PDA

View Full Version : General What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Bitsyncmaster
11-10-2017, 01:24 PM
I thought you had to Heliarc weld aluminum.

TIG is short for tungsten inert gas.

Heliarc was the old school name and way to weld aluminum. You really just need an inert gas to prevent oxidation when welding aluminum.

Nicholas R
11-10-2017, 06:25 PM
I thought you had to Heliarc weld aluminum.

Heliarc welding is TIG welding. Now it typically just means you're using helium as the shielding gas instead of the more common argon. Either work fine; helium can help you pump more heat into the base metal for deep welds, but sometimes weld quality suffers. Helium-argon mixtures are also common.

Timebender
11-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Haha awsome! Im sure you will love them. I know I do! Here is a better shot while darker.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171030/30f0e9edf3b95bb550164a07feb21809.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

They just came in the other day, and I’m going to install this weekend. Question- would you mind sharing the links to your updates for the other LED lightning and electroluminescent tape mods you did?

jackb
11-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Emptied my bank account, but 6720 is back on the road!
I have two kids (2 years old and 2 months old), so time is by far my most valuable and scarce commodity.
Rob Grady was back in Las Vegas and I had him do some work on my car. A tuneup, finish the clutch slave, replace the heater hoses and a fuel accumulator line (the fuel line was replaced by DMCCA exactly 6 years ago and it was already split/looked like garbage- Rob said it was an original hose, I'm not very happy about that), and my passenger door now opens and closes normally.

I took it out yesterday to get an emissions test and it felt GREAT to drive again. Such a pleasure.

Next step is to get the air conditioning recharged and replace the brake master.

rockola1454
11-14-2017, 12:51 AM
Hi All, This weekend I wrapped up working on my transmission governor computer. I took it for a long drive with a fair amount of stop lights, and at least thus far it's shifting perfectly! :partyhat:

A big thanks to everyone who has posted info on that process, it was extremely helpful. I made a document detailing my own experience in case it could help anyone else down the road, or perhaps inspire someone to attempt the operation. I do not have an automotive repair background, so feel free to make fun of anything in the document :)

So happy to have that issue resolved... my car is powerful again!

opethmike
11-14-2017, 08:01 PM
I discovered that it is SUPER easy to replace the rear brake hoses when there is no power train in the car.

mrpeterman
11-14-2017, 10:17 PM
Reinstalled the intake / replaced fuel lines / oil filter/ alternator / distributor cap / plug wires . Car seem to hold oil pressure fine, runs much better then before.
Found the Fan Relay in the fuse box was completely missing, bank account is starting to nervously look for away out lol.

nullset
11-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Removed more Hervey junk from my car.

I hereby pledge to NEVER buy another part from John Hervey as long as I am a delorean owner.

DO NOT BUY SHOCKS FROM HERVEY.

johnyrottin
11-17-2017, 12:02 AM
Nullset, why would you not? Ill be buying them when I return so I am curious...

nullset
11-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Nullset, why would you not? Ill be buying them when I return so I am curious...

I have some damaged stainless due to Hervey's shocks. He won't stand by them. He won't honor his warranty. He'll leave you with a messed up car and bad parts.

If you do have a problem, he'll blame everyone else.

You might convince him to honor the warranty - he'll ask you to pull the part off and mail him one of them, then he'll "think about it" and "check with the factory".

I'm not the only one who's had this experience with John's parts. They're cheap, but now I've got to spend a few hundred in stainless repair. I should've gotten better parts to begin with.

I will NEVER buy another part from John. This is not the only Hervey part I've had fail, and he's never taken care of me as a customer.

I'd rather pay more to another vendor who will actually stand behind their parts, or find crossover parts if I can't.

nullset
11-17-2017, 08:29 AM
Reinstalled the intake / replaced fuel lines / oil filter/ alternator / distributor cap / plug wires . Car seem to hold oil pressure fine, runs much better then before.
Found the Fan Relay in the fuse box was completely missing, bank account is starting to nervously look for away out lol.

There's a bypass/upgrade for the fan relay. Perhaps you have that installed?

mrpeterman
11-17-2017, 11:19 AM
There's a bypass/upgrade for the fan relay. Perhaps you have that installed?

After reading more about it, I think you are correct.
I'm going to check tonight when I go to work on it.
Also broke a door handle last weekend, so the news DMCH ones just came in.
Looking forward to being able to roll up my window.

Christian Dietrich
11-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Since I have a nearly two-hour car ride on my way home from work and a lot of time to think about what I want to do to my car I came up with this little idea. I decided to install small blue LEDs underneath the door latch handle and have them wired up to the old non-used heated mirror element for power. Unfortunately they're on all the time like the power window switches but since they're LED I'm not worried about it and I'm sure they will last forever. It gives just enough blue light to show you where the door handles are at night while driving and I got this inspiration for my wife Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker and on the inside of that car has all kinds of trick lighting everywhere in there! I've never seen this done before and it was a pretty simple thing to do as I like to add modern touches to a 36 year old car..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171121/b283aec1891676a09c4dfcaae16657e0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171121/1584700fd38decb1d04def611f4fd66b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171121/a74127d730c0f25408f03afdcf0eb0b7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171121/165df3d6f4f3321c5e27d7d7f2f06e68.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171121/576ad4b95ae5f394b279ce224108d23d.jpg

Lwanmtr
11-20-2017, 08:55 PM
That is a cool idea and puts a use to that otherwise useless plug...hehe. Did you use a special LED or anything? I might do this to mine, since the doors are currently all apart.

DMC-81
11-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Since I have a nearly two-hour car ride on my way home from work and a lot of time to think about what I want to do to my car I came up with this little idea. I decided to install small blue LEDs underneath the door latch handle and have them wired up to the old non-used heated mirror element for power. Unfortunately they're on all the time like the power window switches but since they're LED I'm not worried about it and I'm sure they will last forever. It gives just enough blue light to show you where the door handles are at night while driving and I got this inspiration for my wife Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker and on the inside of that car has all kinds of trick lighting everywhere in there! I've never seen this done before and it was a pretty simple thing to do as I like to add modern touches to a 36 year old car..

Nice! That is a great idea. I don't know how dark the grey interior is at night, but my black interior is VERY dark, especially with tinted windows. I like it of course but I find my passengers feeling around for the door handle often.

Christian Dietrich
11-21-2017, 06:36 AM
Nice! That is a great idea. I don't know how dark the grey interior is at night, but my black interior is VERY dark, especially with tinted windows. I like it of course but I find my passengers feeling around for the door handle often.Yeah my wife or my son would have to feel around for the latch also. My interior was grey but now a custom 2-tone style and in my opinion, those area's of the doors are quite dark and i figured it would be a nice modern touch to the car. Glad you like it DMC-81

Jonathan
11-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Yeah my wife or my son would have to feel around for the latch also. My interior was grey but now a custom 2-tone style and in my opinion, those area's of the doors are quite dark and i figured it would be a nice modern touch to the car. Glad you like it DMC-81

Nice work Christian.

My car is also a black interior and while I haven't had too much trouble with the door handles, I struggle mightily with getting the key into the ignition sometimes! I find it is impossibly dark to see what you're doing right at the ignition switch. Probably what those lighted keys were for originally!

You ever thought about some sort of small LED right in that area, or maybe a lighted ring around the ignition cylinder similar to the same way it's done around the cigar lighter?

Christian Dietrich
11-21-2017, 08:54 AM
Nice work Christian.

My car is also a black interior and while I haven't had too much trouble with the door handles, I struggle mightily with getting the key into the ignition sometimes! I find it is impossibly dark to see what you're doing right at the ignition switch. Probably what those lighted keys were for originally!

You ever thought about some sort of small LED right in that area, or maybe a lighted ring around the ignition cylinder similar to the same way it's done around the cigar lighter?Hmmm, thats not a bad idea. One that could easily be done i believe. Have a lighted ignition ring with a 5 minute timer that is activated once the door is open and closed and staying on long enough to get your keys ready to place in the ignition. I might have to try that! Good idea Jonathan and i know what you mean about trying to find the ignition in the dark!

Jonathan
11-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Hmmm, thats not a bad idea. One that could easily be done i believe. Have a lighted ignition ring with a 5 minute timer that is activated once the door is open and closed and staying on long enough to get your keys ready to place in the ignition. I might have to try that! Good idea Jonathan and i know what you mean about trying to find the ignition in the dark!

Right on! I was thinking along the same lines of it being powered/switched with the door lights/plungers.

I will say that once the big stuff is taken car of on these cars, it is fun to tinker around and get creative a little with some of the less serious stuff :)

Christian Dietrich
11-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Right on! I was thinking along the same lines of it being powered/switched with the door lights/plungers.

I will say that once the big stuff is taken car of on these cars, it is fun to tinker around and get creative a little with some of the less serious stuff :)Oh it really is! I still need the fascia's repainted but that will come. Already straighten out the eyebrowling over the summer. I still have a few more ideas up my sleave that will be appearing in the next few months!

JETS 81 DMC
11-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Nice work Christian.

You ever thought about some sort of small LED right in that area, or maybe a lighted ring around the ignition cylinder similar to the same way it's done around the cigar lighter?

I have used these on keys for years and works great. Would be an easy solution/fix: I just googled and found this listing on ebay.
Thumb Lite
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thumb-Lite-Lucky-Line-90701-Worlds-Smallest-Stick-On-LED-Light-Key-Tool-Phone/401092920042?epid=2255339423&hash=item5d630042ea:g:~G0AAOxyJX1TB0jW:sc:Shipping MethodStandard!54481!US!-1

Gary
11-21-2017, 10:30 PM
Took my car to a science fair at Skyview HS. Near where I live. 54645

Christian Dietrich
11-22-2017, 09:43 AM
I have used these on keys for years and works great. Would be an easy solution/fix: I just googled and found this listing on ebay.
Thumb Lite
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thumb-Lite-Lucky-Line-90701-Worlds-Smallest-Stick-On-LED-Light-Key-Tool-Phone/401092920042?epid=2255339423&hash=item5d630042ea:g:~G0AAOxyJX1TB0jW:sc:Shipping MethodStandard!54481!US!-1Huh thats a interesting piece! Is it bright?

Christian Dietrich
11-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Took my car to a science fair at Skyview HS. Near where I live. 54645Now thats bad ass!

bfloyd
11-22-2017, 09:50 AM
Christian, what type of LED did you use under the door latch. I showed the photo to my wife and she said, "Do that to the car before we go on a trip again!"

Christian Dietrich
11-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Christian, what type of LED did you use under the door latch. I showed the photo to my wife and she said, "Do that to the car before we go on a trip again!"Glad you and you wife like it sir! Here is a copy of the link from AutoZone.
https://m.autozone.com/lighting/interior-light/type-s-micro-dash-lights/765793_0_0?location=

Remove the upper door panel and the center door pull bar where the pull strap used to go and the trim plate around the latch. Tied the wires into the non used electric heated mirror circuit which always has power when keyed on. I cut out the white connector that doesn't plug into anything and it's right at the upper top part of the door where the wires come out for the power mirrors and you will see a black wire and a white/green wire.

