PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

DeLorean03
09-15-2012, 11:48 AM
I was advised yesterday that the gullwing door design was selected so that in a rollover, with the car resting on its roof, you could open the door thereby jacking up the car slightly and effect an egress. HA! So, I got THAT going for me. Which is nice.

Supposedly, that is true. Personally, with my car on its roof and the fact it would be totaled at that point, I'd just kick the windshield out.

DL4567
09-15-2012, 12:27 PM
If I had a dollar for every time I've been in a rollover accident...... gah! so annoying!

Shep
09-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Supposedly, that is true. Personally, with my car on its roof and the fact it would be totaled at that point, I'd just kick the windshield out.The side window is probably a better choice, as discussed here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3646-Can-our-windshields-really-be-kicked-out). Windshield's tempered and at a steep angle, whereas the side glass can be easily shattered.

pezzonovante88
09-15-2012, 08:43 PM
So, I got THAT going for me. Which is nice.

HA! Caddyshack reference. Nice:giggle:

SIMid
09-16-2012, 11:53 PM
This is getting frustrating ...........

"So did you build it?"

"What do you mean?"

"It's a kit car right?"

*thinking of slapping the questioner*

"No, it's manufactured in a factory. Doc Brown built his into a time machine, you must be confused."

A few have asked if it was a kit car now. Piss me off!! And it's not BTTF related either!

vwdmc16
09-17-2012, 12:13 AM
I honestly want to see a "kit car" Delorean just to know what these asshats are talking about. Ive looked before and couldn't find any pics of a "kit" DMC.

Tillsy
09-17-2012, 01:07 AM
If I remember correctly, Doc Brown's second DeLorean could fold up into a suitcase - but still doesn't make it 'kit'...

Cory W
09-17-2012, 07:49 AM

"So did you build it?"

"What do you mean?"

"It's a kit car right?"

"No, it's manufactured in a factory. Doc Brown built his into a time machine, you must be confused."

A few have asked if it was a kit car now. Piss me off!! And it's not BTTF related either!

I've had this one. My reply: "By the time you source all the Stainless panels individually, you may as well buy a real one."

DMC3165
09-17-2012, 08:19 AM

"So did you build it?"

"What do you mean?"

"It's a kit car right?"

I have been getting the kit comments as well. They are pretty frequent too. It is annoying but its giving me s business idea.:tongue:

DeLorean03
09-17-2012, 12:25 PM
What is probably happening is people are hearing about DMCH's cars and how they "tear down and piece together" a brand new DeLorean and translate that as "kit car."

When people do that with me, I just state there are no "kit cars", and when someone is bold enough to try me I explain the differences between a kit car, refurbished, and new build DeLoreans. Most of the time, people realize their mistake and drop it.

ccurzio
09-17-2012, 12:53 PM
What is probably happening is people are hearing about DMCH's cars and how they "tear down and piece together" a brand new DeLorean and translate that as "kit car."

In my experience, it's been that most people who ask those kinds of questions simply didn't know the DeLorean was a real car.

Dangermouse
09-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I wonder how much entertainment you could garner by telling them about how difficult the sheets of stainless (that came with the 'kit') were to shape - "took me 6 months just to do the fenders"

kajcienski
09-17-2012, 01:16 PM
I got my first "is that a kit car?" comment yesterday by 3 policeman that stopped me going through an NYC toll booth to take pictures. They said the exact same thing, "I didn't realize it was a real car". They were cool though and learned something new.

Sidaries
09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I never had kit-car comments. Lots of flux capacitor and aluminium, but no kit-car.
People are different here.

Michael
09-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Speaking of Kit car comments...had a guy ask me at an auto parts store once(he was with a small group so he wanted to look smart) "Hey is that a Chevy or Ford chassis"? I was confused as I didn't put it together at first and I replied it's a DeLorean. He asked again, Chevy or Ford so I just said "Lotus" and left him even more puzzled.

Rhsxo
09-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Could you technically build a "kit car" DeLorean if you bought each individual part from DMCH, assembled it and (not having a VIN) take it to your local DMV and register it as a kit car?

refugeefromcalif
09-18-2012, 09:23 PM
I had my first kit car comment today.
Stopped to fill the tank, get some beer and ended up outside chatting with a very nice Knowledgeable car enthusiast.
Another guy walks by, looks and asks, "Is that a Real one or the kit version?" I replied that it's indeed Real, and that I'd never heard of a kit version of one Ever being offered.
He proceeds to tell me a story about a kit DeLorean that he saw back in the early 80's that had a Volkswagen engine and was a piece of Crap, (as far as he was concerned). ???
Long story short, He took another look at my grill (and a Peek inside), and say's, "OK, I believe yours is a Real one, not the kit." Then left.
Knowledgeable car guy just Shakes his head, and we go back to talking.

I've only had mine a week now but, What did I just get myself into???

George

BTW, I Love my new car! :)

Michael
09-18-2012, 09:36 PM
.....and say's, "OK, I believe yours is a Real one, not the kit."
The appropriate response to that is "Imagine my relief"

Chris Burns
09-18-2012, 09:41 PM
I had my first kit car comment today.
Stopped to fill the tank, get some beer and ended up outside chatting with a very nice Knowledgeable car enthusiast.
Another guy walks by, looks and asks, "Is that a Real one or the kit version?" I replied that it's indeed Real, and that I'd never heard of a kit version of one Ever being offered.
He proceeds to tell me a story about a kit DeLorean that he saw back in the early 80's that had a Volkswagen engine and was a piece of Crap, (as far as he was concerned). ???
Long story short, He took another look at my grill (and a Peek inside), and say's, "OK, I believe yours is a Real one, not the kit." Then left.
Knowledgeable car guy just Shakes his head, and we go back to talking.

I've only had mine a week now but, What did I just get myself into???

George

BTW, I Love my new car! :)

Deloreans seem to bring out the craziest people sometimes. I have had people say "yours must be of one of the few left, because most of the were destroyed in BTTF". :dead: I have heard the "kit car" comments a few times. People just don't pay attention to cars much.

Shep
09-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Could you technically build a "kit car" DeLorean if you bought each individual part from DMCH, assembled it and (not having a VIN) take it to your local DMV and register it as a kit car?The problem with that is that DMCH doesn't have every part. LFF's, brake calipers, frames, and a bunch of others I'm sure I'm missing. No vendor does; the "missing" parts only come from parted-out D's or for some (such as brake calipers), from completely different kinds of cars.

That being said, if you sourced all the missing parts yourself, then I suppose you could, but... why?

deloumis
09-20-2012, 02:33 AM
That being said, if you sourced all the missing parts yourself, then I suppose you could, but... why?

So somebody can finally answer, "It's the kit version"

thirdmanj
09-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Yes, it's a KITT....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/20/y5e7uzut.jpg

ccurzio
09-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Yes, it's a KITT....

In the words of Marty McFly... "Son of a bitch stole my idea!"

SIMid
09-20-2012, 07:54 PM
McKnight

DL4567
09-21-2012, 02:53 AM
In the words of Marty McFly... "Son of a bitch stole my idea!"

I can vouch for this. Chris was talking about doing exactly that at lunch on Wednesday.

Also, is that thing for real!?!?!?

Dangermouse
09-21-2012, 07:07 AM
No, it's a photoshop based off another photoshop.

Dangermouse
09-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Correcting that previous post

Actually the black painted one is the original.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/10/31/11/57/pic-3419694860658551505.jpeg

I remembered that it was involved in a photoshop parody, but it was actually the donor photo, resulting in this:

http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=2929

Mark D
09-21-2012, 01:24 PM
That is one sexy black DeLorean.

... and just an additional note: that the photoshop above used a photo of the Jay Ohrberg replica at universal CA for the time machine bits.

Shep
09-22-2012, 02:56 PM
I was at a dealership today to pick up a car my Dad bought (and decide to trade in my Mom's car for another). My parents had been to this dealership earlier this week, and mentioned to a few guys that I had a DeLorean. This evidently intrigued some of them, who were interested. So today I went to that dealership to bring the car home, and while there, a salesman walked up to greet us, and said "So you're the one with the DeLorean?" I replied "Yup." Then he said "There's only a few of them left, aren't there?"

I knew he was being nice and showing he was impressed, so I simply said "Yeah" instead of pointing out there's over 7,000 still around. I wasn't going to be a dick or anything, so I let it slide. Still though, 7,000 isn't "a few" in my book.

ccurzio
09-22-2012, 03:32 PM
I was at a dealership today to pick up a car my Dad bought (and decide to trade in my Mom's car for another). My parents had been to this dealership earlier this week, and mentioned to a few guys that I had a DeLorean. This evidently intrigued some of them, who were interested. So today I went to that dealership to bring the car home, and while there, a salesman walked up to greet us, and said "So you're the one with the DeLorean?" I replied "Yup." Then he said "There's only a few of them left, aren't there?"

I knew he was being nice and showing he was impressed, so I simply said "Yeah" instead of pointing out there's over 7,000 still around. I wasn't going to be a dick or anything, so I let it slide. Still though, 7,000 isn't "a few" in my book.

That's not a stupid comment at all when you consider the manufacturing numbers for most other cars. 8000 is certainly a "few" when most companies manufacture their cars in from the hundreds of thousands into the millions.

Shep
09-22-2012, 06:05 PM
That's not a stupid comment at all when you consider the manufacturing numbers for most other cars. 8000 is certainly a "few" when most companies manufacture their cars in from the hundreds of thousands into the millions.Maybe it's just perception, but to me "a few" is no more than one thousand or so. There's "a few" Tuckers. There's "a few" Veyrons. Averaging over 100 in every US state (even adjusting for foreign D's) doesn't seem particularly rare. Just unique. My two cents, anyways.

DMCVegas
09-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Deloreans seem to bring out the craziest people sometimes.

You have no idea. My strangest encounter was with a homeless guy while I was filling up who thought I was an alien and wanted me to take him home. He only left me alone when I told him I'd be back later for him.

Most of my strange encounters seem to always happen at gas stations.

Spittybug
10-10-2012, 02:48 PM
+1 on the gas stations.

Today, while at Chevron, Tommy-the-toothless redneck vagrant comes up to me as I'm filling the car. The first words out of his mouth were "Where is the flux capacitator?" (and we've all been foolishly thinking they were flux capacitors....) I quickly responded that I ordered mine without that particular option and this look of confusion comes across his face and he slithers off back to his one-eyed (not kidding, pirate patch) buddy at the side of the Quicky Mart.

In the spirit of not being too judgmental, it is indeed possible that he was a totally upstanding, highly educated individual that was merely posing in order to conduct research for his doctoral degree. Unlikely, but always a possibility.

SIMid
10-10-2012, 08:47 PM
You have no idea. My strangest encounter was with a homeless guy while I was filling up who thought I was an alien and wanted me to take him home. He only left me alone when I told him I'd be back later for him.

LOL! Classic!

MML
10-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Yes, it's a KITT....

That reminds me, I saw this in town the other week:

http://i.imgur.com/P466G.jpg

SIMid
10-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Another car I want since my childhood ........

Dangermouse
10-10-2012, 09:33 PM

I'm sure it didn't look out of place in the slightest :)

MML
10-11-2012, 03:55 AM
I'm sure it didn't look out of place in the slightest :)

I think they're all used to bizarre vehicles driving around by now, with me in the D and all :-P

The owner of that car also has an A-Team van, and his brother has a Starsky & Hutch Gran Torino!

opethmike
10-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Stopped at a gas station today to pick up a soda. Guy comes up to me and asks to hear my DeLorean. So I start it up. He comments with this jewel: "Yo, your DeLorean sounds gangster AS FUCK!!!"

cybercusp
10-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Stopped at a gas station today to pick up a soda. Guy comes up to me and asks to hear my DeLorean. So I start it up. He comments with this jewel: "Yo, your DeLorean sounds gangster AS FUCK!!!"

Snoop dog.

Dangermouse
10-14-2012, 12:00 AM

*gangsta

Would make a great bumper sticker :)

stevedmc
10-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Stupid comment of the day:

What's that connected to your stick shift?

Notifier
10-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Drove the DeLorean up to Target yesterday for a little bit of shopping. It was parked at the end of the isle closest to the store (you couldn't miss it if you were driving through there) so naturally there was a little crowd around her. By the time I got close all but one guy and his girlfriend were still standing there. I could have sworn I heard him tell his girlfriend "you see those little windows (referring to the toll booth windows), they are removable.". Then when I get up there of course I get the whole cool car, can I take a picture, etc. Then he tells me "you know John Delorean doesn't have the rights to these anymore". Yea, no s**t Sherlock, he's dead!

painterdave72
10-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Took mine out this morn to run some errands and get a haircut etc.. when i leave the barbers one of the ladys says.. is that a Delorean?? Those are more popular in California.. i was like okay thanks.. lol..

