PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

CFI
10-19-2020, 05:21 PM
Roughly 100 cars were completed after Consolidated took the reigns (roughly VINs 20000 to 20105), but I've never heard of that taking place in Ohio. The only car I'm aware of that was assembled in Ohio is VIN 20105, the car Consolidated assembled from the spare American Express gold plated panels and raffled off (and given the last DeLorean VIN). To be best of my knowledge, all other cars were completed in Northern Ireland.

Consolidated didn’t assemble 20105 In Ohio. It was assembled at the factory. Consolidated simply swapped the exterior panels when it arrived in the States. The finished product had one gold plated door that didn’t match the rest of the car, due to the DMCL gold plating crew not having enough time to plate 3 complete sets of panels while they were renting the equipment. This forced Consolidated to gold plate a door in the States in order to complete the panel swap.

louielouie2000
10-20-2020, 10:38 AM
Consolidated didn’t assemble 20105 In Ohio. It was assembled at the factory. Consolidated simply swapped the exterior panels when it arrived in the States. The finished product had one gold plated door that didn’t match the rest of the car, due to the DMCL gold plating crew not having enough time to plate 3 complete sets of panels while they were renting the equipment. This forced Consolidated to gold plate a door in the States in order to complete the panel swap.

Don't forget they had to swap out the interior, too! Mechanically speaking, VIN 20105 was most certainly built (to some extent) in Dunmurry. The car was thought to be a much earlier production car that was re-VIN'd, which makes you wonder if it was one of the infamous "problem cars" that sat unfinished at the factory. This is why I referred to its final assembly taking place in Ohio. Cosmetically speaking, the car doesn't carry any of the components it left the factory with except possibly the engine cover & louvers. An incomplete list of everything that was swapped: the doors, all 4 quarter panels, hood, t-panel, both fascias, the wheels, center caps, exhaust tips; all of the interior: the seats, carpets, headliners, dash, binnacle, console, arm rest, change tray, knee pads, steering wheel, steering column trim, A&B pillar trims, upper & lower door trim, etc were all swapped out in Ohio. Anyway, not trying to split hairs here. DeLorean history just fascinates me.

David T
10-20-2020, 05:46 PM

The story I heard was that when they went to assemble the car, the door was missing. All the gold panels for all three cars were done in one batch so they would all match. When they had the door plated by itself it did not match the other panels.

Victor
10-20-2020, 07:06 PM
The story I heard was that when they went to assemble the car, the door was missing. All the gold panels for all three cars were done in one batch so they would all match. When they had the door plated by itself it did not match the other panels.

That’s surely is an interesting thing that golden plated Delorean!

I know it’s off topic here but I was wondering why nobody tried to have their D candy yellow painted? I know there are red candy painted D, but not so sure with yellow/with that golden glow? It would look warm. And could look like the plated ones somewhat...

Maybe my comment here is stupid, so it may be not be too much off topic after all...😉

CFI
10-20-2020, 10:19 PM

I think it was Nick Sutton’s book that explains it. Of the 3 sets of panels that were shipped for plating, all arrived safely except one door which had a bent corner. The plating equipment was only available for a short time, too short for another door to be shipped. Someone, somewhere, plated a replacement door for Consolidated but it wasn’t the Dunmurry team.

Collie from Belfast
12-15-2020, 10:19 AM
I'm not a De Lorean owner but as I mentioned previously I'm a former employee. There are numerous documentaries out there about Mr De Lorean, the car and his factory in Belfast. Some of the footage shows interviews with former employees who seem disgruntled and unhappy. When asked what he would do if he met John one grumpy former employee said that he ''would punch him in the face". I can tell you from firsthand experience that this mans comment does not reflect on the majority of us. We had great respect for John De Lorean and his American team. If I had ever met the man I would have shaken his hand and thanked him for giving me a job. That is the way most of us felt back then and probably still feel today.

Michael
12-15-2020, 10:31 AM
I'm not a De Lorean owner but as I mentioned previously I'm a former employee. There are numerous documentaries out there about Mr De Lorean, the car and his factory in Belfast. Some of the footage shows interviews with former employees who seem disgruntled and unhappy. When asked what he would do if he met John one grumpy former employee said that he ''would punch him in the face". I can tell you from firsthand experience that this mans comment does not reflect on the majority of us. We had great respect for John De Lorean and his American team. If I had ever met the man I would have shaken his hand and thanked him for giving me a job. That is the way most of us felt back then and probably still feel today.

I have seen that doc, I think it was a British doc named "Car Crash"
It just goes to show that once a narrative has been decided, you can piece together the "story" to match it.

Collie from Belfast
12-15-2020, 10:51 AM
I have seen that doc, I think it was a British doc named "Car Crash"
It just goes to show that once a narrative has been decided, you can piece together the "story" to match it.

Exactly. I wish they'd have asked me.

jackb
12-20-2020, 08:11 PM
At a car show last week, some know-it-all started telling me how the floorboards were made of wood, among plenty of other really stupid comments, and when I politely corrected him, specifying the rear wall and parcel shelf only were wood, that the floorboards were in fact the GRP of the body, he was adamant that I was wrong, and he’d owned several. I finally had enough and fairly directly said “are you sure they were deloreans?” “Yes!” “Ok dude, whatever” and turned away.
About 5 min later a really original jokester commented to his family about the car sniffing up the white lines on the road and then looked at me expecting a laugh; I just smirked.
I’ve only encountered stupid comments at car shows, never in the wild.

Mike F
12-21-2020, 10:59 PM
At a car show last week, some know-it-all started telling me how the floorboards were made of wood, among plenty of other really stupid comments, and when I politely corrected him, specifying the rear wall and parcel shelf only were wood, that the floorboards were in fact the GRP of the body, he was adamant that I was wrong, and he’d owned several. I finally had enough and fairly directly said “are you sure they were deloreans?” “Yes!” “Ok dude, whatever” and turned away.
About 5 min later a really original jokester commented to his family about the car sniffing up the white lines on the road and then looked at me expecting a laugh; I just smirked.

Got the "white lines on the road" comment the other day immediately after the "you know why DeLorean made these cars in the first place, right? To ship cocaine to the US..." classic. At least it was a guy I knew but just hadn't talked to in a while, so I had no problem telling him he was full of it. :giddy:

EngineerGuY
12-22-2020, 05:44 PM

Amazes me to this day that people are so uninformed.... but so uninformed they'll willing to look like idiots in public.

Timeless
12-23-2020, 12:36 PM
Amazes me to this day that people are so uninformed.... but so uninformed they'll willing to look like idiots in public.
Certain generation...... :boxface:

mr_maxime
12-23-2020, 08:12 PM
Certain generation...... :boxface:

It's universal lol

I'd have lifted the carpets with that guy mentioning the floorboards

Jonathan
04-11-2021, 07:40 AM
"You don't see many of these around!"

