PDA

View Full Version : General What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

opethmike
03-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Washed mine, and drove it a bunch. Handed the keys to my friend Mike who owns an Esprit. He was very impressed with the engine upgrades.

brianman72
03-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Today I took the intake off and took the waterpump off to send out to be rebuilt took the back bumper off and started to take the exhaust off so I can take the heads off and put new cams in and have the heads redone :headbang:

AdmiralSenn
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Discovered that with desperation, a propane torch, some pliers, and stupidity, it is technically possible to convert a driver's side window motor to a passenger side one.

Whether it will work for longer than a few minutes remains to be seen. It will be replaced soon in any case, I do not intend to leave a jerry-rigged fix in the door over the long term!

seventy4burban
03-12-2012, 12:03 AM
When I get back from Florida on Saturday, I will be replacing my A/C evaperator and if my order arrives from Houston by then, installing a headliner set. Pretty excited about the A/C, okay I'm lying I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Almost got the A/C evaporator job finished. All that's left if to put the center console back together and re-install the passenger seat. Just to worn out to finish tonight. Besides the hard part is done!

Kenny_Z
03-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Red's engine cover is looking good, Kenny! :smile:

Thanks, It's all complete now.

http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/Projects/cover29.jpg

See? Already catching leaves and debris blowing around in the storm this morning. On a related note, is there a best practice for cleaning those tubs below the side windows? Leaning over the rear fascia is difficult for a short guy like me.

ccurzio
03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Oil change.

Man, they're easy enough to do but if anyone has any tips for not having oil drain all over the driveway (short of throwing down a disposable tarp or taking it to a lube shop), I'm all ears.

jawn101
03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Oil change.

Man, they're easy enough to do but if anyone has any tips for not having oil drain all over the driveway (short of throwing down a disposable tarp or taking it to a lube shop), I'm all ears.

After I did my first one I had the same thought. "There must have been a way to avoid the mess I just made" - there's so much oil and that plug is so close to the frame crossmember that it just ended up everywhere. I think next time I'll slightly elevate the rear end so that it drains at a more predictable angle. And putting down some huge cardboard sheets wouldn't hurt either.

sean
03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Oil change.

Put an oil catch under the drain plug when your remove it :dunno: Never really had the problem you are describing.

ccurzio
03-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Put an oil catch under the drain plug when your remove it :dunno: Never really had the problem you are describing.

I've got one - flat with a wide mouth at the top. It catches the majority of the oil, but as soon as it starts draining with the plug completely out the oil stream goes straight onto the frame and the stream splits in about twenty different directions.

After I did my first one I had the same thought. "There must have been a way to avoid the mess I just made" - there's so much oil and that plug is so close to the frame crossmember that it just ended up everywhere. I think next time I'll slightly elevate the rear end so that it drains at a more predictable angle. And putting down some huge cardboard sheets wouldn't hurt either.

I did that this time. Put the rear of the car on jack stands. Didn't help.

Though the main reason for the jack stands was so I had an easier time getting to the drain plug. I highly recommend having the jack stands at the very least, but ramps would be better.

sean
03-12-2012, 02:29 PM
I've got one - flat with a wide mouth at the top. It catches the majority of the oil, but as soon as it starts draining with the plug completely out the oil stream goes straight onto the frame and the stream splits in about twenty different directions.

Ive seen owners use a piece of scrap plastic(cut up milk jug to be specific) to act like a deflector to prevent it from hitting the frame.

Farrar
03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I heat up the engine and use a vacuum pump to suck the oil out the dipstick through a long rigid tube that goes down to the bottom of the oil pan. Anything left at the bottom of the pan at that point is not under much pressure from gravity so it just drips out.

Jonathan
03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Ive seen owners use a piece of scrap plastic(cut up milk jug to be specific) to act like a deflector to prevent it from hitting the frame.

+1 ...or a small piece of cardboard works as well. You just want to angle it on about a 45 and for the most part it all deflected down and went in my catch container thingy. I had the back end up in the air on ramps when I did this so that might have helped the angle. Plus it's easier to get in there to get a hand on the drain plug/wrench and oil filter.

hollywood2311
03-12-2012, 05:21 PM
I just drain it and then wipe the frame with a rag afterward. If I were smart I'd get the fumoto valve before I changed the oil a couple of weekends ago.

jawn101
03-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Drove it to work. Coworkers who only see the car maybe once a week tops noticed the dramatic improvement in appearance thanks to the lowering springs. Fixing that vacuum leak at the WUR improved power when cold and the new transmission oil has worked its way in and shifts are feeling significantly smoother.

Started checking my CO mixture, not for any particular reason, just for the educational factor.

vwdmc16
03-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Awesome Jon! We should have lowered that baby long ago. it totally makes these cars look better. Glad the shifting is better, I was able to feel the difference in my transmission with the MTL almost immediately but maybe that was because my trans is worse for wear.

dvonk
03-12-2012, 10:00 PM
If I were smart I'd get the fumoto valve before I changed the oil a couple of weekends ago.

i have Fumoto valves (http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/) on both my and my girlfriend's DDs, love the convenience. i was under the impression from this thread--Quick Oil Drain Valve (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1054-Quick-Oil-Drain-Valve)--that that a DeLorean didnt have the clearance to fit one... unfortunately i have never seen the underside of a D in person, so i cant really comment on the validity of that statement. i would still be interested in the results if someone were to try, however.

let it be known that the "quick" is an adjective to "valve," not to "drain." the reduced bandwidth makes it slightly slower than a standard oil pan plug, but is more convenient. :wink:

vwdmc16
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I dont see how removing a simple plug a few times a year is inconvenient.

dmc6960
03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Removed wipers and cowling in preparation for windshield replacement.

ccurzio
03-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Replaced the air filter, as well as the leather shift boot with the improved metal-frame model from DMCH.

seventy4burban
03-15-2012, 12:10 AM
When I get back from Florida on Saturday, I will be replacing my A/C evaperator and if my order arrives from Houston by then, installing a headliner set. Pretty excited about the A/C, okay I'm lying I'm not looking forward to it at all.

A/C Evaporator job complete, but now I have a broken headlight switch. You can never win. Gonna drive the car tomorrow, its been too long.

dmc6960
03-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Removed the 3 windshield trim pieces in preparation for windshield replacement.

jawn101
03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Discovered that a PO obliterated my mixture screw while drilling out the tamper proof plug in the mixture control unit. And that the mixture is stuck far too rich. Cursed a lot. Between Dave at Midwest and Clint, I think I'll have it fixed for about 25 bucks. Frustrating but not the end of the world and it's all thanks to the great people in this little community.

Go buy stuff from Dave and Julee. I'd walk around naked with a sandwich board saying that if I thought it would help them... which it wouldn't... :lol:

MTDMC
03-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Got it out of winter storage yesterday. I just took it out for a drive today.

pezzonovante88
03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Took it to work today. FINALLY got it saftied. Ordered a new door mechanism rod and some interior clips from DMCH.

Jonathan
03-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Got a little dose of Vitamin DMC-12!! Took 3937 out for a spin and put the 1st few miles of the season on her (well, not according to the odometer of course...). Giddyup!!!

Farrar
03-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Wire-wheeled, sanded, cleaned, dried, and painted with black oil-based Rustoleum the passenger seat hardware. Just one coat so far. I plan to put at least three coats on before re-installing the seat.

Dangermouse
03-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Decided to change the oil today. While the old stuff was draining, I took the new Bosch filter out of the trunk where it has sat for months and months.

Noticed that it was longer and narrower than the one that is on. It's a Bosch 3421. WFT did I buy ? Checked the cross reference list on here and found two Bosch numbers, neither one being 3421. I'll need to sort through my receipts and see where I got it from. I know I didn't just pick it at random.

Left the old filter on temporarily and filled it up with oil while I get a new one.

Bugger!

Michael
03-18-2012, 05:22 AM
T-20 days until the first cruise-in of the year. I backed 5609 out and washed it last night and began the process of detailing her. With work as busy as it is, I will spend the next few weeks(an hour or so here and there) getting her flawless for her first meet of the year. I detailed and waxed the frame before winter storage last year, but I just like to nit-pick.

I have this thing about perfect graining, it irks me to see a curved line or a "off angle" scratch in the grain. A few years ago, I spent the better part of a month regraining my car. When it comes to regraining, the hardest spots to get right were the doors' A pillars, the quarter "c" pillars, and the wheel arches. 5609's grain looks pretty darn good now, but everytime I detail it I look for a scratch or inconsistant grain that I missed and correct it. The thing is that the car looks perfect in most light, but if I were to go around it with a work light, a flaw always seems to show up. This year she will look right in any light.

ccurzio
03-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Decided to change the oil today. While the old stuff was draining, I took the new Bosch filter out of the trunk where it has sat for months and months.

Noticed that it was longer and narrower than the one that is on. It's a Bosch 3421. WFT did I buy ? Checked the cross reference list on here and found two Bosch numbers, neither one being 3421. I'll need to sort through my receipts and see where I got it from. I know I didn't just pick it at random.

Left the old filter on temporarily and filled it up with oil while I get a new one.

Bugger!

I've got a couple of spare filters if you need one, but DMCH can probably ship you one faster than I can get you one of mine. Let me know.

EDIT: I might actually be down in the city today if Buddy is going to be at Freeside, so if you want to pop by today I can also bring the filter. I'm just waiting to hear back from Buddy.

Dangermouse
03-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Appreciate the offer but I refilled the oil so I'll just get one from DMCH and do it again later.