Shep
10-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Stupid comment of the day:

What's that connected to your stick shift?I'll be honest, I'd be asking the same exact question if I hadn't have read elsewhere that you hooked up a bicycle shift cable to your carburetor throttle switch as a, and I quote, "redneck cruise control". It's a great idea, actually, but I've never seen or heard of any other setups like that as of yet (although I'm sure they exist somewhere).

SIMid
10-14-2012, 07:10 PM
At a car show yesterday ..........

"Check it out!! It's got a Compacitator!!!"

Spittybug
10-14-2012, 07:55 PM
That's just plain stupidity. Go up a few posts and you'll see that it is a Capacitator, not a Compacitator. Don't you just HATE ignorance? :mallet:

SIMid
10-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Don't you just HATE ignorance? :mallet:

They should think before blaring comments out like that. Comical, but kind of frustrating to hear. I don't like to correct people, but I had to as he was having a good laugh about it.

Still got heaps of comments about the car being aluminium, having a clear coat, owner must had forgot to paint it, if I had one, I'll deck it out with all the fusion shit, etc.

And I had an A3 laminated spec sheet stuck on the windshield which they didn't bother to read it BEFORE commenting incorrect facts.

Jimmyvonviggle
10-14-2012, 08:13 PM
They should think before blaring comments out like that. Comical, but kind of frustrating to hear. I don't like to correct people, but I had to as he was having a good laugh about it.

Still got heaps of comments about the car being aluminium, having a clear coat, owner must had forgot to paint it, if I had one, I'll deck it out with all the fusion shit, etc.

And I had an A3 laminated spec sheet stuck on the windshield which they didn't bother to read it BEFORE commenting incorrect facts.

You are assuming they can read.

SIMid
10-14-2012, 08:16 PM
You are assuming they can read.

*LMAO*

You could be on to something there. Some didn't look too bright between the ears.

The_Reverend
10-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Made of brushed Aluminum! Right?

SMH

The_Reverend
10-30-2012, 12:11 PM

ArthurCaverly
10-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Yeah i've gotten the kit car bullshit a few times...

But the other day I was driving through an intersection when some toothless vagrant in the passenger seat in a vehicle to my left starts yelling to me. I tried to ignore him but he kept yelling until I put the window down. The following conversation ensued...

"You wanna gas that up for me when you're done?" he said with what I think was a smile.
"Heh!" I fake laughed and started to put the window up.
"I ain't seen a Dalairian in years." He said as the window was about half way up.
I stopped the window. "Really? I've never seed a Dalairian."
As the light turned green, he started to say something else as I sped away, giggling to myself.

Shep
10-31-2012, 07:06 PM
the other day I was driving through an intersection when some toothless vagrant in the passenger seat in a vehicle to my left starts yelling to me. I tried to ignore him but he kept yelling until I put the window down. The following conversation ensued...

"You wanna gas that up for me when you're done?" he said with what I think was a smile.
"Heh!" I fake laughed and started to put the window up.
"I ain't seen a Dalairian in years." He said as the window was about half way up.
I stopped the window. "Really? I've never seed a Dalairian."
As the light turned green, he started to say something else as I sped away, giggling to myself.You have to admit, it is better and more original than the ever-present "where's the flux capacitor?" joke. Although strangely I have heard that pronunciation before...

Timebender
10-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Yes, it's a KITT....

No, it's a photoshop based off another photoshop.

You can tell as the flux bands, cables, etc aren't reflecting off the nice glossy paint.

ALWAYS when photoshopping, make sure you don't miss a single detail, even down to the smallest most inconspicuous one...

Dracula
10-31-2012, 07:17 PM
What's with photoshopping BTTF things onto pictures of DeLoreans? Is it really necessary?

timothymoore
10-31-2012, 07:25 PM
are you really whining about it? who cares man. dont you have something better to do that ask "is it necessary?"

Dracula
10-31-2012, 07:33 PM
are you really whining about it?

I'm asking how it's relevant to a Knight Rider Kitt joke.

timothymoore
10-31-2012, 07:35 PM
who cares man, move on to something else a little more constructive.

ccurzio
10-31-2012, 07:42 PM
What's with photoshopping BTTF things onto pictures of DeLoreans? Is it really necessary?

Yes, it is absolutely necessary.

Jimmyvonviggle
10-31-2012, 07:56 PM

Hey it's better than this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_bdAm1Ji7Lk

Dracula
10-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Yes, it is absolutely necessary.

I get the KITT joke, but why include BTTF?

ccurzio
10-31-2012, 08:13 PM
I get the KITT joke, but why include BTTF?

So you're actually going to be hard-headed enough and full of so much derision that you can't possibly understand how BTTF is more closely related to a DeLorean than Knight Rider? And how piling multiple 80s icons into one picture makes it funny? Hell, I was joking about doing exactly this (except adding a ghostbusters logo on the doors) like a year ago.

Just stop, dude. This shit you're doing? It's getting really sad.

Shep
10-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Are we really arguing about a post (#522 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?271-Stupid-Delorean-Comment-Of-the-Day&p=74593&viewfull=1#post74593)) made on September 20th, over a month ago, when each and every participant in this argument has posted in this thread at least once since then?! :eek7: Jesus guys, it was 41 days, 42 posts, and 4 pages ago. Lighten up.

SIMid
10-31-2012, 09:07 PM
At another car show over the weekend and was stading at a distance from my car.

A bloke walks past with his partner and gazes at the Delorean and says to his partner.

"A Delorean, ........ if I had one, I'll pimp it like a Time Machine, was a waste of a car."

I enjoyed the movies, but I actually found it offensive. Maybe I'm protective over my vehicle?

I should had said to him "Do it and drill holes all over the panels and then, come back to me."

Shep
10-31-2012, 10:18 PM
"A Delorean, ........ if I had one, I'll pimp it like a Time Machine, was a waste of a car."Asinine comments like that really irk me. Is a '65 Chrysler Imperial a "waste of a car" if it doesn't have green headlights and dual flip-up Gatling guns? Is a '71 Mustang Mach I a "waste of a car" because it doesn't have a stowaway missles, an ejector seat, rocket boosters, and a flamethrower on it? Is a '59 Cadillac a "waste of a car" without a bunch of ghost-hunting shit on the roof? No, no, and no. Next time I hear that crap, I'm going right up to guy and telling him to screw off -- if he thinks it's a "waste", he can go buy one himself and do the damn conversion to "save" it from demented ideals. Don't be an asshole about it because someone wants it stock.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good BTTF conversion, but this whole concept that DeLoreans are supposedly pieces of shit if they're not time machines is pure bullshit.

r00b
10-31-2012, 11:16 PM
I was at a gas station and A guy asked me if the doors work.
I'm thinking, how do you think I got out of the car. I smiled and said yes.
He then tells me the doors often stop working in these cars and that people put regular hinges on them.

wow.

kajcienski
10-31-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't mind questios at all if they are genuine, and actually enjoy very much talking with people about the car and history. But living in NYC, I always get guys who lock me into a lecture about the stats of my own car. 2 days ago I got trapped by a guy who began with "Is this your car?" 'yes' "You know they only built about 9,000 of these" 'yes' "and did you know they have what is called a PRV engine?" 'yes' "you know they still have parts for these" 'yes' Etc... etc... He basically told me everything including how to turn on my headlights. He was a super nice guy, but I don't understand how someone can think that a person who owns a car like we do would think we know nothing. But most people are great.

The_Reverend
11-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Someone posted this on my wall today, hilarious story.

Dangermouse
11-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Psychiatrists waiting room, obviously

thirdmanj
11-02-2012, 01:27 PM

I hope that guy embarrassed the hell out of him.

pezzonovante88
11-02-2012, 07:02 PM

Dear Lord that's so brutal. Why do people have to lie about stupid shit like that. I mean, if you're going to lie, at least know something about what you're lying about.
Or he was just delusional.

ssaleen
11-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Lol that's awesome, I had one just like that the other day when I took my car to a theater that was showing bttf.
He comes up to me and says he has a bttf car he was stripping down and putting a Cadillac North Star motor in it. I was thinkin how the hell is that even gonna fit, but I didn't say anything because who knows maybe he will figure it out. It was untill he said that D's all came with 4 cylinders and that's when I called bullshit. I said no they all had 6 cylinders, then he wanted to argue with me about it. The. He walked away..

DeLorean03
11-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I remember I used to entertain people's BS, but then they get all toe-to-toe with you about it. NOW, when they try it, I flat out state one or more of the following: "No" "You're wrong" "That's absolutely incorrect" "Well, that sure would be great if what you're saying was either actually right or true." "Where TF did you hear something like that?" or "Did you hear that from someone who owns a DeLorean? Because if they didn't, you are being played for a sucker."

I make it VERY obviously VERY quickly "Hey, I own the car you're oogling at, pal. DO NOT try my knowledge." I have noticed that NO ONE tries me now.

And don't get me wrong, I am not an a$$hole to people - QUITE the opposite. I am very soft-spoken and outgoing to people that love the car and are super-excited to see it. But man, when some grey-haired fart as PepBoys wants to tell me about MY CAR, watch out.

Here's a good one from today: 3 hillybilly guys come walking up to me (I'm from Florabama - I say "hillbilly" to describe them, not to belittle).

him: "You looking to sell it??"

me: "Maybe"

him: "How much you want?"

me: "How much you got?"

him: "Not much"

me: "Yeah, you prolly won't want to know my price tag. I'll ask something crazy like Dodge Viper price territory. But there's 2 reasons I would: 1. I know it runs and 2. I did nearly all the work to get it that way."

I could tell he felt stung, but I figured that will be that, and we can continue the discussion about the car.

We continue to make small talk regarding the restoration of the car, and I guess he wanted to try to save face in front of his friends with this one:

"Yeah, when I was asking you how much you wanted, I figured I was going to offer you $1000 for it."

To which I quickly fired back:

"$1000 will buy you one of the doors - bare metal with no wiring, mechanical parts, mirrors, or trim. Is that what you're ready to spend for it ?"

That pretty much finished up that conversation.

Nicholas R
11-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Lol that's awesome, I had one just like that the other day when I took my car to a theater that was showing bttf.
He comes up to me and says he has a bttf car he was stripping down and putting a Cadillac North Star motor in it. I was thinkin how the hell is that even gonna fit, but I didn't say anything because who knows maybe he will figure it out. It was untill he said that D's all came with 4 cylinders and that's when I called bullshit. I said no they all had 6 cylinders, then he wanted to argue with me about it. The. He walked away..

Not to give this guy any credibility but a Northstar engine will fit. I assume it fits about as we'll as my LS1 but it has been done before. I originally planned on doing the Northstar engine until I realized how much better the LS1 engine is. Biggest advantage of the northstar is that they are a dime a dozen, usually less than 1/3 the cost of the LS. Tons of vehicles with them and the engines are usually less that $1000. (Somewhere around here I have a bunch of photos collected of the Northstar DMC.

Still sounds like the guy you were talking to was nuts though.

Ron
11-03-2012, 02:07 AM

14473He bought a Fierro....

SIMid
11-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Attended a local car show on Sunday and the Mrs and I overheard a guy talk to his mate.

"A fake Delorean, this isn't the real thing."

My Mrs laughed and I started to glow red.

Mrs says to me, "Can't he tell it's SS?"

"Obviously not. He's never seen a Delorean, let alone, anything in SS."

Are people really that stupid? Must have been Dumber and Dumber checking out my car.

DeLorean03
11-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Man, you guys have the worst luck I swear. I really and truly can't remember the last time someone said anything mean about my car. Just today, had 2 people want pictures with it, had a girl that looked in her early-mid 20's come up and love the car, had another couple come up to me asking about the car, and had 1-2 others come up and say nothing but nice things/polite questions.

I dunno - maybe after 9 years, my "initiation period" is finally over :D!!!!

Whoops - scrolled up the page and was reminded about an incident from last month. Oh well, the good WAY outweigh the bad!

SIMid
11-19-2012, 06:51 PM
But you know what really grinds me? My neice.

She came over on the weekend and I've had my D for a year and a half and she has not seen it. Briefly heard I had one but her comment was "A what?" She's never watched BTTF and she's 21.
Thought, doesn't matter, when she sees the car, she will get blown away by the "WOW!" factor.
So I had it out of the garage in the driveway and she comes over and straight into the house. "Did you see the Delorean?" "The what?" "The car in the driveway." "Was there a car?" Took her out to have another look and she just looks puzzled. Open the doors and she goes "That's pretty cool. I'll take some pics for my BF as he may know what it is." She walks straight back into the house.

Mind you, she thinks her Toyota Corolla is THE best car in the world. Yeah, whatever ..........

