PDA

View Full Version : Suspension New Steering wheel bushing - issue.. wrong size?

Jeff K
01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I put the new steering bushing in my 81 just like I did in my 83. It was purchased from DMC. I took a video so you all can see the play in it. I can easily pop the bushing in and out with my fingers.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Here is a video link

http://youtu.be/z-xr97wu2uA

I’m guessing it’s either

1) The bushing is smaller then supposed to be. I took a caliper to it and the inside diameter (inner lip that mates to the firewall) is 22mm
2) The hole in the Pedal box/firewall is larger them spec. (How would this be fixed? – a lot of black silicone?) Does anyone know the spec diameter of the hole?

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jeff

Bitsyncmaster
01-03-2012, 06:37 AM
I did not have that problem with my bushing from DMCH. I did not cut mine but it looks like you have the wrong bushing or wrong steering shaft.

Jeff K
01-03-2012, 11:04 AM
I did not have that problem with my bushing from DMCH. I did not cut mine but it looks like you have the wrong bushing or wrong steering shaft.

The Steering shaft fits fine in the u-joint assembly. It's got to be the bushing. Weird, maybe they simply gave me the wrong one. Although what else could this be for? Again I did get it from DMC directly.

DMCMW Dave
01-03-2012, 11:13 AM
I've never seen anything like that. I've never seen a "wrong" bushing. Two possibilities:

The bushing is damaged, i.e split laterally;

The hole is way larger than normal, i.e. damaged from operating without a bushing for a long time, or someone grount it out bigger for a different bushing (I have never seen either of these happen).

Jeff K
01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I've never seen anything like that. I've never seen a "wrong" bushing. Two possibilities:

The bushing is damaged, i.e split laterally;

The hole is way larger than normal, i.e. damaged from operating without a bushing for a long time, or someone grount it out bigger for a different bushing (I have never seen either of these happen).

Dave I'm guessing it's the latter. Although I check the opening and it seemed like the black paint was still good on the perimeter of the opening.

I bought this car, the PO was a nice guy, but not knowledgeable. He changed the bushing himself and did not compress it correctly, he just shoved it in. This is a Texas rebuilt car, made in 2005 with 23k after that. The bushing is two months old.

Any suggestions? Will a bunch of black silicone work? The bushing is not torn or worn in any way.

nofear365
01-03-2012, 11:41 AM
How long did you go before changing the original bad bushing?

When Grady changed mine he said that some people so too long and end up inadvertently boring out the hole that the steering shaft goes through.

When mine went bad I attacked it as soon as possible. 0 play in my steering wheel now.

Ron
01-03-2012, 11:46 AM
You first said you put it in, but then the PO changed it and it's two months old...I'm wondering if it was turning with the shaft (mine was too tight) and simply wore the outer part of the bushing away???

Maybe someone can measure the OD of a new one to compare?

Silicone is a bad idea.

Jeff K
01-03-2012, 12:11 PM
I have only put about 300 miles on the car since I have owned it.

The first thing I did was change the steering bushing. The old one was torn and I believe incorrectly installed. The PO said he just pushed it in with his fingers.

I'm guessing the PO reamed out the hole in the pedal box. I can't know for sure until someone measures and posts the proper diameter of a good one.

Either way, how do you fix this? I'd HATE to remove the pedal box and take it to a shop. I was thinking of using a modified fender washer on the other side of the pedal box. Or using aircraft grade epoxy and gluing it in.

Any suggestions?

Bitsyncmaster
01-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Mine was tight but I use silicone to keep the bushing from turning. I was afraid if it turned it would cut the bushing.

Jeff K
01-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Mine was tight but I use silicone to keep the bushing from turning. I was afraid if it turned it would cut the bushing.

I spoke to Danny at DMC in Garden Grove. Yup, the hole is reamed out of the pedal box. The previous owner was such a tool he drove the car a long time with pretty much no bushing.