Bring a spare one along next week anyway because of course the one on the car may be the wrong one and I'd like to compare.

pezzonovante88
03-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Took it out for a quick spin. Got stopped for speeding (78kph in a 50 zone). Got a warning, but got a $110 fine for my temporary plate expiring. My fault, I know. Car is back in the garage.

mluder
03-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Spent St. Paddy's Day working on my Irish car. My brother-in-law came over again to help out.

This time we replaced:
Catalytic convertor - the old one was completely shattered inside.
O2 Sensor - Old one was fouled and black with soot from a too rich condition.
Fuel injectors - Newer ones to replace the old ones which weren't closing properly and dripping excess fuel - see above.
New aluminum heat sheild to romve the cancer causing asbestos.

Dialed in the fule/air mixture with the dwell meter and she's fluxing perfectly... no more big swings out of range and the gas smell is gone from the exhaust. I think I'm gonna roll the dice at DEQ tomorrow and see if she'll pass emissions. If so - custom plates and I'll be free to drive it regularly.

Slainte.

Steven

Chris Burns
03-18-2012, 05:21 PM
New aluminum heat sheild to romve the cancer causing asbestos.

That's for the muffler right?

mluder
03-19-2012, 12:34 AM
That's for the muffler right?

Yep. Bought the standard size one from John Hervey at SpecialT.

I also installed his catalytic convertor which had a heat shield built in.

Steve

dmc6960
03-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Removed one retaining strip for the four engine cover vents. (yea, I really work fast sometimes!) This is in preparation for soundproofing the engine lid. The OEM vents will not be going back on. Will be for sale with the retaining strips.

vwdmc16
03-19-2012, 12:41 AM
ooh I could use a few of those strips, but I do have another idea to retain my grilles as the stock ones arent that tight fitting.

I refilled my coolant but ill have to wait to bleed it later. also started on making a stainless replacement for my rusty bent rear fascia support.

rundmc
03-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Lowered the rear SPAX shocks slightly with my new spanners from Jegs. Installed Hervey clutch bleeder and bled clutch. Played chicken with a determined leaking water pump plug bolt (and lost). Turned, made a fist, punched garage wall, fist went through the sheet rock, big hole. Wasn't totally expecting that.

SIMid
03-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Got pissed off with my slipping box. :angry0:

Farrar
03-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Turned, made a fist, punched garage wall, fist went through the sheet rock, big hole. Wasn't totally expecting that.

Wow, I guess what my parents said about plaster walls really is true... Good luck cooling off!

jackb
03-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Got pulled over, let off with a warning to just slow down. 83 in a 65. I was on a downhill passing cars like it was my job, but it didn't feel fast at all.

pezzonovante88
03-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Got pulled over, let off with a warning to just slow down. 83 in a 65. I was on a downhill passing cars like it was my job, but it didn't feel fast at all.

'Tis the season for radar blitzes.

dvonk
03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Wow, I guess what my parents said about plaster walls really is true...

i bet if i punched the plaster and lath walls in our 1992 home id end up with a broken hand... :nervous:

Farrar
03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
i bet if i punched the plaster and lath walls in our 1992 home id end up with a broken hand... :nervous:

They were still using plaster and lath in 1992? Nice! My parents' house was built a hundred years ago and every apartment I've rented was built in the 1970s or later and has drywall everywhere. I abhor that stuff.

dvonk
03-20-2012, 01:57 PM
oops, typo... should read 1922! :lol:

apparently drywall started replacing plaster & lath in the late '50s because it was cheaper and easier. i personally like plaster & lath better, although patching/repairing is definitely more of a pain the the ass... :wink:

Farrar
03-20-2012, 02:14 PM
patching/repairing is definitely more of a pain the the ass... :wink:

But a great bonding experience, in my case. My family all pitched in to help restore that old house. I became good at gouging cracks, spackling, sanding, and re-painting. :)

dvonk
03-20-2012, 03:14 PM
i actually enjoyed teaching myself how to do it, and figuring out a creative way to fix the unusual areas of the wall & ceiling.

i am mostly to blame for it taking so long: the no-experience "learn as i go," and my anal OCD approach of making sure it is done right the first time so i dont have to do it again.

but now i show it off to friends when they come over. :biggrin:

mluder
03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
After a marathon session on Saturday replacing injectors, O2 sensor, and catalytic convertor I decided to roll the dice at the DEQ and try to pass emissions.

Not only did I pass, I did so spectacularly.

Now I can get regular issue plates and drive my car all the time.

Steve

jawn101
03-20-2012, 05:32 PM
After a marathon session on Saturday replacing injectors, O2 sensor, and catalytic convertor I decided to roll the dice at the DEQ and try to pass emissions.

Not only did I pass, I did so spectacularly.

Now I can get regular issue plates and drive my car all the time.

Steve

Congrats! Passing smog has been a real fear of mine since I got the car. One day I'll get the letter to go in, and I'm determined to be ready.

WelmoedJ
03-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Owe you a report, which is more than "what have you done today"...

Started out a couple of weeks ago searching for a leak in the cooling system.
Loosing about a quart over a couple of months, so it couldn't be a very serious problem.
As it seemed to come from somewhere near the waterpump (heater connection?) so I had to remove the intake system.
Found the leak to be a seeping hose at the waterpump to the right cilinder bank.
And yes, the VoD has caught all of the fluid.
To make sure all could be cleaned I removed the waterpump and Y-pipe.
The last (lower) bolt on the waterpump gave way and broke so I had to drill out the remains and to get sufficient I removed rear facia and muffler.
Everything is spic and span now and ready for a rebuild.

As my rear main harness didn't look too well, I also decided to strip the tape and redo that.
While in the harness I took the time to separate the wiring for the starter and alternator from the loom and make a new loom at the right side directly to the connectors in the coil box.
Retaping both looms was done in half a day and putting new dust covers on the Bosch connectors was a bit more difficult.
Now all wiring looks new.

Waterpump, Y-pipe and hoses are put together, muffler is installed again.
Next will be pressure testing the cooling system, prior to re-installing the intake manifold and mixture unit.

Farrar
03-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Put the second coat of Rustoleum on the passenger seat bottom.

Bitsyncmaster
03-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Put the second coat of Rustoleum on the passenger seat bottom.

That's one of the nice things with enamel paint. No critical times to add the second coat and no prep needed between coats. Only thing I don't like is solvent will soften it.

Farrar
03-20-2012, 07:46 PM
That's one of the nice things with enamel paint. No critical times to add the second coat and no prep needed between coats. Only thing I don't like is solvent will soften it.

With any luck, I won't have the seats sitting insolvent like they sat in water. Fingers crossed!

dmc6960
03-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Removed the rest of the engine cover vents, retaining strips, and 50 clips. Missingeons 300mm strip. Everything for sale in the next few weeks. Need to hold on to them for a little longer for measurements.

Jack
03-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Repaired Craig Display

sadeeky
03-21-2012, 12:32 AM
New Headliner installed. The folks at DMCFL did a great job!!!

sadeeky
03-21-2012, 12:34 AM
New Headliner installed. The folks at DMCFL did a great job!!!

Here is a picture

mluder
03-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Have you had any luck finding replacement belts for the tape mechanism? My radio works great but the tape drive is shot as the belts and band have turned to mush.

Steve

Repaired Craig Display

Jack
03-21-2012, 01:15 AM
Have you had any luck finding replacement belts for the tape mechanism? My radio works great but the tape drive is shot as the belts and band have turned to mush.
Before the display broke I attempted to have the belts replaced by a local stereo place.
There wasn't even enough belt left for them to figure out wow many it had or which way they run.
I've never seen a functioning tape deck in person, nor found a picture online of the belt/s orientation.
Plus according to the shop the load mechanism was shot.
The band to my knowledge has to be repaired otherwise the entire display has to be swapped from a donor radio.
The wires I ran are non flexible so I have "jammed" the display to stop people from pushing the display in.
Which by the way was how it got broke in the first place.

seventy4burban
03-21-2012, 02:00 AM
Got the air conditioner charged.. I have A/C now!!! Started installing new headliners. About 75% done. Just have to cut and glue the right side up and install the passenger door piece.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

deloumis
03-21-2012, 02:08 AM
Pulled my transmission off, took me a while to figure out how to remove the shifter cable. Rebuild process will begin Saturday hopefully.

vwdmc16
03-21-2012, 02:08 AM
Rear Fascia support was sanded down and cracks and holes filled with epoxy. should be good to paint tomorrow

Farrar
03-21-2012, 09:53 AM
I've never seen a functioning tape deck in person,

Damn, I feel old. My most recently-bought tape deck was purchased in 2000 and I still use it.

I also have a tape deck in my computer at home.

Jack
03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Damn, I feel old. My most recently-bought tape deck was purchased in 2000 and I still use it.

I also have a tape deck in my computer at home.

LOL
I was referring to the Craig w460 tape deck.
Does any body have a pic of the belts installed?

thirdmanj
03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Took 1258 out today (cloudy and a bit rainy) to test my newly installed weather stripping... well, it doesn't seem to be that much more effective than the old stuff, but it looks pretty.

pezzonovante88
03-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Intalled new door lock rod and reinstalled the poorly fitting door panels, escutcheon, etc. back on the passenger door. Door still does not close perfectly, but it does work. I also "back to blacked" the exterior black trim. Took it for a drive as well.

