PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

PB Co
08-06-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm at a stop sign in a residential neighborhood near home. High school kid with his girl walking yells "I think I'm in love."

I look back out my tiny window and make eye contact with the girl first and say, He's talking to you, right?

ALEXAKOS
08-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm at a stop sign in a residential neighborhood near home. High school kid with his girl walking yells "I think I'm in love."

I look back out my tiny window and make eye contact with the girl first and say, He's talking to you, right?

What happened to the good ol' "Noooot" joke!:wink:

Still a good good reply!
BTW, What if she WAS talking to her friend? hehehe:smackbum:

Roman Legion
08-09-2014, 10:17 PM
"These cars are made out of aluminum, right?"
"Ah, f%$k it. Let's go Billy-Bob."
"Thanks for coming!"

Get a Gen 1 Honda Insight or Acura NSX so you can tell them..
"No, but my other car is aluminum."

As for the billy-bob thing, at least people (hopefully) don't coal roll your car.. Had some guy on I-81 south in Virginia near Roanoke try doing it at interstate speeds while towing something and he failed all 4 times he tried, so I got a laugh.

"Thanks for coming!".. I haven't dared take my Insight to anything like that yet, so when I do, lets hope it's as nice as that.

But yeah, it seems no matter what you drive, people will find a way to put it down and it's usually with misinformation too. :(

Lenny
08-10-2014, 08:37 AM
As for the billy-bob thing, at least people (hopefully) don't coal roll your car..

"Coal Roll"?

sdg3205
08-10-2014, 11:13 AM
"Coal Roll"?

+1....?

NightFlyer
08-10-2014, 11:39 AM
"Coal Roll"?

+1....?

I found this using a fabulous invention called the Google. It's pretty neat - you guys really need to check it out :wink:

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/bfvmgh/coal-rolling

Farrar
08-10-2014, 12:21 PM
"New trend"? I've seen this for years. The news people really are behind the times.

ALEXAKOS
08-15-2014, 02:07 PM
5000 USD for that Conversion? Hell! Choke the Air off a Diesel N u get your self a real good smoker;)

JRNY13
08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
At a gas station filling up today. A guy jumps out of his car and says, "How much you pay for this, dude?" (not off to a good start). The rest of the conversation was like this:

Me: Plenty
Guy: $20?
Me: Plenty...enough
Guy: I hear they go for like $13
Me: They're a lot more than that
Guy: Are you going to put a continuum inhibitor on it?
Me: Flux capacitor? No.

Really, you get to talk to a DeLorean owner and you lead with "how much did you pay." You don't have a more interesting question to ask that Google can't readily answer for you? Not to mention I'm a total stranger and that's just rude.

rdarlington
08-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Kid clearly born after the 80s: "DeLorean? Who makes that?"

le sigh

Rich_NYS
08-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Really, you get to talk to a DeLorean owner and you lead with "how much did you pay." You don't have a more interesting question to ask that Google can't readily answer for you? Not to mention I'm a total stranger and that's just rude.

When I first bought mine and was trailering it, I had a dude pull up & yell the same thing out his window. I said something like: "$22K....it needs a lot of work. :cool1:

jawn101
08-17-2014, 10:38 PM
When I first bought mine and was trailering it, I had a dude pull up & yell the same thing out his window. I said something like: "$22K....it needs a lot of work. :cool1:

I usually keep an evasive answer in my back pocket, like "I paid what it cost, but I'd sell it for $100k"

vwdmc16
08-17-2014, 11:18 PM
I like that Jon.

Michael
08-17-2014, 11:53 PM
I paid enough to save but only more than I needed to, but less than I should have =

PB Co
08-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Kids these days... tell them if they can remember how it's spelled to peck it into their touchscreen and read the wiki.

Here in NJ it's technically illegal to pump your own and my local Sunoco guy always asks me when I'm bringing that 'Nissan' around. Today I had it out and spoke with another customer in a well kept silver Mercedes convertible. It's great to listen to people who remember the car and watched it become reality.

Now to endure ten more cocaine jokes before I have another conversation like that.

vps3922
08-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Now to endure ten more cocaine jokes before I have another conversation like that.

But these references sometimes get fueled by media. I just came accross (yes, it just happened) the American Dad episode "DeLorean Story-An" (S04E16) and of course there was a cocaine reference in there. And a weird misinformation that doors are hard to come by. Very interesting what Seth McFarlane came up with. Anywho! I did not expect a show like American Dad to straighten the facts, but this is the stuff people watch on TV and base their questions on.

And don't get me wrong: I enjoy watching American Dad. :wiggle:

ccurzio
08-18-2014, 04:11 PM
As an owner himself, I'm pretty sure Seth knows the actual facts and is just basing the jokes on what's popularly "known."

Farrar
08-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Really, you get to talk to a DeLorean owner and you lead with "how much did you pay."

That's always the first question asked, in my experience.

vps3922
08-18-2014, 05:06 PM
As an owner himself, I'm pretty sure Seth knows the actual facts and is just basing the jokes on what's popularly "known."

Yep, I think this is true. I thought by myself "Man, he should know as an owner" but then also thought that he might put these ones in to get back on all the stupid comments he might have heard over the time. :dork:

mac
08-18-2014, 05:18 PM
That's always the first question asked, in my experience.

Not always, but very, very often. Maybe four times out of five...

Lenny
08-18-2014, 05:29 PM
At a gas station filling up today. A guy jumps out of his car and says, "How much you pay for this, dude?" (not off to a good start). The rest of the conversation was like this:

I don't think they mean to be rude I think the car is so iconic that in the back of their mind they are wondering "Can I Get One"? I always tell them:
You can get one that runs for 5-10,000 but it needs a lot of work
15-25 will get you a nice car but still needs some work
35-45 will get you a Really Nice car
and if you want to get a remanufactured one 60,000 or so.

After that they usually either ask more reasonable questions or walk away. I have run into some real assholes but 90% are ok

Farrar
08-18-2014, 05:33 PM
"It would be pointless for me to tell you what I spent on it, because I bought it so long ago and price fluctuates a lot. But there's always a DeLorean for sale somewhere if you look on the Internet."

Kenny_Z
08-18-2014, 09:12 PM
Ever since I striped the paint from Red I get the "how much did you pay" question right off the bat. It used to be "Why is it red" or variations of "who painted it" and then they'd rarely ask about the cost.

jawn101
08-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Ever since I striped the paint from Red I get the "how much did you pay" question right off the bat. It used to be "Why is it red" or variations of "who painted it" and then they'd rarely ask about the cost.

So you infinitely increased it's value! :) Not to mention the stellar job you did.

Rich_NYS
08-18-2014, 11:32 PM
I kinda like the cocaine jokes, and my overall attitude is that I wouldn't get any comments if I didn't have a DeLorean so I'm thankful for that.

PB Co
08-19-2014, 10:11 AM
I kinda like the cocaine jokes, and my overall attitude is that I wouldn't get any comments if I didn't have a DeLorean so I'm thankful for that.

Perhaps it is inappropriate for me to profile excited strangers, but I find that there is something about the way some of them make a cocaine joke that convinces me they are speaking from experience. I have stopped using "lines" when I talk about the hood for this reason.

I guess some people just want to talk about cocaine, it can be revealing and funny.

robvanderveer
08-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Don't do the crime (buy a delorean) if you can't do the time (machine jokes).

Kenny_Z
08-19-2014, 01:54 PM
So you infinitely increased it's value! :) Not to mention the stellar job you did.

Thank you. I usually tell people that ask the money question that since the paint is gone now she's worth a bit more than what I paid for her.

Josh
08-19-2014, 02:27 PM
More and more lately am I getting the cost question.

If I care I give them the rundown like Lenny said.

If I am in traffic or dont want to talk to them I just say "too much"

Rich_NYS
08-19-2014, 08:51 PM
I guess some people just want to talk about cocaine, it can be revealing and funny.

We should start a cocaine thread...lol!

Mods...please split this post into a new thread titled: "Cocaine."

Thank you,

Rich :biggrin:

Roman Legion
08-19-2014, 10:01 PM
We should start a cocaine thread...lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3L4spg8vyo

Some guy
08-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Yesterday i got the: "Do you know what car you are driving!"

I know it made his day because he was standing in front of the BTTF burger king with a good camera.

ALEXAKOS
08-20-2014, 02:04 PM
the American Dad episode "DeLorean Story-An" (S04E16) and of course there was a cocaine reference in there. And a weird misinformation that doors are hard to come by.

It just happened that k was after a passenger door while this episode was out and I hard a 6 month hard time nailing one. Found this episode to be dead on to my experience.
Coincidences...

tyb323
08-21-2014, 08:04 AM
Found on Reddit... "My first boss had a job working with him (John DeLorean) in a warehouse where he (under court order) had to ship replacement parts for his cars. My boss ended up in rehab after that, all the coke."

opethmike
08-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Found on Reddit... "My first boss had a job working with him (John DeLorean) in a warehouse where he (under court order) had to ship replacement parts for his cars. My boss ended up in rehab after that, all the coke."

Jimmyvonviggle
08-24-2014, 08:49 PM

Shouldn't that be in the DeLorean and Girls thread....oh wait.

Gfrank
08-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Highlights of today's car show...
Learned today my car is a replica of the back to the future car...... My car is Stock...
Also learned it was a prototype thunderbird from Pittsburg
And it reminds one girl of early 90's viper doors..?

Love just sitting near and listening

Jonathan
08-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Love just sitting near and listening

You know what, Gary? I have this bad feeling it isn't just around cars.

I spent the day watching and walking around final Sunday at the LPGA Canadian Open golf tourney and there seemed to be no shortage of people all around me talking out of their ass about things they know nothing about (golf mostly in this setting). Amazing the inability for some just to shut up and soak it in. It must make them, or the people they are with, feel better about themselves when they think they sound like they know what they're talking about. It's good entertainment though for those listening nearby that's for sure.

acaciolo
08-24-2014, 10:35 PM
I found out today at my first "cars and coffee" that:

there were only a couple of dale-oar-eeee-ahns made and they cost over $100k

there is a company in Texas that is selling new deloreans for $10k but they use all old parts

dmc was purchased by AMC

the car is aluminum

you clean it with steel wool

there were 4 different engines, all made by ford

the car was made in Detroit.

and it actually is a Ferrari.

tony c

Silverbullet
08-25-2014, 02:22 PM

there is a company in Texas that is selling new deloreans for $10k but they use all old parts

dmc was purchased by AMC

the car is aluminum

tony c

Looks to me like they did their homework.... Nice to see people do their own research in their head...

Craig

NightFlyer
08-25-2014, 04:32 PM

dmc was purchased by AMC

the car is aluminum

tony c

About time you were properly edumacated :biggrin:

DavidProehl
08-25-2014, 04:52 PM

dmc was purchased by AMC

the car is aluminum

tony c

Perhaps a bit off topic given the thread's theme, but I had the exact opposite happen to me yesterday at Cars & Coffee. I'm mentioning it because it is exceptionally rare. A guy talked to me about how the early plans were for a mid-engine car, the partnership with Lotus, and knew that it was a v6 2.8 liter "Peugeot-Volvo something". I was very impressed.

EdR5150
08-25-2014, 09:45 PM
This thread might be a good spot to post this:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18699_6-baffling-flaws-in-famous-sci-fi-technology.html

"The DeLorean DMC-12 was built by douchebags for douchebags, with sleek lines to murder air friction and gull wing doors that flared open like a peacock's tail to attract more douchebags."