Is this the dumbest comment someone can say to a DeLorean owner? I mean, if you say it to your friend or kid as you walk by, sure, I get it. But when you say it to the owner while he's washing the car in his own driveway, it makes no sense. In fact, the owner is about the only person this for sure doesn't apply to.

YOU don't see many of these around, ok, but I see one every time I go out to the garage. I think this is when I pretend I have my earbuds on and can't hear him over the music, lol.

Rich_NYS
04-11-2021, 07:52 AM

Is this the dumbest comment someone can say to a DeLorean owner? I mean, if you say it to your friend or kid as you walk by, sure, I get it. But when you say it to the owner while he's washing the car in his own driveway, it makes no sense. In fact, the owner is about the only person this for sure doesn't apply to.

YOU don't see many of these around, ok, but I see one every time I go out to the garage. I think this is when I pretend I have my earbuds on and can't hear him over the music, lol.I once responded to that comment with: "I see one everyday." My wife said I sounded like a douche, so now I try harder to be nice. It's not always easy, but it helps me when I think of how I would've acted if I had ever seen a DeLorean & owner in the wild (prior to buying one.)

Jonathan
04-11-2021, 09:44 AM
I once responded to that comment with: "I see one everyday." My wife said I sounded like a douche, so now I try harder to be nice. It's not always easy, but it helps me when I think of how I would've acted if I had ever seen a DeLorean & owner in the wild (prior to buying one.)

Haha, nice. Exactly my thoughts too. I don't have a reply to that one that doesn't sound douchey or condescending. When those ones in particular come, I kinda hope/wait for another comment and then go from there. This guy yesterday said it as he and another guy rode by on their bikes, so luckily a smile was all that was needed.

Ron
04-11-2021, 12:51 PM
I once responded to that comment with: "I see one everyday." My wife said I sounded like a douche, so now I try harder to be nice. It's not always easy, but it helps me when I think of how I would've acted if I had ever seen a DeLorean & owner in the wild (prior to buying one.)Playing devil's advocate and considering you are the official Grammar Nazi on "the other site", I'd have to agree with your wife. "You", by definition, can be used to refer to any person in general. And seeing your own D many times in your garage obviously isn't the same as seeing many Ds around... So I would consider it as a compliment, admiring its rarity.
Without being there to hear how things are said, one never knows. :deviltail:

CFI
04-11-2021, 01:34 PM

YOU don't see many of these around, ok, but I see one every time I go out to the garage. I think this is when I pretend I have my earbuds on and can't hear him over the music, lol.

Technically, he has a point. YOU might see ONE every day, but generally speaking you (people in general) don’t see MANY of them around.

David T
04-11-2021, 04:26 PM
I don't understand why you guys take this stuff so seriously. People are only trying to start a conversation with you and don't realize how dumb their opening line is. This is akin to trying to start a conversation with a pretty girl who's heard the same line before and is tired of it. If you can get past the initial bad start you will find most people are genuinely curious about the car and just want to see it up close.

CFI
04-11-2021, 05:13 PM
I don't understand why you guys take this stuff so seriously. People are only trying to start a conversation with you and don't realize how dumb their opening line is. This is akin to trying to start a conversation with a pretty girl who's heard the same line before and is tired of it. If you can get past the initial bad start you will find most people are genuinely curious about the car and just want to see it up close.

I agree 100%. The vast majority of my interactions have been positive despite how some of them begin. If they are nice I also let them sit in the car for a picture.

Now get out there and spread some happiness, damn it!

Rich_NYS
04-11-2021, 06:37 PM

Playing devil's advocate and considering you are the official Grammar Nazi on "the other site", I'd have to agree with your wife. "You", by definition, can be used to refer to any person in general. And seeing your own D many times in your garage obviously isn't the same as seeing many Ds around... So I would consider it as a compliment, admiring its rarity.
Without being there to hear how things are said, one never knows. :deviltail:

I totally agree and I'm always trying harder to be nice. I thought I was being funny when I responded that way (and was very nice to the guy IIRC,) but it was one of those things where it sounded funny inside my head....but not as funny when I let it out -lol!

Michael
04-11-2021, 08:23 PM
Just today I had a kid who just got through with cancer treatment approach me and started gushing over the car. He was pretty knowledgeable and even had a DeLorean brochure that he kept on him. He then stated it had a 2.58 PRV and that's when I remembered Rich's no nonsense approach and I unloaded on his azz. "HOW DARE YOU SAY SOMETHING SO STUPID! GO, GET OUTTA HERE AND TAKE YOUR IV STAND WITH YOU!" His mom was sobbing (probably because she was so embarrassed over her son's idiotic statement) and I retreated to my car for a final Richesque move, I smashed his teddy bear under my tire as I left....confident that I had indeed properly educated yet another fan.

Thanks Rich, your experience has given us all a shining example of ambassadorship!

Rich_NYS
04-11-2021, 08:30 PM
Just today I had a kid who just got through with cancer treatment approach me and started gushing over the car. He was pretty knowledgeable and even had a DeLorean brochure that he kept on him. He then stated it had a 2.58 PRV and that's when I remembered Rich's no nonsense approach and I unloaded on his azz. "HOW DARE YOU SAY SOMETHING SO STUPID! GO, GET OUTTA HERE AND TAKE YOUR IV STAND WITH YOU!" His mom was sobbing (probably because she was so embarrassed over her son's idiotic statement) and I retreated to my car for a final Richesque move, I smashed his teddy bear under my tire as I left....confident that I had indeed properly educated yet another fan.

Thanks Rich, your experience has given us all a shining example of ambassadorship!

LMAO You bastard -lol! I'm very nice to people! I challenge anyone here to claim they never said something that missed the mark.

Now my feelings are hurt and I feel victimized...and you're mean! *sniff*

Jonathan
04-12-2021, 07:53 AM

Taking it so seriously? Nah, not at all. Anything on this thread is mostly just the equivalent of co-workers in the lunchroom on break talking about dumb stuff at their jobs. We all get that it's just people breaking the ice and saying hello in their own way. Like the pretty girl analogy you made and having heard the same line a million times. All the correction-Nazi stuff got born via the Internet and usually stays there. I don't do the crossover from Internet to the real world on things like that. There's no point.

mr_maxime
04-17-2021, 12:45 PM
This one was dumb but I liked it. Contractor at work told me he had seen a delorean with the ass end burnt out and I immediately thought "oh here we go" and he followed with "when they looked at it they found out he set the time machine to 2020"

Michael
04-17-2021, 07:21 PM
Not a stupid comment but it was the first time I have heard this.

Guy in his 30's to 40's asked what kind of car it was. I told him and he said "Never heard of it".

He might have been trying to troll but he was nice, said he thought it looked cool. If he was messing with me, I didn't give him any satisfaction. I said thanks and never broke my stride. Rich is rubbing off on me I guess.