Squall67584
03-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't own one yet, but went down to DMCH and bought some shirts and a poster. Also got to look through the window at JZD's company car that they're restoring. Loved seeing all the D's outside, and tried to explain all the differences to my girlfriend who just nodded. There was one that was painted matte black which she liked. One of them had something that looked odd near and to the left of the fluid bottle, but I couldn't tell what it was with the louvers and engine cover on. Looked like it connected with something that resembled the airbox. I wanted to sit in one, but they said all the doors were locked since they're customer cars. Made sense to me.

Jonathan
03-21-2012, 07:23 PM
...also started on making a stainless replacement for my rusty bent rear fascia support.

Another club member!! LOL

Man, was my original ever crooked! You could see the 8 rectangular shapes in the bumper a little less than symmetrical on the left side. I still haven't put the new one on (in that pic from a DMCMW order at one point). I got the SS stud mounts also but need to devise some way to secure those to the plastic that's within my skillset. How did you put yours back together? Did you have to do anything with any of your bolts?

DeLorean
03-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Took 2638 for a spin, gave rides of 2 folks who had never driven in a DeLo before- They both just about died from excitement. Also, washed the car, and placed back in my "downstairs" dehumidified garage.

Should be ready to roll again soon...

seventy4burban
03-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Finished headliners. Looks great. Next up seat covers....

vwdmc16
03-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Another club member!! LOL

Man, was my original ever crooked! You could see the 8 rectangular shapes in the bumper a little less than symmetrical on the left side. I still haven't put the new one on (in that pic from a DMCMW order at one point). I got the SS stud mounts also but need to devise some way to secure those to the plastic that's within my skillset. How did you put yours back together? Did you have to do anything with any of your bolts?

check my thread in this other forum over the next few days

http://davismsports.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1522&start=330

Ive removed the old studs that were busted but havent got the glue for the new ones, its called "Panel 60" which is what Josh @ DPI recommends for use with the studs i got from him. Atleast 5 need to be changed

jawn101
03-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Did a very successful "Elvis" modification to my door lock controller. New diodes, resistors and transistors. Word to the wise, when doing those transistors check your BCE terminals very carefully to avoid having to remove and reverse them like I did :)

Next stop, reduced standby current and a much happier battery!

Denver DMC
03-25-2012, 03:25 AM
With help of fellow Rocky Mountain DeLorean club members (Dan, Matt, and Clint - thanks), worked on suspension and added lots of new parts - lowering springs, four shocks, rebuilt brake calipers, new brake pads, tie rod ends, lower ball joints and front wheel bearings, Firestone tires, SS brake lines, and lots of cleaning and some repainting of suspension parts. Great improvement all around.

pezzonovante88
03-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Did some scratch removal with the blending pads. Sprayed underneath the rear-end and degreased. Applied some AutoGlym leather conditioner. Maybe I'll take it for a spin later.

rundmc
03-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Prepped cold start valve for re-installation - new o-ring. Added missing screw to trim piece above rear window - discovered that trim piece is cracked on the passenger side above the screw and roof tab (which explains why my roof panel on that side doesn't sit flush).

Investigated weakening luggage compartment cable - found a broken strand. Removed entire assembly (so I wouldn't lock myself out of the compartment accidentally) and removed inner cable from main carrier.

sean
03-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Prepped cold start valve for re-installation - new o-ring. Added missing screw to trim piece above rear window - discovered that trim piece is cracked on the passenger side above the screw and roof tab (which explains why my roof panel on that side doesn't sit flush).

Investigated weakening luggage compartment cable - found a broken strand. Removed entire assembly (so I wouldn't lock myself out of the compartment accidentally) and removed inner cable from main carrier.

Good time to add a backup cable?

pezzonovante88
03-25-2012, 04:26 PM

I just discovered mine is pretty frayed at the release handle. Looks like a new cable or backup cable is in the cards.

rundmc
03-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Yep. Definitely.

rundmc
03-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Secured upper radiator hose bracket to A/C compressor mounting point. Cleaned valley of all remaining coolant. Cleaned Pipe of Agony, Brass ring and CSV pipe of old sealant left behind by P.O. in preparation for re-assembly.

jawn101
03-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Removed my new radiator duct, removed the lower radiator support brackets, bent them back into the right shape, and reinstalled everything. Now the duct fits!

SIMid
03-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Heard a really bad rattle while the engine is running. Thought maybe the exhaust was coming loose or maybe a bracket coming undone. Found out that there was a small rock stuck between the muffler and heat sheild causing the vibrating noise.

dmc6960
03-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Ordered a UV/IR windshield in preparation for windshield replacement.

dmc6960
03-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Removed passenger seat and disassembled rails and removed original seat covers.

In preparation for new covers and heating/cooling.

pezzonovante88
03-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Removed passenger seat and disassembled rails and removed original seat covers.

In preparation for new covers and heating/cooling.

Ooh. We'll have to see pics when you're done.

dmc6960
03-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Ooh. We'll have to see pics when you're done.

You can see pics right now of the removal. Head on over to the Custom section...

seventy4burban
03-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Changed the engine oil, the transmission oil and greased the ball joints.

Farrar
03-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Took the wood panel out from behind the passenger seat and -- surprise! -- found more damage.

Made a new wood panel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t24Owr9cCV4

jawn101
04-01-2012, 12:44 AM
A lot.

Removed the mixture control unit and intake manifold. Rebuilt the mixture unit (CO adjustment screw was messed up and couldn't be turned). Cleaned out the valley again - removed a lot of coolant that had leaked out of a loose water pump back hose, which we fixed. Installed a new heater control valve and hoses. Installed DPNW's auto bleeder. Pressure tested the coolant system at 20 PSI and fixed every last drip. New RH rocker cover gasket. New spark plugs. New W-pipe gaskets and O-rings. All new copper washers at the FD. Installed Hervey's remote clutch bleeder. Discovered that the clutch fluid is dirtier than I thought. Good thing it's easy to bleed now. Discovered that the driver's side door has a water leak at the A-pillar. Never drove in the rain before.

Everything back together and running very well. Only problem now is a very high idle. It's even at around 750 until the O2 sensor wakes up, then it seems to sit at about 1200. That didn't used to happen.... But it's dark and I'm very tired now, so I'll deal with that tomorrow or during the week.

Thanks again Clint!

Bitsyncmaster
04-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Put the passenger door mercury switch in today.

Those dam roof seals have to go. My drivers door will not open all the way on it's own because the roof seal has actually folded over and is binding.

Jonathan
04-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Finished outfitting the rear of the frame with wheely bars for the upcoming V8 swap out. I haven't decided on whether I'm going with the braking parachute or not. The rear quarter panels didn't turn out that bad afterall once they were reshaped to accommodate the 24" rear tires that had to go on.

jawn101
04-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Finished outfitting the rear of the frame with wheely bars for the upcoming V8 swap out. I haven't decided on whether I'm going with the braking parachute or not. The rear quarter panels didn't turn out that bad afterall once they were reshaped to accommodate the 24" rear tires that had to go on.

LOL, nicely done.

Farrar
04-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Put the seats in. Having no carpet makes the stud holes easier to find. Nonetheless, I learned something; put the studs nearest the console in first, that way you can just make sure everything is lined up on the side that you can SEE. I did it the other way around, and while feeling where the rear stud was, the seat came down and bit a chunk out of my middle finger. :(

Fun conversation with the girlfriend:

"Cleaning the rust off that wrench again?"
"No, not this time. This time it's blood."
"Do I want to know?"
"Probably not."
"OK, then."

:lol:

dvonk
04-02-2012, 04:46 PM
if youre not bleeding youre not working hard enough! :biggrin:

jawn101
04-02-2012, 08:57 PM
With a little help from Dave S, fixed the high idle Clint and I caused during our air meter rebuild this weekend. Turned out to be simple - we either knocked off or neglected to reinstall the electrical connector to the vacuum advance solenoid. Hooked that back up (finding it back there was the hardest part) and set the mixture perfectly. Result is a nice smooth idle, with no hunting and no gas smell in the exhaust.

ccurzio
04-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Washed it. It got covered in pollen and shit just from sitting in my driveway while I worked on it over the past few days.

It was gross, now it's clean and shiny.

John U
04-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Finally got the shock replaced on the left rear and repainted the spring.
What a pain that was....I really have a fear of compressed springs :nervous:

WelmoedJ
04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Today I solved some little irritations.

1. Re-enforced the support bracket of the cooling pipe below the expansion bottle.
That bracket is too weak to hold up the weight of the cooling pipes/hoses and by sagging it rips the air inlet hose where the hose meets the screw of the bracket.

2. Replaced the Rheostat for a new model which has a bit higher resistance (100 Ohm) but also nicely regulates power to the LEDS in the instruments panel.

jawn101
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
A wash and a drive. Also made a slightly better CO plug out of a rubber bumper stop that I shaved down a bit. The one on the stick wasn't quite big enough to seal, and the stick was too tall and kept getting knocked down by the engine cover.

dmc6960
04-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Bought a replacement cross-reference AC blower motor. Got the correct PM106 this time which turns the correct direction. I checked before I bought it. Back in 2001 I got the PM105 which turned the wrong way and for the past 11 years I've had it wired backwards. Certainly one advantage of having a "plastic" car.

Farrar
04-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Bought a replacement cross-reference AC blower motor. Got the correct PM106 this time which turns the correct direction.

Is that the Four Seasons brand one? I installed it in my car and it works fine. Some of the other cross-reference blower motors don't seem to have the right length stud for the squirrel cage.