The kit i cut off the cig lighter end and stripped the wires which were white and black. The black went to the white/green wire and the white went to black. The leds are held with 3M tape. Clean the bottom of the last row good with rubbing alcohol and I install the light upside down through the hole where the pull bar goes. Its that simple sir [emoji41]

Bitsyncmaster
11-22-2017, 10:29 AM
The leds are held with 3M tape. Clean the bottom of the last row good with rubbing alcohol and I install the light upside down through the hole where the pull bar goes. Its that simple sir [emoji41]

FYI:
If you find your 3M tape does not hold. Try this tape:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=GPMQ4442&P=FR&atrkid=V3ADW3A24148B_53255879984_pla-362716352132__221282308944_g_c_pla_with_promotion_ _1o2&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3dTQBRDnARIsAGKSflk3aTbTMdQHZfNV8CpE e5CBU4EG2-y3HTskhKc-vYHEyB267_PuLUUaAvLyEALw_wcB

I installed mercury switches in my doors to replace the OEM door switches. I had used normal 3M tape and it let go in a month or two. I then used that servo tape and it's been years holding fine.

Christian Dietrich
11-22-2017, 10:33 AM
FYI:
If you find your 3M tape does not hold. Try this tape:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=GPMQ4442&P=FR&atrkid=V3ADW3A24148B_53255879984_pla-362716352132__221282308944_g_c_pla_with_promotion_ _1o2&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3dTQBRDnARIsAGKSflk3aTbTMdQHZfNV8CpE e5CBU4EG2-y3HTskhKc-vYHEyB267_PuLUUaAvLyEALw_wcB

I installed mercury switches in my doors to replace the OEM door switches. I had used normal 3M tape and it let go in a month or two. I then used that servo tape and it's been years holding fine.Thanks Dave! Good idea! Once i removed the pull down bar you can get to the underside easily. I cleaned the bottom really good with alcohol and seems to be holding quite well! I'll keep this in mind if i have a issue! [emoji3] Btw have a good Thanks Giving buddy!

bfloyd
11-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Clean the bottom of the last row good with rubbing alcohol and I install the light upside down through the hole where the pull bar goes. Its that simple sir

Picked up a set of those lights during lunch today at my local Autozone. Still not exactly clear "WHERE" they are supposed to stick to? The bottom of the door latch? Also, you mentioned "clean the bottom of the last row good". Last row of what?

DMC5180
11-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Picked up a set of those lights during lunch today at my local Autozone. Still not exactly clear "WHERE" they are supposed to stick to? The bottom of the door latch? Also, you mentioned "clean the bottom of the last row good". Last row of what?

My interpretation of the “auto-correct” faux pas , would be.

Clean the bottom of the light real good with rubbing alcohol and install upside down to the underside of the inner door latch handle or lever with VHB tape. If I was guessing.

Very clever idea btw.

Christian Dietrich
11-22-2017, 04:45 PM
Picked up a set of those lights during lunch today at my local Autozone. Still not exactly clear "WHERE" they are supposed to stick to? The bottom of the door latch? Also, you mentioned "clean the bottom of the last row good". Last row of what?Lol sorry. Damn voice text! Yeah if pop off the door latch trim plate and remove the 2 bolts holding the door pull down at the bottom of the arm rest. ( where the original pull strap used to be wrapped around ) Look up in there and you will see clearly the bottom of the door latch. Its nice and flat.. Clean and stick the lights there.

Christian Dietrich
11-22-2017, 04:49 PM
My interpretation of the “auto-correct” faux pas , would be.

Clean the bottom of the light real good with rubbing alcohol and install upside down to the underside of the inner door latch handle or lever with VHB tape. If I was guessing.

Very clever idea btw.Hahaha yeah thats correct DMC5180! Voice to text didn't quite pick all that up! Yep, they stick upside down. When replacing the trim panel, left up on the latch and slid it in and there is plenty of room between the light and trim plate.

JETS 81 DMC
11-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Huh thats a interesting piece! Is it bright?

Yes it is very bright. I used it as a flashlight once when someone had dropped their car keys in the lawn at night. Worked well and we found the keys.
It was the only light we had to use. The battery is replaceable but it will last for quite a few years. I have on one my house key with the original battery for 2 1/2 years and still bright.

Christian Dietrich
11-23-2017, 06:28 AM
Yes it is very bright. I used it as a flashlight once when someone had dropped their car keys in the lawn at night. Worked well and we found the keys.
It was the only light we had to use. The battery is replaceable but it will last for quite a few years. I have on one my house key with the original battery for 2 1/2 years and still bright.Damn, well i might have to get on of those but it woulx be great for my job. I work in DC for the Metrorail and there are doors in the access tunnels and badly lite. This would bd a big help!

nullset
11-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Finally finished getting the shocks installed. My LCAs are bent, so I went ahead and ordered new ones from Josh.....yay, black friday sale!

No more Hervey parts on my car, ever. Did I mention his back shocks were so bad I've got to get stainless repair done? Well the fronts poked holes in the fiberglass.......

Don't. Buy. Hervey. Parts.

vwdmc16
11-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Don't. Buy. Hervey. Parts.

worth repeating

Any pics of the damage?

mrpeterman
11-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Clutch adventures!
New clutch kit from Amazon came in. We opted to lower the transmission while the car was on the lift. The Slave cylinder was removed and cleaned as I've not gotten a replacement yet, unsure of the cars long term direction. Lines were flushes and everything seems to be OK for now.

Previous post there was mention about the blue Fan Relay module missing and possibly replace with some fused jumpers. I checked around and it doesn't appear this was every done on this car.

n29we
11-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Installed the new DMC tail light circuit boards. Didn't go LED, I like the original

nullset
11-26-2017, 10:14 AM
worth repeating

Any pics of the damage?

Not yet. I'll take some soon.

Also, completed another stage of washing the car. Because I don't have a garage, my car gets dirtier than most.

DMC5180
11-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Previous post there was mention about the blue Fan Relay module missing and possibly replace with some fused jumpers. I checked around and it doesn't appear this was every done on this car.

If you don’t have the blue fan module. You must have jumpers in place to operate the fans. If nothing is present, but the fans would run, look for a work around wiring modification.

mrpeterman
11-26-2017, 12:10 PM
If you don’t have the blue fan module. You must have jumpers in place to operate the fans. If nothing is present, but the fans would run, look for a work around wiring modification.
The fans do not kick on, so I am thinking the work around modification was never done by the PO.

nkemp
11-26-2017, 12:14 PM

Is there anything in the fan fail module position? If it has Dave's module it will not "click". I can't tell from the picture if it is empty or it has one of his modules.

Bitsyncmaster
11-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Is there anything in the fan fail module position? If it has Dave's module it will not "click". I can't tell from the picture if it is empty or it has one of his modules.

It's pretty common some POs made the fan fail jumpers by cutting pins and hard wired the jumpers.

DMC5180
11-26-2017, 03:07 PM
The fans do not kick on, so I am thinking the work around modification was never done by the PO.

Okay, you have some trouble shooting to do. Was this car running when you took possession of it?

DMC5180
11-26-2017, 04:09 PM
Follow up with my previous post

Okay, you have some trouble shooting to do. There a two ways to force the fans to run without starting the engine. Both involve using bypass jumpers.

Method 1: OTTERSTAT BYPASS:

Make jumper wire with two 1/4” male spade terminals. Unplug both wires from the otterstat located in LH coolant pipe near Oil dipstick. Install jumper wire in the female terminals.

Method 2: A/C mode switch to Max or normal will turn fans ON, IF System is charged and Key is ON. You will also here the A/C compressor clutch Click ON.
If the system is low on charge, compressor clutch does not Click, you would need to install the “ jumper wire” in the AC low pressure switch harness located in the right front wheel well On the AC accumulator.

Using method 1 or 2 under NORMAL conditions the Fan should run with the Key ON. If the Fan Fail socket is empty. The fans should not run, if they do, a hidden modification has been done in the relay compartment. If they don’t run, you will need to build the Fan Fail bypass jumper mod or get the blue fused module from BITSYNCMASTR and install it in the fan fail socket.

mrpeterman
11-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Follow up with my previous post

Okay, you have some trouble shooting to do. There a two ways to force the fans to run without starting the engine. Both involve using bypass jumpers.

Method 1: OTTERSTAT BYPASS:

Make jumper wire with two 1/4” male spade terminals. Unplug both wires from the otterstat located in LH coolant pipe near Oil dipstick. Install jumper wire in the female terminals.

Method 2: A/C mode switch to Max or normal will turn fans ON, IF System is charged and Key is ON. You will also here the A/C compressor clutch Click ON.
If the system is low on charge, compressor clutch does not Click, you would need to install the “ jumper wire” in the AC low pressure switch harness located in the right front wheel well On the AC accumulator.

Using method 1 or 2 under NORMAL conditions the Fan should run with the Key ON. If the Fan Fail socket is empty. The fans should not run, if they do, a hidden modification has been done in the relay compartment. If they donÂ’t run, you will need to build the Fan Fail bypass jumper mod or get the blue fused module from BITSYNCMASTR and install it in the fan fail socket.

Thank you very much for writing that out! I will run through a see what kind of results come out of this.

To your first post, the car ran poorly when I bought it and showed signs of neglect. I've since replaces the fuel system(DMCH pump/sender kit and new stainless fuel lines), fixed the oil leak, cleaned VoD, replaced all intake gaskets, replaced the clutch, new alternator, wires and plugs, and did the caliper rebuild. The car now runs worlds better then when I bought it. The Electronics are next on the list, but so far it looks like all Relays are original and should be replaced anyway.

DMC-Ron
11-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Good photos are your best friend in helping the DeLorean Gurus understand what you have.

Ron

mrpeterman
11-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Good photos are your best friend in helping the DeLorean Gurus understand what you have.

Ron

Here is a current photo of the Relay, the blue Fan Relay is indeed missing.

Bitsyncmaster
11-28-2017, 03:07 PM
Here is a current photo of the Relay, the blue Fan Relay is indeed missing.

Looks like the blue socket was replaced with a black one. So it may be the PO had a problem with melting connections. There should be all 5 pins in that socket. I would suggest you just try the jumpers in the socket to see if your fans will run. But I would also suggest your inspect the work (pins crimped and or soldered) because it's a common problem to see the pins overheat in that socket.

Bill6298
11-28-2017, 04:38 PM
I've got a black relay in my blue fan fail module socket. Is that just as good as a jumper to replace the fan fail module?

Says Mixo Relais 8. Made in France.

Bitsyncmaster
11-28-2017, 06:38 PM
I've got a black relay in my blue fan fail module socket. Is that just as good as a jumper to replace the fan fail module?

Says Mixo Relais 8. Made in France.

No a standard relay will not work. The wiring is different in the fan fail socket. What I think the relay would do is just turn the fan fail light on when the fan relay turns on (no fans will run).

Now some owners have rewired the fan fail socket so the fans use two relays. That may be what your car has.

Bill6298
11-28-2017, 06:59 PM
No a standard relay will not work. The wiring is different in the fan fail socket. What I think the relay would do is just turn the fan fail light on when the fan relay turns on (no fans will run).