Shep
11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
had a girl that looked in her early-mid 20's come up and love the carDid you get her number? I know you're married, but I'm still on the market!

(Only kidding, although I so would've taken that somewhere had that happened to me :tongue: )

My neice [...] came over on the weekend and I've had my D for a year and a half and she has not seen it. Briefly heard I had one but her comment was "A what?" She's never watched BTTF and she's 21.
Thought, doesn't matter, when she sees the car, she will get blown away by the "WOW!" factor.
So I had it out of the garage in the driveway and she comes over and straight into the house. "Did you see the Delorean?" "The what?" "The car in the driveway." "Was there a car?" Took her out to have another look and she just looks puzzled. Open the doors and she goes "That's pretty cool. I'll take some pics for my BF as he may know what it is." She walks straight back into the house.

Mind you, she thinks her Toyota Corolla is THE best car in the world. Yeah, whatever ..........I've got a feeling she's one of those types that can't tell a Corvair from a LaSalle, and is only interested in the "modern" cars. Maybe you should give her the BTTF blu-ray pack for Christmas this year :wink:

DeLorean03
11-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Women, for the most part, do NOT care about cars.

Now girls, on the other hand, they do care about what you drive. I make that sharp contrast because if a girl notices what you drive and is more into your car than you - watch out. Might be a 1 night thing, or it could be someone looking for a free ride.

Whereas women may admire your car, or they may not care less. Simply put, women want something reliable that gets them from A to B - they don't care if it says "Zonda" or "Ascari" on it, and it doesn't have to have a bull or a black horse on it to get their attention. They just want reliable transportation.

That's 95% of the time - true. Then there are very few, select women that ARE into cars, but most of them get so blasted by the male population on the internet that they "lay low" and don't make it known for fear of being the center of attention, very unnecessarily criticized just because of their gender, or constantly pandered to - where they just want to fit in and talk with the rest of the "car guys".

Anyways, enough of that. I'm guilty of going :offtopic2:.

Shep
11-19-2012, 10:23 PM
if a girl notices what you drive and is more into your car than you - watch out. Might be a 1 night thing, or it could be someone looking for a free ride.And why is there a problem with this...? :confused0:

kajcienski
11-20-2012, 09:20 AM
On the quick subject of women and cars from the previous post - I surprised my 12 year old niece yesterday by picking her up from school in the D (she didn't know I was even passing through town). Whereas the other kids looked in awe (too young for most all to know BTTF), she couldn't get in the car fast enough and drive away in embarrassment. However when her father pulls up in his half restored 79 vette, no issues. I don't get it. I guess this is suburban North Carolina for ya! ;) (just say'in...)

Stainless
12-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Today I went to Les Schwab to talk to them about an alignment and the guy looks out the window to see the car and says, "It's a GMC chassis, right?" I said, "No, it's DMC, as in DeLorean."

I also asked them to check the rear toe, but not to adjust it with generic shims if it needs adjusting because I have special shims for it. He then looks at me and asks, "Why would you ever buy a car like that?!" Ok, dude. Because I have special shims for my car, that should disqualify it from me wanting to purchase it? I didn't know what to say, so I just looked at him and said, "Why wouldn't I?" He then asked if it was the car that Michael J. Fox drove. He was very nice and helpful apart from those stupid comments.

Aside from that, I was happily surprised that they have the car alignment specs in their system. I have had great alignment experiences with this particular location in years past on my Jeep, so I believe I have found the shop to perform the alignment on the D!

Shep
12-22-2012, 12:40 AM
I also asked them to check the rear toe, but not to adjust it with generic shims if it needs adjusting because I have special shims for it. He then looks at me and asks, "Why would you ever buy a car like that?!" Ok, dude. Because I have special shims for my car, that should disqualify it from me wanting to purchase it? I didn't know what to say, so I just looked at him and said, "Why wouldn't I?"It's hard to tell from the context given, but are you sure he asked that only because of the shims? Then again, they are a tire shop, so it's not quite as farfetched as if they were, say, an all-purpose mechanic asking the same question in that scenario; he only experiences a limited part of the car, and does not get the "whole picture" working only on alignment.

He then asked if it was the car that Michael J. Fox drove.He drove the DeLorean in all three BTTF movies, and in other events since the movie, so... :confused0:

Starglider
12-22-2012, 07:15 AM
Got one yesterday despite my car still being in bits in the workshop. I mentioned I was working on a DeLorean and a business partner said 'ah yes, with the natural aluminium body'. I said it was 304 stainless made in the city he lived in (Sheffield) but he kept insisting that no, no, it was aluminium. That was my first time seeing that strange effect everyone reports here, where someone who vaguely knew of the car automatically assumes they know better than someone who owns/constantly works on them. I am sure it will not be the last time. :)

ccurzio
12-22-2012, 08:06 AM
He drove the DeLorean in all three BTTF movies, and in other events since the movie, so... :confused0:

He drove a DeLorean. The guy was asking if he drove that DeLorean.

I had the same question when I first got mine. The guy unloading it off the truck asked if mine was the one they used in the movie.

Stainless
12-22-2012, 10:48 AM
What he said ^^

chenderson2k
12-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Most people just ask me if its true about the cocaine. I tell them yes and ask if they would like a sample.

Sidaries
12-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Most people just ask me if its true about the cocaine. I tell them yes and ask if they would like a sample.

:)

Dangermouse
12-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Today I went to Les Schwab to talk to them about an alignment and the guy looks out the window to see the car and says, "It's a GMC chassis, right?" I said, "No, it's DMC, as in DeLorean."

I had a similar one yesterday, only replace Lee Schwab with Kauffman and GMC with Ford.

I told him it was more like a Lotus set up, with which he followed with "but it has a Ford engine, right?"

Tillsy
12-23-2012, 05:12 PM
This isn't stupid, just very innocent and insanely cute...

Yesterday my three year old daughter, while choosing a Blu-ray to watch, spotted Back To The Future. She was very excited and insisted on watching it - "Daddy's car!!!".

When the DeLorean went into flight mode she leapt up bursting with intense excitement screaming "Daddy Daddy Daddy you fly your car??????".

No........ Not for two more years hunny :)

Timebender
12-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Well, if I could get roughly $100 grand, we'd have our prototype started- my 16 year old and I (both garage engineers....), designed and engineered a solution to a true flying car using a Delorean as the base- not something with wings, not something like the Moller Skycar (ugly and not practical). We had our plans checked by an aerospace engineer as well as another aeronautic engineer and our designs and theories are pretty rock solid.

Just not that easy coming up with that much funding. :(

Shep
12-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Well, if I could get roughly $100 grand, we'd have our prototype started- my 16 year old and I (both garage engineers....), designed and engineered a solution to a true flying car using a Delorean as the base- not something with wings, not something like the Moller Skycar (ugly and not practical). We had our plans checked by an aerospace engineer as well as another aeronautic engineer and our designs and theories are pretty rock solid.

Just not that easy coming up with that much funding. :(Curious: why $100,000? And, if you're willing to divulge the details, what kind of design are you looking at?

chenderson2k
12-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Wait two more years and you can get the conversion done for just $39,999.95

vwdmc16
12-27-2012, 08:24 PM
we should start a hover conversion collection!

Shep
12-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Wait two more years and you can get the conversion done for just $39,999.95:hysterical:

Perhaps I should hold off a couple years then, so I can have the first D with a hover conversion :tongue:

Jimmyvonviggle
12-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Just not that easy coming up with that much funding. :(

How is this post in the stupid comment of the day?

thirdmanj
12-27-2012, 09:51 PM
How is this post in the stupid comment of the day?

He was referencing a previous post, that wasn't so much "stupid" as it was "cute", because a guys little girl was asking if his car could fly too.

Shep
12-27-2012, 11:02 PM
How is this post in the stupid comment of the day?See Post #592 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?271-Stupid-Delorean-Comment-Of-the-Day&p=85172&viewfull=1#post85172) :wink:

Timebender
12-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Right- it was a comment more or less on the post from before about the flying Delorean comment from his daughter.
SOOOO....
I followed by saying we're working on a design for an actual flying Delorean. And $100,000 is about the target we need to build it, test it, R&D, modeling, etc. A prototype always costs way more than the actual production product...if we can ever get there.

And no, really can't divulge but it's based on some common tech we have now as well as basic knowledge of aeronautics and airflow...

Sorry to keep this in the stupid comments section. :)

Timebender
12-28-2012, 05:18 PM
And to bring this back on topic..

Though I don't have my D yet, I did get a chance to finally sit in one to see if i still fit (6'7"..), thanks to YellowMXwheels kindness and generosity.
As he was waiting for me to show up by the local movie theater where we both live in proximity of, a guy walked by and asked "Is that the car from Back to the Future?", and ymxw replied "It's like that"..or something...
The reply back was something like "Well, that's a really nice kit."

If I remember correctly- I did tell ymxw that he should tell guys like that that it's on a Fiero chassis...

refugeefromcalif
12-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Though I don't have my D yet, I did get a chance to finally sit in one to see if i still fit (6'7"..), thanks to YellowMXwheels kindness and generosity.

So, Did you fit in it OK?

George

Timebender
12-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately yes- it was probably the most comfortable car I've ever sat in... even with the door closed and it's a stick.
There were a couple times I tried one out in the past - when I was first dating my wife and test drove a stick, and I was 6'5" or so.. it was a stick, though I had a problem with the clutch placement, and they wanted a lot plus the AC didn't work (around 1986).
Then I took an auto for a spin a year later- it was really worn out inside - leather was all worn out, brake pedal was worn out (bad sign being the owner kept his foot on the brake a LOT), and when driving it a bunch of steam came out of the engine bay behind the window- bad hose. He wouldn't take less than what he wanted though the car was beat and not well maintained ($13k or so is what he wanted)..
So I figured I wouldn't fit - and secretly hoping I would as well as wouldn't..but I do.. now I HAVE to have one.

Shep
12-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Then I took an auto for a spin a year later [..] brake pedal was worn out (bad sign being the owner kept his foot on the brake a LOT)Or that he drives with two feet like I do: one foot on the gas, one on the brake. I've been spared from a few head-on collisions with deer using that approach that otherwise would have totaled my daily driver.

Timebender
12-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah- not a lot of deer in Point Loma.... He was a very large (not tall large) Greek fellow- door panel was worn side bolsters worn and cracked, seats in bad shape.
What's odd is I have a 13 year old new beetle with black leather interior and the car's parked outside all day in the sun, yet the seats look as good as the day it came off the lot.

pezzonovante88
12-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah- not a lot of deer in Point Loma.... He was a very large (not tall large) Greek fellow- door panel was worn side bolsters worn and cracked, seats in bad shape.
What's odd is I have a 13 year old new beetle with black leather interior and the car's parked outside all day in the sun, yet the seats look as good as the day it came off the lot.

I heard the leather in the DeLorean was furniture-grade leather by Bridge of Weir. Very high quality, but not durable enough for automotive use, hence the wear and shrinkage of the leather in pretty much every D out there.

tyb323
12-29-2012, 05:23 AM
I heard the leather in the DeLorean was furniture-grade leather by Bridge of Weir. Very high quality, but not durable enough for automotive use, hence the wear and shrinkage of the leather in pretty much every D out there.
Rolls Royce has and still does use Bridge of Weir, and Aston Martin has used them as a supplier in the past, so it's fine for auto use. Most leather simply won't last 30+ years with frequent sunlight exposure

pezzonovante88
12-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Rolls Royce has and still does use Bridge of Weir, and Aston Martin has used them as a supplier in the past, so it's fine for auto use. Most leather simply won't last 30+ years with frequent sunlight exposure

I know, but from what I read (can't remember where) the particular product DeLorean selected was from their furniture line-up. But then again, with frequent treatment and minimal sunlight exposure, most any leather, including what's in the D, should retain it's natural form for 30+ years.
Anyway, we're moving towards :offtopic2: so back to the stupid DeLorean comments!

Stainless
04-21-2013, 12:38 PM
First stupid comment for 2013, and it's almost May?! Come on guys... I know there's more of you driving your cars regularly now.

Washed my DeLorean for the first time at my new house. I liked that the garage at my old house was in the back, so I could work on my cars in peace. Now my driveway and garage are right up front and I can't escape the looks. A guy in a truck pulls up while I'm treating the interior leather and asks, "Does it run?" I thought that was kind of a stupid question seeing as how I was obviously taking very good care of it. Why would I care how it looked if I couldn't even drive it? Anyways, I just said, "Nope. I pushed it to my house."

He actually thought that was pretty funny. He was pretty cool after that and asked if I ever take it to car shows, to which I replied that I do when I don't have anything better to do :)

Now those aren't terribly stupid comments, but I sure miss reading about all those that happen and wanted to revive this thread.

jawn101
04-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I had one yesterday at a parade. A woman comes up to us as we are walking by (she walked right into the parade line, which is stupid right there!) and asks "are these cars solar?"

