Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Dangermouse
06-16-2015, 05:41 PM
What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

a carrot :)

I'll get my coat

mr_maxime
06-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Someone at the store saw my black Delorean and said "its the wrong color" and I replied "so what color is yours?". She didn't have one.

sdg3205
06-17-2015, 12:50 AM
Someone at the store saw my black Delorean and said "its the wrong color" and I replied "so what color is yours?". She didn't have one.

Yes!

When I get "these things are heavy and slow" i respond with "is that your impression from owning or driving one?" Of course 99% of the time they neither own or have driven one so they look like morons regurgitating wrong information. Well, okay they are a bit slow, but i feel better about life afterwards.

Jonathan
06-17-2015, 08:06 AM

"Wrong color?".... according to who?

Funny how people figure YOUR car isn't RIGHT. Granted, a car that wasn't painted at all originally vs black is a bit of an odd example.

I love the people that go ape sh!t over the car and then right at the end toss in some jab about "oh, but it's an automatic" in a 'that's too bad' sort of way. I like that reply though... and you know they've never driven an automatic or manual themselves anyway.

The thing is though, you go up and down the line at any cruise night and look at what kind of transmission most of the cars are and it's an automatic. Primarily the muscle car era I'm thinking. Here'll be some huge engine '69 Camaro or Chevelle or something and of course it's an automatic. I wonder if those guys get the same comments? Yes, thank you for your input. I'm thrilled your Civic is a stick shift. You wild man, you.

mr_maxime
06-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Lol I got plenty of comments at work for buying a manual when I didn't know how to drive one. If I were staying and working in the Atlanta area, id be more inclined to go with the automatic. I don't have to worry about constant stop and go where I work now so it's not as much of a pain.

My friend who drives a manual civic si said that my Deloreans clutch was the hardest hed ever driven.

Timebender
06-17-2015, 12:25 PM

Nicely done sir! And black is the only "color" a DeLorean should be, IMO- since SS isn't really a color- gray maybe?

Timebender
06-17-2015, 12:31 PM
The thing is though, you go up and down the line at any cruise night and look at what kind of transmission most of the cars are and it's an automatic. Primarily the muscle car era I'm thinking. Here'll be some huge engine '69 Camaro or Chevelle or something and of course it's an automatic.
As are almost all the 1932 and up Fords and so on that have been hot-rodded - almost all (95%) that I see on a given Wednesday (we have a weekly car show in El Cajon) have been swapped out for an auto.

My son's 1970 Camaro Rally Sport came with a Turbo Hydramatic transmission, as that was pretty much standard back then, and now it's one of the main selling points on one.

GS450-Junkie
06-19-2015, 08:44 AM
Today I had my car appraised. The appraiser was an older gentleman, and he told me he has been doing appraisals for over 30 years. We talked about odd or cool cars he has seen during this time. Panteras, Superbirds, Ferrari,Viper, DeLorean, etc. He then began naming guys throughout the state who own DeLoreans, and have had appraisals done by him as well. I felt pretty good about it once he got started, but that quickly just turned to a sigh as he asked me his first question with clipboard and pen in hand.
"Does it still have the stock 351?"

:smokelot:

I should have stopped him immediately and said, "please leave."

Mark D
06-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Today I had my car appraised. The appraiser was an older gentleman, and he told me he has been doing appraisals for over 30 years. We talked about odd or cool cars he has seen during this time. Panteras, Superbirds, Ferrari,Viper, DeLorean, etc. He then began naming guys throughout the state who own DeLoreans, and have had appraisals done by him as well. I felt pretty good about it once he got started, but that quickly just turned to a sigh as he asked me his first question with clipboard and pen in hand.

It wasn't John Haferbecker was it?? He appraised my car in 2008. I really need to get it looked at again after all the work I put into it

Lenny
06-19-2015, 11:54 AM
I hope you didn't pay him.

Timebender
06-19-2015, 01:04 PM

Maybe he was joking...

StanMan PushN 88
06-19-2015, 01:44 PM
Getting my first tank of gas just 30 minutes after buying the car recently (# 20034 with 7,200 miles on it)...A woman across the parking lot brought her 10 year old over and politely asked if they could take a picture with the car...sure thing...that's pretty cool. At my next stop for lunch...ran into a bunch of Army folks on patrol, and they wanted to get pictures too...making folks happy makes me happy...I haven't been stopped by the police or highway patrol yet though, has anyone else had that interesting experience with county mounties?

Stan

Timebender
06-19-2015, 02:04 PM
There's actually a thread for good DeLorean stories.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?566-GOOD-POSITIVE-DeLorean-stories

Just for future reference. :)

GS450-Junkie
06-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Maybe he was joking...

unfortunately he wasn't. As I stood next to the engine bay with the cover up he remarked, "I'm not sure what motor that is but every DeLorean I've ever appraised has had the 351 in it. That will cost you on your appraisal." I said it was the stock PRV and he just stared at me blankly.

refugeefromcalif
06-19-2015, 08:13 PM
"I'm not sure what motor that is but every DeLorean I've ever appraised has had the 351 in it. That will cost you on your appraisal."

He must have had specs for a Bricklin on his sheet. :smackbum:

George

Farrar
06-22-2015, 07:57 PM
I like the "what about yours" thing. Good idea. Now whenever someone tells me about how the car is slow or whatever piece of misinformation they can skip from the top of their brains, I'll say "Really? Which DeLorean did you drive?"

SIMid
06-23-2015, 08:27 PM
"oh, but it's an automatic" in a 'that's too bad' sort of way. I like that reply though... and you know they've never driven an automatic or manual themselves anyway.

The thing is though, you go up and down the line at any cruise night and look at what kind of transmission most of the cars are and it's an automatic. Primarily the muscle car era I'm thinking. Here'll be some huge engine '69 Camaro or Chevelle or something and of course it's an automatic. I wonder if those guys get the same comments? Yes, thank you for your input. I'm thrilled your Civic is a stick shift. You wild man, you.

I get this with friends when I bought my D all those years ago. And some that find out I have one also raise an eyebrow when you mention Automatic. Why did you not buy a manual? More so like if I couldn't buy a manual, then don't buy one at all mentality.

Er, because it was the best Delorean I could find and buy at the time? Even though I wanted a manual D, mine was too good not to pass up.

Even some of my fellow Aussie Delorean owners (not naming names) also laughed that mine was an Auto when I met them. I'm like, "WTF?" It's like I bought the wrong Delorean.
Then you take a few for a drive and they are actually surprised how well it goes. When you pull up next to a manual D and they realise that she is no slouch off the line.

Not planning to do track work or hill climbs in it. I wanted it as a cruiser and extremely happy with my decision.

But you are right, most classic muscle cars are Autos and they don't get a flogging for their choice of transmission.

mr_maxime
06-24-2015, 09:03 PM
The "what about yours?" idea actuality came from a coworker. I brought up how some people say non stock Deloreans are ruined and he said "who cares!? It's your car you can do whatever you want with it. They probably don't even own one."

Also my sisters mechanic friend called the Delorean a "hunk of junk Chrysler" then "corrected" himself and called it a "hunk of junk gm"...

Alan
06-25-2015, 08:48 AM
I was out at dinner with my sister and brother in law. They hadn't seen the DeLorean yet and Colleen and I were excited to show them. They agreed to take a look but didn't really seem to want to. That was disappointing a bit but not the "stupid comment" part.

When we leave the restaurant and go to the car there's a very excited woman admiring it. After she's gone my sister goes on to tell me how she knows what that's like. People are ALWAYS coming up to her to talk to her about her Fiat.

The Fiat is a cute, fun to drive car. I really don't think my sister knows the first thing about peoples' reactions to a DeLorean, though.

JohnZ
06-25-2015, 10:16 AM
The other day, a boy in his 18s sat in the car and told me "Man what a bad visibility! how can you see the road and the cars outside??" ...I said: "It's just matter of having good glasses!" :cool1:

:headbang:

Alan
06-25-2015, 01:50 PM
The visibility is a LOT better than I was expecting. It's certainly not great but based on how bad it's reputed to be both my wife and I thought it was very acceptable.

robvanderveer
06-25-2015, 02:01 PM
The visibility is a LOT better than I was expecting. It's certainly not great but based on how bad it's reputed to be both my wife and I thought it was very acceptable.

Do you have the convex mirrors or the original flat ones? The convex ones drastically improve side and rear vision.

Timebender
06-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Today getting an oil change - I have a Chevy 350c so this was interesting:
Oil change guy: what's that back there, an LS1?
Me: nope, 350c
Him: oh, I usually see these with an ls1

mr_maxime
06-25-2015, 08:28 PM
When we leave the restaurant and go to the car there's a very excited woman admiring it. After she's gone my sister goes on to tell me how she knows what that's like. People are ALWAYS coming up to her to talk to her about her Fiat.

People are excited about fiats??

Alan
06-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Do you have the convex mirrors or the original flat ones? The convex ones drastically improve side and rear vision.
Just originals and I'm still pretty happy. I am thinking about the convex, though.

Alan
06-25-2015, 09:43 PM
People are excited about fiats??
Not my claim... ;)

BABIS
06-26-2015, 01:32 AM
the other day, a boy in his 18s sat in the car and told me "man what a bad visibility! How can you see the road and the cars outside??" ...i said: "it's just matter of having good glasses!" :cool1:

:headbang:

lol

Timebender
06-26-2015, 03:36 PM
Actually it's better than in my 2013 Beetle TDI. My right mirror currently is not working, so I have to do a lot of OTS to make sure the lane is clear to change lanes - something I do anyway in any car and not solely rely on the mirrors - or some 6th sense most drivers these days use as they're talking on their cell phone (illegal) while putting on makeup gazing into the rearview mirror..
Anyway I digress... so I was driving it really for the first time yesterday and was pleasantly surprised how much I could really see when turning to look to my left and behind me.

Alan
06-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Not really a stupid comment, actually kind of clever (or at least I'd never heard it). It was more my delayed response that might have been a bit stupid.

I've had my car under a week. I'm not aware of who even knows about it where I work yet. I hadn't driven it on the day this occurred so I wasn't thinking about it. A co-worker asks me if he needs to start calling me Calvin Klein. I have to admit that it took me a couple of seconds to catch the reference. We both got a little bit of a kick out of that.

Timebender
06-27-2015, 10:17 PM
That is clever.

Farrar
06-30-2015, 11:57 AM
I've had my car under a week.

I've had my car under a roof! *rimshot* :D

JohnZ
06-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Some times ago I was listening to some elderlies surrounding my Delorean (I never expose myself as the owner, unless the situation requires it... people touching or nice gals, for example :cool1: ).

They did a funny mash up like: "This is the car from that movie show... Herbie! You know, the talking car!"

:facepalm:

Timebender
06-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Some times ago I was listening to some elderlies surrounding my Delorean (I never expose myself as the owner, unless the situation requires it... people touching or nice gals, for example :cool1: ).

They did a funny mash up like: "This is the car from that movie show... Herbie! You know, the talking car!"

:facepalm:

Glad they didn't add in anything from Christine... " "This is the car from that movie show... Herbie! You know, the talking car that killed everyone!"

mr_maxime
06-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Got a friend that keeps telling me to put same sized wheels and tires on the back so I can rotate my tires...

aotmfilms
06-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Got a friend that keeps telling me to put same sized wheels and tires on the back so I can rotate my tires...

:thumbdown::screwy::headscratch: (words just can't describe this)

aotmfilms
06-30-2015, 11:02 PM
"Wrong color?".... according to who?

Funny how people figure YOUR car isn't RIGHT. Granted, a car that wasn't painted at all originally vs black is a bit of an odd example.

I love the people that go ape sh!t over the car and then right at the end toss in some jab about "oh, but it's an automatic" in a 'that's too bad' sort of way. I like that reply though... and you know they've never driven an automatic or manual themselves anyway.

I'd just tell them that you enjoy driving the car. That a stick would interfere with that. It could be that the BTTF D was a stick? (nothing against sticks) but after driving a stick vs. an auto, the pickup isn't too much different IMO and the D isn't a drag racer anyways. I felt like I had to concentrate more in a stick then an auto while driving but then again I could be biased since the one I am buying next week is an auto. I just found it more "funner" to enjoy an automatic over a manual D, to each his/her own, just me I guess.

--Doug

mr_maxime
07-01-2015, 08:00 AM
People do judge too harshly for that. My daily is auto and I like not thinking about shifting when I get stuck in traffic. My dad made the switch years ago due to that reason.

