PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Whats the secret to getting the glove box to line up!!!

painterdave72
01-04-2012, 05:37 PM
I have an nos glove box lid and a repro dash..and it still doesnt fit very well! lol..arent the screws that hold the hinges on supposed to go into the glove box and the inside of the dash??? it still seems they dont tighten up very well and the spring for the glove box sucks and makes it line up wrong where the glove box meets the dash so i just took some tension off the spring by bending it the other way.lol. i have yet to see a glove box line up nicely.. how much of a gap is there supposed to be between the top of it and the dash??

Kevin
01-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I've got a new dash and glove box lid as well, installed a couple years ago. Mine doesn't fit perfectly either, here are some photos of mine that will hopefully help.

Bird's eye view through my sand-pitted windshield:

http://i41.tinypic.com/veafwy.jpg

And here's a view of the hinges:

http://i44.tinypic.com/5ehojp.jpg

john 05141
01-05-2012, 04:41 AM
I bought a replacement glove box insert (and did a new reflocking)
Besides that, I had mine out several times for easier access under the dash.
I admit it can be difficult to adjust those in agood way, but it can be done.

You need to install the hinges loosely. You can adjust settings on both sides of the hinges.I start bytightening them in the middle of the hinge part at the lid first. They will determine the position in the opening. The top part of the lid or the part to the kneepad when closed should follow the line of the dashboard.
The hinge in the dash itself determines the hight of the lid.
You need to play with it a little. It takes me 15 min. +/- before the setting is acceptable to good. But just insert the lid and tighten the screws will indeed not do it.
Oh, and make sure the spring is in a good position too, I forgot that once after the position was nearly perect.

John

John

painterdave72
01-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the pics.. mine is about like that now.. but the screws are loose on the left side into the dash part... it seems like i might have drilled the holes a little bit too low and just goes into the actual glove box and not the dash... there doesnt seem to be too much material on the back of the dash to go into though...