PDA

View Full Version : Engine W-Pipe Little Plate Gasket

1batt4u
12-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi all,

Getting ready to paint the intake system. W-pipe, http://store.delorean.com/p-6433-tubes-throtmfld.aspx little plate there, has a gasket. Need a new one. Any idea where to get it?

Delorean Industries
12-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Right stuff gasket maker. I saw your other thread regarding gaskets as well. We seal the timing cover, valve covers and W pipe with Right stuff gasket maker. The end result when applied correctly isn't even visible.

We now have the air horn plate reproduced in stainless btw available now as well.

1batt4u
12-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Thank you for that info!! I just got my box yesterday with all the little stuff I ordered from you as well.

So Right stuff gasket maker for Valve Covers, timing Cover, and W pipe. Cool!

How about water pump, and most of all Y-pipe??

1batt4u
12-11-2011, 11:16 PM
When applying Right stuff gasket maker, also have the new gaskets on as well, use it on both sides of the gasket??

DMCTek
12-12-2011, 12:49 AM
When applying Right stuff gasket maker, also have the new gaskets on as well, use it on both sides of the gasket??

Yes both sides of the gasket.

Delorean Industries
12-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Yes both sides. But leaving the timing cover gasket off completely is a good idea. Just seal the front cover using right stuff. Also on the bottom bolts of the cover you will need to install sealer as well. These bolts are straight through into the crankcase and oil will crawl the threads if not sealed properly.

1batt4u
12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
So, do not use the 2 gaskets on the timing cover, just cover it with Right Stuff. Which exact bottom bolts of the cover Should I use Right Stuff?

Delorean Industries
12-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Correct. We have stopped using the gaskets due to premature failures. Poor design to begin with. 10k later down the road no leaks with right stuff. When applied correctly you can not even tell its not a gasket.

If you look at the base of the timing cover it is any bolt that goes into the lower cradle section of the engine. These are the ones that require sealant.

stevedmc
12-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Correct. We have stopped using the gaskets due to premature failures. Poor design to begin with. 10k later down the road no leaks with right stuff.

I'm using red RTV which I guess is basically the same stuff. Apply plenty of the stuff, lightly hand tighten the cover(s), let it sit overnight, and then torque the bolts to about 9 pounds the next day.

I did this about 3 months ago and my engine is leak free.

David T
12-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Squeeze out the excess when tightening up and wipe off the excess before it dries. Always MAKE SURE the tube says "Sensor Safe".
David Teitelbaum

Ozzie
12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
"Right Stuff Gasket Maker".
Never used this stuff. Is it hard to remove after it's applied, like on the next time the valve covers have to come off?

Delorean Industries
12-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Right Stuff really isn't that difficult to deal with when you need to remove a cover again. Solvents are available to help with cleaning off the sealant as well.