PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Farrar
06-12-2013, 01:57 PM
If you guys are tired of the BTTF jokes, then why encourage it by putting flux capacitors in the back or having the "be back in 5 minutes" signs set to the past?

The people who don't like BTTF jokes aren't the people who have BTTF props in their cars.

You need a thinner brush.

thirdmanj
06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Just something I'm wondering from the community. I'm genuinely not trying to troll here. If you guys are tired of the BTTF jokes, then why encourage it by putting flux capacitors in the back or having the "be back in 5 minutes" signs set to the past? It seems from my brief time here that on the one hand some people want to enjoy the car as a classic 80s car with unique engineering (who loathe the fact that it was used in BTTF) and the other side that bought it because of the movies. Then there is this weird middle ground where someone asks you where your flux capacitor is, you point to the replica one in the back, and then get online and complain about the never ending BTTF jokes.

You can't have it both ways...

Yes we can. You're making two categories a black and white if you will, where there is many more. Everyone's different. There's simply too many types of owner to reduce it down to two groups like you suggest. Some days the jokes are funny, other times they're not, or they're over used and unoriginal. The bttf connection will never die. The car is like the Mark Hamill of automobiles, everybody knows him but he'll always only ever be Luke Skywalker. Similarly the DeLorean will always be the Time Machine.

DeLorean03
06-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Just something I'm wondering from the community. I'm genuinely not trying to troll here. If you guys are tired of the BTTF jokes, then why encourage it by putting flux capacitors in the back or having the "be back in 5 minutes" signs set to the past? It seems from my brief time here that on the one hand some people want to enjoy the car as a classic 80s car with unique engineering (who loathe the fact that it was used in BTTF) and the other side that bought it because of the movies. Then there is this weird middle ground where someone asks you where your flux capacitor is, you point to the replica one in the back, and then get online and complain about the never ending BTTF jokes.

You can't have it both ways...

You need to remember a couple things:

1. Some of these posts are years old now, and some of us change our opinions and attitudes over time.

2. Some days you're in a good mood and can handle anything, and some days the cards just don't fall your way, and what would normally not bother you drives you nuts.

3. While this car is vastly well-known because of BTTF, some of us love it for what it is - a car, as well as the design, the history, and man behind the car: JZD. Nearly everyone who doesn't own one of these cars automatically assumes we only own this car because of BTTF, and that is a very presumptuous thing to do.

For example, I don't walk up to Ferrari 308/328 owners and say "So, you got any new Hawaiian shirts lately? Say hi to Higgie-baby for me when you get back to Robbin's!"

4. Lastly, the best way to say it - you won't understand until you own one of these cars. It's just - it's not the same looking in versus driving one and living it out.

I know you're not trolling, and I hope my answers come across as informative and not condescending. Those are about as short and sweet as I can make them without rambling.

Farrar
06-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Some days you're in a good mood and can handle anything, and some days the cards just don't fall your way, and what would normally not bother you drives you nuts.

Yeah, some days you're just out for a spin and someone shouts something inane at you and you ignore it and get on with your day. Other days, you're in the middle of ten sweaty, back-aching hours of working on the car and just out for a quick test drive hoping it doesn't die on you before you get home, so you're more likely to accuse the guy of having a room-temperature I.Q. and verbal diarrhea.

DeLorean03
06-12-2013, 06:47 PM
...so you're more likely to accuse the guy of having a room-temperature I.Q. and verbal diarrhea.

Awesome ... :hysterical:

Kenny_Z
06-12-2013, 08:47 PM
The car is like the Mark Hamill of automobiles, everybody knows him but he'll always only ever be Luke Skywalker.

No...he's the Joker. The best one. That's who I think of when I see or hear Mark Hamill.

thirdmanj
06-12-2013, 09:08 PM
No...he's the Joker. The best one. That's who I think of when I see or hear Mark Hamill.

Well then you're an anomaly. ;) and voice acting don't count.

Farrar
06-12-2013, 09:14 PM
voice acting don't count.

It may not count, but it pays... :)

thirdmanj
06-12-2013, 09:34 PM
It may not count, but it pays... :)

Oh you know what I mean! :D but true though. Very true.

symblieye
06-20-2013, 12:17 PM
For me it's usually:

Them: what happens when you hit 88?

Me: it falls apart

Them: :jawdrop:

Me: yeah, it's really old and needs some work.

"Have you tried to get up to 88mph?"

"What do you think I am? Stupid?"

pezzonovante88
06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
A video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXlLYaWVutA&lc=a1yOJTCVGfzl87CTrMG-Mv_5zuDUhphJYXou16_dOO4
In the COMMENTS section, the topic of the car's value is briefly discussed. It's just another example of someone who has no idea but thinks they do.

symblieye
06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
From my 27-year-old cousin when I told her I bought a Delorean: "What's a Delorean?"

My Mom teaches high school English, these kids are age 17-19. I've had my car for a few years. She talks about it in class sometimes:

Her: my son owns a Delorean

Them: what's a delorean?

Her: its the car from Back To The Future

Them: what's Back to the Future?

...sigh

Farrar
06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Last night I was taking out the trash and a neighbor of mine asked "So, how long until your car's done?"
"Oh, it'll never be done," I said. "It's 32 years old. Old cars are never done!"
We both had a little chuckle.

Although it was a jocular remark, on reflection I think there's more truth to that statement than I had the notion of at the time. I don't have unlimited money to spend on the car, but if I did I probably would still be doing things to it and it would never be "done." I am constantly thinking of things to improve, change, or add in the future. Meanwhile, the vendors in our community continue to come up with innovations to improve the DeLorean experience. There are owners who bought their DeLoreans brand new, and although they may have driven them pretty much unchanged for years and were happy, they are taking advantages of new upgrades and parts previously unavailable, etc.

But to enlarge the question: is any DeLorean ever "done"? The only time I think I could answer "yes" would be if I were readying one for a museum display or making it "concours original."

Just some thoughts over my extended coffee break. :coffee:

Farrar
06-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Them: what's Back to the Future?

Applause.

symblieye
06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
A video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXlLYaWVutA&lc=a1yOJTCVGfzl87CTrMG-Mv_5zuDUhphJYXou16_dOO4
In the COMMENTS section, the topic of the car's value is briefly discussed. It's just another example of someone who has no idea but thinks they do.

I finally got around to taking my car to its first cruise in after having it for a couple of years. I will admit that the unwitting over-valuing of our cars is always a little flattering to me while the unwitting under-valuing is always a little insulting to me, but I always take it in stride.
While at the cruise in a kid pulled up in what he had brought and was floored that he had parked next to a delorean.

Him: that yours?

Me: yup

Him: man, that's nice, I've seen those for a lot, they're worth what like $100,000 right?

Me: thanks man, preciate it.

(What I wanted to say but didnt) It IS my friend! But, for you, today only, I will part with it for 90k. :smile:

Why didnt I respond with that you ask? Because I was busy making friends with the guy on the other side of me who was knowledgeable about the car and who came in his Lotus and has a Ferrari at home :smile:

Dangermouse
06-20-2013, 03:51 PM
But to enlarge the question: is any DeLorean ever "done"? The only time I think I could answer "yes" would be if I were readying one for a museum display or making it "concours original."

This one's about done, I'd say

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19973&d=1371757825

Stainless
06-20-2013, 03:55 PM
This one's about done, I'd say

Wow. Is there a story with this picture?

Farrar
06-20-2013, 06:36 PM

An unfortunate concatenation of circumstances involving LSD, desert climate, and buffer wheels -- a dangerous combination.

Tillsy
06-20-2013, 07:33 PM

Damn, that DeLorean will never fly again ;)

Dangermouse
06-20-2013, 09:18 PM
An unfortunate concatenation of circumstances involving LSD, desert climate, and buffer wheels -- a dangerous combination.

Guess or an old story?

bruscreen
06-20-2013, 10:19 PM
An employee at an auto parts store informed me tonight that JZD was on a six-day cocaine high when he decided to build his own car. I told him the acquittal story, to which he responded by repeating his story almost word for word. Said he just learned about it last night, but didn't say where. Must've been a more reliable source than a Delorean owner.

Farrar
06-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Guess or an old story?

I was most definitely joking.

matt clark
06-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Not a comment as such... but definitely stupid :)

Dangermouse
06-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Actually there is, now that I researched it a little

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1730-Awesome-DeLorean-for-sale!!!-Quick-somebody-bid-on-it!!!&highlight=7134

Kinda sad, and makes me regret selecting that particular picture from my collection.

Farrar
06-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Agreed. Sad now. :'(

DashEight
06-23-2013, 02:21 AM
So a little self disclosure today on the “stupid comment of the day.” It might have very well been I who said it.
I was at the gas station fueling up my Corolla GT-S. A guy, about my age, at the next pump says, “hey, is that the same car from Need for Speed?” I knew what he was talking about from the video game so I answered “Yeah, it’s an AE86 Corolla.” He says “Cool I used to drive that car in the game. How do you like it for real? I replied that I liked the light weight, rwd, and the high reving twin cam in it. He then asked if I had a DeLorean because I was wearing a shirt with the D on it. So I said “Yeah.” He replied: “bet that’s not as fun to drive because don’t those weigh like 7000lbs? I kinda laughed and said “yeah if you had 3300lbs of cocaine in it with you.” He said “oh” and that was that.

Roman Legion
06-23-2013, 02:28 AM
He replied: “bet that’s not as fun to drive because don’t those weigh like 7000lbs?

He must be thinking of the Northern Ireland tactical patrol version of the car being the 7k lbs variant. lol

DashEight
06-23-2013, 02:34 AM
He must be thinking of the Northern Ireland tactical patrol version of the car being the 7k lbs variant. lol

I have no idea. I kinda felt like an ass when he didn't "get" my follow up retort.

Roman Legion
06-23-2013, 02:56 AM
I have no idea. I kinda felt like an ass when he didn't "get" my follow up retort.

Well as much as I hate to quote the movie that shall not be named, it sums up that guy perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yau7Z3vMBo0

Dangermouse
06-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Two exchanges yesterday

First guy starts talking to me at a stoplight-

"Nice car, have you souped it up any?"

"No, it's all stock"

"So it just has that old 305 dog in it ?"

Assuming he meant engine size, I said " no, it's only about half that size"

"Oh" he says disappointedly and then backtracks " well it still looks cool"

The second guy impressed me by almost getting the engine correct right off the bat, though he called it a 2.8 liter TVR , pretty close. Turned out he worked for a Volvo dealer in FL back in the eighties.

r00b
06-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Overheard some people talking about my car, guy said "The real ones have..." couldn't make out what he said after that.

Jonathan
06-23-2013, 10:58 AM
So far this season I am batting 500.

50% of all comments I have had so far are in some way related to confusion with the Bricklin.

The other 50% is everything else combined (coke-jokes, aluminum, flux capacitor, etc.)

I know being in Canada has an effect on that, but I just had never noticed that many comments revolving around thinking the car was a Bricklin. Even some knowledgable people have said "something, something, something, ... but they're pretty much the same aren't they?"

It's bizarre to say the least. Anyone in the US or overseas see this Bricklin confusion alot too?

One guy this week starts in just as I was walking away to go to look at some other cars at the show and his story began with "back in the day I worked for Shell, and we something, something worked on the adhesive blah blah, and I remember the guys in New Brunswick... yada, yada - stop" as I said to him, "are you thinking about the Bricklin?" Oh, yea, I think you're right. ... bye for now.

Roman Legion
06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
So far this season I am batting 500.

50% of all comments I have had so far are in some way related to confusion with the Bricklin.

The other 50% is everything else combined (coke-jokes, aluminum, flux capacitor, etc.)

I know being in Canada has an effect on that, but I just had never noticed that many comments revolving around thinking the car was a Bricklin. Even some knowledgable people have said "something, something, something, ... but they're pretty much the same aren't they?"

