PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

mluder
03-23-2012, 01:27 AM
It's true... I'm always gracious with people who are polite.

When they ask if they can take a picture I almost always ask if they want me to take a pic of the next to it. I get the biggest kick when I ask them if they would like me to open the doors.

Their jaws drop and the say, "REALLY?"

"Well yeah... They are designed to open."

Cool story :) For every stupid comment there will be a hundred times where the car makes you an ambassador of joy. Get used to both.... :lol:

Dangermouse
03-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Okay, so this is my first post. Just picked up my DMC-12 the other day… Happy day, right?
Well, yeah, there was a little rain on my parade, when I realized several miles down the road that the alternator was dead. :(
With the help of my friend I managed to push my car into a parking space at a mall I happened to be passing. Of course queue the pavorazzi. And oh yeah, some jock had to tell me how I needed to have 1.21 Gigawatts to get her started (what the hell is a Gigawatt??).
The mall cop actually came along, and offered to give us a ride to NAPA. Initially I thought it was only a bad battery.
I come back only to find a woman in a leopard print skirt eying my car up. I braced myself for another BTTF comment; I was really not having a good day.
I almost said something I would have regretted. Luckily, before I could say anything she simply said. “I love your car! I’m the mall manager on duty, and when I heard the security guard call it over the radio; I had to come see it. May I take a picture?”
My reply, “of course, I can take a picture of you with it if you like. Would you like to sit in it?” We made her day, and she made ours! :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.!

Did you buy one of the couple of cars that was for sale recently in the Augusta/Evans area? Please tell me it is the one with the equalizer in the roof. I really want to see more of that one.

My boss asked me the mileage this morning and when I told him 39000, he replied that the car was more likely to die of old age than wear out :)

Farrar
03-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Okay, so this is my first post. Just picked up my DMC-12 the other day… Happy day, right?

Yes indeed! Welcome to the wild, wide, and wacky world of DeLorean ownership! :)

DeLorean03
03-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Cool story :) For every stupid comment there will be a hundred times where the car makes you an ambassador of joy. Get used to both.... :lol:

You and I either live in completely different universes, or I am far too sensitive to the one "dumbass" comment per 100 awesome comments :P.

sean
03-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Happy indeed! welcome to the cult...I mean club :D

stevedmc
03-23-2012, 03:13 PM

For people like me with no life, its more like "welcome to the family".

whocruiser
03-23-2012, 03:34 PM
I thought the West Coast QA center was set up down in the Los Angles area. Am I wrong?

I believe it was in Irvine, but the mere fact that it was SOMEPLACE in California was probably enough to stick in the storyteller's memory...

DMCMW Dave
03-23-2012, 07:37 PM
I believe it was in Irvine, but the mere fact that it was SOMEPLACE in California was probably enough to stick in the storyteller's memory...

2055 Main St
Irvine, CA 92614

Dracula
03-24-2012, 12:31 AM

Just stay away from the Kool-Aid when the comet is approaching and you'll be fine-ish.

David_NYS
03-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Yes indeed! Welcome to the wild, wide, and wacky world of DeLorean ownership! :)

Thanks for the welcome! I had another Delorean, it was more of a project car, it's good to have one thats actually road worthy!

I consider my first Delorean more of a learning experience. Haha!

For people like me with no life, its more like "welcome to the family".

Thanks! I love the car, and so far, everyone in the Delorean circle seems pretty awesome!

Shout out to The Swingles in Crystal Lake! :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.!

Did you buy one of the couple of cars that was for sale recently in the Augusta/Evans area? Please tell me it is the one with the equalizer in the roof. I really want to see more of that one.

My boss asked me the mileage this morning and when I told him 39000, he replied that the car was more likely to die of old age than wear out :)

No, but I am familiar with that car. Is it still for sale? Grey interior, right?

Mine was acquired up in Syracuse. Since the alternator died, it will be about another week or two before she's ready to drive down here. :blush:

Thank you! :D

SIMid
03-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Was at the mechanics yesterday and had the D running with the engine cover open. This "wank" who works across the road comes over, looks at the engine. "Is it a Volkswagen?" I nearly knocked his lights out.

ccurzio
03-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Just got one of the weirdest questions the other day.

"That a McLaren?"

Kenny_Z
03-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Does anyone else get the "how can you be late? you drive a Delorean." comments? I usually politely laugh or tell them I didn't want to waste the plutonium on them. Depending on my mood at the time.

ccurzio
03-25-2012, 10:36 AM
I've never gotten that. I always get the "(where's the/does it have a) flux capacitor?" and "what happens when you go 88?" comments.

Jonathan
03-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Does anyone else get the "how can you be late? you drive a Delorean." comments? I usually politely laugh or tell them I didn't want to waste the plutonium on them. Depending on my mood at the time.

I was seriously considering getting one of those "back in ___ (so many minutes)" signs, where you can move the hands on the clock to what time you're back. But instead of like the guy at the store at the mall that will be back in an hour after his lunch, I was gonna set it to something in the past. Like if it's noon at a Saturday car show, set it to like 9:00 am or something. Might be too subtle for some of the car show folks to get though ;)

Sidaries
03-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Was at the mechanics yesterday and had the D running with the engine cover open. This "wank" who works across the road comes over, looks at the engine. "Is it a Volkswagen?" I nearly knocked his lights out.

Wow. One of the best I heard. :)

robvanderveer
03-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Guy: Does it really travel in time?
Me: Yes, but only forwards.

mluder
03-25-2012, 12:46 PM
I was seriously considering getting one of those "back in ___ (so many minutes)" signs, where you can move the hands on the clock to what time you're back. But instead of like the guy at the store at the mall that will be back in an hour after his lunch, I was gonna set it to something in the past. Like if it's noon at a Saturday car show, set it to like 9:00 am or something. Might be too subtle for some of the car show folks to get though ;)

I like that idea. With permission I'm gonna steal it.

Steve

Michael
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
If you really want to go overboard with a time travel reply, then read "Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays" By Stephen Hawking. Specifically, there is a speech in this book about time travel. In short, he explains how travel to the past is impossible, but traveling to the future is very possible and relates to speed. Even if you don't get it, just memorize a few paragraphs and keep them on standby to repeat to anyone who has a time travel joke....then watch them try to come up with an intelligent response. This plan does have a small degree of risk... you may be talking to a astrophysicist who will no doubt think he has found someone to share ideas with.

It's such an old book, I bet there is a pdf out there for free.

pezzonovante88
03-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Just got one of the weirdest questions the other day.

"That a McLaren?"

"Yes, yes it is."

Jonathan
03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
I like that idea. With permission I'm gonna steal it.

Steve

Absolutely!! Let me know if you get any funny reactions to it! :)

awildermode
04-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Not a comment, but certainly stupid...on my part.

The other day, I was driving my Civic. Some guy cuts me off, so I go and honk at him. Re-phrase: I tried to honk at him. I ended up flashing him with my high beams...I was trying to sound the horn at the stem. I forgot that the horn was located in the 'normal spot' (center of wheel). :facepalm:

While we are at it, here are some things I usually forget when driving my Civic

- I always forget where the parking break is on my other car.
- Forget where the window switches are
- Press the wrong area for seatbelt release
- It also feels like I am driving a mini van compared the to DeLorean

:facepalm:

Michael
04-04-2012, 03:22 PM

The other day, I was driving my Civic. Some guy cuts me off, so I go and honk at him. Re-phrase: I tried to honk at him. I ended up flashing him with my high beams...I was trying to sound the horn at the stem. I forgot that the horn was located in the 'normal spot' (center of wheel). :facepalm:

At least you don't duck when you get out of your daily driver :lol:

Cory W
04-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Try going from a DeLorean to an actual minivan......then you feel like you're driving a bus!

I've also done most if not all of the thing you posted. I look for the parking brake near the door on my Saturn, and often find myself trying to clutch in the van. that works poorly :)

dvonk
04-04-2012, 11:02 PM
I [...] find myself trying to clutch in the van. that works poorly :)

my ex girlfriend and i both drove Hyundai Elantras at one point, mine a manual, hers an auto. when i would get in hers i would accidentally stomp the break while searching for the clutch pedal that wasnt there.

"oops, sorry..." :blush:

rundmc
04-05-2012, 01:25 PM
I've stomped the floor more than once with my left foot in my GF's automatic Challenger.

sadeeky
04-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I've never gotten that. I always get the "(where's the/does it have a) flux capacitor?" and "what happens when you go 88?" comments.

When someone ask what happens when you go 88 mph tell them you'll get a speeding ticket

ccurzio
04-05-2012, 02:18 PM
When someone ask what happens when you go 88 mph tell them you'll get a speeding ticket

I already do.

sadeeky
04-05-2012, 03:14 PM
My favorite one is "What car company makes Delorean?"

Chris Burns
04-05-2012, 03:30 PM
"Where does the garbage go?", " there can't be many Deloreans left, most were destroyed in BTTF".

I just roll my eyes. :screwy:

ydjk58
04-05-2012, 05:05 PM
I haven't had as many stupid comments on mine lately since I've had it out the last month, people have kinda gotten used to seeing it. But I do have a few to share. The first 2 happened all in one night, first, some guy puts a note on my windshield wanting me to sell it to him, then later in the evening, some guy justs helps himself to opening the door and wants to have a seat in it, needless to say I cussed him out and he got offended when I yelled at him. Then last week I went out to my car after work to go home, and some guy is petting it, not just touching it, literally petting it. Talk about creepy. Oh well, bring on round 2, car show season is coming up.

pezzonovante88
04-05-2012, 07:40 PM
I haven't had as many stupid comments on mine lately since I've had it out the last month, people have kinda gotten used to seeing it. But I do have a few to share. The first 2 happened all in one night, first, some guy puts a note on my windshield wanting me to sell it to him, then later in the evening, some guy justs helps himself to opening the door and wants to have a seat in it, needless to say I cussed him out and he got offended when I yelled at him. Then last week I went out to my car after work to go home, and some guy is petting it, not just touching it, literally petting it. Talk about creepy. Oh well, bring on round 2, car show season is coming up.

What the hell. You can't just open some random person's car up with no permission. What's wrong with people? lol

Dracula
04-05-2012, 09:56 PM
What the hell. You can't just open some random person's car up with no permission. What's wrong with people? lol

The DeLorean draws the most "WTF" behavior of any car I've ever known. I know the what, but the why eludes me. Without the function that drives it, I cannot correct the form of this behavior.

Stainless
06-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Has it really been two months since a stupid DeLorean comment has been posted? This is prime season for these.