MML
08-26-2014, 04:07 AM

http://www.cracked.com/article_18699_6-baffling-flaws-in-famous-sci-fi-technology.html

"The DeLorean DMC-12 was built by douchebags for douchebags, with sleek lines to murder air friction and gull wing doors that flared open like a peacock's tail to attract more douchebags."

Jeez, what a caustic comment. The hatred these cars get from some people is amazing, particularly those that have no f**king idea what they're talking about.

DL4567
08-26-2014, 11:14 AM

"This cracked article. Written by a douchebag, for douchebags." FTFY

Dangermouse
08-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Cracked - another quality list-based website that exists just to generate ad clicks via "opinionated" articles

sdg3205
09-30-2014, 03:00 PM
At Lordco (like auto zone etc) picking up my front hub after some press work today and I get this:

Assclown - "This is off a DeLorean?"

Me - "Yes"

Assclown - "Not much to it. Then again, there's not much to a DeLorean is there?"

I guess it's customary to insult a customers vehicle while they pay you to work on parts off said vehicle.

novadmc
09-30-2014, 04:49 PM
it still amazes me how many people i've overheard say the car's panels are made from "brushed aluminum".

DrJeff
09-30-2014, 05:07 PM
it still amazes me how many people i've overheard say the car's panels are made from "brushed aluminum".

If you've bought a faucet recently and found out that major parts are plastic, perhaps we'll start hearing that the Delorean has a "Stainless Steel Finish".

Totally 80s
10-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Guy pulls up to a stop light, yells out his window "Is yours all aluminum?" I tell him no. He shakes his head in disgust and disappointment (like I bought the cheap one or something).

AugustneverEnds
10-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Cracked - another quality list-based website that exists just to generate ad clicks via "opinionated" articles

Cracked: written by the adolescent-minded tool for the adolescent-minded tool

Alan
10-01-2014, 09:03 PM

The DeLorean comments were definitely uncalled for and, based on popular opinion, untrue. The general public is much more likely to be excited by a DeLorean than to think the people involved in getting it there (from manufacture to current owner) are douchebags... Just Cracked being Cracked. (douchebags)

That said, I enjoyed the article... including the section on BTTF (DeLorean comments notwithstanding). I hadn't thought of all of their criticisms. The one about the Batwing's armor has ALWAYS been a pet peeve of mine, though... and I'm a huge Keaton/Burton Batman fan.

JohnZ
10-02-2014, 02:35 AM
This is not stupid, but it's a comment I got last night when I arrived to my usual music rehearsal with the Delorean (bttf related comment).

Getting out of the car I heard the guitar player telling me: "will you need a couple of bananas now to leave again? :D " And I went like WTF?:huh: , then I realized he was talking about bttf2!

:)

Kane
10-03-2014, 11:12 AM
This is not stupid, but it's a comment I got last night when I arrived to my usual music rehearsal with the Delorean (bttf related comment).

Getting out of the car I heard the guitar player telling me: "will you need a couple of bananas now to leave again? :D " And I went like WTF?:huh: , then I realized he was talking about bttf2!

You should have said yes. Hey, free bananas.

Jonathan
10-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Nice. Reminds me of a time when I pulled up to a red light and the guy beside me asks "how far ya going?" I don't think I got the joke until long after the light turned green. :)

Dan_YT
10-08-2014, 01:10 PM
From a friend today after I told him I hope to own a DeLorean one day:

"The brushed aluminium must be hard to clean!"
"Doesn't it rust really badly?" (I though you said it was aluminium... :confused0:)
"JZD was arrested for murder!"

Fortunately he's a nice guy and listened when I told him the correct answers to all of these things - he had just been misinformed (although where he got the murder thing from I do not know), so I've done my DeLorean misconception busting for the day. :D

robvanderveer
10-09-2014, 09:34 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ftWytmA.png

http://i.imgur.com/2iL4Qi6.png

SIMid
10-15-2014, 01:41 AM
A guy approached me while I was parked, getting out.

"Is that bare metal?"

"Yes it is."

"So that's what cars look like without paint?"

I kinda froze by his comment.

painterdave72
10-15-2014, 07:55 AM
me and my girlfriend sitting outside with some friends.. my car is parked five feet from me right outfront of the place.. its a nice place we hang out all the time .. guy and his girlfriend maybe seventeen or so.. Him: what a pile of shit.. do you know they had to build them out of stainless steel because they are such piles of shit.. we were just sitting there thinking wow! people are kind of weird.... a little while later a guy about mid thirties i would say crosses the street with his little girl to look at my car.... keep in mind that my windows are rolled down because it was a very nice day out... Him: see honey you cant buy parts for those cars because they didnt really make them long.. his window is broken and he will never be able to fix it.. ME: what the hell are you talking about dude?? Him: is this your car?? Me" : yes... Him: your window is broken its missing a piece...Me: no its rolled down.. Him: no its broken.. Me: i get up to go show him and ask again what he is talking about and he just walks away.. go figure.. .lol.. sorry had to vent that.. some people have no clue.. for the most part though people there love the car!

robvanderveer
10-15-2014, 08:04 AM
This thread certainly doesn't help my opinion about the average intellect, common sense or decency of the average American citizen.

Rich_NYS
10-15-2014, 08:25 AM
A guy approached me while I was parked, getting out.

"Is that bare metal?"

"Yes it is."

"So that's what cars look like without paint?"

I kinda froze by his comment.

Well, it iswhat a DeLorean looks like without paint...lol

DL4567
10-15-2014, 11:51 AM
me and my girlfriend sitting outside with some friends.. my car is parked five feet from me right outfront of the place.. its a nice place we hang out all the time .. guy and his girlfriend maybe seventeen or so.. Him: what a pile of shit.. do you know they had to build them out of stainless steel because they are such piles of shit.. we were just sitting there thinking wow! people are kind of weird.... a little while later a guy about mid thirties i would say crosses the street with his little girl to look at my car.... keep in mind that my windows are rolled down because it was a very nice day out... Him: see honey you cant buy parts for those cars because they didnt really make them long.. his window is broken and he will never be able to fix it.. ME: what the hell are you talking about dude?? Him: is this your car?? Me" : yes... Him: your window is broken its missing a piece...Me: no its rolled down.. Him: no its broken.. Me: i get up to go show him and ask again what he is talking about and he just walks away.. go figure.. .lol.. sorry had to vent that.. some people have no clue.. for the most part though people there love the car!

This thread certainly doesn't help my opinion about the average intellect, common sense or decency of the average American citizen.

Probably the top thing that pisses me off about people is if they don't listen to an owner who tries to explain something to them. Thankfully I've only encountered one such person.

I think I might have said something to this effect before, but people's general stupidity and ignorance jumps out at us on the subject of DeLoreans because it's a subject we're all pretty knowledgeable about. But just imagine how much wrong info is spread around about subjects where the listener also doesn't know better. Scary.

robvanderveer
10-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Probably the top thing that pisses me off about people is if they don't listen to an owner who tries to explain something to them. Thankfully I've only encountered one such person.

I think I might have said something to this effect before, but people's general stupidity and ignorance jumps out at us on the subject of DeLoreans because it's a subject we're all pretty knowledgeable about. But just imagine how much wrong info is spread around about subjects where the listener also doesn't know better. Scary.

Being unknowledgeable about DeLorean's (or any topic for that matter) doesn't make you rude, stupid or a smart ass! How hard is it to ask "I've heard these were made of aluminium, i'm sure you know more about it!" or even "Excuse me sir"

Jonathan
10-15-2014, 01:24 PM

^ This.

People don't like to be corrected or informed they are wrong. About anything.

How much wrong info is out there getting spread around to listeners who don't know any better?

Way too much. On just about every subject you can think of. Vaccines, nuclear power, climate change. We no longer listen to experts. Instead, we listen to our coffee shop friends, FB contacts, or ex-quarterbacks or ex-Playboy models. Anyone and everyone has become an expert on everything (and nothing).

And it's spiralling in the wrong direction.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/17/the-death-of-expertise/

JohnZ
10-15-2014, 01:27 PM
I like the "Google-fueled, Wikipedia-based, blog-sodden" expressions!

:(

Timebender
10-16-2014, 12:51 AM

Drive on any San Diego freeway or street and you'll lose any thread of that that might still remain. Stop lights don't exist to most people, turn signals are a thing of the past, no one knows how to use their mirrors when changing lanes, etc.

robvanderveer
10-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Drive on any San Diego freeway or street and you'll lose any thread of that that might still remain. Stop lights don't exist to most people, turn signals are a thing of the past, no one knows how to use their mirrors when changing lanes, etc.
I have to admit that with today's experience, the Dutch citizen standards are also rapidly deteriorating. I am waiting to make a left turn on a small road. I had to wait for oncoming traffic to pass. I hesitated 0.0001msec because i couldn't get the car in gear and instantly the guy in the Audi behind me starts honking... While this has absolutely nothing to do with DeLoreans it is a perfect example of what i'm trying to say.

DMCVegas
10-18-2014, 11:07 PM

Agreed. Totally and utterly agreed. Earlier this week on Jalopnik I made a post that referenced this, and subsequently got shit on by everyone. It's not nice to put down other people's hobbies and passions. Especially ones that involve cars given the time, energy, and money that we put into restoring and maintaining our cars. Everyone came out of the woodwork to put me down. Called me pussy that couldn't deal with a joke, even when I explained that I get flak from so many people with the jokes and criticism, and worse of all the know it alls. But still, it's my problem. I ask for other people to put themselves into mine, and other DeLorean owner's shoes to see how they'd like it if person after person came up to them and said nothing but negative things to them and put down their cars. The response was that they don't owe anyone respect, even within the same hobbies. It's their privilege to put others down.

Even when the entire conversation inevitably came around to the cocaine jokes, it was that they were justified because JZD went to jail. Then it becomes that he got off on a *technicality*. None of which is true. Ask people what it is, and they don't know, so you let them know that their ignorance is blindingly apparent. And if you actually bother to try and educate them (be it a friendly correction or a heated argument), they get pissed and walk away.

We live in a world now where no one knows how to deal with failure and being wrong. Is it the result of helicopter parents, participation awards, and a consumer-based economy where life's mantra is "The customer is always right, and I'm always the customer!"? Who knows. It absolutely wears on you though, having to deal with morons. Blithering idiots that for 30+ years have spread misinformation which has been willfully accepted not because of fact checking but because of the blissful confidence that only ignorance brings that these people spread their misinformation with.

Time though is luckily on outsides. Last week I was absolutely floored by my coworker. He's 8 years younger than me and found out that I own a DeLorean. So we spoke about the car, and he asked me what it was like to own one. So on the pros and cons of ownership, one of the cons was dumb people and having to put up with the jokes. He had no idea what I was talking about. He knew what a DMC-12 was, knew that the came from Northern Ireland, and knew that DMCH existed. But had never heard anything about the arrest and DEA. He thought that poor finances alone are will killed the company like Yugo or Daewoo. He honestly never knew anything about JZD. I was blown away by that.

Kenny_Z
10-19-2014, 09:08 AM
He honestly never knew anything about JZD. I was blown away by that.

It's sad but John DeLorean isn't a subject in school. The man is responsible for so many innovations that cars still use today, can be argued as responsible for the muscle car era, and started an automobile company from scratch. Yet he's probably going to be lost to history in a couple of generations. I once spoke to an older gentleman at a car show who owned a beautifully restored 66 GTO. He had no idea that DeLorean played a huge role in the creation of his car.

I would have found history class so much more interesting if cars, video games, and electronics were sprinkled in with the facts about forefathers and ancient peace treaties.

robvanderveer
10-22-2014, 04:05 PM
You got a point there.

