today. I have no idea why the payoff on the bank's website miscalculated by 8 cents but I went into the bank just to make sure it wasn't going to add another couple of cents each time. So she's mine. No one has any hold on her now. I'd go for a victory drive but it's probably 200 degrees in that car right now and I have no AC so I'll just go stare at her.

Mark D
05-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Nothing. But I did read every post in this thread from #1 to the very end. I have never read a post in this thread and always felt "not part of the group." I was tired of seeing this thread jump to the top of the list every day and not being a part of it. Only took me 4 hours to completely read it..... Damn, should have spent that time working on the car. :biggrin:

Wow I can't believe you read the whole thing... I was actually tempted to give you a call this weekend and see if you were around. I was out crusing around aimlessly and could have made the drive up to Wausau. I took some killer pics on Saturday at sunset. Woulda looked better with a second DeLorean in there :-D

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27312&d=1400522950

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27311&d=1400522950

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27313&d=1400523012

Domi
05-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Wonderful pictures :)

Farrar
05-19-2014, 04:21 PM
What happened this time? :(

No spark. The ignition coil does not seem to be getting enough voltage during cranking. I'll have to troubleshoot fuses, resistor, grounding, etc. I recently replaced the pickup coil in the distributor, re-installed the distributor, then turned the engine by hand to line up timing marks. I have not been able to start the engine to re-time the engine. It looks like something else failed while I was busy with the distributor (and taking the muffler off and putting it back on, etc.)

robvanderveer
05-19-2014, 05:00 PM
I soaked a carpet with carpet cleaner27318

Rich_NYS
05-19-2014, 06:43 PM
-Fixed my no headlight condition (bad switch.)
-Stripped the interior; planning to clean the carpets and replace yellow foam, install speakers, and dye the interior.

Michael
05-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Wow I can't believe you read the whole thing... I was actually tempted to give you a call this weekend and see if you were around. I was out crusing around aimlessly and could have made the drive up to Wausau. I took some killer pics on Saturday at sunset. Woulda looked better with a second DeLorean in there :-D

Absolutely stunning pics! New wallpaper added.

Jonathan
05-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Wonderful pictures :)

Wow! I'll say. Those are beautiful. Sunsets over water are something else. Nice job.

DeLorean03
05-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Drove it from SEO Motorsports in Melbourne, Fl to my home in Dayton, OH - 1020 miles - in 16 hours straight through with zero problems.

Domi
05-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Drove it from SEO Motorsports in Melbourne, Fl to my home in Dayton, OH - 1020 miles - in 16 hours straight through with zero problems.

Wow, nice trip :thumbup2:

Mark D
05-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks to everyone who commented on the photos I posted a few days back ;)

Henrik
05-20-2014, 10:00 PM

Grinning from ear to ear 16 hours straight I bet.

Henrik
05-20-2014, 10:08 PM
What had I replaced?

jawn101
05-20-2014, 10:41 PM
What had I replaced?

Something inside the doors, I'll bet. Window motors?

Rich
05-21-2014, 12:20 AM
Something inside the doors, I'll bet. Window motors?

Serious forearm slashes, right?

I'm with Jon on this one.

If we're right you apparently didn't remember to first line those punched openings on the inner door panels generously with duct tape before you dove in.

Welcome to the Inside-a-D-Door Club. It's a hazing ritual, that one.

The good news is that, being stainless, the inner door opening edges weren't rusty. So you wouldn't have needed a tetanus booster this week.

GS450-Junkie
05-21-2014, 08:46 AM

Very nice! My wife (a fellow photog) would be extremely impressed....

robvanderveer
05-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Started sound deadening my D. Stuff is pretty easy to work with.

Henrik
05-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Serious forearm slashes, right?

I'm with Jon on this one.

If we're right you apparently didn't remember to first line those punched openings on the inner door panels generously with duct tape before you dove in.

Welcome to the Inside-a-D-Door Club. It's a hazing ritual, that one.

The good news is that, being stainless, the inner door opening edges weren't rusty. So you wouldn't have needed a tetanus booster this week.