82DMC12
04-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Bought a replacement cross-reference AC blower motor. Got the correct PM106 this time which turns the correct direction. I checked before I bought it. Back in 2001 I got the PM105 which turned the wrong way and for the past 11 years I've had it wired backwards. Certainly one advantage of having a "plastic" car.

Hmmm. I bought a new AC blower at a Napa around then. I always thought the blower was weak. Wonder if I have the same problem.

dmc6960
04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Is that the Four Seasons brand one? I installed it in my car and it works fine. Some of the other cross-reference blower motors don't seem to have the right length stud for the squirrel cage.

Its labeled "Siemens PM106" on a sticker on the motor. Its NAPA part number is "BK 6551005". Napa online also lists it as a Balkamp product, which it was not when I got it at their warehouse store. When I was searching specifically for a "Siemens PM106" previously, it resulted in Siemens having discontinued production. The part I bought was absolutely full of dust so it had been there for a long while. I've swapped the cage over and it fits fine. All thats left for that quick project is to put it back in the car.

dmc6960
04-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Hmmm. I bought a new AC blower at a Napa around then. I always thought the blower was weak. Wonder if I have the same problem.

Dont even get me started on weak blower performance!

Now that I am started, things which could cause poor blower performance...

Wrong motor (spins backwards, should be CCW when looking down at shaft)
Wrong squirrel cage (should have an arrow on it indicating proper direction, again CCW)
Debris plugging evaporator (stick your DROID BIONIC through the motor opening and take a picture)
Air leakage in back of HVAC box (the "hot air leak" issue with the rear sealing foam)
Air leakage into doors (the two door vents get the most out of the blower, if their going to waste your loosing a LOT)
Debris plugging fresh air intake (though you shouldn't notice this when on MAX AC)

Anymore bits on blower fans and AC performance we can take to an AC thread!

jawn101
04-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Debris plugging fresh air intake (though you shouldn't notice this when on MAX AC)

I keep meaning to ask this and forgetting... where is the fresh air intake located?

82DMC12
04-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Under the plastic grill below the windshield on passenger side.

seventy4burban
04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I found out that the bearings in my water pump are shot :mad2: As if that was bad enough I was planning to take the car on a road trip to DMC Cali tomorrow.

dmc6960
04-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Finished installing new blower motor. Good to have at least one thing crossed off the list now.

John U
04-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Cut the nuts off my DeLorean..

the nuts on the top of the rear left shock were seized so after rounding them off, I used the Dremel tool on them!

pezzonovante88
04-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Using Leatherique on the the DMCH seat covers. The car is sitting in the sun right now. The leathers are pretty much fine, but I thought I'd treat them to a good rejuvenation. Also removed some scratches.

Ron
04-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Getting closer...

vwdmc16
04-06-2012, 11:33 PM
I finished my hand made Stainless rear fascia support/heat shield

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/vwdmc16/dmc/IMG_0052.jpg

jawn101
04-07-2012, 12:10 AM
I finished my hand made Stainless rear fascia support/heat shield

Looks good man! Glad it finally got done.

vwdmc16
04-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks now I just need that glue to put the fascia back on.

Lenny
04-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I took it to the Car Wash today to get ready for the Celebration car show next week. I like to run it through the car wash to get started. Anyway they had a special today to condition the seats, armor all (or whatever they use) the dash, tires, shampoo the carpets, etc.

Anyway when they started drying it off and doing the interior I told the kid I was going to a car show next week. He was excited to be working on a Delorean and did a better job than I would. He worked for 45 minutes Armor All'ed everything, used a brush to get in the cracks, etc. He then told me he hopped the car showed well. I was so impressed with the job he did I tipped him $20.

Farrar
04-07-2012, 03:12 PM
In the heat, some excess leather conditioner came out of the seats. I went outside and wiped that off today. Then I came back inside to drill holes in my replacement wood piece for behind the passenger seat. The drill bound up, ripping and splitting the wood, and pushing off the smaller wood panel adhered to the back of the larger one.

seventy4burban
04-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Yesterday I drove up to DMC California with the seats to have them recovered. Today I re-installed the seats in the Delorean. Man what a difference.

jackb
04-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Changed the transmissions gear oil. I used Valvoline 80w90.

Farrar
04-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Replaced rubber/plastic vacuum tubes with silicone.

When I was replacing the vacuum line to the transmission, I heard something metallic fall onto the concrete. I saw that it was a distributor cap clip. "Oh, great," I thought, but I looked and saw that both of mine are in place. This means that it did not fall off of my current distributor, so it must belong to the previous distributor which was damaged in the fire. It was pretty rusty... I wonder how long it had been sitting in some nook, waiting to fall.

I had a good look inside my engine compartment while figuring out where to put a coolant recovery tank, and discovered that some hardware is missing where a metal beam goes across the back of the car. I will have to rectify this when I pull the fascia to have it painted.

opethmike
04-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Have fun putting that rear fascia back on. What a pain in the ass!

vwdmc16
04-07-2012, 10:21 PM
cleaned the carpets and floor mats, not a huge improvement as they were pretty good already

Farrar
04-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Have fun putting that rear fascia back on. What a pain in the ass!

I haven't removed it yet. Paint is very distant in my future.

opethmike
04-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Then consider my comment pre-emptive :)

vwdmc16
04-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Decided to do more tonight, I moved my rear frame rails over to help align the fascia mount better, found a oil leak source to a bad oil level sender O ring, attempted to remove crank pulley for cleaning but failed. I need a stronger impact.

jawn101
04-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Decided to do more tonight, I moved my rear frame rails over to help align the fascia mount better, found a oil leak source to a bad oil level sender O ring, attempted to remove crank pulley for cleaning but failed. I need a stronger impact.

Weird! You got mine off ok. Awesome that you straightened the rails though.

ramblinmike
04-08-2012, 12:08 AM
New shift linkage bushings. Huge difference. Now I need to figure out the slop in the shifter itself.

Mike

seventy4burban
04-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Here is the seats installed in the car

vwdmc16
04-09-2012, 01:23 AM
What the hell am I doing?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/vwdmc16/dmc/IMG_0078.jpg

Tillsy
04-09-2012, 01:33 AM
What the hell am I doing?[/IMG]
Reducing weight by drilling holes through every piece of metal? :)

rundmc
04-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Changed transmission fluid (was filthy and smelled horrible), replaced all side marker lights and gaskets with new OEM. Installed new rear fascia. Adjusted idle microswitch screws. Installed new luggage compartment cable and spring.

Ron
04-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Installed new rear fascia.If it is not painted, I will probably have enough PPG DBC 2000 left over to do both fascias (paint, hardener, flattening agent, reducer, etc...all unopened, except for the paint itself of coarse), if you are interested...PM me.

jfirios
04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
re installed the rear bumper and tested the back lit letters, what do you think?

ccurzio
04-11-2012, 10:01 AM
re installed the rear bumper and tested the back lit letters, what do you think?

I'm wondering about their legality.

sean
04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
what do you think?

BAD.......ASS!

I'm wondering about their legality.

I don't see how its much different the illuminated logos on many trunk lids I see in front of me as I drive. Now, I cold see it being an issue if they were REALLY bright.

ccurzio
04-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't see how its much different the illuminated logos on many trunk lids I see in front of me as I drive. Now, I cold see it being an issue if they were REALLY bright.

I'm wondering more about the color over anything else. If the color in the photo is accurate (bluish-blue), then there's probably going to be issues. Cops get antsy about exterior automotive lighting that's blue or red.

jawn101
04-11-2012, 10:16 AM

I like it too! But he's right - these might fall under the regulations on "ground effects" because they're so low - as in, show only and not for use on the street. It's also a little hard to tell what color they are but there are definitely regulations in many areas surrounding the use of blue exterior light on non-emergency vehicles.

Either way it's a job well done! Just don't get any tickets :)

sean
04-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm wondering more about the color over anything else. If the color in the photo is accurate (bluish-blue), then there's probably going to be issues. Cops get antsy about exterior automotive lighting that's blue or red.

I see what your saying now, they are bluish. Heck, it's no worse then those fake HID headlamps with the blue tint I see the ricers running on their civics, of course that doesn't make it legal.

MartyP
04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Re-installed the door interiors, after replacing the window motors with the new A1 units.

shortcircuit971
04-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Last night put in a new otterstat and swapped plastic coolant reservoir with new metal one. Over the past week or so I also put in new rear shocks, sanded and painted springs and spring cups, TAB's plus alignment and re-torqued rear suspension.

dvonk
04-12-2012, 12:09 AM

awesome, reminds me of the illuminated door sills. i love pretty much anything that glows blue. :cool:

jfirios
04-12-2012, 12:23 AM
yes, the lighting design is a mirror plexi box that was fitted and cut into the bumper foam, Lit by 4 blue led strips then topped with a milk white plexi so when the headlights turn on it will energize the led strips in the mirror box. It ends up being a nice soft blue glow that isnt that bright. especially when a drivers headlights are behind me. I dont see any issue with the fuzz because it is so low to the ground and it defiantely reads DE LOREAN, it isnt like it is a raw blue flashy light. My favorite part are the painted tail lights, now that in cali is definately illegal, but a cop has to be a real PR*&% to pull you over for that.

Jonathan
04-12-2012, 01:19 AM
i love pretty much anything that glows blue. :cool:

Hrmmm, the force is strong in this one. ;)

ccurzio
04-12-2012, 08:17 AM
I dont see any issue with the fuzz because it is so low to the ground and it defiantely reads DE LOREAN, it isnt like it is a raw blue flashy light. My favorite part are the painted tail lights, now that in cali is definately illegal, but a cop has to be a real PR*&% to pull you over for that.

