PDA

View Full Version : TV purchasing advice

Roman Legion
12-15-2011, 01:27 PM
I sold most of my stuff before I left for mobilization and now that I am no longer going I am in the market for a new TV for my xbox. I am looking to get a 60" or 65" Plasma for gaming purposes only (I don't watch TV, only play games..lol). I am thinking about getting a refurb Mitsubishi WD-65738 65-inch 120Hz 3D DLP TV for $839.99; if anyone can link me to a great quality product at a low price, that would be freaking awesome!

SamHill
12-15-2011, 02:16 PM
I sold most of my stuff before I left for mobilization and now that I am no longer going I am in the market for a new TV for my xbox. I am looking to get a 60" or 65" Plasma for gaming purposes only (I don't watch TV, only play games..lol). I am thinking about getting a refurb Mitsubishi WD-65738 65-inch 120Hz 3D DLP TV for $839.99; if anyone can link me to a great quality product at a low price, that would be freaking awesome!

This would dip into your Delorean fund. You are DENIED, boyfriend.

Roman Legion
12-15-2011, 02:30 PM
This would dip into your Delorean fund. You are DENIED, boyfriend.

As of right now, I don't see myself ever getting a DeLorean, let alone getting up close to one. Until I find a job, that won't happen. The job market here is nihl.. As for right now, I need a TV for my xbox; the one thing keeping me from going entirely off the deep end.

SamHill
12-15-2011, 05:07 PM
As of right now, I don't see myself ever getting a DeLorean, let alone getting up close to one. Until I find a job, that won't happen. The job market here is nihl.. As for right now, I need a TV for my xbox; the one thing keeping me from going entirely off the deep end.

A bit dramatic. A bus ticket to any number of friendly owners gets you seeing, touching and riding in one. Good things, wait, etc.

robvanderveer
12-15-2011, 05:16 PM
So you are seeing buying advice from people who bought a DeLorean?

DMCVegas
12-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Honestly, DLP TVs look like shit. They use two images that are projected onto the screen in order to allow a wider viewing angle. That's nice and all in theory. However if they're not angled properly at the factory (especially with a refurb unit), or the unit takes a hard enough hit during transport, the image can become blurry when the calibration gets fucked-up, and you can't do anything about it.

Shoot for either a Plasma, or a Back-Lit LED TV. You'll be thankful you did.

Since we're on the topic of TVs, I'll chime in on this one.

As for any HDTV, after dealing with them on a daily basis for years, here are my rules for buying one.

Know the difference between "i" and "p" on your TV's numbers. i=Interlaced Scan meaning only every other pixel is refreshed between visible frames. p= Progressive Scan meaning that the ENTIRE screen is refreshed between pixels. This helps with Clarity during action shots in movies and sports.

Without exception only go for 1080p resolution. If it's necessary to go with 720p resolution, it should be strictly limited to 32" screens and below. You can get 1080p in some small screens, and most people will never know the difference, but only because they've never been shown. However, once you pass 32" visibility, the horrible picture quality can become painfully obvious due to larger pixels and the lack of detail. For future expansion as well, gaming systems and Content providers are all switching over to 1080p, so you need to be better prepared for the future.

Never trust the picture in the store! Picture quality greatly depends upon the source. If I wanted to sell you a big 1080p TV, I'd switch the source over to a 1080p signal and as a result the 1080p TV would look better. If I wanted to sell you a 720p TV, I'd switch the signal over to 720p and could then successfully convince you that there was no difference in picture quality and get you to buy that one. And if I switched to analog, the old CRT TV would then have a better picture. You get the idea. There are standards for TVs for you to help you choose. Use them rather than a salesman.

Only buy a minimum 120hz Refresh rate. Like the 720p rule, unless it's a small TV, you can't get away with this slow rate. You need it especially for proper Blu-ray viewing, as well as gaming in the future. 60hz is the same thing as Standard Definition. So, what exactly is that number indicative of? It has to do with how fast the TV can process the data it receives through it's input sources and display it on the TV. Lower speeds make it look crappy because it's skipping frames. As a result, whenever you watch a TV with a 120hz or greater refresh rate, the movement on the screen is much more fluid. Even live action movies look almost animated because the motion is so smooth. It's one of those things that once you see it side by side you won't realize it. And once you do, there's no going back.

