PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Front tower strut brace

Jeff K
12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Anyone have experience and opinions of this?

http://www.dmoco.com/strut_brace_pic.html

Or a similar/better product.

Thanks
Jeff

Cory W
12-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Got the (almost identical) one previously sold at DMCMW. Love it. Drove my car 2500 miles home before installing. There IS a difference to me in how it handles. (I have stock height and suspension)

Don't like how you have to remove it to get the tire/access the fuel pump/sender area, though. Occasionally find its luggage compartment intrusion cumbersome. Will purchase the DMCNW version that resolves these issues once available and I'm buying car parts again.

Jeff K
12-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Got the (almost identical) one previously sold at DMCMW. Love it. Drove my car 2500 miles home before installing. There IS a difference to me in how it handles. (I have stock height and suspension)

Don't like how you have to remove it to get the tire/access the fuel pump/sender area, though. Occasionally find its luggage compartment intrusion cumbersome. Will purchase the DMCNW version that resolves these issues once available and I'm buying car parts again.

Good stuff, I appreciate it. I can't find info on the DMCMW one, do you have a link?

Thanks

dmc6960
12-13-2011, 07:37 PM
There were posts by Toby on the old .com site with preview pictures of the shock brace and the new rear anti-roll bar which goes through the rear frame tunnel and bolts to the trailing arm/hub carrier. Hopefully Toby can post them again, and maybe an update for how long until we see them for sale.

Grover
12-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Last I spoke with Toby he mentioned that the company he was using to make the flat front strut braces went out of business, along with the CAD drawings/tooling to make it. He mentioned he has to start over and that is the delay with the front brace.

Here is the email response I got:

"We had a local small manufacturing company getting ready to machine a batch of the major pieces, and their partnership more or less dissolved before they could make significant headway. They had finished the CAD (Computer Aided Design) drawings, and were on the way to creating a CAM (Computer Aided Machining) master file for use with either a laser cutter or a water jet. When things imploded, I was not able to get either file. We are seeking a new company to make them. I have received a number of inquiries regarding this product, and will see if I can get some progress made towards having these made. The design may have to get tweaked a bit if the capabilities of a new machine shop don’t line up with the original design. However, the design intent will be preserved."

Toby, if you would like for me to remove the post, please let me know.

DMCMW Dave
12-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Good stuff, I appreciate it. I can't find info on the DMCMW one, do you have a link?

Thanks

Our website is still down (usually dmcmidwest.com) but at any rate, our supplier on that bar dried up and we don't have them any more. The DMOCO bar is essentially the same design.

Jeff K
12-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Our website is still down (usually dmcmidwest.com) but at any rate, our supplier on that bar dried up and we don't have them any more. The DMOCO bar is essentially the same design.

Thanks. I guess if I want one in the somewhat near future, this is it.

Stainless
12-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I've got one in mine too:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/jlattin21/D20.jpg

Since I bought the D with this installed, I have no before/after experience to help with this discussion. I've removed it to replace the brake master cylinder and it comes out super fast and easy.

Jeff K
12-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I've got one in mine too:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/jlattin21/D20.jpg

Since I bought the D with this installed, I have no before/after experience to help with this discussion. I've removed it to replace the brake master cylinder and it comes out super fast and easy.

Thanks - I was hoping removal would be easy if I need the spare or get to the fuel pump/sending unit/brake mc.

DCUK Martin
12-18-2011, 05:50 AM
My problem with all the bars that use rod ends is that they provide only axial rigidity, they provide no torsional rigidity whatsoever, and that's one of the primary functions of a strut brace.

I would also love to see a blind test to see if there really is a difference.

Bitsyncmaster
12-18-2011, 11:01 AM
My problem with all the bars that use rod ends is that they provide only axial rigidity, they provide no torsional rigidity whatsoever, and that's one of the primary functions of a strut brace.

Need to have about 10 owners with them take two drive. But someone will remove (unbolt one end) and have the owners tell you which of the two drives had the bar installed.

thirdmanj
03-20-2013, 07:54 AM

Just saw a post about one of these for sale, just figured I do a quick check and see if there was ever any discussion on the subject. Turns out DCUK Martin said exactly what I was thinking.