PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Oh,wow: I guess I forgot to reinstall it....

Henrik
12-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I was in the attic last night digging around for christmas stuff and what do I find, if not the rear impact absorber that I apparently forgot to re-install after my engine overhaul. Hmmm... dilemma... do I want to put back that heavy boat anchor (slows down the already slow car) which obviously goes at the very tail end of the car (adds to the weight imbalance) OR should I leave it as is? Nah, I'll leave it for now... Go ahead, call me a fool.

Mark D
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Hope you don't get into a rear end collision then if you plan to leave it off. I'd venture to guess you are more likely to sustain frame and body damage without it. Not to mention increase chance of bodily injury.

Hope your insurance company doesn't ever read this thread either. If they find out you knowingly removed a safety critial impact absorber on your car they may deny your claim if you are in a collision.

Not the type of weight savings mod I'd recommend.

DMCMW Dave
12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
You'll also find that the facia may tend to sag over time with it missing. More than normal, anyway.

nofear365
12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
How much does it weigh?

robvanderveer
12-08-2011, 02:48 PM
What on earth was it doing in the attic?

Nicholas R
12-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm curious how something like that could be forgotten.

john 05141
12-09-2011, 02:55 AM
I think I would put it back on. Wintertime, perfect time for this type of job.
And while I'm there, sorry to go off topic a bit;

I need to adjust my rear facia, it is not sitting nicely. Where are the attachment screws for it?

Thanks,
John