DMCVegas
10-23-2014, 05:06 PM
It's sad but John DeLorean isn't a subject in school. The man is responsible for so many innovations that cars still use today, can be argued as responsible for the muscle car era, and started an automobile company from scratch. Yet he's probably going to be lost to history in a couple of generations. I once spoke to an older gentleman at a car show who owned a beautifully restored 66 GTO. He had no idea that DeLorean played a huge role in the creation of his car.

I would have found history class so much more interesting if cars, video games, and electronics were sprinkled in with the facts about forefathers and ancient peace treaties.

As they say, history is written by the winners. Though I can't say much of this surprises me that people know so little about the past. It's very interesting that we focus on ancient history instead of modern. Not to say that the age of a subject matter isn't important, but more recent events are indeed far more relevant to at least show us more recent mistakes, and how things really aren't as distant as they seem. Staying on the subject of automobiles & relevant history, take all of the current recalls going on, and in particular GM's problems with ignition switches and fuel cells. It's easy for lots of analysts and whatnot to talk about how it all just slipped through the cracks. But when you start looking at modern history with JZD & Ralph Nader, and then read things such as the Ivey Memo (http://jalopnik.com/the-ivey-memo-the-original-cold-document-that-made-gm-1559089963), you really start to see how history keeps on repeating itself and life gets worse because for whatever reason we're still not learning from the past. Not just in the case of GM, but any subject really.

I'm in total agreement too about the subjects being too dry and boring. I hated history in school. At the start of the school year, it was always the same thing about how the pilgrims landed. And we never ever got past the 100 year mark. We'd always just stop right at the California Gold Rush in 1849. Then we'd start it all over at the beginning of next year. And the curriculum never changes. I would loved to have heard the history of the transistor, computer industry, or even the details of the Industrial Revolution. But we never covered it, and I doubt any school ever will.

Hell, many schools don't even offer shop classes any more. Want to learn how to use basic hand tools? Not happening in school anymore. Unless you have a family member who is willing and able to teach you, you're out of luck.

robvanderveer
10-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Interesting topic. Perhaps continue on a separate thread?

DMCVegas
10-24-2014, 09:05 AM
If you're up for it, sure. We can break it off into a separate thread.

rileydawgg
10-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Ok, first off, I live in LA and my office is in Hollywood... so unfortunately, this has happened three times in the last week where I happen to drive up next to one of the TMZ tour buses/vans that drive around here, and the driver/tour guide sees my car. If you thought one person in a parking lot with dumb things to say was annoying, try a tour guide with a bunch of tourists looking for celebrity homes and street corners where celebrities punched somebody or had a nipple slip. Thankfully, the car sits so low that I can just pretend not to hear the guy over his intercom give all the standard BTTF references in his douchey TMZ voice to raucous laughter amongst a bunch of giddy tourists. It was unbearable. After the first two times, I decided to make an effort not to pull up next to one of these, and instead just stay behind or try to speed past them as fast as my little PRV will go. The third one though pulled up my while I was waiting for a light, and I was trapped. It was full of Japanese tourists who managed to get off about 117 pictures while yelling "DEELOREAN!" before the light turned green and I was able to escape. It's the most I wished I had a Stage 2 or LS1 in my car since I've owned it.

Maybe next time, I think I'll pull out my phone and start taking pictures of all of them and yell "Ooooh! Look, tourists!!"

Kenny_Z
10-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Sorry but the mental image of that is hilarious. Especially the "ooh, tourists!" part. You should do that next time.

Rich_NYS
11-12-2014, 09:47 PM
I actually had a stupidass comment today (actually don't get them often.)

I pulled into a parking lot and a dude was in a parked car yelling: "is that Micheal J Fox?"

Me: "That's clever...I never heard that one before."
Him: "Well, I never saw a car like Micheal J Fox's before."
Me: "Ya....I can tell it's your first time."

I then held the door for his girl as she & I walked into the same building.

ALEXAKOS
11-13-2014, 02:46 AM
Poor thing never seen a delorean before? Where does he live in? Greece?:p

ALEXAKOS
11-13-2014, 02:58 AM
My recent encounter was not of a stupid comment,.. But of a stupid..period!
I am working on my d drivers door.
This is what it looks like in my garage:
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/6F8AE3DE-6DD7-43D6-9DED-9198AAAF78D4_zps0uqamasj.jpg (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/alex-akos/media/delo%20resto/6F8AE3DE-6DD7-43D6-9DED-9198AAAF78D4_zps0uqamasj.jpg.html)

So my neighbor rides in with his bike in our shared garage.
Him : you know what you just reminded me of?
I just wait to hear the story..
Him: have you seen the movie back to the future?
I pause my fixing and look at him with big eyes...
Him: that car had opening doors just like yours. Hehehe just reminded me of that movie...
Me: are you serious? This IS that model that starred in the movie
Him: oh!
And he continues...
Him: so you brought this from California? Sunshine state?
Me : no Florida actually...
Him: oh cause your have a California plate.
Me: that is not a real plate. Just a prop replica of the plate used in the movie. Hence the OUTATIME.
Him: oh, hadn't noticed that detail.....

I was just about to say :
Like you noticed the whole efen car you dump mop! Where you having your head in that popcorn bag during the whole friggin movie ?

After 18 months he sees that delorean transform, it finally hits him... That it looks like a movie car....

Dangermouse
11-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Ouzo is a powerful drink:o

DL4567
11-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Like you noticed the whole efen car you dump mop!

This made me LOL

ALEXAKOS
11-14-2014, 03:07 AM
Ouzo is a powerful drink:o

Actually... to get that stereotype sorted..
Ouzo is not to Greeks what Vodka is to Russians and Guinness is to the Irish.
Ouzo is only consumed during the summertime and only with fish delicacies.
I assure you, there are more pints of Guinness consumed annually in Greece that liters of ouzo ;)

This made me LOL
My LOLing will be over if my neighbor accidentally hits this forum and reads my comments! Hehehe

ALEXAKOS
11-14-2014, 03:09 AM
Just came back to check if I spelled annually correctly or if my pad change it to anusly...:s

Dangermouse
11-14-2014, 08:15 AM
I assure you, there are more pints of Guinness consumed annually in Greece that liters of ouzo ;)

easy stereotype is easy

But I did not know that. I though it was more of an after dinner drink?

The one time I was in Greece was in the summer as a tourist, so we had to drink some. But blame the Greek restaurants over here, they always promote it on their menus, and create/perpetuate the stereotype.

ALEXAKOS
11-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Ha! Tourismus! Make them believe that we always yell " OPAAAA". Once was in a GREEK restaurant in Chicago... All employees Mexican. Screamed OPA with every dish they brought in.. I was like .. WTF DUDE!!! OPA is our oops!

sdg3205
11-17-2014, 12:16 AM
"DeLoreans drive like trucks. Everyone has always said DeLoreans drive like trucks."

That's a new one to me.

ALEXAKOS
11-17-2014, 03:11 AM
"DeLoreans drive like trucks. Everyone has always said DeLoreans drive like trucks."

That's a new one to me.

Maybe he heard about that snow mashine that was also called delorean... And thought it was the sports car..

Jonathan
11-17-2014, 07:45 AM

That's a new one to me.

I've heard something like that about 70s and 80s Vettes. More to do with how hard the ride is because of the suspension or springs or whatever. Like it's as comfortable as riding in "an old pick-up truck." Never heard it about the D though.

kajcienski
11-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Funny, I got the truck comment recently from a guy who test drove it back in 82 I believe. I guess I need to test drive a truck from 82.

Silverbullet
11-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Ok, I have a D and a 72 Vette... Also a couple of Pick-Ups.... and both are nothing like driving a truck... Maybe the lack of power steering in the D at the time, when going slow the higher effort needed, got him to think of a OLD Pick-Up without power steering... The D's steering never really bothered me, and the Vette has Power Rack, that is not like an old truck...

Craig

Timebender
11-17-2014, 01:52 PM

My LOLing will be over if my neighbor accidentally hits this forum and reads my comments! Hehehe

In movies like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" which is my wife's favorite movie - they have the American family drink LOTS of Ouzo (hmm, tastes like licorice); yell OPA a lot (every time there's a drink to be had or some food being brought out), think a Bundt cake is for placement of small plants, and Lamb is not meat (you don't eat meat? That's okay, we have LAMB.)
And it was written by a Greek, so it must be true. :)

ALEXAKOS
11-17-2014, 02:31 PM
In movies like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" which is my wife's favorite movie - they have the American family drink LOTS of Ouzo (hmm, tastes like licorice); yell OPA a lot (every time there's a drink to be had or some food being brought out), think a Bundt cake is for placement of small plants, and Lamb is not meat (you don't eat meat? That's okay, we have LAMB.)
And it was written by a Greek, so it must be true. :)

Nia Vardalos... Is of GREEK decent but far from original Greek. Nia is not even a Greek name. Trust me. That movie was made in overdose of stereotype. But there was some resemblance with the Greek families living in the US which are far from what the true Greek lifestyle is like.

But yes a fun american movie with some Greek words if you ask me.

ALEXAKOS
11-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Ok, I have a D and a 72 Vette... Also a couple of Pick-Ups....

Craig

+1
I had a 71 Vette! Power steering on that thing was better than newer vehicles!

Try to steer a lada niva! That is the worst steering experience I ever had!

Farrar
11-17-2014, 07:02 PM
But yes a fun american movie with some Greek words if you ask me.

You have a better attitude than my friend from Germany who went to "Oktoberfest" in North Carolina. She kept wondering why the music kept repeating "Dance Little Bird." (In the U.S. it is known as "Chicken Dance.") When she saw people dancing to it, she said "Oh no..." and nearly cried trying not to laugh. I think she was secretly horrified by what passes for "foreign culture" in the U.S., and probably couldn't wait to get back home! LOL

ALEXAKOS
11-18-2014, 01:31 AM
You have a better attitude than my friend from Germany who went to "Oktoberfest" in North Carolina. She kept wondering why the music kept repeating "Dance Little Bird." (In the U.S. it is known as "Chicken Dance.") When she saw people dancing to it, she said "Oh no..." and nearly cried trying not to laugh. I think she was secretly horrified by what passes for "foreign culture" in the U.S., and probably couldn't wait to get back home! LOL

Really? Oktoberfest with the funky chicken? Hahaha! Must've been real funny. Well I am half German..
Poor lady! I am guessing she had other nationality issues.

I am always thinking, what is the point of frustration to things you can't alter?

SIMid
11-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Yesterday's car show.

"Mate! This vinyl wrap is amazing!!"

:confused0:

Then he fingers the panels as he didn't believe me it was all bare SS.

Farrar
11-26-2014, 03:39 PM
"You know the biggest problem with those cars is the doors falling off, right?"

Seven years of ownership and the first time I've heard that.

I think the kid saying that was born in 1995. I'd like to cut him some slack, but he's a college student, so he should know better.

tom kish vin. 4357
11-26-2014, 05:05 PM
"You know the biggest problem with those cars is the doors falling off, right?"

Seven years of ownership and the first time I've heard that.

I think the kid saying that was born in 1995. I'd like to cut him some slack, but he's a college student, so he should know better.

So now we know why Farrar does not drive his car (the doors keep falling off)!!!

Farrar
11-26-2014, 05:09 PM
So now we know why Farrar does not drive his car (the doors keep falling off)!!!

:lol:

No, not quite... it's because I have other stuff taking up my time and money at the moment. Things should settle down somewhat next year, though.

Silverbullet
11-27-2014, 01:32 AM
Not enough time and not enough money... can kill so many projects.....

Craig

Farrar
11-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Not enough time and not enough money... can kill so many projects.....