Went to the biggest local car show of the year last Friday. First time that I had taken the DeLorean. It was an overall very pleasant experience. Some people tried, but butchered some BTTF references. Two examples:
1. "76 miles per hour!"
2. "100,000 jigawatts!"

I'd probably have more, but I sat far away in the shade for the first couple of hours of the show and couldn't hear people talking that were looking at the car.

Fox2506
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
These are my most common recently:

"is that a kit car?"

"how did you get the paint to look like that?"

"oh F**K" - (very loud) this was yesterday as I was walking back from Subway. I took a detour to wait them out.

"you need to put rims on that" :angry:

"you know that guy was a..:boxface:"

jawn101
06-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I didn't used to get them, but I've had a whole ton of people insisting it has a Chevy engine lately. I still don't know the genesis of that particular bit of persistent misinformation.

thirdmanj
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
I didn't used to get them, but I've had a whole ton of people insisting it has a Chevy engine lately. I still don't know the genesis of that particular bit of persistent misinformation.

Maybe the people knew that DeLorean designed an engine while at Pontiac and cross the wires with JZD starting his own company?

stevedmc
06-04-2012, 05:46 PM
A nice old guy at church asked me the other day, "Did you put those doors on yourself?"

sdg3205
06-04-2012, 06:07 PM
"What's a Canadian car doing at a British car show?"

Soundkillr
06-04-2012, 07:09 PM
how do you do?

Not to derail a thread, but whats up with these stupid posts? We had another one in a sedoc forum before it was deleted, is this some sort of bot, and if so whats the point? Ban him! :)

Notifier
06-04-2012, 07:20 PM
A nice old guy at church asked me the other day, "Did you put those doors on yourself?"

I had some kid ask me at the post office "How much did it cost you to have those doors installed?"

I couldn't think of a good smart @ss reply...

DeLorean03
06-04-2012, 07:35 PM
I had some kid ask me at the post office "How much did it cost you to have those doors installed?"

This is what I would say (and have said):

"Nothing because those doors are factory installed."

Shuts them down real fast :).

mluder
06-04-2012, 07:39 PM

I too have had the "Who did the doors?" or "Where'd you get those doors done?"

I usually tell them they were done in Belfast, N. Ireland.

That usually confuses the hell out of them.

Cheers.
Steven

pezzonovante88
06-04-2012, 07:46 PM
"oh F**K" - (very loud) this was yesterday as I was walking back from Subway. I took a detour to wait them out.

I got one of these recently. Mid-day, families around, "Holy F**k is that a DeLorean?!!!!!" He looked like he was going to have an aneurism.

jafo2k
06-04-2012, 08:45 PM
My car sits at my auto business in the bay getting fixed up, comments I hear from customers:

Oh cool.. a Bricklin! (I'm about 5 hours away from where they made the Bricklins)

You must be fixing her up? You got her stripped right down to the metal.

Nicholas R
06-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Aside from the usual BTTF nonsense, all I seem to get lately is one of 2 things, either: "Is that an original DeLorean, or a new DeLorean?" or: "Is that a real DeLorean, or is that one of the kit DeLoreans?"

You're killin' me smalls...

EDIT: Just remembered that I was asking questions at a local radiator shop the other day and the guy said: "You really aught to look into what radiator the Fiero uses and try to use it. John DeLorean designed the Fiero to be a painted version of the DeLorean and it and uses all the same parts. The radiator is probably fits perfect and is a lot better"

Last time I will EVER set foot in that shop...

stevedmc
06-05-2012, 09:23 AM

That made me laugh.

thirdmanj
06-05-2012, 09:37 AM
My car sits at my auto business in the bay getting fixed up, comments I hear from customers:

Oh cool.. a Bricklin! (I'm about 5 hours away from where they made the Bricklins)

I bet Bricklin owners are just as sick of their cars being mistaken for DeLoreans as Delorean owners are of BTTF comments.

jafo2k
06-05-2012, 02:39 PM
That made me laugh.

Me too.. I tell them I used paint stripper.

tjd
06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Aside from the usual BTTF nonsense, all I seem to get lately is one of 2 things, either: "Is that an original DeLorean, or a new DeLorean?" or: "Is that a real DeLorean, or is that one of the kit DeLoreans?"

LOL I've had someone ask me if my car was a kit or a real DeLorean once. I didn't get the connection but my wife later said they where probably talking about whether or not it was one that was built in Texas.

I have a stupid comment story, a while back at a local cruise in one of the old-timers from the host car club came up to me and asked if I ever take it to any of the "Brooklyn Meets?" I'm thinking he's talking about cruise in's or a car show in nearby Brooklyn, Michigan (home of the Michigan International Speedway) and I tell him no "I haven't taken the car to any car meets in Brooklyn." He says to me "No Brooklyn meets as in like your car!" pointing to the back bumper of my DeLorean. I tell him "No, my car is a DeLorean, I haven't taken it to any Bricklin meets!" While saying this I'm now pointing at the same back bumper that he was when making his point. The guy just stood there looking dumbfounded for 15 seconds or so and then walked away, and I got a good chuckle at his expense once he was gone.

I have another one from a show where I overheard some twenty something telling his friend that "These cars are as heavy as boats!". I interrupt (I immediately knew I probably shouldn't have but I couldn't resist) and corrected him and told them that "actually it's a pretty light car". He kinda looks at me and says "that's your prospective!" I fire back "It's about the same weight as a Toyota Prius, it's hardly a boat!" He then gets pissed and he and his friend walk away and I hear him muttering something about it having a Chevy V8 in it. Gotta love these "experts".

MML
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM

I got that twice in the last six months.

Nicholas R
06-05-2012, 08:50 PM
It has amazed me lately how many people think these cars weigh so much, especially with the new engine. With the LS1, I keep getting people telling me how I cant expect performance like a Corvette because the DeLorean weighs twice as much. I'm just like, are you crazy? First off, modern Corvette's aren't all that light. Second, even with the new engine, this car weighs almost 500lbs less than a C5 Corvette! Last week at an Autozone, one of the employees said verbatim, "it's a shame they didn't think about weight when they were designing those; all that stainless really drags you down. Those things weight what, like 4000... 5000 pounds?" Good lord man; does it look like a F%&$ing airport tow tug? Does it look like a Mack truck??

I feel like 30 years ago, someone started the worlds largest game of "telephone" with information regarding the DeLorean. 30 years later, the original information is just more and more and more distorted.

Chris Burns
06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Pull up next to them at a light Nick and blow their doors off:deviltail:

DeLorean03
06-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Pull up next to them at a light Nick and blow their doors off:deviltail:

He won't. He's too much of a "gentleman" owner, which I highly applaud. I can't imagine if I had his engine after 9 years of BS comments - I'd floor that sucker - at a drag strip where it's legal. I guarantee you when he opens up his engine bay at any car-show/cruise-in, the naysayers and ignorant idiots shut up REAL fast with that "Corvette" badge staring back at them.

So far, the people here in Dayton haven't been too bad - for the one and only weekend I've taken it out. One guy driving by stopped dead in the middle of the street at a outlet mall here in Dayton as Jessica and I were getting in the car. He yelled over at me "Not enough flux man!" to which I retorted "I beg to differ pal!" and put my flux capacitor in my lap with the lights going off at him. Man, he laughed so hard; he totally didn't see that coming.

It's amazing all the people that tell me I should put a flux capacitor in my car, and I tell them "I already did - one is in there right now." and then when they ask to see the car and look inside they go "OMG, you really do have it!!!" It always makes me mentally roll my eyes like "Um, yeah...I have a DeLorean... you honestly thought I'd front you or lie to you about that....?"

Spittybug
06-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Try living in Houston and taking your car to a show....we not only get all the BTTF quips, the usual know-it-all guy impressing his date, the Chevy engine...... but now EVERYONE is also an expert about "somewhere around here you can have one built...." thanks to the History and Discovery channels.

I guess Stephen & James' media strategy is raising public awareness. I feel like a sales rep for them. I should get commission.

On the plus side though, Saturday's Coffee and Cars was HUGE at Vintage park. They've got a tradition now of filing out parade style down the center road. All the people line the street and watch the cars leave. It's slow because the police meter the traffic onto Louetta Rd. There isn't a better feeling than slow cruising it with the doors open and Disturbed cranking! My 16 year old son just relishes it. I had a couple of women run up and tell me mine was their favorite of the whole show. Not bad considering the guest list......

vwdmc16
06-06-2012, 01:21 AM
" Hey that car was in that....... that uh......"

"That movie?"

"Yeah man that movie with this car!"

"It sure was"

"Yeah I saw that movie man......Sweet, take it easy bro!"

"Thanks":confused0:

DL4567
06-06-2012, 01:33 AM
The thing that alarms me the most when reading this thread, is.... imagine how much of the general knowledge that goes around is completely wrong? I'm not talking about DeLorean stuff, but anything. Subjects on which we don't know any better, so we don't question it. If all these DeLorean comments are any representative sample, it's scary to think of how much wrong info could be going around about all sorts of subjects!

Jonathan
06-06-2012, 09:32 AM
The thing that alarms me the most when reading this thread, is.... imagine how much of the general knowledge that goes around is completely wrong? I'm not talking about DeLorean stuff, but anything. Subjects on which we don't know any better, so we don't question it. If all these DeLorean comments are any representative sample, it's scary to think of how much wrong info could be going around about all sorts of subjects!

I agree completely Derek. Most of us here are obsessed with DeLoreans and know a lot about them. So when we hear misinformation, we can spot it really quick.

Three other scary examples I've experienced in the last year are the nuclear industry, the Alberta Oil Sands, and cruise ships (via my brother). All three of those have the public and media saying all kinds of crazy stuff that makes you shudder if you know the actual facts. Like they say, if it bleeds it leads. The rag newspapers aren't going to print something that has no drama in it, so if a fact about something is a bit boring or dry, they just make something more exciting up. Kind of why my TV is never tuned to the news. Well, if you don't count Sportscentre that is.

Grover
06-06-2012, 10:37 AM

I've had this happen. When I told them that it came like that from the factory, THEY WOULD NOT BELIEVE ME. lol, ok, I don't know anything about the car that I own and drive.

Farrar
06-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Whenever someone gives me misinformation about the car and doesn't believe me when I correct them, I say "Well, I guess your DeLorean must be different."

pezzonovante88
06-06-2012, 03:33 PM
" Hey that car was in that....... that uh......"

"That movie?"

"Yeah man that movie with this car!"

"It sure was"

"Yeah I saw that movie man......Sweet, take it easy bro!"