DaraSue
04-18-2021, 10:36 AM
Maybe this should be in the positive stories thread because it was more hilarious than obnoxious but I had a guy come up to me in my driveway and offer to trade me one of these for my car: 66029

He actually seemed like a pretty nice dude and he was older and knew one of my coworkers so he might have been legit but it was the first time that's happened. I didn't take him up on his offer :rofl:

Rich_NYS
04-18-2021, 04:21 PM
LMAO You bastard -lol! I'm very nice to people! I challenge anyone here to claim they never said something that missed the mark.

Now my feelings are hurt and I feel victimized...and you're mean! *sniff*

Last year, yo!

Not a stupid comment but it was the first time I have heard this.

Guy in his 30's to 40's asked what kind of car it was. I told him and he said "Never heard of it".

He might have been trying to troll but he was nice, said he thought it looked cool. If he was messing with me, I didn't give him any satisfaction. I said thanks and never broke my stride. Rich is rubbing off on me I guess.

-I'm glad you're working on being nicer, mister! :biggrin:

Michael
04-18-2021, 05:44 PM
Last year, yo!

Nice bro! I really wish I had made a photo journal of all the people I have let sit my car. It's too late to start now as that number would always be 100+ less than what it should be.

bytes311
04-18-2021, 11:06 PM
Random guy at a gas station asked, "What's the difference between JZD's DeLorean and a regular DeLorean? John's DeLorean weighs one kilo more." I chuckled.

RamblinDMC
04-19-2021, 10:52 AM
A few weekends ago we did a 1500 mile road trip in 2203 down to North Carolina and back. It was a blast! While stopping for lunch I got one of my favorite comments yet. It isn't directly DMC related, but the car spurred the conversation. One of the restaurant employees looked out of the window and said, "Is that your DeLorean? I'm actually a big fan of AMC, I used to own a Toyota RX7. It was rear engine too!" I knew he meant an MR2, but it was still pretty funny.

I started to correct him as he said AMC, but I realized it was a lost cause lol. I just said, "wow that's cool man!"

WHO1DMC
05-30-2021, 08:33 PM
I heard a new one today. I found it to be more funny than stupid. Today at a car show this 7 or 8 year old girl walked up to my Delorean and she says to her parents it looks like the Batmobile. I said well that's definitely a new one.

Dave B.

Helirich
05-31-2021, 10:04 AM
A few weekends ago we did a 1500 mile road trip in 2203 down to North Carolina and back. It was a blast! While stopping for lunch I got one of my favorite comments yet. It isn't directly DMC related, but the car spurred the conversation. One of the restaurant employees looked out of the window and said, "Is that your DeLorean? I'm actually a big fan of AMC, I used to own a Toyota RX7. It was rear engine too!" I knew he meant an MR2, but it was still pretty funny.

I started to correct him as he said AMC, but I realized it was a lost cause lol. I just said, "wow that's cool man!"

I've only owned the car a few months and I can't count the number of times people have said it was AMC. Several times, it was auto parts guys looking it up in their book.

WHO1DMC
05-31-2021, 12:01 PM
I've only owned the car a few months and I can't count the number of times people have said it was AMC. Several times, it was auto parts guys looking it up in their book.

Unfortunately there are people who confuse the Delorean with the Bricklin which sourced parts from AMC. I had a older gentleman tell me he was able to work on one because it has a Ford engine and he knows Fords. Again the Bricklin has Ford engines.

Dave B.

Ron
05-31-2021, 01:44 PM
I've only owned the car a few months and I can't count the number of times people have said it was AMC. Several times, it was auto parts guys looking it up in their book.lol...must be an age thing; they were only off a ~decade.

Unfortunately there are people who confuse the Delorean with the Bricklin which sourced parts from AMC. I had a older gentleman tell me he was able to work on one because it has a Ford engine and he knows Fords. Again the Bricklin has Ford engines.

Dave B.
The 74 had a 360 AMC. (They went to the wimpy Windsor in 75 ;-)

Josh
05-31-2021, 03:06 PM

This is a running joke with my friends and I. I hear it from passerbys fairly often "You dont see one of those everyday" and its true from their perspective.
However people close to me infact DO see one of those everyday. We still say it to each other in jest.

WHO1DMC
05-31-2021, 03:50 PM
This is a running joke with my friends and I. I hear it from passerbys fairly often "You dont see one of those everyday" and its true from their perspective.
However people close to me infact DO see one of those everyday. We still say it to each other in jest.

Yesterday I went to a show and I was interviewed on the radio and guy says you don't see these every day and well I go every time I go out to the garage! 😋 He was well us normal people don't.

So I guess we're not normal and I'm fine with that. My best friend has told me can't you do anything normal! I say what fun is that!

Dave B.

Helirich
07-11-2021, 12:12 PM

Yesterday I went to a show and I was interviewed on the radio and guy says you don't see these every day and well I go every time I go out to the garage! 😋 He was well us normal people don't.

So I guess we're not normal and I'm fine with that. My best friend has told me can't you do anything normal! I say what fun is that!

Dave B.

Ever since you guys posted this it seems everybody says this to me. I've started saying "Well actually, I do". My wife says I'm being mean. Is that how it sounds?

On another note, people ask to take pics. I always reply "knock yourself out". Sometimes people ask if they can take a pic with them sitting in it. I don't mind that at a car show, but not at a gas station. Am I being an ass?

JBaker4981
07-12-2021, 01:59 PM
Ever since you guys posted this it seems everybody says this to me. I've started saying "Well actually, I do". My wife says I'm being mean. Is that how it sounds?

To me, no. Smartass? Yes. Some people would consider it the same thing.

On another note, people ask to take pics. I always reply "knock yourself out". Sometimes people ask if they can take a pic with them sitting in it. I don't mind that at a car show, but not at a gas station. Am I being an ass?

Not at all. It's your car/private property and at a gas station, you are clearly getting fuel and going somewhere. It has its place at car shows, cruise ins, etc. If I don't want to deal with it, I would just say something like "Honestly I've got to get going for an X appointment across town". Lying, yes. But there's a place for everything and sometimes a gas station isn't it. I'm probably the asshole but I don't care.

When I do let folks sit, I normally teach them the proper way of getting in and out of the car (Butt first, then swing legs in) rather than letting people sit practically on the back rest of the seat and slide down. Some days you just won't want to deal with it or my gun is still in the car.

MrChocky
07-13-2021, 09:06 AM
"Can you still get a sorted car for $20K?"

Sorry, dude. I have a copy of DeLorean World from 1995ish, and the classifieds have cars ranging from 18-25K. Whether those cars were sorted or
not is another matter.

As an aside, also in that issue is an ad for Don Steger's services, and his picture where he is sporting an exceptionally bushy mustache.

Kukem
07-13-2021, 11:38 AM

Dave B.

I get the Bricklin thing ALL the time due to the Bricklin being made in this city. Gets annoying, but what can you do.