It's bizarre to say the least. Anyone in the US or overseas see this Bricklin confusion alot too?

One guy this week starts in just as I was walking away to go to look at some other cars at the show and his story began with "back in the day I worked for Shell, and we something, something worked on the adhesive blah blah, and I remember the guys in New Brunswick... yada, yada - stop" as I said to him, "are you thinking about the Bricklin?" Oh, yea, I think you're right. ... bye for now.

As far as I have observed, the Bricklin isn't well known in the US. I had never heard of it until Chad mentioned he was buying one.

NightFlyer
06-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Overheard some people talking about my car, guy said "The real ones have..." couldn't make out what he said after that.

I'm constantly getting this as well, and I have no idea where it comes from. As far as I know, there has never been any replicas made of the DeLorean, as it would cost more to make a convincing replica than it would just to buy a 'real' DeLorean.

I honestly can't believe that some people think there's a Fiero under the stainless body panels - cracks me up every time I hear this one :hysterical:

Anyone in the US or overseas see this Bricklin confusion alot too?

The opposite it true here in the States - the Bricklin owners are constantly having their cars confused for DeLoreans, as opposed to vice versa.

sdg3205
06-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Earlier this week while registering 2510 in BC at the DMV.

Her: I need the car's weight
Me: about 2700 lbs
Her: It has to be from an authoritative source
Me: it's actually right on the VIN plate
Her: that doesnt count
Me: Here it is on wikkipedia
Her: That doesnt count either
Me: There's a DMC franchise in Seattle, can I get the manager on the phone for you?
Her: No, that doesnt count either.
Me: Does it bother you that your own bureaucracy makes your job so hard?
Her: Yes

I wanted to F*%& scream. No wonder people hate the DMV world over.

Roman Legion
06-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Me: There's a DMC franchise in Seattle, can I get the manager on the phone for you?

You: Shhh, just type two seven zero zero
Her: I..
You: Shhhh. Two seven zero zero.

Repeat as necessary or until they throw you out. lol

Kenny_Z
06-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Tell her you accidentally rolled it over your foot and it was about 2700 lbs. If that doesn't work tell her you couldn't bench press it and you know that 2700lbs is above your limit. If that doesn't work tell her you put it on a bathroom scale that went up to 300lbs and it spun around nine times. If that doesn't work walk back to the waiting room and pick a different number while hoping to get a more reasonable teller.

DashEight
06-23-2013, 06:33 PM
I would have got mouthy and told her flat out: "Everyone knows the car has to be under 2900lbs or the hover conversion is out of the question!"

Somehow all the jokes are funny if I beat someone to them while talking about my car...

Jonathan
06-23-2013, 06:44 PM
You: Shhh, just type two seven zero zero
Her: I..
You: Shhhh. Two seven zero zero.

Repeat as necessary or until they throw you out. lol

Wave and use the force if all else fails :)

refugeefromcalif
06-23-2013, 06:46 PM

In that situation, I think I'd have asked her for Her weight.

(Never know, might work)?

George

sdg3205
06-23-2013, 06:47 PM

HAHAHA!

Me: "You don't need to contact an authoritative source"

Her: "I don't need to contact an authoritative source"

Roman Legion
06-23-2013, 06:48 PM

Yep! haha It will work depending on what species she is, some are afterall resistant to mind tricks.

Jonathan
06-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Yep! haha It will work depending on what species she is, some are afterall resistant to mind tricks.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Nice!... that ties into the idea of asking her for her weight!!... Jabba the Hutt wouldn't tell you what he weighs either!! LOL

Roman Legion
06-23-2013, 07:06 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Nice!... that ties into the idea of asking her for her weight!!... Jabba the Hutt wouldn't tell you what he weighs either!! LOL

That's what thermal detonators are for. Of course, that would land you in a place comparable to the rancor pit, it's called prision and instead of a rancor, you have to fend off Bubba.

Dangermouse
06-23-2013, 08:47 PM
What's more authoritative than the vin plate?

Is everybody supposed to put their car on a weighbridge before going to the DMV?

Farrar
06-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Today, I was working inside the car with the battery disconnected, so I had my lantern on the rear parcel shelf illuminating my work area. A girl came by to chat. She must have seen the lantern inside the car, because she said "I can see your flux capacitor." So I checked my zipper. She laughed.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Today, I was working inside the car with the battery disconnected, so I had my lantern on the rear parcel shelf illuminating my work area. A girl came by to chat. She must have seen the lantern inside the car, because she said "I can see your flux capacitor." So I checked my zipper. She laughed.

Nice

Totally 80s
06-24-2013, 01:41 PM
I had that same problem in Hawaii. I had even brought in a Road and Track from 1981 saying what the weight was. She said it wouldn't work. So I had to take it to a big rig weigh in area to weigh the car. It was 12 pounds different from the Road and track article. After I brought back the paperwork stating the weight I asked her if she would like to log in the weight on the computer so the next poor sucker who has a Delorean doesn't have to go through what I did. She just shrugged and said no. Good ole Government in action.

LordFly
07-10-2013, 12:27 PM
The girl at the Burger King drive thru just said "Your car looks like the bat-mobile". Aside from having 4 wheels, I don't see the resemblance, but ok.

NightFlyer
07-10-2013, 12:31 PM
The girl at the Burger King drive thru just said "Your car looks like the bat-mobile". Aside from having 4 wheels, I don't see the resemblance, but ok.

What exactly do those Canadian bat-mobile's look like anyway? :wink:

Roman Legion
07-10-2013, 12:35 PM

Like this, but they are imported from the UK.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5EyC_89TE08/TTtC09LDuSI/AAAAAAAAAB4/L0gXYTmGlRk/s1600/70547330_18f66059df.jpg

DL4567
07-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Alright, new thing for D owners to have in the car at all times: a sheet with pictures of the 5 batmobiles, so that whenever an idiot says that, show them the sheet and say, "oh really? which one?"

Mark D
07-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Like this, but they are imported from the UK.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5EyC_89TE08/TTtC09LDuSI/AAAAAAAAAB4/L0gXYTmGlRk/s1600/70547330_18f66059df.jpg

Haha...

"Geoff"

Jonathan
07-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Not sure where Devon's Burger King girl was, but this one is near Orangeville, Ontario. It's about an hour North of Toronto, or less than two from London.

http://www.orangeville.com/community-story/1478858-shelburne-s-dark-knight/

This video is right in the SheckyQ - ODOC summer BBQ backyard. Maybe we'll spot him on Saturday? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUhaiRfl-CU

ALEXAKOS
07-10-2013, 03:14 PM
hahahahaha
Oh God, this has been a good set guys!
Gotta link those two together!

DMV Girl: "I need an authoritative source"
Dave: "The Burger King Girl in Canada said it is the Batmobile"
DMV Girl: "Oh, Canada eh? Well they know their stuff! Ok then" 8)

Farrar
07-10-2013, 07:14 PM
I have the sudden urge to pen a rock ballad called "Burger King Girl."

Jonathan
07-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Ding fries are done?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQyib5ZQZY

Kenny_Z
07-10-2013, 08:16 PM
I've seen a DeLorean in the Batcave in one of those DC encyclopedias. It was in the Batmobile parking lot area. You could only see the rear but was unmistakable as a black DeLorean. I bet the artist put it in as a joke. The Tumbler's profile does resemble a DeLorean...from about a mile away ;)

Roman Legion
07-10-2013, 08:35 PM
The Tumbler's profile does resemble a DeLorean...from about a mile away ;)

2km away while drunk and legally blind.

Dangermouse
07-10-2013, 09:16 PM

To the tune of Sk8r Girl ?

thirdmanj
07-11-2013, 07:31 AM
To the tune of Sk8r Girl ?

Or "Papa Don't Preach"? Or maybe Every Rose Has its Thorn?

Farrar
07-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Or "Papa Don't Preach"?

I prefer "Daughter Don't Sing."

vwdmc16
07-11-2013, 11:47 PM
At a kinda posh car show, overheard a rich desperate house wife looking woman reply to her friend as they walked past my car.

" I don't even know how my house cleaner cleans my refrigerator, All that stainless?" Shakes head...

jawn101
07-12-2013, 12:34 AM
At a kinda posh car show, overheard a rich desperate house wife looking woman reply to her friend as they walked past my car.

" I don't even know how my house cleaner cleans my refrigerator, All that stainless?" Shakes head...

Haha... I say, Caruthers.

What show was that?

vwdmc16
07-12-2013, 01:24 AM
One that Charlie Hall told me about, in EDH. A Niello Concourse preview show or something, 30 nice cars at a neat pub.

Dangermouse
07-12-2013, 11:59 AM

Props for knowing it is stainless, though.

And for knowing it is hard to keep clean. Even if one has a person for that sort of thing.

wrkey
07-15-2013, 10:59 AM
So silly me, as a new D owner, thinking that the oil filter is normal and could be found at the local Jiffy Lube... or that the drain plug was normal... so... don't berate me to much about but it did set up the following:

I pulled in the Jiffy Lube just cause was I was driving by and thought I'd see if they had the filter for it or could look it up. They were busy but the manager upon seeing Della came out to greet me and was more than willing to talk Delorean and see if he could look up the filter. We walked over the open bay areas where there was a computer they use to look up filter/oil specs and there was one guy (I'll call him Joe) already on the PC and there was a young guy (I'll call him SnotNose) doing the oil change on the car at the bay by the PC.

Manager: Joe (not real name), see if you can find the filter for that Delorean.
Joe: Ah man, that's a cool car. Who made them, I know it's a Delorean but is that the maker.
Manager: It's made by Delorean, it's a Delorean Delorean.
SnotNose: It's an AMC.
(manager and I both sniker and look at each other)
Me: No, It's a Delorean
SnotNose: I'm telling you, It's an AMC.
Me: Dude, I OWN one.
(manager and Joe fall out)
SnotNose: Whatever, it's an AMC.
Manager: These 'f#*$#$ing kids think they know everything.

Pretty dang funny.

Kenny_Z
07-15-2013, 03:39 PM
I hate when people say "whatever". How did you resist turning snotnose into bloodynose?

Jack
07-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Manager: These 'f#*$#$ing kids think they know everything.

Age has nothing to do with it.
I've ran into just as many ignorant "adults".

Roman Legion
07-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Age has nothing to do with it.
I've ran into just as many ignorant "adults".

Agreed, there are just lots of people out there that truly believe they know everything and sadly they breed and their habits and beliefs are passed on to their children.

Kane
07-15-2013, 05:36 PM
I don't think someone who has aspired to such greatness as being manager at a Jiffy Lube is in any position to comment on how much people know about anything.

Josh
07-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Dropped my frame off at the galvanizer today. There was some issues with the surface, the salesman was unsure if some of the contaminants could be removed. After pacing around it and looking at it for a few minutes and me eagerly awaiting his answer he says, "So you really like Back the the Future that much?" To which I answered, " Not anymore..."

Farrar
07-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Dropped my frame off at the galvanizer today. There was some issues with the surface, the salesman was unsure if some of the contaminants could be removed. After pacing around it and looking at it for a few minutes and me eagerly awaiting his answer he says, "So you really like Back the the Future that much?" To which I answered, " Not anymore..."

My response: "Back to the what?"

Josh
07-15-2013, 07:37 PM
My response: "Back to the what?"

I haven't tried that approach yet. I think I got about 5 bttf comments today. I will try that for next time, see the reactions haha.

refugeefromcalif
07-15-2013, 07:53 PM
I haven't tried that approach yet. I think I got about 5 bttf comments today. I will try that for next time, see the reactions haha.