3D TV is a waste of time right now. You need a 3D capable Set Top Box, and most providers just don't have them. Unless you either have a bunch of 3D movies you want to watch, or absolutely MUST watch ESPN in 3D and have the equipment to do so, feel free to skip this as a feature.

Plasma TVs produce the best Picture Quality, but have the shortest lifespan. This is because plasmas generate light rather than filter it. Tune your TV to a channel that's broadcasting a black screen. Even in a dark room it glows. That's called light leakage. LED TV's (and you have to be careful when buying one) can come close, but only if they're back-lit. Plasma is also far more susceptible to burn-in than LEDs & LCDs, so if you're gaming you need to be careful. Most Plasmas do have a feature though that will subtly move the picture around to prevent it.

Reduce your TV's brightness to 80% to add several years to it's life. Whether it's a Plasma TV, or a Fluorescent Tube-lit LCD TV, reducing the brightness of the picture will go a long way to preserving your TV's life. The brighter you run the TV, the less it's lifespan, and that's just by itself. Heat is also a big killer, and the brighter the TV, the hotter it gets inside thus shortening the lifespan of the TV even further. Likewise something to consider is that Plasmas themselves do in fact run MUCH hotter than LCDs or LEDs. LEDs themselves are almost entirely cool to the touch most of the time. So if you've got a small to medium room where the TV resides, be prepared to run the A/C more often to cool it down. So that is something else you would want to consider as well.

Roman Legion
12-15-2011, 06:45 PM
A bit dramatic. A bus ticket to any number of friendly owners gets you seeing, touching and riding in one. Good things, wait, etc.

If the Army approves my conditional release, I will likely be making paid monthly trips to the Newport News area(USAF or USN!).. I hope good things come, but I seriously doubt it. Anyway, back to the TV; I am seriously thinking of getting this model, but I would like some input or maybe a reference to a TV along these lines that someone got and can personally vouch for; I like the forums here and most of the people, so that is why I ask.

@DMCVegas What do you think of this one? Looks to be good, I can settle for a 50" or 55" over a 60" or 65".. Even save a few dollars..

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775861000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2#reviewsWrap

TTait
12-15-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm a big fan of the picture on the Sharp Aquos. We have a 47 and a 60 now. I'd encourage you to take a look at these, as well as the top of the line aquos quatron models.

Beautiful picture. These TVs will keep me happy until 4k sets eventually come along - and they will be a long time coming.

You will always find your best price online, from Abes of Main or Tiger Direct or ??? Use amazon, Google shopper, Bing, mysimon, pricescan etc to find the best price on the unit you settle on. The price will easily beat any big box store you can find - and typically you will not pay sales tax - but there is a hidden price to pay. With these sets they will not ship until a salesman gets you on the phone to "confirm your order". This guys job is to upsell you. $50 HDMI cables (NEVER bite on an expensive HDMI cable - buy them on ebay cheap - same product for 8% of the price), extended warranties, surge surpressors, wall mounts and so on. With the possible exception of the extended warranty - always just say no. Way way overpriced. If you must consider the extended warranty, you can get it for 60% of the price they first offer it to you, but it will be a very long and protracted negotiation to get there.

This call will be annoying. They will hard sell. They might trick you into buying something - they are good at their jobs. Then the wait for delivery begins. Figure it will take 2 weeks. Then the delivery will be botched and later than it was supposed to be, even after the delivery company calls to confirm.

If you can deal with all of this you can save hundreds. Or you can go to best buy, pay tax, a higher price, and just take it home - your call, there is no right answer.

If you have any specific questions on devices, just ask.

Happy gaming.

Tom

Tom

Roman Legion
12-16-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm a big fan of the picture on the Sharp Aquos. We have a 47 and a 60 now. I'd encourage you to take a look at these, as well as the top of the line aquos quatron models.

Beautiful picture. These TVs will keep me happy until 4k sets eventually come along - and they will be a long time coming.