84Impulse
07-13-2021, 09:36 PM
I think the Bricklin is an interesting and esthetically pleasing car. I love all cars, whether a piece of shit or ugly

bytes311
07-16-2021, 12:57 PM
People confuse my AMC Pacer with the Gremlin all the time. :hmm:

MrChocky
07-20-2021, 10:15 PM
Walnut Street Invitational yesterday. Lot of very nice cars including an SL300. But the DeLorean was easy the most popular. Except for this clown. 66830

Michael
07-20-2021, 11:07 PM
Walnut Street Invitational yesterday. Lot of very nice cars including an SL300. But the DeLorean was easy the most popular. Except for this clown. 66830

He's right you know.

Jimmyvonviggle
07-20-2021, 11:32 PM
He's right you know.

Maybe so but this guy obviously lives in his parent’s basement, drives an electric scooter and has never kissed a woman.

Michael
07-21-2021, 12:13 AM
Maybe so but this guy obviously lives in his parent’s basement, drives an electric scooter and has never kissed a woman.

You know the saying. Even a broken douchebag fuckstraw is right twice a day.

Citizen
07-21-2021, 07:47 AM
People confuse my AMC Pacer with the Gremlin all the time. :hmm:

People confuse my Challenger with a Charger all the time too.

MrChocky
07-21-2021, 09:30 AM

No doubt. And his comments on other cars only reinforce the stereotype. The event attracted thousands of people, and it would have been obvious by the
comments and people stopping for pictures that the DeLorean was the most popular car there. Many of these events are run by the stuffy vintage
car types and ask for donations (I didn't - hell, it cost me a bunch of time to prep the car).

Also present was a very loud big block barn find Chevelle - deliberately kept rough by the owner to make the point. Not my thing, but also very
popular.

The owner of the SL300 proved to be a nice guy, letting kids sit in his nearly 2 million dollar car. The owner of the SLS next to it was
apparently less impressed. Had I arrived a little early, I could have parked next to them, which would have been quite a sight.

One kid of 18 or so proved to have extensive knowledge of the car, had never seen the movies and had started his savings fund. An older
guy used to work on the panels back in the day and talked to me about some methods for doing that.

Helirich
08-04-2021, 05:45 PM
So I was at a gas station yesterday and I was filling up. I don't have gas flap, so my Luggage door was open. This guy comes up and asks "is the engine in the back"?

JBaker4981
08-05-2021, 05:10 PM
So I was at a gas station yesterday and I was filling up. I don't have gas flap, so my Luggage door was open. This guy comes up and asks "is the engine in the back"?

"No, it's a Harbor Freight motor under the carpet here" :8ball:

Helirich
09-29-2021, 06:58 PM
Two more gems on my trip.

A girl says "I didn't know they existed anymore".

This guy comes up and asks a few standard questions and then he says "this is the first one I've seen. I only know it because it was in a movie I saw". He said this in such a way that he wasn't sure if I knew that.

martydmc12
09-30-2021, 10:57 PM
This guy comes up and asks a few standard questions and then he says "this is the first one I've seen. I only know it because it was in a movie I saw". He said this in such a way that he wasn't sure if I knew that.

We should start playing with peoples heads when they start making Back to the Future comments, or asking question about the films. "Back to the what? Never heard of it."

Helirich
10-04-2021, 06:49 PM
My drive home from Delaware got two more responses.

First, a guy running a register at a gas station tells me he had a friend that had a "factory painted" one. I told him I don't believe there were any factory painted cars. Then he tells me it had the factory paint code on the data plate. I didn't care to argue since we are talking about a car his friend sold ten years ago.

The second guy I ran into at a rest area. He goes into this long speel on the history of the car and its designer. He was technically correct for the most part, but he didn't tell me anything I didn't know. For that matter, anything that any "car guy" wouldn't know. I just don't follow the logic of walking up to an owner and assuming he doesn't know anything about his car. I might be able to tell an average person something they don't know about a Bronco, but I would never walk up to a Bronco owner and assume he doesn't know everything I know.

Michael
10-05-2021, 07:03 PM
When I rolled into Jesse's tech meet a few months ago I was in my wife's convertible. Nobody there had met me before except Jesse and everyone was looking at me like "who's this clown?"

I almost...so close, almost convinced myself to play the part of the most obnoxious douche fanboy any owner had ever seen.

On second thought it wouldn't have worked because I was wearing my DMC tech shirt.

Can't wait to meet an owner in the wild though. He/she will have a story to tell here.

MrChocky
10-18-2021, 08:50 AM
I think this belongs here:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-delorean-dmc-12-almost-had-a-turbocharger/?fbclid=IwAR13AyCjHxokKwn1soKTjZFjgi71GUgUdCDkEPc_ wvV70bARuX3K_Crhd7U

"Let’s make one thing clear. The DeLorean DMC-12 was only famous for its unusual styling, which earned its casting in the timeless film Back to the Future. The DMC-12 has almost no redeeming value under the hood, which is a shame because it came so close. Aside from a severe lack of power, the cars were cheaply put together and broke down. Johnny Carson had two because the first one went right back to the factory for repairs after a brief period of owning it. To his credit, John DeLorean tried to make the car faster."

It gets worse after that.

BladeBronson
10-18-2021, 10:40 AM
The only bits in that article that I really object to is calling it sloppy and that the door panels don’t fit. I’ve never heard that one before! Also, calling DMCH a “factory”.

Ron
10-18-2021, 11:31 AM

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-delorean-dmc-12-almost-had-a-turbocharger/?fbclid=IwAR13AyCjHxokKwn1soKTjZFjgi71GUgUdCDkEPc_ wvV70bARuX3K_Crhd7U

"Let’s make one thing clear. The DeLorean DMC-12 was only famous for its unusual styling..."And here I thought stainless steel had something to do with it...:rolleyes:

Helirich
10-18-2021, 03:59 PM
The only bits in that article that I really object to is calling it sloppy and that the door panels don’t fit. I’ve never heard that one before! Also, calling DMCH a “factory”.

I would say this whole sentence was BS.

"Aside from a severe lack of power, the cars were cheaply put together and broke down."

I don't see how these cars are any cheaper put together than any others. Do they brake down? Of course they do, along with every other car on the planet. Actually, I have to say my 40 year old, hundred thousand mile car has been pretty reliable. I even have a bone to pick with "lack of power". The car effortlessly will cruise at 85 mph. I don't have any problem excellerating in to traffic. I'm not going to challenge mustangs to a drag race, but I don't have any wish to do that with my wife's Corvette either. With current roads and speed limits, it does everything I need to do.

sdg3205
10-19-2021, 11:59 PM

"Let’s make one thing clear. The DeLorean DMC-12 was only famous for its unusual styling, which earned its casting in the timeless film Back to the Future. The DMC-12 has almost no redeeming value under the hood, which is a shame because it came so close. Aside from a severe lack of power, the cars were cheaply put together and broke down. Johnny Carson had two because the first one went right back to the factory for repairs after a brief period of owning it. To his credit, John DeLorean tried to make the car faster."