Yeah, you guys are both correct. This was my umpteenth journey into the bowels of the door but, no, I got ahead of myself and forgot to tape off the edges. Sometimes I wonder if there is anything inside those doors I haven't touched for aone reason or another. And I'm still having issues. So much for being a mechanical engineer! On the plus side, people seemed much more sympathetic towards me at work :) OK, I made that up. I am seriously considering implementing the glued magnets instead of the idiotic fir trees....

jackb
05-23-2014, 01:10 AM
I finally wired in flux3d's LED clock.

robvanderveer
05-23-2014, 03:30 PM
After finishing the soundproofing, I reinstalled the carpets and the seat (with the new covers). Tightened some loose nuts too.

Domi
05-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Great job!

Rich_NYS
05-23-2014, 06:50 PM
After finishing the soundproofing, I reinstalled the carpets and the seat (with the new covers). Tightened some loose nuts too.

Looks good, Rob. I like your seats, is that replacement seat leather?

robvanderveer
05-24-2014, 03:08 AM
yes seat covers from DMC Europe. i bought them 2 years ago before i got sick.

Starglider
05-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Decided to replace the wheel nuts. I have the chrome plated ones from John Hervey on there at the moment, and they look ok, but (a) a couple have gone missing in the workshop, (b) I want the ones on my TARDIS trailer to match, (c) I have seen a few reports on this board of the chrome flaking off. Decided to go for McGard chrome/gold spline-drive lugs on all six wheels.

pezzonovante88
05-24-2014, 09:08 AM
yes seat covers from DMC Europe. i bought them 2 years ago before i got sick.

Do you know if they are different than the DMCH ones? They look really nice in the picture.

robvanderveer
05-24-2014, 02:53 PM
i have no idea if they are different. you may want to ask Ed at DMC Europe. I doubt that he makes his own, really, so probably they are the same.

djdogbone
05-25-2014, 12:53 AM
I saw this video a few months back on Jay Leno's Garage web series. Does anyone have experience with Archoil? These products look amazing.

http://youtu.be/h3ir3bg0ESU

DeLorean03
05-25-2014, 12:55 AM
Took a lil time and re-painted the coolant bottle brackets. I utilized Rustoleum High Heat Black Paint with a Matte (sp?) finish. Came out pretty good I think!

Utilized new hardware as well. Bolts are M6 x 1.00 EXCEPT for the top bolt that holds the bracket closest to the tail lights. That one is an odd bird that I have to find tomorrow.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/delorean03/Facebook/Bringing%20a%20DeLorean%20Back%20to%20the%20Future/10397036_10152250524623710_1082006991227514017_o.j pg (http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/delorean03/media/Facebook/Bringing%20a%20DeLorean%20Back%20to%20the%20Future/10397036_10152250524623710_1082006991227514017_o.j pg.html)

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/delorean03/Facebook/Bringing%20a%20DeLorean%20Back%20to%20the%20Future/10258526_10152250524523710_686368525015823422_o.jp g (http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/delorean03/media/Facebook/Bringing%20a%20DeLorean%20Back%20to%20the%20Future/10258526_10152250524523710_686368525015823422_o.jp g.html)

mburshtain
05-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Who said you can't do Costco with a Delorean?

Nicholas R
05-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Took a lil time and re-painted the coolant bottle brackets. I utilized Rustoleum High Heat Black Paint with a Matte (sp?) finish. Came out pretty good I think!

Utilized new hardware as well. Bolts are M6 x 1.00 EXCEPT for the top bolt that holds the bracket closest to the tail lights. That one is an odd bird that I have to find tomorrow.

That's not good. That should definitely be a typical M6. Hope your rivet nut isn't messed up. Might want to get a tap to chase those threads out. If it really doesn't work, there is a chance someone replaced the rivet nut in the past but couldn't get metric ones, so they used a 1/4-20.

DeLorean03
05-25-2014, 10:12 PM
That's not good. That should definitely be a typical M6. Hope your rivet nut isn't messed up. Might want to get a tap to chase those threads out. If it really doesn't work, there is a chance someone replaced the rivet nut in the past but couldn't get metric ones, so they used a 1/4-20.