"Thanks":confused0:

Pretty much LOL

jackb
06-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Whenever someone gives me misinformation about the car and doesn't believe me when I correct them, I say "Well, I guess your DeLorean must be different."
Perfect. I'm stealing this response.

thirdmanj
06-06-2012, 09:21 PM
-At a 7-11 today-

Guy- "That's some mighty fine aluminum on that DeLorean!"

Me- "Thanks! But it 304 grade stainless steel."

Guy- "No it's aluminum."

Me- "Really? You serious? Come on man, it's MY car."

Guy- *looks with blank face makes a "hupff" noise and goes into the store.*

That's the first time in a VERY long time that it's been mistaken for aluminum. What a jackass that guy.

Farrar
06-06-2012, 10:37 PM

You're welcome. :)

DeLorean03
06-06-2012, 10:38 PM

Me too. Perfect and straight to the point.

DeLorean03
06-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I drove mine to the base just to try a "W/Sat/Sun" schedule to enjoy the car a TINY bit during the middle of the week. With that being said.....

Three for today, keep in mind other than my binnacle (have a dashmat), the vast majority of my interior is perfect looking to the casual passer-by. Note, my face got longer and more irritated with each comment:

"Wow, too bad that interior didn't hold up very well..."

-___-

"Wow, the aluminum looks good for a 30 year old car..."

-______-

And then the one I loved:

"Wow, perfect except it's an automatic."

-_________________________________________-

All three from the same guy.

He was politely corrected, and for the most part, he was a nice guy. Just sometimes if people's mouths were guns, they'd fire nothing but stupid bullets I swear.

jawn101
06-06-2012, 10:46 PM

I think we can add "succinct and cutting retorts" to the "what have the Brits done for you" list... thanks Dermot! I'm gonna use it too. And when I say it, it will just be OOZING with a thick cocktail of sarcasm and vitriol. I guess I'll have to reserve it for those who really make me mad. :)

Jimmyvonviggle
06-06-2012, 10:57 PM

Ya like "don't worry you can't become pregnant on your first time".

Farrar
06-06-2012, 10:58 PM
I think we can add "succinct and cutting retorts" to the "what have the Brits done for you" list...

But I'm not English.

Dangermouse
06-06-2012, 11:28 PM
But I'm not English.

But you are an Anglophile ;)

dvonk
06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
But I'm not English.

and you also arent Dermot, he was obviously confused by your very similar avatars...

ive found myself scrolling up to see who made what posts on several occasions. it doesnt help if youre both posting in the same thread either. :lol:

dvonk
06-07-2012, 12:48 AM
this should help:

Whenever someone gives me misinformation about the car and doesn't believe me when I correct them, I say "Well, I guess your DeLorean must be different."Perfect. I'm stealing this response.

I think we can add "succinct and cutting retorts" to the "what have the Brits done for you" list... thanks Dermot! I'm gonna use it too. And when I say it, it will just be OOZING with a thick cocktail of sarcasm and vitriol. I guess I'll have to reserve it for those who really make me mad. :)

But I'm not English.

But you are an Anglophile ;)

there. clear as mud. :wink:

jawn101
06-07-2012, 12:50 AM
and you also arent Dermot, he was obviously confused by your very similar avatars...

ive found myself scrolling up to see who made what posts on several occasions. it doesnt help if youre both posting in the same thread either. :lol:

Ah dammit. Sorry guys :)

One of you needs to switch to the 'stop dead and freak the hell out' avatar.

Either way I'm using your line. ;)

Dangermouse
06-07-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm not English either.

So Farrar and I have that in common too. Hope that helps.

skynet
06-07-2012, 08:16 AM
It has amazed me lately how many people think these cars weigh so much, especially with the new engine. With the LS1, I keep getting people telling me how I cant expect performance like a Corvette because the DeLorean weighs twice as much. I'm just like, are you crazy? First off, modern Corvette's aren't all that light. Second, even with the new engine, this car weighs almost 500lbs less than a C5 Corvette! Last week at an Autozone, one of the employees said verbatim, "it's a shame they didn't think about weight when they were designing those; all that stainless really drags you down. Those things weight what, like 4000... 5000 pounds?" Good lord man; does it look like a F%&$ing airport tow tug? Does it look like a Mack truck??

I feel like 30 years ago, someone started the worlds largest game of "telephone" with information regarding the DeLorean. 30 years later, the original information is just more and more and more distorted.

I also have been told that the car's MPG is very low and it is very sluggish because of the enormous weight (2 tons, which is about 4400 lbs).

I figured out this is just because of envy. Lots of people are smiling and congratulating, but some of them say stupid things, really wanting to say "you have a nice looking car that I can't afford, but (evil laugh) now you're gonna pay a whole lot for it and also it's slow as hell, my Suzuki Swift (Geo Metro in the US) surely will outperform it".

Farrar
06-07-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm not English either.

So Farrar and I have that in common too. Hope that helps.

Perhaps I should come up with an avatar that says "I Can't Believe It's Not Britain!"

ccurzio
06-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Speaking of people who don't know shit about our cars...

Just before I got mine, I was sitting in Applebee's on my iPad browsing eBay DeLorean auctions, and the conversation about the car starts between myself, the bartender, and a few other people at the bar. One guy at the end, some older guy, chimes in and says "yeah you can't get parts of any kind for that car anymore. Especially the engine." I tell him that there are still plenty of parts readily available, and that the engine is relatively common and easy to find crossover parts. He argued with me, insisting that I was wrong.

"Then why do I have a guy's DeLorean sitting at my house with its engine in pieces needing an engine piston that can't be found?"

Uh... Because you're a moron?

There's no way he actually had a DeLorean at his house, since that would have come up WAAAAAY earlier in the conversation. He just wanted to win the argument. So whatever, I gave him a list of other PRV6 cars and left it at that to let him to believe whatever he wants.

Dangermouse
06-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Perhaps I should come up with an avatar that says "I Can't Believe It's Not Britain!"

awesome

Chris Burns
06-07-2012, 10:55 AM
I did a car show last year with my buddy and his 2 Deloreans at a British Car Show. His Deloreans was the only 2 Deloreans there and the crowds LOVED them. Tons of questions were asked and what was funny is that there was a anime convention next door so all the costumed attendants stopped by.

The dumb comment came from a guy walking by in charge of arranging the parking spaces for the cars. He was like "Deloreans aren't British!".:rolleyes1: Hello? Lotus engineering? Lotus Esprit frame? British money? There was even a Esprit at the show! As usual my bud's Deloreans were overlooked by the judges. A fun day though and at least the cars got to come out! And I got to ride in a Delorean with it's original NCT tires!:D

ccurzio
06-07-2012, 11:03 AM
The dumb comment came from a guy walking by in charge of arranging the parking spaces for the cars. He was like "Deloreans aren't British!".:rolleyes1: Hello? Lotus engineering? Lotus Esprit frame? British money?

To be fair, it WAS an American company.

For many, many years, the engines in many Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth vehicles were Mitsubishi engines. Doesn't mean it's a Japanese car. Also, tons of VWs were manufactured in Mexico, but that didn't make them Mexican cars.

Stainless
06-07-2012, 11:07 AM
...and also it's slow as hell, my Suzuki Swift (Geo Metro in the US) surely will outperform it.

This is a moot point, but there were Geo Metros and Suzuki Swifts sold in the U.S.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/jlattin21/someone-on-the-internet-is-wrong2.jpg

dvonk
06-07-2012, 11:09 AM

:bigclap:

DeLorean03
06-07-2012, 05:42 PM

Let's be honest, the guy would not have told the driver of the DeLorean "It's not a British car. It's a Irish car because it was made by DeLorean Motor Company that was originally located in North Dunmerry, Ireland."

NO way he would have retorted with that. Put my keys to 3299 on it.

Farrar
06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Let's be honest, the guy would not have told the driver of the DeLorean "It's not a British car. It's a Irish car because it was made by DeLorean Motor Company that was originally located in North Dunmerry, Ireland."

And he would have been wrong. Dunmurry is in Northern Ireland, UK.

jawn101
06-07-2012, 05:55 PM
And he would have been wrong. Dunmurry is in Northern Ireland, UK.

I like having Farrar's picture in his signature now. I don't mix him up with Dermot.

Ron
06-07-2012, 06:09 PM

"Then why do I have a guy's DeLorean sitting at my house with its engine in pieces needing an engine piston that can't be found?"

Uh... Because you're a moron.

Ya could of said, "Well you found them now -- How many do you want?" ;-)

Ron
06-07-2012, 06:11 PM
I like having Farrar's picture in his signature now. I don't mix him up with Dermot.
Don't forget there is master of bearded disguises running around here...

Citizen
06-07-2012, 06:37 PM

To be fair, it WAS an American company....

Ron quoting Accipiter? Wait, I thought Accipiter WAS Ron. I'm so confused!

Furry_DeLorean
06-07-2012, 08:22 PM
I got a small story. So a few months ago at my college I told one of my teachers that I have a DeLorean which Ive been working on. He was intregued but probably hasn't cared for them since 1982 if ever. So a couple months passed and for the first time he noticed me driving my daily driver on the parking lot. I drive a silver 1984 Toyota Celica with louvres. He walkes to my car as I open the door. His face suddenly changes from curiosity to confusion. I step out and say "No this isn't the DeLorean".

To date my Celica has been mistaken for my DeLorean at least ten times by various people in my community.

Ron
06-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Chris and I are drawing high card at the meet this Saturday to see who gets to ban you for that one...

Dangermouse
06-07-2012, 11:14 PM

Yes, Accipiter WAS Ron but he's now Sean.

Or is it the other way around.

Ron
06-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Yes, Accipiter WAS Ron but he's now Sean.

Or is it the other way around.
I think you are confusing me with Mike -- I only have a mustache.

Michael
06-07-2012, 11:48 PM

Just before I got mine, I was sitting in Applebee's on my iPad browsing eBay DeLorean auctions, and the conversation about the car starts between myself, the bartender, and a few other people at the bar. One guy at the end, some older guy, chimes in and says "yeah you can't get parts of any kind for that car anymore. Especially the engine." I tell him that there are still plenty of parts readily available, and that the engine is relatively common and easy to find crossover parts. He argued with me, insisting that I was wrong.

Uh... Because you're a moron?

There's no way he actually had a DeLorean at his house, since that would have come up WAAAAAY earlier in the conversation. He just wanted to win the argument. So whatever, I gave him a list of other PRV6 cars and left it at that to let him to believe whatever he wants.
Most definitely should have put your iPad to Delorean.com parts section, looked up the pistons and asked him "will that be credit or cod?"

dvonk
06-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Most definitely should have put your iPad to Delorean.com parts section, looked up the pistons and asked him "will that be credit or cod?"