It gets worse after that.

A guy with a keyboard and an opinion.

Opinions are like assholes; Everyone has one and most of them stink.

Jonathan
10-28-2021, 08:55 AM
Was there a reality TV show or documentary earlier this year that made a big fuss about the doors getting stuck closed?

I have people asking me about the doors getting stuck. Like at almost every show and it's strange because no one ever used to ask such a thing. I figure it's because it got played up on some show or clip and so that's what people think now... that the biggest problem on the car was the doors getting stuck.

MrChocky
10-28-2021, 09:41 AM
Was there a reality TV show or documentary earlier this year that made a big fuss about the doors getting stuck closed?

I have people asking me about the doors getting stuck. Like at almost every show and it's strange because no one ever used to ask such a thing. I figure it's because it got played up on some show or clip and so that's what people think now... that the biggest problem on the car was the doors getting stuck.

People latch (no pun intended, really), onto things they heard or think they heard without further research. People enjoy drama. I don't recall any specific mention of the doors, but I follow the news pretty close on articles about the car, and the one that comes up most often is that the car is heavy.
(of course, it's not, compared to other cars of the era - certain misprints notwithstanding). People usually remember problems and not later fixes.

Helirich
10-28-2021, 10:55 AM

I think some people like to point out bad things about the car because they are envious. One time I was talking to a guy about the car. I told him I had a lot of issues with the fuel system and the electrical system when I fist got the car. He makes the statement “They all have those problems”. After talking to him some more, I can tell he doesn’t know sh*t about the car and mine is the first one he’s ever seen. He goes on to tell me it’s a PITA when the clear coat starts to peal off the stainless.

Michael
10-28-2021, 04:33 PM
I think some people like to point out bad things about the car because they are envious. One time I was talking to a guy about the car. I told him I had a lot of issues with the fuel system and the electrical system when I fist got the car. He makes the statement “They all have those problems”. After talking to him some more, I can tell he doesn’t know sh*t about the car and mine is the first one he’s ever seen. He goes on to tell me it’s a PITA when the clear coat starts to peal off the stainless.

This. Many people see a DeLorean(or any car they would love to own but perceive as being out of their grasp) and immediately deal with their own envy and jealousy by degrading the car or the owner(or both). Whatever insult they deal will be both demoralizing to the object they desire and self serving. As in "I would never own a car with such an evil history". Or "I don't want to deal with the constant headaches of owning a piece of shit".

These kind of people are easy to type:

Helirich
12-03-2021, 05:27 PM
Funny exchange today at the gas station.

First a girl says “That’s the first car I’ve ever seen that you open the hood to pump gas.” She was if front of me, so she couldn’t see. I said “technically it’s the trunk because the engine is in the rear, but I know what you mean.” So she goes on to ask some more questions. She obviously liked the car, but what was really refreshing is it became obvious that she didn’t recognize the car from the movie. Even when I told her it was a Delorean, she repeated it like she was trying to remember it. She was about 35 maybe.

So after she finished pumping her gas, she went inside to get her change. This loudmouth guy comes up and starts remarking on the car. Well she comes back out and stands there looking and asks a couple other questions. The guy realizes she doesn’t know what it is and starts giving her a class. First he says “This is the exact car from BTTF.” Then he says “The big three auto makers put Delorean out of business because they didn’t like him making a car for $3500.” He went on to say “They only made these for a few years in the late 80’s”. Finally, he says “The doors go up and forward as they open”.

So how should I have handled that?

Michael
12-03-2021, 05:37 PM
First he says “This is the exact car from BTTF.” Then he says “The big three auto makers put Delorean out of business because they didn’t like him making a car for $3500.” He went on to say “They only made these for a few years in the late 80’s”. Finally, he says “The doors go up and forward as they open”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yptXkLglKkA

JBaker4981
12-10-2021, 08:46 AM

You will eventually stop caring about those clowns as it makes no difference what you tell them. They are self-proclaimed masters of the cars.

The first car show this year, a guy made a statement to his wife, girlfriend, daughter, whoever about it having a 351 Cleveland in it despite them standing at the back of the car looking at the engine. Sure it is pal. That laminated window sticker back there absolutely says it is a 351 Cleveland.

It's not worth my time to get out of my chair and correct them as 88.121% of the time they will correct YOU... the owner.

Helirich
12-10-2021, 09:39 AM
You will eventually stop caring about those clowns as it makes no difference what you tell them. They are self-proclaimed masters of the cars.

The first car show this year, a guy made a statement to his wife, girlfriend, daughter, whoever about it having a 351 Cleveland in it despite them standing at the back of the car looking at the engine. Sure it is pal. That laminated window sticker back there absolutely says it is a 351 Cleveland.

It's not worth my time to get out of my chair and correct them as 88.121% of the time they will correct YOU... the owner.

ThatÂ’s a good one. So I know Panatarra had ClevelandÂ’s in them. What did Bricklin have? I was thinking it was a Ford, but my brain is a bit foggy. I suppose he was confusing it with one of them.

In the case of my guy, The girl had already asked what year it was before he came up and proclaimed they were only made in the late eighties. So she might have got the hint he was in left field. But that was probably the least of his mistakes.

Ron
12-10-2021, 12:33 PM
ThatÂ’s a good one. So I know Panatarra had ClevelandÂ’s in them. What did Bricklin have?Pantera's had 302s and 351s (Cleveland and Windsor).
Bricklins had a 360 AMC, until they switched to 351 Windsors in 1975.

Helirich
12-16-2021, 09:48 PM
So I’m pumping gas again and this woman pulls up yells out her window “is that from BTTF”? I reply “Yes Ma’am”. Then she asks “what year”? I’m not exactly sure if she means year of the car or year of the future, but decided to be nice and say 81’. Then she says “that car holds a special place in my heart because that’s the year my son was born”. Now I hate to be cynical, but does that mean every car built in 81 holds a special place in her heart? I just smiled.

steve
12-17-2021, 04:45 PM
Now play nice with the Indigenous population.

Mark D
01-03-2022, 11:26 PM
This is a Smoking Tire podcast I recently watched where Matt Farah and Doug Demuro discuss (among many, many, other things) owning and driving a Lamborghini Countach and Ford GT, respectively. Matt's DeLorean ownership (and stupid comments from the general public) also comes up, which I found amusing. (~27 minute mark below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=54lKiRb4mvQ%3Ft%3D1616

More DeLorean / Jay Leno related talk also at 32:15

I watched the whole video and found it really entertaining. I'm a fan of Doug and his Youtube channel and I've pretty much watched all of his videos. His review of the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle was partially responsible for my eventual purchase of that vehicle. At this point he's driven pretty much every cool/quirky car that exists with only a few exceptions.

I know Matt Farah doesn't get much love around here due to the many reasons documented in his DMC ownership thread. I can't say that he's growing on me too much, but maybe a little.