Now, she was pretty old. And to be fair a bunch of alternative energy vehicles had gone by a few groups ahead of us. So I can't fault her for just not knowing what she was looking at, but in the context of our thread here it was pretty dumb :) Also, the sound of 5 idling DeLoreans isn't exactly easy to miss.

However, maybe we should feel flattered that the cars look futuristic enough to garner such a question?

vwdmc16
04-21-2013, 01:43 PM
The same old lady asked me if my car was electric, unsatisfied she must have waited for your car to roll up 15 seconds later ask about its solar capacity. WTF?

My stupidest comment in the Parade was: "Hey its the Knight Rider car!!!'

Shep
04-21-2013, 02:14 PM
I actually had one about a week ago. I was at home, watching the local news, and they announced that the FBI took a U-Haul to the Pilot Flying J and had gone inside to get evidence and whatnot. This made our news here in Cleveland since the head of it, Jimmy Haslam, is the owner of the Cleveland Browns. My Mom, my own mother, said "Oh my gosh, it's just like the DeLorean crack scandal!" Rather shocked that she would have the balls to say that right in front of me, I said "You do realize he was acquitted, right?" She said "Yeah, but everyone knows he did it. Just like Michael Jackson!" I shot back "He was acquitted too!" Then she said "Well, yeah, but there was all that evidence against him!" I shot back again and said "There wasn't any evidence against him except for some kids saying it happened." Then she tells me "Quite often that's all they have, is the kids testimony saying it happened." I gave up arguing at this point :eek7: I have no idea when the concept of physical evidence or the justice system left her mind, but that was ridiculous.

Unbelievable. Whatever happened to good manners and family?

Cartman
04-21-2013, 03:00 PM
This post is awsome :) been reaing it form start to finish now :)

I can only imagien how anoying these coments are.

Althoug I knd of know how you feal, a few years ago entering a track day for fords, I almost didn't get inn because the woman at the gate didn't think my car was a ford :) had to get the regestration card out, even thoug there is a ford badge on the front, the back and my stearing wheel :)

Some people :)

My wife keeps referi g to the DeLorean as an old piece of crap car. It anoys me :/

Wonder howpeopleaound here wil react when I get one :) aparently there are 2 in my local aerea already :)

Jonathan
04-21-2013, 10:45 PM
At some point this winter, I was telling a friend about a couple of the projects I was working on for the car. Stereo and speaker upgrade, new console bracket, etc.

I have had the car since 2007.

He asked me, "man, aren't you done that thing yet?"

I don't know if I considered it to be more of a stupid question for not knowing that DeLoreans are never "done", or more of whether I am the stupid one for buying a car that will never actually be done.

I think I just walked away with a puzzled look on my face, and then went and hit my head against the wall a few times ;)

Kenny_Z
04-21-2013, 11:11 PM
He asked me, "man, aren't you done that thing yet?"

Sounds like he's never had a project car. No matter what it is they are never done. You build them up and drive them back down.

Nicholas R
04-22-2013, 12:46 AM
It's so true. People that dont work on cars as projects, just dont understand how or why they're never finished. My family and some friends still constantly says things like "you're still working on it?" "What could you possibly have left to do on it?" They just dont understand. I try to tell them that I will never be done with it, and that's how I like it. There will always be something I want to improve, fix, change, etc.

To me, when there's nothing left to do, there's no more fun to be had. The constant work is what strengthen's the relationship with the car. Once that's gone, all that's left is to drive it. Yea, it's great to drive, but some of the appreciation is lost.

DeLorean03
04-22-2013, 12:48 AM
It's so true. People that dont work on cars as projects, just dont understand how or why they're never finished. My family and some friends still constantly says things like "you're still working on it?" "What could you possibly have left to do on it?" They just dont understand. I try to tell them that I will never be done with it, and that's how I like it. There will always be something I want to improve, fix, change, etc.

To me, when there's nothing left to do, there's no more fun to be had. The constant work is what strengthen's the relationship with the car. Once that's gone, all that's left is to drive it. Yea, it's great to drive, but some of the appreciation is lost.

Well said.

Just sometimes it's not fun - like taking my intake back off on Wednesday to find out which clamp loosened to explain why I have coolant in my VOD ....

ed77katr
04-22-2013, 07:41 AM
I had one yesterday at a parade. A woman comes up to us as we are walking by (she walked right into the parade line, which is stupid right there!) and asks "are these cars solar?"

Now, she was pretty old. And to be fair a bunch of alternative energy vehicles had gone by a few groups ahead of us. So I can't fault her for just not knowing what she was looking at, but in the context of our thread here it was pretty dumb :) Also, the sound of 5 idling DeLoreans isn't exactly easy to miss.

However, maybe we should feel flattered that the cars look futuristic enough to garner such a question?

You should have replied "Lady, Your Blocking the Sun!!! Can you move your Fat azz so I can Drive now!" :rofl:

Jonathan
04-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Sounds like he's never had a project car. No matter what it is they are never done. You build them up and drive them back down.

Yep. That's right.

Just recently I was telling someone the history of my car since I've had it. Much of which would be similar to other owners perhaps.

Finally arrive at the day where you bought your first D. More months go by because it didn't go quite as planned. Car gets delivered only to find out it wasn't exactly in the condition you thought it was (nor paid for it to be in). It sits at the shop in town as your mechanic's project and represents a growing hole in your wallet. You get it back to then work on various things that still didn't get addressed. A few seasons go by, your nerves are shot, but your car is in decent driving condition. Decent for 32 years old though, so new noises and rattles are alarming and might mean you're towing it home. Some days you don't mind the 15 minute stops at gas stations, other days the person tailgating you trying to get that cool FB picture gets to be too much. Maybe you look out in the garage in the winter and wish you could drive it, or maybe you look at it in July and figure it might be better to just leave it there and go for a walk instead.

Driving it is fun, at times, when it is working, or at least most of it is knowing you don't really need a functional speedo. Most of the time though I think I sort of enjoy owning the car, but not driving it. Tinkering with it, doing projects on it, learning about it and sharing that with others here on the forum or at local club events. Seeing the smiles of some of the people at car shows or chatting about it with coworkers at the coffee machine. I'm not aware of how you can only get the stuff you like by owning one of these cars, and somehow avoiding the stuff you don't. Overall it seems okay, but definitely not all of the individual aspects. I'd imagine this sort of thing contributes to why even in 6 years for me owning this car, I can think of quite a few names that came in very excited about their D ownership, yet now no longer own their cars.

The best way I heard it put, like you know, was "DeLoreans are like frying bacon in the nude... you gotta really love BLTs."

Ron
04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
The best way I heard it put, like you know, was "DeLoreans are like frying bacon in the nude... you gotta really love BLTs."

Yeah, it takes a lot of love and dedication to have your sandwich and eat it too... :)

Dangermouse
04-23-2013, 12:01 PM
I was at a small car show at the weekend with an Original Owner of an ‘81, who got the ubiquitous “what happens a 88mph’ comment. Nothing unusual in that, but later on I got thinking about all the comments that this gentleman has had to put up with over the years, and how they have changed. I’m sure he started off enduring Johnny Carson locked-in jokes, closely followed by all the coke jokes. What a relief BTTF must have been for owners in the late 80s to hear something new. This gentleman is 70 years old but he laughed like he had never had anyone ask him that before.

DMCflux
04-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Tonight I was locking up at work and a guy comes to the window and introduces himself. The conversation goes as follows:

Other guy: is that a new delorean or an original?
Me: it's an '81
Other guy: you know there making those new now
Me: yup
Other guy: my uncle was good friends with John Delorean
Me: really?
Other guy: yeah, you know those gold edition cars? The credit card, master card, visa....
Me: the American Express
Other guy: (cuts me off mid reply) yeah the American Express gold edition, well he gave my uncle one
Me: whoa really? (Slight sarcasm)
Other guy: yeah, there weren't that many
Me: yes, 2 were made And a 3rd out of the remaining parts, minus one door
Other guy: I know, like I said I know a lot about these cars, they had trouble with financing so the cars had to be finished in Ireland
Me: They were all built in Ireland
Other guy: (changes subject) you know there remaking all the parts now
Me: yup
Other guy: I have an 85 Mercedes but I need parts for it, do you know where I can find them?
Me: a Mercedes dealer

Nicholas R
04-25-2013, 03:11 AM
Other guy: (cuts me off mid reply) yeah the American Express gold edition, well he gave my uncle one

Should have asked which museum it was in, lol.

ALEXAKOS
04-25-2013, 09:14 AM
-".... and there was this one time.... in Band Camp...":partyhat:

dmc6960
04-25-2013, 09:44 AM
That one was just painful to read.

Kenny_Z
04-25-2013, 09:52 AM
I read all the responses in a deadpan. Why in the world would he think you knew where to get Mercedes parts?

DMCflux
04-25-2013, 10:40 AM
I read all the responses in a deadpan. Why in the world would he think you knew where to get Mercedes parts?

No idea... I'm not sure if bringing up his awesome 85 Mercedes was a way for him to change the subject or for him to impress me by telling me what he has in a subtle way (asking where to find parts)

DL4567
04-25-2013, 01:57 PM
"Hey do you know they're making new ones!!?!?!?!?!"

is becoming the new #1 eye-rolling comment, knocking "Where's the flux capacitor??! bwahahahahah!!!" ....off its top spot.

Shep
04-25-2013, 07:40 PM
No idea... I'm not sure if bringing up his awesome 85 Mercedes was a way for him to change the subject or for him to impress me by telling me what he has in a subtle way (asking where to find parts)I wouldn't be impressed at all considering it's broke and he hasn't fixed it, whereas yours is in one intact and fully functional piece. Why else would he need parts? :)

Although considering the whole "gold owner relative" bit, I'd be inclined to believe that the only Mercedes he owns is the one on his T-shirts ;)

Stainless
04-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Was out front today working on the car in my driveway. A guy pulls up and asks, "Is that your car?"

I was surprised by the question since I was obviously working on it, it was in my driveway, and I was the only one around. I think he could tell how annoyed I was by the expression on my face as I looked around me and asked, "Who else could it belong to?"

He ended up being a really nice guy and got out of his car to meet me. He said that since I'm new to the area and he doesn't know me, he didn't know if it was mine or not. He asked me to take a picture of him standing next to my car. He asked if he could open the door, to which I agreed. I didn't notice until after he left that he left a nice greasy hand print on the door when he closed it. Argh.

As I was sitting in the car, not even 10 minutes after the guy left, another dude drives by and yells, "Nice time machine!" as he was driving by. I know I should be nice to those that live in my neighborhood, but does a guy that looks like he's 40 really feel it necessary to yell at me when he passes? Maybe if I knew him I would have been less annoyed by it, but it was a complete stranger. Oh Saturdays.

DL4567
04-27-2013, 02:44 PM
"Hey do you know they're making new ones!!?!?!?!?!"

is becoming the new #1 eye-rolling comment, knocking "Where's the flux capacitor??! bwahahahahah!!!" ....off its top spot.

Haven't taken my car out in 6 weeks. Took it out yesterday and the one person who talked to me at the gas station said the above. (I wasn't annoyed though because he was very friendly)

Farrar
04-27-2013, 09:35 PM
does a guy that looks like he's 40 really feel it necessary to yell at me when he passes?

Yes.

His comment was so incredibly clever and he thought of it in such quick time that he had to yell it out for the world to know what a comic genius he is.

I think it's a reflexive call to attention: you're getting noticed, so they want to get noticed.

Dangermouse
04-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Was out front today working on the car in my driveway. A guy pulls up and asks, "Is that your car?"

I was surprised by the question since I was obviously working on it, it was in my driveway, and I was the only one around. I think he could tell how annoyed I was by the expression on my face as I looked around me and asked, "Who else could it belong to?"

He ended up being a really nice guy and got out of his car to meet me. He said that since I'm new to the area and he doesn't know me, he didn't know if it was mine or not. He asked me to take a picture of him standing next to my car. He asked if he could open the door, to which I agreed. I didn't notice until after he left that he left a nice greasy hand print on the door when he closed it. Argh.

As I was sitting in the car, not even 10 minutes after the guy left, another dude drives by and yells, "Nice time machine!" as he was driving by. I know I should be nice to those that live in my neighborhood, but does a guy that looks like he's 40 really feel it necessary to yell at me when he passes? Maybe if I knew him I would have been less annoyed by it, but it was a complete stranger. Oh Saturdays.

I think you may need to grow a thicker skin if those are the sorts of comments that annoy you. There are a limited number of conversation openers that the first guy could've used, even fewer that don't have a movie reference.