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31876&stc=1

refugeefromcalif
11-27-2014, 05:00 PM
I had an interesting comment the other day.
I'd stopped at a gas station and a guy in a early 70's Mustang came over and said, "Hey, That's the car that was used in That movie!"
When he stumbled on the name of the movie I told him, Back to the Future.
He replied, "No that's not it. It was that James Bond movie where the car becomes a submarine."
I tried to explain that's not the same car. He advised me to watch the James Bond movie again and then I'd see it was.

George

SIMid
11-27-2014, 05:37 PM
. He advised me to watch the James Bond movie again and then I'd see it was.

George

Should had grabbed his mobile number and put a bet on it!

SIMid
11-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Was filling up the other day and at the service boy behind the counter (Indian background) asked me how I put in the doors as some modified cars have the scissor doors. I told him that was how the car was built.

He then asked "From Japan?"

"No, Ireland."

Even more confused expression. Then some silence as he thinks really hard.

"Watched Back to the future?"

"Is it a TV show?"

"No, 80's movie."

"Ok. Still looks Japanese."

"Go watch the movie".

Even if he does watch it, it wont resolve all those Qs he had. But at least it would make him even more confused!

Kenny_Z
11-27-2014, 06:19 PM
I had a young man ask me how I did that to the doors a couple of years ago. He didn't get that the car was built that way until I showed him the two smaller DeLoreans.

Timebender
11-28-2014, 01:53 PM
I had an interesting comment the other day.
I'd stopped at a gas station and a guy in a early 70's Mustang came over and said, "Hey, That's the car that was used in That movie!"
When he stumbled on the name of the movie I told him, Back to the Future.
He replied, "No that's not it. It was that James Bond movie where the car becomes a submarine."
I tried to explain that's not the same car. He advised me to watch the James Bond movie again and then I'd see it was.

George

I would've bet car for car- and you'd then have a nice classic Mustang!

DashEight
11-28-2014, 10:24 PM

bfloyd
12-04-2014, 12:02 PM
I just bought #3294 about 3 weeks ago, and the comments started pretty much as soon as I bought it. I live near Nashville, but drove up to Jeffersonville, Indiana to pick up the car from a Craigslist seller. As soon as I left the sellers house, I drove my truck with the car on a trailer up the street to the local McDonald's to pick up a bite to eat before I headed home. I parked out front, and was immediately called "McFly" by some lady leaving the drive-thru lane as I was climbing out of my truck. Before I could walk across the parking lot... these two 20-something stoners approached, and one of them shouted... "Dude you've got a fu*%$ng Lamborghini!" They stood there and told me all about my car and snapped photos with their phones. Sitting at a table inside the McDonald's I started hearing car horns honk, and noticed people were getting out of their cars in the drive thru line to go take photos and selfies with my car.

After McDonald's, I head down to the local Autozone to buy more ratchet straps, and come out to a circle of people surrounding the car on the trailer. Most congratulated me on the purchase, others told me what a piece of shit it was.

Stopping for gas in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, two college age girls asked me what kind of car it was and wanted to see inside.

After getting lost somewhere in B.F.E. Kentucky (Thanks Google Maps!), I stopped at a local convenience store to ask directions, and came back outside to see a group of about 3 or 4 older gentlemen walking around the car checking it out, and of course one of them "used to have one back in the 70's, but it was blue".

But my favorite comment came this past Tuesday night. I'm a cubscout leader for my 8 year old son, and one of my scouts followed me out to the garage to get some tools. I open the door, flip on the light... and he just stops dead in his tracks. He turns around with the most serious face and says, "Mr. Barry, is that a REAL spaceship?" I just looked at him and say, "Yes it is".

robvanderveer
12-04-2014, 12:10 PM
lol, so familiar!

vps3922
12-04-2014, 12:47 PM
"Mr. Barry, is that a REAL spaceship?" I just looked at him and say, "Yes it is".

That is awesome! :bigclap:

Timebender
12-04-2014, 05:57 PM
"Mr. Barry, is that a REAL spaceship?" I just looked at him and say, "Yes it is".

Now you need a space suit to hang in the garage near the car. Or a radiation suit.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/fWEsW.jpg

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071025175606/bttf/images/8/81/Tales_from_space_BTTF.JPG

SIMid
12-04-2014, 05:58 PM
others told me what a piece of shit it was.

I f*#ken hate people who say things like this about my D.

A close friend, sister's partner told her my car "looks like shit" when I got it. I unfriended him, his parter and my close friend. She said it was a "joke" when I blocked them all at the same time. This was 3+ years ago and never seen or spoken to any of them since.

I occasionally get that comment at some car shows and you do hear them, not expecting you to be the owner standing there next to them. One young bloke said it a few years ago and I must had been in a bad mood and said to him.
"What the f*&k do you know about Deloreans? Tell me? I'm interested to hear your educated view of the brand and about the car. Do you own one? Have you owned one? Please tell me, I'm all ears."

DMC3165
12-04-2014, 07:08 PM
A few years back I did a high end car show at Westbury gardens here on long Island. There were your garden variety museum quality pre war cars, muscle cars, Rolls royce, Bentley, ferrari, Lamborghini you name it. What was also there was a local Pantera club. While the Delorean was generally well received. A few suits were walking past and commented "That's just about the ugliest F'N thing I ever saw" only he didn't abbreviate the "F" word. I was so stark raving mad. As if to be snubbed by these high society bags of crap. I was just about to say something when my dad grabbed me and said "look everyone has an opinion." If he hadn't been there I might have said something but what can I do.
My dad also told me once "opinions are like A-holes" only he didn't abbreviate it either :)

Kenny_Z
12-06-2014, 02:40 PM
I was at a convention last year and saw a lego Marty walking around. I told his wife that there was a real DeLorean out in the parking lot if she wanted to take him out there to have his picture taken with it. She said "oh great. Not one of those ugly things." I just said "gee, thanks." and walked off. I found a photo of him with my car later in the week so he did get to have his photo with it. The lady still captioned it "(husband's name) with his ugly dream car." I feel sorry for that guy.

Rich_NYS
12-06-2014, 05:35 PM
I was at a convention last year and saw a lego Marty walking around. I told his wife that there was a real DeLorean out in the parking lot if she wanted to take him out there to have his picture taken with it. She said "oh great. Not one of those ugly things." I just said "gee, thanks." and walked off. I found a photo of him with my car later in the week so he did get to have his photo with it. The lady still captioned it "(husband's name) with his ugly dream car." I feel sorry for that guy.

She must've been a real joy to spend the day with....

Jonathan
12-07-2014, 12:13 AM
She must've been a real joy to spend the day with....

That's getting off easy. Imagine being married to her.

Silverbullet
12-07-2014, 01:10 AM
That's getting off easy. Imagine being married to her.

True dat, true dat....:lol:

bxtech
12-17-2014, 07:27 PM
I just bought #3294 about 3 weeks ago, and the comments started pretty much as soon as I bought it. I live near Nashville, but drove up to Jeffersonville, Indiana to pick up the car from a Craigslist seller. As soon as I left the sellers house, I drove my truck with the car on a trailer up the street to the local McDonald's to pick up a bite to eat before I headed home. I parked out front, and was immediately called "McFly" by some lady leaving the drive-thru lane as I was climbing out of my truck. Before I could walk across the parking lot... these two 20-something stoners approached, and one of them shouted... "Dude you've got a fu*%$ng Lamborghini!" They stood there and told me all about my car and snapped photos with their phones. Sitting at a table inside the McDonald's I started hearing car horns honk, and noticed people were getting out of their cars in the drive thru line to go take photos and selfies with my car.

After McDonald's, I head down to the local Autozone to buy more ratchet straps, and come out to a circle of people surrounding the car on the trailer. Most congratulated me on the purchase, others told me what a piece of shit it was.

Stopping for gas in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, two college age girls asked me what kind of car it was and wanted to see inside.

After getting lost somewhere in B.F.E. Kentucky (Thanks Google Maps!), I stopped at a local convenience store to ask directions, and came back outside to see a group of about 3 or 4 older gentlemen walking around the car checking it out, and of course one of them "used to have one back in the 70's, but it was blue".

But my favorite comment came this past Tuesday night. I'm a cubscout leader for my 8 year old son, and one of my scouts followed me out to the garage to get some tools. I open the door, flip on the light... and he just stops dead in his tracks. He turns around with the most serious face and says, "Mr. Barry, is that a REAL spaceship?" I just looked at him and say, "Yes it is".

Lol! Wow, this story was great! In a matter of such a short time, you sure got a wide variety of different comments and different people. Congrats on your new purchase. Quite an experience in just the trip home!

mac
12-17-2014, 07:39 PM
A new one (to me) in front of a fashion party location entrance (man to his colleague): "Look, a Delorean. From that bankrupt Irish guy."

painterdave72
12-17-2014, 08:08 PM
Hanging out with another d owner here on the plaza.. showing my car to a guy and his wife or something.. him.. hows that aluminum holding up for you.. me.. its not aluminum its body panels are made of stainless steel.. him.. that doesnt look like any stainless steel i have ever seen.. and he just walks off.. .lol...

AugustneverEnds
12-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Beautiful October morning, I drove to a local record store and several people gathered to look at the car and ask questions. No problem, everyone is being friendly and respectful. Then the know-it-all saunters over to me. First he says "nice car", I thank him. Then he takes a look at my registration sticker and shakes his head mournfully, stating, "It's a fake." I inquire as to how he has reached this conclusion. His answer is that only 200 or so DeLoreans were produced in Italy and the market is awash with counterfeits and I have been had, to which he says, "Tough break, man. At least it looks good." He then leaves to finish whatever illicit substance he has been smoking/inhaling/imbibing with his equally toasted looking buddies in their Buick POS.

Farrar
12-17-2014, 09:23 PM
It's like people get less intelligent every day.

SIMid
12-17-2014, 10:21 PM
It's like people get less intelligent every day.

Lack of Oxygen.

Jonathan
12-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Lack of Oxygen.

Funny enough, a friend of mine refers to this kind of guy as an "oxygen thief" cause that's all he's really doing while inhabiting the planet with the rest of us.

Farrar
12-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Maybe DeLorean owners should bring hyperbaric (sp?) chambers with them to car shows.

"Hey, is that the one with the V8 in it? Why'd you put the engine in the back? How's the aluminum body holding up after 50 years?"
"Sir, please step into this oxygen bath. All your questions will be answered."

Timebender
12-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Beautiful October morning, I drove to a local record store...

See? Time travel with a DeLorean IS possible!! Please tell me it was the Wherehouse or Tower Records...

Farrar
12-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Tower Records...

I miss Tower Records so much... I guess the writing was on the wall for Tower when the Virgin MegaStore opened up down the street, but then Katrina came and wiped them BOTH away! :'( Memories...

AugustneverEnds
12-19-2014, 11:57 AM
See? Time travel with a DeLorean IS possible!! Please tell me it was the Wherehouse or Tower Records...

Duh of course time travel with the D is possible!! :wink:

I use the term record store a little liberally here. Sorry to disappoint but it's called the Sound Garden (in Syracuse, NY) and they buy/sell new and used CDs, vinyl and DVDs. You didn't think I live in NYC, now did ya? :nono:

valdez
12-19-2014, 04:26 PM
"Don't drive a Delorean in the rain cause you will wreck it"

Timebender
01-19-2015, 07:30 PM
So now I get to add to this wonderful thread. I've let friends on Facebook know about the DeLorean I'm getting this week with some pics of it.
Number 1 question (numerous times): Are you getting it with a Mr. Fusion?

Of course I had to respond that a Mr. Fusion is of no value without a Flux Capacitor. No one seemed to get that.

Not a single Flux Capacitor joke yet.