I've used it before, it Bumfuzzles the person making the BTTF comment... :yesss:

George

Farrar
07-15-2013, 07:56 PM

The usual way it goes:
Me: "Back to the what?"
Them: "Back to the Future."
Me: "What's that?"
Them: "It's a movie."
Me: "Oh, when did it come out?"
Them: "1985."
Me: "I was six years old in 1985. I guess my parents didn't take me to see it."

Josh
07-15-2013, 08:16 PM
The usual way it goes:
Me: "Back to the what?"
Them: "Back to the Future."
Me: "What's that?"
Them: "It's a movie."
Me: "Oh, when did it come out?"
Them: "1985."
Me: "I was six years old in 1985. I guess my parents didn't take me to see it."

And I was -5. Works even better for me! Damn kids now adays.

JohnZ
07-16-2013, 02:34 AM
And I was -5. Works even better for me! Damn kids now adays.

And I was -4 years old, so this will work perfectly with me too!

:approve:

Notifier
07-16-2013, 07:21 AM
When people ask me if this is the car from Back to the Future, I correct them by saying "No, this is the car from Ghostbusters". This usually results in a dumbfounded look...

ALEXAKOS
07-16-2013, 01:27 PM
When people ask me if this is the car from Back to the Future, I correct them by saying "No, this is the car from Ghostbusters". This usually results in a dumbfounded look...
I guess you haven't been to that Burger King in Canada:P
See who would have that look.. :nervous:

Stainless
07-17-2013, 06:21 PM
I drove our DeLorean in a local parade a few weeks ago. My wife and I wrote down all of the stupid things we heard during the parade. Below is a sampling:
"Suicide doors!"
"Technology made that!"
"1995!"
"1968!"
"6,000 jigawatts!"
"You guys out of time?"

One of the funniest things that we saw was a little boy trying to get his dad's attention while repeatedly saying, "Dad, does that look like a time machine?" I swear he said it five times as we were driving by.

ALEXAKOS
07-18-2013, 02:27 AM
"Dad, does that look like a time machine?" I swear he said it five times as we were driving by.

Should have stopped next to him hushing him up with a "shhhhhhh!" and an eye twitch! ;) (like "let's not tell our secret" thing)

thirdmanj
07-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Should have stopped next to him hushing him up with a "shhhhhhh!" and an eye twitch! ;) (like "let's not tell our secret" thing)

Naaah. That shit will get you arrested stateside. ;)

ALEXAKOS
07-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Naaah. That shit will get you arrested stateside. ;)

hahaha Funny but nasty!

MTDMC
07-18-2013, 04:20 PM
I got another drug question at a car cruisin the other day. Guy was looking at my car and asked: "Is this the cocaine mobile?" My reponse: BULLSHIT!

Roman Legion
07-18-2013, 04:32 PM
I got another drug question at a car cruisin the other day. Guy was looking at my car and asked: "Is this the cocaine mobile?" My reponse: BULLSHIT!

Maybe the guy was a desperate, misinformed junkie looking for a fix?

refugeefromcalif
07-18-2013, 07:45 PM
I'm home in the middle of testing Dave M's. RPM relay and realized it was time to fill the tank. So I head out.
I'm at the gas station, (with the hood up, sitting on the fender filling the tank), and the guy from the next car over stops by, (before going in to pre-pay for his gas).

Guy: Nice car!
Me: Thanks.
Guy: I've never seen one before. You mean the gas tank's in the front?
Me: Yep, (I point down), about here. And the engine's in the rear.
Guy: Wow! That can't be safe. Not wonder the car didn't sell.

Then he leaves to pre-pay for his gas.
I'm Glad I finished filling my tank before he came back out and started filling his car.

George

DrJeff
07-30-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure if that makes sense. Can you elaborate?

As you approach the speed of light in space, time moves exponentially slower for you putting you in the future when you slow down. Traveling through time at light speed doesn't quite make sense to me since its a measure of the rate of motion not time.

When asked, I usually just say I'm headed to the future at normal speed; a rate of about 60 minutes per hour. :big grin:

Nick, I just saw this old posting, sorry for the delay in responding...

Special Relativity suggests that we travel through space-time at a constant speed, C (popularly known as the speed of light). If you are moving through the space dimensions at a very high speed, say very close to C, then your speed through the corresponding time dimension approaches zero, that is time slows (for you). For those of us (actually all of us) travelling through the three space dimensions at only a very tiny fraction of C (say walking or driving), then we are also traveling through the time dimension at nearly the full value of C. It gets confusing because we normally associate of speed with physical distance, whereas relativity says that space-time is the 'distance' we should be measuring. In everyday life of course we never travel fast enough to notice time slowing down - although it does feel like it at work on a Friday afternoon**.

So... at driving speed you are traveling into the future (of space-time) at (just a tiny fraction below) the speed of light (C), thus my statement "Technically you are going to travel into the future at the speed of light."

I'm not sure anyone really understands what C is yet other than the ultimate speed limit, the speed limit in space-time (not just space). Science only got this far because the mathematics works and all the evidence collected suggests that space-time and C give 100% correct predictions.

** You never feel as if your clock has slowed down (when you travel near the speed of light)... you experience what feels like the constant progress of time and only notice that you are running slower when you compare your clock to someone else's clock, and they were traveling slower through space than you. At the limit (C), when a photo strikes another particle, it would experience (if it could experience) an instantaneous aging of the universe around it and a very large displacement in its position in space. It would be like "whoa, WTH just happened!". If a spaceship could travel at near C with people on board to observe, they would see the aging of the Universe speed up around them.

wrkey
07-30-2013, 03:47 PM
This phenomenon has been proved by comparison of a pair of highly sensitive and accurate clocks. One was left stationary and one taken on a supersonic jet as it circled the globe. Comparison of the two clocks after the flight show that the one taken on the ride was a tiny fraction behind the one left on the ground. The had been in perfect sync until the flight.

Pretty crazy stuff.

Special Relativity suggests that we travel through space-time at a constant speed, C (popularly known as the speed of light). If you are moving through the space dimensions at a very high speed, say very close to C, then your speed through the corresponding time dimension approaches zero, that is time slows (for you). For those of us (actually all of us) travelling through the three space dimensions at only a very tiny fraction of C (say walking or driving), then we are also traveling through the time dimension at nearly the full value of C. It gets confusing because we normally associate of speed with physical distance, whereas relativity says that space-time is the 'distance' we should be measuring. In everyday life of course we never travel fast enough to notice time slowing down - although it does feel like it at work on a Friday afternoon**.

So... at driving speed you are traveling into the future (of space-time) at (just a tiny fraction below) the speed of light (C), thus my statement "Technically you are going to travel into the future at the speed of light."

I'm not sure anyone really understands what C is yet other than the ultimate speed limit, the speed limit in space-time (not just space). Science only got this far because the mathematics works and all the evidence collected suggests that space-time and C give 100% correct predictions.

** You never feel as if your clock has slowed down (when you travel near the speed of light)... you experience what feels like the constant progress of time and only notice that you are running slower when you compare your clock to someone else's clock, and they were traveling slower through space than you. At the limit (C), when a photo strikes another particle, it would experience (if it could experience) an instantaneous aging of the universe around it and a very large displacement in its position in space. It would be like "whoa, WTH just happened!". If a spaceship could travel at near C with people on board to observe, they would see the aging of the Universe speed up around them.

JohnZ
07-30-2013, 04:18 PM
"6,000 jigawatts!"

Ahah that's the best line for me!

:rofl:

I love when people mix up random quotes!

Spittybug
07-30-2013, 07:44 PM

:smoke1: Hit me again...

So if I piss off the bridge of the Enterprise going warp 8, who get's wet and when?

Farrar
07-30-2013, 08:36 PM
If you piss off the bridge of the Enterprise D, Worf will shoot you with his phaser.

Lenny
07-30-2013, 09:13 PM
:smoke1: Hit me again...

So if I piss off the bridge of the Enterprise going warp 8, who get's wet and when?

That's made me laugh out loud. The wife didn't get it

Hokie
08-03-2013, 11:08 PM
So I'm standing by my D at Cars & Coffee this morning.
Random dude: Where'd you find it?
Me: Close by. I waited until one was available close because I preferred not to travel.
Random Dude: I understand. That's what I do, I travel and buy cars all the time. You know, they had a really hard time selling the white DeLoreans, hardly anyone wanted a white one.
Me: Can't say that I've see a white one before.

LOL!

ALEXAKOS
08-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Me: Can't say that I've see a white one before.

Well... That is cause: "hardly anyone wanted a white one".:bigclap:

refugeefromcalif
08-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Random Dude: You know, they had a really hard time selling the white DeLoreans, hardly anyone wanted a white one.
LOL!

I can't understand why more white ones weren't made either. :confused:
They look quite nice to me...

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/bxWMsXUqrgk/hqdefault.jpg

:elmo1:

George

Michael
08-04-2013, 12:34 PM
The following exchange happened to me about 2 years ago. I thought of this the other day and I don't think I have ever mentioned it but here it is:

I waked into a beverage store to pick up a bottle of my favorite wine, as I was paying a girl walked in and was asking about my DeLorean parked outside, she was obviously very excited to see it and went on how nice it was. Before I could even say "Thank you" the guy behind the counter rolled his eyes and said "It's just a DeLorean" She ignored him and so did I. At the door I talked to her for a few seconds answering a question she had when he popped off again in a raised and aggravated voices "I don't know what the big deal is, you can buy them brand new for 25 thousand" He probably saw the Modern marvels segment. At the time it the segment was filmed, a refurb cost around 45k, and James was quoted as saying a good one will run you around 25k..so he probably got the numbers mixed up. I cocked my head and said it's more like 57k for a remanufactured car(which was the current price of a refurb at DMCH at the time). He then got really defensive saying "Yeahh, maybe with options..." I didn't even listen to the rest, I exited while he was still talking. He was probably one of 2 or 3 people that I have had see a DeLorean and left the encounter in a worse mood than they were in before they saw it.

Jimmyvonviggle
08-04-2013, 01:58 PM
I can't understand why more white ones weren't made either. :confused:
They look quite nice to me...

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/bxWMsXUqrgk/hqdefault.jpg

:elmo1:

George

Yes real nice.:confused2:

refugeefromcalif
08-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Yes real nice.:confused2:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20957&d=1375638986

http://dmctalk.org/images/smilies/what_the.gif

I don't see a white DeLorean here, I see an Abomonation.

I'd rather see someone take a Nice D, and make a Time Machine replica out of it than that.

George

Shep
08-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Last Tuesday I went to a car show, and right at the very end I had the most misinformed guy I've talked to up to this point. He looks at my engine bay and asks "Is this one of the four-cylinder models?" At this point I'm wondering why he asked instead of, you know, counting, but I told him "No, it's a six-cylinder". Then he asks "Oh, so it's one of those new ones?" "Nope, original engine". He gives me a confused look, so I continued "they all came with six cylinders". "Oh, so the new ones are eight cylinders then?" At this point I'm having a confused look trying to figure out what he's talking about and wondering where he's getting his information from. Then he says "I saw a special on the Discovery channel. They're making new ones down in, uh" "Houston." "Yeah, Houston" Then we start discussing the Stage 2 setup.

After that, he mentioned the supercharger (Stage 3) setup and how they haven't started producing that one yet, so he at least got that part. Frankly, I don't know if Stage 3 is being sold yet or not, but when one of these guys tells me they're making "new ones" in Houston, or that they have "all new parts" in Houston (both of which I got as well), I just continue the conversation as if they're correct, rather than taking the time to explain the whole "remanufactured" thing. They know the general idea, so I like to find out what else they know about the car, or what other questions they have, rather than being particular about how they say it. They're probably going to walk away and never have to use that information again, so it's mostly a moot point to explain to everyone who gets it wrong.