You will always find your best price online, from Abes of Main or Tiger Direct or ??? Use amazon, Google shopper, Bing, mysimon, pricescan etc to find the best price on the unit you settle on. The price will easily beat any big box store you can find - and typically you will not pay sales tax - but there is a hidden price to pay. With these sets they will not ship until a salesman gets you on the phone to "confirm your order". This guys job is to upsell you. $50 HDMI cables (NEVER bite on an expensive HDMI cable - buy them on ebay cheap - same product for 8% of the price), extended warranties, surge surpressors, wall mounts and so on. With the possible exception of the extended warranty - always just say no. Way way overpriced. If you must consider the extended warranty, you can get it for 60% of the price they first offer it to you, but it will be a very long and protracted negotiation to get there.

This call will be annoying. They will hard sell. They might trick you into buying something - they are good at their jobs. Then the wait for delivery begins. Figure it will take 2 weeks. Then the delivery will be botched and later than it was supposed to be, even after the delivery company calls to confirm.

If you can deal with all of this you can save hundreds. Or you can go to best buy, pay tax, a higher price, and just take it home - your call, there is no right answer.

If you have any specific questions on devices, just ask.

Happy gaming.

Tom

Tom

I just watched an online review for it and it looked and sounded amazing. I think I will just go with the 40" model here as it is a fair size and very affordable.

http://www.kitchentradition.com/_CGI/MODEL?KEY=SHP:LC40LE820UN&gdftrk=gdfV2934_a_7c137_a_7c4876_a_7cSHP_a3a_LC40L E820UN

My two runner ups are..
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775921000P?mv=rr

and

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775861000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Which of the three is my best bet?

Spittybug
12-16-2011, 09:45 AM
You should consider the Samsung UN55D7000 LED TV. 1080p, 240hz, 3D, WEB, smart apps, wifi. Online ~$1700. I actually got mine at Sears through what I can only believe was a bit of screw-up/luck with a young sales guy meeting a price he shouldn't have. ~$1650 + tax however.

I just did a lot of homework before buying this. I too was a skeptic on the 3D until we started watching it. WOW. We have DirecTV satellite and they have several dedicated 3D channels. It has a 2D to 3D feature which artificially upconverts. It works! While not the eye popping creature floating in space right before your eyes, it gives depth to what you are watching; including my sons first person shooter Xbox games. The Samsung uses active glasses rather than the movies and LG that use passive. The 3D channels DO have the eye popping, float in your face.......

The quality of HD programming available is very inconsistent. The dedicated HD channels are positively awesome, to the point of actually seeing pores in actors' skin! The big 4 networks can have good HD on their HD version of the broadcasts, but a lot of what they pawn off as HD is some kind of upconverted non HD and it is not as good. As someone else mentioned, this will improve with time.

I know you said you aren't a TV watcher, but so far the gaming on the TV has been great too. It is a very, very thin TV and when on the wall, truly looks like a picture in a frame, not a TV. The amount of adjustability of the picture is phenomenal and there are plenty of HDMI and other flavors of inputs. Right now this is in the media room. When we move, this thing could easily be mounted inconspicuously on a wall in a living room and have it display ever changing art like a giant picture. It's that good!

DMCVegas
12-16-2011, 10:04 AM
I just watched an online review for it and it looked and sounded amazing. I think I will just go with the 40" model here as it is a fair size and very affordable.

http://www.kitchentradition.com/_CGI/MODEL?KEY=SHP:LC40LE820UN&gdftrk=gdfV2934_a_7c137_a_7c4876_a_7cSHP_a3a_LC40L E820UN

My two runner ups are..
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775921000P?mv=rr

and

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775861000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Since the Sharp TV is LED-lit, it's gonna run a whole lot cooler than the other two plasmas. Plus you don't have to worry about burn-in. I've not heard anything bad about Zenith, and I've had really great experiences with LG both at work and at home. Panasonic and Vizio are also not bad choices with Vizio being another brand that I can vouch for. Philips however is a brand to avoid like the plague, and I've never been too keen on Samsung. I say this both based upon working with these TVs and seeing their failure rates in hotels, as well as having to deal with Vendors for support.

$50 HDMI cables (NEVER bite on an expensive HDMI cable - buy them on ebay cheap - same product for 8% of the price), extended warranties, surge surpressors, wall mounts and so on.

Absolutely right on the money! Unless you're running 3D HDMI, or you have a REALLY expensive and fancy Home Theatre that requires you to have Audio Return and Ethernet connectivity in your HDMI cable, you shouldn't be paying over $10 for an HDMI cable.