StainlessBullet
01-19-2015, 08:47 PM
So now I get to add to this wonderful thread. I've let friends on Facebook know about the DeLorean I'm getting this week with some pics of it.
Number 1 question (numerous times): Are you getting it with a Mr. Fusion?

Of course I had to respond that a Mr. Fusion is of no value without a Flux Capacitor. No one seemed to get that.

Not a single Flux Capacitor joke yet.

Congrats on your new purchase. You don't have to worry! There are many Flux Capacitor jokes in your future! :tongue2:

The Flux Capacitor jokes never have gotten to me. What I can't stand are the "know it all" types. The people that will come up to you and tell you what a piece of crap you own, or how slow it is, or how their brother's bosses sister's husband bought a new one for $15,000. It's a good thing I don't value other peoples opinion and bought the car for ME to enjoy.

papanoel
01-19-2015, 09:28 PM
random guy: "is that real?"
me: "um i don't understand the question"
random guy: "like is it real?"
me: "um its there isnt it? looks real to me"
random guy: "but is it real?"
me: blank stare.

kbrown84
01-19-2015, 09:33 PM
I always get "wow...you dont see those every day!"
To which I respond..."well, i do."

KB

Timebender
01-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Congrats on your new purchase. You don't have to worry! There are many Flux Capacitor jokes in your future! :tongue2:

The Flux Capacitor jokes never have gotten to me. What I can't stand are the "know it all" types. The people that will come up to you and tell you what a piece of crap you own, or how slow it is, or how their brother's bosses sister's husband bought a new one for $15,000. It's a good thing I don't value other peoples opinion and bought the car for ME to enjoy.
Can't wait as I'm building a list of snarky comebacks. Already get a bunch of dumb questions when I have R2 out:

Does it fly?
Can he go around by himself?
Where are the jets?
Where are the rocket boosters?
Hey look kids, it's C-P30 (yes, not C-3P0..)
What is that thing?
Can he jump out of your car?
What's he saying?
I bet that cost like $50,000 bucks!
Is that the one from the movie?
Where can I buy one?

and many many more.

ALEXAKOS
01-23-2015, 07:11 AM
I hear behind me "look a Longoria"
I think to my self:
"I wish I was riding that ...."
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/23/d712b8ea406b5c38b31ca51388d9a688.jpg

Timebender
01-23-2015, 02:36 PM
From a friend: Do you see the white lines in front of you disappearing as you're going down the road?

My response: Where I go, I don't need any roads.

BAM!

SKnight
03-21-2015, 10:55 PM
Had a stupid moment with the car today.

I washed it and decided to go for a drive to a Starbucks. I get my coffee, go outside and sit on some benches right in front of the car. A guy pulls up and gets out, his first comment is "woah! Back to the Future." I look up, smile and go yep (wasn't really sure what else to say), then he goes "my friend used to have one of these and I got to ride in it." I was about to tell him that I get to ride in it whenever I want when he said "they're really not that great, I wasn't impressed at all with his." Then he pulls out his camera and proceeds to take about 5 or 6 pictures all around the car. As he's snapping away, he wondered aloud a few times how much DeLoreans cost. He definitely seemed to be at least somewhat intrigued by something that didn't impress him. When he was done with that, he turned and walked away. I muttered something that probably gotten him to walk back over, but I wasn't in the mood to argue with idiots. What stumped me was the fact that I was the only one sitting near the car and it never crossed his mind that I might be the owner. Oh well....

Shep
03-22-2015, 05:21 AM
Was filling up for the first time since I got it back, and had a couple people approach me about it. First guy was all excited, younger than I was, taking pictures, I even let him ait in it and took a picture of him in it. Second guy was also polite, friendly, but had one comment that was a new one to me, so I thought I'd share it:

Him: You know he invented snow tires, right?
Me: I know he invented a lot of things, but wasn't aware of that one actually
Him: I mean, drugs and all

Had me dumbfounded, but it was quite creative, so I laughed and was a good sport about it. Other than that, he was very nice and polite, even remembered the local dealership back in the day.

Filling up with gas is fun. Get all kinds of attention and more comments than I do at car shows. Must be the fact that people aren't expecting to see one fill up when I do, whereas at a car show it's kind of expected. :)

StainlessBullet
03-22-2015, 11:45 AM
I was recently asked how I created the cargo area behind the seats. I couldn't understand what they meant. They proceeded to tell me how all D's came with back seats and how someone did some crazy rear seat removal modding to mine.

That makes twice now that someone has asked me about back seats.

clenet
03-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Did you know the early ones were fiberglass and painted different colors? His uncle had one! Oh sure...

andyd
03-23-2015, 06:44 PM
Did you know the early ones were fiberglass and painted different colors?

well, I guess it's kind of true!

A

Shep
03-23-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm fairly certain he was thinking of Bricklins. Wouldn't be the first time I got that actually.

novadmc
05-07-2015, 09:46 PM
getting gas with the DeLorean this evening. teenager walks up to me:
teen: "really digging the car man, looks real nice."
me: "hey, thanks!"
teen: "what is it?"
:facepalm:

Jimmyvonviggle
05-07-2015, 09:49 PM
getting gas with the DeLorean this evening. teenager walks up to me:
teen: "really digging the car man, looks real nice."
me: "hey, thanks!"
teen: "what is it?"
:facepalm:

Not really a stupid comment if he was sincere. It always amazes me when I talk to younger people how little they know of the past.

novadmc
05-07-2015, 09:53 PM
yeah, if anything it was more of a blow to my ego having to realize that i'm not young myself anymore (compared to the teenager).

But in my defense, he asked me this while standing at the rear of the car where the bumper clearly says "DeLorean" (and to add to it, my bumper has the stainless letters affixed the bumper as well)

i did nicely tell him its a delorean. still got a semi blank stare. i said "you see Back to the Future? its the car from that." he seemed recognize it then.

Timebender
05-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Poor kid. Probably was denied the proper upbringing of having parents who love classic cars.

davidc89
05-07-2015, 11:24 PM
It seems like every time I go out people always ask "what motor does this one have? The V6 or the V8?" I explain to them that they only had one engine option. Even after I explain this, they still seem to think they came from the factory with a Chevrolet or Ford motor. Other comments I get are "AMC was really ahead of their time with this car, not like the other junk cars they made." Apparently American Motors made DeLoreans too?

Mark D
05-08-2015, 09:24 AM
yeah, if anything it was more of a blow to my ego having to realize that i'm not young myself anymore (compared to the teenager).

But in my defense, he asked me this while standing at the rear of the car where the bumper clearly says "DeLorean" (and to add to it, my bumper has the stainless letters affixed the bumper as well)

i did nicely tell him its a delorean. still got a semi blank stare. i said "you see Back to the Future? its the car from that." he seemed recognize it then.

The whole name on the bumper seems to elude most people for whatever reason... Either the font is too weird that they can't make out what it says, they're too taken aback by the rest of the car and don't notice the lettering there, or they read it but still don't know what a DeLorean is.

I've been asked what kind of car it is more times than I can count while the person was standing at the rear of the car, or had people pull up beside me at a stop light that had been following me ask what kind of car it is.

Farrar
05-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Well, there are an awful lot of cars out there with words on them that are not the name of the manufacturer... For example, this Ford:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34268&stc=1

AirmanPika
05-08-2015, 06:08 PM
The whole name on the bumper seems to elude most people for whatever reason... Either the font is too weird that they can't make out what it says, they're too taken aback by the rest of the car and don't notice the lettering there, or they read it but still don't know what a DeLorean is.

I've been asked what kind of car it is more times than I can count while the person was standing at the rear of the car, or had people pull up beside me at a stop light that had been following me ask what kind of car it is.

Back when my car was still red people used to think it was a Ferrari

Kenny_Z
05-08-2015, 10:41 PM

Mine attracted more girls when it was red. Pretty sure they thought it was a Ferrari too.

mr_maxime
05-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Ive had a few people say that my black delo looks more like a ferrari than the SS.

When hasselhoff's true survivor came out I read an article describing the countach in the video as a "delorean-like car"

berickson926
05-10-2015, 11:53 PM

Had a lady approach me at a gas station convinced it was a Ferrari, and it isn't even painted.

After a series of questions about the origins and name I attempted to placate her by mentioning Guigiaro. This seemed to have the complete opposite effect, as she then affirmed it is a Ferrari, because Italians. She obviously meant well and was friendly enough, but probably the strangest conversation I've had so far.

I also had a guy ask me about "the v8 option" and then mentioned Canada, unfortunately I didn't realize he was referring to a Bricklin until after he walked away.

Farrar
05-11-2015, 12:01 AM
The only car show I ever took my car to was on a college campus. One of the students came up to my car and said in Italian-accented broken English: "This supposed to be British car show, but this look like Italian car." Well, I had to explain the Giugiaro connection.

Timebender
05-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Btw if anyone ever needs to know how to pronounce Giugiro's name, here's a handy link - http://www.forvo.com/word/giorgetto_giugiaro/
But don't try to sound like the Italian woman is pronouncing it.
Now if I can get my friends who think they know cars learn to pronounce Porsche correctly, I'd be happy.

Farrar
05-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Now if I can get my friends who think they know cars learn to pronounce Porsche correctly, I'd be happy.

Tell them it's pronounced exactly like Portia, from Shakespeare's "The Merchant of Venice." ;D

JohnZ
05-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Btw if anyone ever needs to know how to pronounce Giugiro's name, here's a handy link - http://www.forvo.com/word/giorgetto_giugiaro/

Ah ah I feel I start with an advantage there! :partyhat:

That recorded woman has the "french R", so that pronounce isn't correct either!

Timebender
05-11-2015, 05:49 PM
So can you spell out the correct pronunciation, or is that close, minus the French "R"?

JohnZ
05-11-2015, 05:52 PM
So can you spell out the correct pronunciation, or is that close, minus the French "R"?

Yes the lady said it correctly, a part from that R... I simply don't want you to believe that the correct pronounce needs the French R! :tongue:

Timebender
05-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Yes the lady said it correctly, a part from that R... I simply don't want you to believe that the correct pronounce needs the French R! :tongue:

Got it. No rolling R then.

mac
05-12-2015, 12:11 AM

As a German it is very hard and hurting to hear someone say "Porsh" or also "A-daiii-das"... *brrrr* :nervous:

Victor
05-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Mine attracted more girls when it was red. Pretty sure they thought it was a Ferrari too.

Mine seems to attract cop more than anything. I was pull over by a cop the other day, with the swinging lights on and everything... In fact he made a U turn to get me!
Turn out the officer just wanted to see the car. The problem is my wife and daughter were with me in another car and thought I was going to have a ticket.
I just ask him if cop were allowed to stop any car they wish to see...and he quickly just add that he wanted to check if I had all my papers in order...blah blah blah..It turn out that my insurances paper was out of date but only the paper. He let me go and thank me for letting him see the car. Fucking cops!!

Shep
05-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Dude, relax. No need to get all anti-police over one incident. If you didn't want the attention, why'd you drive the DeLorean? Seriously.

Jimmyvonviggle
05-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Dude, relax. No need to get all anti-police over one incident. If you didn't want the attention, why'd you drive the DeLorean? Seriously.

I'll have to agree with Victor. Cops shouldn't be allowed to pull you over because they want.

Victor
05-12-2015, 02:14 PM

It happens to me more than I would wish for. But fortunately I only had one ticket out of many time I have been pulled over. But I like driving the Delorean even if it means having to deal with unpleasant encounters sometimes.
I should relax for sure , but it is quite stressing when you see those lights in the rear-view mirror!!!

But yes there are good cops out there. Just not many around here.

