PDA

View Full Version : General What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37

Rich_NYS
09-18-2019, 07:02 AM
Nice job on that emblem!

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

CFI
09-18-2019, 08:23 AM
I would never leave it unattended at a car show

Then how do you enjoy the other cars that show up?

jackb
09-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Then how do you enjoy the other cars that show up?

I mean unattended with the doors open. I close the doors when I'm not in the area (and still will).

CFI
09-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Hit 35,000 miles today. 5,000 miles in 9 months.61152

ritztoys
09-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Can you say specifically what you did here? I know that thread you mentioned is about 15 posts long, and there was talk of cutting ground wires as well as just adding a ground wire. I'd much rather just add a wire than have to cut anything if possible. Is that what you did? Just add an additional wire from the black wire connection on the inertia switch straight to a grounding bolt (near the driver's feet I think it mentioned)?

Hi Jonathan, Sorry for delay, was out of town.

I did just that, I cut the ground leading in to the Inertia Switch and lengthened that wire to the hidden ground bolt w/ring terminal.
(I know this isn't a stock thing that can be reversed, but it improves the car's electrical system.)

From there a new wire was added w/ring terminal back to the 'empty' inertia switch terminal. My original switch was replaced with a correct one after failing with the PO, but the multi connector had melted and fell apart so it was easy to replace the "push-on" connector with individual new ones at this point.

I was surprised at the difference of the fuel pump (normal) sound or lack of it! My fuel tank is still empty, so that may change on how the pump actually sounds when filled up.

AirmanPika
09-23-2019, 03:18 AM
Refilled the coolant on my A/C, took it out to a car show at Vandenberg yesterday (wasn't in it, just needed to get the car out).

vwdmc16
09-23-2019, 01:39 PM
Made an adjustable steel bracket to mount a better quality power antenna. A period West German Weissmann unit from a BMW.

Finally replace that awful sounding antenna with this silent one.

Rich
09-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Looks solid, Clint. Nice work, as usual.

Detail questions - does the Weissmann power antenna have a black mast or is it chrome? And where would one go to find one? eBay? Is there a model ID?

Made an adjustable steel bracket to mount a better quality power antenna. A period West German Weissmann unit from a BMW.

jawn101
09-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Does that mean I can have my antenna back? :)

bfloyd
09-24-2019, 04:23 PM
For what it's worth - the Metra 44 PW22B is the EXACT same antenna that I originally bought from DMCH several years ago. Black Mast. Wiring is the same. Case is the same. The only difference is that it doesn't have a Delorean sticker on it. $49.99

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/search?keyword=metra%2044-pw22b

Jonathan
09-27-2019, 11:28 AM
Hi Jonathan, Sorry for delay, was out of town.

I did just that, I cut the ground leading in to the Inertia Switch and lengthened that wire to the hidden ground bolt w/ring terminal.
(I know this isn't a stock thing that can be reversed, but it improves the car's electrical system.)

From there a new wire was added w/ring terminal back to the 'empty' inertia switch terminal. My original switch was replaced with a correct one after failing with the PO, but the multi connector had melted and fell apart so it was easy to replace the "push-on" connector with individual new ones at this point.

I was surprised at the difference of the fuel pump (normal) sound or lack of it! My fuel tank is still empty, so that may change on how the pump actually sounds when filled up.

Thanks for the explanation.

I went under the console in the driver's footwell the other day because I needed a reminder how friggin uncomfortable that is. I had a few things adding up to make me feel justified in pulling out the binnacle. My low fuel bulb is either burned out or rotated just enough to lose contact, I have a tiny bit of paper caught behind the high beam light that I'd like to remove, my low beam bulb every so often needs a love tap on top of the binnacle to come on and the tach needle is bouncing from time to time. I also had a new hood release lever bracket to put in while I was under there.

I got the bracket for the hood lever in and thanks to Dana for the reminder on getting that cable aligned so it isn't rubbing. I looked around seeing if I could find this infamous ground wire connection that (I think) goes up and becomes the ground on the white connector on the cluster. It sure seems like this is it here in the photo:

That single white plastic connector looks a little like the inline fuse holders, but it's nothing more than a single wire connector with the two ends much like what is inside other connectors (bulkhead connectors for example). And it's the ground coming down from the instrument cluster. I wiggled it open, initially thinking it had a 'push and turn' type lock, but it doesn't. It just pulls apart. It had some crusty stuff flake out when I did this. I cleaned it up, put it back in, realized how bad my back hurts from lying upside down in that position, and so decided to just see if that ground connection made much difference.

Booyah. My tach needle stopped bouncing. Friggin sweet. The low beam bulb doesn't hesitate coming on now either.

I did notice just at the end of the drive I went on that my tach needle will bounce a little (much less and different than what it was doing before) but only when you are flooring it, have the WOT switches engaged, and the RPMs are getting quite high at 4-5,000 or so. So maybe some other ground too back there that is getting overloaded in those full throttle, high rev conditions.

Nice to get that day to day bouncing tach needle crap sorted out though. And it was ground wire related. Wow, what a shocker that was lol.

Bitsyncmaster
09-30-2019, 10:33 AM
I replaced my lambda ECU today thinking maybe that was causing my AFR to hold around 15.3. Well that did not change the AFR but it did require I adjust the mixture via dwell meter. Note I'm now sticking with using 4 cylinder dwell numbers instead of % duty cycle to eliminate confusion to other owners. The dwell was running around 30 deg before I adjusted it back up to 40 deg.

One thing I found is my dwell readings are more stable holding RPM around 2000 which is mostly where your run anyway. With my heated wideband sensor that was not a problem. But the narrow band stock sensor must run a little cool at idle speed.

I think I had a little RPM surging when the dwell was at 30 deg but it was not there at 40 deg. So maybe other owners who experience bad idle hunting should make sure the dwell is set to 40 deg.

I also had a little rattle sound at idle and found that was the oil filler cap was not pushed all the way down. I should replace that O-ring on the cap someday.

I'm guessing something is wrong with my tail pipe wide band system but still not sure why my AFR is 15.3.

ritztoys
09-30-2019, 04:24 PM
I finally got the chance to get gas for my car, after my gas line failure. (This failure then almost emptied my fuel tank)
So now with a 1/2 full tank (gauge reads pretty darn close too) Upon testing the fuel line pressure with the car running, no more leaks, but the good part I could barely hear my fuel pump running after my additional ground via the Inertia switch.
Very surprised how I can hardly hear the fuel pump with the engine running, I had to lean into the frunk to hear it!
I also installed @Bitsyncmaster's suggestion of a Voltage Spike Diode to quiet my voltage spike from my A/C compressor, my electrical system should be a little quieter now, thank-you Dave.

Parzival
09-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Removed my crank shaft pulley nut!
That is all, it was a project all unto itself! DMC-81 (AKA Dana) and I tried for a few hours to remove it two nights ago with no luck. Dana told me I should try an impact wrench after our first breaker bar broke and our new 4 foot breaker bar threatened to do the same.

This low profile impact wrench claims to provide 700ft-lbs of breaking force. I only have room for a small compressor, so I found one that goes up to 165PSI so that it would have enough reserves in the tank in case the compressor couldn't keep up. It took 3 full tanks of air to finally break it free!
All I wanted to do today was get it off, thankfully its now off... few :wrenchin:

DMC-81
09-30-2019, 11:04 PM
Removed my crank shaft pulley nut!
That is all, it was a project all unto itself! DMC-81 (AKA Dana) and I tried for a few hours to remove it two nights ago with no luck. Dana told me I should try an impact wrench after our first breaker bar broke and our new 4 foot breaker bar threatened to do the same.

This low profile impact wrench claims to provide 700ft-lbs of breaking force. I only have room for a small compressor, so I found one that goes up to 165PSI so that it would have enough reserves in the tank in case the compressor couldn't keep up. It took 3 full tanks of air to finally break it free!
All I wanted to do today was get it off, thankfully its now off... few :wrenchin:

That was definitely a bear!! Glad that you got it off!! :cheers: :thumbup: :cheers1:

Parzival
09-30-2019, 11:07 PM
That was definitely a bear!! Glad that you got it off!! :cheers: :thumbup: :cheers1:

Thanks to your advice! and now the shop is equipped with air. That will come in handy, and perhaps I'll be back on the road by halloween (I hope)

mhanch
10-02-2019, 12:32 PM
I'm new to here, but I'm learning how my Delorean ticks - and doing the basics. So far

Oil Change
Check all Fluids
Fix the door switches
Swap interior to LED bulbs

and a whole lot of cleaning. It's an exciting car.

Conundrum
10-02-2019, 07:42 PM
One of the last sets from the Hervey's arrived today. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191002/a872b1821f2a0c524ce0476828dc4d03.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191002/713d2812291cf509971776ec6c3fb433.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191002/67ecbdb44e18b90367fc7e7033d42833.jpg

nkemp
10-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Installed new rear bushings (all 8 and I used rubber, not PU) and it fixed the excess rear camber. I haven't felt this good about the car in a long time. Now searching for tires.

bfloyd
10-11-2019, 10:50 PM
Drove my car up to DMC Midwest from Nashville on Monday to have the new Eibach springs and shocks installed. Mike and his crew did an amazing job on the car as always.
https://i.imgur.com/hte0BPP.jpg https://i.imgur.com/bQDJ6EG.jpg https://i.imgur.com/LUAhyXs.jpg

Picked the car up from the shop on Thursday afternoon to make the almost 9 hour trip home. Things were going well until the voltage regulator in the alternator crapped out on the way back. It was running high around 16+ volts, and then would wildly swing down below 12volts where the battery light would come on. Limped it down Interstate 65 South through Kentucky where it finally called it quits 87 miles from home. Called AAA and took the "Ride of Shame" home on the back of a flat bed truck. Alternators are cheap, easy to install, and our upgraded AAA package covers 100 mile tows. Didn't cost me anything except pride and time. The alternator I'm running is covered under a "Lifetime Warranty", so it should be a direct swap out at O'Reilly's Auto Parts on Saturday afternoon.
https://i.imgur.com/u8DiXsRh.jpg

Riley88
10-11-2019, 11:45 PM
One of the last sets from the Hervey's arrived today. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191002/a872b1821f2a0c524ce0476828dc4d03.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191002/713d2812291cf509971776ec6c3fb433.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191002/67ecbdb44e18b90367fc7e7033d42833.jpg

I really like those, is there anywhere else that sells those?

Mark D
10-29-2019, 02:51 PM
The weatherman was forecasting snow this week so this past weekend the DeLorean went back into winter storage mode. I put less than 500 miles on this season. Just been too busy with other....projects.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61535&d=1572375051

opethmike
10-29-2019, 07:24 PM
Put the LSLorean away, after about 1,200 miles this season. Going to finally install A/C over the winter. Car runs and drives like a total animal.

jackb
10-30-2019, 10:26 PM
Recovered the passenger seat. Pretty straightforward/simple job. I had expected it to be significantly more challenging. Next up: drivers seat.

opethmike
10-31-2019, 10:52 AM
Looks nice!

jackb
11-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Recovered the drivers seat.
I’d been putting off this job for far too long, certain it would be a tough one.
It was so easy to do. I refreshed the foam with a clothing steamer and let it air out for a day between removing and installing the covers. Installing took about 1-1.5hrs total. That was taking my time, and including reinstalling it in the car.
I used zip-ties for the headrest narrow part. It sounded confusing, until i got it disassembled, then it all made sense.

Anybody hesitant To tackle this job for fear it it beyond your abilities, go for it! It was not tough at all.