+1, that the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Dangermouse
06-08-2012, 07:55 AM
I think you are confusing me with Mike -- I only have a mustache.

No, I think we previously established that Mike and Sean are the same person, so that would make you Sean with a mustasche.

Ron
06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
No, I think we previously established that Mike and Sean are the same person, so that would make you Sean with a mustasche.

Oh, I see, there are five of you.

Citizen
06-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Oh, I see, there are five of you.

There is a guy at work, whom there is five of. When talking to him, you have to be cognizant of which one of the five you are addressing, so not to offend one of the other four.

Maybe Sean, Mike, Chris and Ron are all the same person? I could be wrong, but hey, I'm just sayin'.

:)

Thomas

ccurzio
06-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Maybe Sean, Mike, Chris and Ron are all the same person? I could be wrong, but hey, I'm just sayin'.

If I were sean or Ron, I'd be answering more DMC questions than asking. :)

Ron
06-10-2012, 12:59 AM
There is a guy at work, whom there is five of. When talking to him, you have to be cognizant of which one of the five you are addressing, so not to offend one of the other four.

Thomas

lol
Just blame the other guys...

mac
06-15-2012, 07:54 AM

For many, many years, the engines in many Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth vehicles were Mitsubishi engines. Doesn't mean it's a Japanese car. Also, tons of VWs were manufactured in Mexico, but that didn't make them Mexican cars.

In the German documents of the vehicle registration office, "DeLorean (GB)" is stated as manufacturer and country of origin, but nontheless we are heartly welcome at US-Car- and V8-shows and gatherings^^

deloreanman14
06-17-2012, 07:57 PM
I told somebody at work today that I hope to buy a DeLorean sometime fairly soon, to which he replied, "Good luck...those are like $300,000." I tried to explain the 25K rule to him but he was insistent that I might be able to find a basket case for a hundred grand. :banghead:

Lenny
06-17-2012, 08:31 PM
I told somebody at work today that I hope to buy a DeLorean sometime fairly soon, to which he replied, "Good luck...those are like $300,000." I tried to explain the 25K rule to him but he was insistent that I might be able to find a basket case for a hundred grand. :banghead:

Where are you located? I'll bring mine up tomorrow he can have it for $250,000.00, Stage II, great shape :tongue:

deloreanman14
06-17-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm not paying a penny over 225K. :wiggle:

Michael
06-17-2012, 11:19 PM

Bet him lunch then go to delorean.com.

ccurzio
06-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Bet him lunch then go to delorean.com.

Or don't. Instead, buy one for $40k and then sell it to him "at a steal" for $150k.

Can't beat half price.

Dracula
06-18-2012, 08:44 AM
I'd rather the common misconception be that the cars fetch super car money than that they're worthless junkers.

thirdmanj
06-18-2012, 09:14 AM
I'd rather the common misconception be that the cars fetch super car money than that they're worthless junkers.

Well that seems a bit hypocritical, for someone who seems to insist on accuracy so much.

1Mcfly4u
06-18-2012, 11:34 AM
So back on par to topic.. Guy asked me again today, "When are you going to drive that Lambo to work again, that things a nice ride."

marcel
06-18-2012, 01:30 PM
At a gas station.
Him: Awesome car, man. Who did those sick doors?
me: I got a guy in Northern Ireland to do them for me.
Him: Cool, rock on.

Dracula
06-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Well that seems a bit hypocritical, for someone who seems to insist on accuracy so much.

Perhaps a little, but its better than bad information. A lesser of two evils, as it were.

Farrar
06-19-2012, 10:44 AM
I drove to a work event once in my DeLorean. Years later, by which I mean just recently, I got a phone call from a listener who asked "Do you still have your James Bond car?" She was a sweet old lady who had no idea about "Back to the Future," so I explained that a Dealorean had been used in a film, but not a Bond one. "That's a shame," she said, "It sure looks like something he would drive."

Not a stupid comment, actually rather sweet... but I had to post it somewhere. :)

Jonathan
06-20-2012, 09:53 AM
...so I explained that a Dealorean...

Interesting Freudian slip Farrar... The "Dealorean" could be the next coke joke we all hear. lol.

Farrar
06-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Interesting Freudian slip Farrar... The "Dealorean" could be the next coke joke we all hear. lol.

Ah, sorry about that. This is why I am buying a Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad. Too many typos! :lol:

dvonk
06-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Ah, sorry about that. This is why I am buying a Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad. Too many typos! :lol:

if i had an iPad, i would get one of these TouchFire (http://www.touchfire.com/how-it-works/) keyboards... they look pretty sweet.

they start shipping at the end of June.

FLUXING
06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
What an interesting product!

if i had an iPad, i would get one of these TouchFire (http://www.touchfire.com/how-it-works/) keyboards... they look pretty sweet.

they start shipping at the end of June.

skynet
06-21-2012, 09:32 AM
What an interesting product!

I "invented" these about 2 years ago... shame I did not apply for a copyright :D

David_NYS
06-25-2012, 05:56 AM
I drove to a work event once in my DeLorean. Years later, by which I mean just recently, I got a phone call from a listener who asked "Do you still have your James Bond car?" She was a sweet old lady who had no idea about "Back to the Future," so I explained that a Dealorean had been used in a film, but not a Bond one. "That's a shame," she said, "It sure looks like something he would drive."

Not a stupid comment, actually rather sweet... but I had to post it somewhere. :)

Perhaps she was thinking of the old VW Beetle advertisement with Rodger Moore? In it he drives a Delorean kitted out with all sorts of fancy "spy stuff". In the end, the Beetle is supposed to win over the audience because of its simple design.

Farrar
06-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Perhaps she was thinking of the old VW Beetle advertisement with Rodger Moore? In it he drives a Delorean kitted out with all sorts of fancy "spy stuff". In the end, the Beetle is supposed to win over the audience because of its simple design.

Hm, maybe so! That advertisement would have been before my time (I was born in 1979), but definitely not before the old lady's. Nice!

FLUXING
06-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Born in 1979? I have shoes older than that...

Hm, maybe so! That advertisement would have been before my time (I was born in 1979), but definitely not before the old lady's. Nice!

Farrar
06-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Born in 1979? I have shoes older than that...

You should be able to tell from my photo that I am not particularly old -- yet.

(Edit: I just SOUND old.)

vwdmc16
06-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Parked on the street, and sitting 20ft away, a man pointed to my car and told his friends " hey look its one of those snowmobiles"

(cocaine reference) kinda unique i'll give him that.

Sidaries
06-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Parked on the street, and sitting 20ft away, a man pointed to my car and told his friends " hey look its one of those snowmobiles"

(cocaine reference) kinda unique i'll give him that.

Maybe his eyes were just bad and he knew about the Logan and DMC connection. :D

ramblinmike
07-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Me-getting gas minding my own business at a local station.

Random guy-"Is that a DeLorean?

Me-"Yes, it is."

Random guy-"Does it run? I mean, does it still work?"

Me-"Well, I didn't push it here."

Stainless
07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Took my father for a ride and had to stop for gas. Lady next to us asks if she can take a picture or else her kids won't believe her. Then the dude with her asks me where the flux capacitor is. My dad then said, "I bet you get sick of hearing that." Why yes... yes I do. I know that this has been said before, but do these people think that they are the first people to think of that? I just roll my eyes every time someone asks me that, but I don't want to be a jerk about it. Such is life, I guess.

Sidaries
07-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Took my father for a ride and had to stop for gas. Lady next to us asks if she can take a picture or else her kids won't believe her. Then the dude with her asks me where the flux capacitor is. My dad then said, "I bet you get sick of hearing that." Why yes... yes I do. I know that this has been said before, but do these people think that they are the first people to think of that? I just roll my eyes every time someone asks me that, but I don't want to be a jerk about it. Such is life, I guess.

I always say, what I read here before:
"Interesting. You asked the same, tomorrow."

pezzonovante88
07-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Me-getting gas minding my own business at a local station.

Random guy-"Is that a DeLorean?

Me-"Yes, it is."

Random guy-"Does it run? I mean, does it still work?"

Me-"Well, I didn't push it here."

Hahahahahaha!

jawn101
07-05-2012, 09:53 AM
I too have had people ask me at the gas station if it's a real DeLorean, and if it runs. :screwy:

Ron
07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
FWIW, "Does it run?" in racing circles, etc. it is the same as, "Does it haul ass?", or "...like a race car?"

Of coarse that doesn't apply with Mike's idiot. lol

jawn101
07-05-2012, 11:49 AM
FWIW, "Does it run?" in racing circles, etc. it is the same as, "Does it haul ass?", or "...like a race car?"

Lol, I don't remember the exact words used but I don't think it applied to my idiot either. From the context it was pretty clear he was just wondering if it moved under its own power. :)

dustybarn
07-05-2012, 02:05 PM
When I came out from Wal-Mart yesterday, I found a cute note under the wiper that said, "Is your Flux Capacitor Fluxing :smile:?"

I have to take the BTTF comments from the general public's perspective. Seeing a D on the road is a very rare occurrence; until I bought 1776, I hadn't seen one in person since 1982, and my wife had never seen one in the wild. The person who makes the flux capacitor joke very probably has never had that opportunity before, and may never again. It may get a bit monotonous, but I can appreciate it in the spirit that it's intended.

Of course, I've only had the car 2 months. Ask me my opinion a couple of years from now :)

I don't have a lot of patience for ill-informed cocaine-in-the-doors nonsense, but so far the public reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.

Ron
07-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Lol, I don't remember the exact words used but I don't think it applied to my idiot either. From the context it was pretty clear he was just wondering if it moved under its own power. :)
Figures, huh!?!

LOL @ "my idiot"

ramblinmike
07-06-2012, 04:55 PM

I can guarantee that this guy wasn't asking if it was fast! I could at least understand that question.

If he did ask how fast it was I would have given my stock response:

A deep sigh and something like, "No. Your civic would own it."

marcel
07-06-2012, 10:05 PM
I have a standard answer to a popular question that I'm sure we all get sometimes.

Is it fast??

I reply, well does it look fast??

They always reply with 'yes'.

My answer 'I agree, it does look fast, doesn't it.

sdg3205
07-06-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a standard answer to a popular question that I'm sure we all get sometimes.

Is it fast??

I reply, well does it look fast??

They always reply with 'yes'.

My answer 'I agree, it does look fast, doesn't it.

You win. Best response ever.