Jonathan
07-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Maybe it doesn't factor in with D prices, but in many new cars, the manual trans comes "standard" and the automatic trans is optional. And can be a $1,500 option on many cars. If you want to shut down someone with that irritating comment, you could always tell them I chose auto over manual because I could afford to. Not the nicest way to say it, but then again, neither is their original comment some of the time.

Farrar
07-01-2015, 11:12 AM
I always tell people that I have always lived in cities and if I had to manually-shift my way through rush hour, I would before long embody the concept of "road rage."

StainlessBullet
07-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Random guy: "That's a shame about DeLorean and how he died from a cocaine overdose."

Me: "He didn't die from an overdose."

Random guy: "Sadly he did. I lived next door to him when I lived in New Jersey. Real nice guy. Too bad about his addictions though. Coke is a heck of a drug."

I was done with the conversation at that point.

Farrar
07-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Random guy got his facts wrong AND quoted Rick James wrong.

That's even worse than my math! LOL

SoCalDMC12
07-05-2015, 03:10 PM
So, I've had two people tell me that they have "a friend" who ones one or more of the BTTF cars. Anyone else have this experience?

DMC5180
07-05-2015, 03:14 PM
There are several replica owners in your region. So it's possible.

SoCalDMC12
07-05-2015, 04:05 PM
There are several replica owners in your region. So it's possible.

Actually, both people who said this were from back east. And both said that their respective friends had screen-used BTTF cars.

DMC5180
07-05-2015, 04:14 PM
I see, just BS!

SoCalDMC12
07-05-2015, 04:21 PM
I see, did these two individuals have the same friend?

Nope. The first time someone said this, I was doubtful, but figured it was plausible. The second time... well, how many BTTF DMC's were made, and what are the chances that two "friends-of-friends" who don't know each other, and are outside of the hollywood community could own one.

I think my friends truly believe that their friends own BTTF D's, but I'm guessing that one or both of those owners are taking "liberties" with the provenance of their cars.

martydmc12
07-05-2015, 08:13 PM
So, I've had two people tell me that they have "a friend" who ones one or more of the BTTF cars. Anyone else have this experience?

When I hear this, or people tell me "they know someone" who has an actual screen-used DeLorean, it just infuriates me. These types of comments are just as bad as cocaine jokes, or someone telling us "owners" about the Ford engines in our cars.

The only screen-used DeLorean in private hands, is Bill Shea, who owns the BTTF3 DeLorean. The other surviving screen-used BTTF DeLorean is at Universal Studios Hollywood, under glass at their NBC Universal Experience on the lower lot.

The BTTF3 DeLorean website has a good write-up about the cars and "Where Are They Now".

http://bttf3delorean.com/Where_are_they.html

If anyone tells me that they themselves, or they know someone that owns a screen-used BTTF DeLorean, I usually tell them they must have paid half a million for it. That's close to what Bill paid for it at auction after Desi DosSantos restored it. And when Universal had the "A" car appraised for insurance after it's restoration, it came in close to three quarters of a million.

Stainless
07-06-2015, 01:33 PM
I was asked to bring my DeLorean to a "Back to the Future" themed biking event at Antelope Island State Park last week. Bike riders had the opportunity to have their picture taken next to the car. I overheard a lady ask her husband as they were walking away, "Do you think it runs?" Did she think that I towed it there? The car clearly got there under its own power.

StainlessBullet
07-06-2015, 01:41 PM
I had a lady come up to me yesterday and ask if my car was a Viper. I said no, it's a DeLorean. She just looked stunned and said "Is that a type of Viper?" :huh:

Lenny
07-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Some people don't think it is a real car. They think it is a movie prop.

I was asked to bring my DeLorean to a "Back to the Future" themed biking event at Antelope Island State Park last week. Bike riders had the opportunity to have their picture taken next to the car. I overheard a lady ask her husband as they were walking away, "Do you think it runs?" Did she think that I towed it there? The car clearly got there under its own power.

DMC5180
07-06-2015, 03:26 PM
I went thru a Wendy's drive-up once and the girl at the window asked me if I built the car. She thought it was a kit car.

davidc89
07-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Unfortunately, I get asked if it is a "kit car" as well. They then tell me that someone makes a kit for them and most DeLoreans we see are kit cars.

Timebender
07-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Actually, both people who said this were from back east. And both said that their respective friends had screen-used BTTF cars.
I just had a co-worker say the same thing as his brother, who owns a car detail business in Beverly Hills, tell him (with pics) that they have in storage and recently had at a car show THE VERY FIRST and ONLY BTTF DeLorean that was in the movies...

I showed him online the one at Universal and the history of the rebuild the guys did.

"Yeah, but my brother said they had the movie used one their stored with other celebrities cars..."

Okay.

Timebender
07-07-2015, 06:37 PM
My recent favorite, as I've been getting things like relays and stuff from the local car parts places..

"What's the car?"

A DeLorean

"Who makes it?"

Uh, DeLorean.

"No, I mean, who made it - Ford, Chevy? Who MADE it...?"

Ugh...

D LOR E AN

"Never heard of that before. Are you sure it's not something like a Chrysler?"

(this would make a GREAT comic strip btw..)

mr_maxime
07-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Lol I actually like when that happens.

Timebender
07-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Me too kinda.

Alan
07-08-2015, 08:11 PM
I haven't had that yet, just to plethora of BTTF jokes and a couple coke jokes. The BTTF don't really bother me. The coke ones do. I'd be curious how I'd react to this.

refugeefromcalif
07-08-2015, 08:35 PM
I've found that when I'm asked, "Who made your car." Telling them DeLorean Motor Cars stops the Ford, Chevy replies. (Most times)...
I then get asked, "What car company was that?"
It either takes a long time to explain or they don't care. (Or don't know about the BTTF reference).

George

Timebender
07-09-2015, 12:40 PM
I was recently at a breakfast with a couple thousand men for our church, called the Big Man's Breakfast, which we have at an air museum at a local small airport, so lots of cool vintage planes and they have some cool sports cars too. I had my DeLorean with the doors open near one of the planes, and overall everyone was digging it. Of course there's the one guy who HAD to climb in without asking, as I was nearby, as he has a lot of money, thus his sense of respect for others was not so great - but that's okay as we need guys of all levels in their walk.
What got me though was one guy who had to make the cocaine joke, which was not all that funny even in the least (none are but this was just bad), and referenced JZD in the joke of course.
I could've corrected him, but didn't want to make him look stupid in front of the other guys, especially the part about JZD becoming Christian while in jail.

aotmfilms
07-09-2015, 12:41 PM
My recent favorite, as I've been getting things like relays and stuff from the local car parts places..

"What's the car?"

A DeLorean

"Who makes it?"

Uh, DeLorean.

"No, I mean, who made it - Ford, Chevy? Who MADE it...?"

Ugh...

D LOR E AN

"Never heard of that before. Are you sure it's not something like a Chrysler?"

(this would make a GREAT comic strip btw..)

I'd be like, (Humor them like I did with my Grandma) "yea, you GOT me!! its a Chrysler....":screwy: then get my parts and leave.

ssdelorean
07-12-2015, 02:22 PM
A mother and her young son ahead of me at the store walk out the door after paying. I hear screams. Nothing bad they are just overly excited to see a DeLorean parked beside them. After exchanging a few words and opening the door so the boy could see the mom says:

"you know, comic-con is going on now. You could just drive that around there and people would throw money at you"

Yeah, I'm not too sure that's what goes on there. Maybe a stripper would get money thrown at her but not a car upon seeing it :-)

Mark D
07-13-2015, 05:01 PM
Yesterday I had my car parked at the end of my driveway while I was cleaning out a few things in the garage. I rarely let it sit outside and usually not that close to the road because I don't really like to advertise where it's kept. But anyway, I was surprised by how many people would comment as they drove past or walked by. One middle aged lady walking by with a group of friends flagged me over and the conversation went like this:

Lady: Hey, we are just admiring your DeLorean.

Me: Thanks, I try to take good care of it.

Lady: Does it drive?

Me: Well, it's in my driveway.

Lady: (pauses) Oh...right. I just didn't see a license plate on the front so I didn't think it was running.

Me: I see, yeah it has a license plate at the rear, I just don't like how they look on the front of the car.

Lady: OK thanks! (walks away)

I kind of felt like a jerk afterwards because I was a little blunt with my reply to her question but i was kind of rude on her part to assume that it was inoperable. I said what I said in a joking manner...
Do you think I an asshole with how I handled the conversation? I try to be as positive and polite as I can when talking with people about the car, but for some reason this lady bothered me.

Side note, I actually had someone ask me the same question once at a gas station. I mean... how could the car have possible gotten there unless under its own power?

DavidProehl
07-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Side note, I actually had someone ask me the same question once at a gas station. I mean... how could the car have possible gotten there unless under its own power?

I get this question a few times a year. I've had it when washing the car outside (as though I'm more concerned with it being clean than running) and while at car shows. I'd understand it a little more if I had a rough looking car, but while it isn't perfect it certainly doesn't look neglected!

Perhaps when I get this question I should hand them the below photo and say "One of these DeLoreans runs, one does not. Can you tell which is the one you are looking at today?"

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=35398&stc=1

Except I'm generally too nice of a guy to actually do that.

Stainless
07-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Perhaps when I get this question I should hand them the below photo and say "One of these DeLoreans runs, one does not. Can you tell which is the one you are looking at today?"

What's the story of the non-running car in your picture? Local car that has been neglected?

DavidProehl
07-13-2015, 06:08 PM
What's the story of the non-running car in your picture? Local car that has been neglected?

Yes, it sits rotting outside in all types of weather with no driver's side window about 15 miles from where I live.

The story as I understand it from the owner is that he bought it in the early 90s (or as an original owner, story changed between two different conversations with him) and he lent it out to his son's friend who accidentally broke the window. He tells me all it needs are door struts and a new fuel pump and it will be good to go and that all parts are currently available from a place in Ohio (I assume he meant KPAC). It is pretty obvious though that the car hasn't run for years. Everything is so beat up only the body panels seem worth saving. Parked on grass and sitting in the sun for years hasn't done it any favors. The owner said his son was going to fix it up after he came back from his military deployment...but that was the story 2 years ago and it still sits there. The above photo is from 2013, it doesn't look as good today.

At the time he was willing to sell for $10k.

mr_maxime
07-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Told a friend I had a delorean and he just laughed thinking I was joking, then he asked "wait, that's an actual car?" lol he thought it was only in the BTTF

Mario
07-14-2015, 05:13 AM
Do you think I an asshole with how I handled the conversation? I try to be as positive and polite as I can when talking with people about the car, but for some reason this lady bothered me.

Not really any way to know without knowing your tone of voice... but it sounds like you could have worded it a bit more kindly.
As annoying as it must be to get these questions all the time (though I don't know how it feels, I don't have my DeLorean yet), you have to realize that these people are just trying to start up a conversation. What do non-car people say when they want to show you they're interested in your vehicle, especially if they don't actually know anything about that particular car? They're just excited to see a DeLorean, but they don't know of any DeLorean-specific things to ask you about. I don't think people mean it rudely when they ask if it runs, it's just the only car-related question they can think to ask.

Also, a car sitting in a driveway is not a reasonable indication that it runs. I've seen plenty of people with non-functional cars just doing nothing in their driveway. Or maybe you had pushed it out of the garage because you were working in there - who knows.

StainlessBullet
07-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Had a girl come up to me last night and say "That can not be street legal! It's way too small!"

Hmm, I know of many other cars that are a lot smaller than a D'. Yes it's low to the ground, but the thing is a pretty wide and long car.

Timebender
07-14-2015, 03:24 PM
A mother and her young son ahead of me at the store walk out the door after paying. I hear screams. Nothing bad they are just overly excited to see a DeLorean parked beside them. After exchanging a few words and opening the door so the boy could see the mom says:

"you know, comic-con is going on now. You could just drive that around there and people would throw money at you"

Yeah, I'm not too sure that's what goes on there. Maybe a stripper would get money thrown at her but not a car upon seeing it :-)

I considered driving mine around CC during the weekend, but thought not as traffic is pretty crazy. Had I had BTTF DeLorean, then people would be geeking out about it, but not throwing money at me. I brought R2 on Saturday and that's enough attention for at least a few months, though I really never get tired of it.

My son and I in the local San Diego newspaper:

http://www.discoversd.com/news/2015/jul/11/r2d2-star-wars-comic-con/?comic-con

Timebender
07-14-2015, 03:33 PM

Me: Well, it's in my driveway.

