PDA

View Full Version : General BTTF Conversion

Jimmycxc
12-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Well like some of us, I grew up with Back to the Future. It was my favorite movie as a kid and its still on my all time favorites list. From the first time I saw it, I told myself that I would own a DeLorean someday. I saved every penny I could and bought my DeLorean. Its been about 13 years since I've had it and now have saved enough money to convert it to a BTTF replica.

I should be getting it back in time for Christmas. As far as I know, it will be the only one in the Northeast, but curious to see if anyone else has one in the area.

thirdmanj
12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Jimmy.....Jimmy.... Don't do it.... That path leads to the Dark Side of the Force.....

Heh heh heh, just kidding. If you wanna do it, have a ball. I just see this as an opportunity to try and "save" an original piece of history. Unless this is to be done as part of a business venture, why do it? You know once you start drilling holes in those panels it's over. Your beautiful automobile will become a heavy, rolling replica, prop. It's value as a rare car will cease.

Your car (and mine) is already very recognizable as the Time Machine. Having grown up with BTTF also, I've found contentment in replica props that I take to shows, flux capacitor, almanac, Krups coffee grinder. BTTF is an important part of the DeLoreans history, and I acknowledge that, but I don't feel that it's an excuse to destroy a piece of history for the sake of creating a personal toy prop.

Ok, I'm off the box now. I hope you succeed it whatever you decide to do. I hear it can be a lot of fun making one

congerz83
12-07-2011, 02:00 PM
If you wanna do it, have a ball.

Couldn't agree more. It's YOUR money, it's YOUR time, it's YOUR dream! NO ONE ELSE'S!!! Have at it, and take plenty of pictures!

Best of Luck!

thirdmanj
12-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Couldn't agree more. It's YOUR money, it's YOUR time, it's YOUR dream! NO ONE ELSE'S!!! Have at it, and take plenty of pictures!

Best of Luck!

Yeah, that too! Well said.

nullset
12-07-2011, 02:25 PM
I am looking to step up the conversion on 2930, now that it's (mostly) running.

If you want to collaborate, please get in touch with me. I'm trying to avoid the drama of the various commercial builders, and just have fun sharing info with friends and hobbyists.

I'm just getting started, but hopefully can have the exterior of my car looking nice over the next year or two.

--buddy

Jimmycxc
12-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys. I know there are many "purists" of the DeLorean and I completely respect that. I've kept my DeLorean completely stock since the day I got it (minus some little upgrades to keep her running in top shape). It definitely was not an easy decision. I contemplated doing it for probably the better part of two years.

I even thought about keeping my DeLorean "original" and purchasing another one to fix up and convert, but then I realized I wanted a good running D to convert and already had one.

I don't have any kids yet, so maybe the next savings account will be for a D that I can restore and bring back to life. There's actually one by my work that has been sitting in a warehouse for some time now...oh man...the wife is not going to like this.

As for Buddy, I'll be happy to share any knowledge I obtain. But also, check out the website I made for the DeLorean. www.mylasthomepage.com/delorean The last tab contains websites on converting your delorean. I actually own the host website (www.mylasthomepage.com) Its a free site where people can sign up and create their own website with their own favorite links.

nullset
12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Just don't give any money to the 'pros' and you'll be fine.

If you buy something from any of them, the proverbial waste will be propelled outward by the dyson air mover. These guys seriously can't get along.

--buddy

Dangermouse
12-08-2011, 02:33 PM
I should be getting it back in time for Christmas. As far as I know, it will be the only one in the Northeast, but curious to see if anyone else has one in the area.

Does this mean that you have sent it to someone?

Jimmycxc
12-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes, it is in Texas being converted as we speak. I've read all the posts on most of the boards about the bickering that went on/is going on. After speaking with them, I felt most comfortable with VB. I've been in constant communication with him and everything is going smoothly.

nullset
12-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I hope you are happy with his work.