Shep
05-12-2015, 02:28 PM
I'll have to agree with Victor. Cops shouldn't be allowed to pull you over because they want.At what point did I say anything to the contrary? All I'm saying is that this isn't some "F*** the police" motorcycle gang we're a part of, it's a "gentlemen's sports car" club. It's one thing to disagree with the cop's decision, quite another entirely to get all bent out of shape about it and end with a "F*** you" in their direction.

Timebender
05-12-2015, 03:15 PM
I'm okay with police, as I have friends I grew up with that are cops. However, I HATE when they come up behind me, literally on my tail (not in my DeLorean), in order to hide so they can nab someone else. That scares the crap out of me, as I KNOW I'm not doing anything wrong, yet think "Okay, what did I do wrong minutes ago?" as my stomach sinks.

Sheesh.

Farrar
05-12-2015, 03:28 PM
I've always used the "half-English" pronunciation of "jew-JAR-oh."

Some guy
05-12-2015, 03:30 PM
"If you didn't want the attention, why'd you drive the DeLorean? Seriously"

So i got the car for attention?

I thought i just liked the car.

Mind blown!!

Farrar
05-12-2015, 03:43 PM

That's why I bought mine. I don't care for attention and enjoy my anonymity. But I like the DeLorean and enjoy owning it. This whole "You bought the DeLorean because you want attention" thing seems to be a relatively new accusation - I've only heard it in the last couple of years. *shrug*

DMCVegas
05-12-2015, 05:17 PM
I'll have to agree with Victor. Cops shouldn't be allowed to pull you over because they want.

I'll second that, because I've had some nasty experiences in my DeLorean with the police before. Now that's not to say that there haven't been times that I've been pulled over, and there wasn't good reason. Because there was. The best example was one day I stopped by the DMV to take care of my registration, as well as order a personalized license plate. I did this all before I was going to work, and after leaving the DMV while driving to my then job, I got pulled over because my license plate was shown as surrendered and wasn't valid for the car (the database was already showing my new plate #). The officer explained to me that he had a ride along, was explaining to that person how they can run plate numbers on cars to check registration, etc. They saw my car, and decided to demo the system and procedure with it, and I got flagged because the plate obviously didn't match. Now of course I had my moving permit attached to the front windshield and the appropriate paperwork for the car, and everything checked out fine. The guy was very pleasant, everything went fine, and I was on my way with a warning that I did need to remove the license plate as since it was no longer valid, it was illegal to display it.

So I proceed on to my job. Later I grab a screwdriver out of the trunk, and remove the plate before I head home that night. And then I get pulled over over by a state trooper because I don't have a plate on the back...:banghead: Luckily he was friendly too, as are the majority of officers I've encountered. Most of the time they've always talked to me about the car when I've been parked at a gas station, or something else.

But there have also been some seriously bad experiences too.

I picked up my car when I was 21, and still looked like a teenager. But one night after driving home from work from that same job, I left for the supermarket for groceries and got pulled over. The cop said it was because it looked like I was going to run a stop sign. I asked how that was possible, and he said that it was because I saw him that I changed my mind. Which wasn't true, and I told him as much without arguing. I say that because a traffic stop is not the place to argue. The court is for that. But then this guy started in with snide remarks and questions asking me why I was out driving my father's car. I told him that I was not, my father was dead, and this is my car. This guy was a complete jerk. He ran my license, checked my insurance, wrote down my VIN number from both the door sill as well as the dash. This guy even went back and wrote down the serial number on my registration sticker! I know this because cops don't seem to realize that the louvers combined with the hight of the car block out the floodlights. I could always see the officers clear as day where they were, and what they were doing. And this guy even knelled down with a pad and paper to write down the serial number on my registration sticker. He kept up with the stop sign bit, and the only time that I even remotely got smart with him was about 30 minutes later when I asked what I was being cited for. He said that he wasn't going to cite me, but threatened me to stay out of his area or else he'd impound my car next time. Plenty of other grocery stores closer to me. This was past the city limits into Las Vegas, and I lived in North Las Vegas.

The other time was in Conroe, TX when a Montgomery County Sheriff threatened to impound all 3 of my vehicles for failed registration. But maybe he'd overlook it after i sold him my DeLorean... I told him that it wasn't for sale. He snapped at me that he didn't ask if it was for sale, and that if I did sell it I'd have enough money to register my other cars in Texas rather than loose them to impound. That was some scary-ass, corrupt small town sheriff shit. Luckily he got called away on the radio. He wasn't happy about it though and told me that he sees me every night, and that we'd talk again. I left the car there, and a week or so later came back with a trailer and truck during the day when he wasn't around and got the car the hell out of there.

There are plenty of good cops around. But until you've had one of the bad ones mess with you, you've no idea what it's like. I think that if more people had those negative experiences, they'd be far more sympathetic.

Shep
05-12-2015, 05:31 PM
"If you didn't want the attention, why'd you drive the DeLorean? Seriously"

So i got the car for attention?

Mind blown!!He said he had his wife and daughter in tow. Did you catch that? That's two cars. Not one, TWO. Next time actually take two goddamn seconds to read before you start with the snarky sarcasm.

The hell is with everyone misconstruing my words and inventing their own context here?

Stainless
05-12-2015, 07:00 PM
He said he had his wife and daughter in tow. Did you catch that? That's two cars. Not one, TWO. Next time actually take two goddamn seconds to read before you start with the snarky sarcasm.

The hell is with everyone misconstruing my words and inventing their own context here?

Maybe I missed this, but what does that dude being in a separate car from his wife and daughter have to do with him wanting attention?

Shep
05-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Maybe I missed this, but what does that dude being in a separate car from his wife and daughter have to do with him wanting attention?Context. Of which everyone seems to want to ignore apparently.:facepalm:

SKnight
05-16-2015, 04:22 PM
I think there have been similar comments to this one on the thread

"How long did it take you grind all of the paint down to bare metal?"

Came from a young 20s guy who also asked if I wanted to sell it to him and thought that it'd look good with spacers.

Stainless
05-16-2015, 04:55 PM
A 20 something guy walking out from the mall said, "Can you take me back in time? My ex-girlfriend is crazy!"

Okay...

Tillsy
05-16-2015, 07:23 PM
A 20 something guy walking out from the mall said, "Can you take me back in time? My ex-girlfriend is crazy!"

Okay...

Sorry, I reckon that's pretty clever and funny :hysterical:

bytes311
05-20-2015, 11:59 AM
This one was a first for me and I thought it was pretty funny: "Cool batman car!!"

sdg3205
05-20-2015, 03:12 PM
As i was washing it the other day, my neighbour (who I don't know) drives by and says "Isn't that a piece of shit?"

DMCMW Dave
05-20-2015, 03:25 PM
As i was washing it the other day, my neighbour (who I don't know) drives by and says "Isn't that a piece of shit?"

And I'll be you just ran up and introduced yourself at that point . . . .

Mark D
05-20-2015, 03:25 PM

The only time I've had my car called a piece of shit was when the guy incorrectly thought the car was painted in scratched up gray primer. For whatever reason he couldn't grasp that it was bare metal and somehow not rusting away. I guess he'd never seen a stainless sink or refrigerator before.

I wonder if this wasn't the case of someone driving by and seeing a car where the finish of the front and rear fascia didn't match the rest of the car and assumed it was a half finished project car of some kind with aftermarket lambo doors.

papanoel
05-20-2015, 03:44 PM
I've had several run ins with shady characters trying to stop me and offer me money for my car. both in NJ and Manhattan.

How many times does one have to say not for sale to "how much you want for it"? And then they get pissed when you tell them to leave because you've already said no to them 10 times.

sdg3205
05-20-2015, 03:44 PM
I wonder if this wasn't the case of someone driving by and seeing a car where the finish of the front and rear fascia didn't match the rest of the car and assumed it was a half finished project car of some kind with aftermarket lambo doors.

Sometimes I'm just so blown away by what people say and/or do I can't even respond. Regardless of what something looked like, I can't envision myself walking up to a stranger to call something he owns a piece of shit. Might I comment quietly to my wife? Maybe!

Volker (vps3922) and I were at a car show recently and I had the PVC piping over the the striker pins to help keep people out. A middle aged asian woman still decided to climb in, bending the pipes user her as she went. Again, at a loss for words, i told her it was inappropriate and that the bars were there so people wouldn't do that. She laughed instead of apologizing and walked away. The rage.

bytes311
05-20-2015, 04:03 PM
Sometimes I'm just so blown away by what people say and/or do I can't even respond. Regardless of what something looked like, I can't envision myself walking up to a stranger to call something he owns a piece of shit. Might I comment quietly to my wife? Maybe!

Volker (vps3922) and I were at a car show recently and I had the PVC piping over the the striker pins to help keep people out. A middle aged asian woman still decided to climb in, bending the pipes user her as she went. Again, at a loss for words, i told her it was inappropriate and that the bars were there so people wouldn't do that. She laughed instead of apologizing and walked away. The rage.

I've only been on the road for a week, but so far my experience has been positive. Two people asked if I had a flux capacitor, and several others gave a thumbs up.

sdg3205
05-20-2015, 04:09 PM
I've only been on the road for a week, but so far my experience has been positive. Two people asked if I had a flux capacitor, and several others gave a thumbs up.

We have a thread for that, too!

mr_maxime
05-20-2015, 06:44 PM
The only "stupid" comments were before I owned the car. Ive only heard positive things in the small amount of time Ive actually driven it so far.

SKnight
05-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Had this happen about a week ago, a guy walks up and says "I love those cars, but man they're hideous looking!" I can't fathom why you'd walk up to an owner and tell them their car was hideous, no matter what kind it is.

berickson926
05-21-2015, 12:45 AM
I was eating lunch at a restaurant with my car parked where I could keep an eye on it.

One of the guys working there saw that the car was mine and started talking to me about it. We talked about the car for a while and he was nice enough, seemed really excited about it.

Things take a weird turn as he proceeds to brag about how his brother is a tow truck driver. Then he tells me how lucky I am, because if he was a tow truck driver, he would love to just tow my car away for the hell of it.

I was so caught off guard all I could do was try and laugh it off at the time. This guy is telling me he wants to steal my car? Okay! :angry4:

Jonathan
05-21-2015, 09:49 AM

Wow, the rage. No kidding.

Bill Burr did an excellent job explaining why that sort of thing happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YipKPjgFaqE

I have those same "behaviour bars" as I like to call them. And lots of signs. They don't work some of the time. We all have seen the joking signs like "don't touch unless you're naked, zippers and buttons scratch" or some other cartoon making fun of the situation. The good humoured ones don't always work and yet if you put DON'T TOUCH in big, plain lettering, you'll get that putz that just eff's with your car BECAUSE the sign says not to.

I might give this sign a go next car show. It's on the fun side and we'll see if they get it.

vps3922
05-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Things I overheard during All British Field Meet last Saturday and in Whistler last Sunday:

"Oh, yes, these are DeLoreans, they were made in Canada, did you know?" (No, I did not, and if so, what do they do on an All BRITISH Field Meet?)

"Ah, and here are the DeLoreans. Be careful, there are always a few "lines" around here." (Next time I will put a line of baking powder on the hood, I swear!)

"Oh, look, a DeLorean. It is redicolous how much Aluminium they used for it. But it shines nicely in the sun." (You are looking at the front, dude, the aluminium block is in the rear)

AH, car shows...always fun!

ccurzio
05-21-2015, 10:49 AM
redicolous

Wow.