As usual, you were right my man. I got some thin pipe cleaner bristle brushes and was able to clean the threads. The M6 x 1.00 bolt went in no problem! Also, got a new hose from HD like you suggested. Outer diameter of 1/2" with an inner diameter of 3/8" (man, I love my vernier calipers). Here's the finished product:

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/delorean03/DSCF6029.jpg (http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/delorean03/media/DSCF6029.jpg.html)

hillbillydmc
05-25-2014, 10:18 PM

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/delorean03/Facebook/Bringing%20a%20DeLorean%20Back%20to%20the%20Future/10397036_10152250524623710_1082006991227514017_o.j pg (http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/delorean03/media/Facebook/Bringing%20a%20DeLorean%20Back%20to%20the%20Future/10397036_10152250524623710_1082006991227514017_o.j pg.html)

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/delorean03/Facebook/Bringing%20a%20DeLorean%20Back%20to%20the%20Future/10258526_10152250524523710_686368525015823422_o.jp g (http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/delorean03/media/Facebook/Bringing%20a%20DeLorean%20Back%20to%20the%20Future/10258526_10152250524523710_686368525015823422_o.jp g.html)

Looks good man!:thumbup:

Henrik
05-25-2014, 10:44 PM

I love it. Especially, the look on the sacker's face when he expects to see an engine there.

Jonathan
05-26-2014, 06:52 AM

I love it. Especially, the look on the sacker's face when he expects to see an engine there.

Paper or plastic?

TRUNK!!!

Awesome!! :)

DavidProehl
05-26-2014, 01:25 PM
A couple years back I replaced my cigar lighter with a US sized cigarette lighter (the gowesty one (http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4471)). It is a near perfect match to the OEM lighter design, complete with illuminated ring. The only problem is that the lighter itself has a cigarette icon printed on it. I tried removing it with all kinds of solvents, but none worked. So, I bought some black paint intended for plastics, and painted over it. It finally looks like the OEM one!

OEM on left, replacement on right:

View of icon that had to go:

Farrar
05-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Replaced the ballast resistor with one from MSD to "match" my MSD ignition coil.
Replaced the radiator cap.

Rich_NYS
05-26-2014, 06:46 PM
-Tested for vacuum
-Adjusted idle screw
-Checked spark plugs
-Removed dash
-Got into the passenger door and started removing the drop glass & testing regulator wiring.

jackb
05-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Intalled Cruise Control!
I spent most of Friday doing all the wiring and planning how to set up the brackets, and today I finished up the control unit bracket, speed sensor bracket, and throttle cable bracket.
Then I took my Fiance out to Fuddruckers in it. Every time someone stared, I told her they were looking at her, not the car.

djdogbone
05-27-2014, 12:55 AM
The engine is put back together. I officially hate the intake manifold- can't get a clean shot with the torque wretch on 2 of the main bolts...geez, what a chore. There has to be a better one out there.

At least the coolant leak is no more, new seals all around, the VOD clean and new cap & rotor. Now, I have to watch for fuel links. Had to torque down two fuel lines as they got moist during the first start up test.

Outside of that, everything seems to be ok.

pezzonovante88
05-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Took it to the shop to have some upgrades done:
-SS Fuel lines (black sheathing)
-Replace brake master cylinder (again)
-New rotors and pads
-New throttle cable and sheathing

SIMid
05-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Cleaned the drain hole under the windscreen. :thumbup:

Now I know why I had water coming into the cabin!!

steve
05-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Fired 20069 up and yes she turned over after a complete re-build.
All sensors appear to be working but the water temp.
Should I go and replace it?

Steve -w- a smile from ear to ear

BABIS
05-30-2014, 06:00 AM
got my refurbished steering wheel ;)

robvanderveer
05-30-2014, 06:04 AM
That steering wheel looks really good.

pezzonovante88
05-30-2014, 09:02 AM

Looks nice.

Rich
05-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Fired 20069 up and yes she turned over after a complete re-build.
All sensors appear to be working but the water temp.
Should I go and replace it?

Congrats on that milestone.

Yes, replace/repair if you haven't got a working temp gauge on the instrument panel. Otherwise your first hint of a cooling system concern while under way might be steam from the engine bay, seen in your rear view mirrors. Would be sad to warp anything on that nice rebuild.

DavidProehl
05-30-2014, 07:05 PM

That is very nice! Where did you get it from? A vendor or a local guy that redid the one in your car?

Today I bled my clutch. It had only been 2 years and 4,000 miles, but you can definitely tell a difference between the first bottle of fluid bled and the last!