Interestingly, right before I left (after this guy), I had someone in a real thick accent who obviously spoke English as second language come up to me and ask "England?", so I said "Yes", knowing the language barrier would leave him confused if I tried to explain it was designed by an English company, made in Ireland, sold in the States, and largely funded by England. It's two out of four, close enough in my mind. Then he looked at the car some more and walked away. Suddenly I was able to place the accent -- it was Irish! This guy may very well have been living in Ireland when it was produced! :giddy:

"I don't know what the big deal is, you can buy them brand new for 25 thousand"Considering where he's working, this is the point where I would've been a dick back to him and said "Yeah, but it's more than you make in a year, right?" :hihi2: Ah, the many perks of having a college degree....

Ron
08-06-2013, 07:32 AM
OT - Stupid Remarks in General discussion can be continued HERE (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7840-Say-What-***SPLIT-From-Stupid-Comments-***)

symblieye
08-06-2013, 09:06 PM
OT - Stupid Remarks in General discussion can be continued HERE (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7840-Say-What-***SPLIT-From-Stupid-Comments-***)

We couldn't let it get to 88 pages... ?

DL5128
08-10-2013, 01:01 AM
I hope we are still talking about stupid remarks about the D here because I heard the real reason that production was halted. I overheard two fellows talking as they passed my car today at a show.

One said, "Yeah, they didn't go over because they were too heavy."

I heard other "facts" too.

Made of aluminum
GM stopped funding DeLorean
They were all built at the same time then some were titled as 1981s, some 82s etc.

I don't get as many "Where is the flux capacitor?", since I added to my FAQ page that I left it home.

Ron
08-10-2013, 07:47 AM
We couldn't let it get to 88 pages... ?
Won't be long...:wink:

ALEXAKOS
08-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Was at a shocks improter yesterday to look for alternatives..
So not to make this a looong story over there...
I took one forward and one aft shock and laid them on his desk
His first question...
- "what car are those from?" I am, thinking... Oh boy here we go
- Its a car made of european parts but sold in the US (to avoid explaining what a Delorean is)
- "what is it called?" Okay I realize I am not getting away with this...
- Its a Delorean
- "no way we can find anything of that!!!!! There are only 10 of those world wide!!" I am thinking..where do those facts come from???
- WHAT??! There are over 6000 of those around, over two hundred in europe alone and all parts used to make that car are found in porsches, lancias, volvos, renaults, fiat, lotus etc

So he calls around the dealers to find something along those lines for shocks. Here are the funny things he had to tell the other guys to explain what car he wants the shocks for:

1. its a movie car from a film called "Back in time" :rolleyes1:
2. Its a car made in the states by volvo :dead:
3. Looks like a ferrari :gunfire:
4. Its a movie that my kids watched not our age. (the guy is about 40ish with a 12 year old son) :chairshot:

Good things is after all that circus... he managed to find me a set of bilstein that will be customized to fit the D. The rear comes from the BMW 7th series and the front a telescopic set. All in all for under $400 :)

JohnZ
08-10-2013, 08:36 AM
ahahah that is nonsense! after all I think that it's still funny to talk with this kind of people! Knowing almost everything about the car must be amusing to hear what they can literally fabricate in their mind!

LordFly
08-13-2013, 03:19 PM
I had an amusing comment on my OOTATIME plate. It went something along the lines of "Oot-A-Time, it's funny because it's Scottish, and the car is Scottish."

This was about 3 minutes prior to someone saying something along the lines of "...another great Canadian invention".

I was a little surprised by both of these being at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. People are surprisingly mis-educated about our cars.

Jonathan
08-14-2013, 08:21 AM
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9565140

Random DeLorean reference on PTI yesterday. From stat boy, Tony Reali right towards the end, 19:45 or so. Back to the "past"? C'mon, man!

jparenti
08-18-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm not yet a DeLorean owner, but I can throw in a stupid comment:

Last year when I was getting my oil changed at a Honda dealership, I wandered into the showroom while I was waiting, and there sat a DeLorean -- only the second I've ever seen personally, and the first in 19 years. While admiring it, I asked how much they wanted. $28,000. I could tell it wasn't worth that much, but it was in nice condition. Then the salesman showed up.

"We could sell this for $40,000, if we wanted. They're VERY rare."

Yeah... I just stayed quiet. It was probably a $18,000 car that needed a fair amont of work. I'm not yet an expert though.

Then I made a comment about how the "Do not touch" sign was a good idea, what with the fingerprints and all.

"Yeah...we've tried to keep it clean. We used oven cleaner and a wire brush!"

The look on my face startled him and he asked me, "What? Is that bad?"

Wish I had written down the VIN now...

Kenny_Z
08-18-2013, 10:46 AM
I would have said "not unless you like scraping value off the car with every stroke." I hope you were able to educate him on the proper way to clean the car.

jparenti
08-19-2013, 12:40 AM
I gave the salesman some tips and told him to pass it along to his managers. I didn't even mention the fact that the grain of the stainless probably needed to be tended to (I noted some problem areas), since I didn't want to give him any tips he could misconstrue. He was shocked to learn that normal soap and water would be sufficient for most cleaning.

When me and my fiancé went back another day to see the car (she had never seen one in person), the same guy asked me to make an offer on the car. I laughed and said maybe I'd be in touch. They were way too proud of their "$40,000" DeLorean to entertain any offer I could have made. Somebody bought it not too long afterwards. They were either not local or squirreled it away, because I never have seen it on the road in the area.

Maybe the owner is here. It was at Ike Honda in Marion, Illinois, in August 2012.

Jonathan
08-19-2013, 08:13 AM
I haven't heard this one myself, but wondered if anyone else had?

I was washing the car in the driveway the other day and plenty of people walked or biked by in that time. I thought something clever instead of the usual flux capacitor, coke joke, or "hey, Marty!" would be if someone made a Biff comment. Because you're washing the car and all.

Like, "is that the second coat, Biff?"

I'd probably laugh pretty good if someone came up with that sort of thing, but not sure it would ever happen.

vwdmc16
09-01-2013, 02:58 AM
Heard alot tonight as I visited a car meet full of idiotic punks. Got too many flux cap. jokes to count. One guy said " Whoa, crazy nice car bro, did you actually buy that?" " Uhhh yes"

What is that supposed to mean? Does it look like something that can not be bought? Shouldnt be bought? insane to buy?

Also a large fellow that honestly looked inbred went on and one about the "New Deloreans" that are being made. " These two guys bought the DMC franchise and are now building theses completely new cars from scratch, called the dmc 21, All new, you should look it up....blah blah......"

I tried to correct him and explain the DMCH reman cars which he was thinking about but he said NO I was wrong these are NEW. I even pulled out the thing that usually shuts up the know-it-alls. " Well I own a real DMC and am very involved with the DMC community online and in person, I'm pretty sure I know what im talking about (you do not, shut up)" But no that wouldnt make him stop.... some people.

mac
09-01-2013, 03:41 AM
Still wonder why people think this is aluminium every time I hear that... Even a metal worker craftsman explained that to me why it *is* aluminium, recently. :eek7:

Josh
09-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Still wonder why people think this is aluminium every time I hear that... Even a metal worker craftsman explained that to me why it *is* aluminium, recently. :eek7:

Me too man... My expectations have been downgraded now that if some one knows the car is stainless I am impressed. People think my frame is aluminum now as well as it is galvanized.

thirdmanj
01-05-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm filling up as the gas station, like ya do, and this old guy walks up and says, "Whoa a DeLorean. I haven't seen one of those in about 30 years." Shit you not. I don't think he realized his own joke.

Tillsy
01-05-2014, 10:12 PM
I'm filling up as the gas station, like ya do, and this old guy walks up and says, "Whoa a DeLorean. I haven't seen one of those in about 30 years." Shit you not. I don't think he realized his own joke.

That's awesome - whether intentional or not :)

Roman Legion
01-06-2014, 02:31 AM
I haven't heard this one myself, but wondered if anyone else had?

I was washing the car in the driveway the other day and plenty of people walked or biked by in that time. I thought something clever instead of the usual flux capacitor, coke joke, or "hey, Marty!" would be if someone made a Biff comment. Because you're washing the car and all.

Like, "is that the second coat, Biff?"

I'd probably laugh pretty good if someone came up with that sort of thing, but not sure it would ever happen.

If you drive out to Vegas in your D and wash your car, I'll ask you that if you want..lol

We all at some point do this. Last time I can recall doing this was in high school geology when I put scoria in water (I thought it was pumice) and it sank, to which I said "Huh, it sank like a rock". If he didn't realise the joke he made and you told him, I'd be willing to bet he would have found it way funnier than you or I do. Still a funny happening regardless. :thumbup2:

DCUK Martin
01-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Just thought I'd vent my spleen over probably the most common comment I get, always politely:

"wow, you don't see one of them very often, do you?"

When aimed at someone who has at least one on the driveway permanently, it's a really stupid thing to say....

Tillsy
01-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Just thought I'd vent my spleen over probably the most common comment I get, always politely:

"wow, you don't see one of them very often, do you?"

When aimed at someone who has at least one on the driveway permanently, it's a really stupid thing to say....

It's a figure of speech, you really want them to add a disclaimer to the end of their comment to exclude you? ;)

DL4567
01-07-2014, 05:17 PM
If you answered with a tongue in cheek "well, I do", I'm sure they'd realize.

thirdmanj
01-08-2014, 06:51 AM
We all at some point do this. Last time I can recall doing this was in high school geology when I put scoria in water (I thought it was pumice) and it sank, to which I said "Huh, it sank like a rock". If he didn't realise the joke he made and you told him, I'd be willing to bet he would have found it way funnier than you or I do. Still a funny happening regardless. :thumbup2:

:umm: cool. I had no idea.

Rich_NYS
02-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Today I heard a good one that was actually funny, not stupid.

This morning I called a neighborhood friend to help guide me onto the [narrow] car trailer I borrowed. I didn't tell him I bought a DeLorean, and I had the doors open when he pulled into the driveway.

First thing he said when he got out of his car: "why don't you just fly it up there?!"

hahaha...good one.

Jonathan
02-15-2014, 07:22 PM
First thing he said when he got out of his car: "why don't you just fly it up there?!"

Tell him to stop being so silly. The Wilson Hover Conversions won't be available until next year (2015)... hehe.

Hokie
03-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Took the D to the local golf course. Dude walks up and says, "Hey man, welcome to the 70's!"

jawn101
03-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Took the D to the local golf course. Dude walks up and says, "Hey man, welcome to the 70's!"

A lot of these probably made a whole lot more sense in the mind of the commenter :)

DashEight
03-23-2014, 02:14 AM

Reply with: "You must be the caddy, My clubs are behind the seats."

Jonathan
03-23-2014, 07:23 AM

A lot of these probably made a whole lot more sense in the mind of the commenter :)

Lets hope he meant your SCORE that day on the golf course.

SIMid
03-24-2014, 05:41 PM
This happened at a local car meet I attended on Sunday night.

http://i60.tinypic.com/16bxamo.jpg

Rich_NYS
03-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Wow.

pezzonovante88
03-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Wow.

DeLorean03
03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Just think ...... they vote too o_O .....

Kane
03-24-2014, 10:33 PM

But they're in Australia, right? So let them vote all they want. Changes nothing here.

Michael
03-24-2014, 10:35 PM

Who do they vote for? :evil3:

ALEXAKOS
03-25-2014, 03:34 PM
I betscha that guy in the white shirt is not the owner. Just a smart ass Lamborghini wanabe owner messing around with visitors minds! hahahaha

DL4567
03-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Nevermind the Lambo confusion, who takes a picture of a car with 3 people standing in the way? Wait a few seconds and get a clear shot.

Michael
03-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Wait a few seconds and get a clear shot.

That's a tall order with a DeLorean. Ever been at a show and wanted to leave but didn't want to seem rude to someone looking at your car? As soon as one leaves 2 more show up... That can turn into a long wait as well.