I kind of felt like a jerk afterwards because I was a little blunt with my reply to her question but i was kind of rude on her part to assume that it was inoperable. I said what I said in a joking manner...

Maybe, maybe not, depending on your tone and how you said it, as even jokingly we can come across kind of jerky. My answer to this question always is:
Nope, but you should see how well it flies!

07-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Had a cop pull me over, and ask if I had it painted. I feel safe with this guy on duty, thanks Barney Fife

Justin51982
07-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Yesterday, when talking to someone about what's wrong with my clutch I get this interjection.

Him: Ask Doc Brown. It could be the Flux Capacitor. Lol jk.

Me: If I had a nickel...

Him: It comes with the territory of owning a DeLorean. Haha. I couldn't resist.

Normally I don't care...Just wasn't in the mood yesterday.

TxGlenn
07-25-2015, 08:11 AM
Yesterday, when talking to someone about what's wrong with my clutch I get this interjection.

Him: Ask Doc Brown. It could be the Flux Capacitor. Lol jk.

Me: If I had a nickel...

Him: It comes with the territory of owning a DeLorean. Haha. I couldn't resist.

Sometimes I just sit there for a minute in deep concentration like I'm seriously considering that could be the problem. No smiling...just thinking...then say "I doubt that's it."

Jonathan
07-27-2015, 05:05 PM

Yea, just wasn't in the mood was about it for me today.

I had this happen again...

I tried to remain civil even after he parked right in front of the house and comes marching up the driveway and right into the garage... but when I told him to leave he mutters "what a dick" under his breath. Somehow I came out as the dick in that.

Gee, you just stroll right into another man's garage like you own the place and don't expect someone to occasionally get irritated by it? My car is up on ramps too at the moment and like I need some clusterf%$k accident happening because of that guy. Is there no respect for people's property and privacy anymore, or do we just ignore that sort of thing nowadays?

jwrayth
07-28-2015, 11:29 AM
I was on a road-trip two weekends ago down to Bristol for my fathers wedding. Wife and I took the DeLorean since I figured if you are going to do a 900 mile round trip, why not have some fun and take the back-roads and enjoy my recent hard-work on the car.

The place we were staying had a private garage for parking up the car, the only problem being we needed to collect the keys first before I could bring the car in and there was no place for me to park near the apartment. So I drove up the road a bit and parked in a "residents only" bay temporarily with my hazards on, knowing that my wife would call me in 5-10 minutes once she had the keys and I could park up.

Whilst I'm waiting a chap knocks on my passenger door gesticulating something I can't understand. I figure I'm parked in his spot or something and wants me to move. My passenger side window switch connector is melted so I can't use the tollbooth window reliably, so I pop open the door to apologise and say I'll move, but before I can barely finish the first word he jumps in my car before I've barely started to talk!

I get particularly sweary with him about it and he looks at me first like I've offended him, but momentarily considers the situation and apologises for being a total bell-end.

Jonathan
08-30-2015, 11:26 AM
"So, I gotta ask, did yours come with snow tires?"

<laughs at his own joke>

I could have filled a Comment Bingo card from just this guy alone.

JohnZ
08-30-2015, 03:36 PM
This afternoon I played in a gig, and while I was going in the parking lot where my car was parked (carrying the instruments back to the car after the concert) I heard two people talking about the Delorean. So I slowed down and I could hear the man going like "Stainless steel... *profanity* ... this must run with buckets of fuel... *laughs... profanity*... where the f*ck can you go with a thing like this... *profanity... laughs*" while the other man laughed with satisfactions to his lecture.

Then I came in and opened the door to load the stuff into the car and the men went like "... err... but it's a beautiful car! Man what a unique car you have!" and things like that, in order to fix the situation. I looked at them and said "Yes, but where the f*ck can you go with a thing like this??"

:D

The man slowly disappeared into the night.

:wink:

SS Spoiler
08-30-2015, 04:37 PM
good one

refugeefromcalif
08-30-2015, 05:24 PM
Nice reply!
At the last car show I was at, I went for some water and when I came back there was a small crowd around my car.
I kind of hung back too hear what was being said. Like you, I heard a few negative comments, (until they discovered that it was my car). Amazing how their comments changed towards Positive...

George

Timebender
08-31-2015, 12:50 AM
We have a weekly car show in El Cajon, and the last time (and it was the first time as well) when I was by the car I got a lot of good comments and questions- nothing bad or stupid cocaine jokes. So then I decided to sit way back as that's where the shade was, next to the guy who had the 67 Stingray, and we watched as more people came up to the car, making comments to each other, people pointing at the mid-70's Corvette engine, etc. I think next time I do that I'm going to film it and then add in a voice track of what they're "really" saying.

jamesrguk
08-31-2015, 09:13 AM
I work in wine and have some contacts at the local Bentley showroom who occasionally ask me to come in and serve/talk with customers about Champagne when they're launching a new car and have invited their top clients for a preview evening.

You get some *interesting* people at these events, as you would expect when the car the open night is for has a sticker price in excess of £250'000.
I was there about 6-months ago for the launch of the Bentley GT Speed, with champagne aplenty and phasers set to maximum schmooze

Anyway one chap I have seen at a couple of events, nice bloke always brings his son or a nephew or friend of the family to these open nights gets photos of the sitting in the cars, really nice down to earth chap who hasn't lost site of the fact that these cars are unattainable pipe dreams for most folks.

Anyway I'm topping his glass with champagne and naturally asked him about his car collection which was extensive and impressive, but I never felt he was bragging. Then and he said what do you drive and I said a DeLorean, expecting all the usual BS, anyway much to my surprise, that was it, no chance of selling him a Bentley that evening.

He loved it, came out of the showroom across to the car park where it was, and despite it being a little dirty, I'd been driving to work all week, he was fascinated, quite knowledgeable about JZD and his work at GM etc... he didn't make a single BTTF reference, critique any of the cars shortcomings and thanked me for showing him around.

It was so refreshing to meet someone like that for a change.

J

Hokie
08-31-2015, 01:44 PM
I work in wine and have some contacts at the local Bentley showroom who occasionally ask me to come in and serve/talk with customers about Champagne when they're launching a new car and have invited their top clients for a preview evening.

You get some *interesting* people at these events, as you would expect when the car the open night is for has a sticker price in excess of £250'000.
I was there about 6-months ago for the launch of the Bentley GT Speed, with champagne aplenty and phasers set to maximum schmooze

Anyway one chap I have seen at a couple of events, nice bloke always brings his son or a nephew or friend of the family to these open nights gets photos of the sitting in the cars, really nice down to earth chap who hasn't lost site of the fact that these cars are unattainable pipe dreams for most folks.

Anyway I'm topping his glass with champagne and naturally asked him about his car collection which was extensive and impressive, but I never felt he was bragging. Then and he said what do you drive and I said a DeLorean, expecting all the usual BS, anyway much to my surprise, that was it, no chance of selling him a Bentley that evening.

He loved it, came out of the showroom across to the car park where it was, and despite it being a little dirty, I'd been driving to work all week, he was fascinated, quite knowledgeable about JZD and his work at GM etc... he didn't make a single BTTF reference, critique any of the cars shortcomings and thanked me for showing him around.

It was so refreshing to meet someone like that for a change.

J

Wow! I think an encounter like that would bring a tear to my eye.

mr_maxime
08-31-2015, 07:10 PM
I had the car sitting at work for a while and one of the electricians working on the building asked "so where's the particle accelerator?" and I replied "you mean the flux capacitor?" Lol nice guy though, he seemed rather in awe with the car when I first brought it in.

Hokie
09-05-2015, 01:02 PM
At today's Cars & Coffee, "if it weren't for the movie nobody would like that car."

Timebender
09-05-2015, 06:23 PM
At the car show the other night (note that I have a 350 sbc) "that's the engine they should have put in, in the first place!"

DMC5180
09-05-2015, 06:26 PM
350 sbc. What's that?

Never mind. Small block chevy

SKnight
09-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Guy: "How much you wanna sell that thing for?"
Me: Pretends to laugh at lame joke
Guy: "Guess it isn't for sale then." Drives off

RamblinDMC
09-13-2015, 09:29 PM
At an antique shop buying an older DeLorean magazine clipping.

Me: "Can't believe I found this, I actually just bought a DeLorean."
Clerk: "Neat! What color did you get?"
Me: "Um, stainless steel, they were all unpainted."
Clerk: "Oh hmm."

Weird...

mr_maxime
09-14-2015, 07:37 PM
When people see or hear that I have a black delorean, they often ask about the "original silver" color.

DMCVegas
09-15-2015, 06:40 PM
At an antique shop buying an older DeLorean magazine clipping.

Me: "Can't believe I found this, I actually just bought a DeLorean."
Clerk: "Neat! What color did you get?"
Me: "Um, stainless steel, they were all unpainted."
Clerk: "Oh hmm."

Weird...

That just reminded me of a situation where I stopped by a used book store. Adorned in a floral mumu by a pile of Harlequin novels at the cash register, this bearded woman in a what seemed to be permanently ill-mood scoffed at me waved her pudgy hand in the air when I asked where their automotive section was.

Turned out they actually had a copy of Dream Maker on the shelf, on display!

Excited I grabbed the book and went right back to the cash register to buy it. She seemed to be in an even worse mood by this time. You'd think that a sale would have made her happy, but she seemed even more irritated that I made her *work* by using the cash register.

StainlessBullet
09-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Went to grab a bite to eat the other day. As I'm walking back to the car I noticed about 4 or 5 college age kids standing next to it and taking pictures. I'm in a good mood so I decide to walk up and let them take a look at the inside and answer all the typical questions. All went fine until one of the kids said "You know it's a good thing this car was in the movie Back to the Future. The car was complete junk and without that movie nobody would have even bought one. You probably wouldn't even had the chance to buy it because it would have been scrapped a long time ago."

Needless to say I was no longer feeling in the mood to continue showing them the car.

OverlandMan
09-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Went to grab a bite to eat the other day. As I'm walking back to the car I noticed about 4 or 5 college age kids standing next to it and taking pictures. I'm in a good mood so I decide to walk up and let them take a look at the inside and answer all the typical questions. All went fine until one of the kids said "You know it's a good thing this car was in the movie Back to the Future. The car was complete junk and without that movie nobody would have even bought one. You probably wouldn't even had the chance to buy it because it would have been scrapped a long time ago."

Needless to say I was no longer feeling in the mood to continue showing them the car.

Man that's irritating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVrEwCa8nSA

88KPH
09-26-2015, 12:19 AM
Walking back to the D after popping into that fine bit of American culture, Mcdonalds. (You can-not do drive-through in a LHD Delorean!!)
Spot a young couple looking at car, as I get nearer, guy drags his girl away stating........"He must be a right arsehole to own a car like that!" :bawling:

bytes311
10-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Pulled into a gas station to refuel and was approached by a younger (maybe 25+) guy with a muscle car. He nonchalantly pulls out a stack of bills (supposedly 20 grand) and offers it to me. He then proceeds to ask if my car had always been painted silver.

aotmfilms
10-16-2015, 04:03 PM
I always get asked "Does it run?" When the person asking the question just saw me pull up in the car. :bash:

mr_maxime
10-16-2015, 05:53 PM
My favorite is "what motor has it got in it?" And my response is always a variation "the original that all delorans come with"

Mario
10-16-2015, 07:14 PM
I think that's a valid question... you can't expect everybody to just know what engine a DeLorean came with. :confused0: Just say a 2.8L V6.

Citizen
10-16-2015, 07:20 PM
I always get asked "Does it run?" When the person asking the question just saw me pull up in the car. :bash:

At a gas station filling up; "Does it run?"

"Nah, it hasn't run in years. It just takes more and more gas. I don't know why I even keep this d*mn thing!". "How about yours...does it run?"

Lenny
10-16-2015, 07:45 PM
I got my car washed today and one of the guys started talking about how it's one of the heaviest cars ever made. I explained about the fiberglass tub and it weighs the same as a 1981 Porsche.

Then he asked about the engine, instead of telling me what was in it, I did my standard explanation, PRV stands for Peugeot, Renault and Volvo, they developed it to save money. 2.8 L etc, etc.

martydmc12
10-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Driving home from a late lunch, I caught the tail end of the DJ on the radio talking about how "he was entrapped by the FBI and his neighbor, and that this DeLorean guy was still around." That's I all heard. I immediately drove into the nearest parking lot and called the station. I got the DJ, and told him that I only caught the end of his story about DeLorean, but called to correct him that JZD had actually passed away ten years ago. He didn't quite believe me, as he was reading Wikipedia. He eventually found something on the internet, and said I was correct.