Sounds like you just have a friendly neighborhood. Be thankful. My neighbors would rat me out to the HOA for working on my car in the driveway. ;(

Michael
04-28-2013, 12:06 AM
My neighbors would rat me out to the HOA for working on my car in the driveway. ;(

And your address is?

ccurzio
04-28-2013, 07:59 AM
My neighbors would rat me out to the HOA for working on my car in the driveway. ;(

This is something I'm massively worried about with buying the house that I'm buying. I've never lived in an HOA community before, and that's been on purpose.

Ron
04-28-2013, 08:08 AM
I think you may need to grow a thicker skin if those are the sorts of comments that annoy you. There are a limited number of conversation openers that the first guy could've used, even fewer that don't have a movie reference.

Sounds like you just have a friendly neighborhood. Be thankful. My neighbors would rat me out to the HOA for working on my car in the driveway. ;(

+1!

Kenny_Z
04-28-2013, 09:02 AM
That is the number one reason I will not live in an HOA community.

Farrar
04-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Sounds like you just have a friendly neighborhood. Be thankful.

Indeed. The only people in my neighborhood who are friendly are the older folks. All of the under-40s are too wrapped up in themselves to even acknowledge anyone else's presence, but the older folks I can say hi to while they're walking the dog or whatever, and they'll say hi -- sometimes even stop and chat. It's really weird, and kind of sad.

sdg3205
04-28-2013, 12:09 PM
This is something I'm massively worried about with buying the house that I'm buying. I've never lived in an HOA community before, and that's been on purpose.

Yup.

I've been burned a few times for the lamest shit. Sometimes it honestly feel like someone with nothing else better to do in life just walks around and stirs the pot.

Last year when my buddies DeLorean was at my place for work, i left it in a visitors stall with a pass on the rearview. After a few days i get a call from someone identifying themselves as the manager of the strata or something and this is how the conversation went:

Him: "Hi Dave, is that your cool delorean?" (he was suggesting i was parking mine there)
Me: No, its a friends
Him: I thought it was yours
Me: there is more than one DeLorean
Him: it's uninsured and cant be there
Me: No, it has collectors insurance, it even has a plate
Him: Oh, well it cant be there
Me: why not?
Him: its a spot reserved for visitors
Me: its a visitors car in a visitors spot
Him: it's been there too long
Me: I wasnt aware visitors were only allowed to stay as long as you personally deemed fit
Him: move the car or we'll tow it. it's been there too long.

He was full of shit and went so far as to make up BS just to get me to move the car.

Most of the time HOA/stratas are fine, but there are risks - not sure there are more or less risks then buying a standalone property. Certain standards do keep the townhouses i live at looking fantastic and well groomed. Hard to beat a full exterior paint job for $500, for example.

A colleague was put on the hook for $15,000 at his brand new place when it was deemed that all the residents of his strata had to pay for the demolition of a building on site that should have been dealt with before any residents even moved into the complex. Many of the residents are still in court.

Sub-stratas are often a good alternative.

Dangermouse
04-28-2013, 02:56 PM

It really depends on the "enthusiasm" of the HOA.

Why not ask for a copy of the HOA covenants before you sign your contract?

beernpizzalover
04-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Now that's a good comeback!

SamHill
04-28-2013, 07:58 PM

When they can be readily amended, the rules are what they say they are.

ccurzio
04-29-2013, 12:54 PM

I've already reviewed the covenants and regulations several times in great detail. Everything is boilerplate.

That said, my friend has a friend that lives in the neighborhood and he says his friend works on his car a lot, and has never run into problems. So maybe this is an HOA that can flex a bit.

jawn101
04-29-2013, 01:00 PM
We had a good one over the weekend on a club drive. Two early morning stoners wandered by and saw us all parked on the side of the road, chatting. "No waaaaaaay! Do you guys like, know each other or something?"

ed77katr
04-29-2013, 03:11 PM
One recent day I was cleaning Garage out. Pushed the DeLorean outside. The Dumbazz neighbors kid walked by and Yelled "Hey Can you Time Travel with that Piece of Crap?" I said "Sometimes" His next smartazz Question was "What Year ya gonna travel to?".... My reply "Last year so I never would have had to meet you Jackazz!"

ccurzio
04-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Dumbazz
smartazz
Jackazz
Fat azz

Please cut this out and type like a human being.

thirdmanj
04-29-2013, 03:27 PM

You tell 'em Azzipiter...

Timebender
04-29-2013, 06:04 PM
One recent day I was cleaning Garage out. Pushed the DeLorean outside. The Dumbazz neighbors kid walked by and Yelled "Hey Can you Time Travel with that Piece of Crap?" I said "Sometimes" His next smartazz Question was "What Year ya gonna travel to?".... My reply "Last year so I never would have had to meet you Jackazz!"

Hmm, I would've said "The year and a week before your parents met, so I could keep them from ever meeting and having you."

That would shut him up.

Ron
04-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Why, you ungrateful baztard!

I'd ban his azz, Chriz.

Jonathan
04-29-2013, 09:44 PM

Why, you ungrateful baztard!

I'd ban his azz, Chriz.

lol

ed77katr
04-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Hmm, I would've said "The year and a week before your parents met, so I could keep them from ever meeting and having you."

That would shut him up.

I actually thought of replying with that after the fact... The Kid is annoying, but Harmless.

ed77katr
04-29-2013, 09:57 PM

ZO ZORRY Wont type like that again .....:rofl:

ALEXAKOS
04-30-2013, 02:20 AM
That would shut him up.
+1 hahahaha
I would show his parents a photo of his... so they would avoid want children!:lockdance:

mluder
05-09-2013, 03:19 AM
Not really stupid... Actually I thought it was pretty clever.

I had to go to Platt Electrical Supply today to pick up a contactor for my house air conditioner.

I pulled up in the DeLorean. Parked and walked inside. From the office behind the couter I hear a voice yell out, "We don't carry flux capacitors or Mr Fusions."

I had to chucke at that one.

Cheers
Steven

Shep
05-09-2013, 07:45 AM
:hysterical:

Oh man, that was a good one. Original too!

Farrar
05-09-2013, 09:12 AM
From the office behind the couter I hear a voice yell out, "We don't carry flux capacitors or Mr Fusions."

Something similar the first time I took the D to have the Eibach springs put on at a local shop. I pulled up, the service writer said "We don't work on flux capacitors."

"No problem. My car's the miser model," I said. I put the workshop manual and coil springs on the counter and said "How about suspension work?"

"That we CAN do," he said.

Kenny_Z
05-09-2013, 10:58 AM
When I first purchased Red I had an AC issue. I took it to a couple of shops to see if they would even look at it. The first shop said "what's a DeLorean?" They looked out the window at it like I'd landed my UFO in their parking lot. The second shop said "That depends, does it have the Flux Capacitor?" They were the one that got my business. When I picked up the car the guy behind the counter said they loved having it in the parking lot. It got a lot of attention. He said more people drove through the lot or stopped to take pictures of it than anything else they've ever parked out there. That includes a couple of exotics.

ALEXAKOS
05-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Got my Porsche 997 exhaust tips today off ebay. The German seller asked what year my 997 was. I said it's for a delorean.
His response:
"oh it's that aluminum car from the Back to the future movie. I have seen that around at sports cars gatherings but that poor thing is a bit weak on the chest"

PORSCHE DRIVERS....:mooning:

Shep
05-09-2013, 12:30 PM
When I picked up the car the guy behind the counter said they loved having it in the parking lot. It got a lot of attention. He said more people drove through the lot or stopped to take pictures of it than anything else they've ever parked out there. That includes a couple of exotics.Business opportunity! I park my DeLorean in your business's parking lot, and you pay me for the new customers you got who came just to see the DeLorean ;)

jwrayth
05-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Took 4494 to her first car show since I imported her into the UK. Mostly it was all really good, lots of positive attention. One chap stood out though;

Random Guy - My Dad used to have one of these, but without the back to the future doors.

Me - Sorry, you've lost me?

Random Guy - He had the normal doors that don't open up. He was too cheap to get the model with the wing-up-doors.

Me - Oh, I see. I take it he got the version without the stainless steel paneling too?

Random Guy - Yeah! How did you guess?

Me - Just a hunch... :rolleyes1:

I like to think his Dad had a Lotus Esprit and he was just confused, but it still made me chuckle.

Michael
05-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Took 4494 to her first car show since I imported her into the UK. Mostly it was all really good, lots of positive attention. One chap stood out though;

Random Guy - My Dad used to have one of these, but without the back to the future doors.

Me - Sorry, you've lost me?

Random Guy - He had the normal doors that don't open up. He was too cheap to get the model with the wing-up-doors.

Me - Oh, I see. I take it he got the version without the stainless steel paneling too?

Random Guy - Yeah! How did you guess?

Me - Just a hunch... :rolleyes1:

I like to think his Dad had a Lotus Esprit and he was just confused, but it still made me chuckle.

That vin sounds very familiar. I think I have seen and driven that car. If that's the one I'm thinking of it belonged to a guy named Brian in Knoxville, who sold it to someone in soCal. It's a nice car!

jwrayth
05-10-2013, 09:29 AM
That vin sounds very familiar. I think I have seen and driven that car. If that's the one I'm thinking of it belonged to a guy named Brian in Knoxville, who sold it to someone in soCal. It's a nice car!

That history is spot-on! I bought off the previous owner in SoCal, and got her on the road in the UK in March. I'm looking forward to a long summer of driving her and sorting out the few minor issues :D

Roman Legion
05-22-2013, 04:19 PM
I had to call up progressive today because I wanted a quote on how much insurance will run me whenever I get a D of my own.

Guy: What kind of car are you looking to insure?

Me: 1981 DeLorean DMC-12

Guy: Are you going back to the future?

Later on..

Me: Not too bad, the price is about the same as what I'm paying now for full coverage, just a little more.

Guy: But time travel is priceless.

I don't even own one yet and already the jokes start..lol

Farrar
05-22-2013, 06:31 PM
If you get one, you'll need a new agent. Imagine trying to make a claim when the dude on the other end is all like "DUDE! Just go back to before you had the accident! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" That shit gets old faster than you can say "flux off."

pezzonovante88
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
I had to call up progressive today because I wanted a quote on how much insurance will run me whenever I get a D of my own.

Guy: What kind of car are you looking to insure?

Me: 1981 DeLorean DMC-12

Guy: Are you going back to the future?

Later on..

Me: Not too bad, the price is about the same as what I'm paying now for full coverage, just a little more.

Guy: But time travel is priceless.

I don't even own one yet and already the jokes start..lol

Get used to the stupid BTTF jokes if you plan on getting a DeLorean. Shit does it ever get old.

Roman Legion
05-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Get used to the stupid BTTF jokes if you plan on getting a DeLorean. Shit does it ever get old.

I honestly didn't think I would get one over the phone getting a quote, but I was really wrong..lol At least this thread prepared me for hearing them in general. Even with the stupid jokes, still worth having the car.

Shep
05-22-2013, 11:04 PM
I got back from Florida a few days ago. While I was there, some family I've only met once before stayed in our hotel room. I tell my uncle that I've got a DeLorean, and show him some pictures I've taken of it, and I've got my worst comments yet. First he tells me it has aluminum body panels, and asked me how I cleaned it. I told him Windex works, and I kid you not, he said it made sense and actually likened it to "cleaning a stainless steel cooking range!" I honestly didn't know how to respond, but then he told me they have every single part ever produced for the DeLorean and you can actually build a DeLorean purely from the parts.

I gathered my bearings and told him that things like the left front fenders and brake calipers are no longer available unless you get them from a parts car, and he tells me that when the factory closed, there were not one, not two, not three, but a hundred and thirty four unfinished chassis that they assembled from the remaining parts. There were less than 10 at KAPAC, and most definitely far less than 134 unfinished chassis on the assembly line when the factory closed. Where he got this number from is beyond me, but I was horrified at how wildly inaccurate it was. How do you tell your own uncle that he's more inaccurate than the National Enquirer?! :cry:

Then I mentioned getting a cat-delete exhaust, and he told me the muffler needs to be redesigned when you remove the cat to account for the backpressure that engines need. I have no idea if this part was accurate or not, but considering how wildly inaccurate the rest was, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Of course, my Mom is always insisting there are "only three guys who work on DeLoreans". There's three franchises, with nine total locations (1 DPI, 2 PJ Grady, 6 DMC). She of course only lists the main locations: Tallmadge, OH (DPI), Long Island, NY (PJ Grady), and Houston, TX (DMCH). The worst part is a week ago today (the day before we left for Florida), we got an invitation in the mail for DMCMW's Open House... in Chicago... which she always fails to mention :swear1:

Dangermouse
05-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Technically DPI and Grady aren't "franchises" - they are independent operations.