Tillsy
03-25-2014, 05:23 PM
That's a tall order with a DeLorean. Ever been at a show and wanted to leave but didn't want to seem rude to someone looking at your car? As soon as one leaves 2 more show up... That can turn into a long wait as well.

Yeah like filling up with gas - took me nearly 20 minutes to get away once :(

SIMid
03-25-2014, 05:50 PM
I "thumbed" it for it's stupidity. :dork:

DL4567
03-25-2014, 08:45 PM

My biggest problem with taking pictures at car shows is that you can see a nice car with a clear view and look at it unobstucted for as long as you want, but the second you raise your camera to take a picture, someone walks in the way, and then stands there contemplating life and the car for an eternity. And then you sigh, lower the camera a bit, patiently wait a minute, and then they finally walk away --- only to be replaced (or should I say displaced?) by someone else in perfect synchronization. It's very frustrating. But if you're patient enough, you'll finally get a clear shot.

JohnZ
03-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Ahah here in Belluno we have a newspaper's photographer that puts himself in EVERY (I mean, every) shot we do with our video-cameras! If you are there to shoot some kind of an event (I'm talking about TV news)... you can bet that he will be there to ruin your shootings! He's everywhere!

:banghead::gunfire:

Michael
03-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Ahah here in Belluno we have a newspaper's photographer that puts himself in EVERY (I mean, every) shot we do with our video-cameras! If you are there to shoot some kind of an event (I'm talking about TV news)... you can bet that he will be there to ruin your shootings! He's everywhere!

:banghead::gunfire:

Joey Gowdy is in Italy?

DMCVegas
03-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Joey Gowdy is in Italy?

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/fuck-that-bitch-yao-pff.png

JohnZ
03-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Hey who is it?

:question: :D

micmak
04-20-2014, 04:31 PM
So today I did something that I have only ever done one time before: I took my DeLorean to a coin operated DIY car wash. I only did it because I don’t have my outside hose connected up for the season just yet. So as I am wiping the car down after washing it, one of the employees comes along and starts a stupid conversation:
Employee: “I know the history of these cars.”
Me: “Oh yeah?”
Employee: “yeah, all the drug smuggling.”
I start to laugh.
Employee: “All the cocaine in the panels – oh yeah”
Me: “C’mon are you serious? Do you really believe that crap?”
Employee: “Oh I don’t just believe it, I am SURE it happened.”
Me: “ok”.
He walked away after an awkward moment of no more conversation between us. What an idiot.

How has such a false story managed to get so much traction over the years?

......Mike......

Lenny
04-20-2014, 05:09 PM
I told one guy once that I found the secret kilo and sold it and that's how I paid for the car.

sdg3205
05-17-2014, 04:12 PM
We are at a car show now and just got the most epic stupid comment. A guy walking by:

"Deloreans. I can't believe they kept them."

Digest that for a while...

jawn101
05-17-2014, 08:30 PM
We are at a car show now and just got the most epic stupid comment. A guy walking by:

...what?

sdg3205
05-17-2014, 09:03 PM
...what?

Right?!

MML
05-18-2014, 10:56 AM

My brain just shut down trying to process that comment.

PB Co
05-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Maybe he forgot a word. 'Can't believe they kept [making] them.' Or perhaps a judgement call on all owners? Sir, your comments make no sense whatsoever. Please elaborate on your criticisms of a car everyone else loves.

I had my car out for some photos in front of a building with a stainless facade and a guy stops in the lot to chat. Insists there was a four cylinder model and that I'm lucky I have the six. Funny because he knew all about R12-R134 conversions and still knew that it was a PRV.

But the real stupid comment of the day goes to my best friend. Loved the car my entire life and I am always going on about it. He tells his dad, yes the body is completely unpainted aluminum.

Kenny_Z
05-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Isn't Proto-1 a 4 cylinder or was it one of the other prototypes? Maybe he was thinking about that.

MML
05-19-2014, 03:04 PM
He tells his dad, yes the body is completely unpainted aluminum.

Nooo no no, it's silver paint, don't you know??!!

Mark D
05-19-2014, 03:08 PM

That reminds me of that Lewis Black stand up...He over heard some girl say something like "If it weren't for my horse, I never would have never spent that year in college"

:confused2:

Some guy
07-09-2014, 05:42 PM
I talked to a friend of mine for like 20 minutes about my D. You know the normal stuff, how much, motor, speed, who works on it and where to get parts. Then the story goes to what it is like to own the car. The attention, the pictures and the infinite amount of BTTF quote. I tell him how much i am burned out on them. It is like 1 minute later a guy drives by and my friend goes "Were about to go back in time" I just walked away shaking my head. Then he goes "that was not a quote from the movie".

Rich_NYS
07-10-2014, 01:21 AM
I'm really enjoying the car, so although these things do get annoying, I do like the movie and I try to have fun with it anyway.

Everybody should try this at least once, it's pretty funny:

I was getting gas on the way back from DCS and a guy came up and said [with a really weird inflection] : "now all you need is a flux capacitor."

So I looked at him like I had no idea what he was talking about and said: "huh?"

Him: You know, a flux capacitor....from the movie.

Me, shaking my head looking confused: What movie?

Him: BTTF....haven't you seen it?! They made a time machine out of a Delorean (now HE'S the one looking confused.)

Me, pausing and looking completely perplexed: Oh, wait! That's a really old movie, right? I think I saw it back when I was in high school....so it's like 30 years old.

Him, slowly thinking and answering: Ya...I guess it is (he's looking more confused now, but also realizing he really is talking about a pretty old movie like it was released last year.)

Me: OK...I remember it now! Ya....that was quite a while back but I remember: they DID have a Delorean in it.....cool movie, right?

Then we talked for a bit and I almost felt bad for never letting on to him that I was joking about not knowing what a FC is, he was a pretty nice guy.

Butttt....it was a lot of fun and I'm going to do it again -hahaha!

SIMid
07-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Should throw them off when they start questioning.

"Nice Delorean! Does it have ....."
"I know you, we met before haven't we?"
"No, are you sure?"
"Yeah, I saw you 2 weeks from today."

That will make them pause to sink in what you said. Enough for you to grin and talk to someone else, or pay for petrol, etc.

Kane
07-10-2014, 02:29 AM
I'm really enjoying the car, so although these things do get annoying, I do like the movie and I try to have fun with it anyway.

Everybody should try this at least once, it's pretty funny:

I was getting gas on the way back from DCS and a guy came up and said [with a really weird inflection] : "now all you need is a flux capacitor."

So I looked at him like I had no idea what he was talking about and said: "huh?"

Him: You know, a flux capacitor....from the movie.

Me, shaking my head looking confused: What movie?

Him: BTTF....haven't you seen it?! They made a time machine out of a Delorean (now HE'S the one looking confused.)

Me, pausing and looking completely perplexed: Oh, wait! That's a really old movie, right? I think I saw it back when I was in high school....so it's like 30 years old.

Him, slowly thinking and answering: Ya...I guess it is (he's looking more confused now, but also realizing he really is talking about a pretty old movie like it was released last year.)

Me: OK...I remember it now! Ya....that was quite a while back but I remember: they DID have a Delorean in it.....cool movie, right?

Then we talked for a bit and I almost felt bad for never letting on to him that I was joking about not knowing what a FC is, he was a pretty nice guy.

Butttt....it was a lot of fun and I'm going to do it again -hahaha!

I should try that with my Time Machine DeLorean. "What movie are you talking about, again? Was that the one with Ralph Macchio?"

jwrayth
07-10-2014, 04:29 AM
I've pulled a similar one regarding pretending you don't know Back to the Future. The guy got really irate about it, so I'm glad he didn't notice I was wearing an 88mph Speedometer t-shirt :biggrin:

robvanderveer
07-10-2014, 04:53 AM
Some 8yo kids came up to me.

"Wow, does this really travel in time?"

I responded: "yes absolutely"

Kids in shock talk to themselves for a while like "told you so" and "no way".

Me: "but it's not working correctly"

Kids: "what's wrong"

Me: "it can only travel forwards into the future 60 minutes per hour".

Kane
07-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Me: "it can only travel forwards into the future 60 minutes per hour".

The response I use now is "Well, I went from yesterday to today, but it took me a whole day to do it."

alexwolf1216
07-10-2014, 07:20 AM
I was at Oriely auto parts, and the guy just started the usual nonsense about car. He did show me, however, that they have a flux capacitor in their system as available for order. Its part number 121g, and this guy took it as far as calling several other stores to screw with them. "Hi, this is Kevin from Oriely 84. Can you check and see if you have part 121g in stock?" It was a freaking riot.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/EB00/121G.oap?ck=Search_121g_-1_-1&keyword=121g

robvanderveer
07-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Notice how the store name is 'oh really?'.

vps3922
07-10-2014, 08:11 AM
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/EB00/121G.oap?ck=Search_121g_-1_-1&keyword=121g

Nice one! Good that they added "Non-Functional Item Displayed For Entertainment Purposes Only" or I would have believed that it is the real deal! :biggrin:

alexwolf1216
07-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Nice one! Good that they added "Non-Functional Item Displayed For Entertainment Purposes Only" or I would have believed that it is the real deal! :biggrin:

Dont forget the upgrade pack......

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/EB00/121GMF.oap?ck=Search_121gmf_-1_-1&keyword=121gmf

Timebender
07-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Off topic but clever idea turning your 78 bay fatchick into a mobile photo booth...though a 23 window would work better. :)

robvanderveer
07-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Off topic but clever idea turning your 78 bay fatchick into a mobile photo booth...though a 23 window would work better. :)
i have totally and entirely no idea what you are talking about

Michael
07-10-2014, 07:51 PM

+1

alexwolf1216
07-10-2014, 10:22 PM

Thanks! Its a lot of fun to do events. Sadly in Texas, July-September are virtually useless due to the extreme heat. Air cooled + traffic + 110 temps = disaster

Didnt feel like payin the redic prices for the 23 ;)

Timebender
07-11-2014, 12:12 AM
i have totally and entirely no idea what you are talking about

Any VW bus from 1968 up to before the Vanagon is called a Bay Window, because of the big front window vs. the classic beautiful spilt window design from 1950 to 1967. The most classic of those being a 23 window which was produced from day 1 to 1963. Retail was $6500.. Which is kind of funny as most people think they were cheap surfer or hippy vans. Today a restored 23 window fetches over $100,000. The name fat chick was a nickname the Bay window busses picked up somewhere along the way.

The VW bus was the first vehicle to feature things that were considered "new, cutting edge, safety featured" and so forth on newer more modern cars such as cab forward design, dual sliding doors (1967 or earlier), a third brakelight, and a giant moonroof.

The other very collectible "bus" is actually the dual cab pickup which featured drop side gates.

robvanderveer
07-11-2014, 02:48 AM
Any VW bus from 1968 up to before the Vanagon is called a Bay Window, because of the big front window vs. the classic beautiful spilt window design from 1950 to 1967. The most classic of those being a 23 window which was produced from day 1 to 1963. Retail was $6500.. Which is kind of funny as most people think they were cheap surfer or hippy vans. Today a restored 23 window fetches over $100,000. The name fat chick was a nickname the Bay window busses picked up somewhere along the way.

The VW bus was the first vehicle to feature things that were considered "new, cutting edge, safety featured" and so forth on newer more modern cars such as cab forward design, dual sliding doors (1967 or earlier), a third brakelight, and a giant moonroof.

The other very collectible "bus" is actually the dual cab pickup which featured drop side gates.

Thanks for explaining! i'll have to ask my bro what kind he has, I believe it's a split window.Those nicknames aren't very common over here.

Citizen
07-11-2014, 08:28 AM

Thing is, he probably went back to his non-DeLorean friends and said...

"You won't believe this, but I met this DeLorean guy that actually didn't know anything about the BTTF movies! Can you believe that? That guy must live a really sheltered life!"

nullset
07-11-2014, 09:19 AM
"WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN IT RAINS"?