He continued to go on about how the car was overweight, underpowered, etc., etc. I tried to give him the truth, but he just wasn't having it. I don't think my conversation ended up on the air, which I don't really care about, it's just the sheer oversight of incorrect information that people like him put out there over the airwaves.

mr_maxime
10-18-2015, 11:58 PM
I think that's a valid question... you can't expect everybody to just know what engine a DeLorean came with. :confused0: Just say a 2.8L V6.

I guess it's cause it seems like they're implying there were options. I guess I just get bothered because I assume they're trying to confirm their misinformation about the engine it has. I make up for it, though, by politely correcting everyone who makes a statement about JZD's cocaine "addiction". I also feel like I'm butchering Peugeot every time I say it lol, so I try not to as much as I can.

Nicholas R
10-19-2015, 04:59 AM
I got my car washed today and one of the guys started talking about how it's one of the heaviest cars ever made. I explained about the fiberglass tub and it weighs the same as a 1981 Porsche.

I have to be honest; this more than anything else, continues to baffle me. The stuff about "what motor does it have," "blah blah blah cocaine," "is it a new or an original," etc. I get; all of that has some type of historical basis or misunderstanding. But the idea that they weigh so much??

Every time I have someone bring this up, I ask them why they think so, and they always say, "because it's all stainless steel." And??? Yeah, it's stainless steel; it's not lead! Putting aside the fact that in reality the stainless steel on our cars is mostly cosmetic and the car is actually mostly fiberglass, do people really think stainless steel is massively heavier than carbon steel?? Stainless steel and carbon steel have almost the exact same density. What do you think the panels of [nearly] every other car on the road are made of? Steel of course! The only thing I can think is that when you look at a Camry or Civic, and see painted fenders, you just see paint and don't immediately think "steel/metal/heavy." However, it must be that when people see a DeLorean and see the bare metal, they are reminded that the car is made of [stainless] steel, steel and metal is heavy, therefore the car is heavy.

I've gotten to the point where I've for the most part given up on correcting and educating the public, except with this one thing...

FABombjoy
10-19-2015, 09:42 AM
After the look of surprise when correcting the weight I usually say, "What, did you think they were milled from a solid block of stainless?"

DMCVegas
10-19-2015, 11:09 AM
I have to be honest; this more than anything else, continues to baffle me. The stuff about "what motor does it have," "blah blah blah cocaine," "is it a new or an original," etc. I get; all of that has some type of historical basis or misunderstanding. But the idea that they weigh so much??

I remember this kid in high school named Jeremy. I said to him one day in a crowd of people, "Hey! Where's my twenty dollars!" Of course his response was that he didn't owe me $20, and truthfully he was right. I knew him and another kid like him. Not even seniors yet, and degenerate gamblers owing money to people whom they kept making bets with. But I kept on doing this. Every morning when I saw him, I'd say the same thing, "Hey, Jeremy! Where's my twenty bucks at!" Followed with the occasional, "When are you going to pay me?!" You know something? 4 months later, this guy started apologizing to me that he didn't have it yet, and eventually avoided me all together.

People are funny. If you repeat something over and over again, and do it enough times, they will automaticly beleive you. Hell, you can say something to someone that they know for a FACT goes against what they know to be true. But if you say it with enough confidence, you can intimidate someone into self-doubt. It's amazing, but it makes sense, you know? After all, why would you say something like that unless it was true? People can't fathom that others could be wrong, or even lie.

Why does everyone think the DeLorean is heavy, because people keep on saying it is.

Jonathan
10-19-2015, 12:18 PM
I've had the same heavy car comments as Nick mentioned. At a cruise night a few years ago, some guy walks by telling his girlfriend "it's the heaviest car ever made." Uh-huh. Like even heavier than my 2009 Pontiac that's 4,000 lbs. Or than some land yacht Lincoln or Rolls Royce.

That idea about when repeated enough times, especially with more and more confidence as it's said, is seen in a lot of subjects where we no longer need or have experts. Everyone has become an expert apparently.

Thought you were talking about religion there for a minute Robert...

mr_maxime
10-19-2015, 01:21 PM
My coworker in Wisconsin had a 72 thunderbird and we parked next to each other all of the time. I'd always make comments about how ridiculous it is that people think those 2 cars weigh the same.

DMCVegas
10-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Thought you were talking about religion there for a minute Robert...

Nope, 'cause that's not allowed...

http://reactiongif.org/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/09/Not-bad-GIF.gif

Lenny
10-19-2015, 03:19 PM
I went to Kinko's and they printed out the DeLorean Club of Ohio "DeLorean Facts" PDF on stiff sign board and put it on the Passenger Seat. A lot of people read it and it answers most of the questions. Also if someone gets obnoxious, I point to the one item they are taking about I guess everyone else in the world is wrong but you. i.e. Aluminum not Stainless, Cocaine Arrest,

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/docs/DMC_FAQ-18x26_app.pdf

DMCVegas
10-19-2015, 05:14 PM
I went to Kinko's and they printed out the DeLorean Club of Ohio "DeLorean Facts" PDF on stiff sign board and put it on the Passenger Seat. A lot of people read it and it answers most of the questions. Also if someone gets obnoxious, I point to the one item they are taking about I guess everyone else in the world is wrong but you. i.e. Aluminum not Stainless, Cocaine Arrest,

http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/docs/DMC_FAQ-18x26_app.pdf

Nice!

Fact number one should probably be, "Chances are since I own one, I know more than you about the car! Please don't try and educate me."

SIMid
10-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Someone asked me over the weekend if it had a V12. Also that same afternoon, someone thought the car was from the 60s and another know-it-all was saying to his mate JZD was jailed for years for heroin. :cry:

ccurzio
10-22-2015, 09:47 AM
Had a guy last night checking out my car, telling his SO that JZD was "locked up for running cocaine in his cars."

MML
10-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Had a guy last night checking out my car, telling his SO that JZD was "locked up for running cocaine in his cars."

Yeah, didn't you know?? They used to stash it in the doors at the factory!

mr_maxime
10-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Some guy said that he started a car company to fund his cocaine addiction. I know of someone selling their car for cocaine money, but that's still really farfetched.

Nicholas R
10-22-2015, 11:52 PM
I always get the "have you found cocaine in your car" questions. Would 35 year old cocaine even have any value? I'm not really sure what the shelf life is of cocaine, haha.

sdg3205
10-23-2015, 03:16 AM
Would 35 year old cocaine even have any value? I'm not really sure what the shelf life is of cocaine, haha.

There's really only one way to find out.

novadmc
10-23-2015, 03:47 AM
There's really only one way to find out.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/L4TYWQn8rALRu/200_s.gif

refugeefromcalif
11-03-2015, 05:33 PM
I went to Subway for lunch today. The last two guys in line started asking me about the car, and how fast I'd ever had it up to. I told them almost 85.
One tells me it's a shame that the car won't go faster then 87 MPH. I let him know that's not true, that they will do over 100 no problem.
He precedes to tell me I'm wrong, he heard that's why the BTTF movies used 88 MPH for the time travel speed, as an Inside joke, because the cars couldn't actually go that fast.

George

Justin51982
11-03-2015, 05:47 PM
I went to Subway for lunch today. The last two guys in line started asking me about the car, and how fast I'd ever had it up to. I told them almost 85.
One tells me it's a shame that the car won't go faster then 87 MPH. I let him know that's not true, that they will do over 100 no problem.
He precedes to tell me I'm wrong, he heard that's why the BTTF movies used 88 MPH for the time travel speed, as an Inside joke, because the cars couldn't actually go that fast.

George

I love when people think they know more than the owner.

Some guy
11-03-2015, 06:17 PM
I had my car in front of my house on Halloween night. Had a sign that said weather equipment. A little homage to the movies. People loved it, and took lots of pictures. It was all positive.

Then like always, there is one guy who sits on the fender. So i tell him to not sit on my car. He looks at me and goes sorry.

Like you are not sorry, you are an A$$ who is sitting on someones car.

Michael
11-03-2015, 06:32 PM

George

Next time that happens pull out a Benjamin and say " lets take a ride together, this is yours if I'm wrong, but for every mile over 90 I go you owe me 10 bucks"

That usually shuts them up or makes them back peddle.

David_NYS
11-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Next time that happens pull out a Benjamin and say " lets take a ride together, this is yours if I'm wrong, but for every mile over 90 I go you owe me 10 bucks"

That usually shuts them up or makes them back peddle.

Oh damn! I really really like that!!!!

Timebender
11-12-2015, 12:55 PM
I was at the El Cajon Classic Cruise night just before Halloween, dressed as Doc, and a woman comes up to me and says "Did you know they shipped these from the factory with the tires loaded with cocaine?"
Ohhhh-kaaaayyy... I was dumbfounded and all I could come up with was "Really. That's interesting." I would have corrected her but was being bombarded by trick-or-treaters (it was trunk or treat night) and dozens of photo requests.

vps3922
11-12-2015, 01:22 PM
I overheard a guy passing by with his girlfriend/wife during a TechSession in my friend Dave's (sdg3205) garage:

Him, after both saw my car with the doors open: "Yes, that's the car (timemachine from BTTF), and later they decided to make a real car out of it."

I had to facepalm myself.

sdg3205
11-12-2015, 01:25 PM
I overheard a guy passing by with his girlfriend/wife during a TechSession in my friend Dave's (sdg3205) garage:

Him, after both saw my car with the doors open: "Yes, that's the car (timemachine from BTTF), and later they decided to make a real car out of it."

I missed that!

Sometimes I think guys just make something up on the spot to try and impress their better halves.

88KPH
11-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Serious statement......... "Wow, that paint job must of been expensive"

Jimmyvonviggle
11-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Serious statement......... "Wow, that paint job must of been expensive"

That is a great one.

Timebender
11-14-2015, 08:00 PM

Or "wow this is nice! Did you install the doors so it looks like the one from the movie?"

Lou and "Boo"
11-14-2015, 08:02 PM

They run on cocaine?!? That's why people are having stalling issues.. :p

11-15-2015, 11:53 AM
More Creepy than Stupid:

I was in line one morning getting coffee. Some guy comes up and puts his arm on my shoulder and says "You left your lights on.."

Umm, I have a battery kill switch so I know that's not true but I say "Oh, weird, which ones?" and he says the running lights are on. I said "Okay, thanks, good to know." Then (he still has his arm on my shoulder) "Yeah, I wouldn't want you to break down. Then I'd have to come to your apartment." with a creepy 'guess why' look on his face.. I look at him like he's a serial killer and then he says "because you don't know this but I live around the corner from you." I think I was still looking at him like he was a serial killer and the people in front and behind me in line looked at him like he was a serious weirdo (they didn't have the benefit of at least knowing why this guy recognized my car outside) and I just said "Yeah, I wouldn't want that" and luckily it was time to order and he took off.

To be fair, the guy probably didn't mean to be weird and it just came out awkward for a random man to be telling a seemingly random woman in line at sbux that he knows where she lives, at 7 am and him maniacally giggling but it was super creeper.

I have about equal number of weird comments like that versus shout outs (FUTURE! or DELOREAN!) and that many thumbs up which is the universal sign. I don't have the stupid comments too much but I actually would prefer those over the weird ones..

11-15-2015, 11:57 AM
Took the D to the local golf course. Dude walks up and says, "Hey man, welcome to the 70's!"

I'm glad this is on page 88, it just cracked me up. It might have been an old bf of mine that told me "hey, you can't fool a fool!"

JohnZ
11-15-2015, 01:38 PM
He was a serial weirdo.

Lou and "Boo"
11-15-2015, 01:39 PM
More Creepy than Stupid:

I was in line one morning getting coffee. Some guy comes up and puts his arm on my shoulder and says "You left your lights on.."

Umm, I have a battery kill switch so I know that's not true but I say "Oh, weird, which ones?" and he says the running lights are on. I said "Okay, thanks, good to know." Then (he still has his arm on my shoulder) "Yeah, I wouldn't want you to break down. Then I'd have to come to your apartment." with a creepy 'guess why' look on his face.. I look at him like he's a serial killer and then he says "because you don't know this but I live around the corner from you." I think I was still looking at him like he was a serial killer and the people in front and behind me in line looked at him like he was a serious weirdo (they didn't have the benefit of at least knowing why this guy recognized my car outside) and I just said "Yeah, I wouldn't want that" and luckily it was time to order and he took off.