Michael
01-04-2022, 11:53 AM
This is a Smoking Tire podcast I recently watched where Matt Farah and Doug Demuro discuss (among many, many, other things) owning and driving a Lamborghini Countach and Ford GT, respectively. Matt's DeLorean ownership (and stupid comments from the general public) also comes up, which I found amusing. (~27 minute mark below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=54lKiRb4mvQ%3Ft%3D1616

More DeLorean / Jay Leno related talk also at 32:15

I watched the whole video and found it really entertaining. I'm a fan of Doug and his Youtube channel and I've pretty much watched all of his videos. His review of the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle was partially responsible for my eventual purchase of that vehicle. At this point he's driven pretty much every cool/quirky car that exists with only a few exceptions.

I know Matt Farah doesn't get much love around here due to the many reasons documented in his DMC ownership thread. I can't say that he's growing on me too much, but maybe a little.

I'm sure Farah is a good guy. Try talking all day everyday about cars, and sooner or later, (most likely sooner), you will piss off a group of loyalists. I wasn't crazy about his attitude towards other owner's cars, but he really is/was a DeLorean fan. At least he gave ownership a shot.

Timeless
01-13-2022, 10:07 AM
Demuro has some great info but does miss some things that my extremely vast knowledge encyclopedia brain could add to his reviews. Doug if you're reading this - reach out.
He does need to speak slower and more eloquently.

MrChocky
01-13-2022, 10:12 AM
Demuro has some great info but does miss some things that my extremely vast knowledge encyclopedia brain could add to his reviews. Doug if you're reading this - reach out.
He does need to speak slower and more eloquently.

Probably. But as someone with a funny accent and at time, a verbal loss for words, nor particularly camera-genic, I can relate. Problem is that DD is allergic to DeLoreans and in the past
has gone out of this way to avoid mentioning them. I don't know if he said anything in this interview.

Mark D
01-13-2022, 04:58 PM
Doug reviewed a time machine DeLorean like 4 years back and was generally positive in his review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5dtcoCfKw4

This was back when he was still working for autotrader and his video format was not as highly formulaic as it has now become. I also think the video predates giving a Doug Score to each car.

In the 3 hour podcast video from a few posts back, Doug doesn't really get into his own opinions of DeLoreans much.

At one point he comments on how Jay Leno isn't a fan, mostly because of John DeLorean himself. From the other videos I've seen of Leno, a big part of why he likes (or dislikes) certain cars is the story that goes along with them. He sees John DeLorean in a negative light so he doesn't like the car he built, somewhat regardless of the merits of the car itself.

Mark D
01-13-2022, 05:00 PM
This was an interesting interview with Adam Carolla and Jay Leno I watched the other day where they into some of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDZCxccGPv8

Timeless
01-14-2022, 08:26 AM
At one point he comments on how Jay Leno isn't a fan, mostly because of John DeLorean himself. From the other videos I've seen of Leno, a big part of why he likes (or dislikes) certain cars is the story that goes along with them. He sees John DeLorean in a negative light so he doesn't like the car he built, somewhat regardless of the merits of the car itself.
Odd considering what JZD did for the car industry in the 20th Century. Jay wouldn't have a GTO if it wasn't for JZD.

Michael
01-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Leno's snap judgements of a person's caliber based solely on misinformation he read on some BS internet blog disguised as a story makes him one of my least favorite car guys, right up there with Matt F, but a distant second from that pretentious prick Quentin Wilson.

Leno is highly regarded as a trustworthy source of info, he put his own personal feelings in front of fact (or he never bothered to research properly before popping off). In any event, when you have achieved that level of respect among the car community, you should pride yourself on giving correct information. When called out on his lack of research, he just doubles down on his debunked statements rather than admitting he is wrong.

PS: I don't believe that BS story of his "friend" that demanded 10 bucks from JZD in a restaurant any more than I believe in Lucas after dark.

Dickey
01-14-2022, 01:25 PM
Jay Leno's take on John Delorean seems spot on to me. With or without the $10 story, it is well documented that JZD was pissing away VC and other loaned cash as quickly as he could to show it off and he didn't seem to mind running his company into the ground while doing so. He even followed the now standard "blame government for my poor decisions and failure" shtick after it went under. For me it seems that if Delorean had cared more about his company, he'd have spent more time in Belfast/Dunmurry to effectively run the show instead of taking first class concorde flights back and forth across the Atlantic as if it were just another commute. Which is a shame as the car really could have been a symbol against the planned obsolescent cash grab mobiles.

Michael
01-14-2022, 02:14 PM
Jay Leno's take on John Delorean seems spot on to me. With or without the $10 story, it is well documented that JZD was pissing away VC and other loaned cash as quickly as he could to show it off and he didn't seem to mind running his company into the ground while doing so. He even followed the now standard "blame government for my poor decisions and failure" shtick after it went under. For me it seems that if Delorean had cared more about his company, he'd have spent more time in Belfast/Dunmurry to effectively run the show instead of taking first class concorde flights back and forth across the Atlantic as if it were just another commute. Which is a shame as the car really could have been a symbol against the planned obsolescent cash grab mobiles.

"You get caught with a suitcase of cocaine...you're guilty"

Jay Leno

Dickey
01-14-2022, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure how that is related to what I described. While that is a commonly held view on the man, it remains in contention and can be ignored. John Delorean's failure as a business man was that he spent way too much money and did not behave in a manner that would allow a new car company to be successful. He could have created something genuinely special and he opted not to so he could commute in a Concorde jet and throw lavish parties. Even with the entrapment gimmick, it wouldn't have been so damaging to his company had he been operating it responsibly. Pretending that the drug deal was the entire reason the company failed and the only reason people think poorly of JZD but he put in a lot of effort to make that single event able to accomplish what it did. That was the core of the Jay Leno article I read some years back and it tracks with what I am able to see of John Delorean from that era.

Michael
01-14-2022, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure how that is related to what I described. While that is a commonly held view on the man, it remains in contention and can be ignored. John Delorean's failure as a business man was that he spent way too much money and did not behave in a manner that would allow a new car company to be successful. He could have created something genuinely special and he opted not to so he could commute in a Concorde jet and throw lavish parties. Even with the entrapment gimmick, it wouldn't have been so damaging to his company had he been operating it responsibly. Pretending that the drug deal was the entire reason the company failed and the only reason people think poorly of JZD but he put in a lot of effort to make that single event able to accomplish what it did. That was the core of the Jay Leno article I read some years back and it tracks with what I am able to see of John Delorean from that era.