This is the exact same cable that I use at home, and used to use in all of the hotels. It's HDMI 1.3b certified and works great!
http://www.frys.com/product/5976134

And if you do need a 1.4 Certified HDMI cable, you can have them for less than $20 from Fry's. You've probably figured it out by now, but Monster Cable is a complete & total waste of money. It does NOT give you any sort of a better picture or improved sound quality. As a certified Head End technician for CATV & MATV systems, I can assure you that Monster Cable is NEVER used by any Cable or Satellite provider in their networks. Whenever I built or retrofitted a rack and needed Audio Cable Jumpers, we just used RCA-to-F connectors fitted to the same RG-6 Cables you find in your house. Monster Cable offers no benefit whatsoever to any consumer out there. If you must use zip ties, just remember to keep them at a minimum 12" apart, and don't bend the cables in order to maintain their internal shielding and to avoid reflections.

Spittybug
12-16-2011, 10:23 AM
DMCVegas, I got these when I bought my previously mentioned 3D TV: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05740902000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8#desc I didn't pay that price (lower), but just wondering if you had any experience with this brand. It claims a 10.2gbps rate. Is that sufficient for all the data transfer needs? Thanks!

jmettee
12-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I hate to do this, but some people need a wake up call in life.

Is this not the same guy that could not put gas in his Mustang or buy 1 replacement tire about 2 months ago. He sold belongings for cash to travel for some military orders, that have changed. Now he "needs" a 60" TV for his X-box. Some people just don't know how to manage money. There are other necessities in life that aren't TV's & video games, especially when you don't have a job.

It's your money, Roman Legion, but I highly recommend you visit a bank & learn how to squirrel away some money & what saving money means as opposed to immediate gratification/poor monetary decisions. Banks have people that help you learn...for FREE. After you get a job, then you can purchase luxuries. Plunking down >$1000 on a TV is a poor decision when you couldn't afford a few gallons of gas & a tire a few weeks ago.

dmc6960
12-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Plunking down >$1000 on a TV is a poor decision when you couldn't afford a few gallons of gas & a tire a few weeks ago.

http://womenfindingmen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Man-clapping.gif

stevedmc
12-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Buy the biggest cheapest TV you can find and put a Roku device on it.

SamHill
12-16-2011, 02:08 PM
...Now he "needs" a 60" TV for his X-box...

1. A Rowhouse in Georgetown
2. Nonaddictive, legal version oxycodone
3. A baked chicken in one hand and a bottle of jim beam in the other
4. Peen enlargement
5. Hair replacement
6. Madaleine Stowe nekkid (She's been famous 20 years and she's middle aged! When will I get over her!)
7. $10,000 monthly check from a family trust
8. Private Chef
9. Private Plane
10. Taser Prongs that shoot out of my fingertips

I need all these things and I need them now.

Mike C.
12-16-2011, 02:29 PM
I hate to do this, but some people need a wake up call in life.

Is this not the same guy that could not put gas in his Mustang or buy 1 replacement tire about 2 months ago. He sold belongings for cash to travel for some military orders, that have changed. Now he "needs" a 60" TV for his X-box. Some people just don't know how to manage money. There are other necessities in life that aren't TV's & video games, especially when you don't have a job.

It's your money, Roman Legion, but I highly recommend you visit a bank & learn how to squirrel away some money & what saving money means as opposed to immediate gratification/poor monetary decisions. Banks have people that help you learn...for FREE. After you get a job, then you can purchase luxuries. Plunking down >$1000 on a TV is a poor decision when you couldn't afford a few gallons of gas & a tire a few weeks ago.

Was wondering that too. I remember that can't get an oil change, put gas in, etc... thread a while back.

stevedmc
12-16-2011, 02:34 PM
7. $10,000 monthly check from a family trust

JoeyGoody could probably help with the monetary needs.

Mike C.
12-16-2011, 02:39 PM
JoeyGoody could probably help with the monetary needs.

That name is like Beetlejuice... if you say it too many times, it might come back to sue us for discrimination against the 'handicapped'...

stevedmc
12-16-2011, 03:29 PM
That name is like Beetlejuice... if you say it too many times, it might come back to sue us for discrimination against the 'handicapped'...