Hill Valley PD
11-05-2019, 07:56 AM
Took the car probably for its final drive, about 40 min of just driving around listening to music. They did salt the streets a bit here last week (snowed on Halloween), but it rained the other day, and the roads were dry. Normally, I wouldn't bother, but it had a decent amount of gas in it still. I took it out mostly to run more gas out of it and then cleaned it inside out and a bit underneath. Stopped by an old victorian home near me that always reminded me of the house from Psycho in honor of Halloween, though now they are painting it and fixing it up it after 30 years of neglect. Oil filter arrived from DMC MW the other day, so this weekend it's change time, run it one more time maybe for another short ride, and away it goes.

L3V3L1
11-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Recovered the passenger seat. Pretty straightforward/simple job. I had expected it to be significantly more challenging. Next up: drivers seat.

Who's seat covers are these?

jackb
11-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Who's seat covers are these?

DMCH.
I considered DeloreanGo and DPI covers as well, but DMCH were the only ones that really nailed the rippled look, which was important to me.
Super easy install.

mr_maxime
11-05-2019, 09:57 PM
not the delorean itself, but finally started cleaning out the garage so i can get back to working on it again

AirmanPika
11-07-2019, 12:24 AM
Started recharging the battery again. Guess at some point in the last few weeks the battery refresher disconnected and I missed it out of habit. The car was dead as a door nail. I jumped it and got it going again alone. Now I hope the maintainer can handle the rest for the next couple days. Am hoping to take it for a spin again Friday.

Michael
11-07-2019, 08:06 PM
I dropped a lead sculpture on my hood while getting stuff out of the attic.

mr_maxime
11-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Oh god that's awful

I got my first mock up leaf motor mount in after breaking a bunch of tack welds
https://i.imgur.com/aIvWxW0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jSWeEN2.jpg

Riley88
11-07-2019, 09:44 PM
wooooww , Michael thats my freaking nightmare, that poor hood! I know how you take such good care of your car. What are your plans? omg

Michael
11-07-2019, 09:46 PM
wooooww , Michael thats my freaking nightmare, that poor hood! I know how you take such good care of your car. What are your plans? omg

I am in the auto buiz and I know some damn good pdr guys. My buddy is coming either this or next Saturday to work on it. If he can fix it great, if not, it's a flat hood so I will just buy a new one.

nkemp
11-07-2019, 10:18 PM

https://youtu.be/5vjAXB3G4Ys

Riley88
11-07-2019, 10:55 PM
I am in the auto buiz and I know some damn good pdr guys. My buddy is coming either this or next Saturday to work on it. If he can fix it great, if not, it's a flat hood so I will just buy a new one.
Sounds good man, good plan. My only nightmares involve my car getting damaged. its sad lol

Mark D
11-08-2019, 08:27 AM

Sitting here in my cubicle and my neighbor is probably wondering why I randomly yelled "F*CK!" out loud. That really sucks dude. Hope you can get it fixed without having to buy a whole new hood.

At least it's not a gas flap or grooved hood, but still.

If your PDR buddies can't fix it then I'm guessing Chris Nicholson could probably do it. Or it would made for some cool wall art.

ritztoys
11-08-2019, 10:35 AM

Dude......so sad, I feel for your emotions when this happened. Did the neighbors hear you scream? :ohcrap:

Michael
11-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Dude......so sad, I feel for your emotions when this happened. Did the neighbors hear you scream? :ohcrap:

Twas the month before Christmas when a douche decorates early, he began pulling crap from the attic by himself because he was manly and burly. When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter, I looked down and screamed SON OF A FU$%ING BI$%CH THAT MOTHERFU$%=NG DINNER PLATTER! My wife came out to see what was the matter and what to her eyes did appear? A formally perfect hood that looked like it was ran over by an overweight reindeer.

nkemp
11-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Maybe we need a thread of stupid things we did to our D's. I have a couple dooooosies! But I'd only post them if I could post anonymously. Welcome to the DeLorean-OOPS club. It is well populated. :)

mr_maxime
11-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Maybe we need a thread of stupid things we did to our D's. I have a couple dooooosies! But I'd only post them if I could post anonymously. Welcome to the DeLorean-OOPS club. It is well populated. :)

In a time crunch, drove without the header panel on the windshield thinking it was mostly cosmetic. Realized it held the front of the T-panel in place after it bent straight back...

jackb
11-08-2019, 07:55 PM

I once tripped over the floor jack in my garage, sending the handle directly into the left rear fender.

SS Spoiler
11-08-2019, 10:46 PM
I lost my steering at 70 MPH because the universal
yoke fell off....

nkemp
11-08-2019, 11:19 PM
I lost my steering at 70 MPH because the universal
yoke fell off....

Wasn't that in the mountains?

SS Spoiler
11-09-2019, 09:51 AM
No it was on a road in South Dakota. Ended up in the
ditch. Back on the road two hours later. I had replaced
the u-joint three years earlier and failed to put the coupling
on far enough so the pinch bolt was in front of the shaft
instead through the groove. I did make a trip to Vegas in
the mountains during that time.....

Ron
11-09-2019, 10:36 AM

In a time crunch, drove without the header panel on the windshield thinking it was mostly cosmetic. Realized it held the front of the T-panel in place after it bent straight back...I like that idea -- Do it.

My contribution in the dent department: Bush Hog v/s cinder block v/s left quarter. Posts 4 (pics 3&4) and 9 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12366-Hail-damage&p=179006&viewfull=1#post179006).

ritztoys
11-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Twas the month before Christmas when a douche decorates early, he began pulling crap from the attic by himself because he was manly and burly. When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter, I looked down and screamed SON OF A FU$%ING BI$%CH THAT MOTHERFU$%=NG DINNER PLATTER! My wife came out to see what was the matter and what to her eyes did appear? A formally perfect hood that looked like it was ran over by an overweight reindeer.

Man I feel your pain & anger, but your post made me seriously laugh out loud......:hysterical:

I wish you luck in repairs and or replacement....

mr_maxime
11-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Took the steering column out and cleaned out a 4th rat nest

mhanch
11-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Put on new tires (replacing the 20+ year old ones), Flushed brake fluid and replaced all the brake pads. What a difference!

DMC81
11-11-2019, 07:05 PM
Engine is out.

Lwanmtr
11-11-2019, 07:17 PM

All i can say is.... Ouch!

Jonathan
11-16-2019, 07:54 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/B45wiqsCh72/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

mr_maxime
11-19-2019, 08:46 PM
I removed the pedalbox, wrestled the shifter out, ripped the A-pillar trim pieces out and got the headliner out.

Robmac123
11-19-2019, 11:23 PM

I wonder if a hood emblem would cover it up, at least temporarily. Wrong location, I know, but might hide it until you can get it fixed properly. I honestly don’t think it would look bad as only other owners would know it’s wrong.

Roberto
11-20-2019, 11:46 AM
Fitted new fuel and supply hose. Boy was the old one needing replaced! Will check for leaks later. Btw, new washers and bolts.
Robert
Vin #39156181161812

L3V3L1
11-20-2019, 04:09 PM

I hear you can fix that with a strategically placed Delorean emblem.

nkemp
11-20-2019, 05:40 PM
How about a hood scoop? ... Just kidding :)

Lwanmtr
11-20-2019, 06:55 PM
Go faster stripes and flames....people will be fixated on awful graphics and never even notice the dents.

Michael
11-20-2019, 07:29 PM
I wonder if a hood emblem would cover it up, at least temporarily. Wrong location, I know, but might hide it until you can get it fixed properly. I honestly don’t think it would look bad as only other owners would know it’s wrong.

I hear you can fix that with a strategically placed Delorean emblem.

How about a hood scoop? ... Just kidding :)

Go faster stripes and flames....people will be fixated on awful graphics and never even notice the dents.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduUJgrJnTH093yw/giphy.gif

mr_maxime
11-20-2019, 09:46 PM
Took the dash out. I'll be trying to fit some 4" speakers in there. The work also made me break down and order the set of ratcheting combo wrenches
https://i.imgur.com/pprshVZ.jpg?1

Riley88
11-21-2019, 12:46 AM
Picked her up from the garage and am driving her to work tomorrow because its finally a nice winter day

Jonathan
11-21-2019, 06:51 AM
Fitted new fuel and supply hose. Boy was the old one needing replaced! Will check for leaks later. Btw, new washers and bolts.
Robert
Vin #39156181161812

Nicely done. This is on my list as well. And looking at how close our VINs are, no wonder the fuel filters look to be in about the same condition!

I have had a replacement filter forever it seems. I was thinking about buying a new replacement though as the connection on the outlet end is bent a little off to one side. I'll post a better picture of it later to show what I mean.

I see the filters on DeLoGO are new/different. Is this what is available now? Not the old/original ones? They have what is said to be an original one and it is about 3x the price. Although Houston still has theirs priced about what they always have been (and assuming NOS?).

I got all the injectors, clips and seals in last season as well as all the new lines, except the one attached to the filter. I've also had a flexible replacement for the hardline going from the accumulator to the filter as mine had a leak in about 2010, and we cut that short section out and put a short hose in its place. Just have never got around to putting the replacement hose in. It needs to snake its way through the frame and come out in the accumulator hole, but that job frightens me with the difficulty/access level so never did it.

Mark D
11-21-2019, 09:38 AM

I'm having flashbacks:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17241-Thoughts-on-this-25-dollar-dent-repair

mr_maxime
11-23-2019, 07:30 PM
I installed some 4" speakers to replace the original craigs. Ill be posting a write up of what I did later

mr_maxime
11-29-2019, 03:10 PM
I separated the frame and body

https://i.imgur.com/3e1UHvn.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/PVKU5te.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/mhhvFaO.jpg?1

Rich_NYS
11-29-2019, 03:58 PM
I separated the frame and body

Do you have pics or more info on what you used to lift the body? I'm planning to use an engine hoist & floor jacks.

mr_maxime
11-29-2019, 05:19 PM
Do you have pics or more info on what you used to lift the body? I'm planning to use an engine hoist & floor jacks.

I used a floor jack and 4 jack stands. Everything was disconnected, I jacked the frame as high as the jack stands would would. I propped footlong pieces of 4x6 next to the body jack points. I had to then jack the frame up a little more to fit the 5' long 4x4 pieces on either side. I started by lowering the rear of the frame by 1 notch on the jacks. moved to the front lowered it 1 notch, then another. Moved to the rear, lowered it 1 notch, then another. Kept doing that til I bottomed out the jack stands, then lowered them as usual. I was trying to keep the frame somewhat level and go slowly to make sure everything was clear. I did forget the negative battery cable bolted close to the trailing arm bolt.

I made sure I could still put the floor jack directly under the body jack points in case I needed to raise it some more. It honestly isnt that bad to do without a 2 post lift. I'd probably start with a piece of wood under the jack stands to raise them up a bit more so I could have gotten the 4x4 pieces in first. Jacking the body up now is kinda wonky right now. I'd recommend lifting the frame up as high as youd like the body first.

Edit: Also the wood stands are a lot more stable than jack stands at the max height. 8" long 4x6 would also have worked out fine, but I'd got a couple inches longer on the 4x4.

Quinn
11-30-2019, 01:37 PM
I installed some 4" speakers to replace the original craigs. Ill be posting a write up of what I did later

I've been working on the same project in my car. 4" in front, 5x7" in back, 8" sub in storage compartment, amp in the frunk, single DIN in dash. Everything is a tight fit. There nothing easy about it, if you're trying to do a clean/professional looking install. Beginning to second guess my decision to embark on this project. Unfortunately, I prefer high quality audio and the stock system just doesn't make the cut.