--buddy

Mark D
12-08-2011, 03:12 PM
For what it's worth you can come check out the BTTF builders forum at www.tfxforum.com. It's set up for builders by builders who want to have constructive discussions on the different parts and how to create a time machine replica. I's still in the process of getting organized, but the plan is for it to be a resource for accurate info on the screen used cars. No vendors trying to make a buck off of you. No BS.

BTTF-1
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
It's pretty cool that you will have a BTTF car that the original Developer/Builder "Kevin Pike" had a hand in. Are you getting the Neon Lights too? VB and Kevin were the first to put these on a replica BTTF Car I believe.

Ed:wiggle:

Jimmycxc
12-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Yes, that was one of the selling points of VB....that Kevin Pike endorses him and he has a live video cam of his shop so you can watch him work.

Yes, I will have the exterior lights on my car. The more I think about it, the more excited I am getting.

BTTF-1
12-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Congrats! You should be proud. It's pretty awesome realizing a dream. “Especially at Christmas”.

Ed:blush::wow:

BTTF-1
12-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Mark
Please it's not.

Have a wondereful Christmas

Ed:headscratch::headscratch:

john 05141
12-09-2011, 03:05 AM
And another Delorean bites the dust:bawling:
Poor Delorean....

John

Jimmycxc
12-09-2011, 08:21 AM
And another Delorean bites the dust:bawling:
Poor Delorean....

John

Did I mention that I kicked and spit on my DeLorean as I shipped it away to get converted? J/K. I love my DeLorean and like I said, it was a very long, thought out decision. This is what I want. I'll be sure to post some pictures when I get it back.

thirdmanj
12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Did I mention that I kicked and spit on my DeLorean as I shipped it away to get converted?

LoL, that's good. Heh heh

stevedmc
12-09-2011, 12:42 PM
You know once you start drilling holes in those panels it's over. Your beautiful automobile will become a heavy, rolling replica, prop. It's value as a rare car will cease.

I thought good replica's only increased in value. I've never heard of VB selling a converted time machine for less than an arm and a leg.

QuadcityDMC
12-11-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm a prop guy also and thought of turning my car into BTTF. I look at it this way, in 15-20 years from now would someone buy my car as BTTF or Delorean. If I want to drive around town on a Sunday I cant really just jump into my BTTF and do that. It's a good show/display car. What are you going to do when stuff breaks, or even gets hit on the road. Can you get car insurance on it after the conversion?

It might be bad ass when you first get it but in a few years you might retreat doing it.

I have seen 5 BTTF and they have all sucked not even close to the movie. Hope yours turns out good.

congerz83
12-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Jimmycxc... again don't let anyone's personal opinion keep you from doing what you want. Don't get discouraged. Be happy that you're following your dream.

DMCNY
12-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Out of curiousity, are you concerned about the accuracy of the car to the movie?

Jimmycxc
12-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks guys. I know everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just roll with the punches.

I actually got a pretty good deal with VB. He is coming out with a new reality show soon and didn't have any work on the books so he considerably lowered his price.

I've seen his cars before and they are more than enough accurate for me.

I'm not worried about the price of the car. I've seen what VB's cars sell for and if for some reason I found that I didn't like driving the BTTF DeLorean, I could sell it and even make a profit from it.

I intend to keep it my Sunday driver when the weather is nice and rent it out for promotion and shows.

Gary Weaver II
12-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Congrats on taking the next step. I'm sure you will enjoy your conversion and that's really all that matters.

There are at least three other BTTF-DMCs in the northeast that I know of.

The first would be Tom Silknitter's in PA. Tom is the lead archivist for the Official BTTF Fan Club and has been working on a Part II style conversion for a while now.

The second would be Bill and Patrick Sheas of MA. More info about their car can be seen here: http://88mphtimemachine.com/index.php

I believe there is also a third in PA, but I haven't heard much about it. There may also be one in New York state as well.

My best advice - if you want to enjoy your Time Machine, stay as far away from any of the BTTF-DeLorean related boards. :) All the current boards are operated by conversion builders/groups with their own agendas and desires to sell your their parts or services.