Dirty:

Clean:

BABIS
05-31-2014, 02:57 AM
That is very nice! Where did you get it from? A vendor or a local guy that redid the one in your car?

yes I got it from a local guy who previously did a couple of Delorean steering wheels along with other parts (including a full leather interiors Delorean)

I really like the way he recover steering wheels because they don't look "puffy" as other vendors ones... this is because he uses a special tool to "shave" the old leather and he measures with a gauge the right thickness to shave..

plus it's made of classy italian leather :D

Lenny
05-31-2014, 08:16 AM
Cleaned the drain hole under the windscreen. :thumbup:

Now I know why I had water coming into the cabin!!

I had some water in the cabin also. How do you clean it?

Silverbullet
05-31-2014, 03:27 PM
yes I got it from a local guy who previously did a couple of Delorean steering wheels along with other parts (including a full leather interiors Delorean)

I really like the way he recover steering wheels because they don't look "puffy" as other vendors ones... this is because he uses a special tool to "shave" the old leather and he measures with a gauge the right thickness to shave..

plus it's made of classy italian leather :D

Who is, Where is, this local guy? What is the cost? How long does it take? I want one...

Craig

jawn101
05-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Who is, Where is, this local guy? What is the cost? How long does it take? I want one...

Craig

+1 I'd love to upgrade/refurbish my wheel but the vendors seem to charge a lot for it. Maybe it's reasonable given the labor involved but I'd love to explore other options before making that call :)

sdg3205
05-31-2014, 06:48 PM
Did a wedding surprise for the groom!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/01/u4eve8an.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/01/ujupaba6.jpg

Then stopped at a park

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/01/gyqeqe9e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/01/pymemyva.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/01/yde7agad.jpg

OverlandMan
05-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Replaced the battery in my car and rigged up a battery tender to keep it maintained.

dustybarn
05-31-2014, 08:53 PM
Drove it to Taco Bell and Goodwill. Then went to Tractor Supply to buy weed killer.

Domi
06-01-2014, 03:47 AM
VIN 3205 looks beautiful ;)

NightFlyer
06-01-2014, 04:08 AM
Replaced the battery in my car and rigged up a battery tender to keep it maintained.

Did you get the Yellow Dog?

BABIS
06-01-2014, 10:34 AM

Craig

if you can ship your wheel to Italy I can work out the deal :biggrin:

tom kish vin. 4357
06-01-2014, 11:02 AM

I love your steering wheel!! could he do mine? if so how much would it cost?

Viper Guy
06-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Took my DeLorean to a local cruise Saturday afternoon/evening and parked directly across from about a dozen or so Corvettes that were lined up like soldiers. They didn't seem too pleased as their cars were hardly noticed and my one DeLorean got all the attention. And, of course, many, many photos were taken. I was so busy talking to people, I never did get a chance to eat.

Don't ya just love it when something like this happens? Hee, Hee!

ccurzio
06-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Yesterday, but I FINALLY got my DPI Spec I exhaust installed!

Delorean Industries
06-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Yesterday, but I FINALLY got my DPI Spec I exhaust installed!

piece of cake?

ccurzio
06-01-2014, 03:45 PM
piece of cake?

Sure, if it was a piece of arsenic-laden cake with shards of broken glass as a topping.

Crossover pipe issues aside (we needed to use an angle grinder to CUT the old one out), it was actually easier to take out the stock system than it was to put in the new one. Not a single one of the original studs broke - which is good news because the new system didn't come with any - but we ran into really silly problems like having to reuse the original studs, the cat gaskets not QUITE lining up with the end plates to which they sandwich, the muffler mounting bracket looking uncomfortably close to the alternator belt (which I still might end up grinding down), and other pains.

The biggest show-stopper was the pipe on the passenger cat not even REMOTELY being able to fit into its corresponding pipe on the muffler.

It all came together in the end though, and I'm pretty happy with the end result. It definitely SOUNDS a hell of a lot better than it did.

http://i.imgur.com/G5zGyW9l.jpg

Delorean Industries
06-01-2014, 04:34 PM
stock belt for the alt? I"ve seen longer ones causing issues. Was the inlet on the muffler distorted? This happens easily with the slits for the slip joint. I have expanded a few over the years when this happened.