I thought of using a fender washer on the other side of the pedal box. When I called Danny, he said that’s how he fixes it too. (interesting I came up with the same fix).

They weld it on, I was thinking of riveting it on.

uugghh!

DMC5180
01-03-2012, 03:25 PM
You may need to resort to having a custom one made to compensate for the possibly oversized hole. One of the vendors with a lathe could do it for you. Check with Danny at DMC-CA . Unfortunately you need to remove the one you have now and investigate.

This brings up a question. It's been so long ago since I did mine I don't remember if the bushing snapped into the Pedal box frame Or the fiberglass bulkhead. Although from the picture it appears to be the pedal box frame.

DMCMW Dave
01-03-2012, 05:35 PM
You may need to resort to having a custom one made to compensate for the possibly oversized hole. One of the vendors with a lathe could do it for you. Check with Danny at DMC-CA . Unfortunately you need to remove the one you have now and investigate.

This brings up a question. It's been so long ago since I did mine I don't remember if the bushing snapped into the Pedal box frame Or the fiberglass bulkhead. Although from the picture it appears to be the pedal box frame.

It snaps in to a hole in the steel of the pedal box. Seems a lot easier to weld a washer over the hole rather than make a custom bushing (a couple of posts back).

nofear365
01-03-2012, 09:02 PM
I spoke to Danny at DMC in Garden Grove. Yup, the hole is reamed out of the pedal box. The previous owner was such a tool he drove the car a long time with pretty much no bushing.

I thought of using a fender washer on the other side of the pedal box. When I called Danny, he said that’s how he fixes it too. (interesting I came up with the same fix).

They weld it on, I was thinking of riveting it on.

uugghh!

Had a feeling. Sorry to hear

DMC5180
01-03-2012, 11:17 PM
It snaps in to a hole in the steel of the pedal box. Seems a lot easier to weld a washer over the hole rather than make a custom bushing (a couple of posts back).

I missed the previous post. I guess welding a washer would work then. Seems like pain to have pull the pedal box to do it though. Since I've have not pulled one I have no clue what's involved. Unless they can carefully MIG tack the washer in the car on the visible cabin side.

Jeff K
01-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Here is my solution. I ground a fender washer and I'm going to bolt it to the pedal box tomorrow.

Jeff K
01-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Update: I did the above fix.. It works great! Tight as a drum. This along with my new euro ball joints makes the front end perfect.

Thanks everyone for all the input,
Jeff

Mike C.
01-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Nice! Great job! I'll be sure to archive this thread for others who have the same issue.

DMC5180
01-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Wow, talk about a simple fix. Nice! Did you put nuts on the back side or just sheet metal screws?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=46.838270,-92.201591

Jeff K
01-30-2012, 01:37 AM
Wow, talk about a simple fix. Nice! Did you put nuts on the back side or just sheet metal screws?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=46.838270,-92.201591

I puts nuts on the other side. If I had to do it again (actually I do to another car) , I'll use sheet metal screws.

David T
01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
The washer fix sounds the most reasonable. The only caveat I would add is to be sure you line it up as closely as possible. The hole may not just be enlarged, it may be off-center. Welding is the "best" way to fasten it but you can't do that when the bushing is in it! If you did bolt it I would use Nylock nuts so it can't come loose easily. This is after all, your steering! Do not use sheet metal screws here! The other possibility would be pop rivets.
David Teitelbaum

Jeff K
01-30-2012, 11:38 AM
The washer fix sounds the most reasonable. The only caveat I would add is to be sure you line it up as closely as possible. The hole may not just be enlarged, it may be off-center. Welding is the "best" way to fasten it but you can't do that when the bushing is in it! If you did bolt it I would use Nylock nuts so it can't come loose easily. This is after all, your steering! Do not use sheet metal screws here! The other possibility would be pop rivets.
David Teitelbaum

Good point about the sheet metal screws. I did use locknuts. It's rock solid tight now!