PDA

View Full Version : General Getting the sideview mirror back on

opethmike
12-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Could the way the sideview mirror swivel is put together be anymore stupid? I'm having a heck of a time getting the snap ring back into place. Seems to be completely impossible unless I don't use all of the shims. Tips?

DMC5180
12-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Its been a while since i've had a mirror apart. I guess I don't recall a Snap Ring.

Got photos of the issue? What were you in the process of doing that needed it taken apart?

outatym2001
01-04-2012, 01:06 AM
I made this tool to aid in installing the external circlip for the side view mirror housing.
The wiring goes up through the middle of the steel tube and out the 5/8” by 3/8” hole.
The notch in the bottom of the steel tube is for the circlip install tool.
The circlip holds in place one flat washer and six cupped washers. The steel tube is to press down on the seven washers while placing the circlip into position. I hope.
More pictures to come.
By the way I haven’t even tried it, yet. So I don’t know if it works.

outatym2001
01-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Its been a while since i've had a mirror apart. I guess I don't recall a Snap Ring.

Got photos of the issue? What were you in the process of doing that needed it taken apart?
There are many names for the External Circlip or Snap Ring or what ever you want to call it.
More pictures below as promised.

Will be posting additional pictures when/if the sun comes out and I take them.

outatym2001
08-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Please see the additional pictures of my tool I made to install the External Snap Ring (US) Circlip (UK) on the Side View Mirror.
If anyone on here wants their side view mirror fixed for free just send me a personal message. It can only be fixed if there is no rust around the metal tube that the External Snap Ring attaches to. Sure you can clean the rust but that means most likely some of the metal is gone and the Snap Ring will not have much to grab onto. I can't fix that. That tube is permanently part of the mirror housing and I don't know of any way to replace it.
All I can do is if you send me your whole mirror with the two flat washers and six cupped washers I can install a new External Snap Ring. I will ship it back to you for free.