To be fair, the guy probably didn't mean to be weird and it just came out awkward for a random man to be telling a seemingly random woman in line at sbux that he knows where she lives, at 7 am and him maniacally giggling but it was super creeper.

I have about equal number of weird comments like that versus shout outs (FUTURE! or DELOREAN!) and that many thumbs up which is the universal sign. I don't have the stupid comments too much but I actually would prefer those over the weird ones..

That IS creepy!
What kind of a pickup line was that?!

DMCVegas
11-15-2015, 03:12 PM
More Creepy than Stupid:...

I still say that if sleazy, rape-y guys like that knew what that shit felt like, they might just think twice about ever doing it in the first place.

Mario
11-26-2015, 03:08 AM
A DeLorean made it to the top of reddit today... as expected, misinformation ran rampant in the comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/3uagnh/mine_is_still_cooler/

"The stainless steel bodywork negated all preformance from the renault v6, it was way too heavy."

"The gull wing doors looked cool, but they were impractical and the gas shocks required constant replacement."

"DeLoreans outsold every model of Lamborghini, and Ferrari ever made. Hands down."

"You can get a 2016 dmc out of texas for around 35k I think"

davidc89
11-26-2015, 03:53 AM
I like the guy that says he works for DMC and drives different ones daily and they are all "shit." But he doesn't know who Stephen Wynne or James Epsey is? Sounds legit to me!

Delorean3610
11-27-2015, 05:36 PM
A DeLorean made it to the top of reddit today... as expected, misinformation ran rampant in the comments.

"The stainless steel bodywork negated all preformance from the renault v6, it was way too heavy."

"The gull wing doors looked cool, but they were impractical and the gas shocks required constant replacement."

"DeLoreans outsold every model of Lamborghini, and Ferrari ever made. Hands down."

That was my post on reddit

nullset
11-27-2015, 06:23 PM
That was my post on reddit

Looks like the downvote brigade is attacking you.

Say goodbye to your internet points!

mr_maxime
11-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Lol I'll side with the Delorean, being rich doesn't make you cool lol.

mr_maxime
11-28-2015, 06:14 PM
My favorite though is really people bringing up flipping the car. Ive seen plenty of rolled over cars and they aren't exactly easy to open. There's a reason why hydraulic rescue tools exist.

dustybarn
11-28-2015, 09:14 PM

Hmmmm... The "outselling every model of Lambo and Ferrari" part may actually be correct. Heck, in 3 model years they came very close to selling 20 years' worth of Lotus Esprits.

DMCVegas
12-30-2015, 10:42 AM
I don't even know what to make of this one, except that I take comfort now in knowing that ignorance of a marque is just limited to ours:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q593/DMCVegas/AintNoLotus2_zpsfsdidsbx.jpg

SKnight
01-11-2016, 12:46 AM
Had a guy ask me today if my car was real or fake. "Real" I quickly replied. "Oh nice, most of the ones I've seen have been fakes. It's hard to tell the fakes from the real ones." Where did this stupid idea that there are fake DeLoreans out there come from?

sdg3205
01-11-2016, 01:09 AM
Had a guy ask me today if my car was real or fake. "Real" I quickly replied. "Oh nice, most of the ones I've seen have been fakes. It's hard to tell the fakes from the real ones." Where did this stupid idea that there are fake DeLoreans out there come from?

I've heard of other people getting this, as have I. I don't know what they're thinking the alternative is... a kit car? Bricklin? Dunno.

SKnight
01-11-2016, 02:44 AM
I've heard of other people getting this, as have I. I don't know what they're thinking the alternative is... a kit car? Bricklin? Dunno.

Yeah a kit car was what popped in my mind first, although I'm not aware of any that resemble DeLoreans. It was definitely strange hearing that comment. Now I wish I could go back and ask what makes up a fake DeLorean. Probably would've been an interesting (or at least funny) answer.

davidc89
01-11-2016, 09:01 AM
I get that a lot too. My theories are that A ) people think these cars are worth more than they really are/more rare then they really are. Therefore the only way to have one is through a "kit." B ) they hear that they still make DeLoreans today and the "real" ones are the ones they made in Ireland.

Some guy
01-11-2016, 01:00 PM
I get that a lot too. My theories are that A ) people think these cars are worth more than they really are/more rare then they really are. Therefore the only way to have one is through a "kit." B ) they hear that they still make DeLoreans today and the "real" ones are the ones they made in Ireland.

I got this one a lot. Before i answered, i asked him"what is a fake Delorean?" He said "one of the reproduction ones made down in Texas."

When did fake and reproduction start being interchangeable?

davidc89
01-11-2016, 01:13 PM
My question is, how do they spot a "fake" one?

Timebender
01-11-2016, 02:02 PM
I often get the "Is that a kit?" question.

StainlessBullet
01-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Guy - "Man, I can't believe you're driving that thing on the road. That's gotta be dangerous!"

Me - "Huh?"

Guy - "Yeah, that thing won't even reach the speed limit! I bet my golf cart goes faster! Those are the slowest cars ever made."

DMC5180
01-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Guy - "Man, I can't believe you're driving that thing on the road. That's gotta be dangerous!"

Me - "Huh?"

Guy - "Yeah, that thing won't even reach the speed limit! I bet my golf cart goes faster! Those are the slowest cars ever made."

You should have taken that bet [emoji12]

Dennis

Gregadeth
02-21-2016, 04:51 AM
"Wow this is the first time I've seen a 2-door version of this car"
- guy at the gas station

Peripatetic
02-21-2016, 04:36 PM
"Wow this is the first time I've seen a 2-door version of this car"
- guy at the gas station

He has had a unique set of experiences to have only seen this one up to that point.

sdg3205
04-10-2016, 11:26 AM
On a "spring thaw" drive today with tons of nice cars. Kid with a Porsche 911 comes up to me and says "look at that shitty GM interior."

That's a first.

MML
04-10-2016, 09:09 PM
On a "spring thaw" drive today with tons of nice cars. Kid with a Porsche 911 comes up to me and says "look at that shitty GM interior."

That's a first.

I think the worst part is, he insults your car to your face!

FABombjoy
04-10-2016, 09:13 PM
I've met a few people that thought JZD got parts from the Fiero.

Them: "And this dashboard he got from the Fiero"
Me: "The Fiero came out 3 years after this car"
Them: "Oh, well it must have been out of a different GM car then"

sdg3205
04-10-2016, 10:37 PM
I think the worst part is, he insults your car to your face!

I know. When comments are that blatantly insulting I'm often at a loss for words trying to comprehend if I actually heard what just came out of another human beings mouth.

Timebender
04-11-2016, 12:33 AM
My favorite to date is, from a rather stoned woman no less, "you know they shipped all these with the tires loaded with cocaine."

Dangermouse
04-11-2016, 08:46 AM

That's a first.

He was clearly an aficionado Dave. You do have a grey manual car, don't you??

DMCVegas
04-11-2016, 09:39 AM
My favorite to date is, from a rather stoned woman no less, "you know they shipped all these with the tires loaded with cocaine."

I hate that crap too. While I've heard the cocaine jokes before, I've only ever had one person try and tell me that they shipped the cars with cocaine. It was my cousin's idiot ex-husband who claimed he saw it on the news. Asides from not liking him anyway, I grilled his ass in front of everyone about precisely how he knew this? After about 2-3 minutes I got him to admit he never saw any news report or any other proof. It went from "I remember watching it on the news!" to him sheepishly saying, "It was just something I heard once...".

Some people are outright idiots to be sure, but I still think that most are really just victims of bad information. If you take the time to correct them, it goes a long was to dispelling the rumors. So I think it's worth it to help clear the air.

DL4567
04-11-2016, 10:53 PM
Usually something like "since when is Ireland known for its cocaine production?" shuts them down pretty fast. It makes them think for a second that yeah, it doesn't make much sense. It's not like the cars were shipped from Colombia or something.

Moneypenny
04-13-2016, 06:59 PM

My brother bought 4115 from someone in California. This was something like 15 years ago. The vanity plates on the car when he bought it were "WYTLYNZ".

Flash forward to the present. I had originally thought it would be clever/funny to see about getting that same plate when I register the car in MN. However, the more I learn about the car, the history, and the community of owners, the more I realize that it's not as clever/funny as I thought.

sdg3205
04-13-2016, 10:29 PM
My brother bought 4115 from someone in California. This was something like 15 years ago. The vanity plates on the car when he bought it were "WYTLYNZ".

Flash forward to the present. I had originally thought it would be clever/funny to see about getting that same plate when I register the car in MN. However, the more I learn about the car, the history, and the community of owners, the more I realize that it's not as clever/funny as I thought.

It's your car and your plates so you should do what your like.

Would I? No. Perpetuating such a damaging inaccuracy doesn't do the car or the community any favours. When I read what the DEA threatened to do to JZD's daughter if he backed out of the "deal" it made me sick.

DMCVegas
04-14-2016, 08:26 AM

Would I? No. Perpetuating such a damaging inaccuracy doesn't do the car or the community any favours. When I read what the DEA threatened to do to JZD's daughter if he backed out of the "deal" it made me sick.

It's reassuring to see how the community's attitude has changed about this over the years. I remember when I first spoke out how I thought it was in rather poor taste that D1 integrated a "coke stripe" into their company's logo design, I got allot of flack from people telling me that I was too uptight about it. I never thought it was right for a vendor to play into that inaccuracy for a cheap joke, and I still do not.

http://www.deloreanone.com/photos/b_carrier.jpg

SS Spoiler
04-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Wonder where that trailer is now?

Victor
04-14-2016, 01:05 PM

Right on man.

Actually my plate start with THC.

mr_maxime
05-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Coworker at my new job was saying that because was car got painted it went from a $20k-$30k car down to a $7k car. I told him that DMCMW inspected it and said that I slightly overpaid for a painted car at $21.5k but he still thought I got ripped off. He also said it couldnt be regrained as a result. Don't know why it bugged me so much, but being on this forum and seeing BHCC painted cars sell around $20k, I have a decent idea what my car's value is.

OverlandMan
05-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Coworker at my new job was saying that because was car got painted it went from a $20k-$30k car down to a $7k car. I told him that DMCMW inspected it and said that I slightly overpaid for a painted car at $21.5k but he still thought I got ripped off. He also said it couldnt be regrained as a result. Don't know why it bugged me so much, but being on this forum and seeing BHCC painted cars sell around $20k, I have a decent idea what my car's value is.

My car is not painted but thats beside the point. When non-owners engage me in a DeLorean value discussion, particularly about what I paid for my car, I usually ignore or dismiss and don't give them any info or satisfaction. The only exception being if a non-owner is thinking about becoming an owner, in which case I point to current market trends and stay vague. I think it is incredibly rude to do what your coworker did and unfortunately, it happens more often than you would think.

Alan
05-06-2016, 10:26 AM
My car is not painted but thats beside the point. When non-owners engage me in a DeLorean value discussion, particularly about what I paid for my car, I usually ignore or dismiss and don't give them any info or satisfaction. The only exception being if a non-owner is thinking about becoming an owner, in which case I point to current market trends and stay vague. I think it is incredibly rude to do what your coworker did and unfortunately, it happens more often than you would think.

Next to Flux Capacitor and coke jokes, what I paid is asked very often. I always give an answer, but it's very vague. Even my closest friends don't know what I actually paid.

I agree that it's inappropriate to ask, but I understand people's curiosity. As long as they accept my vague answer graciously I don't particularly mind. So far everyone has.

I did have an interesting comment from a co-worker yesterday... I'd mentioned I'd spent more last year than I'd hoped to when I got serious in 2013 (BTTF 30th and future day last year, of course). He asked if that meant around $20k. I said I wished.

davidc89
05-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Next to Flux Capacitor and coke jokes, what I paid is asked very often. I always give an answer, but it's very vague. Even my closest friends don't know what I actually paid.

I agree that it's inappropriate to ask, but I understand people's curiosity. As long as they accept my vague answer graciously I don't particularly mind. So far everyone has.

I did have an interesting comment from a co-worker yesterday... I'd mentioned I'd spent more last year than I'd hoped to when I got serious in 2013 (BTTF 30th and future day last year, of course). He asked if that meant around $20k. I said I wished.