EDIT: Note on aligning as I learned the hard way years ago. Assembling everything loose other than the headers to cylinder heads is crucial. Right side converter goes on first, slip muffler on and then drivers side converter. The muffler should be centered perfectly on the rear fascia or it will look crooked. I thought a few were off once and went up to SW. Put the parts in the jig and everything was spot on. Ended up being my order of operations.....

ccurzio
06-01-2014, 05:38 PM
stock belt for the alt? I"ve seen longer ones causing issues. Was the inlet on the muffler distorted? This happens easily with the slits for the slip joint. I have expanded a few over the years when this happened.

EDIT: Note on aligning as I learned the hard way years ago. Assembling everything loose other than the headers to cylinder heads is crucial. Right side converter goes on first, slip muffler on and then drivers side converter. The muffler should be centered perfectly on the rear fascia or it will look crooked. I thought a few were off once and went up to SW. Put the parts in the jig and everything was spot on. Ended up being my order of operations.....

This may or may not have been helpful to know, but there were no instructions with the set either. :(

Delorean Industries
06-01-2014, 06:11 PM
I"m not sure if you picked that system up during the once a year give away before or after we started including instructions. Never hesitate to ask though.

Bitsyncmaster
06-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Drove the car 100 miles today. Had a buzzing sound that I think was the back of the drivers door but did not hear it on the way home. I'm sure the door was fully latched.

My running with the deceleration valves plugged still undershoots the RPM (drops to 500 RPM but quickly recovers). Not sure I will leave those plugged but will play with my software some more. Also have some hard starts sometimes. The hard starts may not be related but will keep playing.

Car runs good with the new LCAs and new tires. LCAs (or bushings) took out steering wheel vibration I had above 50 MPH.

Found my drivers side center vent must be disconnected. Not much air flow from that one.

NightFlyer
06-02-2014, 01:30 AM
Drove the car 100 miles today. Had a buzzing sound that I think was the back of the drivers door but did not hear it on the way home. I'm sure the door was fully latched.

My running with the deceleration valves plugged still undershoots the RPM (drops to 500 RPM but quickly recovers). Not sure I will leave those plugged but will play with my software some more. Also have some hard starts sometimes. The hard starts may not be related but will keep playing.

Car runs good with the new LCAs and new tires. LCAs (or bushings) took out steering wheel vibration I had above 50 MPH.

Found my drivers side center vent must be disconnected. Not much air flow from that one.

Sounds like Dave is getting his car ready for the trek to DCS :thumbup:

Michael
06-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Took my DeLorean to a local cruise Saturday afternoon/evening and parked directly across from about a dozen or so Corvettes that were lined up like soldiers. They didn't seem too pleased as their cars were hardly noticed and my one DeLorean got all the attention. And, of course, many, many photos were taken. I was so busy talking to people, I never did get a chance to eat.

Don't ya just love it when something like this happens? Hee, Hee!

The Delorean has always been the red headed step child of any car meet. The other participants hate them because in their eyes the Delorean can't hold a candle to their (insert cookie cutter muscle car here) and has no place taking up real estate next to their version of what their childhood should have looked like.

To add insult to injury, any attention that gets bestowed upon one of these Corvettmoparamarostangs is quickly redacted once they lay eyes upon your tribute to "Hey, they made cool cars past 1973 too". They must witness lens caps being discarded and pics of their cars being deleted to make more room on the card for your ride. The children instantly transform from "I'm bored, can we go get a funnel cake daddy?" to excitement upon seeing with their own eyes something that they can relate too. The fathers who are now 30-40 somethings quickly see there is a car here from thier own youth and not some handed down memory of their fathers. For many, its the first time they have seen a Delorean in person so they quickly begin goose stepping around every car that blocks their path to ultimate coolness and style.

This does not sit well with the balding, pot bellied, muscle car crowd. They gather around each other like a bunch of self absorbed high school girls and start with the catty comments. They wonder how the girl from band with braces got asked to the prom before any of them? It is beyond them how these lemmings could overlook their pride and joy to go gaga over a car that doesn't even have paint! It's just a matter of time before the more daring few of the bunch stroll over to give their 2 cents.....

"It's a piece of crap...probably trailered here."
"They won't go more than 85mph"
"It's supposed to have a 351 in it...This is obviously a kit car"
"Those doors are going to kill someone"

They then proceed back to their safe zone to ensure that their "Please look but don't touch" signs are still in place while you are allowing kids 5 through 65 to sit in yours and have their picture taken with a big smile on their face.