Your own interpretation of the law isn't the law. Banking on cops not being assholes isn't the law.

You're destined for multiple tickets. Sorry!

jfirios
04-12-2012, 10:42 PM
eh, it isnt like i havent had them before. my last car was completely customized too with underglow and painted tail lights and all. only got two tickets for painted tail lights. not a big deal.

opethmike
04-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Changed the angle drive and the lower speedo cable.

vwdmc16
04-12-2012, 11:29 PM
rear bumper and fascia assembly and re installation. Maybe i'll have a drive-able car again!

dmc6960
04-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Removed the windshield.

9707 9708

Now the dash will get some SEM color coat and I can repair a broken solder joint in my custom overhead console. There are also some fiberglass repairs which must be made around the windshield frame and the A-pillars may be replaced as they got a little damage as the windshield was cut out. A LOT of cleaning also needs to be done on all the trim and finishing pieces.

Jonathan
04-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Put a replacement rear defrost switch in. Not sure when the next time will be I'll actually use it and test it, but the little light comes on in the HVAC panel when i press the switch so I figure we're good to go.

"The little light came on...". Sweet, Brian Johnson's shop class would be proud :)

AdmiralSenn
04-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Fully diagnosed the car's sudden decision to idle at 2500 RPM.

Replacement intake manifold bolt hole helicoils are going in today. Now I just need the alternator rebuilt. Again. (All of this went wrong on simultaneously, naturally.)

dmc6960
04-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Over the weekend I removed the rest of the interior adjacent to the dash. Almost time to paint...

jawn101
04-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Finally got my torsion bars adjusted (2 splines on each side!) thanks to the NorCal crew. Doors stay up on their own now! Met David Proehl, a forum-ite and new owner to the area. Went for a long, twisty back road drive through the mountains around Lake Berryessa. Learned exactly what this car can and cannot do. Lol :)

vwdmc16
04-16-2012, 07:17 PM
So what cant it do Jon?

also can you email me David's email address to me?

jawn101
04-16-2012, 07:21 PM
So what cant it do Jon?

Can: Make it around all the switchbacks with only modest amounts of clunking and clanking
Can: Run in 3rd gear all day pretty happily
Cannot: Do either of those things without making my wife want to barf
Cannot: Keep up with two motorheads in Z cars :)

Jonathan
04-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Took the D for one last drive before it went back into hibernation. I'm moving to Calgary this week and the DeLorean will remain behind in Ontario for the time being. On the positive side of things though, I'm really excited to stop in and see Dave and Julee on my way out West. For two people I've never yet met in person, I feel like I've known them forever :)

DavidProehl
04-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Finally got my torsion bars adjusted (2 splines on each side!) thanks to the NorCal crew. Doors stay up on their own now! Met David Proehl, a forum-ite and new owner to the area. Went for a long, twisty back road drive through the mountains around Lake Berryessa. Learned exactly what this car can and cannot do. Lol :)

Also enjoyed a great afternoon of torsion bar adjustment (on Jon & Clint's cars) and a drive. Great weekend!

Ron
04-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Pulled it out of the paint booth and rinsed some dust off...

..now, lots of elbow grease.

ccurzio
04-17-2012, 06:42 AM
PAID IT OFF!

Took six months, but it is now mine outright. :)

dvonk
04-17-2012, 11:09 AM
awesome, congratulations! :headbang:

Kukem
04-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Congrats, Accipiter! I bet that is a HUGE weight off your shoulders now.

ccurzio
04-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks very much, folks. :)

Credit union tells me I'll have my title in 7 to 10 days. Booyah.

dmc6960
04-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Ordered a pair of new A1 window regulators!

Last night I played around with the passenger side regulator a little bit (OEM). Apparently my fix from back in 2002 was a piece of string tied up to hold a part mostly steady. I then manged to jam the window fully raised. :nono:

Does anybody remember the brand of those universal dew wipes some have installed? I cannot recall it at all.

04-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Ordered a pair of new A1 window regulators!

Does anybody remember the brand of those universal dew wipes some have installed? I cannot recall it at all.

Jim,

Here is a link to their site and the dew wipe:
http://www.topsdown.com/Window-sweep-material-2-foot-pieces--p1150.html

Check the velcro type strip on the doors that protect the drop glass from rubbing against the inner door when lowering and raising the glass. My glass scratched because the originals dried up and fell off...

DMC5180
04-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Sunday: Had 2 dents removed from my Hood By Chris Nicholson (The Master) It's pure Magic to see a true Craftsman at work.

Before 9750 After 9749

Before 9751 After 9752

Monday: Had NEW UV protected DMC (Olympia) Windshield installed at DMCMW. Plus the A-pillar covers were replaced with Reinforced NOS covers I Purchased 16 years ago in anticipation of the day the windshield would be replaced. Boy am I glad to see those Crappy originals finally gone They've been an eye sore for since the day I bought the car.

9753 9754

I also had been plagued with ignition misfiring whenever I had to drive in rain. The only original ignition parts that had not been replaced were the Coil wire (radio noise overbraided type) and Coil both showed signs of arc tracking. I replaced those items this afternoon. I won't know if that fixes the problem till I have to drive in rain again.

The reason for the the Dent and Glass work were due to an unfortunate mishap in the Garage last Fall.

dvonk
04-17-2012, 08:22 PM
nice, Chris Nicholson does it again! :biggrin:

youll have to let us know if you can tell a difference with your new UV windshield.

Dangermouse
04-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Pulled it out of the paint booth and rinsed some dust off...

..now, lots of elbow grease.

Holy crap! The rumors are true. Ron does actually have a car!

jawn101
04-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Went for another drive and enjoyed having working doors. Sometimes it really is the small things :)

Got out the label maker and labeled some non-standard things (modified lock module, relays for door actuators, solid state RPM relay, etc) in my relay compartment. I don't think I'll ever sell this car, but I have no intention of being called a DPO if I do.

SIMid
04-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Got all my shipping dents massaged out last week, I'm over the moon!! :jawdrop::) They did an excellent job! Just have to now try and get the scratches out with the blending pads, just light surface ones.

Worked out a possible reason why my A/C worked occasionally (in another post). Need to order some MORE parts again.

dmc6960
04-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Took apart the remainder of the passenger door. The project balloon is ready to burst with the way it is inflated now. I originally planned to just removed the drop glass and the power regulator, but now all of the glass seals, channels, and surrounds are out as well. The fixed glass will likely come out tomorrow. The stuff just wasn't sealed worth crap! I also just learned that my passenger door doesn't have the finishing rubber seal on the divider channel. My drivers door does but apparently I never really looked at the passenger side.

Here is the door as it sits now...

And all the freshly removed components laying on the old windshield...

Here is what apparently was causing the scratches on the outside of the drop glass...
The outer wipe seal is attached o the door with three tabs. Each one has this sharp nub in it to lock it in place. My guess is that glass flexing which was occurring while the window moved up caused it to the hit this and scratch the glass. I *think* there is a factory part to cover these to prevent scratches. Part number 108215 - Rub Pad, Drop Glass. It's not illustrated but the description lists it as 3 per side.

Why was my window flexing so much when moving?...

Wow, dual breakage of the worm gear guide! This is why you don't go 120,000 miles on a stock regulator.

In addition to resealing all the glass, replacing the drop glass, and installing a new regulator; the door will also recieve some additional soundproofing. There will be a few minimal pieces of Dynamat Xtreme installed on the inside of the outer door skin, to lower it's resonance frequency. Certain open areas will be given a closed-cell acoustical foam treatment, and the backside of the trim panels may also get a loaded mass damper layer added. I'm going to carefully measure what is added to the door as not to overload it. After this year (or when the budget allows) the lock solenoid will probably be replaced with an actuator and the stainless door guides may be swapped out with plastic ones. Those will hopefully bring the door back in check from whatever I add this year.

Wow, what a night.

jawn101
04-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Drove it to work. Noticed on the way in (it was dark out) that the battery light was occasionally flickering. Oops - forgot to triple check the tension after we removed the upper bracket to replace the rocker cover gasket.

Tightened up the alternator when I got home - I think the belt I got from Hervey is a half inch too long for his alternator, since I have to pull the alt alllllll the way to the max position of the tensioner bracket. One of these days I'll replace it.

Noticed while I was down there that SOMETHING is still seeping oil. I can't tell what since there's so much grime. Emptied my last can of brake cleaner around the oil pressure sender, we'll see if it gets wet again. I know the rear main seal is probably leaking but I'm not sure if that would account for the pattern of mess I'm seeing. That said, I don't know *WHAT* would account for the pattern.

opethmike
04-19-2012, 10:02 PM
I forget which one is on which side, but the oil light and pressure senders have both leaked on my car, and they both made HUGE messes. Replace them both.

jawn101
04-19-2012, 10:06 PM
I forget which one is on which side, but the oil light and pressure senders have both leaked on my car, and they both made HUGE messes. Replace them both.

I hear ya man. I did the idiot light (driver's side) when I first got the car. Pressure gauge (pass side) appears to be original. I'd hate to replace it because it actually seems *gasp* accurate! But if it's making a mess I will have no choice. Now that it's cleaned up I will drive around a week or so and see what the deal is. It is possible the sender itself is leaking as the cap appears to be crimped on to the main body and I can feel it is a little loose. That might account for the "spray pattern" better than a leak at the copper sealing washer, as the sender is extended away from the block by a few inches. Seepage at the washer would probably be a more confined mess.