Now some owners have rewired the fan fail socket so the fans use two relays. That may be what your car has.

Thanks. That sounds familiar now. You saved me from adding the jumper and replacing old relays without checking for what was rewired.

mr_maxime
12-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Had it towed home because I found coolant dripping. Coolant level seemed fine, but I didn't want to chance anything. Im pretty certain its the RH hose on the pump.

https://imgur.com/a/sV5uz

Michael
12-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Had it towed home because I found coolant dripping. Coolant level seemed fine, but I didn't want to chance anything. Im pretty certain its the RH hose on the pump.

https://imgur.com/a/sV5uz

I'm a big "safer than sorry" guy but I think even I would have risked driving that home.

mr_maxime
12-04-2017, 09:11 PM
I'm a big "safer than sorry" guy but I think even I would have risked driving that home.

This year has not been a fortunate one and with roadside assistance covering the tow, there wasn't much to lose. Having my fuel pump die in the middle of a busy interstate really changed my perspective lol

novadmc
12-13-2017, 09:27 AM
propped it up and stands and took the wheels to my local mechanic to get new tires installed. old rubber was 10 years old and ready for retirement.

https://i.imgur.com/QtuRVM6h.jpg

and hopefully discovered the root cause of why i was getting a shimmy in the steering wheel. right front tire had no wheel weights on it, but had glue residue from where one should have been....

https://i.imgur.com/7tsdxaZl.jpg

opethmike
12-13-2017, 10:53 AM
You could resolve that shimmy with a garbage plate.

Christian Dietrich
12-14-2017, 10:51 AM
propped it up and stands and took the wheels to my local mechanic to get new tires installed. old rubber was 10 years old and ready for retirement.

https://i.imgur.com/QtuRVM6h.jpg

and hopefully discovered the root cause of why i was getting a shimmy in the steering wheel. right front tire had no wheel weights on it, but had glue residue from where one should have been....

https://i.imgur.com/7tsdxaZl.jpgAlso check your inner/outer tie rods while your in there.

novadmc
12-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Also check your inner/outer tie rods while your in there.

yep. they're all in good shape. car's back on the ground now. i hopefully will take it to cars and coffee this weekend since its supposed to be a little warmer than this week.

https://i.imgur.com/wWNYTIFh.jpg

and in all honesty, i visually cant tell a difference between these 225s in the rear vs the old 235s. The old 235s were starting to flat-spot anyways and always looked like they were going flat even when not. so improved look IMO! :)

now to just wait on the rest of my parts from Josh so i can take the wheels off again and start redoing the suspension! :)

Christian Dietrich
12-14-2017, 11:44 AM
yep. they're all in good shape. car's back on the ground now. i hopefully will take it to cars and coffee this weekend since its supposed to be a little warmer than this week.

https://i.imgur.com/wWNYTIFh.jpg

now to just wait on the rest of my parts from Josh so i can take the wheels off again and start redoing the suspension! :)I heard up my way that its supposed to rain sunday. Haven't been to that Cars and Coffee in a while, since before i rebuilt the brakes and suspension. Its coming off the road again soon enough again for fascia painting, driving lights and a few other mods and hopefully i should have all this done by March and today that promotional manager should be calling me on my way home from work to talk about the movie event set up..

Christian Dietrich
12-14-2017, 11:46 AM
I heard up my way that its supposed to rain sunday. Haven't been to that Cars and Coffee in a while, since before i rebuilt the brakes and suspension. Its coming off the road again soon enough again for fascia painting, driving lights and a few other mods and hopefully i should have all this done by March and today that promotional manager should be calling me on my way home from work to talk about the movie event set up..

Sent from my SM-N920P using TapatalkBtw love the garage floor and the wife and I want to do something like this!

Jonathan
12-14-2017, 12:12 PM
Btw love the garage floor and the wife and I want to do something like this!

I was thinking the same thing. That garage floor is fantastic. Just make sure the T-1000 isn't hiding in it!

Christian Dietrich
12-14-2017, 01:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing. That garage floor is fantastic. Just make sure the T-1000 isn't hiding in it!Lmao i was thinking the same thing.

nkemp
12-14-2017, 01:15 PM
Btw love the garage floor and the wife and I want to do something like this!

An alternative: One of the neighbors used plain indoor vinyl tiles (black, white and reds for accents) for his garage and did it for a lot less than some of the garage specific flooring. It looked great. FTT and YMMV

novadmc
12-14-2017, 04:11 PM
I was thinking the same thing. That garage floor is fantastic. Just make sure the T-1000 isn't hiding in it!

thanks! yeah i love it compared to the bare concrete. its easier on the knees as well and super easy to clean. it holds up to a lot of punishment and doesn't seem to be affected by any fluid, even brake cleaner doesn't bother or discolor it.

downside is it can get marked up by the jack/jack stands. the jack itself doesn't cause too much of an issue (slight indentations where the front jack wheels go when lifting any of my cars). the stands can easily cut through the plastic tiling (tho it is very durable. the issue with stands is easily remedied with pieces of wood under the stand feet as seen in my pics. using that, ive had 0 issues with using the jack stands.

its super easy to install too. it just "floats" on the floor and the tiles all click/snap into place. makes replacing a damaged tile easy too.

An alternative: One of the neighbors used plain indoor vinyl tiles (black, white and reds for accents) for his garage and did it for a lot less than some of the garage specific flooring. It looked great. FTT and YMMV

yeah, the other main drawback is cost. what i got (RaceDeck tiles) is about $3 per square foot. so it ends up costing more than Epoxy (assuming DIY epoxy). i could choose from a host of colors (tho i loved my 2 tone grey). vinyl would be cheaper but its harder to replace a tile when damaged since those stick to the floor and overtime the glue will seep out a little from the edges. since these tiles just click into place, it makes replacing a damaged tile simple and fast. and compared epoxy, where depending on the damage, (or if it ever starts peeling) can be a pain to fix.

jackb
12-18-2017, 12:50 AM
Got my new license plate (two days ago)

mr_maxime
12-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Found a 3rd coolant leak!
https://i.imgur.com/zzoS037.jpg?3

definitely feels like this now
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OddImpossibleJaguarundi-size_restricted.gif

Lwanmtr
12-26-2017, 07:33 PM
Old hoses?

mr_maxime
12-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Yep. I already know they all need to be replaced. I just didn't expect them to start failing one at a time as soon as I replaced one.

Lwanmtr
12-26-2017, 08:50 PM
Hehe...yep...I've noticed my car does a similar thing...I fix one thing, then it wants me to replace something else

ritztoys
12-27-2017, 10:55 AM
I faced this very problem when I replaced my cooling hoses. The aluminum pipes would corrode under all the rubber hose connections, causing me to epoxy repair the holes in my aluminum pipes before replacing with new hoses.

Be sure to check UNDER all rubber hose connections for hidden corrosion. Or you'll be like the squirrel (post 1767) repairing many holes once your cooling system is under pressure. :tantrum: (This might be you pounding your garage floor if you don't check)

mr_maxime
12-27-2017, 06:15 PM
I found 2 more leaks today. I think the cold has brought the problem to attention. I drove it home from work and couldn't spot any active leaking while the car was running once in my garage. There's been no change in the coolant level so far and unlike my first leak, I'm pretty certain of the location of these.

I ended up ordering the kit today though.

Bitsyncmaster
12-27-2017, 06:22 PM
I ended up replacing all my aluminum pipes with NOS. But it only turned out the few pipes in the engine bay drivers side had that pitting under the hoses. I had my NOS pipes powder coated before I installed them.

Citizen
12-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Gave it a bath, put Mother's Back-to-Black on the plastic parts, and went for a drive as well. What a beautiful car!

Then detailed the console, fixed the cross-wired cig. lighter, replaced drivers-side mirror glass and refreshed the spare.

Thomas

Roberto
12-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Recently removed my fuel tank closing plate to discover rust under the epoxy resin. Decided to strip the epoxy and there were some serious rust thru holes.
A good friend cut out the centre piece and welded in a new piece of steel. (Thanks Martin!)
I zinc primed and then powder coated the entire plate. Looks pretty good.

Robert
Belfast
VIN#3915

Lwanmtr
12-28-2017, 04:29 PM
Very nice work there.

Gregadeth
12-30-2017, 07:31 PM
I replaced my side mirrors with the convex mirrors I bought last month from forum member Rhye. Removal and replacement was very straight-forward; I used a heat gun for a quick removal of the originals. I took before-and-after pics, I think the difference is obvious. Haven't field-tested them yet but I'm sure they will make for a much better and safer driving experience.

Lwanmtr
12-30-2017, 07:46 PM
Yeah, those are nice..was one of the first things I got, since I needed to replace the glass on mine anyway. Cant wait to actually test them while driving..lol

Christian Dietrich
01-01-2018, 07:20 PM
11035 got a updated Alpine! The CDE-HD149BT is a badass unit with so many optional graphic equalization settings, wide range hall effe t sounf for front or rear speakers, Bluetooth phone connectivity, HD radio, Pandora and XM! So much to list with it! My best friend, brother and DeLorean owner Jeremy DeLaney of 10842 got it for me as a Christmas gift! Definitely gives me a wide variety of listening options since i do drive my car almost every day! Even where the antenna is it gets great XM reception!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/ed0184bdd12613317ed54a0e54f79508.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/aa0367ceb1a3f8ac43c2014a192b5f7e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/8501331dc311e21e5b8ffb09f2d0539d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/556e43f604f2d6a55eb7edb841f3d033.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/62db347a9b1b3184d7dfa9e33722b0ea.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/e460196229c36edec8df2b363c7e1ab7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/5ff20e57cff132f8e025d665b97f47ec.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/2bfeab3f73cbce603c002af1d0c6dac5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180102/04bd7f3858a021893321507ee38e136a.jpg

Lwanmtr
01-01-2018, 07:49 PM
Nice.

Christian Dietrich
01-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Nice.Thank you [emoji1]

Domi
01-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Really cool stereo system :)

opethmike
01-02-2018, 02:35 PM
I lava fiber wrapped the mid-length headers for my engine swap project.

Christian Dietrich
01-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Really cool stereo system :)Thank you Domi! [emoji16]

mr_maxime
01-02-2018, 08:56 PM
A new radio would be a bittersweet gift for me. Such a PITA job to do lol. I really don't want to mess with it again.

opethmike
01-03-2018, 01:56 PM
A new radio would be a bittersweet gift for me. Such a PITA job to do lol. I really don't want to mess with it again.

Second time around should be much easier if it is the same DIN size, I think? Might just need a different wiring harness adapter.

bytes311
01-03-2018, 02:27 PM
I swapped the old o-ring under the FD with a brand new one and now my car hunts like crazy open-looped. The o-ring must not be seated properly to create a tight seal.

Bitsyncmaster
01-03-2018, 03:12 PM
I swapped the old o-ring under the FD with a brand new one and now my car hunts like crazy open-looped. The o-ring must not be seated properly to create a tight seal.

Make sure your connector on the vacuum advance solenoid is connected. Hard to see how that O-ring would cause hunting unless it hits the plunger.

bytes311
01-03-2018, 04:21 PM
All I did was disconnect the center fuel line from the FD, tilt the bottom towards me, put the new o-ring on, and then screwed the FD back into place. I'll double check the vacuum advance. Thanks Dave.

