PDA

View Full Version : An Honest Man

Michael
12-06-2011, 01:43 PM
How many of you remember who Bud Dwyer was? If you asked me that last month, I would have told you ohhh, he was that politician who shot himself on live TV a few decades ago. That's about all I knew until I ran across this trailer on youtube and ordered the video called "An Honest Man". This is a documentary on the life of R. Bud Dwyer made by an independant movie maker(if you ask me, these are the best kind)...It was just mesmerizing.

I want to tell you how good it was but to describe this sad story as "good" just doesn't seem right. It's like me saying "Schindler's List" was good, which they both are, but not in a joyful walking out of the movies in a "happy fun, lets go to Chedders for dinner" mood way. It was sad and sobering and almost painful to watch. It tells the story of Penn. State Treasurer R. Bud Dwyer and the life he led, and the final decision he was "forced" to make.

I often judge movies by the impression they leave. If I find myself thinking about then the next day, week, or even year, then I know how deeply that message touched me. I doubt I ever forget this particular movie.....It's not a bad way to spend $20.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le7nRQIC9MU

Ikeaboy1
12-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Ordered.

The most moving documentary I've watched in a while is 'Marwencol.' I'd highly recommend it. Being a model builder, I'm sure you'll find it especially fascinating, Michael.

Michael
12-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Ordered.

The most moving documentary I've watched in a while is 'Marwencol.' I'd highly recommend it. Being a model builder, I'm sure you'll find it especially fascinating, Michael.

I had to Google it and watched the trailer, thanks for the tip as it seems very interesting. Since you ordered my pic, I will order your pick tonight. :wink:

Ikeaboy1
12-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Excellent. I think you'll enjoy it. The imagination unleashed after the subjects trauma is pretty amazing.

I recently watched 'Winnebago man' and was pretty disappointed with it. It wasn't a bad documentary, but Jack Rebney seemed to be a pretty one-dimensional, bitter old man. My opinion, of course. The Winnebago man viral video is still highly recommended.

Another dark documentary that is really good was, 'dear Zachary: A letter to his son about his father.' I watched that one having no knowledge of the story, and that's how I'd recommend watching it. Extremely powerful story telling. I believe it is streamable on Netflix.

Michael
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Akkkkkk! I just paypaled 18.00 for "Marwencol" when I saw your post...why didn't I think of Netflix? I checked and sure enough Marwencol was there and ready to be watched. :tongue: Oh well, I have a friend who likes docs and he doesnt have high speed or even cable, let alone netflix so this will make a good Christmas present for him(assuming he has a DVD player).

I'm taking off tomorrow due to the crappy weather we are having right now(perks of working for yourself) so I will have plenty of time to sit in front of the TV and eat junk food and watch these two flicks.

Ikeaboy1
12-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Dang! Sorry I didn't mention it before. I knew Diary was on there, but couldn't remember if Marwencol was. Anyway, I'm sure you and your friend will both enjoy it.

Michael
12-06-2011, 11:27 PM
My wife and I popped a bag of popcorn and watched Marwencol tonight after all. She is not into docs like I am, but she really enjoyed it as did I. I thought it was very well made and so very interesting. For me it was the perfect storm, it was an indy doc. with a modeling theme and a WWII tangent...all of my favorite things rolled up in one film.

I found it to be depressing and uplifting at the same time. I didn't know if I felt happy for Mark being able to re-discover himself(and his immagination) and deal with his trauma by making Marwencol and eventually facing the real world again, or sad that he decided not to stay and reverted back to living in Marwencol.

Thanks so much for recommending this.

Michael
12-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Another dark documentary that is really good was, 'dear Zachary: A letter to his son about his father.' I watched that one having no knowledge of the story, and that's how I'd recommend watching it. Extremely powerful story telling. I believe it is streamable on Netflix.

My wife and I finally sat down tonight and watched "Dear Zachary" and you were right, what a tale that was. I did what you said and didn't read the description. Debbi was in tears at the end and I was stunned. Its hard not to be moved after watching it.

Let me know what you thought about "Honest Man" when you get it.