I get this a lot as well. I usually tell them what they are going for currently, if they wanted to buy one.

mr_maxime
05-06-2016, 11:13 PM
It's weird cause I mostly know social etiquette because it's been told to me. so I usually answer those questions because it doesn't bother me. However, I do find it rather odd how often people ask how much I paid for it or what my salary is.

I realized that this was the first time I tried to correct misinformation but they wouldn't believe me.

Peripatetic
05-07-2016, 01:18 AM
I haven't been an owner long, but the two times it happened I just said that a DeLorean can be obtained for the average cost of a new car or less.

(Currently about $35,000 or so).

I've never independently confirmed this number, but I read it once or twice on Blog posts about Tesla Motors.

SKnight
05-08-2016, 03:15 AM
I get asked the "how much did you pay?" question alot also and usually just give a price range that these things typically go for. One guy responded with "ok, but how much did YOU pay?" So I told him that it was somewhere in the range I'd just mentioned.

mr_maxime
05-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Most people that asked haven't been rude about it. I usually get "oh.. thats not so bad". As value discussions happen on the forum, i always agree with "its worth what someone is willing to pay for it" and I'd pay around the price I paid again any day.

Michael
05-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Several years ago while in a small liquor store picking up a bottle of wine the cashier spots me pull up. As I ring up, he doesn't say anything but just then a woman burst in and asks me if that's my Delorean and just gushes over it and wants to know if she can take a few pics etc. Well that sends our friend into pissed off overdrive

"I don't know why you are making such a big deal over it! You can buy them brand new for 25 thousand!"

As I leave he says some thing else about values and I correct him and say the new ones start out at 40k (which they did at the time) and he comes back with his matter of fact tone "yeah maybe with options". I knew there was no need to even start in with these types because the simple fact is they would LOOOOVE to own it but they are not about to let you know it, so they go out of their way to make sure you know that are not impressed...(which doesn't matter to me one way or the other).

More recently I had my car at one of my work sites and a tech asks me (knowing it was)
"Is that your Delorean?"

Me: yes

"I'm sorry for you"

I just kind of looked puzzled and thanked him for his concern and went on my way. If I had it to do over again knowing he never has 2 nickels to rub together and drives a POS 90's Corolla I would probably have responded differently but it's better that I don't act on those gut thoughts and just do what I do with all assholes....walk away.

davidc89
05-08-2016, 12:33 PM
More recently I had my car at one of my work sites and a tech asks me (knowing it was)
"Is that your Delorean?"

Me: yes

"I'm sorry for you"

I've had that happen to me a few times as well. I always respond with "I'm not." I bought the car because I've always wanted one.... Ugh.

Alan
05-08-2016, 12:35 PM
I just kind of looked puzzled and thanked him for his concern and went on my way. If I had it to do over again knowing he never has 2 nickels to rub together and drives a POS 90's Corolla I would probably have responded differently but it's better that I don't act on those gut thoughts and just do what I do with all assholes....walk away.

I haven't encountered anyone that obnoxious yet. I hope I won't but I'm sure I will. I hope when I do I'll respond this way... not worth the time and effort.

Lashing out a bit does seem like it would feel good, though.

Rich_NYS
05-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Lashing out a bit does seem like it would feel good, though.

+1

I luckily haven't had any rude comments, but I'm in the "eye for an eye" camp and remain prepared with responses for rude people.

In no particular order:

-"Going out of your way to insult someone's car is rude."
-"Fuck off."
-"You must be as stupid as you sound."
-"If you don't like it, stop looking at it."
-"That's not what your mother said."
-"Are you trying to be a dick?"
-"You're not nice"

Rude people don't deserve the high road treatment. I believe in being being extremely nice to people by default, but flipping 180 if/when encountering bad types. Rude people don't deserve the same courtesy as nice people.

The closest I came was only once when I thought a guy would be rude, but I was wrong. I had my car parked on the street w/doors up and he approached the car, looking at it very strangely, almost like he had bad intentions.....I actually wasn't the only one who wondered what the guy was up to. I confronted him & said" WTH are you looking for?" He was friendly and said: "nothing....I just haven't seen one of these before." So I responded in kind and immediately became very nice & accommodating. We chatted for a while and I answered all his questions. If he had been rude, I would've stayed rude.

jamesrguk
05-09-2016, 04:58 PM
I love it when people ask how much I paid for my car as I say £9'500, then I get the pleasure of saying I wouldn't sell it for less than £25'000 (that seems the going price for a reasonable car in the uk these days).

That's the benefit of having owned the car for 16 years lol.

I've yet to be told I overpaid :partyhat:

J

PJ Grady Inc.
05-09-2016, 07:13 PM
If I had a dollar for every idiotic statement I've heard emanating just from the gawkers that frequent our parking lot alone I could have retired twenty years ago. One of my favorites is "I wonder what he's doing with all these Delorean's?" as they walk past the shop with the car lifts and tool box's and the twelve foot Delorean dealer sign on the roof. Next comes something like "You know they have an aluminum body and a Chevy/Ford/Chrysler (insert favorite fallacy) V8 and they follow the white lines down the road" or some equally authoritative statement. As J.Z.D. would have likely said hearing these remarks..."That's just asinine!"
Rob

Time Machine
05-10-2016, 01:06 AM
"Those cars suck anyway" -Said by a friend in response to my D blowing up.

And my friends on facebook...

spedlot
05-10-2016, 03:02 AM
When I first bought mine, I was driving it home from DMC Ca. I stopped to get gas in Santa Barbara and a guy in a brand new Lamborghini pulled up to get gas and was drooling over it and was saying that it was an awesome car!! I said , yeah..yours isn't too bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesrguk
05-24-2016, 03:30 PM
I've owned my D for some 15years now, I'm mid 30's so I still consider my self a young owner of such a car.

My car used to be a weekend driver in summer only etc... But in the last few years it has almost become my daily driver I have a nice 20mile commute to work which involves country roads and national speed limit duel carriageway, so a nice mix of driving.

Anyway, I'm office based during the week so my car sits outside the office which is on a secluded business centre, even so from my office I often witness many people taking a good look around, perhaps the occasional photo etc... All of which is absolutely fine by me.

On Saturdays I work in our retail shop, the car is outside the front of the shop and I guess 90% of people who come in the shop mention the DeLorean, and my colleague steers them to me, and the usual chit chat ensues, and I love it.

However the one question I simply do not understand, which is probably asked 2-3 times per day is 'does it run?'

I have to bite my tongue a little, as this question is often asked AFTER I have told them that it is my daily car.

I feal like saying 'no it's a non runner I just bring it to work on a lowloader to get attention for the shop'

Some people refuse to engage brain before mouth.

James

J

StanMan PushN 88
05-24-2016, 04:09 PM
Now when rude or pushy people ask "How much did you pay for this, or how much is it worth?", I think we can all thank DMC for increasing the value of our DeLoreans (at least in our minds and in the minds of the public) as the next batch will all be in the $-100,000 range according to all the news stories out there in last couple of months. Therefore, just tell rude people you got a "STEAL OF A DEAL" on your current and "original" classic/collectible generation of 1981, 1982 or 1983 stainless steel DeLorean.

I've had nothing but fun meeting people in this car, and within the first 30 minutes of ownership, a mom quickly walked her 5 year old boy across a huge parking lot on a direct bee-line to my car and politely asked if it would be ok if she took a couple photos for her family as she had NEVER seen one in person. I also entertained a group of ARMY folks out on patrol just a few minutes later. The good folks with curious, but friendly attitudes far outweigh the bad.

StanManPushN88

mr_maxime
05-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Since I have painted car, I get baffled by how many people bring up the "original silver." I thought they were famous for being "all stainless" lol. It's not so much stupid, but odd to me that people don't know about something so iconic to the car.

aotmfilms
05-31-2016, 01:52 PM
It's weird cause I mostly know social etiquette because it's been told to me. so I usually answer those questions because it doesn't bother me. However, I do find it rather odd how often people ask how much I paid for it or what my salary is.

I realized that this was the first time I tried to correct misinformation but they wouldn't believe me.

Same here. A kid was in my garage while I was putting my door struts on asking me those questions. I told them the going rate for my car's condition was about 30 to 35k, no less than 25k. He seemed satisfied with that. I don't tell people what I make.

--Doug

Rich_NYS
05-31-2016, 10:26 PM
When/if I'm asked how much did it cost (or how much to sell it,) I say $50K. I don't feel obligated to tell a complete stranger anything I don't want them to know, nor give them accurate info.

RamblinDMC
06-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Took #2203 to a very nice invite only concours style car show for Memorial Day. Had a great time, met a lot of nice people that were genuinely interested in the car and its history. I wondered how I was able to avoid a stupid comment the whole day. That was until I was packing up. Upon opening the "frunk" to stow away my fold up lawn chairs, I overheard a group of three 17-ish year old girls say, "Oh yeah, the engine is in the back, that's how cars were years ago." Facepalm....

dustybarn
06-01-2016, 09:50 PM
The only "how much is it worth" questions I've gotten have come from other car enthusiasts, and they are usually careful to ask, "How much do these usually sell for?" because it avoids actually asking me how much *I* paid, which they know may be different.

Some people are surprised to learn that it's rear-engined, but that's excusable. The styling doesn't give strong cues either way.

Nicholas R
06-02-2016, 08:56 AM
When/if I'm asked how much did it cost (or how much to sell it,) I say $50K. I don't feel obligated to tell a complete stranger anything I don't want them to know, nor give them accurate info.

This is a remarkably good point.... I should keep this in mind.

Jonathan
06-02-2016, 09:11 PM
This is a remarkably good point.... I should keep this in mind.

Completely agree. This just became my default response. I've never been much good at being concise with stuff so this will come in handy. Like having a multiple choice list of answers ready to go to tell certain people. Attaboy Rich, I owe you one!!

mr_maxime
06-04-2016, 12:00 AM
I'll tell them I paid what it's worth, then if they ask what it's worth I'll just say what I paid for it lol.

Christian Dietrich
06-13-2016, 09:45 AM
I guess my skin isn't as thick as it should be, even for my fiance also. Sometimes out in the DeLorean you would here the typical dumb ass comments but when the cocaine jokes come out or the cars is a piece of crap, not only me but my fiance' takes serious offence like someone just talked crap about our son!!!! I'll be like "so my car is crap uhh? Where is your car?" "I dont have one" they say! So you pick on someone for having a crappy car but dont even OWN a car!! Im at a lost for words to even argue. Now Jenny, well she has skin thinner than mine, lol!!! She will school there butt big time giving them the history of the car, the company and the man that it leaves them speechless!!! I just look at her and say "now you see why im marrying you" She is a big gear head and only likes classic cars. To us, the DeLorean is part of the family and Jenny wants the car in our wedding! She has her own money in the car, came up with the 2 tone style accents and installed the wide stripe kit. So basically saying a negative comment about the car will result in a negative comment back but some days we just ignore it like we didnt hear anything because the end result is others will try to put you down because there jealous scum that dont know how to work hard to achieve what you dream of.

mr_maxime
06-13-2016, 01:35 PM
My favorite lately is when I tell people I'm stripping it back to stainless and get the "and then what?" to which I respond "that's it."

Jonathan
06-22-2016, 07:04 AM
I had just parked at the A&W cruise night in town and had the trunk open while I was still getting a few of my signs and things set-up. Buddy comes up marvelling over the car and once seeing inside the trunk says "wow, I can't believe that's all that powers it!" I actually managed to keep my mouth shut. The weed is that good, eh bro?

(This is what he was looking at... my battery booster pack. Although maybe he meant the FC?)

Dangermouse
08-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Not a Stupid comment per se, but a disappointing one.

I was in Dallas TX last week and was very fortunate to get an invite to look around a private collection of about 130 cars, mostly GM products (~25 Caddys from 1936 to mid eighties, Olds, Pontiac, Chevy, ~'vettes ) but a sprinkling of Fords and late model Benz's and Maybachs

The owner was very gracious, allowing us to sit in any of them and start up any that had a key. Afterwards we all went out for a fantastic steak and he regaled us with stories of how he came by every car. As he was a GM guy, and in his late sixties, I was curious about his opinion of JZD. perhaps not surprisingly, he knew the history of car and the plant surprisingly well, but he got hung up on the drug bust, how underpowered the car was and difficult to get worked on.

As he was hosting us, I gently corrected him on a few points and noted that the present day was probably the best time in history to own one of these cars with the vendor and owner support that exists around the world. Don't think he will be joining us unfortunately.