Christian Dietrich
01-03-2018, 05:23 PM
Second time around should be much easier if it is the same DIN size, I think? Might just need a different wiring harness adapter.What made it nice and easy with my car was the fact that I replaced it with a Alpine and coming from already having an Alpine I was able to reuse the sleeve and the main pin connector and all I had to do was run a new wire for the Bluetooth radio and XM satellite antenna.

bytes311
01-03-2018, 10:07 PM
All I did was disconnect the center fuel line from the FD, tilt the bottom towards me, put the new o-ring on, and then screwed the FD back into place. I'll double check the vacuum advance. Thanks Dave.

I pulled out my dwell meter and noticed immediately that the FV wasn't buzzing. I guess replacing the o-ring under the FD fixed an air leak that had gone unnoticed for some time. After re-adjusting the dwell, the engine runs great. I now wonder if that o-ring was the reason why my car always failed smog, even with the dwell reading being within range.

DMC-81
01-06-2018, 06:21 PM
When I got my performance shock kit, the white plastic gaskets that go between the rear spring cup and the shock collar were missing. Not sure if it was a later development as I got the new version just after they were available. I eventually realized that I was missing them, and got a pair. Today I removed the shock assemblies to install them.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55022&d=1515278693

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55025&d=1515279553

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55024&d=1515279363

Other than that, I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild on my daily driver. I stopped by the machine shop and the Hemi heads are coming along nicely:

I can only imagine putting this engine in the DeLorean. :)

DMC5180
01-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Dana,

Please, please, bring your D to DCS 2018. [emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmcnc
01-06-2018, 07:29 PM
What size spanner tool did you use for the AVO shocks?

When I got my performance shock kit, the white plastic gaskets that go between the rear spring cup and the shock collar were missing. Not sure if it was a later development as I got the new version just after they were available. I eventually realized that I was missing them, and got a pair. Today I removed the shock assemblies to install them.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55022&d=1515278693

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55025&d=1515279553

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55024&d=1515279363

Other than that, I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild on my daily driver. I stopped by the machine shop and the Hemi heads are coming along nicely:

I can only imagine putting this engine in the DeLorean. :)

Lwanmtr
01-06-2018, 07:35 PM
I think I see a spot of dirt on the underside of the car, Dana....better get on that :rofl:

Rich_NYS
01-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Dana,

+1

It would be awesome to meet Dana and see his car in person.

dodint
01-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Removed the dead pedal so I have somewhere to stuff my size 14 feet.

Was looking at my box of spare parts. The original speedo has "bounces at 70mph" written on it. Is that a normal issue? Can I send it to a vendor to be tested and fixed? Would be happy to ditch the 170mph speedo.

DMC-81
01-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Dana,

+1

Thanks for the encouragement! I'd love to attend and meet everyone, but unfortunately, for me, Chicago is quite a hike from here, distance and logistics wise. I guess I missed the DCS in Orlando by one year, as I bought my D in 2013. Perhaps a future DCS will be held in a southern state again.

I think I see a spot of dirt on the underside of the car, Dana....better get on that :rofl:

Thanks Rob. :)

Hi there,
I didn't actually use a spanner. When I installed the shocks a couple years ago, I relieved the tension on the adjuster ring with spring compressors before moving it to fine tune the ride height. This way, it moved by hand and I didn't risk scratching the anodized finish off the ring. Also when I installed the gasket rings, I didn't move the adjustment rings as they were right where I wanted them. Instead, I removed the shock assembly, lifted the spring and cup off, installed the white gasket, and reinstalled the spring and cup again. It only took 20 minutes per side.

However, these AVO shocks are also designed to use a spanner to adjust them quickly. I see that DeLorean Go has a product:

https://www.deloreango.com/us/rear-spring-tool-shock-spanner-wrench.html

Also, with the white gaskets in place, I'm sure they would mitigate/eliminate any damage to the adjustment ring.

Bitsyncmaster
01-08-2018, 04:38 AM
Also, with the white gaskets in place, I'm sure they would mitigate/eliminate any damage to the adjustment ring.

That gasket is probably nylon to also reduce the friction when you need to adjust the ride height.

mr_maxime
01-08-2018, 07:50 PM
I changed my oil without spilling any on the floor or overflowing onto the valve cover.

Trstno1
01-08-2018, 09:03 PM

Does anyone know if they make those spanners for spax shocks. I am about ready to install a rear set and was wondering what I should be using if anything.

DMC-81
01-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know if they make those spanners for spax shocks. I am about ready to install a rear set and was wondering what I should be using if anything.

I didn't buy the Spax option but I see that Delorean Go has a wrench listed at the bottom of this page:
https://www.deloreango.com/us/spax-shock-absorbers-full-set-of-4.html

... and this thread has some good information including a possible wrench option from Jegs:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1553-DMC-Spax-Shocks-Reviews-and-Driver-Adjustment-Settings

Edit. I read through the thread and the Jegs option is not an exact fit.

bfloyd
01-13-2018, 06:09 PM
Tried to install those cool looking LED lights in the door pull latches like Christian put in his car. Struck out hard. Got the door panel off and found the right connector to tap the power from. Cut the 12v plug off the light kit and stripped the wires back. The wire conductors are so tiny I can't get them to make a connection. Unlike Christian's where he had a white wire and black wire inside the cable going to the LED's, mine ended up being a tiny bare copper stranded wire and a tiny green colored bare stranded wire.

Looked like a simple job.

mr_maxime
01-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Started removing coolant hoses. Skipped last weekend cause it was in the 30s. It was in the 60s all week then dropped back down to 30s for the weekend. Thankfully, my coworker gave me a jumpsuit a few weeks back so I wasn't too cold. Nearly froze my fingers draining the coolant though.

mr_maxime
01-14-2018, 06:54 PM
Reinstalled the radiator hoses in the rear. Still got the 2 under the fuel cover plate, one near the driver side, all of heater hoses and everything going into the VOD... At this point, Im thinking of replacing the water pump as well and just have an all new cooling system.

Ill finally diagnose the damn heater too, might as well get ready to replace it since Ive already got to get to the hoses.

EDIT: I also checked my TABs while in there. I'm pretty sure I cranked them back down as tight as possible, but Ill still be stressed about if it was tight enough. Funny that it goes from worrying about whether theyre bent and need to be replaced, or if you tightened them enough.

nkemp
01-14-2018, 11:10 PM
A reminder to everyone doing TAB work. Make sure the bolt will rotate in the bushings. My original set were rusted to the point where they bonded to the trailing arms. Absolutely ZERO movement compared to the arms. I had to replace the arms and cut the TABS. So no matter how tight the nut was, the force was not applied through the bolt to the other end. Until I get a good reason not to, I recommend greasing the TABS when installing to minimize the opportunity for bonding. BTW .. this was probably caused by the PO driving them in the winter (road salt).

As I think about it now, maybe it makes sense to drill them and insert a grease zerk. Thoughts?

Chris 16409
01-15-2018, 02:53 AM
One of my window switch sockets was missing on my car. The passenger window switch simply used spade connectors to attach the wires. However, Ed Uding now sells replacement sockets, and I bought and installed one. Works good.

Citizen
01-15-2018, 06:26 AM
A reminder to everyone doing TAB work. Make sure the bolt will rotate in the bushings. My original set were rusted to the point where they bonded to the trailing arms. Absolutely ZERO movement compared to the arms. I had to replace the arms and cut the TABS. So no matter how tight the nut was, the force was not applied through the bolt to the other end. Until I get a good reason not to, I recommend greasing the TABS when installing to minimize the opportunity for bonding. BTW .. this was probably caused by the PO driving them in the winter (road salt).

As I think about it now, maybe it makes sense to drill them and insert a grease zerk. Thoughts?

I think drilling them and inserting a zerk fitting would be overkill. Greasing would work, but I thought instead of grease, coat with some of that clear goop stuff used on battery terminals to prevent corrosion, and thus prevent bonding. Just a thought...

Thomas

Bitsyncmaster
01-15-2018, 06:57 AM
i use wheel bearing grease on bolts to help prevent corrosion. It is very thick and should not wash off.

mr_maxime
01-15-2018, 07:45 AM
I've got inconel TABs, which as far as I know shouldn't rust.

JETS 81 DMC
01-15-2018, 03:43 PM
This is what I recommend and would use. I use it on my motorcycle front axle which is known to seize in place. It is a excellent product. A little goes a long way. Just don't get it on your hands as it is very hard to get it off.

Honda HN 08798-9010 MOLY PASTE M77

https://www.google.com/search?q=Honda+HN+08798-9010+MOLY+PASTE&rlz=1C1CAFB_enUS678US704&oq=Honda+HN+08798-9010+MOLY+PASTE&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3.1757j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Gregadeth
01-16-2018, 05:02 AM

The old filter looks a little different from the new DMC replacement. The old one has the sides blocked off and an open bottom. The new one is open on the sides, but the bottom is covered with a soft white padding, which is glued in place. Considering how dirty the old one was, I expected to feel a slight difference in power with the new one, but it feels exactly the same.

Is it possible the white pad on the bottom causes a bit too much blockage for incoming air? Has anyone removed theirs and noticed a difference?

Lwanmtr
01-16-2018, 05:16 AM
When It comes time for me to get the airbox back in , I'll get one of them fancy K&N filters since they can be washed and reused.

I've never seen a filter with a pad on it like that, seems to me it would restrict airflow more.

Citizen
01-16-2018, 02:27 PM
I think drilling them and inserting a zerk fitting would be overkill. Greasing would work, but I thought instead of grease, coat with some of that clear goop stuff used on battery terminals to prevent corrosion, and thus prevent bonding. Just a thought...

Ok, I'm calling myself out on this one. I think regular wheel bearing grease would be better after all, then "dielectric" stuff I mentioned, mainly for the reason Dave mentioned. But I still think that's all you need.

Kukem
01-17-2018, 10:44 AM
+1

I had a chance to meet Dana this past summer and have him drive my car. He is a top notch fella and knows his stuff. It was a pleasure talking with him and having him help me prioritize things that I want to do to my car. He didn't have his at the time, but I do hope he brings it up someday. 2 DeLoreans here would blow peoples' mind! :)

eight8toy
01-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Finally got around to finishing up my suspension refresh. Took me a long time since I had to leave the car up on jack stands while I was away for work.

New DPI coilovers and LCAs. Also replaced tie rod ends, all in all much firmer in the front and the steering is so much easier!

Forgot to mention big thanks to Christian Dietrich! He gave me some great tips on the install since I had so many questions for him!

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55159&d=1516588587
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55161&d=1516588797

novadmc
01-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Finally got around to finishing up my suspension refresh. Took me a long time since I had to leave the car up on jack stands while I was away for work.

New DPI coilovers and LCAs. Also replaced tie rod ends, all in all much firmer in the front and the steering is so much easier!

