PDA

View Full Version : Weather stripping kits...

thirdmanj
12-01-2011, 11:47 PM
I wish there was a way I could phrase this without starting a war, but ok here it is...

Question: What is the difference between SpecialTauto's weather stripping kit and DMCHs? Other than STAs is 190.00 vice DMCHs 264.00.

I've been bouncing back between the two and they each look to be about the same except I think DMCHs has the rubber for the tops of the doors.

Thoughts? Opinions? Personal expierience?

.....civility...

sdg3205
12-02-2011, 12:04 AM
I wish there was a way I could phrase this without starting a war, but ok here it is...

Question: What is the difference between SpecialTauto's weather stripping kit and DMCHs? Other than STAs is 190.00 vice DMCHs 264.00.

I've been bouncing back between the two and they each look to be about the same except I think DMCHs has the rubber for the tops of the doors.

Thoughts? Opinions? Personal expierience?

.....civility...

Just a quick question: do you need a kit or are you just curious?!

I thought I needed a new one. In fact I "probably" do. I can tell I've got some tears, but hey, I stay dry! The only time a little water gets in is when I use a power washer, even then its very rare and only a drop or two.

I found that after re-applying some 3M weatherstripping glue to pieces that were coming loose, my leaks were resolved.

thirdmanj
12-02-2011, 06:20 AM
I've held off as long as I dare. I hated to ask, but they're both a lot of money and with close to 80 bucks on the line I figured the question was waranted.

Delorean Industries
12-02-2011, 09:00 AM
I've held off as long as I dare. I hated to ask, but they're both a lot of money and with close to 80 bucks on the line I figured the question was waranted.

It is really a matter of getting what you pay for IMO.

sean
12-02-2011, 09:04 AM
It is really a matter of getting what you pay for IMO.

Playing the :devil: here, so does that mean we shouldn't buy your rear wheel bearings?

That said, of course I'd buy your wheel bearings but your response was pretty ambiguous to me. If you know STA's or DMCH's are crap tell us. I've seen both fail prematurely.

Delorean Industries
12-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Playing the :devil: here, so does that mean we shouldn't buy your rear wheel bearings?

That said, of course I'd buy your wheel bearings but your response was pretty ambiguous to me. If you know STA's or DMCH's are crap tell us. I've seen both fail prematurely.

I can see where that would come into play. But price and quality of product are two different things. I've dropped the price on bearings with National units we can warranty if failure occurs.

The break down in kits is this. I sell the same kit as Houston with different inner and outer door seals:

DMCH/DPI kit includes lower door seals STA does not.

DMCH/DPI kit includes rear louvre seal pieces STA does not.

DMCH kit requires clips on inner door seals DPI and STA does not

DMCH requires adhesive on outer door seals DPI does not

STA kits are packaged tightly causing creases etc DMCH/DPI kits are not

STA kits feature annoying sharpy writing on outer door pieces DMCH/DPI does not

Delorean Industries
12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
UPDATE on the Delorean Performance Industries kit price available here:

https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/parts/kits/weather-stripping-kit-complete.html

New price of $199.95 for the complete set with the following:

(1) 106967 Seal, Door/Roof LH
(1) 106968 Seal, Door/Roof RH
(2) 110044 Seal, Inner Door
(2) 111126 Seal Strip Front
(2) 111128 Seal Strip Rear
(2) 110720 Door Sill Seal
(1) 108720 RH Support Buffer
(1) 108721 LH Support Buffer

The_Reverend
02-16-2012, 11:42 AM
I sure need some seals, because I have none, they were removed :(

Delorean Industries
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
I sure need some seals, because I have none, they were removed :(

In stock ready to ship! Let us know if we can help!

thirdmanj
02-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I ended up going with DPI's. They're high quality, fit perfectly, and the self adhesive parts are more than adequate without requiring "assistance" from other canned or bottled adhesives.

Note of caution though: Installation of the upper door seals (rubber strips) is a real job. If you take it to a professional be sure they know what they're doing. Josh offered free tech assist via phone to the very reputable shop I took 1258 to, and they disregarded it and decided to do their own thing. The results were dammage to the tops of one of my doors. It's the toughest part of the job and need to be done correctly.

jawn101
02-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear that, man!

Also can I say that DPI's price is actually insane considering it includes the louver support buffers?

Delorean Industries
02-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Sorry to hear that, man!

Also can I say that DPI's price is actually insane considering it includes the louver support buffers?

Only two more sets at this price! Then a price increase due to the louver strips going through the roof.

Delorean Industries
02-18-2012, 12:44 PM
We are now out of the Louver support brackets at the listed price.

Byrne H&A
02-18-2012, 03:22 PM
We have been selling seals for years that are 1/8" larger in tubular diameter to better compensate for the difference in front /rear position of the door. Take a look--
www.Deloreanupgradeparts.com

mattyparas
04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I ended up going with DPI's. They're high quality, fit perfectly, and the self adhesive parts are more than adequate without requiring "assistance" from other canned or bottled adhesives.

Note of caution though: Installation of the upper door seals (rubber strips) is a real job. If you take it to a professional be sure they know what they're doing. Josh offered free tech assist via phone to the very reputable shop I took 1258 to, and they disregarded it and decided to do their own thing. The results were dammage to the tops of one of my doors. It's the toughest part of the job and need to be done correctly.