And I think you may be confusing brake calipers with rear wheel hubs. Calipers are cross referenced to some Jag or other.

Shep
05-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Technically DPI and Grady aren't "franchises" - they are independent operations.PJ Grady has a branch in the UK, so I was under the impression it was a franchise. DPI I just put under the same label as PJ Grady and DMC for simplicity's sake.

And I think you may be confusing brake calipers with rear wheel hubs. Calipers are cross referenced to some Jag or other.Nope, I meant brake calipers. They're not producing them any more if I recall correctly, so you still have to get it from a parts car. Except, a Jag parts car, not necessarily a DeLorean parts car ;)

Dangermouse
05-22-2013, 11:34 PM
PJ Grady has a branch in the UK, so I was under the impression it was a franchise. DPI I just put under the same label as PJ Grady and DMC for simplicity's sake.

Nope, I meant brake calipers. They're not producing them any more if I recall correctly, so you still have to get it from a parts car. Except, a Jag parts car, not necessarily a DeLorean parts car ;)

Ah, I thought that your meant that DPI and Grady were franchises of DMC.

I'm fairly sure you can get new calipers at least in the UK. I don't have any of my X-ref stuff handy at the mo. But you may be right.

DeLorean03
05-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Nope, I meant brake calipers. They're not producing them any more if I recall correctly, so you still have to get it from a parts car. Except, a Jag parts car, not necessarily a DeLorean parts car ;)

I am going to have to politely hand you this now:

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/brakes-rotors.html

Granted, they are "rebuilt", but man, I wouldn't tell the public any more than they need to know. As you painfully found out, they can be WAY OUT in left field :wow: ...

Shep
05-23-2013, 01:08 PM
I am going to have to politely hand you this now:

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/brakes-rotors.htmlI'll bet if I dug up the thread here where I first read that the brake calipers were no longer available, someone will have posted the same link... :umm:

I wouldn't tell the public any more than they need to know. As you painfully found out, they can be WAY OUT in left field :wow: ...I wasn't exactly expecting him to go that far in left field. I mean, Top Gear said it had aluminum body panels, but they were mostly accurate about everything else. Boy did I learn my lesson!

At least he didn't mention the whole cocaine thing...

Dangermouse
05-23-2013, 01:22 PM
From the UK, front right (others available)

http://www.psautoparts-store.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=TCA254&category_id=0&product_id=168

Fits UK Escorts, Cortinas, Talbots, Morgans etc

Shep
05-23-2013, 10:19 PM
From the UK, front right (others available)

http://www.psautoparts-store.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=TCA254&category_id=0&product_id=168

Fits UK Escorts, Cortinas, Talbots, Morgans etchttp://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19224&d=1369361773

;)

Nicholas R
05-24-2013, 01:37 AM
I use these calipers. They fit pretty nicely in the front wheels with wilwood rotors. I actually dug out my original front brakes from the shed and in the next year or so I'd like to try to draw up the custom pieces required to use them and possibly make them more available. I notice a huge difference when I drive a stock DeLorean.
http://www.wilwood.com/Images/Caliper/Caliper_Photos-Large/Forged_Narrow_Dynalite-lg.jpg

As for the comments, yea... it's hard. I used to want to educate the world so badly. Now I just learn to pick and choose my battles. Honestly, I rarely see a use in trying to correct the guy at the gas station, or the grocery store, or even car shows. It is tough though when it's someone you know; especially family. You dont want to be rude but you also dont want to live the rest of your life with them constantly inaccurately talking about your car. Maybe a nice fact sheet would help him, lol.

DeLorean03
05-24-2013, 10:44 AM
You dont want to be rude but you also dont want to live the rest of your life with them constantly inaccurately talking about your car. Maybe a nice fact sheet would help him, lol.

Like one of these :P ?

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-Fact%20Sheet.htm

As for people talking inaccurately, yeah, you're totally right about picking battles, Nick. I remember the days I sought out anyone who misspoke about the car. That got old really quickly, and I burned out. At car cruise-ins or car shows, I do tend to educate people more - plus I take the Explode-A-View poster as well as the fact sheet linked above. With those two sources of info and my knowledge, I tend to be able to reach everyone. Gas stations, supermarkets, and random parking lot run-ins = let go by the wayside.

r00b
05-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Yesterday at a gas station in Nebraska a guy asked me "Where's the reflux capacitor". I think that's what he thought it was called.

DeLorean03
05-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Yesterday at a gas station in Nebraska a guy asked me "Where's the reflux capacitor". I think that's what he thought it was called.

xD

Farrar
05-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Yesterday, a guy walked by and said "Hey, that's a beautiful car. I saw on TV that there's a shop in, I think, California, where they have all the parts you need and they can rebuild these Denalis from the ground up."

"Yep," I said, "there's a whole network, including locations in Houston and Chicago, too."

Jonathan
05-27-2013, 11:51 AM
One way of looking at it might be if you were talking to an owner of a different car, one that is readily identifiable, but you don't really know that much about it. Mentioning a detail on the car or history you thought was accurate, might be way off in that person's eyes.

I know very little about the General Lee for example. I could mention something about 69 Chargers or they used about 300 of these in the filming, and to some that would be close enough, and to others it would be way off because of some sort of detail. Same might be true if I saw an A-Team van, or Ecto-1, or KITT car, etc.

I'd say most people are just genuinely trying to chat and kind of be excited with you about your car. Most people aren't going to be super educated on our cars, or much else in life generally. What is a passion for some is just a headline for others.

Now, the guys that come up and try to shine you up on their misinformation telling their friends about how heavy your car is, or the aluminum panels, or the coke jokes or whatever, that's different. The cocky a-hole type is usually easy to tell apart from the rest. Not always, but most of the time.

The coke jokes alone tend to tell me the guy is a knob, as most people I know wouldn't spout that sort of thing off unless they were trying to be a bit of a dick. To me, someone thinking it has a Ford V8 in it is a different type of comment than someone that jabs you with a JZD coke comment. That's pretty much the differentiator for me.

None of it really matters though. Cause as soon as you turn away from the coke joke guy, there's someone else with a big grin that you can try again with. Now, stuck in a hotel room with your family, that might be trickier :)

MTDMC
05-27-2013, 07:09 PM
I was stopped at a red light and a motorist next lane to my left rolls down his window and I open the door, he says "Are those suicide doors?" I say Gull wing doors, and closed the door as soon as the light turned green.

Shep
05-27-2013, 11:11 PM
The coke jokes alone tend to tell me the guy is a knob, as most people I know wouldn't spout that sort of thing off unless they were trying to be a bit of a dick. To me, someone thinking it has a Ford V8 in it is a different type of comment than someone that jabs you with a JZD coke comment. That's pretty much the differentiator for me.

None of it really matters though. Cause as soon as you turn away from the coke joke guy, there's someone else with a big grin that you can try again with. Now, stuck in a hotel room with your family, that might be trickier :)It caught me totally off-guard. So far my family's only been asking me about things, or posing information in the form of a question (as in "does it have a volvo engine?"). His intentions were good and well-mannered, that part I get, but the misinformation as fact took me by surprise. It did transition directly into a fun discussion about Mini Coopers though.

I will say that my next-door neighbor said that my DeLorean "was made before they started putting cocaine in the gas tanks" (I posted about it earlier in this thread), so I've gotten the crack joke already. He's a bit "edgy" and quite blunt about the things he doesn't like, so it's not surprising he said that. The next time I have a spectator give me some crack reference, I'm going to be witty for once. Just you wait :)

I was stopped at a red light and a motorist next lane to my left rolls down his window and I open the door, he says "Are those suicide doors?" I say Gull wing doors, and closed the door as soon as the light turned green.I've got a feeling he may have meant some obscure reference to their functionality in the event of a rollover, but it's weird how he evidently had the question before you even opened the doors, and still asked once you did :hmm:

Mark D
05-27-2013, 11:44 PM
One way of looking at it might be if you were talking to an owner of a different car, one that is readily identifiable, but you don't really know that much about it. Mentioning a detail on the car or history you thought was accurate, might be way off in that person's eyes.

I know very little about the General Lee for example. I could mention something about 69 Chargers or they used about 300 of these in the filming, and to some that would be close enough, and to others it would be way off because of some sort of detail. Same might be true if I saw an A-Team van, or Ecto-1, or KITT car, etc.

I'd say most people are just genuinely trying to chat and kind of be excited with you about your car. Most people aren't going to be super educated on our cars, or much else in life generally. What is a passion for some is just a headline for others.

Now, the guys that come up and try to shine you up on their misinformation telling their friends about how heavy your car is, or the aluminum panels, or the coke jokes or whatever, that's different. The cocky a-hole type is usually easy to tell apart from the rest. Not always, but most of the time.

None of it really matters though. Cause as soon as you turn away from the coke joke guy, there's someone else with a big grin that you can try again with. Now, stuck in a hotel room with your family, that might be trickier :)

I tend to agree with pretty much everything you're saying... most people who will actually make a comment are excited to see the car and don't necessarily know the best way to express it, so they'll regurgitate the few things they've read or seen on TV about the car recently. Most are trying to be polite and positive so I always try to be as polite and positive with my response.

The guys that make coke jokes or are dicks in general are not even worth responding to. Silence seems to baffle them most and their shit eating grin turns to confusion pretty quickly when you start a conversation with someone else or completely walk away. The reaction from you is what their after so not giving them one is what burns them the most.

DMC3165
05-28-2013, 06:09 AM
I've been having a tough time with things lately (work,home,etc.) And try to be as polite as possible with most people but I usually keep it brief unless it's a wide eyed young kid or something. I have a real soft spot for kids.

Having said that. I'm on my way to work last week about 3am and that's prime time for a lot of guys getting out of a bar or club or something. A car full of guys pull up next to me and I'm minding my own business when the driver starts yelling a question out the window. I couldn't hear it so I put the window down and he says "What year is this?" I was still half asleep so I just nodded and replied. "that's original." A little annoyed he started with "where's Doc?" And a few other off the cuff BTTF comments. Paying them no mind a guy from the back seat yelled out "I hear that things a real piece of shit". To which I replied "So are you" and drove off.

Truthfully I don't mind questions or comments but I don't think there's another car out there that makes people just blurt out whatever is on their mind the way a DeLo does. And when you use it daily as I have been lately you learn to leave the windows up and just look straight ahead.

Jonathan
05-28-2013, 08:53 AM
I tend to agree with pretty much everything you're saying... most people who will actually make a comment are excited to see the car and don't necessarily know the best way to express it, so they'll regurgitate the few things they've read or seen on TV about the car recently. Most are trying to be polite and positive so I always try to be as polite and positive with my response.

The guys that make coke jokes or are dicks in general are not even worth responding to. Silence seems to baffle them most and their shit eating grin turns to confusion pretty quickly when you start a conversation with someone else or completely walk away. The reaction from you is what their after so not giving them one is what burns them the most.

You're exactly right on this. ....and... moving right along... (as you look past the guy and on to someone worth talking to). Thankfully many of these guys drop the coke type comment right off the bat so you know immediately what he is all about (and sometimes you can know it's coming before he even says it and not even give the guy a chance). Those are my favorite... when you know the guy is just waiting to go off on some rant about the car, you know he is somehow, and choose to keep talking to whoever it is on the other side of the car, lol. Hate the sneak-attack guys though that ask a couple seemingly okay questions and then drop the coke one in there after 2-3 questions!

I've been having a tough time with things lately (work,home,etc.) And try to be as polite as possible with most people but I usually keep it brief unless it's a wide eyed young kid or something. I have a real soft spot for kids.

Having said that. I'm on my way to work last week about 3am and that's prime time for a lot of guys getting out of a bar or club or something. A car full of guys pull up next to me and I'm minding my own business when the driver starts yelling a question out the window. I couldn't hear it so I put the window down and he says "What year is this?" I was still half asleep so I just nodded and replied. "that's original." A little annoyed he started with "where's Doc?" And a few other off the cuff BTTF comments. Paying them no mind a guy from the back seat yelled out "I hear that things a real piece of shit". To which I replied "So are you" and drove off.

Truthfully I don't mind questions or comments but I don't think there's another car out there that makes people just blurt out whatever is on their mind the way a DeLo does. And when you use it daily as I have been lately you learn to leave the windows up and just look straight ahead.

Perfect story as to why I also avoid car shows that have a beer tent attached to them. There isn't that many of them, and definitely not the A&W cruisin' the dub types. No, I mean the ones like 'RibFest' (do you guys have that sort of thing in the US?) Ribfest is pretty fun and as you guessed it, is one of those things where all the vendors come from all over and have a rib competition. Plenty of them come from the south, so I'm thinking you guys in the US have your own. A little on the expensive side paying like $20 for a rack, but they usually have a grandstand and music or shows and maybe some rides, like those fall fair type roller coasters.