Forgot to mention big thanks to Christian Dietrich! He gave me some great tips on the install since I had so many questions for him!

nice!

im in the process of doing the exact same upgrade!

between work and family tho, it'll be a while before im done and get it out of the garage to test. probably (hopefully) a few more weeks at most.

right now im ready to install all the front stuff after ripping out the old. also repainted the frame around this area to help protect it and cover up nicks/chips in the epoxy:

novadmc
01-29-2018, 09:47 AM
had a few issues setting my height correctly at first (all user error and impatientness/learning curve on my part) but now the car currently sits at 23.5" up front and 26.25" in the rear. I plan to bring the front up another .5" and then take it for an alignment. cant wait to finally have it on the road and test out the all new suspension!

Christian Dietrich
01-29-2018, 10:04 AM
had a few issues setting my height correctly at first (all user error and impatientness/learning curve on my part) but now the car currently sits at 23.5" up front and 26.25" in the rear. I plan to bring the front up another .5" and then take it for an alignment. cant wait to finally have it on the road and test out the all new suspension!

55202Looking really good and since you got the same exact setup as I do you will find yourself taking turns going a lot faster and feeling more confident at higher speeds

ccurzio
01-30-2018, 07:40 AM
Not really "today" but within the past couple of weeks. My car spent its first extended period of time at a repair shop, as its current problems were outside of my ability to diagnose and/or fix. (Been having persistent brake issues for quite a while now.) Turns out I had three seized calipers, all of which needed to be rebuilt. In addition, they were able to track down (and fix!) the crazy engine noise I've been having. My guess was a bearing in the water pump, but thankfully it was a bearing in a pulley just off the water pump/alternator.

My car is road-worthy again!

Christian Dietrich
01-30-2018, 08:33 AM
Removed the rear fascia and this weekend will be the front fascia as they are getting ready to be repainted plus I'm customizing the rear bumper and installing lights behind the letters. of course everything will be sanded down to be all nice and smooth show the first process is to cut every letter out and then carefully file everything down then sand it. It's a very risky mod but one I've been wanting to do for the last 13 years.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180130/6911ecbb9fc99ac859ae921266475bb8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180130/08a67f8f426b7d205649938b824de420.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180130/b972a34413615e7d9f04ea8d7eeb89d0.jpg

Bitsyncmaster
01-30-2018, 10:05 AM
Removed the rear fascia and this weekend will be the front fascia as they are getting ready to be repainted plus I'm customizing the rear bumper and installing lights behind the letters. of course everything will be sanded down to be all nice and smooth show the first process is to cut every letter out and then carefully file everything down then sand it. It's a very risky mod but one I've been wanting to do for the last 13 years.

If you don't like it you can just glue a SS piece of metal behind the cut outs.

Christian Dietrich
01-30-2018, 10:16 AM
If you don't like it you can just glue a SS piece of metal behind the cut outs.Oh i know i will like it! Im excited about it! Im using all weather resistant acrylic thats white and translucent. During the day the letter will be white but at night they will light up.

nkemp
01-30-2018, 11:22 AM
... but at night they will light up.

Consider using RGB LEDs and dialing in the preferred color ... or let the the controller rotate them through all the colors.

Christian Dietrich
01-30-2018, 11:32 AM
Consider using RGB LEDs and dialing in the preferred color ... or let the the controller rotate them through all the colors.Thought about that but im going with a cool white color, lime what you see in high end cars that do something like this. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180130/1cc9880475fb060e4ad0e7db3909ee9e.jpg

SS Spoiler
01-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Did this 20 tears ago, saber sawed out the letters,
glued red plastic behind, carved a recess for some
J C Witney LEDS in the foam, hooked it up to my
defrost switch...viola....looked pretty cool!

Christian Dietrich
01-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Did this 20 tears ago, saber sawed out the letters,
glued red plastic behind, carved a recess for some
J C Witney LEDS in the foam, hooked it up to my
defrost switch...viola....looked pretty cool!This you? Got this off google. Even before Google I thought about doing this way back in the day and just now finally getting around to do it and I think there's only two cars out there that are like this but you never hear nothing about it. It definitely does look cool and I see this done with a lot of newer cars and since I've already updated my interior I figured I'd try my hand at something else.

Christian Dietrich
01-30-2018, 12:59 PM
This you? Got this off google. Even before Google I thought about doing this way back in the day and just now finally getting around to do it and I think there's only two cars out there that are like this but you never hear nothing about it. It definitely does look cool and I see this done with a lot of newer cars and since I've already updated my interior I figured I'd try my hand at something else.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TapatalkYou?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180130/719509d435b8546032a6540bf48323fa.jpg

SS Spoiler
01-30-2018, 05:34 PM
I see the middle of my 'o' fell off. need to fab up something.

Lwanmtr
01-30-2018, 06:09 PM
I'd love to do something like that to mine...I just dont trust myself to cut them out cleanly

Christian Dietrich
01-30-2018, 06:20 PM
I see the middle of my 'o' fell off. need to fab up something.So I guess that is you then and I've always liked this picture and like I said I saw this one years ago when I was researching to do something like this and I think only two cars yours and another one had this done because this is definitely not a common mod! Well supplies you to meet the man behind the picture LOL

Christian Dietrich
01-31-2018, 08:50 AM
More completed on the letters. Now on to the fine details with a filed and sanding.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180131/d39e09784596301991d6ffc179ac2784.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180131/838d3c6b1941bf7f40954e9b70de9f04.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180131/6fd1390cf0f7cd1b6ca0a4f55e541ee5.jpg

ccurzio
02-03-2018, 02:54 PM
5311 has been having a handful of starting problems as of late. Replaced the ignition booster relay, and now it starts right up.

Christian Dietrich
02-04-2018, 01:53 PM
5311 has been having a handful of starting problems as of late. Replaced the ignition booster relay, and now it starts right up.Well that good! [emoji1] Glad to hear that fixed it!

Christian Dietrich
02-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Got the E,A and N cleaned up better the other day. Slowly but surely its getting there!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180204/7743f06e40837506d0c053ba8a995a5f.jpg

eight8toy
02-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Got both old springs and shocks removed from the rear tonight. Going to clean up the frame and then lay down some layers of POR15 before installing the new coilovers.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55227&d=1517884774

Christian Dietrich
02-06-2018, 04:27 PM
The LED bar I ordered came in today and my son help me rig it up just to show an experiment of what I'm trying to achieve! I think it's going to look pretty good when it's all donehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/6f6bd3db839d3b513ca3f55b7c3a2fe3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/f9ed77874639c3afb3df03f24a42467b.jpg

81dmc
02-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Finally got my cupholders installed. :yesss:
I had to cut a hole in the fiberglass since depth was an issue...

Lwanmtr
02-07-2018, 02:26 AM
Did you document you cupholder install anywhere? Am considering options for cupholders...lol

81dmc
02-09-2018, 09:25 PM
I installed Owen's LCA brackets.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4617/25305527797_ce637abe54_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EyarMp)
All I can say is wow! My car drives with no more shudder in the wheel and it is generally much easier to steer as well.

Christian Dietrich
02-09-2018, 09:33 PM
I installed Owen's LCA brackets.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4617/25305527797_ce637abe54_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EyarMp)
All I can say is wow! My car drives with no more shudder in the wheel and it is generally much easier to steer as well.Yeah isn't it much nicer when your car actually can really handle that much better with simple little improvements like this? I have the Performance Suspension and braking package from Josh at DPI and with those control arm support bars really makes good use out of the front sway bar and keeps the car from leaning as much as it used to!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180210/9d189638e13924824cc9212a9cc97538.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180210/4417ac39b10920b3d1d5f23fd072b4c6.jpg

81dmc
02-09-2018, 09:47 PM
Yeah isn't it much nicer when your car actually can really handle that much better with simple little improvements like this? I have the Performance Suspension and braking package from Josh at DPI and with those control arm support bars really makes good use out of the front sway bar and keeps the car from leaning as much as it used to!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180210/9d189638e13924824cc9212a9cc97538.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180210/4417ac39b10920b3d1d5f23fd072b4c6.jpg

Sure does.

My drivers side sway bar bushing was actually popping over the washer, causing the whole assembly to just flop around. That made the car near impossible to steer straight, and made the it dangerous in braking situations. Without the aft pull on the roll bar, I don't think that will ever happen again.

BTW you have one beautiful suspension setup! I would honestly be scared to ruin that kind of setup on Texas roads...

Christian Dietrich
02-09-2018, 09:49 PM
Sure does.

My drivers side sway bar bushing was actually popping over the washer, causing the whole assembly to just flop around. That made the car near impossible to steer straight, and made the it dangerous in braking situations. Without the aft pull on the roll bar, I don't think that will ever happen again.Well that's definitely good you got that all figure it out and all corrected so you can actually enjoy your car and be really safe to drive!

DMC-81
02-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Today I was going to install a a new DMC leather shift boot (100688 ) and a M/T noise isolator (108903) that my early car was missing but realized that I need a little more information beforehand.

1) For the noise isolator I assume you need to remove the lock nut for the shift knob and it should slide down and just clip on the square frame. Correct?

2) For the shift boot does the seam in the middle go to the front or the rear?

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55303&d=1518314138

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55304&d=1518314623

So, I went back to working on my daily driver engine rebuild. It's almost ready to go in the car:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55305&d=1518315545

I liked the results of the manifold paint on the DeLorean, so I also used the POR-15 Hi-Temp manifold gray paint on the cast iron manifolds.

Gregadeth
02-10-2018, 09:39 PM
1) For the noise isolator I assume you need to remove the lock nut for the shift knob and it should slide down and just clip on the square frame. Correct?
Yes

2) For the shift boot does the seam in the middle go to the front or the rear?
Front

:rock_on:

Christian Dietrich
02-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Finished all my filing and sanding and mocked up the red led to see how its going to look. Looks pretty good for a beginner!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180211/b70085a82f3d8fdab3294fe48829bb85.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180211/ed6980531fe765b91c36f46e3db46810.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180211/a6d04a0d480a0b467ee7980fefbc5d77.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180211/abd6964067cd030e4d131cf243dd981e.jpg

mr_maxime
02-11-2018, 12:57 PM
Not sure if it got mentioned, but arent you worried about the heat from the exhaust/engine damaging the lights in any way?

On a related note, I noticed most of my underbody LEDs had dried out and cracked.

DMC5180
02-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Not sure if it got mentioned, but arent you worried about the heat from the exhaust/engine damaging the lights in any way?

On a related note, I noticed most of my underbody LEDs had dried out and cracked.

The lighting assembly is pretty well protected in that location. The impact absorber shields direct heat from the engine and muffler. Yes, there is warm air swirling around back there but it is blended with ambient air while driving.

Christian Dietrich
02-11-2018, 01:55 PM

On a related note, I noticed most of my underbody LEDs had dried out and cracked.Actually not worried at all. The led light bar will sit inside the foam to help protect it. How did your dry out?

painterdave72
02-11-2018, 07:54 PM
And took first in my class!!!!!!

81dmc
02-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Pulled apart my steering rack to clean and check for wear, and I lost a damn bearing ball in the process.:tantrum:

Tomorrow, I will use a dial caliper to check the diameter of the balls and order a few new ones...