Ron
04-19-2012, 10:24 PM
I'd hate to replace it because it actually seems *gasp* accurate!

:hihi2:

dmc6960
04-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Haven't had much time the past two days, but this evening I removed the passenger side lock solenoid. Hrmph. As much as I don't want to right now, I think im gonna spring for lock acuators from Toby. With the extra weight I'm putting into the door with new soundproofing and perhaps the window regulator (are the new ones heavier?), I figure now is the best time to do it all. Especially since I don't want to have to go back in once I'm all done. I'm also going to remove the latches to perform the modification to eliminate jams if the doors are locked while open.

jawn101
04-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Haven't had much time the past two days, but this evening I removed the passenger side lock solenoid. Hrmph. As much as I don't want to right now, I think im gonna spring for lock acuators from Toby. With the extra weight I'm putting into the door with new soundproofing and perhaps the window regulator (are the new ones heavier?), I figure now is the best time to do it all. Especially since I don't want to have to go back in once I'm all done. I'm also going to remove the latches to perform the modification to eliminate jams if the doors are locked while open.

The actuators will go a long way towards offsetting your added weight. Check the attached photos, I was very surprised by the difference.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9789&d=1334893663

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9790&d=1334893671

opethmike
04-19-2012, 11:53 PM
I hear ya man. I did the idiot light (driver's side) when I first got the car. Pressure gauge (pass side) appears to be original. I'd hate to replace it because it actually seems *gasp* accurate! But if it's making a mess I will have no choice. Now that it's cleaned up I will drive around a week or so and see what the deal is. It is possible the sender itself is leaking as the cap appears to be crimped on to the main body and I can feel it is a little loose. That might account for the "spray pattern" better than a leak at the copper sealing washer, as the sender is extended away from the block by a few inches. Seepage at the washer would probably be a more confined mess.

That's exactly how mine leaked. Made a huge mess.

Jonathan
04-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Got out the label maker and labeled some non-standard things (modified lock module, relays for door actuators, solid state RPM relay, etc) in my relay compartment. I don't think I'll ever sell this car, but I have no intention of being called a DPO if I do.

Did anyone save that photo that was on here a couple years ago of the car wth labels on just about everything? I like your idea Jon, about labelling the things in the relay and fuse area. It could work well if done tastefully. This photo I was thinking of had labels (big ones) on all the window switches, defrost button, etc. It was pretty funny looking.

jawn101
04-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Did anyone save that photo that was on here a couple years ago of the car wth labels on just about everything? I like your idea Jon, about labelling the things in the relay and fuse area. It could work well if done tastefully. This photo I was thinking of had labels (big ones) on all the window switches, defrost button, etc. It was pretty funny looking.

:lol: I'm not going that nuts. You can't even see my labels unless you remove the components in question. And I only labeled anything non-stock that wasn't obvious. Example - didn't bother labelling Dave's solid state dome light timer or fan fail box, because it's obvious what they are from where they're installed. But I did label the relays that came with my DPNW actuators, cause they're non-stock. And I labelled the bottom of my OEM DLM to indicate that it was already modded for low current draw. And Dave's solid state RPM relay, since it looks just like a stock one - marked it "SOLID STATE - EXPENSIVE - DO NOT REPLACE" Things like that :)

jawn101
04-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Washed it to prep for a parade tomorrow. Bought some more brake cleaner and hosed down the areas around the oil light and pressure senders. If they get wet again I'll know for sure that's where my leaks are. The pressure sender is original (offset center lug, AC stamped in) and works so well I bet no one would believe me. Either that or my oil pressure is wrong enough to compensate for the miscalibrated sender ;)

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9810&d=1334968962

Tillsy
04-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Did anyone save that photo that was on here a couple years ago of the car wth labels on just about everything? I like your idea Jon, about labelling the things in the relay and fuse area. It could work well if done tastefully.
Pretty sure Farrar has been progressively doing this to all his fuses and relays

dmc6960
04-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Today I separated the passenger drop glass from the carrier. Laquer thinner is your friend. That, combined with old kitchen knife (I think a fruit knife) I was able to separate it with moderate ease. The thinner made the old urethane adhesive like butter. Gotta work quick though as it will firm back up after the thinner evaporates.

Also started prepping the dash for the color coat.

dmc6960
04-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Today I sprayed the dash and a-pillars with SEM Color Coat Medium Slate Gray. I oped for this instead of the Classic Coat Acurra Gray because it matched my unfaded vinyl damn good and the only local store I've found to carry SEM didn't normally stock the Classic Coat. I applied about 10 light coats over the course of an hour.

Before...

After...

Kenny_Z
04-22-2012, 04:45 PM
I watched Red roll over 30k miles for the first time in her life. The Lambda light turned on yesterday at 50 miles to 30k. Tomorrow I might do the O2 sensor and reset the lambdma. I have a 1 piece speedo cable to bypass this but I'm not ready to install it yet. I didn't install it the first time because I wanted to see the light :D

SIMid
04-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Spent last night using the blending pad to get most of the scratches out of the bonnet without applying too much pressure. Was difficult.

pezzonovante88
04-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Drove it to a British car flea market about 80kms from home. Saw some really cool cars there, including a few Esprits and some nice Jag XJSs. Lots of different cars, though. When I got home, I cleaned the car and did some graining.

DMC5180
04-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Replaced both front rotors, applied anti-squeal compound to front pads. The pads came with built in anti-squeal shims that did not work so well following pad installation the previous weekend. Gave it a serious washing today it was seriously filthy. Then followed up by doing some engine compartment beautification treatments. Still lots of little things left to do.

opethmike
04-22-2012, 11:54 PM
I humped it.

jawn101
04-23-2012, 12:30 AM
I humped it.

Well, that clearly needs no further explanation.... ;)

SIMid
04-23-2012, 12:52 AM
I humped it.

Not Wednesday yet. :rofl:

opethmike
04-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Well, that clearly needs no further explanation.... ;)

Not Wednesday yet. :rofl:

Well, I figure it has bent me over enough times so it was time to return the favor.

Dangermouse
04-23-2012, 08:10 AM

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1992&d=1309522432

Tillsy
04-23-2012, 08:54 AM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1992&d=1309522432
Oh I see the problem - only a single label for the lighter :lol:

Farrar
04-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Pretty sure Farrar has been progressively doing this to all his fuses and relays

Relays, yes -- fuses, no.

For those unfamiliar with the story, here it is:

When I decided to put my cooling fans on two relays and circuit breakers (one for each fan), the project spiralled into a re-design of that circuit including a different "fan fail" light function. I had to buy at least one new relay socket anyway, since the blue "fan fail" socket was absent from my car, and when I added my "fan fail" triggers, I required two more relay sockets. In order to make room for the new relay sockets, I opted to remove some of the sockets for not used in my car (e.g. HVAC light panel relay, rear defog timer module, HVAC panel resistor, Lambda relay).

The relay sockets I bought were close matches for the stock relay sockets, but the grooves were not such that they would fit properly, so I decided to "shotgun" the area: I removed all of the stock relay sockets, and, in an attempt to eliminate future electrical problems due to poor contact, cut off the old terminals and crimped on new ones prior to installation of the new relay sockets. Surprisingly, I was able to do one row per sitting, but my knees were arguing with me by the end of the day. ;) (And I think the new terminals helped, since my volt gauge seems very happy now.)

At this point I congratulate the reader on your patience. Here is where the labels come in. I have a little thermal label maker and I used that to make plastic labels and stick them on the relay sockets. They're not easily visible as you look straight down, but if you incline your head you can see and read them. I initially did this just so that I could keep straight what was what in my own car's unique circumstances, but I imagine labeling the relay sockets would be useful in any event.

Since I am here, I will post a "What have you done..." answer. Technically, this was yesterday, but my Internet was out last night.

- removed right-hand driver-side kneepad
- removed glove box (what's left of it)
- replaced blower motor switch
- re-installed radio/HVAC bracket
- re-installed console
- re-installed wood panel behind passenger seat, and connecting piece between two panels
- re-installed wood panels on rear parcel shelf
- re-installed rear interior wall
- re-installed carpet on parcel shelf
- re-installed battery
- fired up the engine and let it idle, made sure radiator fans come on and off like they should
- took video of the engine running to prove alternator linkage does not interfere with fan blades
- washed all stainless panels and glass
- re-installed dash mat
- moved the car to a parking space right next to my apartment's living-room window
- put a cover on the car for the first time since I bought it in 2007

ccurzio
04-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Oh I see the problem - only a single label for the lighter :lol:

Actually, it's totally incorrect. The lighter itself needs to be labeled as "Lighter" and the current "Lighter" label needs to be replaced with "Lighter Socket (Power)".

Also, what lunatic owns that car?

MTDMC
04-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Today,

I drove it to the post office to mail card just to get it out. Saw a couple of new Corvettes out on the road.

Conundrum
04-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Thought about what I need to do it, and if the car was running and it wasn't snowing out, I'd be out riding.

TEXSIX
04-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Alzheimer's patient ?????

Michael
04-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Actually, it's totally incorrect. The lighter itself needs to be labeled as "Lighter" and the current "Lighter" label needs to be replaced with "Lighter Socket (Power)".