On the plus side, he didn't mention the movie nor that "they are making new ones, you know" :)

DaraSue
08-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Not stupid in the infuriating sense but I found it quite comical...

One of my friends told me she'd thought my CRX was a DeLorean for years. In her defense it is a silver gen I and actually does bear an uncanny resemblance to the squished D in Simon's sig pic so if you didn't know the doors were a stock feature and didn't notice the Honda badges, it might be an easy mistake to make... :biggrin:

Some guy
08-08-2016, 01:51 PM
I was pumping gas at a corner station.

There was some guy at the traffic light, in a pickup truck yelling " Where's the flux capacitor"

I never looked up, just played like i heard nothing.

Farrar
08-08-2016, 03:25 PM
I was pumping gas at a corner station.

There was some guy at the traffic light

Wait. So you were in two places at once?

Jonathan
08-08-2016, 05:10 PM
A couple weeks ago a few local owners met before going into a show together. My attention was with someone else, so I didn't catch all of what he said or have time to say something in return, and maybe that was a good thing, 'cause I still don't know what I would have said.

This guy was walking by the cars all excited and mumbled something about "dilithium crystals."

I think I just looked at him dumbfounded and then thankfully kept talking to whoever it was I was talking to in the first place as he left.

Hey Biff, I think you might have crossed the streams on a few of your movie references there. Might want to lay off the Romulan ale and stick to Nerf herding.

Farrar
08-08-2016, 06:04 PM
This guy was walking by the cars all excited and mumbled something about "dilithium crystals."

Obviously, he's mistaken. We secretly replaced the dilithium with Folgers Crystals! ;)

Jonathan
08-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Obviously, he's mistaken. We secretly replaced the dilithium with Folgers Crystals! ;)

Whole bean of course too... the car's did come standard with a Krupp's coffee grinder afterall!!!

Rich_NYS
08-09-2016, 01:07 PM
I'm coming clean to everyone here & now:

When I bought my first Delorean in 2013, I made a cocaine joke to the PO when I first looked at the car.

Sorry...!!

Stainless
08-09-2016, 01:17 PM

When I bought my first Delorean in 2013, I made a cocaine joke to the PO when I first looked at the car.

Sorry...!!

You bastard! :p

Rich_NYS
08-09-2016, 01:48 PM

haha!

DMCVegas
08-09-2016, 05:27 PM

Sorry...!!

I'm curious as to why? Not trying to flame, just an honest question. Were you trying to break the ice and relate?

Dangermouse
08-09-2016, 05:45 PM

Sorry...!!

That's good Richard

The First Step is to admit you had a problem

:)

Michael
08-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Knowing Rich it probably went down like:

Rich: So now that we have the Delorean deal out of the way..do you have any drugs? pills? coke?

Former owner: What are you joking or something?

Rich: uhhh, yeah, I was only kidding, not serious at all (puts money back in pocket).

Rich_NYS
08-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Best responses ever to any post I've ever made...lol!

I said I was sorry! haha!

I'm curious as to why? Not trying to flame, just an honest question. Were you trying to break the ice and relate?

I was very "new" and barely above the level of spectator, so I think yes (IIRC)...just trying to break the ice. At that time, I really didn't know it was bad form...seemed harmless to me at the time 'cause I didn't know better. FWIW, the PO responded with something like: "pot seeds are probably all you'll find."

That's good Richard

:)

Awesome! "Hi, my name is Rich...and I made a dumbass cocaine joke to a DeLorean owner" :mallet:

Knowing Rich it probably went down like:

Rich: So now that we have the Delorean deal out of the way..do you have any drugs? pills? coke?

Former owner: What are you joking or something?

Rich: uhhh, yeah, I was only kidding, not serious at all (puts money back in pocket).

I'm laughing so hard right now I can barely type...lol!

The Force is strong in you, mister!

Citizen
08-10-2016, 07:31 AM

This was step 1 -- of the 12 step program.

Farrar
08-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Step 13 is to drive your DeLorean and forget you ever had a problem. :)

AugustneverEnds
08-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Sometimes a cocaine joke is almost welcome in lieu of BTTF comments and the "Hey you can buy a new one now" banter :paranoid:

DaraSue
08-12-2016, 03:09 PM
You guys, I got my first Flux Capacitor joke today! I feel like such a legit DeLorean owner now, even if the car isn't actually in my possession yet, LOL. (It was at NAPA while I was picking up some spare fuses. I giggled like a loon. I suppose it gets old eventually but I've seriously been grinning about it all day.)

WHO1DMC
08-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Any of you get Irritated when people say. Oh the engine is in the back like a VW? I say it's not a VW. It has a V6 and has a lot more power. Yeeesh Comparing a D to VW! Or is it just me. And yes I put in a flux capacitor because they always ask.

Dave B.

Michael
08-14-2016, 01:16 PM
I say it's not a VW. It has a V6 and has a lot more power. Yeeesh Comparing a D to VW!
Dave B.

A lot more power? That's not saying much. It's almost an insult to both vehicles. That's like saying

"Is that your wife? Wow she's a lot prettier than Sandra Bernhard."

Rich
08-14-2016, 01:39 PM
The answer to that one can also be "The engine's in back, same as in a 911".

Any of you get Irritated when people say. Oh the engine is in the back like a VW? I say it's not a VW. It has a V6 and has a lot more power.

Timebender
08-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Any of you get Irritated when people say. Oh the engine is in the back like a VW? I say it's not a VW. It has a V6 and has a lot more power. Yeeesh Comparing a D to VW! Or is it just me. And yes I put in a flux capacitor because they always ask.

Dave B.

I have a Chevy small block 350 in mine, which doesn't help as the comments I normally get, even from some guy who says he's appraised NUMEROUS DeLoreans, is "oh I see you have the one that came with the 350. That was a much better option than the V6." Really???

AugustneverEnds
08-14-2016, 03:27 PM
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Next time someone asks me what you need to own a D, my answer will be, a willingness to listen to stuff that isn't true, never was true and is hugely unlikely to ever be true. In addition to money, patience, AAA card, metric hand tools, the funny square drain plug tool, a cooling system tester, crimping and soldering tools, quick connectors, spare relays, fuses and circuit breakers. And Hot Wheels D's to give to your young fans :biggrin:

Michael
08-14-2016, 03:35 PM
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Next time someone asks me what you need to own a D, my answer will be, a willingness to listen to stuff that isn't true, never was true and is hugely unlikely to ever be true. In addition to money, patience, AAA card, metric hand tools, the funny square drain plug tool, a cooling system tester, crimping and soldering tools, quick connectors, spare relays, fuses and circuit breakers. And Hot Wheels D's to give to your young fans :biggrin:

If you have money, you don't need anything else...the rest is what your mechanic needs.

Johnny-T
08-14-2016, 09:54 PM
I just had my first onslaught of comments after picking up my D from DMCNW on Wednesday morning. Driving it down from Seattle to Vegas I think we heard all the common stuff. It was kinda enjoyable at first becasue I was still in shock that I was actually driving a DeLorean... I actually own a Delorean!

But after the 1200 mile trip over 3 days, it started getting old hearing things every time we stopped. There was even one a-hole that wouldnt let me pass and I could see him filming me through his mirror doing about half the speed limit. Then all of the sudden, he tossed a bannana peel out his window back at me. The worst part of it was that I was having some trouble keeping the engine going at lower speeds so when I slowed down to gain some distance, I stalled out and had to sit on the side of the freeway for a bit until my engine would start again.

But overall my first experiences as a D owner have been positive. There were far more positive comments then bad. I had several younger children express their excitment. I even let one of the more awestruck kids sit in the driver seat for a photo op. After he got out he said "I want one of these one day!" I just looked at him and said, "You know, I was about your age when I told myself the same thing." His eyes lit up like I had just told him he could be anything he wants when he grows up.

AugustneverEnds
08-14-2016, 10:24 PM
If you have money, you don't need anything else...the rest is what your mechanic needs.

True, true... I just can't stand to part with any amount of money if something needs to be fixed that I figure I have a 50/50 chance of doing myself whether I can afford to pay someone or not.

I almost forgot to add to my list tool kit (pliers, screwdrivers, extra hose clamps) a gallon of coolant, 10mm deep well socket and a flashlight. The hose clamp on the RH front water pipe loosened on me three weeks ago on my way home at 10:30pm. Stopped and tightened the clamp, topped up the coolant, bled the system and got home a little messier than when I started but without a tow or a late call to a friend or relative.

AugustneverEnds
08-14-2016, 10:28 PM
I just had my first onslaught of comments after picking up my D from DMCNW on Wednesday morning. Driving it down from Seattle to Vegas I think we heard all the common stuff. It was kinda enjoyable at first becasue I was still in shock that I was actually driving a DeLorean... I actually own a Delorean!

But after the 1200 mile trip over 3 days, it started getting old hearing things every time we stopped. There was even one a-hole that wouldnt let me pass and I could see him filming me through his mirror doing about half the speed limit. Then all of the sudden, he tossed a bannana peel out his window back at me. The worst part of it was that I was having some trouble keeping the engine going at lower speeds so when I slowed down to gain some distance, I stalled out and had to sit on the side of the freeway for a bit until my engine would start again.

But overall my first experiences as a D owner have been positive. There were far more positive comments then bad. I had several younger children express their excitment. I even let one of the more awestruck kids sit in the driver seat for a photo op. After he got out he said "I want one of these one day!" I just looked at him and said, "You know, I was about your age when I told myself the same thing." His eyes lit up like I had just told him he could be anything he wants when he grows up.

I totally agree with you, the good comments tend to far outnumber the bad. It's pretty cool when kids compliment and appreciate the car.

Congratulations on getting your dream! Welcome and best of luck with your new toy!

DMC5180
08-15-2016, 12:21 AM

Hind site being 20/20, you should have pulled off at the nearest exit waited a minute then got back on the road. We've all had similar experiences at some point, but I've never heard one that bad.

I did have something similar a few weeks ago while traveling after DCS. I had a guy pass me on a double yellow haulin ass out a site. Ten minutes later I see him parked in his driveway taking a video of me as I drive by. Yeah I didn't wave, but it was tempting to wave with one finger after that pass in a no passing zone stunt .

Dennis

Johnny-T
08-15-2016, 01:36 AM
Hind site being 20/20, you should have pulled off at the nearest exit waited a minute then got back on the road. We've all had similar experiences at some point, but I've never heard one that bad.

I did have something similar a few weeks ago while traveling after DCS. I had a guy pass me on a double yellow haulin ass out a site. Ten minutes later I see him parked in his driveway taking a video of me as I drive by. Yeah I didn't wave, but it was tempting to wave with one finger after that pass in a no passing zone stunt .

Dennis

I wanted to pull off but I knew if I slowed down much more, I was going to stall out. Thats why I was trying to pass him but he kept swinging over into the oncoming lane whenever I tried. Plus I was on 73 mile stretch of the 93 freeway with no exits. When I did stall out I had to use the gravel shoulder to sit in for awhile. Part of me thinks its a little funny only because I can only imagine what he thought as he tosses the peel and then sees me quickly pull off the road. I kinda wish I could see the video he took of the event... haha.

DMC5180
08-15-2016, 05:55 AM
You shouldn't have stalled out. Is it an Auto or 5 speed? This car came from DMCNW?

Dennis

Jonathan
08-15-2016, 08:01 AM

The encounters I find the hardest to deal with are the ones when you're out on a "shake down drive" or trying to figure out some issue on the car and all you want is some stretch of road to yourself to listen, drive slow, drive fast, whatever. You feel like hanging a sign out the window saying "dude, now's not really a good time!"

Congrats on getting your car, btw! As Dennis said, your car shouldn't be stalling out. Maybe start a new thread and we'll try to help you figure out what the problem is.

Johnny-T
08-16-2016, 01:30 AM
You shouldn't have stalled out. Is it an Auto or 5 speed? This car came from DMCNW?

Dennis

It's an automatic and was pucrchased on consignment from the original owner through DMCNW.

The encounters I find the hardest to deal with are the ones when you're out on a "shake down drive" or trying to figure out some issue on the car and all you want is some stretch of road to yourself to listen, drive slow, drive fast, whatever. You feel like hanging a sign out the window saying "dude, now's not really a good time!"

Congrats on getting your car, btw! As Dennis said, your car shouldn't be stalling out. Maybe start a new thread and we'll try to help you figure out what the problem is.

I definitely consider my trip home to have been a "shake down". I had never even sat in a D before or driven such a long disatance in any car. Both the car and I had to get to know each other.