Shep
07-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Does anyone remember their first "Stupid DeLorean Comment" they ever got? I still remember mine quite well, and it came from a good friend of mine back in high school (haven't seen him since graduation though -- he went into the Navy). It happened five years ago, within two or three months of me seeing Back To The Future and first learning about DeLoreans. I had been telling everyone that the second I had the money, I was going to buy myself a DeLorean. I forget how we got to the punchline, so I might be mistaken about the entry, but this was one that I rarely see.

(Friend): So, what color are you getting?
(Me): Bare stainless steel.
(Friend): Yeah, but what color ON the stainless steel?
(Me): No, bare stainless steel. No paint.
(Friend): Seriously?! It'll rust! You can't just have bare stainless steel and expect it not to rust!
(Me): Um, stainless steel doesn't rust.
(Friend): Of course it does! [Continues to be very adamant about rust issues. I act like I didn't know since he's a friend.]

At the time, I honestly had no idea what the hell he had in mind. This was a guy that in the two years I knew him owned a Biscayne, Falcon, Javelin, Bonneville, and a bunch of other classics I'm forgetting, so he's VERY car-literate. Class started and we had a lecture in an adjacent room, then returned to our desks. When we did, he walked up to me and said this:

(Friend): I was wrong. I was thinking of galvanized steel, not stainless steel.

I was more dumbfounded at the time, but looking back on it, I can't help but laugh at it. Certainly was unique! :rofl:

Here's one that came from my neighbor the day 559 was picked up from Las Vegas. The conversation went something like this:

(Me): It has 4,641 original miles
(Neighbor): Actually, no, it has a lot more...
(Me): Nope, just four thou-
(Neighbor): ...but they went back in time to when the odometer was lower, and had less wear on it, and that's the one you got.

I have to admit, I chuckled at that one. It was quite unexpected; I was thinking he was going to say the odometer rolled over to 104,641 or something like that and was just uninformed. He's very adept at sounding dead serious with an amazing poker face when he's joking around and making you fall for it.

DeMopar
07-06-2012, 11:30 PM
When I came out from Wal-Mart yesterday, I found a cute note under the wiper that said, "Is your Flux Capacitor Fluxing :smile:?"

I have to take the BTTF comments from the general public's perspective. Seeing a D on the road is a very rare occurrence; until I bought 1776, I hadn't seen one in person since 1982, and my wife had never seen one in the wild. The person who makes the flux capacitor joke very probably has never had that opportunity before, and may never again. It may get a bit monotonous, but I can appreciate it in the spirit that it's intended.

Of course, I've only had the car 2 months. Ask me my opinion a couple of years from now :)

I don't have a lot of patience for ill-informed cocaine-in-the-doors nonsense, but so far the public reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.

It is funny though to think that almost every person who encounters the car, whether they have ever seen one in person or not, can belt out the standard and always identical Flux Capacitor joke...

Farrar
07-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Once at work, someone left a fake "Sports Almanac" (just a bunch of blank paper, except for the front which was a photocopy of the cover of the BTTFII prop) under my wiper blade with a sticky note that said "From M.M." Gotta say, that was original.

Nicholas R
07-07-2012, 09:56 AM
You know *technically* stainless steel is not rust proof. It isn't "stain-proof" steel it's "stain-less" steel. ;) Sorry just giving you a hard time. For all intents and purposes it shouldnt rust.

...though I will say the first time I washed my car after welding and grinding around it for several months I had some pretty serious rust (for a DeLorean). Took a lot of scrubbing with a sanding block to remove it all.

Totally 80s
07-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I live where there is a lot of red dirt. Basically iron ore mixed with dirt, so if you don't keep the car clean you can get these tiny little rust spots all over it. Pain in the butt.

pezzonovante88
07-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Overheard some goofy looking guy walking past my DeLorean telling the girl he was with that year in "the movie" was 2012. She argued it was 2015, but he was adamant that it was 2012. Silly bugger.

jawn101
07-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Overheard some goofy looking guy walking past my DeLorean telling the girl he was with that year in "the movie" was 2012. She argued it was 2015, but he was adamant that it was 2012. Silly bugger.

Give that girl a medal. And take away the boyfriend's facebook access for believing any dumb thing he reads... :)

thirdmanj
07-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Give that girl a medal. And take away the boyfriend's facebook access for believing any dumb thing he reads... :)

Yeah I had one of those today too. Poor guy, he really liked the car, but damnit if he didn't get everything wrong.

"You know they're making these again now?" ...No they aren't
"Someone sent me a screen shot of BTTF when they went to 2012" ....No they didn't.
"Oh cool you've got a hover board!! Is it like one of the real ones like they made for the movie?"...No that was all wires.

Shep
07-07-2012, 10:45 PM
"Someone sent me a screen shot of BTTF when they went to 2012" ....No they didn't.Actually, they probably did. My own mother told me one of the dates in BTTF was a few days ago (June twenty-something 2012), which I immediately knew was BS. I told her it was fake, but she showed me a screenshot of the date she got from a coworker. After I insisted it was wrong, she googled the date, and found out that it was in fact photoshopped. Turns out it was a promotion for something, but I vividly remember the same exact thing happening last year, and people believing the same exact BS. Google it for yourself if you don't remember.

And yet somehow it went viral twice. Are people truly this idiotic that they literally fall for the same thing twice? What happened, did we completely forget hearing the same thing about the same day last year? Or are people really this gullible? I swear, just when there seems to be hope for internet humanity :facepalm:

And yeah, I had a guy tell me something to the effect of "there's a place in Texas that bought up all the old parts, and they're building new ones now." I almost corrected him and said they're remanufactured, but the introvert in me didn't want to bother when I was there to see the other cars in the car show and had just gotten there.

thirdmanj
07-07-2012, 10:56 PM
No I meant they never went to 2012.

Although it is possible that when the TC were all jacked up and going on the fritz they flashed the 2012 date. But I don't think so.

pezzonovante88
07-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Oh yeah, and I also had a chick in a car full of teens driving past yell "Look! It's a Lamborghini!"

Shep
07-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Frankly, I'd rather have my DeLorean be confused for a Lambo than have any of those slow/heavy/drugs/etc. comments to deal with. At least in that case they think I'm making six figures! :smile:

No I meant they never went to 2012.

Although it is possible that when the TC were all jacked up and going on the fritz they flashed the 2012 date. But I don't think so.Correct, they never went to 2012. If I recall correctly, all the dates in the electrical storm were before 1985, but I could be mistaken about that one (so don't quote me on it). I thought you meant no one showed him that screenshot; that one's my bad.

Dmc10398
07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Try going from a DeLorean to an actual minivan......then you feel like you're driving a bus!

I've also done most if not all of the thing you posted. I look for the parking brake near the door on my Saturn, and often find myself trying to clutch in the van. that works poorly :)

Hell try going from a Delorean to a Freightliner Cascadia, its like going from a go cart to a...freightliner.

MML
07-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Oh yeah, and I also had a chick in a car full of teens driving past yell "Look! It's a Lamborghini!"

Random girl at petrol station: "Hey mister, your car looks cool! Is it a Ferrari?"

To be fair, she looked about 12, so likely wouldn't have even heard of a Delorean.

ramblinmike
07-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Random girl at petrol station: "Hey mister, your car looks cool! Is it a Ferrari?"

To be fair, she looked about 12, so likely wouldn't have even heard of a Delorean.

No, little girl. Doc didn't build a time machine out of a Ferrari.

David_NYS
07-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Not really do much a stupid comment as a creepy one. Just had someone cut across lanes and follow me back a half mile to my hotel to "see a Delorean up close!" Freaking paparazzi! :/

DMC3165
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Hell try going from a Delorean to a Freightliner Cascadia, its like going from a go cart to a...freightliner.

I can relate. I used to have an 05 379 peterbilt. I'd drive the D to work in the morning and most of the other drivers would just shake their heads when I got out of the D and into the Pete. My terminal manager used to break my chops constantly for driving the D. He would ask "did you drive the DeLorean to work today?" When I replied yes. Then he'd say "well I'm sure you made it in no time" Ba-dum-kshh

jawn101
07-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Had a guy walk up to me in my own garage yesterday and ask "Hey, where'd you get that? A police auction!?"

HURR HURRR HURRRRRRR :P

Shep
07-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I was at a funeral today (of all places for a stupid DeLorean comment), and was telling my neighbor about my DeLorean, and how it was the 59th one built. Then he says "so that was before they started putting cocaine in the gas tank." Honestly... at a funeral?! I couldn't get mad or anything at a place like that, so I just laughed along like it was actually halfway funny. If someone hadn't died and he was at my house, I would've spoken up, but noooo, he just HAD to flank me :facepalm: *sigh*

Sadly, I'm actually not surprised he said it all things considered.

dmc6960
07-16-2012, 08:56 AM
and how it was the 59th one built

Wouldn't it be the 60th? The VINs started at 500, not 501.

This of course ignores all of the pilot cars and the likely out-of-order assembly each car went through. Makes me curious what your frame number is.

vwdmc16
07-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Had a guy walk up to me in my own garage yesterday and ask "Hey, where'd you get that? A police auction!?"

HURR HURRR HURRRRRRR :P

So that was supposed to be a cocaine reference? hmm, that guy was saying alot of shit. You know I get upset at even the simpler comments like
have you driven it?" as if the car is such a pile that it couldnt possible be driven regularly, it all.

Shep
07-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Wouldn't it be the 60th? The VINs started at 500, not 501.

This of course ignores all of the pilot cars and the likely out-of-order assembly each car went through.I've read that the original VIN 500 had a brake failure and crashed into a wall, so 501 became 500 and the original 500 was given a later VIN, which would make mine the 59th. Even if this weren't the case, I have in at least three places in the documentation "59th car built". This was written by the original owner, and I have no reason to doubt this considering the info started the day he contacted DMCH, and the first occurrence was written alongside some other info from DMCH.

Obviously this disregards all pilots, but out-of-order assembly may be included in this determination.

Makes me curious what your frame number is.I've actually seen it first-hand: 98. My first car was a '95, and both are Windows versions, so it's easy to remember (I grew up with both... I'm not that young :tongue: ).

jawn101
07-16-2012, 09:07 PM
So that was supposed to be a cocaine reference? hmm, that guy was saying alot of shit. You know I get upset at even the simpler comments like
have you driven it?" as if the car is such a pile that it couldnt possible be driven regularly, it all.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was a drug joke. That guy was something else, that's for sure. No, I've never driven it. I pushed it here.

vwdmc16
07-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Went to gas station, older black man drove up in a E36 Bmw

" Wow what is that...some kinda Maserati?"