Yeah car shows can be fun sometimes.

Lenny
06-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Very Well Written.

I can't think of anything to add. We should print this out and have it at car shows :thumbup:

I am in awe of some of my favorite cars when I'm at a show Mercedes Gull Wings New and Old, Bugatti Veyron, 1963 Corvette Split window. But, I don't go around bad mouthing the other cars. It's hard to have something good at a show I know how much work it takes. How can I talk bad about someone's hard work and expense.

I've been lucky with my car, I was able to buy a nice one so I don't have to do a lot of work to go to a show. When someone complements me on my car I tell them I don't deserve the complement as much as someone who had to rebuild their DeLorean from the ground up with all the time and expense that entails.

The Delorean has always been the red headed step child of any car meet. The other participants hate them because in their eyes the Delorean can't hold a candle to their (insert cookie cutter muscle car here) and has no place taking up real estate next to their version of what their childhood should have looked like.

To add insult to injury, any attention that gets bestowed upon one of these Corvettmoparamarostangs is quickly redacted once they lay eyes upon your tribute to "Hey, they made cool cars past 1973 too". They must witness lens caps being discarded and pics of their cars being deleted to make more room on the card for your ride. The children instantly transform from "I'm bored, can we go get a funnel cake daddy?" to excitement upon seeing with their own eyes something that they can relate too. The fathers who are now 30-40 somethings quickly see there is a car here from thier own youth and not some handed down memory of their fathers. For many, its the first time they have seen a Delorean in person so they quickly begin goose stepping around every car that blocks their path to ultimate coolness and style.

This does not sit well with the balding, pot bellied, muscle car crowd. They gather around each other like a bunch of self absorbed high school girls and start with the catty comments. They wonder how the girl from band with braces got asked to the prom before any of them? It is beyond them how these lemmings could overlook their pride and joy to go gaga over a car that doesn't even have paint! It's just a matter of time before the more daring few of the bunch stroll over to give their 2 cents.....

They then proceed back to their safe zone to ensure that their "Please look but don't touch" signs are still in place while you are allowing kids 5 through 65 to sit in yours and have their picture taken with a big smile on their face.

robvanderveer
06-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Very Well Written.
I can't think of anything to add. We should print this out and have it at car shows :thumbup:

I'd seriously advice against doing that on a show where you will be surrounded by non-DeLorean car owners. Unless you intend to die young.

Mark D
06-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Did a wedding surprise for the groom!

Then stopped at a park

I can't get over how awesome your car looks with RWL tires and wide black stripes. I've probably commented before, but for some reason this combo always grabs my attention. The rest of the car looks great too. :thumbup:

Lenny
06-02-2014, 10:56 AM
I'd seriously advice against doing that on a show where you will be surrounded by non-DeLorean car owners. Unless you intend to die young.

I meant that as a joke :wink:

Michael
06-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Statements like this assume the Delorean owner Iis a little helpless baby bird incapable of defending themselves. Those assumptions would be inaccurate.

Mark D
06-02-2014, 11:17 AM

You nailed it pretty well I think... I've experienced this a few times at shows, the most recent being this past Saturday. A bunch of local car guys meet up every weekend in the Wendy's parking lot and I decided to stop by with the DeLorean. I parked at the end of a row and started wandering around to look at other cars. While checking out a very nice '64 GTO I oveheard a guy start trashing the my car and John DeLorean. I wasn't all that surprised until I found out it was the owner of the GTO that was doing the trash talking! How someone could own an early GTO and be that obivious to its origins and DeLorean's involvement? I couldn't hear everything the guy was saying, but the last thing I caught was him say 'He finally killed himself a few years ago." I was floored and had no idea what to say. I just kept on walking around and looking at other cars while a few people posed with the DeLorean to have their picture taken. I still can't believe it.

robvanderveer
06-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I meant that as a joke :wink:

me too :wink:

Jonathan
06-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Very Well Written.

I am in awe of some of my favorite cars when I'm at a show Mercedes Gull Wings New and Old, Bugatti Veyron, 1963 Corvette Split window. But, I don't go around bad mouthing the other cars. It's hard to have something good at a show I know how much work it takes. How can I talk bad about someone's hard work and expense.