Old people love to put 3 things all over their car:
Labels
Bumper stickers
Cab lights/Reflectors

jawn101
04-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Old people love to put 3 things all over their car:
Labels
Bumper stickers
Cab lights/Reflectors

Duh, trash bags? Beaded seat covers.

82DMC12
04-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Duh, trash bags? Beaded seat covers.

Dont forget door edge guards and hood bug deflectors.... And those phoney dear whistles you mount on your bumper. Maybe that's just a north Dakota thing.

DrJeff
04-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Installing new window motor (a good way to learn about the inside of the door and about treating minor lacerations) but the window is jumping a rail at the bottom of its travel. So the window came out (again) to check the placement of the glass. Can only see one etched dimple, which means it has moved about 1/2 inch towards the front of the car. But happy to have a symptom to fix.

MML
04-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Big day for me today! I took the D out for its maiden voyage. That was its first time actually on the road since I got it.

The insurance paperwork finally arrived, which coincided with all the fuel lines being replaced, so I couldn't wait any longer, and out the gate I went.
Nothing prepared me for the experience. It all kicked off when I went to get petrol, two people wander over and start asking about it. Just about everyone you pass on the road was checking it out; I was terrified someone would bump into me while not paying attention to their driving.

How the hell do you long-time owners cope!! :lol:

jawn101
04-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Started scraping off the powdered foam and old adhesive from the headliner backers. Not quite sure how deep to get into this as the backer seems to be MADE of this red glue. The surface has to be prepped if anything's ever going to stick to it again though....

John U
04-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Big day for me today! I took the D out for its maiden voyage. That was its first time actually on the road since I got it.

The insurance paperwork finally arrived, which coincided with all the fuel lines being replaced, so I couldn't wait any longer, and out the gate I went.
Nothing prepared me for the experience. It all kicked off when I went to get petrol, two people wander over and start asking about it. Just about everyone you pass on the road was checking it out; I was terrified someone would bump into me while not paying attention to their driving.

How the hell do you long-time owners cope!! :lol:

The first week I had my car, some jackass pulled out across the road right in front of me....I had to slam on the 30 year old brakes (which were not working that well!) and ended up on the gravel shoulder! I decided to ALWAYS drive with the headlights on after that one!

As for what I did today....I removed the large gear from the lambda counter and cleaned out about two pounds of grease! Hopefully this helps my bouncing speedo issue

MML
04-24-2012, 09:03 PM
The first week I had my car, some jackass pulled out across the road right in front of me....I had to slam on the 30 year old brakes (which were not working that well!) and ended up on the gravel shoulder! I decided to ALWAYS drive with the headlights on after that one!

Oh jeez... I'm gonna have nightmares now... I'm absolutely paranoid about something like that happening! :frown:

John U
04-24-2012, 09:05 PM
I guess that is what car insurance is for..........

Jonathan
04-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Oh jeez... I'm gonna have nightmares now... I'm absolutely paranoid about something like that happening! :frown:

Congrats on your maiden voyage. Your concern is felt by many of us (I believe), or at the very least, by me. I've struggled for quite a while with whether I really like having the car. There are many factors here, but the best way to describe it is: I have really enjoyed owning the car, but I rarely enjoy driving the car. That just occurred to me for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it was unfortunately the first time I then started to consider selling it. Hard to explain all the reasons why, but if I have a car I am happier with when parked versus out on the highway, it might be time to pass the torch to someone else. Not sure how that story is going to end...

DrJeff
04-24-2012, 10:18 PM
I need to get the glass separated from the carrier so that I can reposition the glass (about 1/2 inch too far forward). I can't tell if it's 30 year old window putty or some more modern adhesive, but I can't get the carrier to release the window glass. I soaked it in Goo-Be-Gone, WD40, Turpentine, and then Goo-Be-Gone again. Hopefully one of those three will loosen it up over night, or dissolve the whole thing. Either way that glass is coming out.

Jeff #6313

dmc6960
04-24-2012, 10:55 PM
I need to get the glass separated from the carrier so that I can reposition the glass (about 1/2 inch too far forward).

I just did this! See post #928 in this thread. You want lacquer thinner and an extremely thin kitchen knife (be aware it probably aint going back into the kitchen). The laquer thinner really weakens the adhesive until it evaporates, then you have to soak it again. While it is weak, get the knife in both sides of the channel where the window is glued in. Eventually you'll get enough cut out that the rest of the adhesive when soaked will gradually give away with pressure (or tension) separating the glass from the guide.

Good luck.

DMCMW Dave
04-25-2012, 07:53 AM
I need to get the glass separated from the carrier so that I can reposition the glass (about 1/2 inch too far forward). I can't tell if it's 30 year old window putty or some more modern adhesive, but I can't get the carrier to release the window glass.

Jeff #6313
Careful use of a propane torch works well too. Heat it just to where the glue starts to smoke.

Dangermouse
04-25-2012, 01:13 PM

Oh, don't worry Martin, nothing would happen at a gas/petrol station (certainly not to a car hand built by the owner and out for its maiden voyage - oh, wait; why does that sound familiar?). (Headphones ON, folks watching at work, btw)

http://vimeo.com/40900072

Farrar
04-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Oh, don't worry Martin, nothing would happen at a gas/petrol station...

The only time my old Concorde was in collisions was when it was parked -- swiped by a drunk driver while parked on the street (twice), and backed straight into by an idiot woman's Nissan XTerra.

BTW, nice how he swears like a sailor as the man walks by with his three young boys. Oops -- but understandable!

Chris Mays
04-27-2012, 12:02 AM
The only time my old Concorde was in collisions was when it was parked -- swiped by a drunk driver while parked on the street (twice), and backed straight into by an idiot woman's Nissan XTerra.

BTW, nice how he swears like a sailor as the man walks by with his three young boys. Oops -- but understandable!

Today I replaced all the door lights with LED's, replaced all 4 headlights and replaced all the switches (defrost,windows and the two dummy switches.

jawn101
04-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Put in my stainless trailing arm shield retaining brackets. As a California car all her life, 2100 was pleased to receive her first ever part from PJ Grady.

Also adjusted my passenger side rear striker pin so the door closes smoothly for the first time since I've had it.

vwdmc16
04-27-2012, 08:14 PM
I shredded my AC belt on the way home, must have been too tight. luckily I found I do have a spare at home!

jawn101
04-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Got my new striker shim installed, battery and locking compartment reinstalled and went for a drive. Noticed my steering column canopy was sitting funny and removed it. It's held together by glue and needs to either be replaced or a proper repair done. Great, another job...

Also finally got my custom windshield sunshade in the mail. It fits great, looks great and was well worth the money.

Dangermouse
04-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Sunshade pics & details please !!

jawn101
04-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Sunshade pics & details please !!

It's a Covercraft UVS100 from Amazon. Exact part number is UV10118SV, custom made for the DeLorean. $48.

I like it because it's not the thin flimsy roll-up kind that don't stay put. It's well made with fabric trim double-stitched around all the edges, rigid folding panels with double stitched fabric hinges between them. The panels are made of insulating foam with a UV reflective surface on one side and carpet that matches the D's interior quite nicely on the other. Fits nicely and out of the way on the parcel shelf.

Some pics:

thirdmanj
04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
It's a Covercraft UVS100 from Amazon. Exact part number is UV10118SV, custom made for the DeLorean. $48.

I like it because it's not the thin flimsy roll-up kind that don't stay put. It's well made with fabric trim double-stitched around all the edges, rigid folding panels with double stitched fabric hinges between them. The panels are made of insulating foam with a UV reflective surface on one side and carpet that matches the D's interior quite nicely on the other. Fits nicely and out of the way on the parcel shelf.

Some pics:

Must have, must HAVE!!! I'm so sick of my Walmart piece of junk! I can justify 50 bucks for this awesomeness!!

Edit: Just got one on order! Thanks for the lead jawn!

jawn101
04-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Must have, must HAVE!!! I'm so sick of my Walmart piece of junk! I can justify 50 bucks for this awesomeness!!

Ha! I love it too. :) Even looks like stainless from outside. Stainless on the outside and a pretty close matched carpet on the inside? Maybe coincidence or maybe they did their homework. I'm sure it's the former but I'll tell people on the street it's the latter.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001Y5DB4C/ref=pe_175190_21431760_B1_cs_sce_dp_i1

DMC5180
04-27-2012, 11:09 PM
I shredded my AC belt on the way home, must have been too tight. luckily I found I do have a spare at home!

Did your Shredded belt happen to be the DMC branded one?

I always keep Spare belts in the car. The Jack storage area is a good place for that kind of stuff.

As for what I did to the car today. I repainted the upper windshield trim piece using SEM 39143 TRIM BLACK. I chemically stripped the old paint off. The paint literally fell off in seconds. I briefly considered graining it and keeping it bare but opted to stick with paint. Wow what a difference. It Looks better that new now. I should have taken before and after pics but forgot too.

jawn101
04-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Did your Shredded belt happen to be the DMC branded one?

I always keep Spare belts in the car. The Jack storage area is a good place for that kind of stuff.

What if it was? Not another trend....

(I'm 99% sure that's what he was running)

vwdmc16
04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
In fact it was, its worked great for the last 3 years.

DMC5180
04-28-2012, 12:02 AM
HMM, Interesting. Lets just say yours is not the first DMC brand belt to shred. Although its kinda cool having the belt say DMC with P/N. You should consider using a Gates, Goodyear or Dayco equivalent.

vwdmc16
04-28-2012, 01:07 PM
right, Ive got a Dayco on now. looks a bit beefier.