Wouldn't the forum have to crash in order for him to come back?

Roman Legion
12-16-2011, 04:08 PM
I know I'm pathetic.. But I have nothing else in life that I enjoy and the xbox is one. I got my last pay from the brief time I was on active duty for mobilization and I sold stuff like my TV that I want again. I could date, but nobody wants to; I could do a lot of things, I know.. But xbox is the one thing keeping me sane right now.. That and my guitar, I would never sell my guitar.. Even though I play badly..lol

stevedmc
12-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah. Quit talking bad about the poor guy.

Buying a Delorean was the worst financial decision I ever made in my life, and I still love the car and am happy. I don't see anyone on here talking bad about me for it. People talk bad about me yes, but thats because I'm a moron, not because I bought a silly little plastic car.

jmettee
12-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah. Quit talking bad about the poor guy.

Buying a Delorean was the worst financial decision I ever made in my life, and I still love the car and am happy. I don't see anyone on here talking bad about me for it. People talk bad about me yes, but thats because I'm a moron, not because I bought a silly little plastic car.

Not talking bad really, just saying it's one of the dumbest things he could do at current time based on the situation 2 months ago. Priority 1 should be maintaining the money he does have currently not in his pocket....not squandering it on a TV. Also, putting time into a job search instead of playing video games on an oversized/expensive TV with no money left in your pocket, & not being able to put fuel in your car will be the outcome otherwise.

It's all about want vs. need. Wallowing in self pity is not really helped by simply playing video games.

stevedmc
12-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Not talking bad really, just saying it's one of the dumbest things he could do at current time based on the situation 2 months ago. Priority 1 should be maintaining the money he does have currently not in his pocket....not squandering it on a TV. Also, putting time into a job search instead of playing video games on an oversized/expensive TV with no money left in your pocket, & not being able to put fuel in your car will be the outcome otherwise.

It's all about want vs. need. Wallowing in self pity is not really helped by simply playing video games.

Maybe he is a Democrat.

Mike C.
12-16-2011, 05:22 PM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1256-Changing-the-06-GT-s-fuel-filter

Im sorry, I completely agree with jmettee.... I mean, this was just back in August.

A freaking big screen TV would be last on my list. Go get tools. With tools you can build, fix, etc... and get yourself into some kind of income.

Put your money into savings. Go on Craigslist, but yourself a 27" CRT TV for 50 bucks and play your games. You DEFINITELY cannot afford a TV if you couldn't afford a fuel filter for a mustang...

When you post things like:

I tried the parking lot thing already, failed miserably as people suck! Yet again, I have a Negative bank balance (Definition of Negative - Consisting in or characterized by the absence rather than the presence of distinguishing features.) and my car is just about on fumes. (Definition of running on fumes - Describing a car or other form of transport that is running very low on fuel.) I cannot spend money that does not exist to buy anything.. Even with the intention of returning it immediately after; for that plan to work I would have to get it on special five finger discount.

It shows you do not need a TV. You need a plan. You need structure. You really should be getting your priorities in order. Video games really should not be your priority. Save your money. If you spend it on a bad idea purchase like a TV, when your car needs tires (your ONLY CAR that you DEPEND on) and can't afford them, then can't get to work, what good is that TV going to do you? TV's and sitting home playing video games don't help build income.

Im not trying to be a dick, but honestly, you were complaining how you were in the negative and how no one would throw you a bone to help you out with the fuel filter... now you suddenly have disposable income you should be saving for a rainy day.

stevedmc
12-16-2011, 05:27 PM
you were complaining how you were in the negative and how no one would throw you a bone to help you out with the fuel filter... now you suddenly have disposable income you should be saving for a rainy day.

I think he should team up with Joey.

Roman Legion
12-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Maybe he is a Democrat.

Politically apathetic, frell politics; thank you very much.. Also, how does politics pertain to my OP?

I think he should team up with Joey.

What the hell are you talking about? Forget my finances and look at my original frelling question and stop going offtopic, including the Admin posting here, really?

Ron
12-16-2011, 06:27 PM
People talk bad about me yes, but thats because I'm a moron...

Maybe he is a Democrat.