Farrar
05-21-2015, 03:53 PM
I applaud those of you who take your DeLoreans to car shows. It's like a public service. I took my car to a show once, and I'll never do it again. Uncouth morons seem to make up a surprisingly large segment of the general population, but once that pool is reduced to people who attend car shows, the ratio swells to an intolerable proportion for me.

vps3922
05-21-2015, 05:28 PM
I applaud those of you who take your DeLoreans to car shows. It's like a public service. I took my car to a show once, and I'll never do it again. Uncouth morons seem to make up a surprisingly large segment of the general population, but once that pool is reduced to people who attend car shows, the ratio swells to an intolerable proportion for me.

Well, that depends. The mentioned ABFM is a great show and people respect the cars and work that owners put into it. I cannot expect that everybody knows all details about our cars, so the good old Bricklin mixup or Aluminium/SS mixup is fine and people are nice once you correct them. But they pay for entrance. The demographic totally shifted in Whistler, where this is an open event.

Just before we left and when I was packing up I had a group of teenagers from the "I am the center of attention and can do what I want and think is cool" generation, who jumped while I was putting stuff into the trunk, with his backpack onto the driver seat. He even let me repeat my "Could you get immediately out of the car?" before he moved his a$$ (yes, I tried to stay polite and not curse...maybe I should have). I had prepared the PVC bars for the door but I had given my three sets to my DeLorean colleagues (did not expect 4 DeLoreans in total at the ABFM).

So next time I will have a set of those for my car as well and I will curse the hell out of any teenager trying to jump into my car. I was just too baffled about anybody doing it in front of me.

refugeefromcalif
05-21-2015, 07:55 PM
I entered my D in local furniture companies car show Thanksgiving 2012. Only 12 cars ended up there.
It was dominated by 60's and 70's Ford and Chevy Muscle Cars.
I had a nice time but, swore I'd never do one again.

I did hear about a show coming up at the local Hooters on May 30.
I'm planning on making it my last one... :devil:

George

andy blackmon
05-21-2015, 08:04 PM
George, a car show at Hooters? Who is going to be looking at the cars? Just a thought.
Andy B

refugeefromcalif
05-21-2015, 08:21 PM
George, a car show at Hooters? Who is going to be looking at the cars? Just a thought.
Andy B

Andy, How's it going?! I've never been to a Hooters so I'll take my chances... :meditation:
Here's a link (http://blacktoprebels.com/events/EventDetails.action?event.eventId=14237&searchRun=true) for anybody that can make it to Tuscaloosa for the show.

George

DL4567
05-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Only 12 cars ended up there. It was dominated by 60's and 70's Ford and Chevy Muscle Cars.

That's strange, I wouldn't expect that in Alabama.

Rich_NYS
05-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Response:

"Your mother likes it."

Victor
05-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Wow, the rage. No kidding.

Bill Burr did an excellent job explaining why that sort of thing happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YipKPjgFaqE

I have those same "behaviour bars" as I like to call them. And lots of signs. They don't work some of the time. We all have seen the joking signs like "don't touch unless you're naked, zippers and buttons scratch" or some other cartoon making fun of the situation. The good humoured ones don't always work and yet if you put DON'T TOUCH in big, plain lettering, you'll get that putz that just eff's with your car BECAUSE the sign says not to.

I might give this sign a go next car show. It's on the fun side and we'll see if they get it.

Very good !

Rich_NYS
05-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Uncouth morons seem to make up a surprisingly large segment of the general population, but once that pool is reduced to people who attend car shows, the ratio swells to an intolerable proportion for me.

I don't go to car shows, but based on others' experiences [I've read,] I'd say this sums it up well.

novadmc
05-22-2015, 04:06 PM
guess im one of the lucky ones. I try to take mine to the local Cars & Coffee meetups as often as I can. never had a problem with people randomly sitting in the car. the occasional person will ask to sit in it and i usually let them since they usually ask after talking to me for a while about it.

the BTTF comments haven't gotten old just yet (but probably since im a fan i don't mind them). the cocaine comments or general wrong info (aluminum, heavy, etc etc,) are starting to wear admittedly. my biggest gripe are the occasional few people that feel the need to run their fingers along the edges of the car to feel the brushed steel. nothing a quick detail with SS spray and a quick wipe doesn't fix once i get home but (so far) that's been the worst of it.

vps3922
05-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Andy B

I guess we will see a post on "DeLoreans and women" coming up (NSFW). I am looking forward to that. :popcorn:
No Hooters in BC.

refugeefromcalif
05-22-2015, 08:44 PM
I guess we will see a post on "DeLoreans and women" coming up (NSFW). I am looking forward to that. :popcorn:
No Hooters in BC.

I must be getting old.
I never thought of the Hooters women. I was more worried about getting my car ready for the car show... :hmm:
Pictures will be posted. (If it all comes together).

George

Farrar
05-25-2015, 06:55 PM
Hooters wings vs. DeLorean wings: which will win? ;D

refugeefromcalif
05-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Hooters wings vs. DeLorean wings: which will win? ;D

If the weather works out, I'll let you know... :rolleyes1:
(So far weathers not looking good)... :dead:

George

Steel
05-25-2015, 10:37 PM
There's this really pretensions, rude, stuck up, elitist woman in our development. She's the type that asks you a question just to interrupt you before you finish your third word, she died this because she's more important than everyone and she needs everyone to know that.

I had just gotten my D, which is in beautiful shape, finished cleaning it and was taking photos with the kids when fakey mc fake herself walks up and with a bit of an attitude, like "yuck" she says...

Snooty: What kind of car is that?

Me: A DeLorean

Snooty: Who made it? (Real attitude, waving her hand dismissively at "it")

Me: DeLorean

Snooty: No, who maaaade it (like I'm a child) -- Chevy, Ford?.. What company? (Emphasising comany)

...Motor Company

Farrar
05-25-2015, 10:57 PM
There's this really pretensions, rude, stuck up, elitist woman in our development. She's the type that asks you a question just to interrupt you before you finish your third word,

That's when I walk away.

Good for you for sticking it out, though. :)

DL4567
05-26-2015, 12:23 AM
Response:

"Your mother likes it."

This is brilliant. I'll have to remember it.

Steel
05-27-2015, 02:00 PM
This is brilliant. I'll have to remember it.

Is that a reference to Celebrity Jeopardy Sean Connery? If so, it's even better.

Jump to 3:20 --> http://www.hulu.com/watch/12203

Rich_NYS
05-27-2015, 07:34 PM
There's this really pretensions, rude, stuck up, elitist woman in our development. She's the type that asks you a question just to interrupt you before you finish your third word, she died this because she's more important than everyone and she needs everyone to know that.

I had just gotten my D, which is in beautiful shape, finished cleaning it and was taking photos with the kids when fakey mc fake herself walks up and with a bit of an attitude, like "yuck" she says...

Snooty: What kind of car is that?

Me: A DeLorean

Snooty: Who made it? (Real attitude, waving her hand dismissively at "it")

Snooty: No, who maaaade it (like I'm a child) -- Chevy, Ford?.. What company? (Emphasising comany)

...Motor Company

That would be my cue for a blank stare directed at her nose, completely ignoring everything she said and respond with: "there's a booger hanging out of your nose." -And never once look her in the eye....just fixate on her nose.

DMC5180
05-27-2015, 11:59 PM
That would be my cue for a blank stare directed at her nose, completely ignoring everything she said and respond with: "there's a booger hanging out of your nose." -And never once look her in the eye....just fixate on her nose.

Perfect

Steel
05-29-2015, 07:22 AM

Ha! Great. And what's perfect about your idea is you can use it in any social scenario in life. Responding to stupid car comments, on a first date or interview, or meeting the president. And especially at the next "where's the flux capacitor?"

I've had this car for two weeks now and if I hear flux capacitor one more GD time I'm going to go postal! I wanted one of these YEARS BEFORE BTTF darn it! And worse, I like the movies... A lot! Probably largely because a DeLorean was featured prominently in it, not the other way around.

They'll never diminish my passion for the car, but I'm a bit worried all the stupid comments might chip away at my fondness for the movies. Any advice?

Steel
05-29-2015, 07:24 AM
Oh, my wife had a good reply to "Does it have a flux capacitor?" She said to say, "If it did, I'd go back five minutes to avoid this conversation. ...So no, it unfortunately doesn't."

That last part is optional.

DMC5180
05-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Ha! Great. And what's perfect about your idea is you can use it in any social scenario in life. Responding to stupid car comments, on a first date or interview, or meeting the president. And especially at the next "where's the flux capacitor?"

I've had this car for two weeks now and if I hear flux capacitor one more GD time I'm going to go postal! I wanted one of these YEARS BEFORE BTTF darn it! And worse, I like the movies... A lot! Probably largely because a DeLorean was featured prominently in it, not the other way around.

They'll never diminish my passion for the car, but I'm a bit worried all the stupid comments might chip away at my fondness for the movies. Any advice?

Your statement is pretty much how I've felt over the years.

While I'm sure some idiots like to make the WTFC? remark as a poke! Most people that make the statement, use it as an "ice breaker" to start a conversation about the car in general. A few years ago I finally gave in and bought the flux capacitor cubby door replacement (NLA) btw. I had mine made without the lock hole and bottom tabs so I could set it up on the parcel shelf. Now when I'm out and about and the QUESTION comes up. I can just point to it and say here you go. This is usually followed up by a OMG that's so cool. Then the conversation usually turns to the car itself. This is how I roll with it now.

Something I've discovered, when I'm by myself I get the QUESTION at the gas pump a lot more than when my wife is with me. I guess people feel it's easier to talk to you when your alone than if you are occupied with passenger. To be honest my wife is quite extroverted and loves talking about the car when we're out and about. I am more introverted and try to avoid it. But I'm perfectly happy talking with someone who comes up to me generally interested in the car. If someone asks to take a picture of the car, I'll say, sure. Then I usually offer to take a picture of them sitting in the drivers seat. It usually makes there day.

Lenny
05-29-2015, 10:00 AM
And especially at the next "where's the flux capacitor?"

. Any advice?

I'm like you I bought the car, because of the car, not because of the movie. I tell people I bought the car in spite of the movie.

My advice suck it up!!! Every Day someone is going to ask about the Flux Capacitor, get used to it. I bought a Flux Capacitor just to shut them up. There is also a cigarette lighter USB charger you can pick up for about 25 bucks.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1dbd/?itm=customlabel0Electronics_%26_Gadgets_%7C_Car_G adgets_%26_Accessories&rkgid=1453727841&cpg=ogplahe1&source=google_home_electronics&adpos=1o1&creative=62137311885&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwnKCrBRCm1YuPrtWW0QMSJAC-5UYk4K-wOQdVMOF7aQNQXVsWhyQ5DHoqM9eCRlWNqPh8mxoCBWbw_wcB

DMC5180
05-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Does the charger version qualify as " Nano technology" ? 😉

Lenny
05-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Does the charger version qualify as " Nano technology" ? 

I have an iPhone/iPad Flux Capacitor App. I tell them that today we don't need all the hardware everything you saw in the movie is no longer necessary.

DMC5180
05-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Good point. I have the iPhone app too. I just never think about using it that way. I don't have an iPad yet. If I got one, would the iPhone app work on it? Or is there a specific version designed for the IPad?

Lenny
05-29-2015, 10:28 AM
Good point. I have the iPhone app too. I just never think about using it that way. I don't have an iPad yet. If I got one, would the iPhone app work on it? Or is there a specific version designed for the IPad?

It works fine on the iPad

DMC5180
05-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Good to know thanks!

vps3922
05-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Oh, my wife had a good reply to "Does it have a flux capacitor?" She said to say, "If it did, I'd go back five minutes to avoid this conversation. ...So no, it unfortunately doesn't."

That last part is optional.