"No sir, a 1981 Delorean"

"Oh, didnt know American Motors made something like that"

"No its made by Delorean Motor company, DMC, in Northern Ireland"

"Okay, but that thing must be fast, it must do at least 200 mph"

"Uh no its actually not very fast, maybe 130mph, your Beamer is much quicker"

"Bullshit son, I know a 200mph car when I see one, that thing is fast!"

"Alright then"

jawn101
07-18-2012, 09:08 PM

"Alright then"

Should have offered to race for pinks and see if he still thinks that. Just don't actually DO it. :lol:

vwdmc16
07-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Race for pinks and the Loser wins the other car! Nah, his car was looking pretty beat, he started going on about how it had 300k miles and blah blah blah.

pezzonovante88
07-18-2012, 09:52 PM

"Alright then"

I like this one. Especially "Bullshit son, I know a 200mph car when I see one....."

Kenny_Z
07-21-2012, 09:22 AM
I was trying to back out of a parking spot and I had a pizza guy pull up right behind me. I almost didn't see him. I wanted to yell at him about almost getting Honda all over my Delorean but I didn't. It was the first one he'd ever seen in person and I didn't want to give him a bad impression of the owners. Even though it was his fault he almost wrecked the car he wanted to see so bad.

The first comment I ever received and the one I hate more than anything was "Why is it red?" I have to admit it was the first thing I thought when I saw her and why I gave her the name Red. I need a sticker that says "No, I didn't paint her. Yes, I'm removing it one day."

ccurzio
07-22-2012, 11:10 AM
It looks like this topic might be skewing toward painted cars. Maybe another thread is in order?

The day is new and I know a way to get the thread right back on topic.

"Painted DeLoreans are awesome!"

Next?

Ron
07-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Painted Deloreans discussion Here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2233-Painted-Deloreans)

Next?

Shep
07-22-2012, 09:59 PM
The first comment I ever received and the one I hate more than anything was "Why is it red?" I have to admit it was the first thing I thought when I saw her and why I gave her the name Red. I need a sticker that says "No, I didn't paint her. Yes, I'm removing it one day."When you do eventually remove the paint, are you still going to call her Red? Just curious. I can see that leading to some stupid DeLorean comments itself.

I'm sure I'll have some good ones in a few days when the family comes over, and probably even more when I go visit it again. Doubly so on the wedding day when I meet the other side of the family for the first time.

Kenny_Z
07-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Yep, the name is staying. At that point it'll be just to confuse people that don't know her history. I just need a few witty comments to use. "Why do you call her Red?" "I'm colorblind. She looks the same to me."

Shep
07-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Yep, the name is staying. At that point it'll be just to confuse people that don't know her history. I just need a few witty comments to use. "Why do you call her Red?" "I'm colorblind. She looks the same to me."Off the top of my head: "I've spent so much money on her, I'm in the Red." "When I win the awards over those Lambos, it makes their faces Red." "It used to be Red, but when I got it up to 88 MPH, the paint didn't survive the trip."

I'm sure you'll think of something though. Of course, you could also just leave it at "Because" and wait for the next comment.

Ron
07-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Painted Deloreans discussion Here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2233-Painted-Deloreans)

Next?
I guess I worded that wrong, huh?

Kenny_Z
07-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I guess I worded that wrong, huh?

Well, technically we're not discussing the paint. We're discussing possible future stupid Delorean comments because of lack of paint ;)

And I really like that one, "The paint didn't survive the flux dispersal last time I hit 88."

Ron
07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Well, technically we're not discussing the paint. We're discussing possible future stupid Delorean comments because of lack of paint ;)

Touché!

And I really like that one, "The paint didn't survive the flux dispersal last time I hit 88."

Now this, although relative, is not a stupid Delorean comment -- It's a clever comeback. :biggrin:

Tillsy
07-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Now this, although relative, is not a stupid Delorean comment -- It's a clever comeback. :biggrin:

On a related note when I've been confronted with the flux capacitor remark I've responded by explaining no, that feature came on the next model up.

Now that I've fitted Sal's flux storage door that won't quite work anymore :)

Ron
07-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Depending on who/how said, you could say, "Crap!..Did someone steal it again", and run around to look....

vwdmc16
07-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Or " I knew i shouldnt have gone through that automated car wash!"

Kenny_Z
07-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Today an old friend from high school and I were catching up after a movie since we hadn't seen each other since graduation. She asked me to bring the Delorean because she had never seen one before. We were walking back to Red and laughing at the audience the car picked up in the parking lot when we heard "So, what...is that like the car from Star Wars?" Brandi and I stopped in our tracks and stared at the "bro" in his baby blue polo. His friends just shook their heads and lead him off to the bar since that's obviously more his speed.

Seriously, the car from star wars? At what IQ does Star Wars equal a movie about a car? I'm guessing negative twelve.

Dracula
07-24-2012, 09:54 PM
To be fair, if George Lucas could slap the Star Wars name on a car and add to his fortune, do you doubt that he'd hesitate for an instant?

Michael
07-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Today an old friend from high school and I were catching up after a movie since we hadn't seen each other since graduation. She asked me to bring the Delorean because she had never seen one before. We were walking back to Red and laughing at the audience the car picked up in the parking lot when we heard "So, what...is that like the car from Star Wars?" Brandi and I stopped in our tracks and stared at the "bro" in his baby blue polo. His friends just shook their heads and lead him off to the bar since that's obviously more his speed.

Seriously, the car from star wars? At what IQ does Star Wars equal a movie about a car? I'm guessing negative twelve.

Thank you for that most excellent idea you gave me. What a perfect thing to say the next time someone yells A BTTF comment. "No you are thinking of something else, this is the car from Star Wars" :)

Tillsy
07-24-2012, 11:33 PM

The only relation is the DeLorean in Back To The Future made the same sound effects while driving as Luke's speeder in Star Wars.

vwdmc16
07-24-2012, 11:54 PM
I would require audio evidence to believe that statement. but strangely i cant find a sound clip of lukes speeder on Youtube.

ccurzio
07-25-2012, 10:50 AM
The only relation is the DeLorean in Back To The Future made the same sound effects while driving as Luke's speeder in Star Wars.

Yeah I'm also gonna call BS on this one.

Perhaps that's the stupid comment for today. :)

Jonathan
07-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Thank you for that most excellent idea you gave me. What a perfect thing to say the next time someone yells A BTTF comment. "No you are thinking of something else, this is the car from Star Wars" :)

Nice. I like that. And if you got the comment more than once at a car show or something, you could keep getting even more random.

"No, this is the car from The Wizard of Oz"

or, "No, this is the car from Gladiator"

D'oh!!

Tillsy
07-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Yeah I'm also gonna call BS on this one.

Perhaps that's the stupid comment for today. :)
Here's a scene from Mos Eisley in Star Wars - listen between 12 seconds and 21 seconds, then 55 and 1 minute 2 seconds. Luke's speeder has sounded this way for nearly 40 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yZp5hNjoIQ

Universal crack down on YouTube content big time so every clip from the BTTF movies is blocked, so here's an episode of the BTTF television series you can hear the DeLorean in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcUMAv2Rp0
Listen between 7 seconds and 10 seconds, 45 and 47 seconds. The BTTF DeLorean has sounded this way for nearly 30 years.

What word other than "identical" applies to those two sound effects :)

Dracula
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
My question is: "Who spent the time to do the research for such a comparison?"

dvonk
07-25-2012, 03:00 PM

interesting. just out of curiosity, anyone know if these are sound effects from the original, unmolested version... and are they in Lucas' "improved" version as well?

god knows he likes to change things that shouldnt be changed.

Ikeaboy1
07-25-2012, 03:08 PM
I'd have to hook up my VHS player to confirm, but I'm pretty sure the same sound elements were used in the original Episode 4.

Jonathan
07-25-2012, 04:26 PM

100% agree.

... and, in terms of who has the time to do such a comparison... that's funny, how many times could the same thing be said about the ludicrous amount of detail some of our hobbies and pasttimes have been done down to?

Kukem
07-25-2012, 05:00 PM
interesting. just out of curiosity, anyone know if these are sound effects from the original, unmolested version... and are they in Lucas' "improved" version as well?

god knows he likes to change things that shouldnt be changed.

Same sound effects. Just remastered for quality. I always thought they were very similar, but to be honest, Hollywood has been reusing sound effects for years. There is a now famous "yell" that appears in a lot of Lucas movies ( that I think came from some other movie but unsure) that has shown up in other movies. The most recent that I can remember was the A-Team when I watched that not long ago.

jawn101
07-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Same sound effects. Just remastered for quality. I always thought they were very similar, but to be honest, Hollywood has been reusing sound effects for years. There is a now famous "yell" that appears in a lot of Lucas movies ( that I think came from some other movie but unsure) that has shown up in other movies. The most recent that I can remember was the A-Team when I watched that not long ago.

Ah, the old Wilhelm Scream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

Tillsy
07-25-2012, 06:16 PM
My question is: "Who spent the time to do the research for such a comparison?"

I'm a big sic-fi fan who adores attention to detail, especially when they cross franchises. Something as simple as a half second Star Trek computer noise inserted into a Stargate episode as a nod to a guest star who used to be on Star Trek, the Millenium Falcon flying past in Blade Runner, E.T. appearing on the senate in Star Wars, a comment in Stargate that they "MacGyvered" a solution to a problem, etc are nice little easter eggs I enjoy :)

Karin
07-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I'd have never thought they would dub that sound from Star Wars and then BTTF.

Small kudos, I'd have to say. XD

justlooking
07-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Here's a scene from Mos Eisley in Star Wars - listen between 12 seconds and 21 seconds, then 55 and 1 minute 2 seconds. Luke's speeder has sounded this way for nearly 40 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yZp5hNjoIQ

Universal crack down on YouTube content big time so every clip from the BTTF movies is blocked, so here's an episode of the BTTF television series you can hear the DeLorean in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcUMAv2Rp0
Listen between 7 seconds and 10 seconds, 45 and 47 seconds. The BTTF DeLorean has sounded this way for nearly 30 years.

Accipiter ==>12125

vwdmc16
07-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Yes I tip my hat, You are correct.

DMCVegas
07-26-2012, 01:07 PM
I dunno, they don't sound the same to me. The pitch is different.

It is possible that ILM who did some of the Special Effects on the film may have chosen themselves to use the sound.

Fun Fact: Tango & Cash used the DeLorean Door Sound FX for the monster truck in that film. And I remember there were legal threats that arose because of that.

jawn101
07-26-2012, 01:20 PM
I dunno, they don't sound the same to me. The pitch is different.