-Gary

Well like some of us, I grew up with Back to the Future. It was my favorite movie as a kid and its still on my all time favorites list. From the first time I saw it, I told myself that I would own a DeLorean someday. I saved every penny I could and bought my DeLorean. Its been about 13 years since I've had it and now have saved enough money to convert it to a BTTF replica.

Jimmycxc
12-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks Gary

Iznodmad
12-12-2011, 12:35 PM
didn't have any work on the books so he considerably lowered his price.

Not to derail the thread, but I wonder if this is a sign that these conversions are slowing down now? I never thought it was that big of a market anyway to support as many different builders as are out there.

Jimmycxc
12-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Not to derail the thread, but I wonder if this is a sign that these conversions are slowing down now? I never thought it was that big of a market anyway to support as many different builders as are out there.

He's actually getting a reality show where he builds custom movie cars/props. I imagine if the show is good, the demand for conversions will be pretty high. Which will in turn make the ones that are already converted that much more valuable....hopefully.

BTTF-1
12-13-2011, 07:38 AM
I agree. The price of a BTTF conversion never goes down.

In reference to what Gary said. It’s a real shame that in the BTTF community there are builders or should I say “self professed perfectionists” who have nothing better to do than to play games with peoples dream’s.

Ed

DMCCADANNY
12-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Hello all,

Here at DMC, we get quite a few calls from people that want to rent out “Back to the Future Delorean’s” for films and other events. (Keep in mind; they are renting out for pictures and film, not for someone else driving.)

I am putting together a contact list of all the BTTF Delorean owners everywhere.

If you have a Back to the Future Delorean and want to make some good money renting it out. Please E-Mail your contact info to [email protected]

This list will be for internal use only.

Thanks
Danny Botkin – DMC-CA

foreman
12-21-2011, 04:35 PM
My best advice - if you want to enjoy your Time Machine, stay as far away from any of the BTTF-DeLorean related boards. :) All the current boards are operated by conversion builders/groups with their own agendas and desires to sell your their parts or services.

-Gary

I couldn't disagree more. I've found all of the current boards extremely helpful with my conversion. I've heard there were agenda problems on forums that are not currently operating, but the ones that are out there now are either excellent sources of information or are new and getting better every day. Forums are always what you make of them. If you arrive with an agenda, you'll find one. I suggest always using caution with those who build, sell and make it their business to warn against other builders and sellers. Always four fingers pointing back...

Jimmycxc
12-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Its on the truck and on its way home. From the pictures I saw, Video Bob did a knock out job on it. Here's one pic. Will post some more soon.

Mark D
12-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Looks pretty good from that one pic. I realize you haven't seen it in person yet, but down the road if you are thinking of upgrading any of the parts for better screen accuracy we've got some rare parts like real orange tubes (instead of castings) for the engine deck, and correct purple and gold clamps for the exterior wiring.

The guys at temporal FX discovered what the orange tubes were earlier this year (air intake tube for a sikorsky helicopter) and we 've got a few extras on ebay right now.

The clamps we had specially manufacured by the same company as the screen used parts so they are exact to what you see on film. Nobody else in the hobby has spent the time to research and have these parts remade. We did a group buy a while back and there is an extra set on eBay right now too if you are interested.

Ebay ID is docbrownsgaragesale

nullset
12-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Nobody else in the hobby

I think you mean 'business'.

Mark D
12-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Nope. We originally got enough of these for the builders in our group. We did a group buy and had a few extras, and when these are sold then they are gone.

nullset
12-23-2011, 09:02 PM
I guess I forgot the sarcasm tags. :)

--buddy

BTTF-1
12-23-2011, 09:13 PM
I have purchased many BTTF parts from “Dockbrownsgarage” over the last few years. A part one reactor with original found heat sinks. An awesome wormhole emitter, dash boxes and just recently an orange tube. For those looking to put original found parts like those used in the movie you might want to consider looking at “Docbrownsgarage” on ebay.

Ed

TemporalFX
12-23-2011, 11:02 PM
I have purchased many BTTF parts from “Dockbrownsgarage” over the last few years. A part one reactor with original found heat sinks. An awesome wormhole emitter, dash boxes and just recently an orange tube. For those looking to put original found parts like those used in the movie you might want to consider looking at “Docbrownsgarage” on ebay.