Rich_NYS
11-30-2019, 04:33 PM
Today I began the fuel system assessment for 4519: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17890-VIN-4519-14-year-quot-garage-find-quot&p=253031#post253031

Fingers-crossed that the non-running is wholly a fuel system issue!

mr_maxime
11-30-2019, 09:17 PM
I've been working on the same project in my car. 4" in front, 5x7" in back, 8" sub in storage compartment, amp in the frunk, single DIN in dash. Everything is a tight fit. There nothing easy about it, if you're trying to do a clean/professional looking install. Beginning to second guess my decision to embark on this project. Unfortunately, I prefer high quality audio and the stock system just doesn't make the cut.

In retrospect, I probably should have gone with the highest end speakers I could so I wouldnt have to change them again. Any reason you went with 5x7 instead of 6x9? I'm assuming 6x9 dont fit?

I started cleaning the frame and removing rust off of it. I had to cut into it to access inside of it...

Quinn
12-01-2019, 02:23 PM
In retrospect, I probably should have gone with the highest end speakers I could so I wouldnt have to change them again. Any reason you went with 5x7 instead of 6x9? I'm assuming 6x9 dont fit?

I started cleaning the frame and removing rust off of it. I had to cut into it to access inside of it...

6x9s won't fit behind the stock side panels. I was originally going to build/purchase a custom speaker box for the back panel to fit 6x9, but ultimately decided to keep a stock appearance. Technically, 4x10 and 5x7 have about the same surface area, but the 4x10 are much more prone to distortion because of their irregular shape. There are also many more options when going with a 5x7. I have a bandpass filter on the 5x7, so it only produces mid frequencies, to keep the sound stage in front of the car. It's not a bad idea to put a highpass on the 4" and a lowpass on the sub. A lot of the newer amps have these features built-in.

Did you end up installing the 4" between the dashboard and the fiberglass frame? It makes it hard to ever replace the speaker, but that's the only way I could figure to do it.

JBaker4981
12-02-2019, 09:47 AM
Bought a DMCMW steering wheel pad off of a Facebook DeLorean Group last week. Popped it on yesterday - I didn't realize it would look this great and be rather soft

Victor
12-02-2019, 06:28 PM
Reinstalling the intake after changing distributor, spark plug, but can’t remember where this attached?61956

Ron
12-02-2019, 06:49 PM
The plug with a Light Green wire goes to the full throttle microswitch.
The plug with a Light Green/Green wire goes to the Kick Down microswitch for automatics (if equipped).

Victor
12-02-2019, 06:59 PM
The plug with a Light Green wire goes to the full throttle microswitch.
The plug with a Light Green/Green wire goes to the Kick Down microswitch for automatics (if equipped).

Ok good thank you very much. I am a little tired after all that project, and working in the cold un-heated garage.
Thank you again

Ron
12-02-2019, 07:39 PM
YW!

Yeah, I with you...I just got done about the time the shop warmed up.

Victor
12-03-2019, 05:43 PM
Yes thanks. It’s really my fault I wanted to hurry the project so that I could go to the Christmas parade we have here in our town since there is no snow now. I always wanted to decorate the D in a Christmas theme and maybe put a little pine tree between the open doors or something...

I might just put everything on hold until spring, as hurrying things up on a « restauration project » is rarely a good thing. -11 c brrr.

mr_maxime
12-04-2019, 09:31 PM
If it doesnt have a name yet, I'm calling it the box of misery. Thankfully the other side doesn't have any visible peeling epoxy.

https://i.imgur.com/JzcyVYa.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/Gs1UJBr.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/DSafaDl.jpg?1

leroylem
12-04-2019, 10:01 PM
Drove to the local car guy hangout for coffee---great weather today in Texas-- 72 & clear
Leroy 2126

Michael
12-04-2019, 10:10 PM
If it doesnt have a name yet, I'm calling it the box of misery. Thankfully the other side doesn't have any visible peeling epoxy.

https://i.imgur.com/JzcyVYa.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/Gs1UJBr.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/DSafaDl.jpg?1

That's pretty damn clean looking if you ask me.

mr_maxime
12-06-2019, 05:07 PM
That's pretty damn clean looking if you ask me.

Yeah overall its in pretty good condition. However, I'm tossing the towel now, found out it wouldnt be too expensive to get it sandblasted.

nkemp
12-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Yeah overall its in pretty good condition. However, I'm tossing the towel now, found out it wouldnt be too expensive to get it sandblasted.

Many years ago (before the internet :-) I had the frame sandblasted due to rust. The PO drove it year round in MN. What I found was that the epoxy was very hard to remove epoxy where it was still in good shape. The problem areas are where rocks chip it and flexing causes cracks. So I didn't remove all the epoxy ... only the problem areas. The area down the central tunnel was as nice as the day it was made. The trailing arms were swiss cheese ... and so were a few parts of the frame.

A lot more is known now than when I did it, but back then I had it zinc chromated and then powder coated. The first layer was a zinc rich epoxy. The second was the color coat ... and since he put on the wrong color (black), the third layer (gray) was added.

And it doesn't see snow/salt any more. I did drive it once in the snow before restoration. Good traction like a front wheeled car. Poor steering, much worse than a normal rear wheel drive, due to the light front end.

That is "What have you done to your DeLorean today ... a while back"

Jonathan
12-09-2019, 08:43 AM
I woke the car up from its mid-winter slumber. I had put it up on jack stands in October to look at an ATF leak and then got busy. Then winter arrived and figured that was the end of the season. Hadn't quite got around to adding some fuel stabilizer, but wanted to before Spring came and wished I had.

Engine fired right up and idled nice. Pretty clear where my ATF drip is coming from. The forward oil cooler hose. Lots of time to get that replaced before March/April. Just gotta figure out something with how cold it gets in the garage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrnbc_UJIvI

Also had picked-up a couple legit 'remove before flight' streamers too. Got them at an airplane supply place next door to a small airport near me. $8 each and grabbed right off the shelf. No shipping or other nonsense. Saw someone else with the idea to clip them on the doors while open at shows. I've been trying to collect different things to change-up how I show the car at cruise nights. Mostly 80s related odds and ends, but these streamers are part of it too. Still on the look-out for one of those Star Wars Millennium Falcon cockpit sunshades. :)

mr_maxime
12-12-2019, 11:07 PM
Started spraying down every brake line coupling and suspension bolt with penetrating lube. What started out as a mere electric conversion is easily snowballing into a full frame off restomod.

gluaisrothaii
12-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Corvette 3rd brake light; painted SEM trim black, LED conversion with integrated flash module. Click first image for video.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-xqsRVMX/0/61084ccc/X2/IMG_3129-X2.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-xqsRVMX/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-PbxB4bm/0/bfb0b60d/L/IMG_3127_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-PbxB4bm/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-9QJTkvT/0/901b3274/L/IMG_3128_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-9QJTkvT/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-H5pr25P/0/e3f43c58/4K/IMG_3132_heic-4K.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-H5pr25P/A)

jackb
12-13-2019, 10:45 AM
Corvette 3rd brake light; painted SEM trim black, LED conversion with integrated flash module. Click first image for video.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-xqsRVMX/0/61084ccc/X2/IMG_3129-X2.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-xqsRVMX/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-PbxB4bm/0/bfb0b60d/L/IMG_3127_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-PbxB4bm/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-9QJTkvT/0/901b3274/L/IMG_3128_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-9QJTkvT/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-H5pr25P/0/e3f43c58/4K/IMG_3132_heic-4K.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-H5pr25P/A)

What type of LED bulbs work with that housing assembly?

Patrick C
12-13-2019, 10:46 AM

I’m interested in this too.

gluaisrothaii
12-13-2019, 12:14 PM

I’m interested in this too.

Ah....where were my manners? I used this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GRO844G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Flasher-Module-Universal-Motorcycles/dp/B00FADDOL4).

Made an aluminum bracket from 0.040" I had around. Definitely not my best work but functional- I'm planning to re-make a clean bracket when I find higher output LED strand. Attached the bracket inside the lens with VHB tape. Current draw is less than 0.3 amps. I believe the stock lamp setup pulled more like 8 amps.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-PxVqx2f/0/8d53593d/L/IMG_3137_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-PxVqx2f/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-zLCMJZq/0/a74c7308/L/IMG_3138_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-zLCMJZq/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-sQ4g3ks/0/0367f5ee/L/IMG_3145_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-sQ4g3ks/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-Kb3Rfts/0/1f745f79/L/IMG_3140_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-Kb3Rfts/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-6nPG4b6/0/d930d31d/L/IMG_3141_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-6nPG4b6/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-tpLC9Bv/0/c5a3c470/L/IMG_3144_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-tpLC9Bv/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-c4JQxNX/0/c63906b7/L/IMG_3143_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-c4JQxNX/A)

Bitsyncmaster
12-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Here is an old thread about the third brake light. I had a real old thread on the old DMCtalk showing how I made my LEDs for it.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4267-Custom-made-LED-third-brake-light

CFI
12-20-2019, 09:49 AM
I finished installing the DPI steering shaft and u joints. Between this and the DeLorean Go strut tower brace the car feels much nicer on the road.

gluaisrothaii
12-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Click image for video.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-tDc5Dhg/0/010822c6/X3/IMG_3157-X3.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-tDc5Dhg/A)

Bitsyncmaster
12-20-2019, 11:54 AM
Click image for video.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-tDc5Dhg/0/010822c6/X3/IMG_3157-X3.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-tDc5Dhg/A)

Looks like they flash a little when first turned on.

SS Spoiler
12-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Because there is no snow on the ground wife and I
took a drive through town to thrill the troops. Doesn't
look like a white Christmas this year...very unusual...

gluaisrothaii
12-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Looks like they flash a little when first turned on.

I installed a flasher module in the light for additional conspicuity.....

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-c4JQxNX/0/c63906b7/L/IMG_3143_heic-L.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-c4JQxNX/A)

Riley88
12-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Ordered the flange kit and 2 new cv axles, because one boot i ripped and id rather replace them all at once because im lazy.

gluaisrothaii
12-23-2019, 09:31 AM

Giamanut
12-26-2019, 04:52 PM
Completed installing a new passenger door! PITA job! And just 2300 bucks. Stupid shopping carts!

eight8toy
12-29-2019, 11:24 AM
Randomly picked up some Ford plastic trim fasteners at auto parts store and finally fix my passenger door roof panel. It always was a bit loose. Had to make a slight modification to the fasteners but now they work perfectly.

Michael
01-03-2020, 06:50 PM
Almost every night this week I have been under the hood doing minor service, sprucing up, and detailing. Tonight I am done with the engine bay, on to the undercarriage where I will be quite busy with new pads and refreshed rotors, fluid and filter changes, and more waxing the frame.

I did redo the intake piping. I got new parts at the local parts store and fitted a flange on the pontoon to give the assembly a nice finished look. I was never happy with the air cleaner side either, I picked up an adapter with just a sprinkle of rice. New plugs, fresh clean and oil of the K&N filter, new idler bearings and repainted brackets, new belts, new rebuilt and cleaned alternator, and complete detail of the engine, timing cover, block and bay. I do have a nice new plated hose bracket since I polished all the zinc off the old one but I will change it when I replace the coolant.

JBaker4981
01-03-2020, 10:07 PM
Almost every night this week I have been under the hood doing minor service, sprucing up, and detailing. Tonight I am done with the engine bay, on to the undercarriage where I will be quite busy with new pads and refreshed rotors, fluid and filter changes, and more waxing the frame.