No you're not a moron... ;-)

opethmike
12-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Here's a video review of a great TV to consider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

stevedmc
12-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Politically apathetic, frell politics; thank you very much.. Also, how does politics pertain to my OP?

I just like to stir the pot. Did I do a good job?

dvonk
12-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Here's a video review of a great TV to consider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

haha, i cant believe you just did that... :lol:

Mike C.
12-17-2011, 12:22 AM
...What the hell are you talking about? Forget my finances and look at my original frelling question and stop going offtopic, including the Admin posting here, really?

Perk of the job + relevant history of you whining 4 months ago that no one would throw you a bone to help you fix your mustang when you are so broke and in a negative balance, and don't own basic hand tools necessary to change a fuel filter + now you want to spend 900 bucks on an outdated TV = yep, adimin posting here, because I can do that...

But since you insist your finances are in order and you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, Dont waste ur time with a DLP. It's dying technology. As stated before, save ur money.

DMCVegas
12-17-2011, 12:57 AM
DMCVegas, I got these when I bought my previously mentioned 3D TV: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05740902000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8#desc I didn't pay that price (lower), but just wondering if you had any experience with this brand. It claims a 10.2gbps rate. Is that sufficient for all the data transfer needs? Thanks!

I honestly don't know anything about that brand, but it'll probably work just fine. That looks like a V1.4 HDMI, but you'd really want to inspect the package to see what HDMI standards the cable meets if you actually need one.

As an example, a raw HD 1080p feed is about 52Mbps (Cable and Satellite Feeds are compressed via MPEG2 typically for transmission purposes). 3D TV requires more bandwidth of course for the signal, and the Ethernet feed is really more about future expansion. The 10Gbps that cables like this provide are designed for more advanced Home Theaters where everything just requires a single cable to interconnect all of your devices. I.e. HDMI sends the Audio and Video feed to the TV on a regular setup. But with the dawn of new devices, your HDMI cable can provide the HD feed to the TV, your TV then decompresses the signal, and can then pump the audio back through the same cable to the Surround Sound system to eliminate separate RCA return cables. It can also run Ethernet if you choose to run Applications that are embedded in your TV such as Netflix, vudu, Hulu, etc., and once again eliminates another cord. Unless you're running all of this, just a regular V1.3 cable is good enough. But planning ahead to buy things doesn't hurt at all either.

On a related note, unless you get some sort of insane deal I'd wait until next summer to buy any big TVs. Both for reasons of price, as well as function. From what I've seen inside the cable industry, as well as what I've been reading about with TV manufacturing, things are going to radically change within the next 2 years.

TTait
12-18-2011, 03:57 AM

I like the Sharp...

BTW - I think Dish Changed over to mpeg4 a number of years back.

Anyway... I'd personally get the TV asap = your better off playing games than spending time on forums where even the moderators don't worry about enforcing the rules...

stevedmc
12-18-2011, 02:32 PM
You really are better of with the tv than a fancy car.

I recommend getting the biggest tv you can afford and the most expensive package Directv has to offer. Add a Roku player with a Netflix subscription and you should be good to go. This shouldn't cost you more than a hundred or so bucks a month. Buy a Ford Pinto to get to work and you will be set.

In my opinion, spending $100 a month for television makes much more sense than the thousands of dollars us crazy people spend on Deloreans.

You will save a lot of money and will never go anywhere if you stay inside watching TV.

DMCVegas
12-19-2011, 12:25 AM
BTW - I think Dish Changed over to mpeg4 a number of years back.

In a situation like that where the customers are paying for the equipment, that would make sense. Most cable companies that use those old Scientific Atlanta boxes are stuck with MPEG2 because it uses a hardware decoder instead of a software one, so there's no way to upgrade the box. Plus since the economy tanked, cable operators took a bath on those boxes when people had foreclosed houses, and just threw away the boxes, or even stripped the DVRs out for the hard drive. A single HD DVR can cost as much at $800. But if someone doesn't care about walking away from hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt on a foreclosed house, nor the damage to their credit, a couple of cable boxes aren't going to matter to them. That was the thing that finally made lots of cable operators say rethink the whole box rental strategy and consider customers owning their own equipment such as Cable Cards.

You will save a lot of money and will never go anywhere if you stay inside watching TV.