They had one in the city I was living in for some time and on the Sat and Sun they would have a car show right there too. I was thinking great, this is perfect. Until realizing the beer tent was right nearby. I recall it was just as we were finishing and they were about to announce the winners at the grandstand and when a few of us were locking up and putting things away to walk over there, along come four young guys just hammered coming out of the beer gardens. They have their Carlsburg coolers upside down on their heads and laughing away. Then they see the DeLorean. Yikes. If you think people act like donkeys just being normal, wait until they are drunk. They went all ape-sh!t over the car and actually went to lie on the hood like they were posing for a photo.

I yelled/told them to get off and as you would imagine, was met with the "what's your problem, man?" Like of course, I am the one being unreasonable and should relax and take it easy. Hard to reason with a drunk guy. It was just about to get heated when I insisted they get away from the car as you're going to damage something and under the one guy's breath I hear, "yea, wait until you come back and the windows are smashed." Ummmm? Really? Thankfully a couple of Griff and Biff sized guys came over from their car a couple down and were like "hey, is there a problem here?" and the young guns went away. No harm done, but no need to go back to the Ribfest car show, that's for sure.

Moral of the story: Drinking and DMCing don't mix :)

Farrar
05-28-2013, 10:41 AM
leave the windows up and just look straight ahead.

And people wonder why I have been working on the air conditioning for so long... ;)

I've learned that most people don't like being corrected, so unless someone asks a question I won't give them any information. If someone makes a reference to going back in time, I just say something along the lines of "Yeah, when gas was 43 cents a gallon," and they laugh and go about their business. If he says (and it's always a guy, by the way) something truly stupid or offensive, I pretend I didn't hear it, thus giving him another chance to make a first impression that doesn't put me off.

Jeremy Popp
05-28-2013, 03:16 PM

Funny, I've gotten "Where's the Flux Capacitator" on multiple occasions.

AugustneverEnds
05-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Funny, I've gotten "Where's the Flux Capacitator" on multiple occasions.

I think I've heard this every single time I've driven my car. Any every last person who has said it thinks they've come up with something totally original :hysterical:

Jacko
05-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Checking out at Wal-Mart this morning ... guy behind me asks "still got your Lamborghini?"
I replied ... "Yep"

Farrar
05-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Checking out at Wal-Mart this morning ... guy behind me asks "still got your Lamborghini?"
I replied ... "Yep"

Must be something in the air. I bumped into a lady who asked if I still had my "James Bond car."

pezzonovante88
05-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I replied ... "Yep"

I've had that. Bunch of teenagers in a car driving by while I'm walking up to my car, "Whoa! Look at that Lamborghini!" I'll take it as a compliment.

Must be something in the air. I bumped into a lady who asked if I still had my "James Bond car."

I've had that too.

Dangermouse
05-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Getting out of the car at the grocery store and "Manuel" rolls up in his suburban, points at the dent in my RFF and says "hey, you want me to fix that for you? I work at Mercedes"

" No thanks, it needs a specialist"

"No problem amigo, I can do it. I do it all the time. "

"Ok, what's it made of?"

"Aluminum, amigo, I can fix it, 30 minutes"

"Adios amigo"

Michael
05-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Getting out of the car at the grocery store and "Manuel" rolls up in his suburban, points at the dent in my RFF and says "hey, you want me to fix that for you? I work at Mercedes"

" No thanks, it needs a specialist"

"No problem amigo, I can do it. I do it all the time. "

"Ok, what's it made of?"

"Aluminum, amigo, I can fix it, 30 minutes"

"Adios amigo"

He must watch Top Gear :driving1:

LordFly
06-05-2013, 12:47 AM
This was the most incorrect comment I've yet to receive, but to be fair I'm only about 2.5 months into ownership.

"Is that the one that talks to you?" I assume he was referring to Kitt.

NightFlyer
06-05-2013, 02:09 AM
I must be pretty lucky, as other than the typical (and usually quite annoying BTTF references/jokes), the worst comment I ever received was from a middle aged man at a car show asking me if there were any kilos packed in the doors. I replied "hell yeah, why do you think I bought the car?" :biggrin:

Of course, the idiots that act like they know everything about the car / JZD story, but in reality haven't a clue, are the WORST!!!

As far as stupid car comments go, driving my '77 Chrysler Cordoba is almost as bad as driving the D, as I'm constantly getting the "rich Corinthian leather" jabs.

Montalban never said 'rich' - he said 'soft.' Hearing people say it wrong really pisses me off :chairshot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsg97bxuJnc

"In Cordoba, I have what I need."

Dangermouse
06-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Not sure if this is stupid or just odd.

The guy at the adjacent gas pump watched me for a while and as I was getting into the cra, he asked me what kind of car that was. "It's a DeLorean", I told him.

His reply:

"well, take it to the max"

OK, then......

Jonathan
06-05-2013, 09:06 AM
His reply:

I thought for a second there this was like saying "well, drive it like you own it!"

Not that that old expression really makes any sense either, but used to hear it when someone saw a nice/powerful car. Like, don't drive it like a rental car? Which is odd cause you'd think you would drive a rental car wild and take it easy on your own car?

I digress...

After googling and youtube searching "take it to the max", what comes up looks to me like I'm not aware of what the cool kids are saying these days, lol. Check out a couple of the music videos if you can... 10 bonus internet points if you can make it to the end of the 3 minute song. Eeek!!

Word, dawg. Word.

Dangermouse
06-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Well, this guy was in his mid 50s, so.......

(Older people today! Get off my lawn! And plant some nice petunias or something)

Perhaps he was advising me to take it to the CarMax and sell it ????

Mark D
06-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I thought for a second there this was like saying "well, drive it like you own it!"

The common saying is "drive it like you stole it".

Ron
06-05-2013, 09:34 AM
I'd guess he was thinking along the lines of pedal to the metal with hair on fire...he just doesn't know what happens at 88 mph.

pezzonovante88
06-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Not sure if this is stupid or just odd.

The guy at the adjacent gas pump watched me for a while and as I was getting into the cra, he asked me what kind of car that was. "It's a DeLorean", I told him.

His reply:

OK, then......

I actually chuckled out loud at this one. Just strange....

OverlandMan
06-05-2013, 10:07 AM
I actually chuckled out loud at this one. Just strange....

+1. I'll have to file that one away for later use.

Jonathan
06-05-2013, 10:09 AM
The common saying is "drive it like you stole it".

Agreed. All the more strange why people in the area I grew up used to say "own it."

I guess kind of like the "I could care less..." confusion.

EDIT: like this kind of confusion... lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfq3c4Cf1Fs

Kenny_Z
06-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I remember "take it to the max" as an old 80s slang term. Usually it was said by the un-cool kids. That would be why I know it. I hung out with the un-cool kids.

Jonathan
06-05-2013, 02:45 PM
It's an advertising slogan for one of the lotteries here too... (Lotto Max)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVwVxi4mmuU

Hokie
06-05-2013, 07:56 PM
At my first car show last weekend (I won best in show, by the way) a dude and his girlfriend walk up and he says "That's stainless steel, they rust real bad" to which his girl replied "'yep, I see some there" while pointing at lord knows what, and then they turn and walk away as if in disgust!

Iznodmad
06-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Had mine over to another owners house Monday night. We were just standing outside near my DeLorean talking. A guy was walking down the sidewalk and shouts out across the street, "You going somewhere in that thing?!". I replied, "To the future!". The guy just smiles really big and keeps walking, not bothering us anymore. I apparently made his day by playing along. I knew what he wanted me to say, and I was in a good mood to oblige.

Jonathan
06-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Had mine over to another owners house Monday night. We were just standing outside near my DeLorean talking. A guy was walking down the sidewalk and shouts out across the street, "You going somewhere in that thing?!". I replied, "To the future!". The guy just smiles really big and keeps walking, not bothering us anymore. I apparently made his day by playing along. I knew what he wanted me to say, and I was in a good mood to oblige.

Haha, nice. I remember a guy rolled down his window beside me stopped at a light and said "how far you going?" I think he meant the same thing as your guy. It was one of the funnier ones I've had. Love the subtle comments :)

ALEXAKOS
06-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Oh boy! At what point do you guys have enough of BTTF lines from others?

Don't they realize that this is THE ONLY joke you may be hearing in that car? Not many originals out there I suppose.

Rhsxo
06-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Haha, nice. I remember a guy rolled down his window beside me stopped at a light and said "how far you going?" I think he meant the same thing as your guy. It was one of the funnier ones I've had. Love the subtle comments :)

Did you reply "About 30 years" (Skip to 0:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SrV13F3x7Y

beernpizzalover
06-06-2013, 11:06 AM
As far as stupid car comments go, driving my '77 Chrysler Cordoba is almost as bad as driving the D, as I'm constantly getting the "rich Corinthian leather" jabs.

Montalban never said 'rich' - he said 'soft.' Hearing people say it wrong really pisses me off :chairshot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsg97bxuJnc

"In Cordoba, I have what I need."

That's such a classic commercial from the '70s - one I remember so well. Thanks for posting it! And RIP Khan.

Jonathan
06-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Did you reply "About 30 years"

Haha, I think I did say something like that... which isn't often the case, cause most of the time I think of the good comeback it is long after the guy is gone! lol

Oh boy! At what point do you guys have enough of BTTF lines from others?

Don't they realize that this is THE ONLY joke you may be hearing in that car? Not many originals out there I suppose.

Ah, young padawan... in time you will learn :)

Believe it or not, that IS why they keep saying it! But in somewhat of an opposite thought to what you were saying. This may be the ONLY time they have ever seen a DeLorean, so naturally it just comes blurting out. A lot of times when people see the car it is out of the blue and they don't have time to think something up original. Don't forget, he's never seen a DeLorean before and thus never had the chance to use his flux capacitor joke. So when the day finally comes, it's coming out full steam ahead. He thinks he is the world's greatest comedian, yet doesn't realize you've heard the same joke 1,000 times. It's different when someone knows the car is there, like your neighbor or coworker or even at a cruise night and they have time to think something up. The spur of the moment ones can be the strangest.

Might be kind of Like George Costanza waiting to use the "jerk store" line :)

Lenny
06-06-2013, 12:19 PM
My Daughter took a picture of my Flux Capacitor "Storage Door" and put it on her facebook page.

One of her friends posted "Does it work"

My response "I'll tell you yesterday"

DeLorean03
06-06-2013, 12:24 PM
My Daughter took a picture of my Flux Capacitor "Storage Door" and put it on her facebook page.

One of her friends posted "Does it work"

My response "I'll tell you yesterday"

That is awesome, Lenny - I like that one :D!

Conundrum
06-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Not a day goes by at my job, a co-worker has to make a flux capacitor comment.

mluder
06-07-2013, 02:57 AM
Not really a stupid comment...

We recently showed Back To The Future 3 to my 6-year-old son Liam. We felt it was probably the only one safe enough for his age.

Nevertheless, he keeps asking me if our car can travel through time if we go 88 mph. I explained to him that first of all the speedo doesn't go up to 88. But I told him you can buy an alternate speedo that goes past 88.

He follows this up with, "If we got that could we travel through time?" I said, "No, buddy it's just a movie. You can't really do that."

He looks back at the flux capacitor I have mounted on the parcel shelf... "What about that thing - if we hook that up can we?" "Nope," I say. "It's just pretend - it's not real."

He's not done yet... After a few minutes he comes back with, "What if we buy all the other parts and put them on the car? Can we travel through time then?"

"No bud - it's not currently possible for anyone to travel through time. But it would be cool if we could."

If we ever get a chance to meet Oliver and Terry Holler and there BTTF car I think my son's head might explode.

Cheers
Steven

Tillsy
06-07-2013, 04:14 AM
We recently showed Back To The Future 3 to my 6-year-old son Liam. We felt it was probably the only one safe enough for his age.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you wait until 6 years and why part 3?

Just curious as my daughter saw part 2 when she was 2.5, and by a little after 3 saw all three movies. She's nearly 4 now and part 2 remains her favourite, I've lost count the number of times she has watched it, and regularly plays the iPad game.

Strangely she didn't get into the television series at all - has only watched a couple of episodes I think.

Yet she also loves Ghostbusters (with lots of scenes skipped or Daddy coincidentally getting in her way during certain scenes) and really adores the television series for that one... not sure why the difference there.

I don't get time travel questions from her, there's no way she even realises any of that, but she's always asking why "daddy's car" can't fly...

ALEXAKOS
06-07-2013, 04:41 AM
Ah, young padawan... in time you will learn :)

Ah. Well I will never know! In Greece min will be the monarch and most of the people never heard of the word or name Delorean. When I show them the picture they say " isn't that a Lotus?"