Ed
Thanks Ed! We'll be shipping your orange tube soon! :yesss:

BTTF-1
12-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Terry & Mark

Hope you and your families have a wonderful Christmas.

Ed:angel:

TemporalFX
12-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Terry & Mark

Hope you and your families have a wonderful Christmas.

Ed:angel:

You too, Ed!

Jimmycxc
12-28-2011, 12:53 PM
A few more pics. Just got her delivered yesterday.745674577458745974607461

BTTF-1
12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Wow!
What a Christmas Present.

Enjoy!

Ed:yesss::yesss::rock_on:

Chris Burns
12-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Nice ride man!!:nana2:

thirdmanj
12-28-2011, 08:51 PM
:disapprove:

Nah, jus jokin'. Glad you got your ride, I hope it all works out well for you! I admit, it's damn good looking.

tyb323
12-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I look forward to possibly seeing this thing at some DMA events!

Jimmycxc
12-29-2011, 07:00 AM
I look forward to possibly seeing this thing at some DMA events!

I'll be at the DeLorean Midatlantic meeting in January for mini golf/dinner.

Thank you. It turned out just as I imagined.

Spittybug
01-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Now if it could really time travel, then I'd do it. Simply to mimic a movie prop? I don't get it. I'm the first to try new, original modifications or to adopt safety/performance/style improvements that others originate, but I can't get my head around spending money to copy a prop.

Isn't that kinda like giving your kid a goofy haircut so that he looks like Justin Beaber? All flash and no substance?

No offense to anyone, just my $.02

Jimmycxc
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Sure, all the money spent on it doesn't really do anything functionally to the car. In all reality, it makes it a little more difficult to drive with all the electronics in the way. But I am a huge Back to the Future fan and always wanted one, so that's why I worked hard, saved up and did it.

Besides that, it is incredible with the amount of attention one gets with it. I certainly don't brag about the things I own, but rather educate and explain things about the car when people ask.

SIMid
01-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Looks really good! Now to remove the hood badge and drop her. ;)

Jimmycxc
01-04-2012, 07:26 AM
I was thinking about getting lowering springs. I meant to bid on the ones on ebay not too long ago, but the wife wanted one more glass of wine at dinner and I missed the auction. We'll see.

Kenny_Z
01-04-2012, 12:04 PM
How hard is it to shift with the switch for the time circuits sitting right there?

I'd never convert mine but I'd love to see one in person. That looks very nice..

Jimmycxc
01-04-2012, 12:40 PM
It does take a little getting used to. You have to wrap your arm over the top of the Time Circuit Switch. Your shoulder gets sore real quick. Just like getting used to the stiff clutch on our cars, it only takes a little while to get used to.

jmrydholm
01-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I love the movie replicas, though I wouldn't do that to my car, personally! (My wife would be mad, she likes it as stock as possible.)

Anyone know where to find a list of parts needed for the little, digital speedometer on the dash? I've heard of GPS capable units that don't need to be hooked up to a cable or speed sensor of any kind and run on batteries or off the vehicle's own wiring. I'd love to take a crack at building that.

Bill
01-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I love the movie replicas, though I wouldn't do that to my car, personally! (My wife would be mad, she likes it as stock as possible.)

Anyone know where to find a list of parts needed for the little, digital speedometer on the dash? I've heard of GPS capable units that don't need to be hooked up to a cable or speed sensor of any kind and run on batteries or off the vehicle's own wiring. I'd love to take a crack at building that.

The guy that has the speedometers is Erick at BTTF Hardware. He is located in France, and here is his email....

[email protected]

Mark D
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
If you're looking to build one instead of buy one you can still find the accurate Hammond enclosure at mouser electronics. P/N is 1591CGY

Link here:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond/1591CGY/?qs=savM97goi5jqoDygdYdvPg%3d%3d

The screen used displays were manufactured by Stanley Readout, but are pretty rare. They were originally used for flight speed indicators or some other instrumentation on an aircraft control panel. You can find castings of real ones from a few different prop builders if you want accurate displays, or you can use LED's

Here's a breakdown of what the stanley's look like:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7638&d=1325896785
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7639&d=1325896787

I'm not sure if Eric at BTTF hardware uses the right displays or LED's. A few other builders have build GPS based speedos also and could help with the electronics if you want to build vs. buy an already complete unit.

sbblowz
01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
wow great car. have any plans to bring it to any shows in NJ?

