PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Hub Nut Size

Kevin
12-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi all. I need to remove and probably replace my angle drive, but I don't have a socket large enough to loosen the hub nut, so I need to buy one. I've looked all over for the spec and have seen numbers ranging from 32mm-36mm. Can anyone confirm what the nut size is, or does it actually vary?

Thanks!

Iznodmad
12-27-2011, 05:05 PM
I can't help you with the size, but I know a guy near me that has the correct tool. I guess this means you got your car back from DS. How do you like it?

On a side note, make sure your dust cap has a good square hole and that it doesn't "slip" on the outside diameter. I had the latter problem on #16128.

DMCMW Dave
12-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi all. I need to remove and probably replace my angle drive, but I don't have a socket large enough to loosen the hub nut, so I need to buy one. I've looked all over for the spec and have seen numbers ranging from 32mm-36mm. Can anyone confirm what the nut size is, or does it actually vary?

Thanks!

There are two sizes, 32 and 36. If you want to measure it, 36 is about 1-3/8" and 32 is about 1-1/4"

I just looked at two cars here - a 5000-series was 32 and a 6000 series was 36.

The big one on the angle drive is 1-1/4" (I'm sure it's metric but you need a 1-1/4" open end wrench to get it off).

Kevin
12-27-2011, 05:16 PM
I can't help you with the size, but I know a guy near me that has the correct tool. I guess this means you got your car back from DS. How do you like it?

On a side note, make sure your dust cap has a good square hole and that it doesn't "slip" on the outside diameter. I had the latter problem on #16128.

Yep, got it back and it's been great, Stage II is awesome, now I just have a laundry list of small things like this to fix.

I'm pretty sure it's the angle drive, I chucked the lower speedo cable into a power drill and was able to make the speedo needle move, but it wouldn't move by chucking in the angle drive. So I'm at least going to remove it and see if it's fixable, likely will end up getting a replacement.

Kevin
12-27-2011, 05:17 PM
There are two sizes, 32 and 36. If you want to measure it, 36 is about 1-3/8" and 32 is about 1-1/4"

I just looked at two cars here - a 5000-series was 32 and a 6000 series was 36.

The big one on the angle drive is 1-1/4" (I'm sure it's metric but you need a 1-1/4" open end wrench to get it off).

Thanks a lot, Dave! Just the info I needed.

Mark D
12-27-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't recall ever reading a service bulletin on why the hub nuts changed size... The VIN break somewhere between 5000-6000 that Dave mentioned holds true for my car.

My VIN is 6125 and on the front axles have 36mm outer nuts and 32 mm nuts on inside holding the stub axle in the spindle. The rear outer nuts are 32mm.

Does anyone know the reason for the change? Both types of nuts look like they are distorted thread type self locking.

sdg3205
02-07-2013, 02:14 AM
I was going to take mine apart tonight. My angle drive hub nut is 32 and the passenger side looks to be 36. Weird. I imagine it should not cause any issues other then I have to go back to princess auto for a 36mm socket.

Nicholas R
02-07-2013, 02:54 PM
When I upgraded my brakes last year I remember the front being a 36mm. My car is a relatively early car.

Jonathan
02-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Can anyone confirm what the nut size is, or does it actually vary?

Kevin's question might have been originally on the outside nut (hub nut), but I wanted to mention something on the inside nut (angle drive nut).

Dave... I don't know if I remembered to mention this to you at some point, but the last time I bought a replacement angle drive and got the nut to go with it, I discovered it was just a tiny bit larger outside diameter than 1 1/4". The reason I know this is because the same open ended wrench I have that is 1 1/4" and had been used to loosen or tighten the original nut wouldn't go over this new nut.

At the point where I realized this, I had already put the new nut on the new angle drive and was not prepared to test my patience playing with that snap ring in there trying to get it apart. I ended up using a crescent/adjustable wrench to get it as tight as I could, and otherwise just pleaded with the DeLorean Gods not to let it come loose one day out on the road. It never has come loose and that could be from going about tightening it first and then torquing the outside nut as I think they pull each other together if I'm not mistaken.

Anywho, just wanted to mention that something was of a varying size with that outside diameter of the replacement angle drive nut. Not sure what wrench would have fit over it as the 1 1/4" is the biggest one I own. I might need to make my annual purchase of a new angle drive soon so we'll possibly get another shot at a new nut too :)

DMCMW Dave
02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Kevin's question might have been originally on the outside nut (hub nut), but I wanted to mention something on the inside nut (angle drive nut).

Dave... I don't know if I remembered to mention this to you at some point, but the last time I bought a replacement angle drive and got the nut to go with it, I discovered it was just a tiny bit larger outside diameter than 1 1/4". The reason I know this is because the same open ended wrench I have that is 1 1/4" and had been used to loosen or tighten the original nut wouldn't go over this new nut.

At the point where I realized this, I had already put the new nut on the new angle drive and was not prepared to test my patience playing with that snap ring in there trying to get it apart. I ended up using a crescent/adjustable wrench to get it as tight as I could, and otherwise just pleaded with the DeLorean Gods not to let it come loose one day out on the road. It never has come loose and that could be from going about tightening it first and then torquing the outside nut as I think they pull each other together if I'm not mistaken.

Anywho, just wanted to mention that something was of a varying size with that outside diameter of the replacement angle drive nut. Not sure what wrench would have fit over it as the 1 1/4" is the biggest one I own. I might need to make my annual purchase of a new angle drive soon so we'll possibly get another shot at a new nut too :)

Interesting. I had to go measure one - the new nut is a more tightly manufactured as 32 mm whereas the original was held to a somewhat sloppier dimension. As you noted, my 1-1/4" wrench will not fit the new one but an actual 32MM socket is fine. (But you probably can't use a socket there!)

It is very important to tighten the INNER nut first as that locks the spindle into the taper-lock on the knuckle. If the outer nut is tightened first it is likely that the spindle will not be pulled all the way into the knuckle and Bad Things will happen.

Jonathan
02-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Interesting. I had to go measure one - the new nut is a more tightly manufactured as 32 mm whereas the original was held to a somewhat sloppier dimension. As you noted, my 1-1/4" wrench will not fit the new one but an actual 32MM socket is fine. (But you probably can't use a socket there!)

It is very important to tighten the INNER nut first as that locks the spindle into the taper-lock on the knuckle. If the outer nut is tightened first it is likely that the spindle will not be pulled all the way into the knuckle and Bad Things will happen.

Gotcha. Interesting indeed. If you convert 1 1/4" to metric, I work it out to 31.75 mm. And that 0.25 mm disparity, while not sounding like much, is about what it seems like is in the way of getting that wrench on things. You're right about the 32 mm socket... a little hard to work with on the car versus on the workbench! I'll keep an eye out for a 32 mm open ended wrench the next time I'm through a Canadian Tire. Luckily I'm in the right neck of town to find things stocked in metric :)

Yea, I had remembered that taper aspect to the tightening. I felt that was why mine was tightened okay the way it was because of getting the inside one as tight as you can given the limitations of getting a wrench/socket on it, and then go for the gusto with the one on the outside. I doubt mine is going anywhere as is. Thanks for the reminder.

Mark
01-08-2023, 06:47 AM
For what its worth, I just did my front hub on 10474 and I used a 1-7/16" socket (36mm equivalent) and that worked fine. I did have to use a breaker bar with a pipe on the end of it, and it came loose without drama.