DMC5180
02-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Pulled apart my steering rack to clean and check for wear, and I lost a damn bearing ball in the process.:tantrum:

Tomorrow, I will use a dial caliper to check the diameter of the balls and order a few new ones...

Hate it when that happens. [emoji57]

novadmc
02-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Installed PJ Grady's adjustable clutch pedal clevis. as my pedal travel was too short due to the worn OE clevis/pins. no more 2nd or reverse gear grinds, and clutch bite point is no longer near the floor.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27971885_10102698813867415_1118771225650646514_n.j pg?oh=b893939fc39fd38a99a3be8c7843120a&oe=5ADB33D5

Christian Dietrich
02-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Installed PJ Grady's adjustable clutch pedal clevis. as my pedal travel was too short due to the worn OE clevis/pins. no more 2nd or reverse gear grinds, and clutch bite point is no longer near the floor.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27971885_10102698813867415_1118771225650646514_n.j pg?oh=b893939fc39fd38a99a3be8c7843120a&oe=5ADB33D5That's awesome you finally got that fixed Matt!

Christian Dietrich
02-17-2018, 08:02 AM
Mock up #2. Still need to make a few adjustments and clean up but its close. After all this is done, both fascia's head to the paint shop! It might look a little off at the top as I'm holding on the Lex and pieces with tape so it might look a little off at the very tophttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180217/a32bbcde1b0b9e177379939cc6e99e1e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180217/ffdd02a7a7be50418dd2c3a87080c95d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180217/742948c77aba0006f3da496344fccc8d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180217/fc9d8f53d9c23aa3ca2cd0d91f87d443.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180217/bb4c48c811b5195183a0da107079c5f9.jpg

Alex Brooks
02-17-2018, 05:00 PM
I went for a ride around town with friend of mine. nothing to exciting just cruising. I want to get my windows tinted I'm gonna hit up a local shop today after the wind dies down, it is blowing at about 45 MPH now.

Brian_SS_TT
02-17-2018, 07:53 PM
Getting engine bay ready for paint....

Christian Dietrich
02-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Getting engine bay ready for paint....

55370Thats going to look nice when its all done! I powdercoated mine 6 years ago and holding up nicely!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180218/aa415898f286dc7ca05affce2b09b1ba.jpg

Brian_SS_TT
02-17-2018, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=Christian Dietrich;231263]Thats going to look nice when its all done! I powdercoated mine 6 years ago and holding up nicely!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180218/aa415898f286dc7ca05affce2b09b1ba.jpg

Looks very good, clean!

Christian Dietrich
02-17-2018, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=Christian Dietrich;231263]Thats going to look nice when its all done! I powdercoated mine 6 years ago and holding up nicely!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180218/aa415898f286dc7ca05affce2b09b1ba.jpg

Looks very good, clean!Hey thanks and yours sure will too! Especially those snails hanging off your engine! [emoji1]

Michael
02-18-2018, 02:41 PM
65 and sunny after 2 weeks of cold and rain. I pulled the cover off and drove today. When I got home I decided to finally permantly mount my extinguisher. I wanted it accessible and decided that 2 small holes will not affect the overall value of my car. 55390

Lwanmtr
02-18-2018, 04:23 PM
Nice. I been deciding where I want to put one, when I get to where the car is drivable. Value of surviving a fire is far more important than the value of the car...which, lets face it, if you have to use the extinguisher, the car prolly aint gonna be worth much after that.

Christian Dietrich
02-18-2018, 05:13 PM
65 and sunny after 2 weeks of cold and rain. I pulled the cover off and drove today. When I got home I decided to finally permantly mount my extinguisher. I wanted it accessible and decided that 2 small holes will not affect the overall value of my car. 55390At least you didn't cut out your rear bumper like that asshat did! [emoji6] Looks good Michael and that what i want to do!

Michael
02-18-2018, 06:31 PM
At least you didn't cut out your rear bumper like that asshat did! [emoji6] Looks good Michael and that what i want to do!

Lol, I might be daring but I'm not crazy enough to take a dremel to my bumper!

This paricular extinguisher I found at Wal-Mart. It's a bit smaller than the typical car/marine unit so less time, but easier to find a place for. Kind of like concealed carry, you make a compromise between ease of carry at the expense of firepower and capacity.

Christian Dietrich
02-18-2018, 06:34 PM
Yeah I was definitely a little crazy coming up with that plan but at least it turned out pretty good and that definitely is a nice little fire extinguisher you got and I have one just like that but a little taller that's in my garage hanging on the wall and I like where you mounted that at right behind the driver seat screwed into the rear wood panel on the parcel shelf and I think that's a good place and that is a good idea to screw it in there!

Michael
02-18-2018, 06:42 PM
Mine is mounted on the wheel well arch so I think I drilled into the underbody and not a wood panel. It was a tricky place to mount since it's a convex surface but it's solid and doesn't move and it's out of the way of the limited storage space.

Christian Dietrich
02-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Mine is mounted on the wheel well arch so I think I drilled into the underbody and not a wood panel. It was a tricky place to mount since it's a convex surface but it's solid and doesn't move and it's out of the way of the limited storage space.Yeah I think that Arch is part of the underbody assembly but as long as it's nice and secure you shouldn't have nothing to worry about

Ron
02-18-2018, 09:05 PM
Good Job!
The best part to me is the unmentioned accessibility. Most I've see are in the boot -- Not ideal when you need it. :cowboy:

ritztoys
02-20-2018, 02:22 PM
The weather today is fantastic.........no heating the garage, just open the doors!

All kidding aside I've accomplished quite a few of 'those projects' during the winter months. Three jugs of propane for the garage heater so far this winter.

Getting ready to remove "eyebrows", testing the relay for the LMS, also testing my Sub-Woofer generator & Amp, powering a 8" JBL Sub Woofer. (everything tested out fine)

Next projects installing 'Angel Eyes' headlights w/luminescence, replacing the original fuse box with new one, replace interior...........go driving and enjoy my new sounds! :rollin:

Bring on the nice weather 8)

Christian Dietrich
02-22-2018, 05:59 AM
I have halos and look really awsome on these cars. I did alot of upgrades and 2 propane tanks this winter! Keep up the good work! I got led and EL mixed up. Also lighted door latches! Really love what you did also sir!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180222/810ce29b763b5e3b9c5e31ababd79479.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180222/1ef5fb1541f44e88a8ec43178792bf16.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180222/e1b763c7a46f32aff4a392f11488f107.jpg

ritztoys
02-22-2018, 12:37 PM
Thanks Christan, Your car was inspiration for me to choose those headlights, since the original lighting is awful. I also installed LED to all the lighting (except the dash), so much brighter!

For the past 25 years I had a Boom Box sitting in the storage area and decided this winter to utilize the drivers' storage space for the woofer installation. It really sounds better than I expected.

The 'eyebrow fix' was one of those projects (headlights out, modifying harness for luminescence) that screamed "while you're in there"............. so now my Fascia is nice and flat.
Because of that statement"wyit" (seats were out) I replaced my dash speakers, the foam on them was completely gone. It's one of those "worst jobs" to do to our cars, I found out I can't bend around like I used too!

Maybe next winter I'll improve my interior lighting like you have and replace the Speedo Dash lighting w/LED.(gotten real familiar with getting various interior parts out and back in)

One of the biggest issues that originally caused me to take out my interior, my Temperature Control knob cable was rusted in place! I fished it out to the passenger footwell and repeatedly flooded the cable with penetrating oil over several days............it now works! The lower cable sheath attachment point has it clamped too hard and it was causing a lot of friction inside.

81dmc
02-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Finished installing the Tesla ibooster and master cylinder. Car now brakes like a new sports car.:race:

Also tested my new Borgeson steering shaft with vibration reducing u joint. With the upgraded shaft and delrin column bushing installed, I no longer have a shaking steering wheel. :headbang:

DMC5180
02-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Finished installing the Tesla ibooster and master cylinder. Car now brakes like a new sports car.:race:

Also tested my new Borgeson steering shaft with vibration reducing u joint. With the upgraded shaft and delrin column bushing installed, I no longer have a shaking steering wheel. :headbang:

I found your video on youtube by (dmc831). I noticed your instrument cluster is really nice and bright and not Oem. Did you post a thread about it that I missed seeing.

Got an photos of the Ibooster installation. I assume the vacuum booster was removed.

81dmc
02-25-2018, 09:15 AM
I found your video on youtube by (dmc831). I noticed your instrument cluster is really nice and bright and not Oem. Did you post a thread about it that I missed seeing.

Got an photos of the Ibooster installation. I assume the vacuum booster was removed.

Here's the thread about the cluster: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13990-A-Modern-Backlit-All-Electronic-Cluster

And yes the old vacuum booster has been replaced with the electro mechanical ibooster.

81dmc
02-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Finally found the culprit to my steering vibration!

After testing both my original and my 17" rim, I found that the hub seems to be not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSjA2-v2TMk

DMC5180
02-26-2018, 07:18 PM
The drag you hear could be a warped rotor though. Do you have any change in vibration with application of brakes.

81dmc
02-26-2018, 07:22 PM
The drag you hear could be a warped rotor though. Do you have any change in vibration with application of brakes.

For this test I removed the caliper completely, and my brakes have felt fine. So the brakes aren't the problem.

The noise is the tire dragging on the floor. That's why I have the jack there to adjust the height.

DMC5180
02-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Interesting. Do you think its a warped hub flange or off center machining to the spindle?

81dmc
02-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Interesting. Do you think its a warped hub flange or off center machining to the spindle?

It's probably the center since I can hear the rotor slightly rub the pad in one spot while going down the road.

John Hervey's loud drilled rotors make that diagnosis a bit easier...

Bitsyncmaster
02-27-2018, 05:58 AM
For this test I removed the caliper completely, and my brakes have felt fine. So the brakes aren't the problem.

The noise is the tire dragging on the floor. That's why I have the jack there to adjust the height.

It could be just a defective tire. You can try swapping the front wheels and see if the problem follows the tire.

Michael
02-27-2018, 07:12 AM
It could be just a defective tire. You can try swapping the front wheels and see if the problem follows the tire.

Agreed, I would look at a tire 10x before I would consider anything like a warped wheel (did you mean to say warped wheel?)

Bitsyncmaster
02-27-2018, 08:20 AM
Not sure what the normal "runout" of a tire is or if there is even any specification that limits it.

81dmc
02-28-2018, 01:04 AM
I have replaced the tires on my 17" rims as well as installed the original 14". That makes a total of 6 different tires for testing, and they all had the same problem on BOTH hubs. So I removed both hubs and used a flat edge on the face to check it.

Well it turns out some asshole pounded both wheel hubs with a hammer causing them to warp on the edge. And I believe this was done when I had my bearings pressed in at a Goodyear service center back in 2014...

So with that, I just ordered 2 hub and bearing assemblies from Josh at DPI.

powerline84
03-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Moved to new house today. Car started right up after being in storage all winter . Took wife for first ride in it up the driveway of the new house lol. Now I get to set up the garage all over again. Thought the elevated shot from moving truck was cool.