Gary Weaver II
01-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Erick will soon be upgrading his 88 MPH Speedos to a screen-accurate Stanley Display/LED based setup.

His speedo can be intergrated with a GPS sender unit -and- is interactive with his other replicas. I have his complete electronics package in my car including the Flux Capacitor and it's a great setup.

-Gary

Jimmycxc
01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
wow great car. have any plans to bring it to any shows in NJ?

Yes Sir. Can't wait for the spring. If you are in the area and want to check it out, feel free to send me a PM or email. [email protected]

tyb323
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Just saw the car last night at the DMA Holiday Party. Looks awesome,especially at night with the lights on! Well done Videobob and once again, congrats Jim

videobob
01-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Thank you all for the compliments.
I always put my heart and soul into each car, no matter what I charge for it.
Some people don't understand why I do it, why others want it, but if you drive it
and experience it in person you will understand!!!

As for the shifting, this is why I build the "inaccurate" automatic versions by request!!

rundmc
01-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I confess I've always loved the Part 1 parking lot Time Machine, and sometimes dreamed of having that car, but everytime I look at my DMC I just can't summon up enough courage or crazy to do it. Maybe it is because more than a few women have said how "hot" the car is without all the time gear on it, surprised that a sleek cool car was the basis for the famous time machine. Plus, I have a hard time converting rare things into props. Probably why I have 2 Graflex flashes and two replica lightsabers rather than just converting the flashes.

dvonk
01-20-2012, 01:57 PM
i have both the Graflex 3-cell and the Heiland Synchronar flash handles... except mine are part of my vintage camera collection and will not be converted into lightsabers. :smile:

rundmc
01-20-2012, 04:16 PM
i have both the Graflex 3-cell and the Heiland Synchronar flash handles... except mine are part of my vintage camera collection and will not be converted into lightsabers. :smile:

That's exactly why I didn't convert mine. Too many have been destroyed by conversion and I love 1930s and 1940s style. I bought them to save them.

videobob
01-20-2012, 07:43 PM
You guys talk about the Time Machine as a "prop" like it's not a Delorean anymore.
It's still a Delorean.
It still runs and drives...
it just does it with a bunch of cool looking stuff attached to it.
Out of the 9000+ cars built, and 6000+ to be believed to still be on the road,
only .3% or less of them have been converted into Time Machines.
(around 20 to 30 cars or so)
Not sure how many there are out there but I don't think the Delorean is in danger because me.
If you do some market research (like I have) the average Delorean fan is 35-55,
right about the age of someone who grew up watching BTTF.
I think most of the original Delorean fans have died off, what's left are the middle aged guys who love the Time Machine.
If not for BTTF, the Delorean would be a footnote mentioned with the Bricklin and the Bradley GT.
Chances are, without BTTF, the car would have totally faded out from disinterest and people would not have held onto them as long and there wouldn't be a thriving parts market for the vendors and DMC franchises.
In my personal opinion, all DMC owners and businesses owe the film for making the car iconic because otherwise this fan base might not exist at all.

The reason your cars still have value and interest in the public eye is because of those 3 movies, and cars like mine keep it alive by making appearances at shows and on TV shows like the news coverage I got last night.
Think about it, do you think CBS cares my mail was stolen?
No!!! It was all about the CARS!!!!
THAT'S what made it interesting!!!
Everyone loves those movies, the news anchors were quoting it and laughing.

So at the end of the day, all Delorean owners owe a debt to BTTF, because without it
you may not be able to enjoy your car, because it would not have been preserved, would not have a vendor base to supply parts and no one would really care about it when you took it out. It would just be an obscure oddity like an Amphicar or something goofy like that.