That made my day! That is the best anwer I have read so far. Well done! :wink:

I bought one of the Think Geek chargers and plugged it in during the car show. It totally removes this question in conversations. And if they mention the USB charger than I can say that it is the enhaced version that runs on 12 V and does not require a fusion reactor or plutonium. The ECO version.

vps3922
05-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Does the charger version qualify as " Nano technology" ?

Totally!

Timebender
05-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Does the charger version qualify as " Nano technology" ? 

Yes, but it only allows you to go 1 second into the future.

One
Second
at
a
time

Steel
05-30-2015, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=vps3922;173859]That made my day! That is the best anwer I have read so far. Well done! :wink:

Thanks. That was all the misses. She's kind of proud of that one. I told her it made your day and she was pleased.

dustybarn
05-30-2015, 09:54 PM
My experience is similar; the QUESTION is almost never meant as a dig, but rather as a humorous icebreaker. I can handle that.

I have never had an unfavorable encounter with anyone. Some have been overwhelmingly positive (like the three engineering students who came sprinting across a parking lot in a rainstorm). Others have led to new friendships, like the chance encounter in a diner parking lot with an R2 builder/video producer. I've met students, mechanics, car enthusiasts (and one burlesque dancer) who I never would have met otherwise.

DMC5180
05-31-2015, 03:21 AM
Burlesque dancer!! Interesting 😉

Timebender
05-31-2015, 03:49 PM
You'd be surprised how many R2 Builders have a DeLorean.

Farrar
05-31-2015, 08:02 PM
From now on, I'm going to answer the "flux capacitor" question with "If this thing was a time machine, I wouldn't be here now."

Timebender
06-01-2015, 12:53 PM
from now on, i'm going to answer the "flux capacitor" question with "if this thing was a time machine, i wouldn't be here now."

win!

Justin51982
06-02-2015, 07:41 PM
I was on CarThrottle the other day (still new to it, pretty cool site) and someone has posted a photo of a 24 mile DeLorean. Here's how it went down:

Idiot: wonder if it comes with cocaine

Me: Ignorant comment that’s actually insulting to DeLorean owners.

Idiot: Well do you know the backstory behind the deloreans? Not an ignorant comment at all. It was a joke.

Me: I very much know the backstory and a joke can still be ignorant, insulting and in bad taste. I know that DeLorean’s family went through the ringer and still continue to go through it based on these erroneous charges. A man’s life was destroyed and it all but destroyed his family. (I continued by giving him the cliff notes version of what really happened but I won't waste the space here for all that)

Idiot: Not reading all of that. But stop being so butthurt over a joke. Relax bud. deLorean was a cocaine trafficker. Plain and simple. He needed to sell cocaine to keep DMC afloat

Also how is it insulting to DeLorean owners?

Me: to answer your question….read some of what I wrote that’s too long for you to take your time with.

Not butthurt, just amused at your ignorance…being a “Car guy” you should want to know the right facts….I could say all day and swear that BMW [He has a BMW] is made in North Korean and Kim Jong Un pisses in the fuel tank of each one….doesn’t mean it’s true….don’t perpetuate rumors that aren’t fact…..ESPECIALLY if you’re not willing to educate yourself.

Idiot: Lol It is facts though that DeLorean was involved with a big cocaine scheme….anyways it was just a joke man….not that deep

From there I just stopped wasting my time....I don't mind the FC or BTTF references, but the ignorance surround the cocaine sting pissed me the hell off.

bttws
06-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Just ask him if his BMW was built with Nazi slave labor.... But on the other hand that actually happened in the past. It isn't quite the same. And I'm sure he wouldn't make the connection.

Justin51982
06-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Just ask him if his BMW was built with Nazi slave labor.... But on the other hand that actually happened in the past. It isn't quite the same. And I'm sure he wouldn't make the connection.

Agreed, he certainly wouldn't get it..He's not even wiling to educate himself.

Hokie
06-03-2015, 01:19 AM
At the local car show last week: father to daughter - "I'll never forget first sitting in one of these back in 1973."

Jonathan
06-03-2015, 06:58 AM
At the local car show last week: father to daughter - "I'll never forget first sitting in one of these back in 1973."

Haha, that's awesome!! Now that's the kind of response you say to someone when they ask "where's the flux capacitor?"!!! (or some other completely strange time related joke said with a completely straight face.)

(I had someone last night ask "where's the Mr. Fusion?" Not stupid really, just never heard someone ask for that instead of the FC. It is 2015 I guess though... 'tis the season!)

Timebender
06-03-2015, 12:26 PM
(I had someone last night ask "where's the Mr. Fusion?" Not stupid really, just never heard someone ask for that instead of the FC. It is 2015 I guess though... 'tis the season!)
I actually get that one all the time, and have yet to have someone ask me about the Flux Capacitor... as if it's the Mr. Fusion that makes time travel possible. Sheesh.

Amateurs.

DMC5180
06-08-2015, 05:15 PM

The father probably sat in Bricklin and mistook the Delorean for the other gullwing.

40 plus years ago can be a little difficult to recall accurately.

PJ Grady Inc.
06-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Well of course he did before he was transported BTTF.
Rob

vps3922
06-09-2015, 09:54 AM
I was just putting my cover over the car (front first) in my garage and was working on getting the rear covered. Car is parked front first in the garage so the back is visible to the alley.

Guy walks down the alley, sees the car and says: "Wow! What's that? Is it..." He pauses.

Me: "A weather experiment." Silence for a few seconds and you can hear the gears in his brain turning. We both laughed after that and it turned into a nice chat.

Timebender
06-09-2015, 07:35 PM
I was just putting my cover over the car (front first) in my garage and was working on getting the rear covered. Car is parked front first in the garage so the back is visible to the alley.

Guy walks down the alley, sees the car and says: "Wow! What's that? Is it..." He pauses.

Me: "A weather experiment." Silence for a few seconds and you can hear the gears in his brain turning. We both laughed after that and it turned into a nice chat.

Clever AND fast! Nicely done sir, nicely done.

:bigclap::rock_on::hysterical:

aotmfilms
06-11-2015, 04:31 PM

I would say embrace it. When I was looking at Deloreans this past week in Chicago and Michigan, one guy while we were at the gas station told us "A bunch of Rednecks with a Delorean", he had a GM Goodwrench insignia on his sleeve. The guy just drove up in a truck, made that statement and drove off. At first I wasn't too happy but then I thought "I am a Redneck, and I WAS standing next to a Delorean" and then shrugged it off. It comes with the territory of owning these cars, so keep your chin up. :)

NOTE: I have wanted one of these since I was 11 in 1982 when I sat in one in Hazel Park Michigan--Live the Dream Man and ignore the haters! as JZD would say.

DL4567
06-11-2015, 05:51 PM
I would say embrace it. When I was looking at Deloreans this past week in Chicago and Michigan, one guy while we were at the gas station told us "A bunch of Rednecks with a Delorean", he had a GM Goodwrench insignia on his sleeve. The guy just drove up in a truck, made that statement and drove off. At first I wasn't too happy but then I thought "I am a Redneck, and I WAS standing next to a Delorean" and then shrugged it off. It comes with the territory of owning these cars, so keep your chin up. :)

NOTE: I have wanted one of these since I was 11 in 1982 when I sat in one in Hazel Park Michigan--Live the Dream Man and ignore the haters! as JZD would say.

What did you look like that would make him call you a redneck? Just curious since there are tons of them here in GA.

AugustneverEnds
06-11-2015, 10:39 PM
DeLoreans are one of the un-safest cars on the road :eek7:

aotmfilms
06-12-2015, 01:59 PM
see below. My browser seized up :((

aotmfilms
06-12-2015, 02:01 PM
What did you look like that would make him call you a redneck? Just curious since there are tons of them here in GA.

I don't know. Just walking around the car. Me and the owner were standing there when the guy said that. Me neither him said anything to the guy. (I do have a "red" neck though. :D ) I don't take "redneck" in the negative like some people do. After a certain age I guess you just let stuff go because if I got all heated I'd have a heart attack. It has helped me when I watch the Detroit Lions these past couple of years :(

If I could have gotten the guys license plate I'd have been able to answer that for you though.... lol

--Doug

DL4567
06-12-2015, 03:07 PM

I don't know. Just walking around the car. Me and the owner were standing there when the guy said that.

Hmmm.. People are so weird. I'd have to imagine it would take seeing something like this for a person to say that:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xPos521jjNnCLAeXweaKkMCBKvzjwnIjg2r-1amV9Ys=w612-h360-no

aotmfilms
06-12-2015, 03:35 PM
nice photoshop but nope! I may be fat but I was dressed in a nice underarmor workout outfit. I sure just my shorts costed more than what both of them are wearing in the pic lol!

Like I said I don't take "Redneck" in the negative. My Mom was from the great state of Mississippi (spelled wrong I think), and my Dad from Kentucky. Also my neck is red on the back of it. I am what I am I guess....

The part/point that I am trying to make is that someone drove up to us, tried to say something snide and was jealous of what the owner/car had....haters are going to hate and owners of this car need to understand that "Haters are going to hate"..just the other day Mike McElhatton, while I was at DMCMW told me he was taking care of or had taken care of a guy's Delorean that some douche keyed at a car show.

IMO if people are going to hate, ignore them until they walk away. If they stick around, call the cops, its too easy BUT If they want to learn about the Delorean and its story, then I will be happy to tell that story.

--Doug

DL4567
06-12-2015, 09:32 PM
nice photoshop but nope! I may be fat but I was dressed in a nice underarmor workout outfit. I sure just my shorts costed more than what both of them are wearing in the pic lol!

Like I said I don't take "Redneck" in the negative. My Mom was from the great state of Mississippi (spelled wrong I think), and my Dad from Kentucky. Also my neck is red on the back of it. I am what I am I guess....

The part/point that I am trying to make is that someone drove up to us, tried to say something snide and was jealous of what the owner/car had....haters are going to hate and owners of this car need to understand that "Haters are going to hate"..just the other day Mike McElhatton, while I was at DMCMW told me he was taking care of or had taken care of a guy's Delorean that some douche keyed at a car show.

IMO if people are going to hate, ignore them until they walk away. If they stick around, call the cops, its too easy BUT If they want to learn about the Delorean and its story, then I will be happy to tell that story.

--Doug

I just re-read what I wrote with the photo -- haha, definitely not implying that you look like either of those two guys, LOL!! More like that's what it would take for me to make a redneck comment, and even then it would be quietly to my friend/wife and not to them. :biggrin:

I just find it crazy that people say mean things over nothing. You're right, haters gonna hate and some people will be jealous. What can ya do. :dunno:

Rich_NYS
06-12-2015, 10:01 PM

Epic....! :cheers:

robvanderveer
06-16-2015, 09:20 AM
This morning two kids maybe 9 years old walked by and spotted my DeLorean in awe. All smiles and generally what young boys do when they see something nice, then one says to the other in a surprisingly calm and educating voice: "you do realise these cars have unpainted stainless steel panels, you know!". I was totally surprised by this very keen boy who clearly new his classics.

Some guy
06-16-2015, 01:19 PM
I was parking my car at work today and a lady on a bike goes " My friend had one of these cars, she broke down on the way to Vegas"

I didn't know what to say to that. I just though of all the memories you have of this car you bring up the really bad one?

She also had a parrot on her shoulder.

Timebender
06-16-2015, 05:12 PM
I was parking my car at work today and a lady on a bike goes " My friend had one of these cars, she broke down on the way to Vegas"

I didn't know what to say to that. I just though of all the memories you have of this car you bring up the really bad one?

She also had a parrot on her shoulder.

My comment would've been "I had a parrot once, and it always pooped on everyone."