ME: Confused look.

My best guess is they thought I'd just stripped all the paint off of some 80s car and somehow it hadn't started rusting yet.

DMCVegas
07-11-2014, 10:40 AM
I should try that with my Time Machine DeLorean. "What movie are you talking about, again? Was that the one with Ralph Macchio?"

Yes, it was. He goes back in time, and his mom is this woman from Fresno who has a crush on him. Then he has to fight Biff Tannen's dojo full of thugs where Biff tells Billy Zane to sweep the leg while he's dressed as a skeleton at the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance. His mom's crush is destroyed when Martysan tries to polish the DeLorean using a circular waxing motion instead of going with the grain. Martysan writes a letter to future Emmet Miyagi warning him that rogue North Koreans are going to kill him for stealing their plutonium, and when he returns to the future, Doc Miyagi it turns out is safe. Although the North Koreans have made BBQ out of Einstein and ate him.

http://cdn.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/MoviefoneFuture-thumb-310x475-37535-195x300.jpg

nullset
07-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Yes, it was. He goes back in time, and his mom is this woman from Fresno who has a crush on him. Then he has to fight Biff Tannen's dojo full of thugs where Biff tells Billy Zane to sweep the leg while he's dressed as a skeleton at the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance. His mom's crush is destroyed when Martysan tries to polish the DeLorean using a circular waxing motion instead of going with the grain. Martysan writes a letter to future Emmet Miyagi warning him that rogue North Koreans are going to kill him for stealing their plutonium, and when he returns to the future, Doc Miyagi it turns out is safe. Although the North Koreans have made BBQ out of Einstein and ate him.

http://cdn.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/MoviefoneFuture-thumb-310x475-37535-195x300.jpg

Please tell me you have a larger version of that somewhere. I need a poster size version....

Citizen
07-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Now THAT was funny... and creative! I bet you were a day-dreamer during school. :)

Thomas

DMCVegas
07-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Please tell me you have a larger version of that somewhere. I need a poster size version....

I do not, no. I just found quickly on Google. There probably is something out there though.

Now THAT was funny... and creative! I bet you were a day-dreamer during school. :)

Thank you very much, and absolutely I was. How'd you know? :)

Gfrank
07-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Not sure if I'd call it stupid, but can't get over the amount of people, "is this a real delorean?" I've seen a lot of kit cars in my days, but never a fake delorean

robvanderveer
07-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Not sure if I'd call it stupid, but can't get over the amount of people, "is this a real delorean?" I've seen a lot of kit cars in my days, but never a fake delorean

Because it would take a tremendous amount of effort to start with a working car, and then add all the DeLorean design flaws to it. It's cheaper just to start with a D.

vwdmc16
07-16-2014, 01:47 AM

TOTALLY! I got like three of those in a row the last time i took my car out, From now on I inquire what exactly is a Fake Delorean? A kit car or something?

DMCVegas
07-16-2014, 11:44 PM
From now on I inquire what exactly is a Fake Delorean? A kit car or something?

It looks something like this:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/684/4229/39209614001_original.jpg

SIMid
07-17-2014, 12:23 AM

Could be worse ....

http://www.excitementcarmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/IMG_5776.jpg

vps3922
07-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Could be worse ....

Wow! A DeLorean with a hood ornament! Where can I get that? :hysterical:

Timebender
07-17-2014, 01:38 PM

The funny thing about that in a not so funny way is that a lot of kit cars used the Fiero as their base, like the Lamborghini Countach..

Kenny_Z
07-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Could be worse ....

I seriously thought this was a photo of a junkyard at first. I had to take a closer look before I realized it was a car show.

I realize that sounds harsh. I mean I saw that car and thought "that's a decent looking car to have been found in a junk yard. I wonder what happened. Oh...not a junk yard."

vwdmc16
07-17-2014, 09:45 PM
I suppose a silver Scirocco with louvers could be mistaken for a D

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xx8vAZoqhmQ/SDX-E3zwuPI/AAAAAAAABL4/MeMnGKfssR0/s800/DSC00754.JPG

Rich_NYS
07-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Yesterday I parked at the library with my kids, and as we were leaving the car I heard: "GREAT SCOTT -HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" "OMG THAT'S SO AWESOME!"
It was a goofy dude driving by; he stopped to hang out the window, yell, and gawk. I really didn't mind, he seemed to be admiring the car and my kids thought it was great to see a grownup guy lose his shit like that -lol!

He also turned around and came back for a second look, so I'm sure he was just really excited.....glad I made his day, lol.

Jonathan
07-18-2014, 08:58 AM
The funny thing about that in a not so funny way is that a lot of kit cars used the Fiero as their base, like the Lamborghini Countach..

I got the "is it real" comment last night at a car show. I said matter of factly, "no, it's a kit car. I started with a Chevy Tahoe underneath. Can't hardly tell, eh?"

He looked pretty confused and if I was better at keeping a serious face instead of laughing, he might have bought it.

Rich_NYS
07-18-2014, 10:27 AM
I said matter of factly, "no, it's a kit car. I started with a Chevy Tahoe underneath.

That is really good....gonna use that one if you don't mind!

BTW...I really liked the paper you had in your back window at DCS. Maybe share that here if you think others might enjoy it.

Josh
07-18-2014, 10:36 AM
I got the "is it real" comment last night at a car show. I said matter of factly, "no, it's a kit car. I started with a Chevy Tahoe underneath. Can't hardly tell, eh?"

He looked pretty confused and if I was better at keeping a serious face instead of laughing, he might have bought it.

YES lol

Jonathan
07-18-2014, 10:41 AM
That is really good....gonna use that one if you don't mind!

BTW...I really liked the paper you had in your back window at DCS. Maybe share that here if you think others might enjoy it.

Haha, for sure! Here it is. Just a little sarcastic of course. Edit to fit your own car if you'd like.

I actually had a guy two nights ago ask me for help with the answers. I was like, whoa, are you serious? Oh, he is serious. So I walked back around and helped him through each question. When we were done I found a nice wall nearby and bonked my head on it a few times.

Timebender
07-18-2014, 12:19 PM
I seriously thought this was a photo of a junkyard at first. I had to take a closer look before I realized it was a car show.

I realize that sounds harsh. I mean I saw that car and thought "that's a decent looking car to have been found in a junk yard. I wonder what happened. Oh...not a junk yard."

Actually it looks like it's parking for something, as there are some vans in there (like the big maxi-van in the back). Could be for a pumpkin patch, or fair, or, something. Doesn't look like it's a car show, unless it's for just regular daily drivers like the Toyota Celica next to it.

Timebender
07-18-2014, 12:23 PM

I'd probably go with the "no, it's a corvette frame with a fiberglass and aluminum body" and then show them the engine... and yes this is the one I'm hoping to have sometime soon..

Rich_NYS
07-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Haha, for sure! Here it is. Just a little sarcastic of course. Edit to fit your own car if you'd like.

I actually had a guy two nights ago ask me for help with the answers. I was like, whoa, are you serious? Oh, he is serious. So I walked back around and helped him through each question. When we were done I found a nice wall nearby and bonked my head on it a few times.

"Because I could not find a Millenium Falcon for sale" -HAHAHA!

Dangermouse
07-18-2014, 12:26 PM
I'd probably go with the "no, it's a corvette frame with a fiberglass and aluminum body" and then show them the engine... and yes this is the one I'm hoping to have sometime soon..

Whose car? Details? Running?

And, surely the obvious answer is "It's a Lotus based kit car"

Josh
07-18-2014, 01:04 PM

x2!

Interesting swap but those motor mounts are horrendous.

Timebender
07-18-2014, 03:29 PM

It's here in San Diego and I'm working on getting it. I don't want to give too much away, aside from it was done by the PO back in Illinois who did the swap, added a spoiler (which is really horrendous), lowered it (nicely done), and added the designed by Lotus plates above the door handles. It runs fine, drives nice, though feels due for a new column bushing. The current owner really wanted a D, found this a little over 20 years ago, got it, not knowing it had the C350 in it, and A: couldn't smog it or register it, and B: hated that it was not a PRV, so he garaged it. It's been covered and kept, though his son-in-law who is a mechanic, would take it out for a quick spin once in a while, and kept it in running condition. And now he wants to sell it but is in no hurry. I've got him down to $13k from $15k. Danny and Rich W both feel it's a good deal.

Just a few little things to get out of the way first.

Josh
07-18-2014, 03:52 PM
It's here in San Diego and I'm working on getting it. I don't want to give too much away, aside from it was done by the PO back in Illinois who did the swap, added a spoiler (which is really horrendous), lowered it (nicely done), and added the designed by Lotus plates above the door handles. It runs fine, drives nice, though feels due for a new column bushing. The current owner really wanted a D, found this a little over 20 years ago, got it, not knowing it had the C350 in it, and A: couldn't smog it or register it, and B: hated that it was not a PRV, so he garaged it. It's been covered and kept, though his son-in-law who is a mechanic, would take it out for a quick spin once in a while, and kept it in running condition. And now he wants to sell it but is in no hurry. I've got him down to $13k from $15k. Danny and Rich W both feel it's a good deal.

Just a few little things to get out of the way first.

Thats a great deal. I'd go for it.

NightFlyer
07-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Definitely a good deal, as everything appears to be in good/great shape :thumbup:

While the engine swap limits the potential market of purchasers, the fact that it's currently running and appears to be done by someone who knew what they were doing, I could see this going as high as $19k under the right circumstances, thus $13k is indeed a great price. Just be aware that it has obviously taken the current seller quite a while to try and unload, thus any potential sale after-the-fact at top dollar could take significantly longer than under normal circumstances.

Hope you end up getting it, as I know you've had your eye on that one for a while :thumbup:

If you do and end up making the next DCS, we'll have to get you, Nick R, Jeremiah, etc out to the track for a little fun :wink:

Timebender
07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Definitely a good deal, as everything appears to be in good/great shape :thumbup:[\quote]
Yep! It's overall very nice, doors fit well, rubber is all good from what I could tell (door seals, etc).

[QUOTE]Just be aware that it has obviously taken the current seller quite a while to try and unload, thus any potential sale after-the-fact at top dollar could take significantly longer than under normal circumstances.
Actually, the owner hasn't tried to sell it til now from my understanding. He's an older guy in his 70's, and I'm guessing not doing well as I've only met his wife and all the dealing has been with the son-in-law. I found out about it through Dan (yellowmxwheels) who lives close by. He was at the El Cajon car show, some guy comes by to tell him he knows of one that might be for sale, I get the number of the son-in-law from Dan, and that's where I ended up where I am now.

Hope you end up getting it, as I know you've had your eye on that one for a while :thumbup:

Yep- just have to finish off a few small projects for the wife (new wood flooring for instance).

If you do and end up making the next DCS, we'll have to get you, Nick R, Jeremiah, etc out to the track for a little fun :wink:

That would be a hoot - though I think Nick's car would kick this one's butt in a blink of an eye, though it wouldn't be for not trying... :D

Kenny_Z
07-19-2014, 09:02 AM
Actually it looks like it's parking for something, as there are some vans in there (like the big maxi-van in the back). Could be for a pumpkin patch, or fair, or, something. Doesn't look like it's a car show, unless it's for just regular daily drivers like the Toyota Celica next to it.

Or just a small town car show. I've seen some basic cars that just use the car show to get a parking spot. My personal favorite was the stock Ford Taurus with bad paint. Red lost best of the 80s one year to an 84 Chrysler LeBaron.

PB Co
07-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Or just a small town car show. I've seen some basic cars that just use the car show to get a parking spot. My personal favorite was the stock Ford Taurus with bad paint. Red lost best of the 80s one year to an 84 Chrysler LeBaron.

