PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Headliner falling down

MML
11-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi guys, quick question - can anyone tell me what holds up the headliner material at the back, at the rear window? As you can see in the pics something is missing from the holes, it goes through the plastic trim and into the roof, apparently trapping the fabric bit with it.
Is there a part number for them? I'm hoping to order a few things for the car very shortly and want to take care of this little problem while I'm at it.

Thanks!

P.s. this is my first D, VIN 5436, just got it about a month ago; it's located in Ireland. I plan on posting a bit about it with a few pics soon!

http://i.imgur.com/TweMN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nvE8G.jpg

DMCMW Dave
11-30-2011, 08:43 PM
It's a small black phillips-head sheet metal screw about 3/4" long.

Looks like this:

http://store.delorean.com/p-9344-screw-n8.aspx

MML
11-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for the quick reply! I may have something like that lying around.
Am I right in saying the fabric is 'trapped' between the car body and plastic trim?

Unfortunately I've never seen another D in real life before so I have no references besides the internet, I have a feeling I'll be asking even more odd questions like this as time goes on! :tongue2:

Rich
11-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Am I right in saying the fabric is 'trapped' between the car body and plastic trim?

Yes, the plastic trim holds the headliner panel up. First photo.

As further reference for little fix-its you might wish to order as many as 3 unicaps and and also improve the closure of the rear of the car's stainless T-panel (roof panel between and behind the doors).

In the photo you posted of the rear view there is one exposed screw head holding the slotted plastic panel just above the rear glass. The OEM design calls for a cover called a unicap over that screw and the other two holding that finisher panel. It is Item #27 in this diagram:

http://store.delorean.com/c-395-8-3-0-stainless-panelsdoor-frame.aspx

Cheap and easy to install, comes with a base flange you mount under the screw.

The T-panel roof is held down at its rear with 4 tabs that fold beneath the finisher panel. Looks as if the leftmost one in your photo is not folded, leaving the back left side of your T-panel riding high. You may think this fix is only about the look of the car but if the rear of the T-panel is just a little TOO high then it could interfere with the front edge of the rear louvre panel when it's lifted to access the engine cover. The louvre panel will then hit/grab the edge of the T-panel without you knowing it and it might bend the T-panel since nothing is holding the back of it down.

Photos of the interior screw, then unicapped rear finisher panel screw + the folded tab just above it, and lastly a flush T-panel above that tab, all on left side.
7134 7136 7135

MML
12-01-2011, 03:55 AM

As further reference for little fix-its you might wish to order as many as 3 unicaps and and also improve the closure of the rear of the car's stainless T-panel (roof panel between and behind the doors).

In the photo you posted of the rear view there is one exposed screw head holding the slotted plastic panel just above the rear glass. The OEM design calls for a cover called a unicap over that screw and the other two holding that finisher panel. It is Item #27 in this diagram:

The T-panel roof is held down at its rear with 4 tabs that fold beneath the finisher panel. Looks as if the leftmost one in your photo is not folded, leaving the back left side of your T-panel riding high. You may think this fix is only about the look of the car but if the rear of the T-panel is just a little TOO high then it could interfere with the front edge of the rear louvre panel when it's lifted to access the engine cover. The louvre panel will then hit/grab the edge of the T-panel without you knowing it and it might bend the T-panel since nothing is holding the back of it down.

Photos of the interior screw, then unicapped rear finisher panel screw + the folded tab just above it, and lastly a flush T-panel above that tab, all on left side.

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to have a hunt around for some screws, and get that drooping bit fixed up out of the way, visibility is limited enough out the back window!

As for the T panel, you're spot-on, it's actually just sitting in place; we removed it recently as the rubber seals on the top edge of the door were bunched up and getting caught when you opened the door; also the corner of the door was rubbing against the panel itself. I read somewhere that a piece of thin rubber or foam could lift the panel just enough for the door to miss it.

I didn't realise there were plastic caps over those screws - one more thing to get sorted! :thumbup:

mluder
12-01-2011, 03:22 PM

7134 7136 7135

My t-panel is riding a little high on the passenger side but the louver still opens fine. However, I noticed when the engine is warm after driving, the louver tends to bind there.

Questions:
I can obviously improve tightne the t-panel position. I assume you need to remove the louver to get at the tabs. What's the best way to remove the louver? Completely remove the struts and then should I disconect the louver from the hinges or the hinges from the car body? What's the best way to bend the tabs without damaging the stainless? How hard is it to remove the t-panel completely if I want to do some maintenance on the roof pan?

Finally, has anyone else seen their louvers change shape from engine heat?

Thanks

robvanderveer
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Jumping in here... I saw on your picture that the folding tab of the t-panel is around your plastic cover plate. It should be UNDER the plastic bit.

DMCMW Dave
12-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Questions:
I can obviously improve tightne the t-panel position. I assume you need to remove the louver to get at the tabs.

No, you don't. Remove the plastic retainer strip.

What's the best way to remove the louver? Completely remove the struts and then should I disconect the louver from the hinges or the hinges from the car body?

With two people. Take the nuts off on the insde of the louver. Often you can fix the problem you have by just loosening the nuts and raising the leading edge of the louver. There is some adjustment space in the holes. In extreme cases you need to screw the roof cage back down to the fiberglass.

What's the best way to bend the tabs without damaging the stainless?

Carefully. Try not to bend them ever, after about two bends they break off.

How hard is it to remove the t-panel completely if I want to do some maintenance on the roof pan?

It is held on by the tabs, six screws under teh weatherstripping just aft of the door, and a wad of double-sided tape that sticks it to the roof.

MML
12-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Jumping in here... I saw on your picture that the folding tab of the t-panel is around your plastic cover plate. It should be UNDER the plastic bit.

Yep well spotted! The whole panel is just resting in place until I can get a piece of foam or rubber or something to raise it up a little, hopefully this will be the only time I have to remove it at all! It was a bit of a pain to remove....

MML
12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
a wad of double-sided tape that sticks it to the roof.

Now THAT was fun to remove. :sad30:

DMCMW Dave
12-01-2011, 07:10 PM
On my personal car, some DPO glued the roof panel on with windshield urethane. I destroyed the foam backer to the t-panel getting off. Luckily that is available separatly from the stainless panel.