Yeah, but who wants that? Life is one big great adventure if you just take the time to live it. Much like your GPA from high school, no one gives a shit about your high scores from video games, and neither will ever truly help you achieve much of anything.

Honestly, screw the TV, sell the X-Box, and take some time to figure out who you are by getting to know you rather than numbing yourself to life by submersing yourself into fantasy. That's truly an escapism that is no different than alcohol or drug abuse since you're abusing it simply to achieve the same goal.

Roman Legion
12-19-2011, 04:23 AM
You really are better of with the tv than a fancy car.

I recommend getting the biggest tv you can afford and the most expensive package Directv has to offer. Add a Roku player with a Netflix subscription and you should be good to go. This shouldn't cost you more than a hundred or so bucks a month. Buy a Ford Pinto to get to work and you will be set.

In my opinion, spending $100 a month for television makes much more sense than the thousands of dollars us crazy people spend on Deloreans.

I don't watch TV, just use it for xbox and hooking my computer up to.

Yeah, but who wants that? Life is one big great adventure if you just take the time to live it. Much like your GPA from high school, no one gives a shit about your high scores from video games, and neither will ever truly help you achieve much of anything.

Honestly, screw the TV, sell the X-Box, and take some time to figure out who you are by getting to know you rather than numbing yourself to life by submersing yourself into fantasy. That's truly an escapism that is no different than alcohol or drug abuse since you're abusing it simply to achieve the same goal.

Truthfully, that makes a lot of sense and I never thought of gaming as an addiction before.. But I would not know where to start.. I was in college before this whole being deployed crap started, but I never really found what I wanted to do.. I considered engineering, but I don't know.. To be honest, I do think of myself as a major failure, which is likely why I 'abuse' video games as an escape. I would try to change it, but I have no idea how, I have been playing video games since I was a kid.. Even more in high school.. When I was attending college, I barely balanced school work and video games, actually I slacked off quite a bit, not because the material was hard, but because I was constantly thinking of the game. There is just something gratifying about video games..

Ron
12-19-2011, 10:06 AM
+1 Vegas!

I would try to change it, but I have no idea how...View/realise that life is a cool 'game' (of sorts), with much much more than just video and sound!
CHEAT: Everyone starts off in a different position with a random set of tools. There are a set of constantly changing rules, which, depending on the player, have varying penalties. But thats ok because there can be many winners since you get to pick your own goals (the shorter your end of the stick, the sweeter success will be!) Thing is, you have to keep in mind that, although you can regroup when you screw up, you must choose goals wisely as you can only play once and a hidden timer is running...

You are a gamer and already playing, dude -- so kick it's ass!

stevedmc
12-19-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't watch TV, just use it for xbox and hooking my computer up to.

If you are poor you really should start watching TV. Its a much cheaper hobby.

stevedmc
12-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Thats why I don't watch TV, play video games, and rarely go to the movies. I think I've been to the movies once in the last year. Frankly, I would rather spend $1,000 on a plane ticket than $10 on a movie ticket.

DMCVegas
12-20-2011, 03:12 AM
Truthfully, that makes a lot of sense and I never thought of gaming as an addiction before.. But I would not know where to start.. I was in college before this whole being deployed crap started, but I never really found what I wanted to do.. I considered engineering, but I don't know.. To be honest, I do think of myself as a major failure, which is likely why I 'abuse' video games as an escape. I would try to change it, but I have no idea how, I have been playing video games since I was a kid.. Even more in high school.. When I was attending college, I barely balanced school work and video games, actually I slacked off quite a bit, not because the material was hard, but because I was constantly thinking of the game. There is just something gratifying about video games..

Video games are quite gratifying, but that's because they're designed to be. I missed out on allot in high school because of video games, specifically dating and personal relationships, and in turn life itself. I remember the first night I had my car. I just laid there in bed and both reveled and loathed the first true adult freedom that I had! I could go anywhere and any time! But I had nowhere to go, and just laid there. So sad. Plus I've been in the same situation as you for the most part: What do I do with my life? I had plenty of ambition, and did knew that like everyone had always told me since I was a kid that if I put my mind to something I could do it no matter what the task was. But I had no idea what I wanted to do.

Speaking from experience, the first thing to do about the video games is to simply find another passion to replace them. But in order to do that, you're gonna need a motivation for your life to help force it along.