But I heard that LeBaron used to belong to Jon Voight.

After a couple months of ownership I have had less BTTF heckles than I anticipated. Staying patient with people, I try to represent the DMC-12 accurately. We will see how long that takes to wear off.

At a local diner waiting for a seat someone asked me, is that a Bricklin? He must have been the only guy in the world who knows what the SV-1 is but not a DMC-12.

DeLorean03
07-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Not really a "SCotD" or anything, but this one happened over the weekend.

Got out to pump gas; guy about my age and his dad (assumed) walked over to talk it up. They had been in town for a vintage (1902 - 1982) Chevy show that had just ended.

Dad asks me "Why do you have a handprint on the side of your passenger door?"

(I had just recently given a friend a ride, and he shut the door that way)

To which I replied: "Because someone decided to touch the car with their oily hands."

His response: "Oh, that happens with these cars because of the stainless steel?"

My response: "Yeah, really annoys me at car shows - you see people walk by a 57 BelAir, a 67 Impala, a 65 Cobra and so on with their hands behind their back. Then they get to my car and it's like 'All hands on deck...!!!' Used to really drive me nuts, but I stopped going to car shows so it doesn't bother me so much now...."

Came home and realized how succinct I had unintentionally been. They didn't act offended though, so all seems like it went well!

robvanderveer
07-21-2014, 05:28 PM
New word 'succinct' assimilated into vocabulary.

Jonathan
07-21-2014, 05:33 PM
But I heard that LeBaron used to belong to Jon Voight.

After a couple months of ownership I have had less BTTF heckles than I anticipated. Staying patient with people, I try to represent the DMC-12 accurately. We will see how long that takes to wear off.

If you lose your cool at some point, you could tell 'em the "jerk store called" one... :)

DMCVegas
07-21-2014, 06:08 PM

I remember I was driving home for lunch one day through the hood, and one of these things pulled up behind me. I couldn't make out what it was. The driver pulled up next to me, and we were eyeballing each others cars wondering, "What the in the hell kind of car is that?!" It wasn't until later on I realized what it was.

Funny story: These things were also rebadged as Plymouth Sapporo/Arrow & Dodge Challenger. My grandfather bought a brand new Dodge Challenger in 1982 right off the lot. Brought it home and was so proud of his new American car! Being a WW2 Navy vet that was stationed in the Pacific, he swore he would never buy a Japanese car! He was showing it off to my mother who tried to gently break the news to him that it was actually a Japanese car. He argued back and forth that it was an American car! She told him to pop the hood, and this is what they saw:

http://moparblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1982-Dodge-Challenger-engine.jpg
http://moparblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1982-Dodge-Challenger-engine.jpg

Right on the firewall is the manufacturer's tag. And as you can see there is the Chrysler Pentastar on the bottom, and the 3 Mitsubishi diamonds up top.

He stared at it for a few seconds and then slammed the hood. The next day he called to announce that the new car he'd bought not but 3 days before he'd traded in on a new '82 Dodge Ram pickup.

PB Co
07-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Stupid DeLorean comment of the day goes to me!

Girl asks me twice if "it" is a replica. I tell her there are no replica/kit DeLoreans twice before I realize she's talking about the Almanac covering my binnacle crack.

She responded with more excitement for the replica movie prop than the car itself which threw me off. I let her hold it and she seemed taken back discovering the nude contents of the Oh LaLa magazine. I'm not sure if she got it, so I told her to watch BTTF II again.

NightFlyer
07-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Stupid DeLorean comment of the day goes to me!

Girl asks me twice if "it" is a replica. I tell her there are no replica/kit DeLoreans twice before I realize she's talking about the Almanac covering my binnacle crack.

She responded with more excitement for the replica movie prop than the car itself which threw me off. I let her hold it and she seemed taken back discovering the nude contents of the Oh LaLa magazine. I'm not sure if she got it, so I told her to watch BTTF II again.

WOW - what an awkward situation that sounds like.

Rad Dad
07-22-2014, 05:48 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - - - - -I'll bet that everyone of you who bitches about fingerprints did the same thing to a DeLorean at least once before you became a DeLorean owner. I know that I did. EVERYONE is fascinated by the brushed finish. ( Geez - I wonder if that finish is smooth or can you feel the "scratches" on the surface.) Let's see...............

Make it a plus rather than a minus. I can walk casually over the the hand/fingerprint with a bit of paper towel and some windex and remover the finger print before you know what has happened and then I can turn smiling to the "offender" and say "don't you wish you could spruce up your wax job so fast?".

Yeah, I guess I know that this subject seems to be a hot button with a lot of the D people...........it is with me too, I'm just on the other side of the fence. I wan't to share my D with anyone who is interested and I know full well that fingerprints are not going to hurt my car.

If you have an honest to goodness "Concours" car, I understand your feelings. But, 9 out of 10 who complain about this do not have a concours car.

Dick Ryan - - - and now you know why they call me The Rad Dad!

PS I'm glad I got that off of my chest!

NightFlyer
07-22-2014, 06:39 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - - - - -I'll bet that everyone of you who bitches about fingerprints did the same thing to a DeLorean at least once before you became a DeLorean owner. I know that I did. EVERYONE is fascinated by the brushed finish. ( Geez - I wonder if that finish is smooth or can you feel the "scratches" on the surface.) Let's see...............

Make it a plus rather than a minus. I can walk casually over the the hand/fingerprint with a bit of paper towel and some windex and remover the finger print before you know what has happened and then I can turn smiling to the "offender" and say "don't you wish you could spruce up your wax job so fast?".

Yeah, I guess I know that this subject seems to be a hot button with a lot of the D people...........it is with me too, I'm just on the other side of the fence. I wan't to share my D with anyone who is interested and I know full well that fingerprints are not going to hurt my car.

If you have an honest to goodness "Concours" car, I understand your feelings. But, 9 out of 10 who complain about this do not have a concours car.

Dick Ryan - - - and now you know why they call me The Rad Dad!

PS I'm glad I got that off of my chest!

I have an honest to goodness concours car :)

I NEVER touched a stranger's car EVER (even when a youth) - my parents taught me better than that and I show full respect to others' property.

As far as does it bother me when other people touch my car - on principle, it most certainly does, which usually leads me to sadness and fear more than anything else (about the direction our culture is headed in). Do I allow this feeling to affect me or my actions - usually not, unless the offender is going overboard.

Case in point is what happened to me upon arriving at DCS on Thursday afternoon. I parked right next to project Vixen in the cordoned off section of the lot for DeLorean's only, which was different than the tented area for show cars. I got out of my car, got a few things out of the passenger side off the parcel shelf that I wanted, and started mingling with other owners almost immediately. And as I usually do at such functions, I left the doors up. At the time, I was the only person in the lot who did this. Anyway, as I was talking to three or four other owners across the lot, one of the other owners directed my attention to my car. Other hotel guests and randoms from the area were walking the lot enjoying our cars, which I didn't mind at all - after all, it's a car show. A family of four - mom, dad, and two kids - were walking around my car and checking it out. To my utter amazement, the father started messing with my doors, actually actuating them up and down. I was dismayed. Their kids were completely respectful and never touched my car once, but the mom and dad where mauling the damn thing like crazy. I just couldn't believe it. I was going to go over and rip some ass right there, but as the kids were behaving themselves, I felt bad about doing that in front of them, thus decided to leave it alone.

At a car show last year in Hastings, I was talking to the guy parked next to me about how DeLoreans are usually magnets for public mauling, but how impressed I was that I made it through the entire show (this was late in the day and about a half hour before the show ended) without any douches touching my car. Shortly after talking to the guy about this, a gentleman that looked like he was in his '70's (who should have known better) started looking at my car and ran his hand across the entire hood. I was disgusted, but didn't say anything, even though I desperately wanted to.

Again, it's not so much about making the car dirty as it is a principle thing for me. What disturbs me most about the current trend is that adults who should know better have been the primary offenders, whereas in the past it was usually children, whom are somewhat excusable.

Like I said, it usually just leaves me disgusted about the state and direction of our culture - respect isn't being taught/ingrained any more like it used to be, and as a society, we're turning into a bunch of freakin douche bags.

End of rant.

SIMid
07-22-2014, 07:04 PM
What's even worse is when someone uses the back of their hand AND they are wearing a ring. They either touch or tap the panel. I had a few hairline scratches on the rear of the car due to ppl doing this. Also along the leading edges of the doors as ppl pose and have their hands on the edge. One of the reasons why I had to regrain the panels.

Jonathan
07-22-2014, 07:05 PM
I NEVER touched a stranger's car EVER (even when a youth) - my parents taught me better than that and I show full respect to others' property.

Like I said, it usually just leaves me disgusted about the state and direction of our culture - respect isn't being taught/ingrained any more like it used to be, and as a society, we're turning into a bunch of freakin douche bags.

Yes. This.

IMHO it's a huge reason why you see much of what you do out there. And not just about cars.

What's the one about the parents are probably idiots too? That pretty much nails it for me. Look to see who is (not) looking after these kids/people. That'll tell you everything you need to know.

Rich_NYS
07-22-2014, 09:56 PM
I agree with the principle of having respect.

I totally understand why someone would want to touch it, and I really won't mind as long as they ask first.

Kinda reminds me of a guy I used to work with who once said: "I'll give anybody anything I have if they ask first, but when someone takes something without asking....that really pisses me off."

Some guy
07-22-2014, 10:13 PM
I was out the other day getting dinner and i come out to my car to see a guy leaning on it getting his picture taken. So i said "Are you going to wipe off where your arm was?". He was so excited about seeing a Delorean that he could not realize i was serious.

So i was left with a choice. Do I ruin the experience of someone seeing the "DELOREAN" up close for the first time or be "that guy". So i just let it go.

Next time i will have to put my hands all over his car and take a picture.

NightFlyer
07-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Kinda reminds me of a guy I used to work with who once said: "I'll give anybody anything I have if they ask first, but when someone takes something without asking....that really pisses me off."

Precisely. If people ask, and are respectful and polite, then I almost always say yes.

Michael
07-22-2014, 10:21 PM
I have an honest to goodness concours car :)

As far as does it bother me when other people touch my car - on principle, it most certainly does, which usually leads me to sadness and fear more than anything else (about the direction our culture is headed in). Do I allow this feeling to affect me or my actions - usually not, unless the offender is going overboard.

Case in point is what happened to me upon arriving at DCS on Thursday afternoon. I parked right next to project Vixen in the cordoned off section of the lot for DeLorean's only, which was different than the tented area for show cars. I got out of my car, got a few things out of the passenger side off the parcel shelf that I wanted, and started mingling with other owners almost immediately. And as I usually do at such functions, I left the doors up. At the time, I was the only person in the lot who did this. Anyway, as I was talking to three or four other owners across the lot, one of the other owners directed my attention to my car. Other hotel guests and randoms from the area were walking the lot enjoying our cars, which I didn't mind at all - after all, it's a car show. A family of four - mom, dad, and two kids - were walking around my car and checking it out. To my utter amazement, the father started messing with my doors, actually actuating them up and down. I was dismayed. Their kids were completely respectful and never touched my car once, but the mom and dad where mauling the damn thing like crazy. I just couldn't believe it. I was going to go over and rip some ass right there, but as the kids were behaving themselves, I felt bad about doing that in front of them, thus decided to leave it alone.

At a car show last year in Hastings, I was talking to the guy parked next to me about how DeLoreans are usually magnets for public mauling, but how impressed I was that I made it through the entire show (this was late in the day and about a half hour before the show ended) without any douches touching my car. Shortly after talking to the guy about this, a gentleman that looked like he was in his '70's (who should have known better) started looking at my car and ran his hand across the entire hood. I was disgusted, but didn't say anything, even though I desperately wanted to.