I think it was just a cooling issue while the car was getting used to my driving it so hard. It was a one owner car and only had 29k miles put on it in its 35 years. On top of that, the car has always been up in the Seattle area. Once I hit the 115 degree heat after driving it for hours it started to feel as if it was shifting every few seconds (Its an automatic). Then it would lose power and stall when it got below 25 mph and it just wouldnt restart. Everytime it would happen I would just pull off and let it cool for a bit and it would start up fine after a rest. Im sure I put more miles on it in my 3 day trip home than the original owner did in the last 3 years. Not to mention I was running it harder and longer than it probaly ever has. But now that its home and not needing to run like that its doing briliantly so far. Thanks for the advice tho. I will definitly start a new thread if I encounter any more issues.

Back to the original topic, a sign would come in very handy indeed. In fact, Ive been trying to find a place that can make me a custom sunshade that will have the "answers to your questions..." printed on it. lol

Jonathan
08-16-2016, 07:35 AM
It's an automatic and was pucrchased on consignment from the original owner through DMCNW.

I definitely consider my trip home to have been a "shake down". I had never even sat in a D before or driven such a long disatance in any car. Both the car and I had to get to know each other.

I think it was just a cooling issue while the car was getting used to my driving it so hard. It was a one owner car and only had 29k miles put on it in its 35 years. On top of that, the car has always been up in the Seattle area. Once I hit the 115 degree heat after driving it for hours it started to feel as if it was shifting every few seconds (Its an automatic). Then it would lose power and stall when it got below 25 mph and it just wouldnt restart. Everytime it would happen I would just pull off and let it cool for a bit and it would start up fine after a rest. Im sure I put more miles on it in my 3 day trip home than the original owner did in the last 3 years. Not to mention I was running it harder and longer than it probaly ever has. But now that its home and not needing to run like that its doing briliantly so far. Thanks for the advice tho. I will definitly start a new thread if I encounter any more issues.

Back to the original topic, a sign would come in very handy indeed. In fact, Ive been trying to find a place that can make me a custom sunshade that will have the "answers to your questions..." printed on it. lol

I would suggest a new thread for issues on the car.

The shifting every few seconds you saw in the 115 degree heat could be a problematic shift computer needing attention. Lots of things to do to confirm or gain additional information (check fluid levels, check wiring of computer governor for damage, check fuse/relay area behind passenger seat).

Losing power and stalling also isn't normal. That could be a few different things too, like fuel pump struggling with warm fuel or a pinched pick-up hose, an idle set incorrectly or idle microswitch not engaging, could be something to do with your cooling fans and an electrical overload too.

Glad to hear you got it home. Congrats again.

AugustneverEnds
08-16-2016, 08:23 AM
I would suggest a new thread for issues on the car.

The shifting every few seconds you saw in the 115 degree heat could be a problematic shift computer needing attention. Lots of things to do to confirm or gain additional information (check fluid levels, check wiring of computer governor for damage, check fuse/relay area behind passenger seat).

Losing power and stalling also isn't normal. That could be a few different things too, like fuel pump struggling with warm fuel or a pinched pick-up hose, an idle set incorrectly or idle microswitch not engaging, could be something to do with your cooling fans and an electrical overload too.

Glad to hear you got it home. Congrats again.

Well you made it home in your dream car and she has a few things to sort out but that's what the forum is for :rock_on:

The Renault Type 4141 automatic is very finicky about fluid level, too little and all kinds of weird behavior can happen, too much and it leaks like a sieve. It used Dexron II fluid same as GM autos from the early 80s, available from any parts store. The fluid should be red. Black or brown and or a burned smell is a bad sign. Easy place to start.

For quite a few years the filter for the auto was unavailable so many cars are probably still running with the filter they left the factory with. A fellow owner commissioned a batch of new filters which can be bought from DMC or his ebay auction, http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Automatic-Transmission-Filter-Kit-Renault-4141-/131597394095?hash=item1ea3d0e0af:g:NXQAAOSwsB9WDwA f&vxp=mtr

I think Jonathan and I tell every auto D owner their governor computer needs or will need attention. Over the years the capacitors and soldering on the circuit boards have proven failure prone. If you are handy with a soldering iron and have an understanding of electronics it can be self repaired. Otherwise spending the $350 or so to have it professionally rebuilt by a DeLorean vendor is the way to go. The unit has to be removed and intact (it looks like this http://store.delorean.com/p-8909-auto-trans-computer.aspx) to be rebuilt.

As Jonathan said stalling and power loss are not normal and will require some diagnostic work to find out the cause(s)

Farrar
08-16-2016, 11:13 AM
Has anyone said "Check your grounds" yet? ;)

Actually, I was thinking of putting together a "FAQ sheet" for DeLorean owners to hand out at car shows... a bit tongue-in-cheek... maybe I'll get around to it and post it in the "Resources" section. :P

mr_maxime
08-16-2016, 06:37 PM
he funny square drain plug tool

lol just picked one up today

A few months back I did have a guy filming me on the interstate, but my lane was ending and he was blocking me. I dont think he did it on purpose. I just kept thinking "i know you're excited, but let me over!"

Michael
08-16-2016, 07:32 PM
lol just picked one up today

A few months back I did have a guy filming me on the interstate, but my lane was ending and he was blocking me. I dont think he did it on purpose. I just kept thinking "i know you're excited, but let me over!"

They have no issues with risking your life, their life, and wrecking you to get a pic for their stupid facebook page..and they will most likely run if they do wreck you. If I run into someone driving like a jackass to get a picture, I simply pull over and come to a complete stop if I have to.

Farrar
08-16-2016, 07:41 PM
I simply pull over and come to a complete stop if I have to.

:thumbup:

I have gone so far as to actually take the nearest exit off of the expressway and wait a minute or two for them to get well away from me before getting back on the expressway. Better safe than sorry ... well, our cars are 35 years old so better safe than dead. :P

sdg3205
08-16-2016, 07:46 PM
:thumbup:

well, our cars are 35 years old so better safe than dead. :P

There's a doc brown quote we don't toss around much from BTTF 2 that's relevant here:

"He's in a _______, we're in a Delorean, he'd crush us like tin foil."

Farrar
08-16-2016, 07:51 PM
There's a doc brown quote we don't toss around much from BTTF 2 that's relevant here:

"He's in a _______, we're in a Delorean, he'd crush us like tin foil."

'46 Ford, right?

DaraSue
08-19-2016, 04:11 PM
At the DMV yesterday to get my temp reg, the clerk looked at my paperwork and she was like "Wait, WHAT kind of car is this?"

Me: "A DeLorean. You know, like in Back to the Future."

Her: "Does it run on gasoline?"

In retrospect maybe I should have said "No, plutonium." Then again government employees aren't exactly known for their senses of humor. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure she was at least as old as me, too. Forever mystified that there are people walking around this earth who don't know what a DeLorean is. How empty their lives must be... :biggrin:

Jonathan
08-19-2016, 06:26 PM
'46 Ford, right?

I believe so, yes. I spotted one at a cruise night this summer and asked the guy about that. He said every so often someone comes up and asks him about the BTTF connection. I wasn't in my DeLorean that day or would have tried to get a picture of them together.

At the DMV yesterday to get my temp reg, the clerk looked at my paperwork and she was like "Wait, WHAT kind of car is this?"

In retrospect maybe I should have said "No, plutonium." Then again government employees aren't exactly known for their senses of humor. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure she was at least as old as me, too. Forever mystified that there are people walking around this earth who don't know what a DeLorean is. How empty their lives must be... :biggrin:

There are a few jokesters in the Canadian government apparently. This was legitimately posted on the official government page, but got pulled down as maybe the person's supervisor didn't think it was all that funny.

MTDMC
08-19-2016, 09:53 PM
I get a lot of the Flux Capacitor jokes at car shows.

DMC5180
08-20-2016, 12:34 AM
I wonder what jokes you get if you show up with a BTTF clone since it would obviously have the FC.

Dennis

Johnny-T
08-20-2016, 05:06 PM

I was at a gas pump today with the nozzle in the car and a guy walked up and asked me the same thing. Then it got worse from there:

Him: Cool a DeLorean! Does it run on regular gas?
Me: Nope. I'm just using the unleaded fuel to clean out the engine.
Him: Oh. So does it run then?
Me: Nope. I had it towed here just to clean it out.

He just nodded, stepped back, and watched me get in and drive off. He's probably still standing there trying to work it all out in his head.

Rich_NYS
08-20-2016, 05:52 PM
Him: Oh. So does it run then?
Me: Nope. I had it towed here just to clean it out.

hahaha...! Awesome!

jwrayth
08-20-2016, 06:21 PM
Him: Cool a DeLorean! Does it run on regular gas?
Me: Nope. I'm just using the unleaded fuel to clean out the engine.

Sounds like a bit of a dick move on your part to be honest. He probably knew very little about cars and vaguely aware of leaded gas and thought you might be needing an additive or something. That's certainly the case frequently in the UK when I'm refueling, so I try not to judge others too harshly. I get that following up with "Does it run?" makes him out to be the stupid one, but he was just excited to see a DeLorean and you shat all over his day. Congratulations.

Johnny-T
08-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a bit of a dick move on your part to be honest. He probably knew very little about cars and vaguely aware of leaded gas and thought you might be needing an additive or something. That's certainly the case frequently in the UK when I'm refueling, so I try not to judge others too harshly. I get that following up with "Does it run?" makes him out to be the stupid one, but he was just excited to see a DeLorean and you shat all over his day. Congratulations.

I laughed after I said the first part because I thought he was trying to make a "It must runs on banana peels and beer cans" reference. I was actually going to make a comment back explaining my response but he quickly added the "Does it run" part and I knew it wasn't worth the time. It's one of those you had to be there type of things. The other guy I was next to even gave me a look like is that guy serious? Being born and raised here in Vegas, I've seen and met so many different kinds of people and its become easy to tell when your dealing with folks that just aren't all there. And unfortunately, Vegas seems to have more than its fair share of them.

Michael
08-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Almost makes you want to install a faux fuel cap in the rear. Drive up to a crowded gas station next to the trash can and start dumping trash in your new fuel tank, then drive off.

RamblinDMC
08-21-2016, 12:14 AM
I get asked often questions such as: You drove it here? It runs? You actually drive it? Which at first seems like a really bizarre question to ask. Well of course it runs and I drive it places, it's a car! However, coming from someone who may have never seen a DeLorean before. Maybe it makes sense when you compare it to possibly seeing a Duesenberg or a Tucker in the Wal-Mart parking lot. I know I'd say, You drove that here?

jawn101
09-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Forgot to post this one here. More offensive than stupid. I had a breakdown a few weeks back when my fuel pump gave out, and as I was sitting in the car on the side of the road, doors up (in 110 degree weather) waiting for a tow, some genius in a monster pickup drove by and took the opportunity to roll coal on me while shouting "next time, buy American, f*g"

Classy.

DavidProehl
09-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Forgot to post this one here. More offensive than stupid. I had a breakdown a few weeks back when my fuel pump gave out, and as I was sitting in the car on the side of the road, doors up (in 110 degree weather) waiting for a tow, some genius in a monster pickup drove by and took the opportunity to roll coal on me while shouting "next time, buy American, f*g"

Classy.

Why must people be a jerk to someone who is having a bad day?

DaraSue
09-07-2016, 08:37 PM

Classy.

May that "gentleman" purchase his next car from this dealer... (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14061-What-happens-when-the-dealer-can-t-fix-your-car) :deviltail:

Michael
09-07-2016, 08:41 PM
I had a breakdown a few weeks back when my fuel pump gave out, and as I was sitting in the car on the side of the road, doors up (in 110 degree weather) waiting for a tow, some genius in a monster pickup drove by and took the opportunity to roll coal on me while shouting "next time, buy American, f*g"

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that is grounds to use deadly force in Tennessee.

mr_maxime
09-07-2016, 10:52 PM
His truck was probably built in Canada anyways.

Old coworker liked to give me an another coworker shit because we had Hondas until I saw the vin sticker on his chevy silverado. My coworker's v6 accord was built about 20 miles down the road and the "american" silverado was built all the way in canada.

I have such a disdain for truck drivers like the one that blew coal. I won't go on a full rant, but the road could really use much less of them.

sdg3205
09-09-2016, 01:14 AM
We build a lot of vehicles in Ontario. Not as many as we used to, but a lot. Don't worry, they're built better than the Bricklin.