Love it or hate, agree or disagree, that's the truth as I see it.
- VB

Kenny_Z
01-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I've always wondered, how do you get to the engine after a conversion? I don't think I've ever seen a picture like that.

videobob
01-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I've always wondered, how do you get to the engine after a conversion? I don't think I've ever seen a picture like that.

The rear deck is attached to the original engine cover and lifts up just like normal.
If you needed to major engine work, the same four 10mm bolts that hold the engine cover is all that holds that whole rig on!!
It's weight holds it down.
With the "screen accurate" version, the lower sections of the vents wrap around
the top portion of the rear fascia and up against the tail lights.

It is simple to lift up, (prop up with a pole) and do what ever is needed.
Thanks!!

videobob
01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Thank you for the compliments!
I have to admit, it took me years to commit to actually DRILLING into the car,
however after attending all of the Delorean Car shows and DMCH Open House events and getting to know some of the most respected technicians in the DMC community
I have learned that nothing is "permanent" on a Delorean.
The holes can all be filled in, panels replaced, etc.
So should the "Time Machine" fall out of grace in the future and the raw Delorean is more valuable and desired than the movie prop, you COULD revert the car back to original if you were willing to put in some time to do it.
They are just little 1/8" holes!!
A quick weld, rasp, sand, buff and blend and it's good as new!!!
Like I mentioned before, the conversions make up less than one half of one percent of all the Deloreans out there, so I am barely making a dent in them...(or rather, hole)
lol

I don't like bickering either, and I have no issue with delorean conversions. For my part, I was just describing my personal inability to get up the courage to do something like that. I don't judge others. I love the work of pros like Videobob. Makes me more than a little wistful. And as I said, the Part I Twin Pines Time Machine will always be a dream car for me (alongside a Cumberland Grey Series 4 Aston Martin V8 with missiles in the foglights and artic outriggers) Think you could hook me up with a Dalton Bond car, videobob? ;)

Kenny_Z
01-21-2012, 02:32 PM
It is simple to lift up, (prop up with a pole) and do what ever is needed.
Thanks!!

Thanks for the information, it sounds potentially painful. I had to do the pole thing with Red for awhile because the louver struts were blown. I bumped my support pole I got clobbered by the engine cover and louvers. It hurt but I was laughing so hard at the stupidity of it I could barely get myself out. So, be careful ;)

videobob
01-21-2012, 02:43 PM
I too once knocked the pole out and was clobbered in the head by the cover, except mine had the metal vents attached!! It was pretty bad, there was blood.
So I learned to make the pole the right length and put it in the right place.
(insert sex joke here)
So now I have it secured pretty safe and will usually use two of them if we are
working on the car.

sdg3205
01-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Here's something I realized over the whole BTTF conversion thing:

Yes, it pains me to see nice cars become replicas, but Videobob admits this too. I'm a purist, plain and simple. That's just me. I'm definitely not "pro - bttf conversion".

What astounds me is that Videobob has built a successful business around his conversions, and for that he deserves the utmost respect. To anyone else out there in creative fields (and self-employed to boot) it's a very tough time. It's probably always been harder for us creative types, but creative media has never been as undervalued as it is now. The fact that someone can make a damn decent living doing what he or she loves is simply priceless.

I've tossed around the idea of restoring DeLoreans for additional income and self-fullfilment and if I can find a way to do it I will. Bob, I'd certainly entertain any advice you could give as you've now got a breadth of experience with something similar.

Cheers,

Jimmycxc
01-22-2012, 08:01 AM
I confess I've always loved the Part 1 parking lot Time Machine, and sometimes dreamed of having that car, but everytime I look at my DMC I just can't summon up enough courage or crazy to do it. Maybe it is because more than a few women have said how "hot" the car is without all the time gear on it, surprised that a sleek cool car was the basis for the famous time machine. Plus, I have a hard time converting rare things into props. Probably why I have 2 Graflex flashes and two replica lightsabers rather than just converting the flashes.