Again, it's not so much about making the car dirty as it is a principle thing for me. What disturbs me most about the current trend is that adults who should know better have been the primary offenders, whereas in the past it was usually children, whom are somewhat excusable.

End of rant.

This.

I agree with the principle of having respect.

I totally understand why someone would want to touch it, and I really won't mind as long as they ask first.

And that too.

To add, I have no problem with people touching and getting in my car. When I come up on someone taking pics, I almost always (unless it's a coal miner) offer to let them sit in it while I take their pic which always is met with a 100% positive feeling for both of us. It's not that touching or even climbing in is going to cause any damage, even scratches and be fixed rather easily, it's the principle as Josh said.

Kenny_Z
07-22-2014, 10:50 PM
I don't think I've ever touched the stainless on any DeLorean that wasn't mine. It's not my car so I have no right to touch it. Even when I went to check out the hood on Jeremiah's DeLorean for that ding. That's the only way I knew there were two separate Deloreans in Pensacola. One had a hood ding and one did not. He's since fixed that.

I don't mind when people touch the car as long as they're respectful. The only person I had to get on to was a guy that didn't even care about the car. His buddies were checking out the car so he just leaned against my quarter panel. I still have scratches from his jeans. The jerk.

jwrayth
07-23-2014, 04:30 AM
To my utter amazement, the father started messing with my doors, actually actuating them up and down. I was dismayed. Their kids were completely respectful and never touched my car once, but the mom and dad where mauling the damn thing like crazy.

I was at the Scottish Car Show this weekend, and had place a barrier over the striker pins as such;

Mostly this was enough, but one chap lifted his kid over the barrier and was trying to sit him on the seat. I tapped him on the shoulder and said "Excuse me, but nobody is allowed in the car".

His response? "Well you should HAVE PUT UP A FUCKING SIGN!", then stormed off yanking his kid out the car and getting all red in the face.

Dangermouse
07-23-2014, 08:02 AM
I could actually understand the dad not realize that the bar is there to stop entry. I think the black bar looks so good, it looks like it is part of the car. Other owners use a white PVC bar or a red/white colo(u)red bar which stands out, but does look kinda out of place.

Jonathan
07-23-2014, 09:03 AM
I could actually understand the dad not realize that the bar is there to stop entry. I think the black bar looks so good, it looks like it is part of the car. Other owners use a white PVC bar or a red/white colo(u)red bar which stands out, but does look kinda out of place.

That bar does look really good. Like it's supposed to be there.

I don't know if I saw someone that had done this or just someone talking about it, but the idea was also to put some "caution" tape on it. Like the yellow and black stuff you see at construction sites. I'd like to find some of that and mix in the nuclear "trefoil" symbol on it as well. They included one in the old Guitar Hero kits as a sticker that might work, hehe.

pezzonovante88
07-23-2014, 09:52 AM
I was at the Scottish Car Show this weekend, and had place a barrier over the striker pins as such;

Mostly this was enough, but one chap lifted his kid over the barrier and was trying to sit him on the seat. I tapped him on the shoulder and said "Excuse me, but nobody is allowed in the car".

His response? "Well you should HAVE PUT UP A FUCKING SIGN!", then stormed off yanking his kid out the car and getting all red in the face.

Urgh, what an asshole. That one really pisses me off!

jwrayth
07-23-2014, 10:13 AM

See, I can understand that. A few people on the day actually asked how the doors closed with the bar in place, so I would give the chap the benefit of the doubt... if it wasn't for how angry he got at me when I was being very polite about the whole thing.

I have some of the black/yellow warning tape and will be applying that to the ends of the bar for a future show, just to be safe.

Dangermouse
07-23-2014, 10:17 AM
He response was certainly disproportionate. Scottish people hardly ever swear :p

Jonathan
07-23-2014, 10:29 AM
He response was certainly disproportionate. Scottish people hardly ever swear :p

He probably didn't realize the car was Irish at first...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgzfxs_if-it-s-not-scottish-it-s-crap_shortfilms

DMCVegas
07-23-2014, 01:26 PM
I don't know if I saw someone that had done this or just someone talking about it, but the idea was also to put some "caution" tape on it. Like the yellow and black stuff you see at construction sites.

Like this?

http://www.citizenkidd.com/DMC/images/gallery/2013/2013-06-22/bttf-03.jpg

Dangermouse
07-23-2014, 01:54 PM
He probably didn't realize the car was Irish at first...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgzfxs_if-it-s-not-scottish-it-s-crap_shortfilms

"Irish - Scottish - it's the same thing" :smile:

alexwolf1216
07-23-2014, 03:43 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/24/abepaty6.jpg

At the alignment shop waiting my turn. Look at that handprint haha...

Rich_NYS
07-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Today I was parked talking to a friend and had one person ask if I had a FC, the other asked if I found any cocaine. I used someone else's line and said I found a bunch of coke...that's how I was able to afford the car.

Both people loved seeing it and nobody tried touching it....or me either, so that was good.

jim928
07-28-2014, 11:05 AM
I received a letter from my township a few weeks ago that I was going to be fined due to major vehicle repair/disassembley in my driveway. Apparently a township worker drove past my house and saw the DeLorean in the the driveway and thought I was stripping the paint off the car. I caught the guy a few days later driving past my house again, looking down my driveway. I went out and told him off.

Lenny
07-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Today I was parked talking to a friend and had one person ask if I had a FC, the other asked if I found any cocaine. I used someone else's line and said I found a bunch of coke...that's how I was able to afford the car.

That's my line :aniclap:

Roman Legion
07-28-2014, 11:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_JS5WCO31Y

Rich_NYS
07-28-2014, 11:44 PM
That's my line :aniclap:

Hope you don't mind, I couldn't remember who said it (now I know who to give credit to!) :thumbup2:

Michael
07-28-2014, 11:45 PM
I received a letter from my township a few weeks ago that I was going to be fined due to major vehicle repair/disassembley in my driveway. Apparently a township worker drove past my house and saw the DeLorean in the the driveway and thought I was stripping the paint off the car. I caught the guy a few days later driving past my house again, looking down my driveway. I went out and told him off.

And???

brew
08-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Walked into Advance Auto Parts (nuff said) wanting to buy a couple bearings for the a/c tensioner pulley. I gave the guy the part number hoping to avoid the whole, what car does it go on question. He looks up the number and says he has it.... then the question came. I tell him its for a 1983 Delorean. Then without even hesitating he says "Is that some sort of Dodge?" I then point to the computer screen where is clearly says delorean and he begins to search for the part even though I already gave him the part number and he already found it. After several minutes he can't find it under Delorean and says he doesn't have it.

SIMid
08-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Like this?

http://www.citizenkidd.com/DMC/images/gallery/2013/2013-06-22/bttf-03.jpg

I reckon not tape, but razor blades would be more effective.

Gfrank
08-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Had more then one person comment on how nice a "wrap" job was done on my car, to make it look like brushed aluminum at a show this past weekend

sdg3205
08-04-2014, 10:51 PM
At today's car show:

"God it's ugly"

"These things are just terrible, aren't they?"

jawn101
08-04-2014, 10:55 PM
At today's car show:

"God it's ugly"

"your MOM's terrible!"

Rich_NYS
08-04-2014, 11:08 PM
At today's car show:

"God it's ugly"

A dude said that?

sdg3205
08-04-2014, 11:14 PM
A dude said that?

I can get by the comments from the mini-van driving general public, but today it was the dude who tried to open the doors when they were shut. Oh, I really let him have it.

DavidProehl
08-04-2014, 11:47 PM
At today's car show:

"God it's ugly"

I can get by the comments from the mini-van driving general public, but today it was the dude who tried to open the doors when they were shut. Oh, I really let him have it.

Wow that is bad. If it is so "terrible" then why would he even want to waste his time opening the doors? Sounds like a guy with a bad case of envy.

Along the same lines, when I was parking at a car show a couple years ago I heard one guy say to another "A DeLorean? Who would want one of those?" Since I was able to hear it over the sound of the engine (doors up), I can only assume he wanted to be loud enough for me to hear it.

vps3922
08-05-2014, 10:58 AM
At today's car show:

"God it's ugly"

Same car show. Not quite DeLorean related: guy walks up to me and says the default stuff like "nice car", etc.

He then moves on to ask "Does this car have an agent?". I was a bit stumped by it but he then had to tell me that he rents out his house to the local movie industry. So I thought that he just needed a queue to add this line.
Suddenly the whole conversation takes a rapid turn I did not anticipate. He asks "So I hear that you are initially from Germany, can you tell me when German women become sexually active and what their legal age is to have sex with them?"

I was stumped. Of course he used this queue to tell me another story involving a young German girl. I was lucky that another guy came up to me and asked me something abou the stainless steel panels, which got the other guy to walk on. Sometimes I wonder where these guys crawl out of. There is always the oddball on a show.

MML
08-05-2014, 11:38 AM
suddenly the whole conversation takes a rapid turn i did not anticipate. He asks "so i hear that you are initially from germany, can you tell me when german women become sexually active and what their legal age is to have sex with them?"

wtf!!!

vps3922
08-05-2014, 12:57 PM
wtf!!!

Exactly my thoughts at that moment.

Jonathan
08-05-2014, 01:46 PM
"your MOM's terrible!"

This got me thinking... has anyone tried just being blatantly immature back to one of these guys?

I mean like 5 year old school yard immature. And as ridiculous and obvious as you can muster. Granted, maybe try it with a guy you don't think is going to punch you for mocking him, but it could be pretty entertaining. Especially if the people around you realize you're only messing with him.

"Well, I heard you were garbage."
"I know you are, but what am I?"
"I don't know. Where's your flux capacitor, Mr. Poopy Head?"

jwrayth
08-05-2014, 03:36 PM
I spent the weekend at a Car show with the DeLorean Owners Club UK. A member of the public comes up to me whilst I'm cleaning the rear wheels and says "Is that even your car, kid?"

I stand up, and turn around and say "Yes, it's my car" to a chap who is realizing I'm both taller than he is and around the same age. He suddenly comes out with "Oh, I guess your parents treated you to it then? I bet they pay a fortune to the garage to look after it"

Since he's obviously being antagonistic, I stated; "No, actually. I'm a well paid Software Engineer who worked hard to save the money to purchase and import the car into the country, and do most of the work on it myself. You shouldn't presume others are spoiled just because you can't afford something"

To which he then mellowed and apologised, which I honestly wasn't expecting!

Rich_NYS
08-05-2014, 03:57 PM
This got me thinking... has anyone tried just being blatantly immature back to one of these guys?

I mean like 5 year old school yard immature. And as ridiculous and obvious as you can muster. Granted, maybe try it with a guy you don't think is going to punch you for mocking him, but it could be pretty entertaining. Especially if the people around you realize you're only messing with him.

"Well, I heard you were garbage."
"I know you are, but what am I?"
"I don't know. Where's your flux capacitor, Mr. Poopy Head?"

LOL....I absolutley need to try that!

Jonathan
08-05-2014, 05:45 PM
LOL....I absolutley need to try that!

Haha! And I was thinking if you flat out just don't want to engage the guy intelligently at all, just do the old repeat everything he says routine.

"I heard these cars are crap?"
"I heard these cars are crap."
"These cars are made out of aluminum, right?"
"These cars are made out of aluminum, right."
"Are you just repeating everything I'm saying?"
"Are you just repeating everything I'm saying."
"Seriously, what are you ten?"
"Seriously, what are you ten."
"Ah, f%$k it. Let's go Billy-Bob."
"Thanks for coming!"

NightFlyer
08-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Haha! And I was thinking if you flat out just don't want to engage the guy intelligently at all, just do the old repeat everything he says routine.

"Thanks for coming!"

I don't know about that... last time I did the repeater, they had to fish my car out of Lake Leblanc :wink:

Josh
08-06-2014, 12:12 AM

"Thanks for coming!"

I like your style, haha