Curious as to the warnings/difficulties with this part of the procedure ?

jawn101
04-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Curious as to the warnings/difficulties with this part of the procedure ?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2767-door-roof-seal-106967

Tillsy
11-06-2012, 07:53 AM
DMCH kit requires clips on inner door seals DPI and STA does not

I don't think this is the case anymore.

I purchased the DMCH kit and it did not come with clips, and the inner door seals internally contain a thick U shaped metal the whole length down. I had to remove my old clips and push very firmly to get the new stripping on - is holding and working an absolute treat.

Delorean Industries
11-06-2012, 07:56 AM
I don't think this is the case anymore.

I purchased the DMCH kit and it did not come with clips, and the inner door seals internally contain a thick U shaped metal the whole length down. I had to remove my old clips and push very firmly to get the new stripping on - is holding and working an absolute treat.

Haven't used one of their kits since that post.

Tillsy
11-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Haven't used one of their kits since that post.

BTW I was very tempted to get your kit, but needed the louver support buffers (which yours no longer has) as one of mine is broken (though admittedly still worked fine, just didn't like the look of it).

Delorean Industries
11-06-2012, 08:27 AM
BTW I was very tempted to get your kit, but needed the louver support buffers (which yours no longer has) as one of mine is broken (though admittedly still worked fine, just didn't like the look of it).

Thanks! I started keeping those for in house use only until we reproduce a better replacement. Dmc jacked the prices for no reason.

cdrusn
02-18-2013, 11:47 PM
The seal stripping that DMCH sells that comes in a roll didn't even last a year until it split and cracked at the bends around the door.

jawn101
02-18-2013, 11:47 PM
The seal stripping that DMCH sells that comes in a roll didn't even last a year until it split and cracked at the bends around the door.

Outer or inner seal?

DCUK Martin
02-19-2013, 03:29 AM
If you're referring to the outer glue-on ones, that's exactly why I had them reproduced in tear-resistant silicone.

Chris 16409
02-20-2013, 01:59 AM
I have to vouch for martin's silicone outer door seals. It's the only real option in my opinion. Oh, and McMaster Carr sells "compatible" inner door seals in bulk lengths:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=lk179s

OverlandMan
02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
I have to vouch for martin's silicone outer door seals. It's the only real option in my opinion. Oh, and McMaster Carr sells "compatible" inner door seals in bulk lengths:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=lk179s

Chris - I like that site. What seals did you use there?

Chris 16409
02-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Chris - I like that site. What seals did you use there?

I need to take measurements of mine to match the correct part number. I'll try and report back soon.

OverlandMan
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
I need to take measurements of mine to match the correct part number. I'll try and report back soon.

Appreciate it

Chris 16409
02-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Appreciate it

I knew I documented this before. See my post here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?715-Inner-Door-seals-Comparison-between-vendors&p=7874&viewfull=1#post7874

OverlandMan
02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
I knew I documented this before. See my post here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?715-Inner-Door-seals-Comparison-between-vendors&p=7874&viewfull=1#post7874

Great - thanks. I noticed 2 different part #s; is one for the inner and the other for the outer?

Chris 16409
02-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Great - thanks. I noticed 2 different part #s; is one for the inner and the other for the outer?

Both part numbers are for inner door seals. When I measured mine, these two part numbers matched the closest. I'm pretty sure either will work. The second part number would have an overall tad shorter height.

OverlandMan
02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Both part numbers are for inner door seals. When I measured mine, these two part numbers matched the closest. I'm pretty sure either will work. The second part number would have an overall tad shorter height.

Gotcha - thanks for the info. I'll likely go this route.

Mark413
08-30-2018, 07:34 PM
I need a new seal for just the hood/storage space. Anyone have any recommendations?

MikeWard
08-31-2018, 04:42 AM
I need a new seal for just the hood/storage space. Anyone have any recommendations?
https://www.deloreango.com/us/silicone-hood-seal.html

Delorean Industries
08-31-2018, 09:24 AM
Proper hood seal manufactured by DeLorean Industries. Silicone gaskets do not have enough give and require extensive adjustments to the front end alignment. Including but not limited to hood hinges (height adjustment behind head lamp buckets) and fenders to compensate for the lack of compression.

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/19-hood-seal/

peternikkiskinner
01-18-2019, 05:28 PM
I have just about finished installing my Outer Door Seals. DMC CA did the inner ones but I thought I could handle the outer ones. It is a time consuming job and I have found not much sticks to the fiberglass but no problems with sticking to the stainless. The old seals had plenty of silicone so requires scraping and sanding off. I used Sikasil Acetic Cure RTV (an alternative to Wurth Bond) in a cartridge but could only get it in clear rather than the black I wanted. The trick is securing the rubber in place long enough for it to cure. As I said, nothing including various tapes will stick to the fiberglass so I have used bits of cloth and wood chocks to secure as much as possible. All looks good and I have one half of the door left to do and both door seals will be finished. Pain in the ass job but it looks better than the cracked and brittle rubber that was there. Next job, getting the aerial mast fixed, motor works fine but the mast is toast.
:flamed:

Michael
01-24-2019, 09:49 PM

Maybe late to the party but:

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1369-Fix-your-hood-fender-alignment&highlight=fender+alignment

Also:
Hood seal starts at 3:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1L0AH1kjaU