My point is Leno graded JZD's character (and to a lesser extent, the car's worthiness itself) based on common misconceptions that would have been easy to verify as false had he took the time to research what he was saying. JZD was no angel, but I would have hoped that anyone in a similar light be judged by facts than bs misinformation. To say he was a failed businessesman is debatable. He was HIGHLY successful. He risked it all to start his own company. It failed (or did it?). One mistake at the end of one's successful career can nullify everything he did in the past 35 years.
Case in point...this pile of garbage he penned a few years ago:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15444-Hagerty-magazine-(author-Jay-Leno)-DeLorean-Legacy-in-a-Briefcase

Dickey
01-16-2022, 09:02 AM
Agreed, one mistake can nullify all the good in a man's life or career.

martydmc12
04-16-2022, 01:06 AM
With the announcement of the new EV, I think we're about to all embark into a new chapter of stupid. Case in point...

https://youtu.be/9fjIdTx5bEQ

They did have computers with access to the internet right in front of them, and were pretty much clueless about common facts about the car. Didn't know what the doors were called, mentioned that the skin of the original car was metallic looking.

"IF" the EV gets manufactured, I'm anticipating a whole pile of stupid for us classic DMC-12 owners. A lot of Hipster Dufas types that are suddenly going to know everything about DeLorean, but won't know anything at all.

CFI
04-17-2022, 12:00 PM
With the announcement of the new EV, I think we're about to all embark into a new chapter of stupid. Case in point...

They did have computers with access to the internet right in front of them, and were pretty much clueless about common facts about the car. Didn't know what the doors were called, mentioned that the skin of the original car was metallic looking.

"IF" the EV gets manufactured, I'm anticipating a whole pile of stupid for us classic DMC-12 owners. A lot of Hipster Dufas types that are suddenly going to know everything about DeLorean, but won't know anything at all.

And?

Surely we have better things to do then care whether or not some stranger knows the complete DeLorean story.

Timeless
04-19-2022, 09:05 AM

The DaVinci will be manufactured - just will have badge engineering to market it as a 'DMC'. I guess we'll all find out more in August.

L3V3L1
04-27-2022, 04:42 PM
I'm usually pretty well prepared for the rare negative comment, but this guy tricked me with a compliment first. "Hey, is that a delorean?" Yes. "Wow that is really cool.........ugly as hell, but pretty cool."

Michael
04-27-2022, 07:05 PM
"Hey, is that a delorean?" Yes. "Wow that is really cool.........ugly as hell, but pretty cool."

"Well it's only one ahead of you then"

L3V3L1
05-16-2022, 01:37 PM

MrChocky
06-27-2022, 08:23 AM
Mom's basement 20-something type - "IT'S THE WORST ENGINE EVER!" "WELL, IT IS".

Somehow, my worst engine ever made the 45 minute trip at 70+ mph without a hitch and is still working just fine 40+ years on.

A lot of people this year are very insistent it's a GM engine, so that must be it.

iflights
06-27-2022, 09:49 AM

Somehow, my worst engine ever made the 45 minute trip at 70+ mph without a hitch and is still working just fine 40+ years on.

A lot of people this year are very insistent it's a GM engine, so that must be it.

Sorry you had to interact with that type.

Yesterday, I was at a casual car gathering in Milford MI, in the same general vicinity of the GM proving grounds with lots of American cars all with the loudest pipes. I figured in that crowd I'd get some jerk comment, but not one. Nothing but positivity and huge smiles.

Helirich
06-27-2022, 12:29 PM

I have a lot of guys tell me how unreliable it is. When I ask how many they have worked on, the response is usually “this is the first one I’ve ever seen”. Almost everyone thinks it’s made by AMC.

DeCobra
06-27-2022, 06:31 PM
I have a lot of guys tell me how unreliable it is. When I ask how many they have worked on, the response is usually “this is the first one I’ve ever seen”. Almost everyone thinks it’s made by AMC.

This is usually the response I have. I ask questions like "well what makes it a bad engine?" and that usually stops them in their tracks. I also tell people the PRV has been around for decades and has been in many cars including 800hp monsters which is more than I can say for some Mercedes, BMW, Rover, Jag, GM, etc. engines. Anyone can find fault in just about any car....just means it's not for them.

ssdelorean
06-28-2022, 08:40 PM
I have a lot of guys tell me how unreliable it is.

I often get this as well. I kindly tell them to "Suck It, Trebek!" - that my 245,000 mile car disagrees with their statement.

BladeBronson
07-14-2022, 04:21 PM
Overheard as I was eating lunch outside near my DeLorean:

Woman 1: Oooh look, it’s a DeLorean! Don’t touch it though.
Woman 2: Why?
Woman 1: Because of the metal. It’s hot.

While probably accurate, I wouldn’t expect it to be notably hotter than any other car parked in the sun. But if that’s what it takes to keep people from touching my car, I’m for it!

Jonathan
07-15-2022, 08:07 AM
Overheard as I was eating lunch outside near my DeLorean:

While probably accurate, I wouldn’t expect it to be notably hotter than any other car parked in the sun. But if that’s what it takes to keep people from touching my car, I’m for it!

What, what, is it hot? No, cold, damn cold!

Jonathan
07-15-2022, 08:08 AM
I have Fuzion tires on my car. Guy asked me if I got those on purpose. Like Fuzion... fusion... Mr. Fusion. Alrighty then... see ya later!

81dmc
08-03-2022, 02:03 PM
Was at parts store a few days ago buying some wiring.

Guy: So whatchu workin on?

Me: Just rewiring the Delorean.

Guy: Oh that gmc car?

Me: Uh, no DMC for Delorean Mot…

Guy: Made by gmc.

Me: :facepalm:

Timeless
08-03-2022, 03:58 PM
100% retarded for people to open their mouths and spew inaccurate words in today's world with the ability to search to read about facts regarding DMC, DMCL & the DMC-12. If I don't know something I ask or keep my mouth shut.
A smart person knows what to say - a wise person knows whether to say it or not.

BladeBronson
08-03-2022, 11:51 PM
Somehow, my first DeLorean (circa 2000) was registered in California as a GMC. I was pulled over one night for a really long time and the officers kept asking me what kind of car it was and if I also own a truck. The finally told me that the car was registered as a GMC truck. I don't remember how or if it was ever resolved.

Sidaries
08-04-2022, 03:10 AM
Somehow, my first DeLorean (circa 2000) was registered in California as a GMC. I was pulled over one night for a really long time and the officers kept asking me what kind of car it was and if I also own a truck. The finally told me that the car was registered as a GMC truck. I don't remember how or if it was ever resolved.

My friend's Delorean's color was registered as brown. I don't know who saw it brown, but needs glasses.

iflights
08-04-2022, 08:42 AM
My current Michigan registration refers to the car as a CONVERTIBLE. I guess if the doors don't open the usual way, DMV people get all freaked out.

Helirich
10-06-2022, 10:39 PM
So today I went to an auto parts store. (Parts for my truck) One of the employees came out with a customer to look at the car. He says to me. “Is this the one they had up at Bondy’s?” (Bondy is a car dealer about 50 miles from here.) I told him it was not up there, but I’m keen to meet the owner. I asked “When did you see it there?”. He says “Well, it was when I was working there, so I guess about 1990”.