DMC5180
03-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Fixed

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/1e4edb61895a4f4a98b43144b123740e.jpg

DaraSue
03-13-2018, 10:28 PM
Washed it, because a) I drove in sub-optimal road conditions a couple times last week and b) some dude messaged our club on FB looking for a rental this Saturday and even though he appears to have flaked, I just know if the car is filthy he's gonna call me Saturday morning and be like, "So we'll see you at 7, right?"

Lwanmtr
03-14-2018, 01:17 AM
You missed a spot....right there

Michael
03-14-2018, 08:56 PM
Changed the oil last night for the first time in 2 years. (still she only had about 2,200 miles since the last change).

Lwanmtr
03-14-2018, 09:05 PM
One of them lifts look handy to have.

Michael
03-14-2018, 10:49 PM
One of them lifts look handy to have.

My neighbor has a detached garage with lots of toys. If that were my garage, I would have a few more DeLorean projects under those covers

DaraSue
03-14-2018, 11:19 PM
You missed a spot....right there

Haha, you caught me, I half-assed it on the wheels and used a sponge instead of a toothbrush. :tongue_stick: The weather looks like it's going to be crap Saturday so it was probably all for naught anyway.

The other thing I did that day was JBWeld my hood emblem back on b/c it fell off while I was washing it. Hopefully that was the right stuff to use. Maybe it was a good thing I washed it after all b/c I would have been un-thrilled if it had fallen off while I was driving down the road.

Patrick C
03-16-2018, 12:01 AM
The other thing I did that day was JBWeld my hood emblem back on b/c it fell off while I was washing it. Hopefully that was the right stuff to use. Maybe it was a good thing I washed it after all b/c I would have been un-thrilled if it had fallen off while I was driving down the road.

JB Weld is efinitely NOT the stuff to use to attach the emblem to the hood. You want to use 3M VHB Trim Tape.

DaraSue
03-16-2018, 01:54 AM
JB Weld is efinitely NOT the stuff to use to attach the emblem to the hood. You want to use 3M VHB Trim Tape.

Uh oh. Is it going to damage it?

DMC5180
03-16-2018, 02:02 AM

Did you remove all the old adhesive tape from the back of the emblem before applying the JB weld?

DaraSue
03-16-2018, 02:21 PM
Did you remove all the old adhesive tape from the back of the emblem before applying the JB weld?

Not exactly. :nervous:

Patrick C
03-17-2018, 10:50 AM

Only if someone ever tries to remove it to re-grain the hood, repaint the emblem, etc.

The stainless will likely be damaged getting it off. Or if it falls off and the JB Weld still stays on the stainless, that will be a headache as well.

DaraSue
03-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Only if someone ever tries to remove it to re-grain the hood, repaint the emblem, etc.

The stainless will likely be damaged getting it off. Or if it falls off and the JB Weld still stays on the stainless, that will be a headache as well.

Ah. In the moment I just wanted to stick that sucker on so it would never fall off again. Mission accomplished, I guess. :banghead:

eight8toy
03-18-2018, 06:50 PM
Changed the oil and installed new alternator thanks to the DMCH 10% off sale!

Filmed a before and after with accessories on and was nice to see the difference with the needle staying above 13 now at idle as it used to dip down to the yellow line before sitting in traffic with a high load running through the system.

Does anyone still buy the old Motorola ones? Wondering if I should list it on this site.

Christian Dietrich
03-18-2018, 08:15 PM
Its nice to have new Mineral Grey Metallic paint on the bumpers after having 36 yr old dead paint! Now putting everything back on and after 14 yrs of ownership, the car will be restored.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/cb241b92f6c9b039c80988ffc3fc17b7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/d85636edeb849b4f52351f644aa7ccbd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/35e25dfbfd0974aa8c62133cb509b801.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/4ec6262cc0e88e51422d22adaef5af89.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/27c7ecd99652bd90d8eb9b1cae13feb4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/83e97c79c09474f34dc0bc4cec985535.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/6e39bbdf9b63ee95701da1530e452ca3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/ffd28a367cace3eb8f2527cf116c5ff1.jpg

Lwanmtr
03-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Looks good :thumbup:

DMCMW Dave
03-19-2018, 01:00 AM
It's been a busy two years for Julee and I since "retirement". I haven't done much car work, other than fixing my kid's cars and a few minor jobs giving Mike a hand at DMC. So - found some time to work on my DeLorean. I hope to drive it more this year than the few hundred miles I put on it in the last couple years.

I'd collected several of Dave M (Bitsyncmaster)'s electronic gadgets over the past several years but never got a chance to install them on my own car.

Finally:
1 - Solid State RPM Relay
2 - Electronic Idle ECU
3 - LED Console lighting panel
All very impressive products.

And - a set of convex/split mirrors from Tom N in Poland that I've probably had on my shelf since 2006.

Also replaced a couple of rusty side marker sockets and finished the LED conversion, changed some really clean 2-year old oil, replaced a sticky seat belt, and gave the underside of the car a good inspection and detailing.

Spring is just about here! Time to go get some fresh gas.

Bitsyncmaster
03-19-2018, 05:24 AM
I built a tester circuit so I can test OEM units that use the ignition pulse. The OEM ignition circuits use an AC coupled circuit that requires greater than a 12 volt signal and my signal generator could not go above 12 volts.

I tested one OEM RPM relay and that required a 28 volts ignition signal to get it working.

I tested one of Hervey's RPM relays and it may have a problem. It would switch the relay on but it would switch on and off continuously. My tester puts out a one ms pulse every 26 ms (equal to 775 RPM).

Christian Dietrich
03-19-2018, 05:56 AM
Looks good [emoji106]Thanks Lwanmtr! Cant wait to finish up the rear, paint the grill and start driving again.

dodint
03-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Installed PJGrady door lifters, now the doors go all the way up, fantastic. Only the drivers side was sagging and not by much, but enough that I would have to nudge it up the rest of the way. I figure my first year with the car it would be nice to have it's most distinctive feature working correctly.

I did the install alone by using a bungee, seemed safer than using a post to hold the door up, as with the bungee I could manipulate the door without fear of the post sliding out.

The differential hanging in the background (E46 BMW) is safely away from the DMC, not hanging above it as perspective may imply. ;)

Lwanmtr
03-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Using a bungee is a clever idea...when I replaced my struts my car was sitting outside and i didnt have anything long enough to hold the door up...so I had to hold the door open while I did it.

Mark D
03-21-2018, 12:24 AM
It's been a busy two years for Julee and I since "retirement". I haven't done much car work, other than fixing my kid's cars and a few minor jobs giving Mike a hand at DMC. So - found some time to work on my DeLorean. I hope to drive it more this year than the few hundred miles I put on it in the last couple years.

I'd collected several of Dave M (Bitsyncmaster)'s electronic gadgets over the past several years but never got a chance to install them on my own car.

Finally:
1 - Solid State RPM Relay
2 - Electronic Idle ECU
3 - LED Console lighting panel
All very impressive products.

And - a set of convex/split mirrors from Tom N in Poland that I've probably had on my shelf since 2006.

Also replaced a couple of rusty side marker sockets and finished the LED conversion, changed some really clean 2-year old oil, replaced a sticky seat belt, and gave the underside of the car a good inspection and detailing.

Spring is just about here! Time to go get some fresh gas.

Dave, I'm so glad to hear you've been able to spend some time enjoying your car! After all the years of fixing other people's DeLoreans and the hours and hours of troubleshooting help it must be nice to wrench on your own car for a change. I hope you're enjoying retirement and all the extra time you have for family and friends as well. :)

bfloyd
03-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Finally installed my wide side stripe kit I got from John Hervey today. I actually like them. My car has a date next weekend in front of a movie theatre for the premiere of Ready Player One on both Friday & Saturday nights, and my 17 year old son is taking it to his Senior Prom the following weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/NZSDvHGl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0SX2NSnl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LjefcDEl.jpg

Lwanmtr
03-24-2018, 07:22 PM
Looks nice

Christian Dietrich
03-24-2018, 09:40 PM
Finally installed my wide side stripe kit I got from John Hervey today. I actually like them. My car has a date next weekend in front of a movie theatre for the premiere of Ready Player One on both Friday & Saturday nights, and my 17 year old son is taking it to his Senior Prom the following weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/NZSDvHGl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0SX2NSnl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LjefcDEl.jpgI got that same kit from my wife for Christmas a couple years ago and she installed it on my car and my son helped her and my car is got a date next weekend also with a few other DeLorean cars for our car club. We at the Tri-State DeLorean got invited by the Alamo movie theater in Winchesterhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180325/11b9d19472342b73fdf6fd4f288a1ce3.jpg

eight8toy
03-25-2018, 09:43 AM
I love my wide stripes too!

Took off my binnacle yesterday. My right turn signal dash indicator never worked since I got the car so replaced both with some spare LED bulbs I had lying around.

Christian Dietrich
03-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Got the white acrylic light panels installed behind the lettering and next is time to install the dots in the letters that take them. Everything should be ready for the Ready Player One Premiere this coming weekend as our DeLorean car club will be featured there!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180325/c65bd246d1302f857def15202ccd5040.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180325/26af2ae96422e36d677be781abb6cc89.jpg

Christian Dietrich
03-29-2018, 07:43 PM
Letter dots installed and grill is painted. Tomorrow reinstalling! This has been a long project and the most deep custom stuff i ever done!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180329/ac44aa867bd3128566483f9dc89b5ef6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180329/ac239c127f768f00a1a754206936afed.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180329/ad037ab19f275ed315c0424c32aabf95.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180329/30b6a459ea8a12ba2c5c696979184547.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180329/38980bab5524a52d0d425c388bd863ee.jpg

Lwanmtr
03-29-2018, 08:17 PM
Very nice work. Definately more than Id be comfortable doing.

Christian Dietrich
03-29-2018, 08:22 PM
Very nice work. Definately more than Id be comfortable doing.Thank you very much! The most tedious work i've ever done.

dodint
03-29-2018, 11:37 PM
Had a couple minutes so I did some odd jobs.
Replaced the bonnet and louver gas struts.
Finally got around to removing the old NY inspection sticker, DOA sticker, Flux Capacitor sticker, and repro QAC sticker someone installed in the sightline between me and the side mirror. Took a bit to get all the residue off. All clean now.

Lough Shore Man
04-06-2018, 01:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJk0tlK4fZs

DMC-81
04-06-2018, 02:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJk0tlK4fZs

Nice!! I laughed at the Warning...:)

powerline84
04-06-2018, 02:46 PM

New shoes

Christian Dietrich
04-06-2018, 10:26 PM

New shoesLove thoss dark grey kicks! I havs the machine face wheels. Never cared for the later light grey

Christian Dietrich
04-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Finally finished my 14 year restomod build! I have a mile long list and receipts of everything since i bought 11035 in 2004. Now time to rack up the miles!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/3ce7928e743bd4b952517ee87e501ce9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/69dba6f22696ec87bb34225347ca4568.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/71178a66195a038bbda856d9cc2c5b79.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/d58bdb32e617ec60b918e422c147e126.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/3e1d5ee816aa3df66010c618ca2f7512.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/cd01fad4ae93eb7ba5e113eb9e3aa3ed.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/a94b99a57bc740b152d989ddc505c978.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/b21a50904d48cb5bf0664ff2f4531e7b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/38e289ef7eecca10e1bb07dd128471ac.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/13b4250747d4264c4045e579191f4f13.jpg

Lwanmtr
04-07-2018, 12:17 AM
Awesome. Looks really nice too and the lighted bumper letters turned out good.