When I show them the bttf image they go "oh, I thought it was an Audi quattro 100 in the movie."

dohhhhhh!

Imagine, many think that the dukes of hazard used a Opel kadet (someone even made a generallee out of it and made it to a magazine photoshoot) and the night rider was a Mazda rx-7

Europeans! Hahaha!

So yes I will have long explanations to do.

Jonathan
06-07-2013, 09:41 AM
We recently showed Back To The Future 3 to my 6-year-old son Liam.

Nevertheless, he keeps asking me if our car can travel through time if we go 88 mph....

That's funny Steven. Seems like all kids go through that "but why?" questioning phase, hehe :)

pezzonovante88
06-07-2013, 10:06 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what made you wait until 6 years and why part 3?

Just curious as my daughter saw part 2 when she was 2.5, and by a little after 3 saw all three movies. She's nearly 4 now and part 2 remains her favourite, I've lost count the number of times she has watched it, and regularly plays the iPad game.

Strangely she didn't get into the television series at all - has only watched a couple of episodes I think.

Yet she also loves Ghostbusters (with lots of scenes skipped or Daddy coincidentally getting in her way during certain scenes) and really adores the television series for that one... not sure why the difference there.

I don't get time travel questions from her, there's no way she even realises any of that, but she's always asking why "daddy's car" can't fly...

I must have been three years old when I first started watching BTTF. I think II was my favorite (and still is) - I liked the 2015 parts. Ghostbusters was another one that I would CONSTANTLY watch, but certain parts scared me lol. Ahh, to be a kid again.

Jonathan
06-07-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't remember how part 3 compares to the first two, but I've had other parents say to me that they didn't realize how much swearing was in the movies. It seems pretty tame when you're an adult, but to parents trying to raise their kids without that sort of influence, even the "serious shit" or "what happens to me in the future? Do I become an asshole or something?" can be enough to get some folks to wait until their kids are a bit older to watch them for the first time.

Dangermouse
06-07-2013, 03:21 PM
"Oh, is that the little flat car in the parking lot?" says a cow-orker when overhearing that I have a D.?

Jonathan
06-07-2013, 03:54 PM
All of 5 minutes into the first time out with the car this season. I get a fresh tank of gas at the station down the street and buddy a couple pumps over came up with this:

Him: "So, do you think you'll ever figure out if this was one of the ones they smuggled the cocaine in?"
Me: (I looked over at him, don't believe I managed to think of anything to say, probably raised my eyebrows acknowledging his comment...)
Him: "It's really too bad."
Me: (Still don't think I said anything at this point... partly wondering if I can stick to this idea of ignore the coke-joke guys, and partly just baffled...)
Him: "That's a really nice DeLorean though."
Me: "Thanks."

I'm sure I had some of this thread going through my mind in the 5-10 seconds the conversation lasted. I'm kinda glad I resisted the urge to zing this guy. He had been over there most of the time I was fueling up, so no doubt he did have some time to think up what he wanted to say. I figure if the best thing he can come up with is a coke-joke, I'll just smile and nod :) Have a nice day, here's your sign.

Tillsy
06-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I don't remember how part 3 compares to the first two, but I've had other parents say to me that they didn't realize how much swearing was in the movies. It seems pretty tame when you're an adult, but to parents trying to raise their kids without that sort of influence, even the "serious shit" or "what happens to me in the future? Do I become an asshole or something?" can be enough to get some folks to wait until their kids are a bit older to watch them for the first time.

Good point. I seem to be lucky that my daughter (so far) appreciates that adults say/do things that are not appropriate for kids to copy, only need to tell her four or five times and she never does it again :)

thirdmanj
06-08-2013, 04:27 PM
"Oh, is that the little flat car in the parking lot?" says a cow-orker when overhearing that I have a D.?

I've heard that too. I kinda like it, it's true. I don't often see her that way, but a buddy of mine mentioned it the other day, "it looks sooo flat from the front when you were driving up the other day."

Ryan King
06-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Walked out to my car today to find two guys running their hands all over my stainless on top of the doors. I walked up behind them, unlocked the car with my remote, and asked "Can I help you?"
Took them by total surprise. Why do people have to just touch all over it? I wouldnt go up to someone's Corvette or even Toyota and rub my hands all over it. Jesus Christ people.....

DMCflux
06-09-2013, 02:43 AM
A guy in a Harley pulls up to me at a light. He says " so what year are you going to?" I just looked at him. He must have thought about his comment because then he says " oh you must hear that all the time..." I said yes. He said have a nice day and rode away.

DrJeff
06-09-2013, 09:26 AM
A guy in a Harley pulls up to me at a light. He says " so what year are you going to?" I just looked at him. He must have thought about his comment because then he says " oh you must hear that all the time..." I said yes. He said have a nice day and rode away.

Technically it would be correct to say that you are planning to travel through time at the speed of light (C) into 2013 and beyond (note: no flux capacitor required).

Nicholas R
06-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Technically it would be correct to say that you are planning to travel through time at the speed of light (C) into 2013 and beyond (note: no flux capacitor required).

I'm not sure if that makes sense. Can you elaborate?

As you approach the speed of light in space, time moves exponentially slower for you putting you in the future when you slow down. Traveling through time at light speed doesn't quite make sense to me since its a measure of the rate of motion not time.

When asked, I usually just say I'm headed to the future at normal speed; a rate of about 60 minutes per hour. :big grin:

Sidaries
06-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Yesterday, I've been on a car show, and a guy asked me if I want an original music player for my car. I asked, that if he talks about the original Craig cassette player, but he said: "No. The original Becker CD player, what had been put to Mercedes and BMW too."
It was hard to convince him, that CDs were not in market, when the Deloreans were produced. Actually, I don't think, that he believed me.

MML
06-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Walked out to my car today to find two guys running their hands all over my stainless on top of the doors. I walked up behind them, unlocked the car with my remote, and asked "Can I help you?"
Took them by total surprise. Why do people have to just touch all over it? I wouldnt go up to someone's Corvette or even Toyota and rub my hands all over it. Jesus Christ people.....

I was at a show today, and I ended up with more fingerprints than an episode of CSI. Ten minutes after you clean them off it's as bad as ever.

Jonathan
06-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I was at a show today, and I ended up with more fingerprints than an episode of CSI. Ten minutes after you clean them off it's as bad as ever.

Haha, now that's funny. Might have to come up with something along these lines as a joke/gag to have in the car... like pull out a CSI hoodie at the end of the show just to get a laugh out of the guys parked beside you. Or put a CSI-looking sticker or label on your Windex bottle. The more subtle the better.

Come to think of it, a while back there was an idea to get one of those "back in 5 minutes" type signs. You know, the one where you can move the hands on the clock to show what time you'll return... but purposely set it for a time that is before you left, lol.

Shep
06-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Come to think of it, a while back there was an idea to get one of those "back in 5 minutes" type signs. You know, the one where you can move the hands on the clock to show what time you'll return... but purposely set it for a time that is before you left, lol.Thinkgeek used to sell one of those that was actually a functional clock. If you're going to be at the show for a long time (say, at the next DCS), you can set the clock to be 10-15 minutes slow as if you have already returned prior to the person getting to your car. They no longer sell it, but I found at Amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Will-Return-Wall-Clock/dp/B000F00AUK). I actually might pick me up one of these things as a subtle BTTF reference for future car shows ;)

Of course, the second hand is somewhat of a giveaway, but that can be removed.

Nicholas R
06-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Thinkgeek used to sell one of those that was actually a functional clock. If you're going to be at the show for a long time (say, at the next DCS), you can set the clock to be 10-15 minutes slow as if you have already returned prior to the person getting to your car. They no longer sell it, but I found at Amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Will-Return-Wall-Clock/dp/B000F00AUK). I actually might pick me up one of these things as a subtle BTTF reference for future car shows ;)

Of course, the second hand is somewhat of a giveaway, but that can be removed.
Haha! That's pretty awesome! I may have to get one of those for my cubicle :biggrin:

Jimmyvonviggle
06-10-2013, 12:48 AM

What we have to figure is a way to send an electrical charge through the stainless, so when people feel the need to touch they get a little zip. Of course standing 5 feet away and filming it would make for some good entertainment.

I know I am sick. :monkeys:

DeLorean03
06-10-2013, 12:58 AM
That has actually been discussed, and to me, it is not worth the possible lawsuit/vandalism done to your car over it.

Dangermouse
06-10-2013, 08:59 AM
I was at a show today, and I ended up with more fingerprints than an episode of CSI.

That goes in my Little Book of DeLorean Quotes along with JimJams "frying bacon" one :)

Shep
06-11-2013, 09:58 PM
That has actually been discussed, and to me, it is not worth the possible lawsuit/vandalism done to your car over it.What if you hooked it up as a sensor-type thing, where whenever someone touched the stainless, a recorder would say "please no touching" or similar? Something like a bastardized iChime Digital Doorbell (http://www.ichime.com/). Makes me wonder since it's possible to "zap" someone if it's possible to detect said "zap"...

vwdmc16
06-12-2013, 12:09 AM
I was flagged down by a man missing a few teeth as I was leaving the gas station, He yelled out " Ya car fer sale?!" "..... Sorry No" I Replied. He shook his head " Ah damn it Christ!:swear1:" Then he sped off producing the biggest burnout out of the parking lot he could manage in his POS yellow Saturn that had a head shaped hole in the windshield, the kind made from an unrestrained passenger.

Only after his smoke cloud cleared I should have yelled out " Wait come back sir, your impressive driving skills changed my mind!"

DashEight
06-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Had a few guys stop and talk at my shop this past weekend. One of them announced out of nowhere:
“The Delorean has the up and down doors, the convertible Delorean they badged as a Cadillac and called it the Allante. It’s stainless too only they painted them because they were more expensive.”

Michael
06-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Had a few guys stop and talk at my shop this past weekend. One of them announced out of nowhere:
“The Delorean has the up and down doors, the convertible Delorean they badged as a Cadillac and called it the Allante. It’s stainless too only they painted them because they were more expensive.”

That's almost too stupid to believe. This gets the "stupid comment of the year" nomination.

jawn101
06-12-2013, 01:26 AM

Wow, that's a new one... :)

DeLorean03
06-12-2013, 01:53 AM

Dude. Most of these pages of comments don't bother me - but this - what in the WORLD...?

His intelligence is probably about as high as his skill to catch bullets with his teeth....

DashEight
06-12-2013, 02:22 AM
That's almost too stupid to believe. This gets the "stupid comment of the year" nomination.

I didn't respond because he was talking to his buddies when he said it. I had gone back to working on the car at the time. I don't think these were "car guys." They didn't need me to run through the gee-whiz info on the car. On the flip side of this association of cars, I know zero about the Cadillac. It might very well have been styled by the same folks for all I know. So while I know that they have nothing to do with each other, I didn't feel the need to get actively involved in the conversation when I could tell you zero about the Cadillac.

NightFlyer
06-12-2013, 02:42 AM
I didn't respond because he was talking to his buddies when he said it. I had gone back to working on the car at the time. I don't think these were "car guys." They didn't need me to run through the gee-whiz info on the car. On the flip side of this association of cars, I know zero about the Cadillac. It might very well have been styled by the same folks for all I know. So while I know that they have nothing to do with each other, I didn't feel the need to get actively involved in the conversation when I could tell you zero about the Cadillac.

The Allante was designed/styled by Pininfarina. Most (but not all) body panels are aluminum, not stainless. The bodies were put together in Italy on the same line that makes Ferrari's. Then the cars were flown on a specially modified 747 to GM's Hamtramck Assembly in Detroit, Michigan, where they were mated to the chassis, drive-train, and interior.

I've actually been looking to buy an Allante for the last couple years - just haven't found the right one at the right price yet!

Dangermouse
06-12-2013, 08:15 AM

I want what he's on :) As Michael says SDCOTY right there

thirdmanj
06-12-2013, 09:09 AM

You ask him if he found the cocaine in your doors? wtf.

Farrar
06-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Whenever someone tells me something outrageous about my own car, I chuckle like they're making a joke and say "Oh, really?" sarcastically. Either they're intelligent enough to catch the sarcasm, and they stop... or they take my laughter as an invitation to let the bullshit flow freely, and I enjoy a good laugh along the way.

Kane
06-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Just something I'm wondering from the community. I'm genuinely not trying to troll here. If you guys are tired of the BTTF jokes, then why encourage it by putting flux capacitors in the back or having the "be back in 5 minutes" signs set to the past? It seems from my brief time here that on the one hand some people want to enjoy the car as a classic 80s car with unique engineering (who loathe the fact that it was used in BTTF) and the other side that bought it because of the movies. Then there is this weird middle ground where someone asks you where your flux capacitor is, you point to the replica one in the back, and then get online and complain about the never ending BTTF jokes.

You can't have it both ways...