I realize there aren’t a lot of these around, but to assume it’s one you saw 50 miles away, 30 years ago is a little much.

NJP548
10-07-2022, 09:54 AM
So today I went to an auto parts store. (Parts for my truck) One of the employees came out with a customer to look at the car. He says to me. “Is this the one they had up at Bondy’s?” (Bondy is a car dealer about 50 miles from here.) I told him it was not up there, but I’m keen to meet the owner. I asked “When did you see it there?”. He says “Well, it was when I was working there, so I guess about 1990”.

I realize there aren’t a lot of these around, but to assume it’s one you saw 50 miles away, 30 years ago is a little much.

You would have blown his mind if you told him 'Yes, it was the one at Bondy's about 30 years ago. Great memory'

-Nick

81dmc
03-20-2023, 02:08 PM
Things are getting stupid expensive with housing down here, so some people are moving, and a few loaded folks are moving in.

And so a new neighbor came up to introduce himself. He was excited to see the DeLorean. He was saying he knew the founder of the company... I glossed over that as I'm used to the weird statements, but then he said "yeah, he's the founder of AMC." :facepalm: At that point, I had to clear it up.

It's funny though. He wanted to ride around in the car and he owns a freaking Aventador and about three jets.

So I guess I should let him drive the DeLorean around so I can take the Lambo for a spin? Sound like an good deal?

Isn't it absolutely wonderful how the DeLorean can transcend time and all levels of wealth? It's simply the best car.

Timeless
03-20-2023, 02:59 PM
Isn't it absolutely wonderful how the DeLorean can transcend time and all levels of wealth? It's simply the best car.
We are flooded with Aventadors and similar high-dollar vehicles where you and I live. A simple pass down 5th Avenue is all it takes for every person on scene to stare, smile, record, point, comment, thumbs up the DeLorean.
It takes a Koenigsegg to amass similar reactions in our town.

81dmc
03-20-2023, 03:02 PM
We are flooded with Aventadors and similar high-dollar vehicles where you and I live. A simple pass down 5th Avenue is all it takes for every person on scene to stare, smile, record, point, comment, thumbs up the DeLorean.
It takes a Koenigsegg to amass similar reactions in our town.
True..

Have you ever been down towards Santa Barbara and Radio Rd? I saw another DeLorean driving there a few years ago, and haven't seen it since.

Timeless
03-20-2023, 04:00 PM
True..

Have you ever been down towards Santa Barbara and Radio Rd? I saw another DeLorean driving there a few years ago, and haven't seen it since.
I have not. To my knowledge there were only 3 of us in the area.

Mark D
03-21-2023, 11:30 AM
Things are getting stupid expensive with housing down here, so some people are moving, and a few loaded folks are moving in.

And so a new neighbor came up to introduce himself. He was excited to see the DeLorean. He was saying he knew the founder of the company... I glossed over that as I'm used to the weird statements, but then he said "yeah, he's the founder of AMC." :facepalm: At that point, I had to clear it up.

It's funny though. He wanted to ride around in the car and he owns a freaking Aventador and about three jets.

So I guess I should let him drive the DeLorean around so I can take the Lambo for a spin? Sound like an good deal?

Definitely take him up on it if he offers to let you drive the Lambo in exchange for him driving the DeLorean.

It's pretty crazy that even now the inflated prices of DeLoreans that the smiles-per-dollar is still off the charts. It's been a while since I had anyone make a negative comment about it while driving around, it's just thumbs up everywhere.

andyo
03-24-2023, 09:10 AM
Its probably been done already, but i decided yesterday to start sending the stupid DeLorean comments the opposite way yesterday. My neighbor had his car up on blocks with all four wheels off. So i asked him, "Hey, you doing a Hover conversion?"

He laughed a little. And I felt vindicated.

iflights
03-24-2023, 09:32 AM
Its probably been done already, but i decided yesterday to start sending the stupid DeLorean comments the opposite way yesterday. My neighbor had his car up on blocks with all four wheels off. So i asked him, "Hey, you doing a Hover conversion?"

Well played.

AugustneverEnds
03-24-2023, 10:05 AM

:bigclap: :thumbup:

glockworks21
04-02-2023, 08:12 PM
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-delorean-dmc-12-105/

multiple stupid comments on this auction.

i like the comments regarding the rubber hose links on coolant lines that they think are part of the exhaust.

I feel like logging into bat and posting my first ever comment. Clearly trying to drive auction down. sad.

glockworks21
04-02-2023, 08:50 PM
omg its getting worse. They are flagging all his comments now. LOL I wish i would have screen shot them :o(

81dmc
04-02-2023, 09:00 PM
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-delorean-dmc-12-105/

multiple stupid comments on this auction.

i like the comments regarding the rubber hose links on coolant lines that they think are part of the exhaust.

I feel like logging into bat and posting my first ever comment. Clearly trying to drive auction down. sad.

Once I saw the comment about the rubber hoses on the "exhaust," I had to reply.

That Ahotrods guy.. man what a dumbass...

mike123
04-02-2023, 09:33 PM
I am hoping the trolling won't harm the price; hopefully anyone interested can look past it.

What might hurt the price though is another black automatic on eBay which ends the same day, and appears to be nicer. Although the eBay car didn't meet reserve in its auction last week with a final bid of $47,600, and it's right back up there again this week with a reserve, so who knows.

BladeBronson
04-11-2023, 07:00 PM
"A DeLorean! I haven't seen one of those since the 70s!"

MrChocky
04-13-2023, 04:53 PM
Once I saw the comment about the rubber hoses on the "exhaust," I had to reply.

That Ahotrods guy.. man what a dumbass...

Don't worry, he's bidding on the latest car. Maybe he'll turn up here shortly.

81dmc
04-13-2023, 05:16 PM
Don't worry, he's bidding on the latest car. Maybe he'll turn up here shortly.

Nah probably on one of the FB groups.

Helirich
05-08-2023, 07:20 PM
Had a different comment today. I was getting gas and this guy came up and said

?I can?t believe you own a Delorean?.

Now, I didn?t know this guy from Adam and of course, he didn?t know me. So there?s thousands of Deloreans out there and they all have owners that he doesn?t know. Maybe he expected a Delorean owner to look different. I wasn?t warning a tuxedo, but I wasn?t dressed like a bum either.

JBaker4981
05-14-2023, 12:24 PM
Had a different comment today. I was getting gas and this guy came up and said

?I can?t believe you own a Delorean?.

Now, I didn?t know this guy from Adam and of course, he didn?t know me. So there?s thousands of Deloreans out there and they all have owners that he doesn?t know. Maybe he expected a Delorean owner to look different. I wasn?t warning a tuxedo, but I wasn?t dressed like a bum either.

Most likely some ignorant fool that thinks that the car is unobtanium.

Latest comment regarding Asshole-ish DeLorean comments:
*loading groceries into DMC at Walmart last week*
Redneck two aisles over: Hey, MCFLY!
Me: Hey, Fuck You!