Christian Dietrich
04-07-2018, 06:41 AM
Awesome. Looks really nice too and the lighted bumper letters turned out good.Thanks man! That bumper was the most tedious and frustrating part especially doing it all by dremel and files. If i get D #2 one day, i wont do this again lol

Lwanmtr
04-07-2018, 06:49 AM
So, I guess that means you're not gonna volunteer to do mine? hehe

Christian Dietrich
04-07-2018, 07:32 AM
So, I guess that means you're not gonna volunteer to do mine? heheLol! If you don't mind waiting a little while because that stuff really takes some time it carefully try to cut inside the lines and not go too far lol

DavidProehl
04-11-2018, 10:02 PM
This is a pretty awesome product. What is not to love about automatically opening doors? Up until recently I thought I needed to make wiring modifications such as taping into or cutting into original harness wires. By creating a couple Y splitters to feed signals to and from the control unit, this is entirely possible without any modifications to the OEM harness. If you are at all considering this update, stop thinking and do it.

Toby from DeLorean Parts Northwest was a great help on this as well, assisting with troubleshooting my sticky door seals, couldn't have done it without his guidance!

Here is a video in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDsrkte5vjI

Installed:

One of two extensions I made to have easy access to the wire used to power the actuator:

Michael
04-11-2018, 10:14 PM
This is a pretty awesome product. What is not to love about automatically opening doors? Up until recently I thought I needed to make wiring modifications such as taping into or cutting into original harness wires. By creating a couple Y splitters to feed signals to and from the control unit, this is entirely possible without any modifications to the OEM harness. If you are at all considering this update, stop thinking and do it.

Toby from DeLorean Parts Northwest was a great help on this as well, assisting with troubleshooting my sticky door seals, couldn't have done it without his guidance!

Here is a video in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDsrkte5vjI

Installed:

One of two extensions I made to have easy access to the wire used to power the actuator:

The Wings-A-Loft has got to take the top spot for the best mod for your DeLorean. I don't know how the new ones are, but mine circa 2011(ish) has two options. One key always opens the driver door but you have a choice with the second, you can either open both at once or just the passenger door. I chose both at once since I rarely need to get into the right side only, and it looks so cool when my wife and I are walking to my car and I pop both doors at once. I feel like so kind of theme music should play.

DavidProehl
04-11-2018, 10:27 PM
Yes, it is still setup the same way, and that is how mine is wired. It makes a lot of sense. I almost never would want to open the passenger door without the driver's door so they may as well be linked together. The driver's door is lagging behind the passenger door because it is still sticking on the seals, but I've spent enough time messing with it for one night.

Michael
04-11-2018, 10:38 PM
Yes, it is still setup the same way, and that is how mine is wired. It makes a lot of sense. I almost never would want to open the passenger door without the driver's door so they may as well be linked together. The driver's door is lagging behind the passenger door because it is still sticking on the seals, but I've spent enough time messing with it for one night.

A little silicone or rubber dressing should do the trick.

DavidProehl
04-11-2018, 10:59 PM
A little silicone or rubber dressing should do the trick.
I've tried some Prestone silicone spray, but its not the stuff Toby recommends (he claims LPS brand works better). I'll play with it some more tomorrow to see if I can get it to work better.

Farrar
04-11-2018, 11:08 PM
A few days late to post this, but on Sunday I drove #2613 home for the first time in over two years. :)

DMC5180
04-11-2018, 11:40 PM
I've tried some Prestone silicone spray, but its not the stuff Toby recommends (he claims LPS brand works better). I'll play with it some more tomorrow to see if I can get it to work better.

You could just replace the seals with the small bead profile ones from DeloreanGo. I did that last spring, no more seal dragging, finally.

DMC-81
04-12-2018, 06:48 AM
You could just replace the seals with the small bead profile ones from DeloreanGo. I did that last spring, no more seal dragging, finally.

I agree with this. I saw the DeLoreanGo seals in action on another DCF member's car and they worked good.

Also, I struggled with sticking inner door seals even with with new DMC circa 2015? seals. I tried a few silicone products without lasting success and thought it was an issue with my doors. I ended up replacing them with their new redesigned versions (redesigned in 2016), and man what a difference. No more sticking/dragging seals.

Here's an explanation on the revision:
http://store.delorean.com/p-9440-inner-door-seal.aspx

So you have options on this issue. Isn't it a great time to own a DeLorean! :)

iflights
04-13-2018, 01:56 PM
I agree with this. I saw the DeLoreanGo seals in action on another DCF member's car and they worked good.

Also, I struggled with sticking inner door seals even with with new DMC circa 2015? seals. I tried a few silicone products without lasting success and thought it was an issue with my doors. I ended up replacing them with their new redesigned versions (redesigned in 2016), and man what a difference. No more sticking/dragging seals.

Here's an explanation on the revision:
http://store.delorean.com/p-9440-inner-door-seal.aspx

So you have options on this issue. Isn't it a great time to own a DeLorean! :)

Can someone point me to which inner door seal on DeloreanGo is recommended here? They have a "Europe" version, as well as a "British" version. Part #'s 110044 and 110044A respectively.

Thanks
Steve

DavidProehl
04-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Can someone point me to which inner door seal on DeloreanGo is recommended here? They have a "Europe" version, as well as a "British" version. Part #'s 110044 and 110044A respectively.

Thanks
Steve

+1, and thanks for the door seal change suggestions! I think I'll be doing this. I spent a couple hours playing with my seals - removing, reinstalling, bending, lubricating, fine tuning specific sections - in order to get it to work somewhat regularly. Of course the doors have 0 trouble opening with the seals off.

Between the DMCH and DeLoreanGo seals does anyone have thoughts on which has the least drag?

DMC5180
04-13-2018, 05:27 PM
Between the DMCH and DeLoreanGo seals does anyone have thoughts on which has the least drag?

David,

Last spring when I first heard about the DeloreanGo seal, I made a quick decision to buy them just before a car show in early June and the DMCMW open house 2 weeks later. While at the Open House event, I found out about the DMCH (Factory change) design and that they had just had it manufactured to the new shape profile. I asked if they had the new seal on hand (they did) and I could take a quick look at it. I wanted to see what the new profile looked like. Much to my surprise I didn’t see a significant difference from the previous version. That said, I did not have my Old recently removed seals with to compare. I’ll have to take Dana’s word that the new design fixed his seal drag issues, I assume he applied some silicone dressing too for good measure.

A year later and my trouble spots are free of any kind of drag issues. This is not too say that the seal doesn’t drag at all. It does in a couple spots (B-pillars) but very lightly. I could probably fix that by sanding the face of the underbody seal flange back about 1/16”.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180413/475337ba9fbfa2e287c2c6e7f9db8285.jpg

Aft door trim just brushes seal on both doors.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180413/d0669ff7a6c5f6e28fc2843a169c83c3.jpg

DavidProehl
04-13-2018, 05:59 PM
They look great, thanks for the photos and the review! So great to have options, this looks like a solid one!

DMC-81
04-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Yes, those look great.:thumbup:

As for the new DMC ones, I noticed that they had a shorter "wipe" than the older version and it was moved outward. Also, the drainage holes were moved to the outside. A nice touch was the company stamp in the rubber as shown.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54622&d=1511210648

It's important to seat the seal fully on the channel. A small rubber mallet helped with this. I did apply a silicone dressing after installation to the seal and where it contacts the door, as recommended. Then I closed the doors and let the car sit outside in the warm sun for a couple hours to let them mold in as much as possible.

DavidProehl
04-13-2018, 08:51 PM
Yes, those look great.:thumbup:

As for the new DMC ones, I noticed that they had a shorter "wipe" than the older version and it was moved outward. Also, the drainage holes were moved to the outside. A nice touch was the company stamp in the rubber as shown.

It's important to seat the seal fully on the channel. A small rubber mallet helped with this. I did apply a silicone dressing after installation to the seal and where it contacts the door, as recommended. Then I closed the doors and let the car sit outside in the warm sun for a couple hours to let them mold in as much as possible.

Do you have any photos of them installed, specifically close ups near the roof? I'd be interested in seeing how much the bend outward away from the opening of the door.

DMC-81
04-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Do you have any photos of them installed, specifically close ups near the roof? I'd be interested in seeing how much the bend outward away from the opening of the door.

Sure. Here you go...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54629&d=1511211617

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54628&d=1511211476

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54627&d=1511211372

Let me know if you need more specific shots.

DavidProehl
04-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Thanks! Yes, that looks great. I just wanted to get a feeling for how much they might brush up against the door trim pieces. Looks like they are away like they need to be. My seals look like black rubber hose glued onto a plastic strip, nothing like this.

DMC5180
04-13-2018, 09:23 PM
They look great, thanks for the photos and the review! So great to have options, this looks like a solid one!

Too me the biggest issue with any of the inner door seals today or the last twenty years, is the rubber compound formulation. All the seals used these days have a sticky surface composition.
I recall when first got my car in 94, it still had what I presume were original seals ( torn of course) but what stood out was the feel of the rubber itself. It had a very dry to the touch surface. This really helped in preventing the door from friction grabbing the seal bead and pulling it down as the door closed.

Todays rubber seal are made with EPDM rubber. It is just sticky by nature. I have no clue what the older rubber compound was. Whatever it was, it had a dry surface feel to it.

DMC5180
04-13-2018, 09:30 PM
Dana, how about one close up photo of the upper windshield header corner.

Yea, more DMC logos [emoji23] Atleast it didn’t say Delorean.com again.

DMC5180
04-13-2018, 10:23 PM
For the record, mine are the 110044A (British version)

DMC-81
04-14-2018, 03:33 AM
Dana, how about one close up photo of the upper windshield header corner.

Yea, more DMC logos [emoji23] Atleast it didn’t say Delorean.com again.

:)

Here you go..

Here's one of the rear area is prone to sometimes stick:

Christian Dietrich
04-14-2018, 06:55 AM
Took some glamour shots in the dark garage of the bumper letters. So far everywhere I'm going to they've gotten a lot of attention and a lot of people can't believe that I can carve these out with a dremel and files.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180414/eb40576d19706e81fc1e9eb368b18c0c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180414/484e7641ebb9c93a1526f85b5878b7f5.jpg

Lwanmtr
04-14-2018, 04:05 PM
Looks cool. Id have been tempted to put color change led's there.

Christian Dietrich
04-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Looks cool. Id have been tempted to put color change led's there.A friend of mine that's doing this now that lives in California is actually going to be doing that with color-changing LEDs

iflights
04-14-2018, 07:47 PM
For the record, mine are the 110044A (British version)

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

jackb
04-17-2018, 03:00 AM
Replaced the brake master and convinced my wife to to help bleed the brakes. That's two jobs if you ask me.

81dmc
04-19-2018, 10:37 AM
Yesterday, I installed the front QA1s to the frame.

Now I'm just waiting on Josh @ DPI to ship my LCAs...