DavidProehl
04-28-2012, 02:04 PM
right, Ive got a Dayco on now. looks a bit beefier.
My DMC A/C belt shredded as well, within the first couple months of using it. I talked to DMC Midwest and they hooked me up with a different belt, I don't think they are selling the bad belts anymore, at least not DMC MW. The new one I got from them was a Gates Green Stripe belt, belt still looks new after 6+ months of use.

Today I finished pulling my slave & master cylinders. My slave failed on me after a parade last weekend, figured I should replace them both. Parts arrive on Tuesday, I'm now ready to install! As you can see, the bolts on the master gave me some trouble. After a couple hours of grinding with a dremel they finally gave up. I had a got a big philips screw driver for them and everything to hold the bolt properly, but the nuts just wouldn't let go! The bolt would spin with the nut. No matter, mission accomplished!

dmc6960
04-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Finished cleaning all the old sealant off of the body where the windshield attached. Also repaired some broken solder joints on the custom overhead console I built in 2004. It'll be nice to have the compass temp display working again.

vwdmc16
04-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah its strange belt shredded in three parts

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/vwdmc16/dmc/SSPX0004.jpg

Farrar
04-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Attempted to find out why I can't start the engine with the key, unsuccessfully.

Attempted to fix a bad miss, also unsuccessfully.

Oh well, at least my cooling fans work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EzoiQVibwc

DMC5180
04-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Was that taken before you removed it? It looks like the belt turned inside out on the compressor pulley.

Todays D project. Had great success removing the top RF fender bolts. The heads of the 3 closest bolts to windshield had eroded away over the years from rust. An 8 MM socket would not bite on what was left. I ended up cutting a slot in the top with my dremel tool and cut-off wheel. Then used a straight bit in a small Dewalt cordless impact. two spun right out. the third snapped half the head off. I ended up cutting the rest of the head off that one. With all the shims and washers removed. I was able to bolt the fender down to the underbody. which made the remnants of the cut of bolt stick up through the fender hole about 3/8". First I tried gripping it with a vise-grip to see if it would turn loose. It turned , but so did the riv-nut. I had to figure out a way to hold the riv-nut from turning. luckily I have a fur-tree tool (this tool has been a god send for oddball uses beyond what it is designed for) I was able to slip it under the fender lip and and get it to bite two sides of the riv-nut flange (not much there). I made another slot in the bolt shaft then used the dewalt impact again while holding the riv-nut. SUCCESS the impact vibrations broke it loose spun it out easily. Lots of powdered rust came out with it.

jawn101
04-29-2012, 09:59 PM
My DMC A/C belt shredded as well, within the first couple months of using it. I talked to DMC Midwest and they hooked me up with a different belt, I don't think they are selling the bad belts anymore, at least not DMC MW. The new one I got from them was a Gates Green Stripe belt, belt still looks new after 6+ months of use.

Today I finished pulling my slave & master cylinders. My slave failed on me after a parade last weekend, figured I should replace them both. Parts arrive on Tuesday, I'm now ready to install! As you can see, the bolts on the master gave me some trouble. After a couple hours of grinding with a dremel they finally gave up. I had a got a big philips screw driver for them and everything to hold the bolt properly, but the nuts just wouldn't let go! The bolt would spin with the nut. No matter, mission accomplished!

Lookin' good David, get lots of practice on this job.... :)

DavidProehl
04-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Lookin' good David, get lots of practice on this job.... :)

Will do! Looking forward to giving you a hand! Today I picked up stainless bolts, washers, and nuts to replace the ones I ground up. I'm thinking no stainless hardware for the slave since it screws into the aluminum on the transmission. Stainless and aluminum are no good together. New cylinders arrive in 2 days.

jawn101
04-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Very cool. I'm still waiting for my cylinders to ship but I'm in a somewhat less urgent situation than you. You're gonna be working triple time to be ready for the tour on the 6th!

Also, today we drove out to Napa to set up a friend's yard for a wedding next weekend. It was an uneventful and lovely drive. The temperature must have been exactly perfect for her as I don't recall the engine ever running so smoothly before, and nothing else has changed. A/C worked a treat, she helped me move a patio heater home from the store (though we did have a slightly panicked few minutes of unpacking and breaking down the box in the parking lot to fit it), and we even drove the 50 miles home with the gas light on without the pickup hose collapsing. It was almost exactly like owning a reliable car. :)

DMC5180
04-30-2012, 01:20 AM
Put some finishing touches on my SS replacement Upper Rear window screen. It's the one from DMCEU I purchased it from DMCMW at DCS10. While the part is nice looking in the main part (slotted areas) the Exposed lower lip flange has lots of wavy ripples from forming and a generally unfinished look. I fixed that today and cured the unsightliness of the three attaching screws. While I was at it, I hid the wires running from my twin third brake lights. The final result is a near factory look for a few bucks.

9995 9996 9997 9998 9999 10000

opethmike
04-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Greased my sway bar poly bushings, in hopes of getting rid of a mystery squeak my car has while turning.

Farrar
04-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Moved the car (under its own power!) to get some filming done for a student project. Idle is still pretty rough, but that will be the subject of some more troubleshooting later this week...

MartyP
04-30-2012, 11:43 AM
I changed both bearings in the A/C belt tensionner...

Conundrum
04-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Renewed the tags for another two years.

MML
04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Took the Craig out through the vents. What a horrible job. Complete nightmare removing the little screw.

dmc6960
04-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Glued the a-pillar trim pieces to the fiberglass since most of the extra vinyl got cut off with the windshield.

Modified the rear view mirror power harness for the new auto-dimming + HomeLink unit. (I had previously installed just an auto-dimming mirror)

Removed both passenger door latches. Modified them to allow locking while the latches are open. Then reinstalled.

Cleaned all old goop from the vapor barrier off the passenger door stainless.

Drilled holes in passenger door and latch bellcrank for the finally-being-installed-2004-DPNW-door-launchers.

mluder
04-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Headlights stopped working out of the blue the other day.

I was pretty sure it wasn't the fuses because low high beams were gone too but I checked anyway. Both were fine.

So it's probably the switch - great that's $90 and it functions differently than stock.

So i took off the climate control panel to remove the old switch on the off chance I could repair it. Reached behind the console to detach the wiring harness and low and behold, IT WAS ALREADY DISCONNECTED. :bang:

Re-connected the harness, Re-installed the climate control panel. Problem solved.

Lesson learned - Check the simplest thing first.

Cheers,
Steve

dmcerik
04-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Dropped it off at DMC Midwest for some cosmetic work along with a little mechanical stuff. Received pictures back from Dave of the dent removal process. They perform magic in that shop.

when i bought the car 13 years ago it had a ding in the passenger door, and a quarter sized ding in the rear passenger quarter. its been a long time coming and I can't begin to express how excited I was when Dave sent these pictures over.

Also on the schedule is a new windshield, wheels, preventative 5th gear bolt tightening, full inspection and fluid flush. once back home, new dash, signal/wiper switches, weather stripping, and some other odds and ends.

jawn101
04-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Dropped it off at DMC Midwest for some cosmetic work along with a little mechanical stuff. Received pictures back from Dave of the dent removal process. They perform magic in that shop.

Let's see 'em!

David_NYS
04-30-2012, 11:17 PM
They perform magic in that shop.

Agreed! :hexer: Yeah, let's see some pics if you get a chance! :thumbup:

dmcerik
04-30-2012, 11:23 PM
I added them to the original post.

DrJeff
05-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Did the final tests on the passenger window, adhesive stuck and it's not jumping the rails. I'm still getting a 1/2 inch horizontal shift in the window as it closes (but I'm just too tired to try and fix it). Closed up the bottom panel on the door with fresh trim clips and weather seal edging. Trying out my velcro solution to the loose escutcheon. Looks like it's working 95%, but I need to adjust the velcro roll the front of the escutcheon. I'll post some pictures of the loose escutcheon solution and write it up at the weekend. Door lock button is still stiffer than I'd like, but I suspect the slight bending I needed to get the lock/latch black metal frame mounted to the door. Lets see if the new linear actuator can handle it before I rip it out again to fix.

Jeff

DMC5180
05-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Installed New inner door seals.
Cleaned off old hard & crusty trim adhesive from the LF fender under the buffer strip.(did RF yesterday) A very tedious and slow process. Soak with 3M general adhesive remover and wait then scrap and repeat over and over and over.

10013 10015 10014

jawn101
05-01-2012, 12:17 AM
I added them to the original post.

Looks amazing! Kudos to Dave and his team.

dvonk
05-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Looks amazing! Kudos to Dave and his team.

+1, erasing a gnarly door dent like that is incredible.

dmcerik
05-01-2012, 09:02 AM
+1, erasing a gnarly door dent like that is incredible.

Even they said it may not be possible. But as they said it you could see them ready to step up to the challenge. They were working on it before I left the building.

pezzonovante88
05-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Checked the tire pressure - man those little caps are annoying to get to in between the spokes. Also drove it to a friend's place where he did what I was dreading and pushed the lock on the passenger door which screws everything up and prevents its ability to open/close. Oh well, I'll fix it yet again.
Also ordered the DMC car cover and front-end recall kit.

David_NYS
05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Even they said it may not be possible. But as they said it you could see them ready to step up to the challenge. They were working on it before I left the building.

Awesome work! :aniclap:

vwdmc16
05-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Glued in 4 new stainless rear fascia studs on the bumper. fingers crossed this fancy glue holds