+1 Good write-up Michael. That's pretty much exactly how I see that crowd at car shows too.

Lenny mentioned not knowing how he could possibly talk bad about someone else's hard work or expense. Do you guys remember that line from Saving Private Ryan when Tom Hanks' character is talking quietly to Tom Sizemore's character? They are talking about the bad conditions or circumstances and Sizemore's character asks Hanks' character why he never hears him complain? Hanks' response is because "his gripes go up." He never complains down only up (to his superiors).

I've thought of the guys at car shows in much the same way. Only in this case it's the guys with great cars (of either value, condition, rarity, or popularity) that never bad mouth the ones beneath them. I tend to see it only go the other way, where the bad mouthing always goes up, from the average/mediocre/boring cars to the ones which aren't.

I can't think of a time where a guy who knows how nice his car is (realistically, not just his ego) ever spewed the negativity towards the DeLorean or any other lessor car. And I can't think of a DeLorean owner who bad mouths the cars around them indeterminately. In fact, I can think of at least one or two times where I have gotten a subtle thumbs up or "awesome" from a guy driving a Ford GT or Ferrari or whatever.

And like was said, the stream of kids of all ages getting photos with the car with grins from ear to ear is proof enough for me. It's like way in sports all you need to do is point to the scoreboard to get these losers to shut up.

OverlandMan
06-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Did you get the Yellow Dog?

No - you're going to be disappointed in me. Bought a battery local at a shop in town. It's a flooded lead acid and it cost me less than $100. I know... I went cheap. I really wanted to do the Yellow Dog but with shipping I was at about $175... and it was a tight month.

Bitsyncmaster
06-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Well I just pulled my radio to fix what I thought was the hose off the drivers side center vent....:smashfreak:

Forgot about the knob on each side of the vents to shut it off....:dead:

RammJaeger
06-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Today I installed my new RH escutcheon that I just recieved from DMC EU. I've got notes and pictures in the other thread on the topic here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9817-RH-Escutcheon-AVAILABLE-AGAIN!&p=145567&viewfull=1#post145567

Viper Guy
06-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Today got new tires, will have them mounted and balanced tomorrow, and then install them on the car. Should make a ton of difference as the ones I'm replacing are only 24 years old, are weather checked, and lumpy.

Yesterday, I removed the wheels and tires to give the wheels a thorough cleaning inside and out getting them ready for the new tires and clean the wheel wells. I went a bit farther while it was up in the air I decided to do a thorough under carriage cleaning from stem to stern. What a difference - looks like brand new!

The steering wheel was showing signs of sun fading/discoloring from just getting old and used. The steering wheel wasn't cracked or peeling and there was no indication of the wheel deteriorating - just sort of discolored - mostly at the top (12 o'clock). I bought a spray can of black interior paint, sprayed paint on a foam brush and painted the wheel. WOW! Looks like new!

Kansas City opened an automobile museum a few weeks ago and the open house will be Father's Day weekend. They will have a BTTF DeLorean on display and mine will be used for a "Ride-A-Long". Can hardly wait.

alexwolf1216
06-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Today, shipping was finally arranged on my car to go to DMCMW. It was an awful process, with 2 transport companies failing to find a driver and multiple broken promises. Soon after, it will start its journey to San Antonio.

Silverbullet
06-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Today, shipping was finally arranged on my car to go to DMCMW. It was an awful process, with 2 transport companies failing to find a driver and multiple broken promises. Soon after, it will start its journey to San Antonio.

Ah.... why are you shipping it to where you live...?

Craig

AugustneverEnds
06-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Finally replaced the useless headlights and high beams. Went with Sylvania Silverstars. Definitely an improvement. I'm actually not afraid of the dark anymore! :biggrin:

alexwolf1216
06-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Ah.... why are you shipping it to where you live...?

Craig

Going to DMCMW to have the transmission fixed from where I purchased the car in IN, then down to me so I can redo the brakes. It isnt driveable just yet :pitty:

Bitsyncmaster
06-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Installed the drivers side strut brace. Did not time the install but it is close to 20 min after you have done one.

Rich_NYS
06-05-2014, 08:40 PM
New tires.....whoa, what a difference!

