PDA

View Full Version : Found out something pretty cool (non-ethanol gas)

Chris Burns
12-25-2011, 05:33 PM
I was talking to a guy who puts non-ethanol marine fuel (for outboard motors) in his 79 Ferrari 308 GTB. He said it makes a world of difference. So if you guys see a station that sells non-ethanol fuel, TRY IT OUT!

sean
12-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I was talking to a guy who puts non-ethanol marine fuel (for outboard motors) in his 79 Ferrari 308 GTB. He said it makes a world of difference. So if you guys see a station that sells non-ethanol fuel, TRY IT OUT!

Non-ethanol fuel, isnt that just gas? Sure some of our pumps may contain up to 10% but some dont at all. Not really sure if this one guy you talked to really had anything surprising to say, real gas = better than real gas cut with crap.

stevedmc
12-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Most of the time I purchase 100% gas instead of the ethanol crap. I've seen a drop in mpg as high as 7 mpg when running ethanol.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=LA

Chris Burns
12-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Up until recently nearly every gas station around here has been selling gas with 10 percent ethanol. Now they have started selling pure 100 percent gas for marine engines. Once I heard the story about it being used on a 79 Ferrari, I wondered if it would work on a Delorean.

stevedmc
12-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Once I heard the story about it being used on a 79 Ferrari, I wondered if it would work on a Delorean.

I wouldn't recommend trying Ferrari fuel on a Delorean. It will probably cause something bad to happen.

sean
12-25-2011, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't recommend trying Ferrari fuel on a Delorean. It will probably cause something bad to happen.

True, probably best to stick to that Renault fuel.

Michael
12-25-2011, 08:13 PM
I have been running non ethanol for the past 2 years. Running non-ethanol in older cars that don't get out much is almost a no brainer. Do a Google search on it and read about how moisture and rust love the 10% stuff. The k jet doesn't need any help.

You have to ask yourself one question, how important are name brands? Would you like a Walmart Sam's Choice cola, or a Coca-Cola with 10% pi$$ in it?

pezzonovante88
12-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I always use Shell V-Power which is 91 octane enriched with nitrogen. The sticker on the pumps still say 0% Ethanol, but I've heard rumors that Shell has resumed using ethanol again. Not sure though so I'll have to ask next time I fill up.

DMCTek
12-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Non-Ethanol gasoline has a longer self life. K-Jet does not respond well to stale/old gasoline so Non-ethanol is preferred. It will increase fuel economy and horsepower slightly, flex fuel vehicles get about 10-20% worse mileage on E85 (85% ethanol). It is also better on the seals in the fuel system. I would recommend this fuel if you can get it especially when storing.

Farrar
12-26-2011, 12:41 AM
I use ethanol-free gasoline in both of my vehicles -- I have noticed better fuel economy in my PT Turbo and smoother running in my DeLorean. Costs a few cents more per gallon but well worth it.

Farrar

stevedmc
12-26-2011, 10:03 AM
I always use Shell V-Power which is 91 octane enriched with nitrogen.

Why?

LEVY
12-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Some ethanol plants are closing down, so ethanol gas might be soon replaced by something else, for the better or for the worst!

The biggest oil/gas discovery in USA is being drilled in South Texas, all extra oil has to be used somehow, can not be pumped out and keep in storage for long time, government must find a good use for it.

12-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Be aware, if you are filling up your car or even portable tanks at a marina you may be breaking the law! If I understand it correctly Marina's do not pay the "Road tax" of their fuel, so if you put it in your car tank you are avoiding the "road tax" and thus breaking the law.

It might be a safer bet to fill a few portablr tanks and bring the gas home and fill up in the garage. You'll also pay a premium for Marine fuel just because it's on the water, gas is gas and here in NJ my marine gas has e-10 in it also. Just beware.

DMC3165
12-29-2011, 11:05 PM
If your willing to pony up a few extra bucks You can use CAM 2 Unleaded 100 octane fuel. My D runs great on it. The downside is it's about 9 bucks a gallon.

However I've been told it's not really a good idea to run such a high octane all the time. Because our motors are not really set up for that it will increase carbon deposits over time. But I usually only use it for winter storage. I fill it about half tank when empty and treat it with 4oz of marvel mystery oil. So far this has worked pretty well for me but my car usually only sits in the extreme cold or snowy weather. So it runs at least once a month even in the winter. I'm always itching to drive it.