I can totally agree with you on this RunDMC. I was talking about converting it for years before I actually decided to do it. Going back and forth whether to do it or not. I always wanted to, but never had the balls to actually go through with it. However, one night, on my honeymoon nonetheless, I got so drunk, I said F it and I ordered the time circuits from Erick. When I got home, I had a good conversation with VB and was shipping my car down to Dallas the next week.

Part of me is sad that I took away the originality of the car, but the other 98% of me says, I have the coolest car in world. Like VB told me before hand, it is completely different owning a DeLorean vs a DeLorean Time Machine. If you think you receive attention now with your DeLorean, you have no idea how much you get with the Time Machine. You are an instant celebrity.

You can see in the eyes of everyone who stops to look at it that they are reliving their childhood by seeing this car. Bringing them to a place where times were more simple. To see that enjoyment on total stranger's faces, it was worth it to me.

sean
01-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Dang, I get busy for a couple of days and things go apeshit, BTTF style. Flames are out and I hope the conversation can get back on a positive track. Next one to how the BTTF molotov cocktail wins a time out. I don't care who started it take it to PM or one of the other forums.

Nicholas R
01-22-2012, 04:10 PM
To both Jimmycxc and Videobob I think the car looks awesome! Though for now BTTF conversions aren't something that I would attempt, I think they're pretty awesome, especially when your level of effort is put in.

Also Bob I have to say I've always been impressed by the blue neon style lighting under the grating of your cars more than any others.

T_Stanley
01-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Any chance of seeing a video of this car in action?

rundmc
01-22-2012, 07:40 PM
I can totally agree with you on this RunDMC. I was talking about converting it for years before I actually decided to do it. Going back and forth whether to do it or not. I always wanted to, but never had the balls to actually go through with it. However, one night, on my honeymoon nonetheless, I got so drunk, I said F it and I ordered the time circuits from Erick. When I got home, I had a good conversation with VB and was shipping my car down to Dallas the next week.

Part of me is sad that I took away the originality of the car, but the other 98% of me says, I have the coolest car in world. Like VB told me before hand, it is completely different owning a DeLorean vs a DeLorean Time Machine. If you think you receive attention now with your DeLorean, you have no idea how much you get with the Time Machine. You are an instant celebrity.

You can see in the eyes of everyone who stops to look at it that they are reliving their childhood by seeing this car. Bringing them to a place where times were more simple. To see that enjoyment on total stranger's faces, it was worth it to me.

I often mull how mega-popular my car would be after said conversion. Then I think about things like the difficulty shifting, the time circuits covering the A/C console, the loss of the parcel shelf to the techno-firewall thingy, loss of any rear visibility, and the increased claustrophobia when surrounded by cabling, ceiling consoles and the like. Granted, I have no firsthand experience with this, so I admit it is all perception based on regularly driving my stock DMC.

Plus, I REALLY like the rear louvers of the vehicle a lot. Losing them would nag at me.

Maybe one day a few years from now the bug will be too big to fight off...

SIMid
01-22-2012, 11:42 PM
I often mull how mega-popular my car would be after said conversion. Then I think about things like the difficulty shifting, the time circuits covering the A/C console, the loss of the parcel shelf to the techno-firewall thingy, loss of any rear visibility, and the increased claustrophobia when surrounded by cabling, ceiling consoles and the like. Granted, I have no firsthand experience with this, so I admit it is all perception based on regularly driving my stock DMC.

To me, having a BTTF replica is pretty much a toy than anything else. Definately not transport, more so a prop like everything else BTTF related that's kept for show and tell.

videobob
01-23-2012, 04:20 AM
Thanks, however I use WHITE neon / LEDs because that's what they used in the film, it looks blue with certain camera settings.
If you watch the behind the scenes you will see it is white.
Thanks.

To both Jimmycxc and Videobob I think the car looks awesome! Though for now BTTF conversions aren't something that I would attempt, I think they're pretty awesome, especially when your level of effort is put in.

Also Bob I have to say I've always been impressed by the blue neon style lighting under the grating of your cars more than any others.

Jimmycxc
01-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Any chance of seeing a video of this car in action?