I did redo the intake piping. I got new parts at the local parts store and fitted a flange on the pontoon to give the assembly a nice finished look. I was never happy with the air cleaner side either, I picked up an adapter with just a sprinkle of rice. New plugs, fresh clean and oil of the K&N filter, new idler bearings and repainted brackets, new belts, new rebuilt and cleaned alternator, and complete detail of the engine, timing cover, block and bay. I do have a nice new plated hose bracket since I polished all the zinc off the old one but I will change it when I replace the coolant.

Bravo man! You must have amazing patience and a huge passion for these cars. Beautiful engine bay!

Michael
01-04-2020, 10:14 PM
Bravo man! You must have amazing patience and a huge passion for these cars. Beautiful engine bay!

Thank you and thanks again for the invite. I may do a Nashville meet later this year.

I do hear the word "patience" a lot especially when people see my scale models. Patience is tolerating something that displeases you. I love tinkering with the car. Finding something that is normally dirty and even unseen and making it nice is more of a therapy for me than a chore.

Later this month I am putting this thing on a lift for at least a week to go over the underside amd detail everything. It hasn't been done properly in a year or so and I have to do some maintenance. I am really looking forward to that. Pics to come.

Skinny
01-04-2020, 11:56 PM
Need a little help here. When I purchased my car, the passenger knee pad was not attached and on the floor of the car ripped apart. I've recovered the fabric, but all of the bolts except one were broken off the back. I was able to find 3 bolts in the car, but I see 5 holes. My plan is to JB clear weld these back in and reinstall it. Only issue is I don't know which holes (3 out of 5) would be best to use.

Any thoughts?
See below photo.

jackb
01-05-2020, 08:22 AM
Need a little help here. When I purchased my car, the passenger knee pad was not attached and on the floor of the car ripped apart. I've recovered the fabric, but all of the bolts except one were broken off the back. I was able to find 3 bolts in the car, but I see 5 holes. My plan is to JB clear weld these back in and reinstall it. Only issue is I don't know which holes (3 out of 5) would be best to use.

Any thoughts?
See below photo.

My kneepad plastic crumbled around the studs as well a while back, and I was missing one or two. I just got a small piece of threaded rod, cut it, and jb-welded it in place of the missing correct studs. (I used a combination of the liquid-gel epoxy and the moldable clay type depending on how exactly it was broken)

Jonathan
01-05-2020, 10:01 AM
Another option if trying to replace missing bolts on those kneepads is to use the studs that are meant for the exhaust manifolds. Not an exact fit, but useable.

https://store.delorean.com/p-6459-stud.aspx

Skinny
01-05-2020, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the advice! Do i really need all 5? Or will the three i have hold it securely in place? There is still one intact, so that would be a total of 4.

I found this photo of someone else's restoration. Is the bolt circled different from the rest?

jackb
01-05-2020, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the advice! Do i really need all 5? Or will the three i have hold it securely in place? There is still one intact, so that would be a total of 4.

I found this photo of someone else's restoration. Is the bolt circled different from the rest?

I’m sure missing one would not be a problem. Even if you don’t have the original stud, it’s not a problem. Just get a threaded rod or any bolt with long enough threads, cut to length or cut off the head, epoxy it in place, and get a nut to match it. The studs originally attached are all the same size, but it doesn’t matter what you use to repair it.

Col Bennett
01-06-2020, 09:19 PM

Lovely stuff Michael. :hihi:

cis6409
01-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Wow Michael, fair play to you, brilliant to see!

Michael
01-08-2020, 10:13 PM
Thanks everyone! I enjoy detailing the smallest and most hidden nooks and crannies. Tonight I got started on the brakes. I replaced the pads with EBC Green Stuff pads and refinished the hubs and rotors. I also touched up the calipers. I polished off the zinc coating several years ago but refinished them in gold and it has held up very well over the years. I wanted to make the assembley visible to anyone who would peer through the wheel fins for a closer look. I will get on the rears Friday or Saturday and hopefully have the front and rear suspension detailed by the weekend.

Lwanmtr
01-08-2020, 11:12 PM
Looks awesome. If you get bored and are having detailing withdrawals, you can feel more than welcome to come do mine :)

Michael
01-13-2020, 11:23 PM
This week has and will have me tinkering. Tonight I did rear pads also from EBC, rotor refresh, installed the PJ Grady cooler fin kit, new o2 sensor(old one only has about 5k on it but they are cheap). Still so much to do.

Michael
01-13-2020, 11:42 PM
Looks awesome. If you get bored and are having detailing withdrawals, you can feel more than welcome to come do mine :)

There is ALWAYS something on my own car that I can make cleaner or better.

Hill Valley PD
01-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Damn Michael. So clean. I wish my frame was that clean. It's rust free but doesn't look like that. It has a perpetual dinginess in parts that just doesn't come off. It's never been repainted though and just touched up in few places where needed.

Riley88
01-14-2020, 05:13 PM
jesus as usualy christian and michaels cars look better than factory wtf. If i had a lift id be cleaning mine every day , but man using a jack is so annoying

Michael
01-14-2020, 07:31 PM
Thanks all!

My neighbor has a lift in his garage and he is letting me use it this week. I pretty much got finished tonight with the underside. I forgot to take a pic of the finished product but it's still there so I will get a few tomorrow night.

Tonight I took an idea from another member here and used thermal barrier to protect the fuel tank from the cooling lines. In theory, this is what heats the fuel up causing pump noise and failure. Seemed logical and since I had some laying around:

Here is the inside of my closing plate. Few small bits of surface rust. I'm not going to sweat it.

I also finished thermal wrapping my electrical wires that are close to the header. Even though it wasn't quite due I changed the oil and filter which gave me good access to the starter wire end.

Once I get it home I will start refinishing my new hood that came in yesterday and begin the top side detailing process.

The hood is as close to perfect as I had hoped for. Made me sick that I dented mine and I was lucky to find one used. The only thing I will need to do is a light blend, and I will refinish the backside and put on a new seal.

JBaker4981
01-14-2020, 09:05 PM
Michael, you could win a car show on cleanliness alone. Your car looks amazing and I'm glad that you got your replacement hood!

Michael
01-15-2020, 06:04 PM
Michael, you could win a car show on cleanliness alone. Your car looks amazing and I'm glad that you got your replacement hood!

Thanks Jesse!

She is finally back in her own bed tonight. Had a few places on the frame that I didn't get all if the wax out of because my neck was killing me.

SS Spoiler
01-15-2020, 06:08 PM
wax??

SamHill
01-15-2020, 07:22 PM
wax??

Yes. You can wax a frame. Or, if you're Vanilla Ice, you can light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

Michael
01-15-2020, 07:35 PM
I do in fact keep my frame waxed. Makes it easier to clean but it also makes me a liar.

Yes. You can wax a frame. Or, if you're Vanilla Ice, you can light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

I like to think I'm a little vanilla.

Rollin' in my PRV...every 10yr old boy wants to be me....nerds on standby hoping just to get a ride; Did you stop? Yeah, cause my engine died.

Ron
01-15-2020, 08:47 PM
Rollin' in my PRV...every 10yr old boy wants to be me....nerds on standby hoping just to get a ride; Did you stop? Yeah, cause my engine died.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

dodint
01-15-2020, 09:13 PM
Friend of mine is a pro photographer, it's the slow time of year so I hired him to take some shots. These are the first two to come out:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p640x640/83367682_10220839399832447_1349696809957588992_o.j pg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=-YcgdoFDsG8AX8phz9b&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&_nc_tp=1002&oh=0be0bfaf6745002e9b664edc6a3595f8&oe=5ED3F9E3

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p640x640/82405441_10220839399712444_6834582497506885632_o.j pg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=FKnJ2APk20UAX_UeRpl&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&_nc_tp=1002&oh=4cf2544553045d66bf35fd505e3bb7e6&oe=5E970FBD

Yeah, I'm happy. :cheers:

cis6409
01-16-2020, 09:35 AM
That s very nice indeed, first photo is especially class. some great angles there!

Shane

Mark D
01-16-2020, 11:04 AM

One of my TV favorite moments of all time is when Vanilla Ice "sings his dings" in an attempt to prove that Queen/David Bowie's "Under Pressure" was not the same base line as "Ice Ice Baby".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TLo4Z_LWu4

SamHill
01-16-2020, 01:11 PM
One of my TV favorite moments of all time is when Vanilla Ice "sings his dings" in an attempt to prove that Queen/David Bowie's "Under Pressure" was not the same base line as "Ice Ice Baby".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TLo4Z_LWu4

Ha, I don't even have to watch it. It's imprinted on my mind from back in the day. I have at least some sympathy for someone who is, like, 19 with $50 million and the intellectual pulling power of Kevin Federline.

Michael
01-16-2020, 06:30 PM
Great. You just ruined the most hardcore hitting rap beat this subdivision dwelling white boy eva heard.

I knew the opening was lifted from Queen, I just thought Van knew it too.

Mark D
01-16-2020, 09:00 PM
Great. You just ruined the most hardcore hitting rap beat this subdivision dwelling white boy eva heard.

I knew the opening was lifted from Queen, I just thought Van knew it too.

If that ruined the magic for you, this will make you cry to sleep tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx7kzarSwGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx7kzarSwGE

jackb
01-19-2020, 10:48 PM
I passed the 80,000 mile mark today

Chris 16409
01-20-2020, 03:04 PM
I do in fact keep my frame waxed. Makes it easier to clean but it also makes me a liar.

Hey Michael, the previous owner of my car used to have the same license plate, albeit from California.

Michael
01-20-2020, 05:17 PM
Hey Michael, the previous owner of my car used to have the same license plate, albeit from California.

I remember seeing a montage of Delorean tags long before I bought one and the "NO WAX" just really stood out. It was smart dry Gary Shandling humor which I like.

Almost a year after I got my car my wife surprised me with the tag as a Christmas present.

mark w
01-21-2020, 01:10 AM
i started to re-assemble my 5 spd transmission

DMC-81
01-21-2020, 07:54 AM
i started to re-assemble my 5 spd transmission

Nice job!

Michael
01-26-2020, 09:41 AM
Got my hood damage repaired but it didn't suit me. Found a used flat hood in excellent condition but me being me I spent the last several days refurbishing it with 2 coats of SEM trim black and 2 coats of 1k SEM matt clear and a new seal. Running the new wiring for the light took me forever to get right! I ended up having to cut blade connectors off for the light then resoldering and shrink wrapping them after I passed them through the channel. I still have to fine tune the alignment and finish graining it but it will look near perfect when finished later today.

I am going to try to fix my old hood. I think with a little work it will make a very nice panel and someone will get a real deal.

Michael
01-27-2020, 06:07 PM

Riley88
01-27-2020, 06:43 PM
What did you use to get that glossy black sheen ? Its so clean

Michael
01-27-2020, 07:13 PM
What did you use to get that glossy black sheen ? Its so clean

Thanks. It's more of a semi gloss than gloss. When DMCH remanufactured my car it appears they refinished the underbody is a 2 stage black/semi gloss clear paint. It has just held up very well but I do keep the visible areas protected in a non greasy dry to the touch aerosol coating.

Riley88
01-27-2020, 08:03 PM
Thanks. It's more of a semi gloss than gloss. When DMCH remanufactured my car it appears they refinished the underbody is a 2 stage black/semi gloss clear paint. It has just held up very well but I do keep the visible areas protected in a non greasy dry to the touch aerosol coating. Thank you for that, ill look into it as a weekend project

Michael
01-28-2020, 08:44 AM
Thank you for that, ill look into it as a weekend project

Once the parts are clean and free of any contaminants, this is what I use for interior surfaces.