It is possible that ILM who did some of the Special Effects on the film may have chosen themselves to use the sound.

Fun Fact: Tango & Cash used the DeLorean Door Sound FX for the monster truck in that film. And I remember there were legal threats that arose because of that.

The sound in the animated BTTF clip doesn't sound like the original movie. I queued up my DVD of part 1 in the Twin Pines parking lot and compared it to the land speeder clip provided - there really isn't much, if any difference. I could probably put down any variations to the speaker quality of my laptop vs my surround sound.

ccurzio
07-27-2012, 02:17 PM

"Similar".

Sorry, it's close but it isn't the same sound.

Stainless
08-14-2012, 01:51 PM
I was filling up with gas, which seems to be the most common place for me to get stupid comments, and a middle-aged guy walks over after filling up his SUV and asks, "As a DeLorean owner, you must know what the date was when they went into the future." I didn't know what to say, so I just said, "Of course." Then he asked, "What was the date?" I didn't know if he was referring to the date that they went to in the past, in the future, or the date in 1985 when all this took place, so I asked, "Do you mean the date in the future?" He said yes.

At this point, I was wondering if (a) this guy is genuinely wanting to know what the future date was, (b) trying to make himself superior than I for knowing the date, or (c) a weirdo that wanted to test my movie knowledge.

It turns out that it was a combination of (a) and (c). I didn't remember the date from the future, so I just said, "It was October 25, 2015." All he said was "Oh, okay," and then walked back to his car. It was weird. I should have just told him that I didn't know the future date. I wonder what his reaction would have been. If only...

nullset
08-14-2012, 01:54 PM
I was filling up with gas, which seems to be the most common place for me to get stupid comments, and a middle-aged guy walks over after filling up his SUV and asks, "As a DeLorean owner, you must know what the date was when they went into the future." I didn't know what to say, so I just said, "Of course." Then he asked, "What was the date?" I didn't know if he was referring to the date that they went to in the past, in the future, or the date in 1985 when all this took place, so I asked, "Do you mean the date in the future?" He said yes.

At this point, I was wondering if (a) this guy is genuinely wanting to know what the future date was, (b) trying to make himself superior than I for knowing the date, or (c) a weirdo that wanted to test my movie knowledge.

It turns out that it was a combination of (a) and (c). I didn't remember the date from the future, so I just said, "It was October 25, 2015." All he said was "Oh, okay," and then walked back to his car. It was weird. I should have just told him that I didn't know the future date. I wonder what his reaction would have been. If only...

Someone has been photoshopping the time circuits in the movie with various dates, and claiming 'THIS IS THE DAY THEY WENT TO IN BTTF!'. This has happened at least 3 times in the last few months. He was probably thinking those were genuine, or wanting you to tell him they were fake, but....yeah.

--buddy

Shep
08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Someone has been photoshopping the time circuits in the movie with various dates, and claiming 'THIS IS THE DAY THEY WENT TO IN BTTF!'. This has happened at least 3 times in the last few months. He was probably thinking those were genuine, or wanting you to tell him they were fake, but....yeah.

--buddyThis is the second year in a row it's happened. I vividly remember it happening last year and wondering how stupid people were... then it happened again. On a related note, while at the rehearsal dinner for the wedding I recently attended, I was sitting with family from Boston. My cousin had heard I got a DeLorean, but didn't know what it was. When I mentioned it was the car from BTTF, she said she hadn't watched those movies. I started explaining it's about time travel and yada yada "so in Part 1 they went from 1985 back to 1955, then in Part 2 they went to-"

At this point, my other cousin says "2012". I immediately knew she had seen the same thing that's been circulating the internet, so I simply continued: "2015, and in Part 3 they went back to 1885. First 30 years in the past, then 30 years in the future, then 100 years in the past." She didn't seem offended and (hopefully) took it as a learning opportunity. Maybe she heard it was in BTTF and came across that after googling "Back To The Future". Now there's two less people that'll be fooled next year.

As for the gas station guy, I have a feeling he had some snappy comeback for when Stainless said 2012, except he said 2015 and now the guy has to wait three years and hopes he sees another one to use the same comeback.

Michael
08-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Nobody really cares enough to fact check. It's just one of those things you forget in an hour. Remember what you were doing when the terminator date arrived? Me either.

Shep
08-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Remember what you were doing when the terminator date arrived?I am ashamed to admit I have never seen more than ten minutes of any Terminator movie, and thus didn't know there were any dates involved. :frown:

thirdmanj
08-14-2012, 08:43 PM
*Geek alert*

August, 29th 1997

"...it's gonna feel pretty fuckin' real to you too."

vwdmc16
08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Remember what you were doing when the terminator date arrived? Me either.

I still do, I was nine years old, living in Reno,nv and was at Hot August Nights show at the Peppermill Casino, I tugged at my brother's shirt and said " Hey you know today is Judgement day."
"what?"
"You know like they said in the Terminator movies"
" Oh yeah thats right, today is August 29th 1997"

We both shrugged and life went on. I felt a little more confident after that day that the world wasnt going to end just like that.

SIMid
08-14-2012, 09:18 PM
"It's that car from the future!!!" :rolleyes1:

Michael
08-14-2012, 09:20 PM
"It's that car from the future!!!" :rolleyes1:

I see your corny quote and raise you: "I'll be back...in time"

jafo2k
08-15-2012, 07:22 AM
19 Year Old: "Does it really time travel?"
Me: "Um.. yes"
19 Year Old: "Where are you going?"
Me: "Back 20 years to give your father a condom"

Morpheus
08-15-2012, 10:15 AM
19 Year Old: "Does it really time travel?"
Me: "Um.. yes"
19 Year Old: "Where are you going?"
Me: "Back 20 years to give your father a condom"

Awesome.

Victor
08-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Awesome.

Absolutely hilarous!

SIMid
08-15-2012, 07:20 PM
19 year old: "does it really time travel?"
me: "um.. Yes"
19 year old: "where are you going?"
me: "back 20 years to give your father a condom"

haha!

SIMid
08-15-2012, 07:21 PM
I also had on the weekend ....

"Hey mate, when are you going to paint it?"

vwdmc16
08-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Parked at the store, a young man was staring at me since I entered the parking lot. turn off the car, open the door, get out and lock the door and I hear him say

" Thats a cool ride!"

"Thanks"

"Still running?"

"Uhh.... yea?...."

SIMid
08-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Parked at the store, a young man was staring at me since I entered the parking lot. turn off the car, open the door, get out and lock the door and I hear him say

" Thats a cool ride!"

"Thanks"

"Still running?"

"Uhh.... yea?...."

What the?

Should had said ...

"Not at the moment. Know anyone who's got some plutonium to sell?"

jawn101
08-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Amazing how many times the 'does it run?' or 'do you drive it?' question makes it into the conversation. Always seems to happen when it would be obvious to a normal person that yes, it runs and I drive it... It wasn't built in this Safeway parking lot...

Some guy
08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
So i just get the D looking good, so i figured i would take it to this lander party. Who would like this car more then programmers and engineers.
Once they here i brought a Delorean, they wanted to see it. So i am showing it to them and i am talking to this girl and she goes " I don't think you will pick up any girls in this car". I just brushed it off as she then had her picture taken in the car. Then walked to the other side of the car and sat in the passenger seat. Again had her picture taken. Then sat there for a while commenting how comfortable the seat was, and how cool it was to be sitting in a Delorean.

good times

stevedmc
08-16-2012, 04:40 PM
So i just get the D looking good, so i figured i would take it to this lander party. Who would like this car more then programmers and engineers.
Once they here i brought a Delorean, they wanted to see it. So i am showing it to them and i am talking to this girl and she goes " I don't think you will pick up any girls in this car". I just brushed it off as she then had her picture taken in the car. Then walked to the other side of the car and sat in the passenger seat. Again had her picture taken. Then sat there for a while commenting how comfortable the seat was, and how cool it was to be sitting in a Delorean.

good times

She was still correct.

Shep
08-16-2012, 05:56 PM
She was still correct.:hysterical:

DeLorean03
08-16-2012, 09:01 PM
She was still correct.

No. She was wrong. I met my wifey with mine.

Shep
08-16-2012, 09:41 PM
No. She was wrong. I met my wifey with mine.Yeah, but we're in Ohio. He's in Burbank, California. When was the last time you saw a Bentley in Ohio outside of a dealership or car show? Maserati? Rolls Royce? I've never seen one in those conditions, but I've seen two different DeLoreans driving the same half mile stretch of road in the past two weeks alone. DeLoreans are standalone high class here. In Burbank, there's hefty competition.

DeLorean03
08-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Then I had it even easier as I met my wifey while we both still lived in Pensacola (:

mluder
08-17-2012, 05:46 AM

What... did you run her over or something? It's the Florence Nightingale effect...

Cheers.
Steve

thirdmanj
08-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Here's a good one...

I'm selling my car because I'm sick of Back to the Future ruining my love for the car.

stevedmc
08-17-2012, 11:54 AM

How?

Ron
08-17-2012, 12:28 PM
What... did you run her over or something? It's the Florence Nightingale effect...

Cheers.
Steve
:biggrin:

...I was trying to think of a tactful way to ask why he didn't tell her to sit on it.

Dangermouse
08-17-2012, 12:47 PM
I like that his photo is titled "girldelorean.jpg' and not "lovelywifeydelorean.jpg or something like that :)

DeLorean03
08-17-2012, 03:07 PM
How?

Back in Fall 2009, she and I were both in a class called "Engineer Economy." She was walking by me once class let out, and she and I were a couple of the last ones in the room. As she walked by, she asked "Excuse me, Jeremiah, are you the owner of the DeLorean I've seen on campus?" She asked me that because we had recently added one another on Facebook, and my car was in my profile picture. I answered that I was the owner, and we sat and talked about cars and various things for 4 hours that first night. The rest is history.

As for Jessica, she loves the car, and you CAN meet a girl owning a DeLorean. You just can't talk to a girl going: "Hey, so you know, uh, um, that car from like, that movie where the old man and young kid get in together and stop the young kid from doing it with his mom...? You know that, um, ah, car they time travel in? Well, uh, I GOT ONE!" You got to let them discover you own one. You go around announcing it to everyone, and they're going to think you're coming across as arrogant or needy for attention/approval.

stevedmc
08-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Back in Fall 2009, she and I were both in a class called "Engineer Economy."

Hmmm. I've been thinking about going back to college for this very reason.