Yes, I will put a video together once all this white stuff on the ground is all gone. There are some pictures on http://www.rentthetimemachine.com and if you like it on facebook, there are a few more pictures.

Jimmycxc
01-23-2012, 06:48 AM

Plus, I REALLY like the rear louvers of the vehicle a lot. Losing them would nag at me.

Maybe one day a few years from now the bug will be too big to fight off...

I was concerned about all the same things. The shifting does take a little bit to get used to, but not that bad. The center vents are not completely defunct. You just place the vents pointing down and the air comes underneath the time circuits. For rear visibility, I had Bob add a rear view camera and 7" screen. You still have a little bit of a rear deck, although not as much...maybe 50% of what it was. As far as claustrophobia....yes, it is tight in there, but again, you get used to it.

I did like the rear louvers, but I must admit that I like the BTTF vents more after seeing it in person.

thirdmanj
01-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Website looks great dude! I hope this works out well for you!

videobob
01-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Wow, really cool website!
Thanks for all the mentions and plugs!!
-VB

Yes, I will put a video together once all this white stuff on the ground is all gone. There are some pictures on http://www.rentthetimemachine.com and if you like it on facebook, there are a few more pictures.

stevedmc
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
These fights are about as silly as the carb arguments.

While I have no desire to convert a car to a BTTF replica I have no problem with a person doing what they want to do to their own car. If you own the car, do whatever you want to it as long as it makes you happy.

I don't understand the whole BTTF mess myself. We even have a guy in Baton Rouge who drives a BTTF replica as his daily driver. It is his only car. I could never handle that much attention, but he drives it daily and seems to do fine. While I don't understand why a person would want to drive such a thing, I still have respect for the guy and I admire the hard work he did in making his car look nice. It really is a beautiful conversion and looks far better than the aging crap I've seen at Universal Orlando.

At the end of the day you just have to be happy with yourself. If you like BTTF deloreans then go for it. If you like stock, go for it. If you want to spend $200,000 making your Delorean look like a Dodge Charger, go for it and start up a car company building cars with ghetto crack heads.

Bruce Johnson
01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
I've a tacky idea...I have a Bricklin you can convert! :smoke1:

thirdmanj
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I've a tacky idea...I have a Bricklin you can convert! :smoke1:

That would be EPIC!!!!

Citizen
01-23-2012, 07:28 PM
We even have a guy in Baton Rouge who drives a BTTF replica as his daily driver. It is his only car.

Steve, would you know the VIN of that BTTF car? Sorry to perpetually repeat the request on this forum, but I'm trying assemble a complete VIN list of BTTF (and other) conversions.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Thomas (citizen)

Jimmycxc
02-06-2012, 07:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYoqL8GxN0

Here's a quick video I shot yesterday since the weather was finally cooperating.

knightjp
02-07-2012, 03:45 AM
I guess no one has tried to make a replica of the animated series car....

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2186-Animated-Delorean&p=29474#post29474

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYoqL8GxN0

Here's a quick video I shot yesterday since the weather was finally cooperating.

Awesome video... Thanks for sharing... :)

BTTF-1
02-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Loved the video. Congrats agin. She sure is a beauty.

Ed:flamed::elmo1:

SIMid
02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
What's the device to make the BTTF door sound? I'm thinking of adding one to mine as a shit stir than anything else. :)

Who can I ask to enquire about one? I did ask before, but came to a dead end with no response.

MML
02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
What's the device to make the BTTF door sound? I'm thinking of adding one to mine as a shit stir than anything else. :)

Who can I ask to enquire about one? I did ask before, but came to a dead end with no response.

Yeah I find that people tend to be disappointed when they find out the doors don't sound like that in real life! :lol:

Mark D
02-07-2012, 10:07 PM

You'll need to rig up a small audio player tied into the door switches, or you can you install a designated switch to trigger the sound to be played. You can use separate speakers just for the effect, or more easily just tap into the car's speakers to play the sound.

If you're serious about this mod I can put you in touch with a few guys that can help.

gasflaphoodfan95
11-10-2012, 01:53 AM
How much did Videobob charge for the conversion??