Kukem
01-29-2020, 10:13 AM
After having to let 11056 go due to life changes in 2018, I stepped away from the DeLorean scene, unsure what to do next. Loved that car, but it went to a new owner that will get to live the dream now. After a while of missing the car, I decided once again that I must get back into the driver's seat of a DeLorean. It may not be right away but, hopefully this time, it doesn't take 4 years.

L3V3L1
01-29-2020, 02:14 PM
Got my hood damage repaired but it didn't suit me. Found a used flat hood in excellent condition but me being me I spent the last several days refurbishing it with 2 coats of SEM trim black and 2 coats of 1k SEM matt clear and a new seal. Running the new wiring for the light took me forever to get right! I ended up having to cut blade connectors off for the light then resoldering and shrink wrapping them after I passed them through the channel. I still have to fine tune the alignment and finish graining it but it will look near perfect when finished later today.

I am going to try to fix my old hood. I think with a little work it will make a very nice panel and someone will get a real deal.
Curious as to what about the repair you were not happy with. I have to get a ding repaired on my hood also.
Thanks

Riley88
02-01-2020, 08:58 PM
Replaced the rubber at the bottom of my door. A job ive put off forever that took like 15 minutes. Everytime i see the car I just want to go drive :l

Alex Brooks
02-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Changed my oil and had to warranty out my battery with one month left on the full replacement warranty.

jackb
02-03-2020, 01:02 PM
My Delorean was professionally photographed/videoed for an automotive web-magazine.
I’ll share a link to it when it is completed.

SpudMurphy
02-03-2020, 03:02 PM
The engine cover grills often need to be refurbished during a project and the metal strips that retain the mesh grills are invariably rusted after 40 years. The same can be said of the 48 clips that grip the "Grill Retaining Strips" (Part numbers 106388 - 106392 / 108465.
New "Grill Retaining Strips" are available to buy or you can (as I did) clean the rust off , repaint them and use them again.
the one improvement I made (that no one gets to see) was to use 48 stainless steel clips .... details are shown on the accompanying photos.

The stainless clips fit perfectly and are available from Bresco in the the UK

stainless clip from Bresco on the left .... original on the right.

Getting the old clips and retaining strips was made easier using an old 2 inch chisel and the new ones just press on with your fingers. This picture shows some of the new clips and some of the old.

Here's a photo from the top, showing the grilles in place. The old "snakeskin" effect - I like it! so I'm not going to refinish it! you can still see traces of red paint (my car was sprayed red in Dubai)

It was nice to see the grills all in place after being off in my 3 years of ownership.

there's evidence of the red paint shown in this photo.

SpudMurphy
02-03-2020, 03:44 PM
The link to the stainless clips is :-
https://www.bresco.com/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=24170P%20&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go!&fbclid=IwAR3buJEFtEiMn_Gj4cu-mjekAO9zHiqFYjnck8rIEAeSJ4WvOUXotdHzf5o

You will need to specify stainless steel.

the_watcher87
02-03-2020, 05:10 PM
I'd been have some issues where my car refused to idle. I had a feeling my idle ECU was faulty, after testing wiring continuity etc and came to the conclusion my suspicions were correct. Luckily there was another owner locally in the middle of an engine swap and happened to still have his idle ECU. Swapped it into my car and no more issues :D :D :D

dmcnc
02-03-2020, 08:00 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200204/69973427136700121178704292f28675.jpg

Finished replating my engine bay. Huge thanks to the folks at DMC Midwest for their help beautifying my engine bay.

Michael
02-03-2020, 08:30 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200204/69973427136700121178704292f28675.jpg

Finished replating my engine bay. Huge thanks to the folks at DMC Midwest for their help beautifying my engine bay.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I like the plated and polished pulleys. The very first time I sprayed common degreaser on mine the plating wiped right off.

Michael
02-05-2020, 08:13 AM
Replaced my fuel pump as I heard it making some noise a few times last summer. Hopefully my closing plate mod will prevent this in the future. I noticed my plug looked like it had been hot and missing wire insulation. It had dirty and loose contacts too. I cleaned the contacts and fixed the wire hoping that would solve the problem but it was still getting hot. I found a set of battery connectors I used for my RC EDF jets. These things were designed for 18 to 24v systems that pull up to 110 amps. It's also double sleeved so it should be very insulated. I installed them and tested for 15 minutes and was still just as cool as it was in the pack. Next time I am in there I will put a little silicone on the wire ends of the plug just to keep them dry but I don't think any water gets there anyway.

Farrar
02-09-2020, 12:25 AM
LED engine compartment lighting.

mark w
02-10-2020, 12:24 AM
assembled my engine today

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wv1Yokms6gvI5uBxyeLkcr40fpOpyddbgPpwrZbUmwoEPD6Vlk WMCIQ4hdgGqyXmyeO0VLQoISw1QU3RM25zgZyoFbA6HDy4h_Th AJJK5-pjWq-XliArE4O_8iXD1mVWy18OouGE9MMM4_pFcYkLi5IazsdJDAq86 Gd61YypBY68MDjwSeYeRUBzttHYMxc8Bib597G4VMf3V_bp9wa oBA2Ibzm4-r40iiTYZ5xl8vQuELMSz0-lzdkGTO3u8GD6WUSQEelS8eHHJ3o-42VXDkPyaQmFk5dKLixsiFSWFGBHQRUCkP3dXD05gx3tzK6Qgc zo_nC573ZXjhtHvBIvlhxiYre06dEbXk_OsC653G_iz_jN28Mv luGHqvmpM7gqYtzQfpgcI2c-4MqPeDm0ouZcBsxQEPx5vMXh5NydZULu1rRTR_jVbRSBl6M-OptjvFz7YWoE3le7cDYP7H1_TEhZ8_aqgifBVebFQYIwyqqWnf 481isKqIySyjl4wF5FUauDsuyJFA4imtxKGl7_CnErp42SYG7a DqelqndsipKWb7VojgFjwG6yY1SKos4JCRgA3LOeCA7DcAAe8v ibVhwZKGZYH76ifaTbSREYZ0ruCUvwkGrqXsL39hamTA8M3sIk bwSf2DysUgN7J4oN1YrI1EyY7cW-Yav5po6t0vFQaR_-536vv58g=w1365-h768-no

JBaker4981
02-11-2020, 10:10 AM
On Sunday, I walked into the Valley of Death to replace a leaking hose and to clean the valley. Rite of Passage unlocked I suppose. Cannot wait to put her back together

Michael
02-11-2020, 11:13 AM
On Sunday, I walked into the Valley of Death to replace a leaking hose and to clean the valley. Rite of Passage unlocked I suppose. Cannot wait to put her back together

If I ever have to remove my intake I am going to run as much of that ugly wiring harness underneath it as I can. Really makes the engine compartment look nice.

FABombjoy
02-11-2020, 11:49 AM
Removing the BigBrownBundle of alternator wires in favor of a single 4ga wire from the bulkhead bolt to jump start post makes a world of difference.

nkemp
02-11-2020, 11:54 AM
... I am going to run as much of that ugly wiring harness underneath it as I can. ....

I took a couple feet out of the main/large +12Vdc wire, separated it from the minor wires and ran it directly to the alternator rather than over or under the intake manifold. As I recall, I went into the passenger pontoon and back out near the alternator. Looks much better and makes it easier to run/hide the minor wires to switches and sensors. My 2 cents worth which make be too much.

bytes311
02-11-2020, 02:29 PM
I'm going to be installing DMCNW's adjustable fan switch and eliminating the otterstat this weekend.

Stainless
02-11-2020, 03:30 PM
Removing the BigBrownBundle of alternator wires in favor of a single 4ga wire from the bulkhead bolt to jump start post makes a world of difference.

What differences did you notice? Got any pics of the final product?

FABombjoy
02-11-2020, 03:54 PM
What differences did you notice? Got any pics of the final product?
I do but it was part of a conversion to EFI and not a good example for what a Kjet car would look like.

Most of the taped bundle in the photo posted earlier (and linked below) is alternator wire. It runs from the (+) bulkhead bolt all the way around the engine and down to the alternator. You can remove it entirely and run a much shorter lead from the (+) bolt to the jump post. I used a cable I bought at the grocery store LOL. This is how later 83 cars were made.

If you untape & remove the brown wires, then route the sensor/AC/switch wires on the sides or under the manifold, it really cleans up the appearance.

bfloyd
02-17-2020, 04:25 PM

No broken bolts on the wye pipe? Nice job. Looks kinda nasty down there. Is it leaking oil?

JBaker4981
02-19-2020, 12:56 PM
No broken bolts on the wye pipe? Nice job. Looks kinda nasty down there. Is it leaking oil?

Thanks! The Previous Owner did a great job with the restoration and swapped every bolt to new stainless steel hardware. With that said, no issues at all. The bad news is that black goo looking stuff is POR15 which I have been working on removing. It separated from the block and absorbed moisture, causing the most soaked areas of the POR15 to become wet and rubbery in texture.

I worked on it some more this past Sunday and this is the progress so far. Only have a little bit left to go.

I just received my DeLoreanGo order about 20 minutes ago which contains new silicone hoses and replacement crush washers, gaskets, etc. Plan is to clean it up and start putting humpty dumpty back together this weekend though I lack a DPI radiator that I just ordered from Josh last night.

JBaker4981
02-19-2020, 02:13 PM
If I ever have to remove my intake I am going to run as much of that ugly wiring harness underneath it as I can. Really makes the engine compartment look nice.
I definitely will at some point down the line - the placement has been quite obnoxious throughout this whole process.

AZ-D
02-20-2020, 08:41 PM
Received my freshly rebuilt fuel distributor and WUR from Fuel Injection Corp in California. Now just waiting on the injectors, cold start, and frequency valve and I will finally be ready to turn the key for the first time. Exciting to say the least.

dmcnc
02-20-2020, 09:53 PM
It's so good to see there are more options out there for rebuilding our fuel system. Looks like a pro job!

Received my freshly rebuilt fuel distributor and WUR from Fuel Injection Corp in California. Now just waiting on the injectors, cold start, and frequency valve and I will finally be ready to turn the key for the first time. Exciting to say the least.

Michael
02-20-2020, 10:01 PM

Nice! I always read the WUR was not "rebuildable" but I have never subscribed to that mindset. If you can build it, someone can rebuild it.

Oscar Goldman taught me that.

AZ-D
02-20-2020, 10:12 PM
It's so good to see there are more options out there for rebuilding our fuel system. Looks like a pro job!

Seems like a pro job! First start up will be the final test.

Nice! I always read the WUR was not "rebuildable" but I have never subscribed to that mindset. If you can build it, someone can rebuild it.

Oscar Goldman taught me that.

Maybe rebuild is not the correct word for the WUR. They tested it and called me saying that it tested out of spec. The word she used was that it needed to be "recalibrated". Looks brand new, so I am happy with the work thus far.

Either way, the turn around time was less than a week from when they received the parts till I had them back in my hand.

iflights
02-23-2020, 07:15 PM
On a 50 degree sunny day in Southeastern Michigan...of course you wake your car out of its 3 month winter slumber with a nice long drive, give it a little fresh fuel, and then put her away until mid-April.

SS Spoiler
02-24-2020, 08:41 AM
did the same thing in MT...

JBaker4981
02-24-2020, 01:51 PM
Alas I start rebuilding her. Once my new DeLorean Rad comes in, I plan to install that this weekend and pressure test the system

mr_maxime
02-24-2020, 05:02 PM
Alas I start rebuilding her. Once my new DeLorean Rad comes in, I plan to install that this weekend and pressure test the system

I used a hose to replace the old rusty pipe and that thing was a massive pain to put on. I got some generic coolant hoses from Napa but the neck off of the water pump is a larger diameter than the pipes.

Mark D
02-25-2020, 02:31 PM
Looks really good so far. The only thing I'd recommend is using a constant torque style clamp on the silicone hoses. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Breeze-CT900L-Constant-Torque-Stainless/dp/B00OL23E24

The spring built into the clamp allows it to adjust to compression set and expand/contract with temp changes. It seems to be less of an issue with rubber hoses but it's not a bad idea there either, especially if you're deep into the VOD and don't want to have to worry about leaks later on.

JBaker4981
02-26-2020, 09:19 AM
Looks really good so far. The only thing I'd recommend is using a constant torque style clamp on the silicone hoses. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Breeze-CT900L-Constant-Torque-Stainless/dp/B00OL23E24

The spring built into the clamp allows it to adjust to compression set and expand/contract with temp changes. It seems to be less of an issue with rubber hoses but it's not a bad idea there either, especially if you're deep into the VOD and don't want to have to worry about leaks later on.

Thanks man!

But Holy Crap - is that $12 each or is it a qty of them that I am not seeing?

From my understanding, rubber hoses are prone to expansion and you have to tighten the clamps again after a few Hot/Cold cycles. I was under the impression that you don't have to worry about that with Silicone hoses and SS Clamps. Is there a proper way to tighten these down? I've seen Dave McKeen mention 40 inch/lbs in a facebook post a couple of days ago. I've currently got everything shown in my last post cranked down pretty tight with a ratchet screwdriver

Mark D
02-26-2020, 11:53 AM
Thanks man!

From my understanding, rubber hoses are prone to expansion and you have to tighten the clamps again after a few Hot/Cold cycles. I was under the impression that you don't have to worry about that with Silicone hoses and SS Clamps. Is there a proper way to tighten these down? I've seen Dave McKeen mention 40 inch/lbs in a facebook post a couple of days ago. I've currently got everything shown in my last post cranked down pretty tight with a ratchet screwdriver

Yeah that one was 12 bucks, but I was like 8" in diameter, so I probably should have found a better link to use as an example. The smaller 2-3" diameter ones should only be a few dollars. Here are some different sizes of those breeze constant torque clamps:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sbreeze+constant+torque&i=industrial&ref=nb_sb_noss

As far as tightening everything down, I think I did a second round of torquing everything when I installed rubber hoses on my car just to be sure I didn't have leaks, but that was rubber.

I'm by no means an expert, but the way I understand it is that with silicone hoses the material is softer so when it expands it's more likely to extrude out from under the clamp or get damaged and shear on the edge of the clamps. If the silicone pushes out or gets cut then it releases some of the clamping force and will tend to leak after the hose has cooled back down.

Having a clamp that can expand slightly as the temp increases will help keep the desired torque and not extrude out or tear along the clamp.

The rubber vs silicone debate was a hot topic a few years back, I'm more in the rubber hose camp personally after having seen lots of failures and leaks of silicone hoses on trucks where I work.

JETS 81 DMC
02-26-2020, 01:16 PM
Good info Mark. I was not aware of that kind of clamp.

Another source, McMaster Carr for the constant torque clamps.

https://www.mcmaster.com/constant-torque-hose-clamps/

Also a lot of them on ebay. Name brand ones at a good price.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Constant+Torque+Hose+Clamps+&_sacat=0

DMC-81
02-26-2020, 08:34 PM
Thanks man!

I disagree. Hose clamps have a torque spec. It is tighter than most people can do by a screwdriver etc. Most people don't know to torque them and therefore need to go back and tighten. That's why the myth is so pervasive.

If you use a proper inch pound torque wrench on a properly positioned clamp (behind the bead in the pipe), and a properly cleaned pipe, you won't have the need to go back and tighten. You may wonder...was there a follow up service to have the dealer tighten the hose clamps when the cars were new?

Here is the spec document for OEM style clamps:

http://www.normagroup.com/norma.nsf/res/NORMACLAMP+TORRO.pdf/$file/NORMACLAMP+TORRO.pdf

When I restored my cooling system, I used this approach. During testing, the system held 15 psi not just for 15 minutes, but overnight. I didn't have to go back and tighten, and it has been solid in the 5 years since.

Bitsyncmaster
02-27-2020, 05:56 AM
Note that the cheap clamps found on the rack at auto stores will usually not take the recommended torque of name brand clamps. The good clamps also have rounded edges and no cut slots for the band so they don't cut into the hose.

I also will go back and re-torque after the clamp sits about one hour after the first torque. That may not be necessary but it does tighten a little more after sitting.

Farrar
02-27-2020, 07:34 PM
Replaced the headlamp adjusting hardware and installed the re-painted headlight buckets.

Michael
03-01-2020, 07:04 PM
Today I replaced my injectors(much faster the second time around as I did the braided lines a few weeks ago). Car runs much smoother now. (I saw a few old injectors that looked questionable when I did my lines).

Also got some more anodized goodies in from China to finish up my trunk compartment revamp.

After that I really wish my blue allen heads on order to do the hood support brackets were in but they are still in transit so I just used some gold torx I had on hand to "hold me over".

Riley88
03-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Waiting some busy work parts for the car. new belts, switch alignment panel finally, and the co plug for the 4th time lol

JBaker4981
03-10-2020, 11:01 AM
Currently working on putting her back together as time allows. I am expecting to be able to fire the engine before the weekend and then I will need to bleed the air out of the system and check for fuel leaks (goes without saying)

Jonathan
03-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Waiting some busy work parts for the car. new belts, switch alignment panel finally, and the co plug for the 4th time lol

Saw this and wanted to ask about replacing your CO plug for the 4th time. Did you lose a few before this or did they wear out?

I ask because I replaced mine a second time and it was because the little rubber end got dried out and wouldn't really sit tight and snug anymore. Had been curious if others found the same thing, so when I saw you mention it, figured I would ask the group.

Anyone found a suitable and simple replacement for the rubber end other than just buying a new one all together? (and I don't mean using a wad of chewing gum or RTV...)

bytes311
03-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Saw this and wanted to ask about replacing your CO plug for the 4th time. Did you lose a few before this or did they wear out?

I ask because I replaced mine a second time and it was because the little rubber end got dried out and wouldn't really sit tight and snug anymore. Had been curious if others found the same thing, so when I saw you mention it, figured I would ask the group.

Anyone found a suitable and simple replacement for the rubber end other than just buying a new one all together? (and I don't mean using a wad of chewing gum or RTV...)

I've used a simple vacuum cap/tip for the last few years. Parts stores carry an assortment of them.

nullset
03-13-2020, 09:40 AM
Reinstalled the Wings-Aloft-Elite. The remote start is so fun. Now if I could figure out why the wiring to the driver side door lock solenoid isn't working......

JBaker4981
03-13-2020, 11:10 AM
I put my old girl back together on Wednesday evening and fired the engine. She's running well with the exception of either air in the cooling system or a dead otterstat (jumped and confirmed fans worked). I'll finish bleeding the cooling system tomorrow or sunday to see if that resolves the Otterstat not kicking on.

Riley88
03-13-2020, 01:38 PM

Honestly I woudl say its both. My first and 2nd ones, the rubber wore down. I dont even drive my car alot, so no idea. The rubber wore down then after a short trip i parked her. Next week i went to the car and noticed it was gone. This time i remember checking the engine bay and it was there( i always do before a drive), got back and its gone again. I think the rubber wars down and it can become loose. Some people plug it with a golfball tee. If this new one disappears again, Ill be rubber coatign a golf tee and doing the same thing tbh.

Trstno1
03-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Honestly I woudl say its both. My first and 2nd ones, the rubber wore down. I dont even drive my car alot, so no idea. The rubber wore down then after a short trip i parked her. Next week i went to the car and noticed it was gone. This time i remember checking the engine bay and it was there( i always do before a drive), got back and its gone again. I think the rubber wars down and it can become loose. Some people plug it with a golfball tee. If this new one disappears again, Ill be rubber coatign a golf tee and doing the same thing tbh.

Yeah....I just replaced mine as well due to the rubber hardening. If I have to do it again I may just go to Home Depot and look for a small rubber cork. Either that or an expandable ear plug.

Patrick C
03-13-2020, 04:48 PM
Yeah....I just replaced mine as well due to the rubber hardening. If I have to do it again I may just go to Home Depot and look for a small rubber cork. Either that or an expandable ear plug.

I’ve seen wooden golf tees used as well. Seems to work.

Jonathan
03-13-2020, 04:51 PM

Good thinking. I like this one. Will have to try one seeing as I have a drawer full of earplugs handy...

Riley88
03-25-2020, 03:06 PM
Took my original 39 year old tires and rims off to be refinished! I am going with the oem style grey with a brushed face.63137

CFI
03-26-2020, 05:09 PM
Took my original 39 year old tires and rims off to be refinished! I am going with the oem style grey with a brushed face.63137

I helped!:):)

Riley88
03-26-2020, 08:26 PM
I helped!:):)

YEP! We will see how she turns out! Going to post photos when done in the two weeks its going to take them. Thanks again man, I hate dealing with suspension stuff without a lift by myself. I think im going to go remove the fuel closing plate and clean that part of the car up. I havent removed it since i have been an owner, so its due

CFI
03-27-2020, 09:40 AM
YEP! We will see how she turns out! Going to post photos when done in the two weeks its going to take them. Thanks again man, I hate dealing with suspension stuff without a lift by myself. I think im going to go remove the fuel closing plate and clean that part of the car up. I havent removed it since i have been an owner, so its due

I can’t wait to see how your wheels turn out. Abacus cleaned and repainted my fuel closing plate for me when they did the new coolant hoses.

mhanch
04-13-2020, 05:35 PM
I Topped off the Final Drive gear Oil - I couldn't drain it - the plug has a hex socket instead of the square socket - and I'm not sure of the size.

Also used a vacuum pump to change the Auto Transmission Fluid. Fast and no leaks. I'll do a filter clean some other day.

jackb
04-13-2020, 07:32 PM
Today I removed the shocks/springs for all wheels in order to upgrade.

nullset
04-13-2020, 10:57 PM
Patched the holes in the body that were turning my car into a lake.

jackb
04-15-2020, 02:14 AM
I removed the LCA spring cups with a dremel. I also smoothed off the weld remnants and opened up the hole it passes through. Tomorrow I’ll clean off all the dirt/grime and paint them to prevent corrosion.

jackb
04-17-2020, 10:39 AM
Finished installing coilovers (QA1).
Easy job, I just had to split it into three nights a because there’s no such thing as free time like there used to be pre-coronavirus school closures.
I took it for a quick spin around the block last night to make sure the wheels didn’t fall off; I’ll be going on a longer drive today to verifly/fine tune the spring height and shock settings.

Col Bennett
04-18-2020, 05:31 PM
My pride and joy came in handy today for a livestream fundraiser to support musicians and touring staff during the Covid-19 lockdown. Check out my mini interview along with two live FM-84 tracks from my garage.

Watch here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quO_WNVo1xE&t=5422s

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-04-18_live_stream.jpg

Riley88
04-18-2020, 08:13 PM
My pride and joy came in handy today for a livestream fundraiser to support musicians and touring staff during the Covid-19 lockdown. Check out my mini interview along with two live FM-84 tracks from my garage.

Watch here:

Just watched it as your album Atlas is one of my absolute favs, and it always plays in my car. Thanks for what you do man, music is amazing.

Col Bennett
04-19-2020, 09:23 PM
Just watched it as your album Atlas is one of my absolute favs, and it always plays in my car. Thanks for what you do man, music is amazing.

That's SO cool. thanks so much! :woot:

SBL
04-20-2020, 12:27 AM
I added this vinyl decal to the back panels, centered over the turn signal. Gives the car a little more "identity"

Jonathan
04-20-2020, 06:59 AM
I added this vinyl decal to the back panels, centered over the turn signal. Gives the car a little more "identity"

Looks good, Steve. You have any more showing your wide stripes on the car?

Hill Valley PD
04-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Looks good, Steve. You have any more showing your wide stripes on the car?

I second this. I go back and forth whether to add them to my car. My wife really likes them, so you know how that goes! :)

mr_maxime
04-20-2020, 10:44 AM

Watch here:

I'll be watching that when I get home. Had tickets for dance with the dead and magic sword but the show was canceled. It's got to suck to start on tour just to have all the shows canceled. I hope ticketmaster and venues are doing something to help out. I wouldn't mind if my refund for the show went to the affected artists.

SBL
04-20-2020, 09:24 PM
Actually I just put the wide stripes on and it has now been bad weather here so I have not taken any pictures yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Michael
04-20-2020, 09:32 PM

That looks classy! I like it.

bytes311
04-21-2020, 08:24 PM
Dropped off my fuel distributor at Fuel Injection Corp to have them rebuild it. They said they do business with our vendors.

63368 63369

Jonathan
04-21-2020, 09:20 PM
I have a set of those wide stripes on the way... if the mailman ever gets on with it and delivers them!

In the meantime, getting closer to finishing the fuel work I've been doing underneath the car. The weather here can't make up it's mind and is back to cold and snowing today. So my garage isn't warm enough to be laying on the floor right now. Creeper or otherwise.

I did manage to get the hardline disconnected at the accumulator. Separating that ferrule from the elbow was a PITA. I'll do some more clean-up in that area before putting things back in. We're getting close! Still need to get the rest of the ATF leak sorted out though when the fuel stuff is finished...

gluaisrothaii
04-22-2020, 10:35 AM
Using the Dream Stick.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-VkqSN8X/0/ed9f14b5/XL/IMG_5089_heic-XL.jpg (https://klevins.smugmug.com/Cars/1981-DMC-12/i-VkqSN8X/A)

SBL
04-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Jonathan,

Here are a few pictures of the car with the wide stripe. I had them on my last car, a manual trans, as well. I like the look, it breaks top the monotony of the all-silver look. Interestingly, I ordered them from Hervey, and they arrived a few days before he died.

Col Bennett
04-23-2020, 02:11 AM
Valley journey 2020 almost complete. Replaced my spark plugs, injectors, injector seals and clips. Also replaced some split electrical boots. Basically all the things I didn’t do last year - but should have. Also re-torqued the valley hoses and detailed all the bits you can’t even see. Fuel lines back on, torqued and solid. Hopefully won’t be back down there for a LONG time. And yes, that replacement clear/white cable tie under the ballast resistor bugs me when the rest are black (original). I know, I know. You know me.

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-04-22_engine_update_01.jpg

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-04-22_engine_update_02.jpg

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-04-22_engine_update_03.jpg

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-04-22_engine_update_04.jpg

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-04-22_engine_update_05.jpg

Hill Valley PD
04-23-2020, 10:38 AM
Valley journey 2020 almost complete. Replaced my spark plugs, injectors, injector seals and clips. Also replaced some split electrical boots. Basically all the things I didn’t do last year - but should have. Also re-torqued the valley hoses and detailed all the bits you can’t even see. Fuel lines back on, torqued and solid. Hopefully won’t be back down there for a LONG time. And yes, that replacement clear/white cable tie under the ballast resistor bugs me when the rest are black (original). I know, I know. You know me.

How did you get all that so clean?!

Col Bennett
04-23-2020, 10:49 AM
How did you get all that so clean?!

Haha. Thanks! Just obsessive attention to detail. I did all of the cleaning last April over two months and I keep on top of it. Interestingly, it’s all just scrubbed clean. There’s no paint, or powder coating on the engine what-so-ever. Very proud of that. The only thing that’s powder coated in there is the ballast resistor/light switch bracket at the back. I also refinished (yellow zinc) the bolts and brackets locally to bring back the original luster.

dmcnc
04-23-2020, 11:59 AM

^Mike at Midwest has a stash of those original zip ties.

Hill Valley PD
04-23-2020, 12:21 PM
Haha. Thanks! Just obsessive attention to detail. I did all of the cleaning last April over two months and I keep on top of it. Interestingly, it’s all just scrubbed clean. There’s no paint, or powder coating on the engine what-so-ever. Very proud of that. The only thing that’s powder coated in there is the ballast resistor/light switch bracket at the back. I also refinished (yellow zinc) the bolts and brackets locally to bring back the original luster.

What did you use for scrubbing? Amazing!

Col Bennett
04-23-2020, 12:35 PM
^Mike at Midwest has a stash of those original zip ties.

Awesome. I'll give him a shout. DMCCA and DMCH only have the clear ones in stock.

What did you use for scrubbing? Amazing!

Thank you! My secret weapon is Mother's Aluminum Wheel Cleaner. I used it along with a toothbrush, plastic bristle brush and in some tricky spots, a brass bristle brush. It's incredible. Cuts right through grime and minor oxidation - just be VERY careful not to spray it onto any zinc-coated parts as it'll strip the finish right off. Use towels and rags to protect coated surfaces. Take your time and work each area slowly in multiple cleaning passes.

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-04-23_mothers_aluminum_wheel_cleaner.png

Riley88
04-24-2020, 06:37 PM
3 weeks ago I sent my rims in to get refinished. The results are fantastic! I asked them to try to do a brushed style as well with original colors. Could not be happier!6341663417634186341963420

Lwanmtr
04-24-2020, 06:43 PM
Wheels look good. How much that cost ya?

steve
04-24-2020, 06:48 PM
Wheels Good Good Good but get some tire black on that rubber.:)

Michael
04-24-2020, 06:54 PM

That bay is a thing of beauty! Goes to show you don't need a lot of flash and aftermarket to have a gorgeous engine bay.

Riley88
04-24-2020, 08:03 PM
Wheels look good. How much that cost ya?

$870, mine were grimey, had curb rash and were gross. YEAH the rubber isnt cleaned, ill do that next time i take the car out. just needed to do the install today. it was to muggy, I was all nasty. Dont like to get into the car when im gross lol

Col Bennett
04-24-2020, 09:03 PM
That bay is a thing of beauty! Goes to show you don't need a lot of flash and aftermarket to have a gorgeous engine bay.

As someone who takes huge pride in your own car, that means a lot a Michael. Thanks!

SS Spoiler
04-24-2020, 10:18 PM
Just did "social distancing" car dragging Main Street.
hundreds of spectators watched from their cars. A nice
safe way to have fun.....

mr_maxime
04-26-2020, 04:49 PM
I fixed my replacement LFF as best as I could. Personally, I doubt I'll ever feel as proud of something and it really wasn't as hard as it's made out to be.

Old
https://i.imgur.com/lojRFXH.jpg?1

New Damage
https://i.imgur.com/zE4PMVS.jpg?1

Straightened. Will have someone at work weld up the crack
https://i.imgur.com/f5UHoCM.jpg?2

There's a bulge above the wheel arch, but it's really only noticeable at certain angles. I dont think I can fix it with the tools I have.
https://i.imgur.com/nYQnbDS.jpg?1

CyberBill
04-27-2020, 09:37 PM
Hi everyone - well, not something I've done today, but this week...

I bought a DeLorean. :) Picked up VIN 5510 from Mike in Fall River, MA. If all goes well it'll be in an enclosed trailer next Monday, May 4th, and over a week or so it will travel the 3000 miles to Mill Creek, WA (Seattle area).

It took a lot of coaxing to get my wife to be on board with this, haha!

Riley88
04-27-2020, 11:30 PM
Hi everyone - well, not something I've done today, but this week...

I bought a DeLorean. :) Picked up VIN 5510 from Mike in Fall River, MA. If all goes well it'll be in an enclosed trailer next Monday, May 4th, and over a week or so it will travel the 3000 miles to Mill Creek, WA (Seattle area).

It took a lot of coaxing to get my wife to be on board with this, haha!
Good luck, is it a resto build or a decent one? Post some pics when she arrives. Every time i have shipped my car, i get all giddy and seeing it come out of the truck is always a total joy!

Justin Trabue
04-28-2020, 04:23 AM

Justin Trabue
04-28-2020, 05:00 AM
DPI Radiator, condenser and brackets
Front frame extension welding and reinforcement
New Bushings for lower and upper control arms
Front lower arm support kit from Delorean go
Lower Ball Joints British made
DMC Tie Rods
DMC Dampers
Steering rack bushings
A lot of elbow grease

63478634606345963458634616346263463634646346663465 63467634706347163472634806347563473634746347763481 6347663479

mhanch
04-28-2020, 09:30 PM
Found the little end cap on the Carb inlet on the charcoal canister was crumbling apart - replaced it.

So would that cause a vacuum leak? or just a smell when warm?

Jonathan
05-02-2020, 06:30 AM
I got a replacement auto trans dipstick tube installed. That seal on the bottom of the tube is no picnic to get in properly. Something about trying to centre something over and behind your head, that you can't really see and that is limited to how much you can move it around because of what the other end is pushing up against.

Anyway, it's in. So that's new dipstick tube plus fuel filter and fuel lines all the way from the accumulator to the distributor on the engine. Still need to clean-up my air deflector shields and wow are they filthy!!

Here are some pics including what the auto trans dipstick looks like in the tube with the end of the dipstick sticking out. For reference if ever wondering where the level is compared to that seal.

Jonathan
05-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Got a set of DMC logo valve stem caps from Ed in Europe not long ago too. They look pretty good. Got absolutely raped on the exchange rate and shipping and customs charges to get it to me in Canada, but hey, I was kinda doing an experiment to see how bad it would be. Now I know.

Victor
05-02-2020, 06:32 PM
Did the Mason Jar test for the injectors & line because I knew the engine was missing one piston fire.
# 4 port from the kjet was not spraying any gazoline at all. So I switch line with injector and again no spray.

Is there anything that can be done aside from having the distributor unit reconditioned?

Thanks

And a big thanks to the trick with testing the distributor system on the « how to » section of this site.

Ron
05-02-2020, 06:54 PM
Did you notice a screen down in the FD's #4 port?

Victor
05-02-2020, 09:06 PM
Did you notice a screen down in the FD's #4 port?

Hi, I took a blue towel to remove some fuel and try to look with a flashlight but was unable to see a thing. I blew a little bit of air with compressor. I reconnect the line but that did not change anything. I did not see a screen there. I could try and take a better look tomorrow.
Thank you for your reply M. Ron.

Maybe some dirt may have cause a clog?
The car work perfectly fine until I decided to change the original fuel line, you know, to prevent fire engine...
And at the same time I cleaned the intake, and the induction body... it was quite dirty. Maybe some debris left from the cleaning got lodge in one screen or port or something...?