Patrick C
06-05-2014, 09:09 PM
I installed a backup camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RChdUQAcEtE

NightFlyer
06-05-2014, 10:06 PM

Whoa - real time approach vector interface. From now on, when backing up, you'll have to announce that you're "in the pipe 5 x 5" :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOZk--oZdQk

NightFlyer
06-05-2014, 10:08 PM

Like those, eh :biggrin:

Yes, this car is VERY sensitive to the tires upon which it rides.

DMCMW Dave
06-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Like those, eh :biggrin:

Yes, this car is VERY sensitive to the tires upon which it rides.

Says the guy running on OEM Goodyear NCTs......:nono:

NightFlyer
06-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Says the guy running on OEM Goodyear NCTs......:nono:

You know it my man :biggrin:

Rich_NYS
06-05-2014, 11:00 PM

That's really cool....

Rich_NYS
06-05-2014, 11:03 PM

Like those, eh :biggrin:.

Hellya!

And what I didn't know beforehand, they have a Cobra on the sidewall...YA!

NightFlyer
06-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Hellya!

And what I didn't know beforehand, they have a Cobra on the sidewall...YA!

Everyone keeps saying that, but I just don't see it! Hmm, maybe i'm thinking of the wrong kind of Cobra...

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTE5OTU4MjkxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTc1NzQ5._V1_S Y317_CR8,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Although, I could easily imagine a tire that featured an image of Sly Stallone on the sidewall :thumbup:

Michael
06-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Everyone keeps saying that, but I just don't see it! Hmm, maybe i'm thinking of the wrong kind of Cobra...

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTE5OTU4MjkxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTc1NzQ5._V1_S Y317_CR8,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Although, I could easily imagine a tire that featured an image of Sly Stallone on the sidewall :thumbup:

The only thing better than driving a DeLorean is driving a DeLorean wearing mirrored aviators.

...or a pair of these:

NightFlyer
06-06-2014, 12:00 AM
I have a pair of the Ferrari folding sunglasses - they're in a box somewhere though....

As far as aviators in general go though, I always think of this scene, which evolved into a running gag throughout the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faU71nh6EdE

Lenny
06-06-2014, 08:33 AM

What make and model of camera? What does it look like installed.

Can't wait to see your car next week

Patrick C
06-06-2014, 09:30 AM
What make and model of camera? What does it look like installed.

Can't wait to see your car next week

I don't have the make and model on me at the moment, but here it is installed. It blends in well with the license plate lights.

robvanderveer
06-06-2014, 12:16 PM
swapped a dodgy window motor with a brand new A1 regulator. Very tricky to wedge through the holes, but very pleased with the result!

jawn101
06-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Took a long drive (100 miles) up through the mountains. Really put my new DMCH pump combo to the test as I did the last 60 miles with the "low fuel" light on. Not by choice, but definitely thanks to poor planning. Car took *exactly* 13.1 gallons at the first station I saw, but showed no signs of hesitation or bad running the entire time. Keep an eye on those gauges, fellas... :)

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27851&d=1402173918

DavidProehl
06-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Great photo Jon! Looks like you had a great drive!

Jonathan
06-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Your story Jon reminded me of something I was curious about with the fuel pump and sender combo.

Would the new design have reduced the physical volume of components (pump, sender, hoses, etc) enough or at all that would have increased the amount of fuel that will fit now?

jawn101
06-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Your story Jon reminded me of something I was curious about with the fuel pump and sender combo.

Would the new design have reduced the physical volume of components (pump, sender, hoses, etc) enough or at all that would have increased the amount of fuel that will fit now?

My bet on that is a no. I had the pieces side by side during install and while there is less equipment in the tank now, the difference if any would be trivial. One or two ounces would be my guess.

DMCMW Dave
06-07-2014, 06:57 PM
........ but showed no signs of hesitation or bad running the entire time. Keep an eye on those gauges, fellas... :)

For sure.

One of the characteristics of this pump/baffle design is that it will run fine until you are completely 100% out of gas and then it will stop. No bucking etc.

SS Spoiler
06-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Loaded the DeLorean on a borrowed trailer hooked it up to a borrowed Toyota Tundra. All packed for a 6am sun leave time. Dropping my wife Kate in
Sioux Falls, driving on to twin cities to pick up my son Tony for his first DCS event. Probably dropping straight south to Des Moines, east on 80 to 74 to 70
and into Dayton. See you there.

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT