PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a motorcycle?

stevedmc
12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
I have been having trouble with my Geo Metro lately and am thinking of replacing it with a motorcycle. I want a motorcycle because I think it will be fun and low cost.

The one I am thinking about getting is a Kawasaki Ninja 250R. It gets 60 mpg, has excellent reviews for a beginner bike, and the MSRP is only $4000
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=505

I guess my question is should I live my life and get a bike, or should I worry about dying and not get one? Some people seem to like the idea of me dying, other people don't.

sean
12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Since there was no: "Do whatever the hell you want its your life why are you always asking us to decide things for you" option I chose "Yeah, enjoy your life and have some fun!".

Good luck!

Dangermouse
12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
I voted "NO" as I wish to control your thoughts and actions :yoda:

thirdmanj
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Not until after you put me on your last will and testament as the beneficiary of your DeLorean. :histerical1:

Motorcycls are a fun trip, but I highly recommend the safety courses be taken first, and not with your own bike, that way you'll be more inclined to DO the course and not worried if you "put in down" in training.

Dracula
12-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I've been riding a motorcycle for about 5 years now and I have to say that it's an incredible experience. If you're constantly observing your surroundings and not doing stupid things, then the fun is worth the risk.

Farrar
12-22-2011, 01:56 PM
We're missing the point, which is:

Is the motorcycle carbureted?

:devil:

Farrar

stevedmc
12-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Yep. The Ninja 250R is carbureted.

sean
12-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Yep. The Ninja 250R is carbureted.

Martyr Approved! Run with it.

Farrar
12-22-2011, 02:03 PM

Yep.

Martyr Approved!

Bingo. Buy a set of small screwdrivers and go for it.

Farrar

stevedmc
12-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Martyr Approved! Run with it.

I wish I could get Bill to vote on the forum.

SamHill
12-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Yes, and get tired of freezing your ass off and being surrounded by living-and-breathing-rolling-stupid and get it out of your system.

Michael
12-22-2011, 04:08 PM
A 250R? You will be sick of it within a month....sooner if a chick pulls up beside you on a 600.

stevedmc
12-22-2011, 04:27 PM
A 250R? You will be sick of it within a month....sooner if a chick pulls up beside you on a 600.

It can't be any worse than when a chick pulls up beside me when I'm sporting the Geo Metro.

qwerk
12-22-2011, 04:58 PM
I've been riding a motorcycle for about 5 years now and I have to say that it's an incredible experience.

Chad on a motorcycle in a three piece suit with a cape. Now that I want to see.

dvonk
12-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Chad on a motorcycle in a three piece suit with a cape. Now that I want to see.

+1, badass! :headbang:

12-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I just bought a scooter a few weeks ago and enjoy it very much. I ride it to and from work 6 miles 1 way. I save money on fuel, wear and tear, time on parking (looking for a full size space) and have some fun while doing so.

Yes you can be putting yourself in harms way, drive defensivly, assume that others can't see you and when they do see you it's the large target on your back that they are gunning for and you'll be fine.

For what it's worth my scoot is a 2009 Kymco people 200s, bought it used for $1,600. It tops out arouond 55 mph so it's great for city driving and some secondary roads, I can hit a short stretch of truck rt. highway if needed.

It's not you I worry about, it's the fool on the cell phone texting his/her friend! Be carful and enjoy!

stevedmc
12-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the advise and comments everyone. I have a little bit of bad news though. I fixed the Geo Metro tonight so I no longer "need" a motorcycle. The Geo Metro ended up just having a loose vacuum line. I put the line back on the manifold, and everything is fine again.

I do still want a bike though. But now I'm in no rush.

Michael
12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Well if you come across one of these, in this this color scheme and a 1200(not the 900 size), let me know. I have been looking for one for the past few months and I hope to find one well before spring.

http://krang.sportrider.com/bikes/2004/2004-buell-xb12r-d1-1.jpg

jackb
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Riding is a blast, I stated in 2001, been hooked since. YOu are definitely on the right track of starting on a smaller bike, like a Ninja or Rebel 250, Suzuki LS650, or at most a Nighthawk 750.

Remember cc isn't the main factor on bikes - a CBR600 will whoop a CB750, 150cc be damned. Do NOT start on a high performance racing bike. They are very unforgiving and you will either wreck, or have a close enough call that you will probably scare yourself and give up before you hurt yourself.

Will you outgrow a Ninja/Rebel 250 or LS650? Absolutely, but they are called beginners bikes for a reason. You'll be a better rider in the end and enjoy it more if you start off easy. So begin on a beginners bike, then trade up to a medium one, and if your crazy enough and convinced you can outperform the bike, then continue to step up. They are easy to sell because they are are cheap, easy to work on, and people are always entering motorcycling and in the market for that kind of bike.

I will be the first person to admit the Nighthawk 750 can outperform me. 99% of the bikes out there outperform their riders. Don't let your ego (or peer pressure) write a check your skills can't cash and start off on a liter-bike or anything along those lines.

Michael
12-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Riding is a blast, I stated in 2001, been hooked since. YOu are definitely on the right track of starting on a smaller bike, like a Ninja or Rebel 250, Suzuki LS650, or at most a Nighthawk 750.

Remember cc isn't the main factor on bikes - a CBR600 will whoop a CB750, 150cc be damned. Do NOT start on a high performance racing bike. They are very unforgiving and you will either wreck, or have a close enough call that you will probably scare yourself and give up before you hurt yourself.

Will you outgrow a Ninja/Rebel 250 or LS650? Absolutely, but they are called beginners bikes for a reason. You'll be a better rider in the end and enjoy it more if you start off easy. So begin on a beginners bike, then trade up to a medium one, and if your crazy enough and convinced you can outperform the bike, then continue to step up. They are easy to sell because they are are cheap, easy to work on, and people are always entering motorcycling and in the market for that kind of bike.

I will be the first person to admit the Nighthawk 750 can outperform me. 99% of the bikes out there outperform their riders. Don't let your ego (or peer pressure) write a check your skills can't cash and start off on a liter-bike or anything along those lines.

I personally think a 250R will kill you just as easily as a 600, and as far as performance goes, if you don't have the restraint to stay out of the throttle, then you don't need to be on either.
I wasn't advocating get a medium sized bike because of displacement, I advocated a 600 class because it's not a powerhouse(unless you go for a RR or R6) and you will not want to trade it in 3 weeks. A Suzuki SV650 for example or similiar de-tuned 600 is a great beginner bike.

My first ride was a CBR600, after 30k miles, I traded for a newer 600 and put almost 30 on it as well. I then traded for a '03 VFR800 which was my last bike. The only reason I got it rather than another CBR600 was I wanted something for 2-up sport-touring. I always said you just can't beat a 600 class bike for all around sport riding. I took my CBR's on many of 1000+ mile road trips, several trips to Myrtle, the Outer Banks, once to Panama City. A good looking sport bike, a full backpack, and a few friends would just make for an awesome couple of days on the road....and you just can't do that with a 250. Well you can but you would be miserable.

It's a dead horse here, he already said he was out of the market. I sold my VFR a few months before I got my Delorean because I just didn't ride it enough to justify keeping it. In 3 years I never missed it until last fall, and I want something different now. I never thought I would want a Harley powered anything, but that Buell looks pretty sweet.

jackb
12-22-2011, 11:05 PM
stevedmc didn't say he was out of the market, just that he's not in a rush.
Oh and absolutely a 250 will kill you quick. I definitely almost died a few times learning on a single cylinder 650. I wasn't referring to top speed/performance (I believe it's a non issue since even beginner bikes can perform beyond the abilities of most riders), I was referring to learning the finer point of throttle control- a CBR or RR type bike allows a much smaller margin of error than a 250. You're right though, all require restraint.

dvonk
12-23-2011, 12:27 AM
ive always wanted a motorcycle, but id go for a "cruiser" instead of a "rice rocket."

anyone here ride one?

Dracula
12-23-2011, 12:37 AM
ive always wanted a motorcycle, but id go for a "cruiser" instead of a "rice rocket."

anyone here ride one?

Mine's an '82 Harley FXRS. Wonderful bike and very pleasant to ride.

dvonk
12-23-2011, 12:41 AM
i just googled 1982 Harley FXRS... definitely something i would consider getting.

stevedmc
12-23-2011, 10:24 AM
It's a dead horse here, he already said he was out of the market.

Nonsense!

I do still want a bike though. But now I'm in no rush.

louielouie2000
12-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Nonsense!

Get a bike whenever you can! You won't regret it. It's basically all the good aspects of DeLorean ownership without any of the bad. I got rid of my car to save some money (who knows, maybe for another DeLorean), and now my only mode of transportation is a 300cc Vespa. It's got enough power to cruise on the interstate, and to smoke smaller sportbikes & Harleys at stoplights. My Vespa is the most purely fun vehicle I've ever owned, and probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. On top of that it gets ~70mpg too. But more than anything, riding is great. Takes all the grudge out of commuting and running errands. It melts stress away to sweep through curves. It's just awesome. :)

stevedmc
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Just when I thought I wouldn't rush into anything, I found this one on eBay. Its less than an hour from where I work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-Kawasaki-/270877869962?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3f1194478a

My bank approved the loan for a new one. I'm waiting for a call back to see if they can loan me the money for a used one.

stevedmc
12-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Just when I thought I wouldn't rush into anything, I found this one on eBay. Its less than an hour from where I work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-Kawasaki-/270877869962?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3f1194478a

My bank approved the loan for a new one. I'm waiting for a call back to see if they can loan me the money for a used one.

This sucker wanted a $996 dealer fee on top of the eBay price. I won't be doing business with him.

SamHill
12-25-2011, 09:13 AM
On top of that it gets ~70mpg too.

70 miles to the gallon, you say?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnkefjCES-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnkefjCES-4