Some things to consider if I were you:
1. Become a man by embracing the 2 biggest things of all that truly make a man a man: Freedom and Responsibility. The "End of Innocence" does NOT mean the "Inheritance of Guilt". The awesome thing about being an adult is the risks are certainly greater, but the rewards are even better! In other words you don't have to stop having fun, because there are better, more adult ways to have fun! Biggest example is this TV. What would you rather do? Invest money in a TV and Gaming Console so you can play Forza and pretend to drive cars? Or would you rather take the time to invest in yourself and drive the real deal?

If you've never seen it, I highly recommend this movie:
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc1ODg1NTMxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTg4Njk4._V1._ SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

The first time you'll wonder what you just saw and it'll be the stupidest film ever. Give it a day and come back to it, and suddenly it all clicks! But you've got to watch it twice. Just watching it for Tyler Durden's speech on Consumerism makes it worth your time though, and I feel that it's quite appropriate here. Who truly gives a shit about the specs on your TV? The things you own end up owning you.

2. If you're looking for some direction in life, the best thing to do is stop and focus on yourself. Take time off from the distractions of video games, partying, and other socially competitive bullshit.

You're not dead yet, so you're not a failure. Sure, you might be getting a late start if you're just now stopping to realize your priorities, but so what? It's like my wife always said of her parents: "They never grew up, the just grew older." But if you make the change now, that's the first step if keeping that from happening to you.

3. First thing for you while you figure out what to do with your life is to get your priorities straight. Long term goal: Financial Stability: Short Term Goal: Figuring out how to make that happen. If nothing else, compare life to a video game. You need to look at your bank account as a score. Keep that shit as high as possible. Buying unnecessary crap makes you take a hit. Along with that learn how to live within your means and make your ability to save money and exercise self control a sense of pride. Your friend just bought a 65" TV? Don't envy them, and don't go out and buy a 65" to keep up or 70" to outdo them. Instead look down on them for being so damn stupid for buying something they truly can't afford. Take pride in saving money!!!

Likewise now you need money, and you like cars. Great. I would seriously challenge you to do like I do and start flipping cars on the side. Record some episodes of PowerBlock & Wheeler Dealers, and invest your money in some good tools. Then start saving up for cars. If you can remember hidden powerups, techniques, and useless trivia about video games, there is no reason at all why your ass shouldn't be able to look at a car and know what it's badge-engineered cousins are, let along what parts and interchangeable, or especially it's average resale value. Do this and start gaining your mechanical skills, and fattening your wallet.

4. As you explore new things, get yourself on track, and most importantly get to finally know yourself, you'll figure out what your life ambitions are. That will always come along later. After all, no matter what you're gonna do in life you're gonna need money and the skills to keep it, so why not learn that now? Chance after all does favor the prepared.

But most importantly, you're never gonna figure out what you wanna do with your life if you never take the time to explore and find out what things you CAN do with it.

Jonathan
12-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Roman,

Ok, so you like video games. Cool. We also know that everyone on here needs a way to make a living, including me and including you. Maybe you could consider starting some sort of career doing something with video games? We've all seen comments about doing something you love instead of a job you hate, or doing something you're passionate about even if it pays less than a job you don't like. If video games are a big priority for you, then lets go with it!

I bet you have some pretty serious opinions and experiences with many many games? Who better than to write game reviews? You could consider trying to contact some of the big websites or magazines who do write ups on games and see what it would take to get on their payroll. Can't hurt to ask, right?

Or, do you have any interest in the programming side? How are you with computer software? You mentioned engineering, so I bet you can handle most of the technical subjects. Perhaps there are some college courses near you that you could take to get in the door with one of the software development companies?

Just some ideas here, but I know there are many more successful people in life that pursued something they loved doing, rather than plugging away at a line of work they hate.

I don't accept you saying you're a major failure. There is no absolute measure of who is successful in life, and it is different for every one of us. And no one other than you has walked in your shoes, so don't let what others have make you think they are successful and you aren't. Every one of us starts life in slightly different situations... so you can't try to compare yourself to someone who started the game of life already up by 50 points with only 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Certainly not if compared to someone who started the game way back in the pre-season :)

Have a happy holiday season and good luck in the new year :)