CriticalB
05-02-2020, 10:35 PM
Last week I finished most of my winter work - new spax adjustable shocks, springs, link and control arm bushings, trailing arm bolt kit and new TAB bushings, upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, engine mounts, ss braided flex brake hoses all around, and rebuilt the parking brakes. Today I installed stainless LCA support brackets, and I've gotta say that out of all that work, they seem to have made the most notable difference in driving. It really does feel like a different car.

Ron
05-02-2020, 11:34 PM
Hi, I took a blue towel to remove some fuel and try to look with a flashlight but was unable to see a thing. I blew a little bit of air with compressor. I reconnect the line but that did not change anything. I did not see a screen there. I could try and take a better look tomorrow.
Thank you for your reply M. Ron.

Maybe some dirt may have cause a clog?
The car work perfectly fine until I decided to change the original fuel line, you know, to prevent fire engine...
And at the same time I cleaned the intake, and the induction body... it was quite dirty. Maybe some debris left from the cleaning got lodge in one screen or port or something...?YW!
The screen should be easy to see. They have probably been removed (common).
Odd way for one to go out, but ya know what they say...

PM Sent.

CyberBill
05-04-2020, 03:36 PM
Good luck, is it a resto build or a decent one? Post some pics when she arrives. Every time i have shipped my car, i get all giddy and seeing it come out of the truck is always a total joy!

I can't wait!! Just got word that it's on the truck and should be here on Saturday. I'll definitely get some pics. :)

The car is in pretty decent shape, but is definitely a project car and needs some work. The transmission is getting swapped, binnacle and seats need to be recovered, and the frame has some rust in spots that need to be cleaned up.

Mark D
05-05-2020, 11:59 PM
I finally got mine out for spring... sorta. Just drove it about 20 feet out of the garage so I fix a few things inside the garage.

...You know, because I wouldn't want a large cast iron statue or something to fall from the rafters and land on the hood :neener::flamed::bigcry:

I was surprised that it started on the second try after having sat there since October. I did put a new battery in though since the old one was completely toast.

Maybe next weekend I'll actually drive it somewhere. It feels like it's been forever.

CyberBill
05-09-2020, 01:58 PM

5510 has safely arrived at her new home!!

Runs really well, looks beautiful, but needs some work. Transmission slips a lot when cool, but seems to get better when warm. Brakes seem REAL hard, but I don't have any other DeLoreans to compare it to. It's been a long time since I've driven a car without power steering, too!!

I'll be starting up a build thread soon. :)

Jonathan
05-09-2020, 03:17 PM

5510 has safely arrived at her new home!!

Runs really well, looks beautiful, but needs some work. Transmission slips a lot when cool, but seems to get better when warm. Brakes seem REAL hard, but I don't have any other DeLoreans to compare it to. It's been a long time since I've driven a car without power steering, too!!

I'll be starting up a build thread soon. :)

Awesome! Sure does look good!

I'll chime in about you mentioning the transmission slips a lot when cool. Assuming you're talking about an automatic here, you don't want to drive it much at all with it doing that. Certainly not aggressively. If your trans starts slipping, you might consider limping it home, but definitely don't go out bombing around until you sort out why it is doing that. You can end up damaging the internal plates and components and whatnot driving a slipping trans.

Now, why might it be slipping? I recall hearing the advice that if it is low on fluid, it slips. If it's got too much fluid, it'll leak. So check the ATF and add some if it's low.

Could also be the ATF filter is clogged and it's acting like the fluid level is low because the fluid can't get to where it needs to go.

And it definitely could also be the auto trans shift computer governor that's got problems. Those are susceptible to failing on the inside from capacitors blowing to solder joints coming apart but also failing externally because one or more of the electrical connection cables finds itself laying on top of a hot exhaust pipe. That shouldn't be hard to spot if you get the car in the air and have yourself a look.

Congrats and good luck!

CyberBill
05-09-2020, 05:12 PM
Awesome! Sure does look good!

I'll chime in about you mentioning the transmission slips a lot when cool. Assuming you're talking about an automatic here, you don't want to drive it much at all with it doing that. Certainly not aggressively. If your trans starts slipping, you might consider limping it home, but definitely don't go out bombing around until you sort out why it is doing that. You can end up damaging the internal plates and components and whatnot driving a slipping trans.

Now, why might it be slipping? I recall hearing the advice that if it is low on fluid, it slips. If it's got too much fluid, it'll leak. So check the ATF and add some if it's low.

Could also be the ATF filter is clogged and it's acting like the fluid level is low because the fluid can't get to where it needs to go.

And it definitely could also be the auto trans shift computer governor that's got problems. Those are susceptible to failing on the inside from capacitors blowing to solder joints coming apart but also failing externally because one or more of the electrical connection cables finds itself laying on top of a hot exhaust pipe. That shouldn't be hard to spot if you get the car in the air and have yourself a look.

Congrats and good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it! I do not plan on driving more than a few miles (to the service shop and back, basically) until the transmission is fixed.

Yes, it's an automatic trans - the seller knew that the trans was bad and bought a replacement before selling the car, so I have a 'new' replacement that is in transit (it is RamblinDMC's transmission, 26k miles, complete with GC). The seller had replaced the fluid and filter, but that didn't stop the slipping - my plan is to swap the transmission with the replacement, then rebuild the transmission on the bench and replace all the clutch discs, bearings, and seals. Then swap back in the newly rebuilt original and if all goes well, sell the replacement.

For now I'm going to be working on diagnosing the brakes. I'm a complete noob when it comes to cars, so I have a lot of learning ahead of me on this one!!

mr_maxime
05-10-2020, 10:14 AM
Maybe mine were also bad, but brakes are definitely harder than any other car i've hard. This was with new pads and with the rebuilt rear calipers.

CyberBill
05-10-2020, 04:30 PM
A few days before the car shipped, the seller had the hood release cable snap. He ordered a new cable but didn't have time to replace it, so that was my first task yesterday. He was able to rig up a backup line and put some vice grips on the broken release handle, so I was able to get into the hood. Took about 30 minutes or so to install, which I did record because I couldn't find a video of anyone doing the procedure. I may post that at some point in the future if the footage is good enough. Hardest part was getting the cable to snake over top of all the stuff under the dash, the rest is just a cotter pin and a couple of retaining nuts.

Now back to the brakes... My brake pedal feels soft until it goes a little down, and then is very hard to push. Whether the car is running or not, the pedal doesn't feel different at all. After watching a few hours of YouTube videos and some threads here on the brake system, I felt that the brake booster/servo was likely not functioning. I pulled the vacuum line off of the booster and it has no vacuum. So, effectively I'm running with manual non-assisted brakes, which explains why I need to use both feet to stop. :)

On the engine I found the vacuum line that splits into a T, and I took that apart and verified that when the car is running there is a very nice suction pressure there (and when it is not connected the car runs terribly). I hooked up the T, connected the end that goes to the vacuum tank, and verified that I still had good suction. This pretty much tells me that there is something wrong on the vacuum line that runs from the engine to the booster. I hooked up my air compressor to the line at the booster, used vice grips to close the line near the engine, and pumped some air into it - which did not hold. I set the air compressor to like 20-30 psi, and then started trying to hear and feel for air leaking. A quick walk around pointed me to the rear right - I took off the rear right wheel, jacked up the car, and crawled under. Unfortunately, it isn't good news. The line seems to be leaking all of the air from the hard line, somewhere above the frame on the passenger side, just above the transmission, near where the trailing arms attach. I don't think there is any way I can get to it without dropping the frame. :mecry:

I'm not in a position to do that at the moment - though it's on my TODO list - so I'm considering using a 20' 3/8" copper line, and running it under the car, zip tying it along the way. That way I can at least drive the car to the shop for an inspection. Would love to hear if anyone else has any ideas!

CyberBill
05-11-2020, 12:17 AM
I'm considering using a 20' 3/8" copper line, and running it under the car, zip tying it along the way. That way I can at least drive the car to the shop for an inspection.

It worked!! It actually worked really really well. I had to cut the hoses off the ends of the hardline, since they were so corroded that they wouldn't move. But the whole process probably took me 1 1/2 - 2 hours. 3/8" line was roughly $25 at Lowes, and I used hose clamps on each end. The vacuum is holding perfectly, and the brakes actually work now!! I don't have to sue both feet to stop from 10 miles per hour!! :D

Col Bennett
05-12-2020, 04:23 PM
Part A1000020 - still in its original shipping box from 1981. After three years of searching, I finally tracked down one of my most wanted NOS parts - a gorgeous set of original mats.

The seller shipped them to me in the original box. He snapped a blurry photo of the original UPS labels featuring the old UPS C.O.D. tag for $90.24. They’ve been in the box for 39 years - totally unused and totally perfect.

It’s amazing to see the glue on the Velcro adhesive strips totally crystallized and brittle. Just love the little details like this. A total time capsule.

Just had to share my excitement.

PS. Sorry they’re covered in fluff. I haven’t had the time to meticulously vacuum them yet.

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-05-12_nos_mats.jpg

Col Bennett
05-12-2020, 10:01 PM
A few shots of my messy garage and toilet paper collection - oh, and a few quick snaps of the underside of my pride and joy after detailing her today. There’s a couple of minor things to perfect under there, but very proud of the old girl.

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-05-12_underside_detail_01.jpg

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-05-12_underside_detail_02.jpg

Bitsyncmaster
05-13-2020, 06:35 AM
A few shots of my messy garage and toilet paper collection - oh, and a few quick snaps of the underside of my pride and joy after detailing her today. There’s a couple of minor things to perfect under there, but very proud of the old girl.

Nice job.

It looks like that speedo cable hangs a little low. Would not want it to hit road bumps.

Jonathan
05-13-2020, 08:02 AM

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-05-12_underside_detail_01.jpg

http://content.colinbennett.com/dmc/2020-05-12_underside_detail_02.jpg

Yea, wow, that looks really nice. Perfect is quite the lofty goal, on these cars, or just in general.

I noticed how your passenger side parking brake cable runs under the trans and does not have the same clip I have on my own. I wasn't sure if this was something only on the automatics or if you were missing it. No intention to nit-pick (of course), just thinking of what else remains for that pursuit of perfection.

I'll try and show you what I mean. It's technically attached to the final drive and includes a small L-shaped bracket that has one end going through one of those lower bolts, with the other end just an open edge of metal. You then slide on one of those edge clips (SP10728 ) and allow the open, round portion of the edge clip to be in position to hold the parking brake cable.

I cannot seem to find it on the drawings at the moment, so wasn't sure if it was legit and on all cars, or just something made-up on my car only.

dmcnc
05-13-2020, 08:15 AM
Here's what it looks like on Manuals.

Col Bennett
05-13-2020, 05:15 PM
Nice job. It looks like that speedo cable hangs a little low. Would not want it to hit road bumps.
Thanks Dave. Good catch. Yeah it hangs a little low. Rob Grady adjusted it for me a while ago, but it's possibly slipped down over the years. Gonna dig into it again.

No intention to nit-pick (of course), just thinking of what else remains for that pursuit of perfection.
Not at all. My car has always looked like this as far as I'm aware. Danny Botkin and Rob Grady have both worked on the car and have never mentioned it. It's a good observation though and I'll dig into it as I want to make sure it's accurate. Thanks!

Here's what it looks like on Manuals.
Cool. Nice reference. Rob Grady adjusted my handbrake cable a while ago so I'm not sure if mine was removed from the clip for a reason. Maybe it never had a clip. Either way, it's a good catch and I'll see if I can route it differently to make sure it's accurate.

Thanks guys!