Shep
08-17-2012, 06:19 PM
I like that his photo is titled "girldelorean.jpg' and not "lovelywifeydelorean.jpg or something like that :)Which also happens to be the same exact same filename as the one in Post 147 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?406-Girls-and-Deloreans&p=62920&viewfull=1#post62920) of the "Girls and DeLoreans" thread. :confused2:

Or so I'm told by, uh, an unnamed source... :umm:

12599Feet on the dashboard?! Obviously you have a happy marriage. Not everyone gets that privilege :wink:

Hmmm. I've been thinking about going back to college for this very reason.:hysterical:

Now is this to engineer your own personal economy, or the global one?

stevedmc
08-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Now is this to engineer your own personal economy, or the global one?

What are you talking about? I already have two degrees. I wasn't talking about going back to school for another one.

Shep
08-17-2012, 08:02 PM
What are you talking about? I already have two degrees. I wasn't talking about going back to school for another one.OH! I just got it. Sorry, I'm a little "slow" today, Friday night and all. Pardon the lapse of intelligence.

Stainless
08-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I got another "where's the flux capacitor" question the other day. I just shook my head and laughed, like I always do. This morning I was thinking about how I could react to that question when it happens next time, and I was inspired by David Spade in Black Sheep to say something like, "I have a flux capacitor right here," and then either pretend to get something out of the car or out of my pocket, and then flip them off. I don't think I could do that unless I was in a REALLY bad mood, but I think it would be awesome to see someone's reaction :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcufzXXaEoI

DeLorean03
08-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I got another "where's the flux capacitor" question the other day. I just shook my head and laughed, like I always do.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Flux Capacitor. The sheer satisfaction of pointing to it and going "It's right there." cannot be fully appreciated until you do it.

Rich W
08-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy a Flux Capacitor. The sheer satisfaction of pointing to it and going "It's right there." cannot be fully appreciated until you do it.

Better yet, if you have a Smart Phone or iPhone, buy one of the Flux Capacitor apps (much less expensive option).

When someone asks where the Flux Capacitor is, you just say "I don't need one any more; there's an App for that."

Dracula
08-20-2012, 08:24 PM

I wouldn't recommend this unless you want to supervise your car intensely anytime you go anywhere with it in. I had one in my car; back when I tried to play along with the jokes, and one individual spilled soda all over my driver's seat while trying to take a picture of it.

thirdmanj
08-20-2012, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't recommend this unless you want to supervise your car intensely anytime you go anywhere with it in. I had one in my car; back when I tried to play along with the jokes, and one individual spilled soda all over my driver's seat while trying to take a picture of it.

Really dude!? Fuck. WE GET IT!!!

You had "A" "singular" "ONE" shit expierience (Dracula: "well actually...blah blah"). Not because you had a FC prop, but because "soda spiller" was a douche and a klutz.

But now you're totally asking for it.

jawn101
08-20-2012, 09:27 PM
I had a good one the other day. Pulled into a parking lot and some meathead in an SUV pulls up behind me as my wife and I are about to close the doors and go into the store. He hollered out the window (activate Jersey Shore accent now) "HEY, WANNA SELL ME YOUR CAR?"

"No thanks..."

"OH. WHAT IS IT?"

It doesn't seem as stupid when you write it down. I guess you had to be there.... :)

Dracula
08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Really dude!? Fuck. WE GET IT!!!

You had "A" "singular" "ONE" shit expierience (Dracula: "well actually...blah blah"). Not because you had a FC prop, but because "soda spiller" was a douche and a klutz.

But now you're totally asking for it.

I wasn't saying that he SHOULDN'T; I was providing a warning that, if he does, he can expect people to lean into the car to snap pictures of it. I made the mistake of not watching my car at the time, hopefully nobody else will have the same problem. It can simply be remedied by keeping the doors closed, but if open; people will ignore the car to take a picture of the blinking box.

And, yes, it WAS because I had that prop. If I didn't have it, I can't imagine the guy would've been leaning in to take a picture of my parcel shelf.

Shep
08-20-2012, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend this unless you want to supervise your car intensely anytime you go anywhere with it in. I had one in my car; back when I tried to play along with the jokes, and one individual spilled soda all over my driver's seat while trying to take a picture of it.So that's why you can't stand BTTF.

Seriously, the same damn thing applies regardless of what object was in the car. It doesn't have to be a flux capacitor, it could be a run-of-the-mill DeLorean model with neons on it. Or it could be an aftermarket radio, perhaps with a TV screen playing Ice Age. Hell, it could be documentation you have in your trunk that someone found fascinating, perhaps a JZD signature or something saying it was used on some TV show or movie. Anything worth gawking over can make someone lean over enough to spill their drink. And it can happen to any car, even an Edsel.

EDIT:

And, yes, it WAS because I had that prop.No, it was because you had a prop. It's not limited to Flux Capacitors :rolleyes1:

(activate Jersey Shore accent now) "HEY, WANNA SELL ME YOUR CAR?"

"No thanks..."

"OH. WHAT IS IT?"

It doesn't seem as stupid when you write it down. I guess you had to be there.... :):giggle: Please tell me I'm not the only one picturing "The Situation" being the one to ask you that. Seems about right for him.

thirdmanj
08-20-2012, 10:02 PM
I wasn't saying that he SHOULDN'T; I was providing a warning that, if he does, he can expect people to lean into the car to snap pictures of it. I made the mistake of not watching my car at the time, hopefully nobody else will have the same problem. It can simply be remedied by keeping the doors closed, but if open; people will ignore the car to take a picture of the blinking box.

And, yes, it WAS because I had that prop. If I didn't have it, I can't imagine the guy would've been leaning in to take a picture of my parcel shelf.

Nope, your being a child. It was the guys fault.

babyd217
08-20-2012, 10:53 PM
was at the gas station this past weekend and was wearing my delorean motor company tshirt and the guy asked me if I owned a D and I replied no but I'm hopeful. He said "you may wanna be careful with that, heard they can make a druggy outta ya!" Wanted to reach over and slap him in the face.....

Shep
08-20-2012, 11:10 PM
was at the gas station this past weekend and was wearing my delorean motor company tshirt and the guy asked me if I owned a D and I replied no but I'm hopeful. He said "you may wanna be careful with that, heard they can make a druggy outta ya!" Wanted to reach over and slap him in the face.....I would've said "That same crackhead told me your [insert his car here] has some drugs stashed with the spare tire." He'd probably laugh it off, but I give it a 50% chance that he's gullible and/or paranoid enough to check when he gets home just to make sure.

babyd217
08-21-2012, 07:41 AM
I would've said "That same crackhead told me your [insert his car here] has some drugs stashed with the spare tire." He'd probably laugh it off, but I give it a 50% chance that he's gullible and/or paranoid enough to check when he gets home just to make sure.

AHH!!! Really wish I had said this now!!! That would have been pure gold for my brain's humorous side to sit there and wonder if he actually went home and checked!

Sidaries
08-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Buying a Flux Capacitor is expensive and it is too big to always take it with you So there is a cost effective version of it. This:

You print it out, show it to the asker saying: "I just fell from a chair and hit my head and draw this" and voila. The asker is happy.

thirdmanj
08-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Buying a Flux Capacitor is expensive and it is too big to always take it with you So there is a cost effective version of it. This:

You print it out, show it to the asker saying: "I just fell from a chair and hit my head and draw this" and voila. The asker is happy.

YEEEAAAHHSSS!!. I'm so gonna do this! Epic win dude.

DeLorean03
08-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Ok, I just want to make sure I get this. Some - in fact - a good number of people will pay $175.00 for a flux capacitor lock-box door, but $250 for a full-size flux capacitor big enough to sit between the seats is too much...? And yes, the $250 ones don't hold a candle to the really nice ones at $500, but I have taken my car with FC to a LOT of cruise-ins and some car shows, and let me tell you right now - NO ONE can tell the difference between the $250 and the $500 one. And the look on people's faces when they see it is worth it. It helps derail that hideously banal joke, and it makes people's nights - sometimes they take more pictures of just the FC than they do of the actual car.

I'm just saying $75 more dollars and you got a full size FC. Ok, got that observation out of the way. Now....

Better yet, if you have a Smart Phone or iPhone, buy one of the Flux Capacitor apps (much less expensive option).

When someone asks where the Flux Capacitor is, you just say "I don't need one any more; there's an App for that."

Verizon sucks - their app I've tried to download twice. Still doesn't work - just now tried to install it :(.

I am with my car 95% of any cruise-in or show I go. It's just my nature.

Got that too actually. The FC that lights up lights people's eyes up a lot more.

DL4567
08-22-2012, 02:25 AM
I've had a "bttf panel" with flux capacitor on the parcel shelf since a week after getting my car in 2004. Not a single drop of soda has ever been spilled in it. And I've displayed the car at many car shows over the years, with the doors open.

But yeah, supervising your car, flux or no flux is a 100% must.

Dangermouse
08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
So what do you say to the classic Mini owner who has a Flux Capacitor?

thirdmanj
08-22-2012, 08:43 AM

Italian Job to the Future?

dvonk
08-22-2012, 03:18 PM

"There goes the back seat."

sdg3205
09-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Went out for dinner last night at Moxies with the wife.

As we're getting out of the car, a bunch of teenagers smoking outside a pick-up truck in the parking lot yell "Welcome to 2011!"

my wife (katie) "Preeeeeeety sure it's 2012 there boys."

Wise-ass joke FAIL.

DMC3165
09-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Here's a new one. At a recent car show, two older guys were walking past my car. Both in their late 50's early 60's. This show I was at was a nicer high end show featuring exotics and rare cars. Not just muscle cars. Anyway as the two guys come up on my car, guy one turns to guy two and says "That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen" To which guy two responds "Yeah and its a giant piece of shit too, what a debocile these things were" Not realizing I was sitting behind the car I jumped out of my chair and started to approach them. But seeing I was a little annoyed they both hurried off.

I guess its true what they say either you love 'em or you hate 'em :headscratch:

cybercusp
09-15-2012, 09:14 AM
I was advised yesterday that the gullwing door design was selected so that in a rollover, with the car resting on its roof, you could open the door thereby jacking up the car slightly and effect an egress. HA! So, I got THAT going for me. Which is nice.

Shep
09-15-2012, 09:50 AM
I was advised yesterday that the gullwing door design was selected so that in a rollover, with the car resting on its roof, you could open the door thereby jacking up the car slightly and effect an egress. HA! So, I got THAT going for me. Which is nice.Even with that logic, wouldn't normal doors work better since they open without having to lift those thousand pounds a gullwing does? :8ball:

And anyways, there's a reason the Mercedes SLS AMG has explosive bolts and bell cranks to separate the doors when it detects a rollover.